Harry and the Mystery of Age by teddylonglong
Summary: Sequel to ‘Harry and the Unexpected Christmas’. Having been de-aged in his sixth year Harry starts again with different priorities, other friends, and unlikely allies. AU, partly OOC, Dumbledore bashing.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape > Severitus Challenge Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Hermione, Lily, Luna, McGonagall, Original Character, Remus, Voldemort
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: General, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Child fic, Deaging, Resorting
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Neglect
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 28 Completed: No Word count: 96718 Read: 101756 Published: 28 Dec 2007 Updated: 08 Apr 2008
WHEN THEY BELIEVE by teddylonglong

Harry gasped. “Are they going to try to kill him? But how will they be able to get around the Dementors?”

“The Dementors let people in and out of Azkaban, and Aurors Tonks and Shacklebolt will accompany the Death Eaters to speak to the Aurors. In fact, the Minister knows about the plot – unofficially of course,” Minerva explained patiently.

“By the way, Harry, on one hand it was nice of you to bring James and Sirius back. On the other hand, I don’t appreciate them playing pranks the whole day, and that is all Sirius has done today. Do you think you have any influence on them?”

Harry sighed. “Sirius has tried to prank me as well, but I told him to stop because my head hurt, and he promised to stop until I was feeling better. I then told him that he owes me because I brought him here and that he has to behave, otherwise I’d try the killing curse on him.”

Minerva snorted. “You really told him that?”

Harry gave her a short nod.

“All right, let’s see then,” Minerva said, obviously slightly relieved. “Now, Harry, how are you feeling? And don’t tell me ‘fine’,” she added sternly.

“My whole body is still sore, and I feel a bit exhausted,” Harry admitted and explained, “Maybe flashing back with two guests, from wherever I was, may have been especially tiring.”

“That could be the reason, Harry,” Minerva said pensively. “I will send Poppy over immediately following dinner. Please do what she says. Now, I have to attend dinner in the Great Hall, but someone will come and join you for dinner here.”

“All right, thank you, Granny,” Harry answered and went back to reading his book, until his parents and Isabella joined him a few minutes later.

ハリーと年(802;の不思議

Late in the evening, Luna was sitting at the edge of Harry’s bed, quietly speaking with the boy, when Severus entered the dormitory and told them, “As far as I know, Tom and his people should arrive in Azkaban soon, and I’m going to stay here for awhile just in case the Death Eaters fail and Dumbledore opens the connection again to torture you.

Harry threw his father an anxious glance, and Luna asked, “Do you think the curse can hit Harry through the connection?”

“Possibly,” Severus replied and sat down on a chair. “Harry, as soon as you notice even the slightest pain in your scar, will you please tell me so that I can enter your mind and try to protect you.”

“All right Dad, thanks,” Harry replied, slightly consoled. He closed his eyes to rest for a moment, while Luna and Severus talked quietly.

アズカバンでは

Tom, Remus, Draco, Tonks, and Shacklebolt met at the Ministry of Magic to take a Portkey provided by the Minister, which took them directly to the island where Azkaban was. When they arrived at the prison, the Aurors motioned the Dementors to leave the visitors alone, and fortunately, the Dementors backed off immediately.

The Aurors in charge had already been informed by the Minister about the visitors and the purpose of their visit. Therefore, they didn’t take away the visitors’ wands, and one of the guards led the group to a highly warded cell located a long distance from the entrance. Tonks and Shacklebolt remained behind to speak to their colleagues so that they were not witnesses to what they knew was to happen, while Tom, Remus, and Draco entered Dumbledore’s cell, with their wands raised and pointed at Dumbledore.

“Good evening, gentlemen,” Dumbledore greeted them astonished.

“Oh, I don’t think we have time for small talk, old man,” Tom replied. “You’ve done a bit too much, torturing Harry all the time.”

“I’m not doing anything to Harry except for speaking with him from time to time; he has always been like a grandson to me,” Dumbledore challenged.

“And what about casting the killing curse on an innocent child, such as him?” Tom shouted himself into a rage. After exchanging a few more pleasantries with the old wizard he cleared his throat and quickly incanted, “Avada Ke…”

Dumbledore quickly transformed into his phoenix form and started to flash away while Tom finished the incantation, “…dava.”

“Oh no!” Remus groaned as Dumbledore had still managed to flash away.

“Hmm. Yes, I mean, he flashed away but if you ask me his wings were burning,” Draco mused. “It’s a pity that we don’t know where he’s gone to.”

