Harry and the Mystery of Age by teddylonglong
Summary: Sequel to ‘Harry and the Unexpected Christmas’. Having been de-aged in his sixth year Harry starts again with different priorities, other friends, and unlikely allies. AU, partly OOC, Dumbledore bashing.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape > Severitus Challenge Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Hermione, Lily, Luna, McGonagall, Original Character, Remus, Voldemort
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: General, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Child fic, Deaging, Resorting
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Neglect
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 28 Completed: No Word count: 96718 Read: 101792 Published: 28 Dec 2007 Updated: 08 Apr 2008
THAT THEY CAN GET ME by teddylonglong

That afternoon, Harry anxiously brewed the potion, which was a bit complicated but not overly so. Unfortunately, it took him longer than he had expected, and dinner was half over when he finished it. “Well done,” his father commented before he added, “not that I appreciate my son brewing prank potions but nevertheless.”

Harry managed to convince James and Sirius to use the potion on Remus on Wednesday morning since he would have the Ravenclaw first years directly after breakfast. Throughout the next day Harry was very excited and just couldn’t wait for Wednesday to come. On Tuesday evening, he had assembled his classmates in his dormitory and explained to them that the two ghosts were planning to prank Remus, which would happen the next morning during their class.

His classmates were delighted since they had been so busy adapting to their lessons and looking after Harry after the many attacks that they hadn’t even played one single prank on anyone so far.

Finally, Wednesday morning arrived, and the Ravenclaw first years were the first to leave the Great Hall after breakfast. Excitedly, they filed into the Defence Against the Dark Arts classroom and waited for Remus to arrive.

When the teacher finally entered the classroom, he looked absolutely normal. Remus waved his wand at the blackboard and a few instructions appeared that they had to follow first. Nobody noticed that the teacher hadn’t even said ‘Good morning’, and Harry already worried that the two ghosts had – be it by chance or willingly – given the potion to the wrong teacher. Obviously sensing his worries, Lucy raised her hand, and when the teacher gave her a short nod, asked, “Professor, can you please explain the difference between a Grindylow and a Brombylow?”

As soon as Remus opened his mouth and let out the first few words, the whole class erupted with laughter. Remus wasn’t talking but singing the explanation. “They are the same, but you find Grindylows in lakes like our lake here at Hogwarts, while Brombylows live in the sea.”

“Let’s send Moony into the Eurovision contest next year,” one of the two ghosts that were hovering in the back of the classroom chuckled, while the Hufflepuffs stared at them curiously, not used to ghosts who played pranks on teachers.

ハリーと年(802;の不思議

During the next few weeks, Harry was even allowed to actively participate on Quidditch practise. On the last Saturday in November, just a week after the opening Quidditch match of the school year, Gryffindor versus Slytherin, which Slytherin won, Ravenclaw had to play against Hufflepuff. If there were Ravenclaw first years who hadn’t yet heard the story how Harry had helped the Ravenclaws win the match over the teachers before, they would have stopped doubting why Harry didn’t have to try out for his Seeker position after that match.

It was a cold day and heavy snow clouds were hovering over the Quidditch pitch making it was difficult to find the Snitch. About an hour into the game, Harry finally spotted the small, golden ball in the midst of the clouds. He hurried to catch it and had already reached out a hand, when he was suddenly hit by a Bludger that seemed to have come out of nowhere. His leg hurt terribly, so that Harry closed his eyes for an instant, but as he had become used to pain during the last months he didn’t give it another thought, but continued the search for the Snitch that had vanished in the meantime. Only forty minutes later, Harry saw the golden ball again. ‘No, this time, I won’t approach it directly,’ he decided and, glancing to the Hufflepuff Seeker to be sure that he hadn’t seen the Snitch, Harry went into a deep dive, making the spectators gasp. Finally, he pulled up a few meters above the ground and caught the struggling Snitch within a minute.

“Harry Snape catches the Snitch, Ravenclaw wins 320 – 190,” Harry could hear Rolanda’s announcement and quickly dove down to the ground, where he was surrounded by his cheering House mates within seconds.

Noticing that he could hardly stand on his leg, he excused himself for a moment and hobbled over to where the teachers were still sitting. “Aunt Poppy, I was hit by a Bludger and my foot hurts.” he said quietly.

“Come here, Harry, and let Aunt Poppy have a look,” Minerva, who was sitting next to the Medi-witch, told him and pulled him onto her lap.

