Harry and the Mystery of Age by teddylonglong
Summary: Sequel to ‘Harry and the Unexpected Christmas’. Having been de-aged in his sixth year Harry starts again with different priorities, other friends, and unlikely allies. AU, partly OOC, Dumbledore bashing.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape > Severitus Challenge Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Hermione, Lily, Luna, McGonagall, Original Character, Remus, Voldemort
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: General, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Child fic, Deaging, Resorting
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Neglect
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 28 Completed: No Word count: 96718 Read: 101759 Published: 28 Dec 2007 Updated: 08 Apr 2008
WAS GROWING UP by teddylonglong

Harry was unconscious and didn’t notice that the Giant Squid had heaved him up to the surface where Fawkes, Dumbledore’s phoenix, picked him up and flashed him straight into the Hospital wing, making himself comfortable on the head of the bed. Poppy was just going to leave in order to attend the Welcoming Feast but stopped dead in her tracks seeing the Phoenix carrying her godson into the wing. As she couldn’t communicate with Fawkes to ask what happened, Poppy rushed over to Harry, noticing that he was completely wet and cold. With a flick of her wand, she dried Harry up and threw a warming spell on him. Then she called Dobby and asked him to send Professors Snape and Hagrid to the Hospital wing immediately.

A minute later, Dobby apparated back with the two teachers. “Hagrid, what happened?” Poppy asked the man.

“He suddenly fell off the boat, I have no idea how that could’ve happened,” Hagrid answered. “I was still outside looking for him when the Squid told me she’d saved him and Fawkes came to take Harry with him.”

“What’s wrong with him?” Severus asked impatiently.

“He is completely under cooled and he seems to have gone into shock. We must try to wake him up and slowly warm him. Nevertheless, I fear that he will get a lung infection out of this. I would like to know what really happened. Severus, can you view his memory when he is awake?” she asked, frowning.

“Yes, Poppy, I can and I will. Harry is not so stupid as to jump out of the boat of his free will, and he is always very careful. Somehow, I don’t believe that this was a mere accident. What a pity that we cannot talk to Fawkes.”

Poppy gave him a nod and proceeded to wake Harry up.

Harry’s mind slowly drifted back to consciousness. He noticed immediately that he felt horrible. He was cold but his skin felt as if it was on fire. Hearing people talking nearby he lazily opened his eyes to see his Daddy, Aunt Poppy, and Hagrid standing beside his bed. Then he remembered how he had been in the boat and some strange power had forced him to jump off, and into the cold water. Harry tried to explain to his family but he could only croak and it hurt to talk. Instead, Harry started to cry silently.

#Hello, little one,# Harry could suddenly hear a voice from above. Slightly moving his eyes in the direction, he could see Fawkes talking to him.

“Hello Fawkes,” he whispered back.

“Can you understand Fawkes?” Poppy and Severus asked at exactly the same time, and Harry returned a small nod.

“Then ask him what happened, please, son. He will probably know.”

#You can tell your impatient father chick that I was going to explain anyway,# Fawkes commented, and Harry let out a small giggle before he whispered what Fawkes had said.

#The old crazy one has put you under the Imperius Charm in order to make you jump into the lake and drown,# the phoenix told Harry. #He has done a lot of things, but trying to kill a nestling is too bad for me to stay with him. Therefore, I’ve abandoned my nest. I’ve come to stay with you from now on, little nestling.#

Harry silently translated what the bird had told him, and everyone looked at Fawkes in awe.

“Of course,” Severus commented. “A phoenix is a purely good being. He cannot stay with an evil master. Congratulations, Harry. You’re the only person I know, who has a phoenix as a familiar. Thank you Fawkes.” He turned to the bird, who inclined his head in his direction.

“Now, Harry, how do you feel?” Poppy went back into Healer mode.

“Cold and hot and a bit sowe,” Harry whispered.

Poppy fed him a few potions before she said, “Severus, I will stay up with him during the night. However, we should take him into one of the teachers’ rooms and ward it against the Headmaster. If he really wants to kill the child, it’s too dangerous here.”

#I am well capable of looking after my nestling,# Fawkes trilled and made a face as if he was sneering.

Harry quietly translated what the bird had said, and Severus agreed. “All right, thank you Fawkes. Nevertheless, Poppy, we can take him into our quarters, and I will take turns with you, looking after him.”

