Harry and the Mystery of Age by teddylonglong
Summary: Sequel to ‘Harry and the Unexpected Christmas’. Having been de-aged in his sixth year Harry starts again with different priorities, other friends, and unlikely allies. AU, partly OOC, Dumbledore bashing.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape > Severitus Challenge Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Hermione, Lily, Luna, McGonagall, Original Character, Remus, Voldemort
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: General, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Child fic, Deaging, Resorting
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Neglect
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 28 Completed: No Word count: 96718 Read: 101754 Published: 28 Dec 2007 Updated: 08 Apr 2008
I LOVE DEMENTORS by teddylonglong

“Dumbledore controls the Dementors?” Severus pensively repeated Luna’s question. “Hmm. At least, that would be a good explanation as to why the Aurors don’t have any control over them. Then we have to think about something else to do with the old fool.”

“Daddy?” Harry suddenly asked quietly. “Do you really think Dumbledore controls them?”

Severus sighed. “Harry, I’m sorry, I don’t know that. However, you can rely on us to do everything we can to find out and find a way to make Dumbledore leave you in peace. Now, Harry, I want you to take this potion, and when you wake up, you’ll stay in bed until someone comes to look after you.” He held a potion to Harry’s lips, and Harry couldn’t do anything but swallow, and by the time he finished the potion he was already fast asleep.

Harry woke up to Isa squealing, “Hawwy!” He lazily opened his eyes and saw Poppy and Isabella at his side. Poppy was just waving her wand at him, and Isabella was trying to climb onto Harry’s bed.

“Hi, Aunt Poppy, Isa,” Harry mumbled tiredly. “Can I go to my classes?”

“No, Harry, I’m going to take you with me to the Hospital wing, where you can either rest or play with Isabella. You may come back here later when the lessons are over, that way you won’t be alone.”

Harry grudgingly crawled out of bed and spent the morning on the sofa in Poppy’s office, talking to Isabella and reading stories to her. Isabella had brought a few books with her, and she happily asked her brother, “Hawwy wead me stowwy?”

When Harry hesitated for a moment, she gave him a puppy dog’s look, emphasized by a “pwease”, and Harry couldn’t resist any more and read one book after the other to his little sister.

When Poppy asked Harry if he felt well enough to go to the Great Hall for lunch, he declined because he wasn’t hungry at all.

“I don’t mind if you’re not hungry but you are going to eat. So I can make sure you actually are eating and not playing with your food, so we will eat here,” Poppy decided sternly.

“Ah, no, it’s all right, let’s go. I mean, Mummy probably misses Isa, so…” Harry replied quickly, remembering how his godmother had forced him to eat a late breakfast a few hours ago.

When Harry arrived at the Great Hall, his classmates were already there and greeted him happily before they started to ask him lots of questions. “Harry, can you show us how to transfigure a tissue into a parchment?” Brian asked. “Lucy was the only one who managed the transfiguration.”

“Very good, Lucy,” Harry commended the relatively small girl with short blonde hair. “And I see you earned House points again, right?”

“Yes, that was Lucy, yesterday in Potions and today in Transfiguration,” Evelyn explained, while Lucy blushed terribly.

“I’ll teach you after classes in the Common room, Brian, all right? As long as Aunt Poppy lets me come back to the Common room after classes,” Harry promised.

“Harry, do you know what a Boggart is?” Lucy enquired hesitantly.

“Where did you learn about Boggarts?” Harry asked, astonished. “That’s third year material.”

“Oh, nowhere, sorry, I just read about it and didn’t know what it was,” Lucy replied, blushing again.

“Ah, all right, a Boggart is something that changes its form into the thing that the person who sees it fears the most. Boggarts often hide in dark spaces, cupboards or someplace similar. As I said it depends on the person that sees it, what form it takes. I don’t know what my greatest fear is, at the moment I suppose it’s Dumbledore, so if I saw a Boggart, it would probably change its form to look like Dumbledore.”

“Ah, I see. Thank you, Harry,” Lucy said happily.

Suddenly, Lily stood behind Harry. “Harry, don’t play with your food, eat please. Thanks for taking care of Isabella. Are you feeling well enough to watch her again in the afternoon, or should I take her with me?”

“I can take Isa, no problem – except for the fact that I’d prefer not to miss all my classes again but Aunt Poppy won’t let me go anyway.”

Lily laughed, glad that it wasn’t her who had to restrain her son today. “You have to complain to your father for making a Healer your godmother.” She lightly squeezed Harry’s shoulder before she returned to the Head table.

