Come What May by Scorpia
Summary: Harry's life is turned around and upside down when a late night visitor from the future tells him the unthinkable. Now he must convince Snape to teach him Occlumency, get along with Draco Malfoy and survive through what Voldemort has planned for him.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama
Media Type: None
Tags: Kidnapped, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 5th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Neglect, Torture, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 27 Completed: Yes Word count: 97761 Read: 192657 Published: 09 Jan 2008 Updated: 23 Jan 2009
Chapter 18: Plotting and Planning by Scorpia

Snape was as casual as he could be while exiting the Dark Lord’s throne room. He saw Potter unconscious now, being picked up by Fenrir Greyback with a quick reminder to just drop him in his cell.

Potter, Snape though with disgust. Was that name always going to cause him distress? When Harry had shown up in the room, Snape had been amazed and terrified. The Dark Lord had not told anyone of his plan, but instead had said he was not going to attack Potter!

That fact added to Snape’s fear. Voldemort knew he had a spy in his ranks. He had to warn Dumbledore, him and the order probably would not be aware of Potter’s kidnapping for a couple of days if he could not tell them.

He rounded a corner that was close to the Potions lab provided by Voldemort. There was a Floo there he could use to get to Hogwarts and then to Dumbledore.

Fate had other plans. “Severus,” the smooth, aristocrat voice made Snape curse his luck. Of all the people to find him, it just had to be Lucius Malfoy.

Always in charge of his emotions, Snape turned to the man calmly. Lucius was watching him with light curiosity in his expression accompanied with fake boredom.

“Whatever are you doing here? I thought you would enjoy watching Potter being dragged of by a hostile werewolf.”

Snape gave a sneer-like smile. “I wouldn’t let Greyback hear you say that. Why are you not watching your son, Lucius? Shouldn’t you be reminding him of his place? He almost forgot to kneel before our Lord. It’s a wonder he was not cursed….” Snape had watched as Draco struggled to find himself and do what was expected. He had also seen Lucius’s stiff shoulders that showed his fear for his son.

Narrowing his eyes just slightly, Lucius said, “If I did not know you any better Severus, I’d say you were trying to change the subject.”

Snape gave a humorless chuckle. “If you must know, I have work to be graded back at Hogwarts. I am sure the Dark Lord will call me when he decides to torture Potter some more. He knows I wouldn’t miss it for the world.”

Lucius sniffed, a trait that he had passed to his son. “You might even get a chance to torture him yourself, Severus.”

There was a slight pause that Snape cursed himself for later. “I’ll be delighted to show Potter his place. I imagine his father would be rolling in his grave.”

“Hmm, and his mudblood mother,” Lucius said. This was dangerous ground, Severus knew. He had always though that Lucius knew more about his friendship with Lily then he let on.

“Indeed,” Snape murmured. Two Death Eaters joined them then. It was the Carrows, Snape saw, recognizing their squat figures.

“The Dark Lord wants to see you, Malfoy,” Amycus Carrow said wheezily.

Lucius nodded at Snape and then left, not even looking at the Carrows.

Snape waited until the Carrows had left before he went into his room.

Heading over the Floo, he took of his mask and closed his eyes briefly before flooing away. He had information to get, and to give.

……………………………….............

Cold had numbed his skin many hours ago, but it was the first thing Harry noticed when he awoke. The second thing he noticed was the weird way he was lying. His arm pressed into his side as he lay on the ground. Harry moved a little and gasped as pains made themselves known. Biting his bloody lip, Harry sat up to look around.

Grey, brick walls, dripping with water surrounded him four ways. Harry remembered the portkey and his uncle dying in a flash of memory that made him close his eyes.

He felt no remorse for his uncle’s death, but was sad for his aunt and Dudley. Now though, was not the time for thinking like that. He had to figure out what his situation was.

Harry mentally told himself to take a deep breath, and to get up. Opening his eyes, Harry looked around again. Over in the corner there was a bed. A huddled form lay on it, and Harry warily stood up and made his way to it.

He already knew he would not find his wand even as his hand was reaching for his pocket, but he couldn’t resist the impulse. But there was no danger -the platinum blond hair told him who it was. Harry was confused as to why Draco was being kept with him and he reached out to push him roughly.

Draco jumped and rolled over to glare at Harry, “Get away from me, Potter! You’re the reason we’re in this mess!”

Harry glared at Draco‘s rudeness. “Why are you in here?”