“Your ankle is sprained, sweetie. Try to keep off your foot for the evening.” Poppy pulled a healing cream out of her bag, which she always had with her for Quidditch games, and smeared a bit on Harry’s ankle, before she gave him the rest of it and told him to apply it again before going to bed.

Nobody noticed light blue eyes watching Harry’s every move.

When Harry arrived in the Common room together with his Housemates, who were as excited as he was, he called Dobby and told him that they’d like to have a victory party. “Could you please bring us something to eat and to drink, Dobby?” he asked politely.

“Of course, Master Harry, of course; Dobby wills see to it immediately,” the little elf replied happily.

An instant later, a large amount of delicacies appeared on the tables in the Common room, and a huge victory party began, which was still underway when Luna entered the Common room around curfew. One of the prefects quickly handed her a Butterbeer, and the professor sat down for a while. An hour later, Luna shooed everyone to bed before she came over to Harry and reminded him to apply his cream. Harry blushed terribly at the attention but said obediently, “Yes Professor, thank you.”

That evening, Harry went to bed feeling very happy. It had been his first Quidditch match as a student, and he had managed to catch the Snitch in time to win the game. On her walk through the dormitories around midnight, Luna gave the small boy a fond smile, glad that he was peacefully asleep with a smile playing on his lips.

ハリーと年(802;の不思議

A few hours later, however, Harry was having a strange dream. He was playing in the same match again but this time the Bludger hit him in the head full force, and he couldn’t keep himself on his broom. The instant he crashed into the ground, he was hit by a green curse and remained unconscious forever. The dream ended with a sharp pain in his head, and Harry woke up.

Luna, who had cast a spell on Harry to be alerted if Harry was in distress, arrived just in time to see Harry getting sick all over himself. She quickly waved her wand, cleaning him up, and sat down on the edge of his bed, sighing. “Has it started again?” she asked unnecessarily, receiving a short nod.

Harry quickly gulped down his potion and put the memory into the Pensieve for his Head of House to watch before he closed his eyes again, feeling very drowsy. “I’m all right, Luna; go back to bed. Sorry for waking you up during the night.”

Luna could hardly understand his mumbling. “Now, Harry, I believe it’s time to think how to harm him. Your father has taught you Legilimency, hasn’t he?”

“Yes,” Harry replied tiredly. “But I’ve no idea how to get into his mind or even send curses at him.

“Hmm… You know, it’s difficult for me because I haven’t been in that situation, but maybe when he opens the connection and hurts you, you try to fight back. I don’t know how though. Maybe your father could enter your mind and search for the connection to either close it or to use it in this manner.”

“Yeah, I think I’m going to ask Dad. What time is it?”

“It’s nearly five in the morning, Harry.”

“Can I flash home then to speak with my dad, please?”

“I don’t think you’re in a condition to flash but you may ask Fawkes to take you. Afterwards I want you to return here and rest. I’ll send Poppy here after breakfast to check up on you.”

“All right, and thanks Professor.” Harry asked Fawkes to flash him home, and a minute later, he silently entered his parents’ bedroom.

Severus woke up immediately when Harry touched his arm. “What’s wrong, Harry?” he asked concerned.

“Sorry Daddy, nothing really,” Harry replied hesitantly. “Can we go sit on the sofa? I mean, I don’t want to wake Mum up too.”

A minute later in the living room, Harry continued, “He attacked me again tonight. Luna came and talked with me for a while, and she suggested you should enter my mind and try to find the connection for me.”

Severus remained pensive for a moment before he replied, “Yes Harry, we can try that. I had hoped we could find another method but since he has obviously recovered enough to torture you again, we should really try it. The problem is son, that I’m afraid to hurt you.”

“I’m used to pain, Dad. Please,” Harry said pleadingly, “Can you try it now?”

Severus waved his wand at Harry and frowned. “Harry, I don’t think it’s reasonable to try something like that in your current condition. Have you taken your potion?” When Harry confirmed, he continued, “Nevertheless you are feverish and in pain. Maybe we should wait until tomorrow.”

“No!” Harry contradicted immediately. “Yes, I know that I’m unwell today. He obviously used a different spell than before because I’m very dizzy this time. But you know, trying this could a life or death situation, so I don’t care if it hurts. Let’s just try it out. Please Daddy, help me.”

Severus sighed. “All right, Harry, are you ready?”

Harry gave him a sad smile. “As ready as I’ll ever be, Dad.”