When Poppy agreed, Severus spoke to Fawkes once more. “Would you be willing to take my son to his own bedroom in my quarters, please?”

Fawkes nodded his head and jumped onto Harry’s bed. #Grab my tail feathers, baby chick,# he told the child.

During the night, it turned out that Poppy’s prediction had been correct and Harry had sustained a lung infection from the incident. He had to stay in bed for a few days, and Fawkes stayed with him all the time. Severus could even go to classes without needing to worry, knowing that the phoenix would alert him if Harry encountered any problems and that Poppy would look in on his son every hour. In the evening, his former friends, as well as the teachers, took turns visiting him. On the first school day, Minerva was sitting on the edge of Harry’s bed, when Fawkes suddenly interrupted their conversation.

#Now, little one, could you please ask Minnie to bring me my perch from the crazy man’s office? She can enter the office at any time and can easily bring it to me.#

“Um… Fawkes asks if you perhaps could bring him his perch from Professor Dumbledore’s office,” Harry translated.

“Yes, I could do that, but it will be easier if we just ask a House elf. That way, it will be done immediately.” She called one of the elves, and minutes later, Fawkes’ perch stood next to Harry’s bed.

Fawkes flew over onto his perch immediately and let out a happy trill. #Please tell Minnie that I’m very grateful,# he trilled to Harry, who informed Minerva accordingly.

Later in the evening, a different visitor came to see Harry. “Uncle Tom!” Harry shouted happily.

“Yes, Harry, I’m here. I’m the new Defence against the Dark Arts teacher, and my name is Thomas O’Neill. Only your father, Rolanda, Minerva, Poppy, and a few of the Slytherin students know who I really am,” Tom explained.

Harry giggled happily. “Great to have you here, Uncle Tom!”

-----

Later the same evening, Severus and Harry had another visitor. Severus was just reading Harry his favourite story about a dragon that was friends with a snake and a phoenix, when the fireplace flared and Molly Weasley’s head appeared. After the attack on Harry, Severus had warded the Floo, so that nobody except for Harry, Severus, and Poppy could Floo directly into the Snape quarters. When Severus allowed Molly to step through, she hesitantly followed him over to Harry’s room where his son was impatiently waiting for him to return.

“I was just reading my son a story,” Severus said, apologizing.

“Oh, then go on, Severus. I’m sorry, I didn’t want to disturb you,” Molly replied immediately, taking a seat on the offered chair.

“You don’t know who this is, do you, Harry?” Severus asked his son. When Harry slightly shook his head, he explained, “That’s Mrs. Weasley, Ginny’s mother.”

Harry’s eyes started to twinkle. “Sinny is my friend. I like her very much,” he told Mrs. Weasley sleepily.”

“I’m glad to hear that because I know for a fact that Ginny also likes you very much, sweetie,” Mrs. Weasley answered before she turned to Severus. “My daughter has told me everything. The attack and the fact that Fawkes had decided to be Harry’s familiar made me consider my preferences, and I have decided to take action. To tell you the truth, I don’t believe Albus anymore that there is a threat because of You-Know-Who. I think the only threat is Albus himself. I have been on Albus’ side far too long. The twins, Ginny, and I are going to change sides, over to the dark side that seems to be much less corrupt. And when I tell Bill and Charlie about this, they will probably change sides too. I’m not sure with Percy however. Sorry for asking, but could you help us with this, Severus?”

Severus smirked and told the surprised woman that most of the teachers at Hogwarts in fact were on Tom’s side and promised to talk to Tom about her and her children’s wish to join him and contact her in time for the next Death Eater meeting, while he carefully adjusted a cloth on Harry’s forehead, seeing that the boy was sleeping peacefully.

-----

From the next week onward, Harry was finally allowed to accompany his father to his lessons. As Severus had promised, he set up a working space for Harry, where he could brew potions using his Potions kit. After a few weeks, the professor even allowed Harry to brew a potion together with the first year class’ best student, Lisa. The older girl was very kind and let Harry do everything his small fingers were already capable of. After the class, Severus called Lisa over and awarded twenty points to Ravenclaw.

When Hermione, Draco, Ginny, or Neville had a free period, they often spent the time with Harry in the Snape quarters, playing with the child or reading books to him. With Fawkes nearby, Severus could be sure that Harry was safe. Fawkes never let Harry out of his sight. Even in the Potions classroom or in the Great Hall, Fawkes was always present, looking after Harry – much to the Headmaster’s chagrin.

