A Most Unexpected Christmas by Asphodel Evans
Past Featured StorySummary: A series of events after Arthur Weasley is attacked at the Ministry of Magic leads to Harry spending the Christmas holidays with Snape at Spinner's End.
Categories: Fic Fests > #5 Winter, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, McGonagall, Ron, Sirius
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: General
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 7 Completed: No Word count: 9416 Read: 67078 Published: 09 Dec 2007 Updated: 11 Jan 2008
Chapter 6 by Asphodel Evans

Exactly thirty minutes after Severus reported Potter’s “disappearance,” Cornelius Fudge and two Aurors arrived at Hogwarts via the fireplace in Umbridge’s office. As soon as trio emerged from the flames, Severus knew that the search Umbridge was feverishly organizing would fail, for the Aurors were none other than Kingsley Shacklebolt and Nymphadora Tonks.

“I heard that Potter doesn’t even like his relatives.” Tonks said just as Fudge was preparing to dispatch more Aurors to Little Whinging.

“I suppose you could leave a look-out at St. Mungo’s.” Shacklebolt replied when Fudge decided that Potter would run to what had become his surrogate family. “But if Potter had planned to visit the Weasleys, surely he would have done so as soon as school let out for the holidays.”

The two Aurors did agree that perhaps Umbridge should search for Potter in the Forbidden Forest. Unfortunately, Filch had joined the discussion by then and felt inclined to remind Umbridge that the Forbidden Forest was forbidden for a reason.

In the end, it was determined that Potter could only have left the school on foot. His broom was still locked away, he could not Disapparate, and the Floo Network was closely monitored.

“And obviously” Umbridge huffed “No one here would create a Portkey for the boy.”

Tonks and Shacklebolt were dispatched to St. Mungo’s, and Fudge arranged to have two more Aurors stay in Hogsmeade. Another Auror was ordered to watch the Dursley home.

“Do not fret, Dolores.” Fudge said soothingly to the harried-looking woman. “We’ll find Potter straight away, perhaps even before he runs into an Auror. After all, the boy is bound to use underage magic at some point.”

Not if I can help it, Severus thought.

Umbridge and Filch arranged to take turns patrolling the grounds in case Potter decided to return to the castle. The group seemed to have forgotten that Severus was still in the room, for no one suggested that he assist with the search. Severus had not spoken since lying to Fudge and the Aurors about searching for Potter after lunch, and it also helped that he had spent the entire meeting near the door.

“If you have no further need of me,” The Potions Master said, “I do have some potions to brew for Madam Pomfrey.”

Umbridge waved him away in dismissal, Tonks and Shacklebolt gave him a courteous nod, and Fudge did not appear to notice that he had even spoken. Severus slipped out of the office and immediately went to his quarters. He paced briefly in front of the fireplace and racked his brain for anything that needed to be done before he left Hogwarts for the evening. Potter’s owl had already been released, a brief missive to Dumbledore secured firmly to one leg. There were quicker ways to communicate, but since Severus did not know where Dumbledore was, his options were limited. The professor’s quarters were already heavily warded unwanted visitors, and Severus added an extra ward to the door that would send a signal if Umbridge came looking for him.

Satisfied, Severus removed the illegal Portkey from his robes and grasped it firmly, then disappeared. As soon as he reappeared in the sitting room of his home on Spinner’s End, he braced himself for a barrage of questions from his unwilling guest. Instead, he found Potter asleep in the armchair.

How much sleep can the brat need? Severus thought irritably.

He strode across the room, fully intending to shake Potter awake. Then the boy moaned and jerked in the chair, and Severus paused. The jerking and moaning increased, and it soon became clear that the boy was in the throes of a particularly nasty nightmare.

“Wonderful.” Severus muttered. He cleared his throat and, speaking loudly, commanded, “Wake up, Potter.”

The young wizard did not awaken, but the moaning stopped, and his movements became less spasmodic. Severus had just decided that perhaps the nightmare was over when Potter spoke.

In Parseltongue.


Ron once thought that nothing was worse than being screamed at by his mother. He was, however, currently being disabused of that notion.

“What were you thinking?” Molly Weasley shrieked at her youngest son. “Did your father and I raise you to treat your friends that way? No, we did not!”

She took a breath, and Hermione chimed in.

“Why not just ask Dumbledore?” She yelled.

“Or me?” Ginny added. “I do have some experience with this sort of thing, you know!”

“I didn’t think of that.” Ron admitted. He looked to Fred and George for support.

“Prat.” They said together.

Sirius was opening his mouth to speak when the doorbell rang. The portrait of his mother, which had already been roused by the screaming of the Weasley females and Hermione, grew louder.

“I wish people would stop ringing that blasted bell!” Sirius snarled as he rushed to the front door.

Taking advantage of the momentary distraction, Ron held up his hands in a pleading gesture and said, “I was wrong, alright? But I only did it to protect everyone. I know Harry’s not evil, but if he’s being possessed by You Know Who…” He trailed off and glanced around the room. While everyone looked slightly less murderous, they were still clearly angry. He sighed. “I suppose you want Harry to come stay here for the rest of the holidays?”

“I’m afraid that won’t be possible.” Sirius said from the doorway. Tonks was standing beside him, and they both looked very worried.

“Why?” Molly asked at once. “What’s happened, Sirius?”

It was Tonks who answered. “It appears that Harry has run away from Hogwarts.”

Hermione and Ginny gasped, and Molly made a soft moaning sound. Ron felt his heart sink into his stomach.

“It may be for the best.” Tonks hastened to add. “We didn’t know until after Fudge received the alert from Dolores Umbridge, but apparently there were plans to have Harry arrested and sent to Azkaban tonight.”

“What?” Hermione whispered. She reached out and gripped the arm of the settee. “How can they? He hasn’t done anything!”

“He is being charged with inflating his aunt two years ago.” Tonks replied. Hermione started to protest, and Tonks added, “But they can’t arrest him if they can’t find him, and Kingsley and I are doing our best to ensure that they don’t.”

“But where is he?” Molly cried. “He’s already in so much danger from Death Eaters and He Who Must Not Be Named! It can’t possibly be safe for him to be wandering about on his own.”

“Kingsley and I don’t think that Harry is on his own.” Tonks said. “We think that somehow, another member of the Order learned of Fudge’s plans and helped Harry escape before he could be arrested. It is our hope that this person either personally took Harry to a safe place or instructed Harry to meet him somewhere.”

“Him?” Hermione asked. “So you know who helped Harry?”

“We have an idea of who it might have been.” Tonks answered. “Unfortunately, we were unable to confirm our theory before being dispatched to London. Even if we had been,” she suddenly looked worried, “this is technically considered official Order business, so I really shouldn’t be discussing it with non-members at all.”

“It’s alright, Tonks.” Sirius assured his cousin. “Most of what you’ve said so far will be splashed across the front page of the Daily Prophet tomorrow, anyway.”

“Thanks, Sirius.” Tonks gave the children a reassuring smile. “Well, I should get to St. Mungo’s and give Kingsley a break from his watch.”

Sirius and Molly walked Tonks to the door, and the children were left on their own. Ginny and Hermione hugged one another while the twins began whispering excitedly. Meanwhile, Ron slumped in his seat and stared at his shoes, overcome by worry and a sickening feeling of guilt.

To be continued...
End Notes:
Thanks so much to everyone for reading and reviewing! I hit a bit of a creative snag earlier and found myself lacking the motivation to write, but your wonderful reviews provided just the inspiration I needed. Thanks so much! It is my hope to post the next chapter tonight or early Saturday morning.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1457