Harry, Poppy, and Isa had just returned to Poppy’s office when Minerva entered the room and sat down next to Harry, lifting Isabella onto her lap. She gave Harry a piercing glance. “Harry, the Minister contacted me right before lunch. The Aurors have obviously lost the control over the Dementors. They don’t know if Dumbledore has control over them or what’s happening. However, now that they know that, the Ministry has positioned several Aurors to ensure the safety of Azkaban in order to prevent a mass breakout and of course to prevent Dumbledore from leaving.”

“So Dumbledore can do to me whatever he wants, right?” Harry asked horrified, his eyes full of tears.

Minerva put an arm around Harry. “I’m so sorry, Harry. But we won’t give up, we will think of a way to stop him. We’re going to have another staff meeting after today’s classes in order to discuss the matter. Tom said that if the Dementors are really listening to Dumbledore, you may be able to talk to the Dementors as well through your scar. But I don’t know if that’s true and how it would work. Don’t panic, Harry, we’ll find a way. And don’t worry about classes now; you know that you can already do everything you’d learn in the first year classes.”

Suddenly, Harry heard laughter and Dumbledore’s voice told him, ‘Oh, Harry, they’re so stupid. I’ll send the Dementors over tonight. Or maybe better tomorrow. Let me think about it, I’ll tell you just before I do.’

Harry groaned in agony, leaning his head onto Minerva’s shoulder. “He just told me he’s going to send the Dementors over either tonight or tomorrow, he’d tell me just before he does.”

“Oh my, are you all right, Harry?”

“Yes, I’m fine; it’s just a very bad headache. I need Dad to make a stronger potion if he can. Otherwise I won’t be able to help fighting against the Dementors or try to talk to the Dementors.”

“I will speak to the others at the staff meeting. Maybe Tom or your father will have an idea how you’d be able to talk or do something to help us with the Dementors. Otherwise we’ll just have to fight the Dementors if he really sends them. Therefore, we’ll have a Defence evening in the Great Hall tonight for all students from the upper years starting with the fifth years. We’ll try to teach them to conjure a corporal Patronus,” Minerva said determined. “Harry, I know that you’re in no condition to do anything when he attacks you, but please try to let me know somehow in case he does warn you like he said.”

“Of course, Granny, please let me come to the Great Hall tonight as well. I think I should be able to produce a corporeal Patronus; however, as I’ve never really done it, I need to practise, too.”

“It is indeed very important. I will send Luna to check on you and bring you with her if she thinks you’ll be all right. Now I should go back and alert the Minister concerning Dumbledore’s threat. I will ask him to send a few Aurors to help protect us,” Minerva added pensively.

When classes were over, Poppy allowed Harry to return to his Common room. Harry sat down next to his classmates before he addressed the older students. “I’m sorry; I’d like to speak with you all for a moment.” It took a lot of courage to talk to the whole House, but he thought it was important for the safety of all the students, and somehow found the courage. Fortunately, he knew that all his Housemates had known him for quite a while now, and because he had won several Quidditch matches for them most people seemed to like him. So they probably wouldn’t abandon him because of what he was going to tell them.

When everyone quietened down, Harry continued to speak. He told them everything he had told his classmates earlier. At first, he gained many horrified as well as pitying looks but then the students started asking him questions, which he answered as well as he could. And when he told the students about the practise Minerva was intending to hold that evening, several students approved the idea, and wanted to participate.

“Thanks for telling us, Harry. I know it must have been difficult for a first year to speak to the whole House, especially when you’re still suffering from the after effects of the attacks, but we’re all behind you. As Ravenclaws, we’re a huge family and we will help you as best as we can,” Silas, the Quidditch captain, who was a fifth year student, told Harry and received a huge applause.

Harry thanked everyone for their understanding and kindness and finally turned to the first years to help them with their homework. They first had to do their Charms homework, which was very easy for Harry to help with as he had corrected many parchments of Charms homework, essays, and tests during the last four years.

“Don’t you have to do homework?” Brian asked suddenly.

“No, I’ve attended that class and have also done that homework several times,” Harry replied and continued correcting Cian’s essay. “There are classes, for which I have to do homework but at least for Charms, Transfiguration, and Potions I don’t have to do any,” Harry explained and added in a very small voice, “Last year, I even helped grading first year homework in Charms and Transfiguration. But I haven’t studied much in Dark Arts and a few of the other subjects yet.”

When everyone headed to the Great Hall for dinner, Harry went to his dormitory to rest until Luna woke him up and handed him a potions phial.

“What is it?” Harry asked confused.

“It’s a nutrient potion. I don’t have to tell you that your father and Aunt Poppy are very upset with you, right?”

Harry groaned. “Sorry, I forgot. I just wanted to lie down a bit to be ready for the Patronus practise tonight. Is it starting now?”

Luna gave him a short nod. “Are you sure you want to participate?”