どこへ行ったのでしょう

While the men were talking at Azkaban, Harry suddenly started to moan in agony. Luna quickly threw a Silencing Spell around them, while Severus told Harry to look at him and feverishly tried to look into the green eyes that only opened slightly. The pain in Harry’s head took Severus aback. He waited a few minutes, but as the connection to Dumbledore remained quiet, he left his son’s mind.

Severus quickly waved his wand at Harry and said to Luna, “Please call Poppy,” before he asked Harry flabbergasted, “That pain is unbearable; is it always so bad when he attacks you?”

Harry groaned. “No, it’s bad but nothing like this. It’s like it was after the killing curse, except everything hurts and not just my head.”

Poppy arrived and Severus explained, “He seems to have been in the whoosh of the killing curse Tom and his people cast on Albus.”

At that moment, Tom entered the dormitory with an angry look on his face. Poppy quickly forced a few potions down Harry’s throat, and Tom started to explain what had happened. “We got in without any problems, and then I cast the killing curse at him. However, while I was still saying the incantation, Dumbledore transformed into his phoenix form and managed to flash away. I don’t know how he was able do that. Azkaban was supposed now be warded against the Animagus transformation and against Apparating as well.”

“How can we keep Harry safe if he is now free again?” a horrified Luna asked.

“We’re not exactly sure if he just got away or if he perhaps was hit with the Spell and is now hurt,” Tom said pensively. “Draco said he thought he saw his wings burning as he flashed away. And of course, we have no idea where he is.”

“Can’t we send Fawkes to find out where and how he is?” Harry threw in.

“Yes, that’s a good idea,” Severus agreed.

“Fawkes, could you flash to Dumbledore and check out the situation, please?” Harry asked his familiar.

#Yes, of course, my nestling, I can do that. I’ll be back shortly. Don’t worry, I’ll protect you if he comes here# Fawkes answered and flashed away immediately.

When Fawkes returned, he let out a happy trill and explained, #Dumbledore has obviously been hit by the dark curse while he was in his bird form. 

Therefore, he has gone through a burning and is a small nestling now. So, he won’t be able to do anything to you for at least three weeks.#

Harry lazily translated what Fawkes had said, and the teachers listened interestedly. “Fawkes, do you know where Dumbledore is? Or could you take us to him?” Luna asked.

Fawkes shook his head. #I know where he is and no I cannot take you there. He is now at Dumbledore Manor, but I’m unable to take anyone with me because of the wards that surround it.#

“We won’t be able to kill a phoenix easily anyway, right, Fawkes?” Severus spoke up, raising an eyebrow.

#No, you can’t kill him. The only possibility is to prevent him from staying in a warm place or to starve him. He was in the Master bedroom, huddled in front of a fireplace, so I suppose his house elves are caring for the nestling. And I wouldn’t be able to take him out of the Manor because of the wards and because of the house elves he has protecting him. I’m sorry, but I do not think there’s anything we can do at the moment.#

Finished with the translation, Harry’s eyes shut and he fell into a disturbed sleep.

“At least, he shouldn’t be able to do anything to Harry for a few weeks, right, Fawkes?” Luna enquired.

Fawkes gave her a short nod and trilled a comforting melody.

“We should question Fawkes a bit more tomorrow, when Harry’s awake,” Severus suggested. “So he should be all right on his own during the night I suppose.”

The others agreed, and Severus tucked Harry in, before the adults left the dormitory.

ハリーが可哀そう

Although Harry had only been in the whoosh of the killing curse through his scar it affected him greatly, probably because it had only been a few days after being directly hit with the killing curse. He didn’t only suffer from the pain and a fever as usual after Dumbledore’s attacks, but several of his internal organs seemed to be affected and not working as well as they should have been. Therefore, Poppy insisted on keeping him in bed for the rest of the week and threatened to take him with her if he dared fight her. Harry was not too upset because he had to admit that he was feeling awful. He was grateful to be allowed to stay with his friends, even if Poppy, his parents, and his Head of House showed up every now and then to look in on him.

While his friends were gone during the day, Harry occupied himself trying to connect his computer to the Internet. However, he had already read all his books on the topic and still didn’t have a clue what to try next. One evening when Luna came to speak to him, as she always did after curfew, while his friends were still in the Common room finishing their homework, Harry seized the chance to speak to his Head of House privately.

“Luna, I know that I’m supposed to stay here for some stupid reasons, but can you perhaps take me to the library in London one evening? I really need to get a few books for my research,” Harry pleaded, giving the teacher a hopeful glance.

