Arielle Potter : Book One by Serena Snape
Summary: AU Book I. Instead of there being a Harry Potter, there is an Arielle Potter, the girl-who-lived. Her life was totally changed when instead of Hagrid being the one that came for her to that hut on the rock, it was Severus Snape. The storyline is not what you expect. Arielle actually has a personality of her own. XD
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Fred George, McGonagall, Neville, Other, Remus
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, General, Humor, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Girl!Harry
Takes Place: 1st Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys
Challenges: None
Series: Arielle Potter
Chapters: 18 Completed: Yes Word count: 42737 Read: 86085 Published: 10 Dec 2007 Updated: 18 Jul 2008
Cedric Diggory by Serena Snape

The Library soon became one of Arielle's favourite places in the school, apart from the Great Hall, Severus's Quarters and the Headmaster's office. She and Neville were often seen studying at one of the tables and whispering to each other about classes and compared the Muggle and Wizarding habits and things. Arielle found out more about the Wizarding Rituals that way and in exchange, she taught Neville all that she knew about Muggles. Neville wouldn't have to take Muggle Studies as an elective that way. While she knew that she would have to choose electives in her second year, she couldn't resist reading more on the subjects Hogwarts offered. She found out that the electives were Care of Magical Creatures, taught by professor Kettleburn, Divination, taught by professor Trelawney, Ancient Runes, taught by professor Rolphus, Arithmancy, taught by professor Vector and Muggle Studies, taught by professor Wilbert.

It was also there that they overheard Ron Weasley telling his friends, Dean Thomas and Seamus Finnigan, about a three-headed dog in the forbidden corridor. Arielle and Neville looked at each other and rolled their eyes. Gryffindors. Always breaking the rules. But the three-headed dog caught their attention. Arielle was sure she heard of a creature like that before, but couldn't remember where.

She didn't have much time to think about it, though. They were expected at their first Flying lesson. Neville was frightened of heights and really didn't want to fly, while Arielle could hardly wait. Having read Quidditch Through the Ages, she got the basic knowledge of the sport and it fascinated her.

While walking to the grounds where the lessons were held, Arielle noticed that Neville was clutching a ball made of glass. After asking what it was, Neville replied that it was a Remembrall and that it would help him to remember things. Apparently his grandmother sent it. Arielle decided to write the letter to Mrs Augusta Longbottom that evening.

When they neared the grounds, Arielle noticed that apparently the Flying Lessons were with all the houses. Sighing to herself, she pulled Neville on the far right end of the students' line. Hermione Granger was in the first line, of course, alongside with Draco Malfoy. Ron Weasley was somewhere in the middle telling his friends how he flew at his home in the summer. Apparently almost all of the pure-blooded and half-blooded students knew how to fly.

Soon after, their professor, Rolanda Hooch, arrived and started the lecture. Soon after they were told to put their right hand over their broomsticks and say 'Up!' Arielle's broom flew to her hand even before she finished the word, Neville's only rolled on the floor, Ron Weasley's hit him in the face and Arielle giggled at the sight. Hermione Granger's also rolled on the floor. It seemed that she was afraid of heights as well. Malfoy's on the other hand also flew in his hand immediately. He smirked at the students around him smugly, before his face changed into a grimace as he noticed that Arielle was already holding her broomstick in her hand.

But the problems started when they were supposed to actually leave the ground. Poor Neville was so scared that he would be the last to stay on the ground flew up before professor Hooch could use the whistle. Arielle watched the horrifying scene with wide eyes and after Neville finally hit the floor, she was the first to be at his side. She sighed with relief when she saw that he was still conscious and that the only injury he seemed to get was a broken wrist.

She noticed that the Remembrall fell out of Neville's pocket, but decided to pick it up later. She had more pressing matters to attend to. She waited for the professor to take Neville to the Hospital Wing and turned to get Neville's Remembrall, but saw that she was too late. Draco Malfoy already got his hands on it. With a smug smile on his face, he watched the students as if daring them to come and claim it. Arielle decided to step up to the challenge. She knew she was better at magic as Malfoy. It was obvious in every class that they had together.

“Give it back, Malfoy,” she said calmly. “The Remembrall belongs to Neville. You have no right to take what isn't yours.”