“Yes, of course,” Harry said and followed Luna down to the Great Hall.

All the older students and teachers were assembled in the Hall. Remus and Tom had taken over the lesson and were just explaining to the students what the Patronus charm was and how it had to be cast when Luna and Harry entered the Hall. Luna led him over to the end of the Hall where the teachers were standing. Ignoring the stern looks Severus and Poppy gave him, Harry sat down on the floor and waited for the practise to begin. Hermione sat down next to him. “Harry, are you all right?” she asked worriedly.

Harry threw her a small glance. “Yes, I’m fine. It’s just a bit unnerving since I don’t know what he intends to do next,” he confessed in a smaller voice.

“That’s true,” Hermione confirmed. “However Harry, you know that you have the whole school behind you. Everyone wants to help you. Look at all the students and teachers here. Minerva didn’t force the people to come. She kindly asked them during dinner. Nevertheless nearly everyone from third year up is here.”

Harry looked at her, slightly consoled. “Thanks, Hermione.”

At that moment, the practise began. As he remembered from his memories of his former childhood, Harry tried to think of a happy memory and finally decided on the memory of reviving his mother. Then he silently thought the incantation, using his wand. A strong white Phoenix Patronus moved around the Great Hall.

Before he could try again, Tom gripped Harry’s right arm. “Harry, that’s enough. That was a very powerful Patronus, and I don’t want you to use any more magic today. Go back to your dormitory and rest so that you’ll be able to cast such a good Patronus again whenever he sends the Dementors.”

Harry sighed and mumbled something about too overprotective godparents when he proceeded to join his housemates and helped them casting the Patronus.

“You have to think about a really happy memory and then cast ‘Expecto Patronum’,” he told a few students, watching them trying to get white mist out of their wands.

He spent an hour going from one group to the next just like the teachers and older students, who were already able to make a corporeal Patronus. Finally, he went back to the teachers’ corner and sat down on the floor to wait for someone who could accompany him back to Ravenclaw.

In the morning, Harry was finally well enough to attend classes. The first years had Dark Arts and Transfiguration, which were both a lot of fun for Harry. However, the first years were just on their way down from the Transfiguration classroom to the Great Hall when it happened. ‘Heading for the Great Hall, my boy? Now, there’s a nice surprise for you outside on the grounds. Do you remember how to cast a Patronus?’ he heard Dumbledore’s voice again.

Harry, sat down on the floor, gripped his head, and quickly told his worried classmates, who gathered around him, “Take my phone, call McGonagall and my father, it’s beginning on the grounds.” He noticed that someone took his mobile phone out of his pocket and asked someone else to give him his potion out of his bag before he closed his eyes and tried to get the pain under control. He felt a cold phial pressed against his lips and quickly downed the potion and got up onto his feet before he cast a warming spell on himself. How could he face the Dementors if he was freezing even before that?

Harry sternly ordered his housemates to return to their Common room immediately. However, Brian decided to accompany Harry to the Great Hall so that he wouldn’t be alone. In the Great Hall, Brian motioned Harry to sit down, while he went to the Head table to inform the teachers about the attack.

Suddenly, Minerva’s announcement could be heard. “All students please return to your Common rooms immediately. The house elves will serve your lunch in your Common rooms. All elder students, who have already managed to cast a corporeal Patronus and are willing to help us fighting against Dementors, please join us in front of the Entrance doors.”

Severus came over to Harry and asked worriedly, “Are you all right, Harry?”

“Yes, Dad, I’m all right. He only told me that a nice surprise was waiting for me outside the Entrance doors. I don’t know if there are really Dementors out there though.” He shrugged.

“Harry, please stay behind a bit. And be careful, son. I’m very proud of you.”

At that moment, Minerva entered the Hall and led everyone through the Entrance doors onto the grounds. Harry was shivering from the cold, even before he saw the black cloud of Dementors approaching from the lake. Together with the teachers and many students, he cast his Patronus, noticing that his was one of the most powerful as it remained for a very long time, chasing the Dementors. However, it obviously wasn’t enough as there were still Dementors hovering around. Noticing that one of them was trying to attack one of the older boys, Harry quickly summoned all his magic and cast another Patronus, which together with a few other animals finally managed to chase the Dementors away. Completely knackered, Harry didn’t bother listening to the teachers’ instructions but returned into the castle and went straight up to the Common room, where his friends were waiting anxiously.

“It’s all right, they’re gone,” Harry informed them quickly before he curled up in front of the fireplace and closed his eyes. He slept for a while until Poppy came to check on him and woke him up to give him a huge piece of chocolate before she returned to the Hospital wing, muttering to herself about godsons, who couldn’t even follow simple instructions. Harry threw her a confused glance before he shrugged and started to eat the chocolate.