With the safety of Fawkes’ company Severus even allowed Harry to spend Saturday nights together with his friends in the different common rooms, sleeping together in the dormitories with one of his friends. All the Heads of House had agreed to this and even visited their Common rooms during these evenings to make sure that Harry was all right. Harry enjoyed these weekends very much and always made sure not to forget any of the Houses. The weeks passed quickly, and the winter holidays were going to start soon.

“Oh my… it’s already been a year,” Severus groaned when he was sitting together with Minerva, Poppy, and Tom after the students had returned home for Christmas.

“Yes, and Harry is going to be five in a few days,” Poppy spoke up. “Harry,” she called the boy over, who was engaged in his potions book, pulling him up onto her lap. “What do you want for your birthday, sweetie? Is there something you would like to have?”

Noticing Harry’s confused expression, they all remembered that Harry had seen his first present last Christmas. “Harry, Aunt Poppy would like to give you a present for your birthday next week. That’s why she wants to know what you’d like to have,” Minerva explained calmly.

“Oh,” Harry understood and wrinkled his forehead, deep in thought. “Um… I’d like have a book,” he then answered hesitantly, carefully glancing at his father in order to assess if this was perhaps too much to wish for, but Severus gave him an encouraging nod.

“That’s a good idea,” Poppy agreed. “I love books very much, too. And I’m very impressed how well you can read although you’re not even five.”

-----

Finally, Christmas Eve arrived and with it, Harry’s fifth birthday. Severus had invited Minerva, Poppy, Tom, Pomona Sprout, and Rolanda Hooch to their quarters for a birthday breakfast. When he woke Harry up, the boy jumped in surprise seeing so many people gathered around a huge birthday table in their living room. A birthday cake with five big candles stood in the middle of the table.

While Harry stared in awe at the beautiful cake, Minerva explained to the child that he had to blow the candles out. Very anxiously, Harry tried very hard and finally managed to extinguish the candles. After breakfast, Rolanda and Tom pulled Harry over to the sofa where the table was full of colourful birthday presents. Harry received many books; several students had even given him books for his birthday. It had probably been Hermione, who had told everyone how the little tyke loved books. Harry had just started to pick up a square package wrapped in dark blue paper when Fawkes jumped between Harry and the parcel, causing the package to fall from the table. It made the sound of hitting the floor before it was whisked away.

“A Portkey!” Severus and Minerva exclaimed together. “Dumbledore,” shouted Tom, gritting his teeth.

“Thank you, Fawkes,” Severus said to the bird, who was now sitting on Harry’s shoulder, whispering into the small boy’s ear. Harry was crying silently.

“Why?” Harry suddenly asked. “What have I done to the P’fessor? Why does he want to kill me?”

Severus sighed before he explained. “Do you remember, Harry, that I told you about you being grown up before?” When the child nodded, he continued, “Dumbledore knows that you are a very powerful wizard, and he is afraid that you might become more powerful than even him, and he doesn’t like it because he wants to be the most important person within the wizarding world. That’s why he always fights Tom – because of his power.”

#However, as I am with you, you have nothing to fear, little one,# Fawkes said, proudly shaking his back feathers before he inclined his head so that Harry could stroke his plume.

“How can we prevent Albus from giving Harry the aging potion for example at one of the House tables? He only has to put Harry under the Imperius charm again, and then we couldn’t prevent him from taking it,” Minerva enquired worriedly.

Severus sneered. “First of all, I have put an alert on Harry for when he is in danger or alone with Dumbledore without anyone from our side. The alarm will alert the House elves that are not bonded to Dumbledore. As they can Apparate within the castle, they will come and take Harry away immediately. Additionally, Poppy and I have refused to make the aging potion for Albus, who by himself cannot brew at all. I have also put a charm on all apothecaries so that they won’t sell any potion to Dumbledore. The only chance for Albus to get the potion is to brew it by himself, and that won’t work.”

-----

However, this was not Albus’ last attempt to attack Harry. It was the day of the Leaving Feast of Hermione’s, Draco’s, and Neville’s last school day when he tried again. Harry had spent the whole afternoon after his friends’ last Potions lesson in the Gryffindor Common room, talking to his friends. He was very sad that his friends – even if they were so much bigger than him – were leaving Hogwarts and, except for Ginny, wouldn’t come back after the holidays.