Malfoy sent a smirk her way and asked her loudly, “And what will you do if I don't give it back?” Arielle sighed. She knew that she shouldn't lose her temper, but Draco Malfoy was looking for trouble. And trouble he would get. As quickly as she could, she pulled her wand out and yelled the incantation for the Summoning Charm that Severus taught her.

Accio Remembrall!”

The ball flew from Malfoy's hand and Arielle caught it with her left hand. She smirked at the shocked expression of the platinum git and without a word, turned around to go to the Hospital Wing to see how Neville was doing. She didn't make five steps when she heard an incantation sent her way. It was Malfoy who sent it of course. Turning quickly to protect herself with the Shield Charm, Arielle suddenly realised that it won't be necessary. Someone had already cast it for her.

Professor McGonagall was walking towards them with angry strides and as soon as she reached them, she pulled Draco's ear and started pulling him towards school, all the while scolding him loudly on using magic outside the classes. Arielle smiled to herself and turned around. While she did like the fact that Malfoy would surely get punished for using magic on her, while she had her back turned, she didn't want to be treated like someone special. And that was what the students were doing. They were gaping at her in awe. Only Hermione Granger and the Slytherins were glaring at her.

She was almost running to the Hospital Wing. Just as she was about to turn around the corner, she ran into someone, literally. They both fell down with a big thud and Arielle could hear someone moaning in pain as she tried to gather her wits. She sat up and looked at the boy that she ran into. It was the same boy that stopped Malfoy from annoying her on the train. Quickly asking if he was alright, and after getting an affirmative, Arielle stretched her hand and helped the boy to stand up.

The boy was about fourteen years old and was a Hufflepuff. He had dark brown hair and grey eyes. He was still patting his head, so he didn't see her watching him. After he finally opened his eyes, she apologized, “Sorry about that. I was just worried about my friend that just went to the Hospital Wing. I wasn't looking where I was going.”

The boy shook his head and smiled. His smile was very nice, Arielle noticed. “It's alright. I wasn't watching where I was going either.”

Then he looked at her more closely. Then his eyes widened at the recognition and his smile warmed as he added, “Hey! You're the girl that was being harassed by that blonde when I walked by. What's your name?”

Arielle was pleasantly surprised that he didn't stare at her scar as she told him her name, but instead shook her hand with a kind smile on his face and in return introduced himself as Cedric Diggory. Now it was Arielle's turn to recognize the name.

“And you're the boy Neville talks about all the time! I'm really glad you're there for him. Thank you so much!” she said with a similar smile. Then she added, “I was just going to see him. He broke his wrist at our Flying lesson. Want to come with me if you have the time?”

Cedric thanked her for the offer, but had to decline, as he was already late for his study session in the Library as it was. They said their goodbyes and Arielle continued on her way to the Hospital Wing. On the way there she suddenly remembered where she heard about the three-headed dog. She couldn't wait to tell that to Neville.

Opening the doors to the Hospital Wing, she looked around herself, spotting Neville on one of the beds with Madam Pomfrey doing something to his wrist. Quickly yelling his name, she ran to him and asked him if he was alright. After receiving an affirmative answer, she hugged him, glad that he was alright. Then she remembered something. “Oh, I got your Remembrall. It fell out of your pocked when you were spiralling through the sky.”

They both laughed at that and Arielle looked around herself. Madam Pomfrey was already in her office and there was no one there in the room. Leaning towards Neville's ear, she whispered, “I remembered where I heard about that three-headed dog before! It's a Cerberus, a Greek mythological creature with three heads. It was the guardian of the underworld. And do you remember about that report in the Daily Prophet about someone trying to rob the bank of something?”

After Neville nodded, not understanding why she mentioned that. But soon his eyes widened as she told him how she met Hagrid, the Hogwarts Keeper of Keys and Grounds, in the bank that day and that he and Severus talked to each other in hushed voiced. Finally she told him her theory. “I think that the thing that Hagrid went looking for, must be in the forbidden corridor, guarded by that Cerberus.”

ooOoo

Cerberus: in Greek Mythology, Cerberus was the hound of Hades — a monstrous three-headed dog with a snake for a tail and innumerable snake heads on his back He guarded the gate to Hades (the Greek underworld) and ensured that the dead could not leave and the living could not enter.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1459