The professor lifted his wand and cast the Legilimens Spell on his son, very careful not to overtly hurt him. When he came to the image with the dolphins, he noticed that his son was just letting down his Occlumency wards. ‘He’s really good,’ Severus thought proudly and proceeded to search the edges of Harry’s mind for an external connection. His son’s mind was well organized. Of course that had been Severus’ work as he had organized it in several blocks when he helped Harry to put his old memories in a well warded block in the very back of his mind.

Severus only glanced at the blocks on both sides and finally found something, hidden behind just everything else. ‘That must be the connection that leads from his scar to the old fool,’ he thought and prepared himself to enter the foreign mind. However, he then remembered that Harry hadn’t been in a good shape and that it might be better to retreat from his mind and return as soon as Harry felt better. He now knew where he had to look for the connection, so it would be much faster to get there the next time. Slightly regretting this decision, he ended the Legilimency spell and turned to his son, who was looking worse for wear.

“Did you find anything?” Harry asked immediately.

“Yes, Harry, I believe I found the link. However, I was in your mind long enough, considering the poor condition you are in today. I will try to enter his mind as soon as you feel better. We might be able to try tonight.”

Harry groaned. “We have to do it as soon as possible since it seems to be getting worse each time. Dad, do you think you can show me how to enter his mind, so that, if necessary, I’ll be able to try it by myself?”

“Yes, I’ll probably be able to guide you, Harry. Oh, don’t forget to put up your wards again.”

“Because they help me so much?” Harry asked sarcastically, raising an eyebrow. “Yes, I’ll do it,” he added, when Severus repeated his gesture.

While Harry tried to put his dolphin image in front of everything else again, Lily entered the living room. “What are the two of you doing up so early?” she asked curiously but soon added, “What happened?” after taking in Harry’s pale form.

Severus quickly filled her in before he told Harry to stay where he was for the day. “But Luna told me to go back to my dorm when I was done here,” Harry answered hesitantly.

“Your mother will go to the Great Hall for breakfast and speak with Luna,” Severus promised. “We will both leave the doors to our offices and classrooms open, so that we can hear you if you have problems. You can call us anytime.”

ハリーと年(802;の不思議

In the afternoon, Severus once more entered Harry’s mind. He had told Harry to watch closely, and Harry had already pulled down his wards, so that Severus could go directly to the link connection he had discovered that morning. Careful not to be discovered immediately, he tried to cross the link and indeed managed to access someone else’s mind. ‘It must be Dumbledore’s,’ he thought and sent a few words in a menacing voice. “I suggest you stop torturing me. Otherwise I’ll do much worse to you.”

He felt it as the old man tried to push him out, but Severus was by far the more experienced Legilimens, so that Dumbledore didn’t have a chance against him. As tempting as it was to play around in the old man’s mind, Severus decided to retreat now for Harry’s sake. But he would return and assist Harry in entering his enemy’s mind.

Dumbledore, of course, was not very pleased. He had obviously decided to torture the child with the Cruciatus curse. Fortunately, Severus was still at Harry’s side and helped him quickly to bring up his wards again and close the connection in just a moment. As soon as the attack was over, Severus retreated to his lab to brew the Anti-Cruciatus-potion, while Lily and Isabella took care of Harry.

“Hawwy tay hewe?” Isabella asked hopefully.

“Yes, Isabella, Harry is staying here tonight,” Lily answered firmly and went to the fireplace to speak with Luna and tell her that Severus wanted to keep Harry overnight to be able to help him if necessary.

Isabella was over the moon to have Harry home, even if he was only lying on the sofa the whole time. In the evening, Severus motioned Harry to sleep in his parents’ bed for the night, so that he only had to kick him if he needed help. However, Dumbledore had obviously decided to leave Harry in peace, and Harry slept peacefully until Lily woke him up in the morning when it was time to get ready for classes.

ハリーと年(802;の不思議

During the next few days, Dumbledore kept quiet, and Harry slowly relaxed again. He even forgot that he had only been allowed to fly during the time in which Dumbledore was a baby phoenix and normally wasn’t supposed to attend Quidditch practise. One day, Harry had just attended Quidditch practise in order to practise for the match against the teachers that would take place on the last day of school before the Christmas holidays began.

After practise, Harry entered the Changing rooms together with his teammates and took a shower. While he was still dressing, Dumbledore attacked his mind, sending the curse at Harry that made him so dizzy. Fortunately, Harry always had a phial of his potion with him. He quickly took a sip and sat down to wait for a while until he felt a little better. However, when he finally left the changing rooms, his teammates had obviously thought that he had already returned to the castle and nobody had waited for him. ‘Ah, if I only knew how to make the old man leave me alone,’ Harry groaned inwardly, fighting back the tears. He sighed and slowly made his way through the dark in the direction of the castle’s huge Entrance doors.