During the following weeks, Dumbledore made a game of speaking to Harry or just attacking his mind, so that Harry could hardly do any school work or research. In the meantime, the Hogwarts teachers had sent a petition to the Ministry to kill Dumbledore with a Spell since Harry was affected so much by Dumbledore’s attacks and the Dementors’ kiss seemed not to be an option. However, the Minister had declined, explaining that not even the Aurors were permitted to use the unforgivable curses and that they didn’t have another possible way to kill, or incapacitate Dumbledore from being able to attack Harry.

Harry was trying to strengthen his Occlumency shield although his father and Tom thought that he was already very good. Actually, they often wondered how Dumbledore was able to penetrate Harry’s mind. However, one day, Harry had an idea. Late, after curfew and Luna’s visit to their dormitory, Harry transformed into his phoenix form and flashed over into his parents’ living room.

“Hello, Mum, Dad, I have an idea. Dad, what about, you know, when he attacks me, and at the same time you enter my mind and try to enter his mind you could do something to him, right?”

Severus sighed. “Hmm. That sounds good; the only problem is for me to be there with you just as he decides to attack you. Does he have any system? I mean, does he attack at similar times, or when you are in similar classes, at similar places, talking about similar things, or do his attacks just seem to be at random?”

“Hmm… Um… At first, I thought it was always when I said his name, but that’s obviously not true. I really don’t know. It’s mostly when it disturbs me most. And I’m so fed up with it. I’m almost getting used to the headaches but I still feel really bad afterwards, so it’s very unnerving.”

“I know, Harry, believe me, I’m always thinking about what to do to the old fool. Tom has even arranged for a Death Eater meeting on Halloween. It’s the first Death Eater meeting since Dumbledore has been sentenced to Azkaban. He told me that he had an idea. I assume that he’s going to ask some of his Death Eaters to kill Dumbledore, but I don’t know exactly what he has planned.”

Harry gave him a frightened glance. “I won’t do anything dangerous, Harry,” Severus assured his son. “However, it’s a good idea to try your idea out, although I suppose it will be difficult because of the timing.”

“So maybe it would be easier if you could teach me Legilimency?” Harry asked quietly.

“Maybe we should do that. However, we can only do that when you’re completely healthy, and you have to practise a lot in order to have a chance of winning against the old fool. But if you practise enough, you’ll definitely be better than him.”

“All right Daddy, can you please think about when you can teach me? Can I just come here whenever you tell me, or do I have to make a potion explode in order to get detention?” he asked with a small, mischievous smile playing on his lips.

“Oh, let me think. Making a cauldron explode will warrant, let’s say ten spider points…”

“Ah, no, no, no! Only joking,” Harry quickly interrupted his father. “I’d better flash back. Night Mummy, Daddy.” Harry gave his parents each a kiss on the cheek before he transformed back and flashed back into his dormitory, where everyone else was already fast asleep.

Although Harry always had to live in fear of Dumbledore’s attacks, he enjoyed being a student at Hogwarts a lot. The ten Ravenclaw first years had become a very close group of friends, who always stayed together. The only times Harry was separated from the others was when he had different classes like Ancient Runes, or his research times, which were mostly supervised by Neville, or when he attended Quidditch practise. To his great chagrin, his father had forbidden him to even practise with his team. He was only allowed to fly during the matches as it was too dangerous if he were to be attacked while he was flying. Harry had spent hours discussing this with his father and his overprotective godmother but they insisted that he just couldn’t fly.

Finally, Halloween arrived. They had a huge party in the Great Hall, which ended with curfew. Tom, Remus and Severus had to Floo over to Riddle manor for the Death Eater meeting immediately following the party. Harry was very much looking forward to what plan Tom was going to explain to his Death Eaters.

Harry returned to his dormitory with his usual group of the first years. He quickly washed up and changed into his pyjamas, before he returned to his bed and joined the others’ conversation.

“Did you see Professors Lovegood and Longbottom dance together?” Noah asked, obviously impressed.

Harry laughed. “Professor Longbottom is our Head of House’s fiancé; you know that, don’t you?”

“What!” the others shouted surprised.

“Yes, of course, and I think they fit together perfectly,” Harry insisted, laughing at his friends’ amazed expressions.

Suddenly, Harry heard a voice, which he had really learned to hate during the last couple of months. ‘I owe you an explanation, my dear boy. It was at Halloween when I wanted to kill your parents and you. However, Tom prevented me from killing you. But today, he’s not here, so here you are: Avada Kedavra.’

To be continued...
End Notes:
Thanks to my brilliant betas Mushcorn, ObsidianEmbrace and Murgy31

All recognizable characters in this story belong to J.K.Rowling, and I am not earning anything by writing this story.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1466