“Harry, what’s wrong?” Hermione asked softly, noticing the miserable expression on the normally happy child’s face.

“I’m sad because you leave Hogwats and won’t come back after the holidays,” Harry admitted sadly.

“Harry!” Hermione shouted happily at the boy who had once been her best friend. “Shall I tell you a surprise?”

Harry threw her a bored glance. Nothing could make him really happy today. “Okay,” he replied sullenly.

“I’m not going to leave Hogwarts. I mean, I’m going to come back after the holidays as I’m going to be the new teacher for Muggle Studies.”

Harry stared at her in awe before he brought himself back to reality and asked, “Honesy?”

Hermione laughed. “Honestly. Harry, do you think I would joke about things like that? Of course it is true. And I’m looking forward to being your teacher in a few years’ time.”

“Ah, all right. Then I know that I’ll have to avoid Muggle Studs,” Harry returned smilingly and proceeded to climb onto Hermione’s lap.

“Oh, look,” Ginny said suddenly. “It’s already time for dinner.”

Hermione took Harry by the hand and led him to the Gryffindor table, where Harry sat down between Hermione and Ginny.

Harry had just lifted his glass of Pumpkin juice when suddenly Fawkes jumped onto the table and kicked the glass out of Harry’s hands. However, the potion spread all over Harry’s left arm and chest, and Harry cried out in pain. Fortunately, Hermione was quick-witted enough to grasp the empty glass, so that Severus would be able to assess what had been in the drink.

-----

Ten minutes later, Severus was hovering near Harry’s bed in the Hospital wing, where Poppy was checking on the barely conscious child. The normal blank mask on the professor’s face had been replaced by an expression of utmost worry.

“Professor,” Hermione softly called out to the worried man. “I brought the glass with me because I thought you’d need it to brew an antidote.”

“Yes, Severus. Don’t hover around your son like a mother hen. Go and try to make an antidote,” Poppy agreed immediately.

Of course, that’s the only way I can help him. What am I doing here?’ Severus reminded himself of his duties, grabbing the glass from Hermione. He carefully sniffed at it. “I don’t know what it is,” he admitted, frustrated. “Of course I can check out the ingredients, but to look for an antidote could mean weeks of intensive research,” he said, sighing.

“Professor,” Hermione spoke up. “You know how much I like to research things. I won’t go home tomorrow but stay here and help you. Even if I’m not a professional in Potions, I might be able to help you and if it’s only cutting ingredients,” she immediately elaborated her suggestion, seeing the strange look Severus gave her. Hermione was sure that under normal conditions, Severus would have returned a sarcastic comment, accompanied by a sneer.

However, all the Professor said was, “Fine,” as he looked at his former student – future colleague piercingly. “Then I suggest we retreat to my Potions lab, Miss Granger.”

While Dumbledore used the summer holidays, forcing the members of the Order of the Phoenix to carry out several attacks throughout the county, for which he could blame Tom, Severus and Hermione were frantically searching for an antidote to the poison Dumbledore had given to Harry. Fortunately, he hadn’t ingested any of the Potion; otherwise he wouldn’t have survived it.

Poppy and Tom took turns staying with Harry to cool down his burning fever and help him drink water every few minutes. However, Harry’s health was declining quickly. Whenever Albus was away, Minerva took the chance to spend time with Harry too. However, they had to be very careful not to let him know that Minerva was on their side as Albus still thought of her as his most faithful confidant.

“I don’t think he will do much more against Harry,” she said to Poppy, Tom, and Rolanda one day. “I believe that the potion Severus has brewed for him has slowly began to work. He is gradually losing it and keeps asking me ‘Why did I want to do this or that?’

“Oh, that’s a huge success,” Tom cheered.

“However, we have to hope that Severus and Hermione will be quick with their antidote,” Poppy countered seriously. When the others looked at her in shock, she elaborated, “Harry won’t make it much longer. His health is decreasing as we speak.”

To be continued...
End Notes:
Thanks to ObsidianEmbrace for her wonderful beta work. Thanks to you all for reading :-)

I do not own any of the characters in this story; they all belong to J.K.Rowling, and I am not earning anything by writing this story.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1466