Suddenly, Dumbledore appeared a few meters in front of Harry. Harry recognized the old man immediately even if he hadn’t seen him for quite a while. Dumbledore didn’t waste time and raised his wand speaking the most unforgivable curse. Harry was much too dizzy to react and jump out of the way. He just stood there watching until Fawkes suddenly jumped in the way and took the curse for Harry. While Dumbledore watched his former familiar burst into flames, Harry quickly waved his wand, casting the strongest stunning spell that he was capable of at the man.

Seeing that the old man fell to the ground, Harry pulled out his mobile phone and called his father as well as Minerva in order to get help in time. He carefully picked up his baby phoenix and cradled him close to his chest to keep him warm while waiting for the others to arrive. Fortunately, help arrived after a few minutes, and Severus assisted Harry back to his dormitory as soon as the Aurors arrived to take Dumbledore back to Azkaban.

ハリーと年(802;の不思議

Even back in Azkaban, Dumbledore continued to attack Harry through their connection every now and then. Whenever Severus had some free time, he called Harry over in order to teach him to attack the old man. However, Harry was still not adept enough to answer an attack with one of his own. After practising every other day for three weeks he became much better and even tried to enter Dumbledore’s mind on his own, while Severus was sitting next to him, worriedly watching his son. “Yes, it worked,” Harry cheered after retreating from his enemy’s mind. “I just said ‘Good evening’ to him.”

“Well done, son, very well done indeed,” Severus commended Harry. “Now you only have to practise throwing curses at him. But as you’re capable of wandless magic, it shouldn’t be that much of a problem.”

“Dad, do you have an idea if it will be possible for me to speak to the Dementors though the connection to Dumbledore?”

“I don’t have a clue, Harry. However, I can try to enter his mind again and have a look if you want me to,” he offered hesitantly. “However, as there are only ten days left until the holidays, let’s wait until then before we try it so we are well rested and don’t have to fear that you’ll have to miss classes because of him fighting back.”

“All right,” Harry agreed readily.

ハリーと年(802;の不思議

The beginning of the Christmas holidays was the main topic in the Common room. Especially the first year students were very excited because it would be the first time for them to return home since starting Hogwarts. Harry was a bit sad. On one hand he was looking forward to spending some time with his parents and his sister, on the other he knew that he would miss his friends terribly. He had already decided to give all his friends mobile phones for Christmas. That way they would be able to communicate while they were home, but nevertheless it would be very different than spending the whole day together like they did at Hogwarts.

Thinking about his birthday was a bit depressing. His friends would all be gone as it was the day before Christmas and they would be home for the first time in four months, so he couldn’t easily invite them to come over for the day. But he would just have a belated party after his classmates returned, and at least he could share his birthday cake with his family and the other teachers, who remained in the castle.

ハリーと年(802;の不思議

One morning, Brian received an owl during breakfast. He only threw a glance at the parchment that was attached and quickly put it into his robe pocket. “Ah, just an answer I’ve had been waiting for, nothing important,” he assured his friends that were looking at him curiously.

“All right, it’s time to go. We have Potions first,” Harry reminded his friends, and the group quickly left the Great Hall, heading for the dungeons. Harry was in a very good mood. For once, his head didn’t hurt because Dumbledore hadn’t attacked him for a few days, and he loved Potions very much, especially as he valued the time he could spend with his father even in just a student – teacher relationship. Harry absentmindedly sat down next to Brian in the first row, smiling at Evelyn, when she slid in the seat on his other side.

Harry calmly brewed his Potion. It was a Potion similar to one mostly used as the base of different Healing Potions, such as the Calming Draught, and he had often helped his father brew it when he made Potions for the Hospital wing. Harry had just added the last ingredient and was busy counting as he stirred the potion counter-clockwise. Suddenly, Brian bumped Harry slightly in his side, making Harry jump in surprise. Unfortunately, he stumbled into his cauldron, which made the Potion explode and spill all over him. Harry slid to the floor unconscious when the potion touched him right in front of his father’s and his friends’ horrified eyes.

To be continued...
End Notes:
Thanks to my Mushcorn, ObsidianEmbrace, and Murgy31 for their brilliant beta-ing! All recognizable characters in this story belong to J.K.Rowling, and I am not earning anything by writing this story.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1466