“I’m sorry, Harry, I can’t do that. Even if I thought you were well enough for the trip, which I don’t think you are, I couldn’t take you there against Poppy’s order, since I’m a teacher here. I’m sorry, Harry. Your parents or your godparents could override Poppy’s authority but I’m in no position to do that even as your Head of House. However, I’ve a free period late Friday afternoon. If you can tell me exactly what you need, I will go and get the books for you then.”

“Thank you, Luna, but I have to search through the books, since I don’t know what they have,” Harry replied solemnly, thinking about how to get to the library on his own.

Harry knew exactly when Lily, Severus, and Luna had their free periods as they often joined him during these times when he was sick after the attacks, apart from the fact that he normally had his research lessons with the three teachers during their free periods. Therefore, Harry knew that on Wednesday morning, nobody except for Poppy or perhaps Minerva was likely to visit him. So he decided to quickly flash over to the library, borrow a few books, and flash right back.

As usual, Poppy came to check on him as soon as the first classes of the day started. Normally, she stayed for a while to talk with Harry. On this day, however, Harry was afraid that she could notice how excited he was and pretended to be tired. Therefore, his godmother told him to rest and quickly returned to her office. Harry once again thought about his plan and only waited until he was sure the library would be open before he left. He then transfigured his pyjamas into jeans and sweatshirt, transformed into his phoenix form, and told Fawkes what he intended to do.

#You are crazy, Nestling, but at least you know that the old fool can’t do anything to you. Shall I come with you?#

#No, thanks.# Phoenix Harry replied and flashed straight into the computer section of the library, carefully looking around when he arrived. He was fully prepared to cast a Memory Charm on someone, but fortunately, nobody had seen him. Harry quickly skimmed the Internet relevant shelves and chose five books that might help him solve his problem. Standing in front of the book shelves searching for an hour made him feel absolutely awful, and he didn’t bother checking the books out but just shrunk them, put them into his jeans pocket, and flashed back into his dormitory. When Fawkes told him that nobody had been there to notice Harry’s absence, Harry was very relieved, transformed back, took the books out of his jeans pocket, and transfigured his outfit back to pyjamas. He fell asleep almost immediately after he lie down.

However, the teachers were not as stupid as he thought. During lunchtime, Poppy, Luna, Lily, and Isa came to see Harry, and when Poppy checked on him, she noticed how much worse his condition was compared to a few hours earlier. Luna quickly guessed what Harry had been doing that morning, especially when she saw the still shrunken books on his night table. Knowing that Poppy would take Harry with her and that he would be in a lot of trouble, Luna decided to keep quiet for the moment and talk to Harry later.

During the second afternoon lesson, Neville took over Luna’s first years’ class and taught them the Lumos Charm as Luna had asked him after lunch to do. Luna went to her first years’ dormitory, woke Harry up and had a very stern conversation with the boy. “Harry, wake up, please, I have to speak with you.”

“Hmm?” Harry asked, lazily opening one eye. Seeing his Head of House glaring at him, he was instantly fully awake. “Sorry, Luna, what’s wrong?” he asked, confused.

“Harry, how stupid do you think we are?” Luna asked upset. “You went to the library on your own, didn’t you?”

A small sign of shock flickered in Harry’s eyes before he quickly averted them to his bed cover. “’m sorry,” he mumbled, anxiously trying to hide his shaking hands under the bed cover.

“Harry, you know how much everyone here cares about you. How can you so easily put your life into danger? I think Poppy made it absolutely clear that you have to stay here. So, if we can’t rely on you to follow her orders, how can we let you stay here on your own? I haven’t told Poppy yet but I promise you if you ever do such a stunt again, then I will and you will have no choice but to go with her to the Hospital wing.”

“Don’t worry, I won’t do anything like that again,” Harry sobbed.

Luna sighed. “I hope you’ve learned something from this. Since you have made yourself so much worse, you may not get up and spend the evening in the Common room today. You must stay here, and in the bed. Also, once you are feeling better I want you to write lines for me. Please write one hundred times, ‘I have to obey my teachers, and I mustn’t put myself in danger’.”

Harry gave her a wary nod, not even trying to keep his tears at bay anymore. He loved Luna so much; she was such a good friend, and he just couldn’t bear seeing her so disappointed in him. Luna sat down on the edge of his bed and pulled him in a gentle hug, holding him until his breathing evened and he fell into an exhausted sleep.

反省します

During the next two weeks, Harry enjoyed everything very much. For the first time since he had officially started Hogwarts, he didn’t have to be afraid of Dumbledore’s attacks. James and Sirius even managed to talk Harry into playing pranks with them. During the evening before Harry was allowed to return to classes, the two ghosts showed up in his dormitory and told him, “Harry, you have to help us. You’re good at Potions, right?”

Harry gave them a wary look and replied, “Not good, but if it’s an easy potion, I probably can do it.”

“Great,” James whispered. “We want to play a prank on Moony.”

“A prank?!” Harry squeaked, horrified. “I don’t play pranks, I’m a good boy,” he insisted.

Sirius snorted. “You don’t have to play the prank, we only want you to brew a potion for us, and then we’ll put it into his pumpkin juice.”

Harry sighed annoyed but couldn’t help it when his eyes started to twinkle mischievously. “And what are the effect of said potion?” he asked, raising an eyebrow, so that he resembled his father a lot.

“Oh, we can’t tell you that in advance but it’s harmless,” Sirius chuckled, and James handed Harry a parchment that had a potions recipe.

“I have to ask my dad when and if I can brew it, and I hope he’ll let me,” Harry told them. ‘Dad will surely know what it is and would tell me if it was dangerous,’ he thought, slightly relieved. “I’m sorry, but I really have to behave; I still have to write a hundred lines for my Head of House because of flashing to the library in London when I wasn’t supposed to.”

“Wow,” James said in awe.

“And you’re telling us that you’re a good boy who doesn’t play pranks?” Sirius asked, rolling his eyes.

“That was different, I wasn’t hurting or playing a prank on anyone,” Harry defended himself.

“You were hurting yourself, Harry,” Luna reminded him and Harry jumped in fright. He had been so engrossed in his conversation with the ghosts that he hadn’t heard his Head of House entering his dormitory.

“All right, I’ll ask my Dad tomorrow after my Potions lesson. Come again tomorrow evening and you will find out if dad let me brew it.” Harry quickly finished his talk with Sirius and James so he could go to bed.

どういったものを作るのでしょう

Harry and his classmates had Potions following breakfast. Harry sat down in his usual seat between Evelyn and Noah, since they were they were the ones who had the most problems with Potions. However, he really had to concentrate because he was very excited about the potion Sirius and James had asked him to brew. He was so engrossed in his thoughts that he managed to brew his own potion perfectly, which he probably would have been able to brew in his sleep; however, Evelyn had to ask him three times, “What’s next?” until Harry noticed he was being spoken to.

Harry nearly jumped, startled and quickly told his friend, “the dittany powder. But you have to be careful, stir twelve times clockwise and then seven and a half times counter-clockwise,” he whispered.

“Mr. Snape, please be quiet, or do you wish to help the whole class through the brewing process?” his father reprimanded him sternly.

Harry shook his head. “Sorry, Professor.”

Fortunately, Severus hadn’t taken points but nevertheless, Harry was shaken to have been reprimanded in front of the whole class. Luckily his Potion was already finished; otherwise Harry was sure he’d have made it explode. When the lesson was finished, he told his classmates that he had to speak with his father for a moment and that they should go ahead to their next class without him. “Do you have a moment, Professor?” he addressed his father politely, seeing that there were still students in the classroom.

“Hello Harry, are you all right?” his father asked, giving his son a piercing look.

“Yes, Daddy, I’m fine. Um… Do you think I could brew a Potion today? I have my research lesson with you this afternoon, right?”

“Yes, I think so. But what Potion do you want to brew and why?”

Harry showed his father the recipe James had given him, and Severus frowned after skimming through the parchment.

“Who gave this to you and what do you want to do with the potion?” he asked his son sternly.

Harry raised an eyebrow. He had no clue what kind of potion it was. “Um… Sirius and James gave it to me and asked me to brew it because they want to prank Remus,” he explained hesitantly.

Severus groaned. “And you just agreed to brew something which you don’t even know what it is, hmm?” he questioned Harry, glaring at him.

Harry shook his head. “No, Daddy, I told them I had to ask you, but I thought you’d tell me if it was dangerous.”

“Let me tell you something. If they use it on Lily or me, you will be held responsible. And you will really suffer that day because you will be teaching all my classes. Don’t forget that when you give the potion to them. All right, I’ll see you in the afternoon.”

“Thank you, Dad,” Harry said in a small voice and anxiously headed to his next class. What could that potion be? He really had to make sure that James and Sirius only used it on Remus and not on his parents or Luna. She would know immediately that it had been him who brewed the potion.

 

To be continued...
End Notes:
Thanks to my brilliant betas Mushcorn, ObsidianEmbrace and Murgy31!

All recognizable characters in this story belong to J.K.Rowling, and I am not earning anything by writing this story.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1466