With a sneer, Draco sat up and then stood. His hands clenched into fists. ‘I’m in here because the Dark Lord doesn’t trust me! I just appear beside you when you got portkeyed here, and now I might not ever get a good position with the Dark Lord because he does not trust me!”

Harry inflated with fury and pushed Draco back onto the bed. “Well I’m sorry I might have hurt your chances at being Voldemort’s favorite! But I have a dead uncle and I have to figure out how I’m going to make it out of here alive!”

They stood there glaring at each other and panting for a few moments.

With a creaking noise, the heavy door that was the only entrance and exit to the room, opened. The two boys were surprised into turning away from each other.

Bellatrix Lestrange stood there with a small, smile on her face. Behind stood another Death Eater but Harry’s attention was on Bellatrix.

“Aww, did the wittle baby come over to pway?” She stopped talking to cackle and come further into the room. Harry growled furiously and struggled.

“Naughty boy,” she said waving her wand mockingly.

Harry cried out as Bellatrix spoke the incantation for the Cruciatus Curse. He could not escape the spell, and screamed in pain as it descended on him.

When Bellatrix took it off, Harry glared at her and stood. “I’m going to kill you one day,” he said softly. He meant it to, as far as he was concerned, all Death Eaters needed to be killed.

He had heard of Bellatrix Lestrange before, she was not only a cousin of Sirius’s, but also a killer and a crazy one at that.

The determination in his eyes, made Bellatrix blink in surprise. Then she laughed at him, and turned toward the doorway.

“Did you hear that, Macnair? The boy says he’s going to kill me, haha!” Macnair made a sighing sound.

“I heard. Now hurry up, Lestrange, you’re going to make us late, and I’m not taking responsibility for you,” he sneered from out in the hall.

Bellatrix lost her smile and sniffed with a delicate air that Harry had never seen the woman use. She waved her was with a silent incantation and had Harry and Draco bound and dragged out of the room behind her.

Harry could tell that they were getting closer to Voldemort when his scar tinged. The slight pain was a lot better then what he had been expecting. Voldemort must have been occluding or doing something else that would not let Harry feel his emotions.

As the entered the room, Harry tried to take in all the details. It looked like a lounge. The walls were bookshelves and the books decidedly looked dark. Harry saw one with a skull on its binding, before he was pushed farther into the room.

Voldemort stood before a desk, reading from an old manuscript. Draco kneeled and, unfortunately for Harry, did not see the look of disgust Harry shot at him.

Lucius stood beside Voldemort, keeping his eyes away from his son. Snape was also there. He had a sneer-like smile on his face directed towards Harry.

Harry gulped without meaning to. The smile widened on Snape’s face.

Voldemort snapped the book close, and turned around. His thin face had an unhappy look. Harry felt a tinge of anger when red eyes met green. Then, Voldemort occluded again, and Harry felt nothing except his own fear.

With a light sigh, Voldemort sat down in a chair not nearly as fancy as the one Harry had seen yesterday.

“I would like nothing more then to kill you right now, Potter. However, certain problems, keep me from completing this task….” With a look in Draco’s direction with the word problems, Voldemort continued. “Apparently, your old fool has thought this through. I’m almost impressed. From what Severus has told me, and from what I have read in these books.” Voldemort gestured to the many books in the room. “I can not kill you without having Draco as a casualty.” Draco took a moment to jerk from where he had been kneeling.

“As that would be unfortunate, I am taking some time to study this bond in further detail.” Voldemort hissed out the word bond with much hatred.

Did Dumbledore really plan just in case this happened? Harry wondered quickly.

The next second, Voldemort shot a spell at him that slashed his side. This line of red quickly stained Harry’s light blue shirt. It was not that deep, but it did hurt.

“Until then, I can make up for those thirteen years you took away from me,” Voldemort said almost cheerfully.

“You can try, but Malfoy will be hurt--” Harry tried, but Voldemort laughed.

“I have personally read about the bond Potter; do not try that on me. As long as it is not Draco hurting you himself, he will not be hurt. In just a matter of time, we will find a solution and Lucius can have him perfectly unmarred son back,” Voldemort said. He sounded bored by the time he had finished.

Then, the smile was back. “Until then, I have some plans for you.”

………………………………...........

Snape crossed his arms, trying hard not to start shouting. Not that anyone would hear me, he thought snidely.

He was in Grimwauld House, and the Order of the Phoenix was not acting very professional. In fact, most members were yelling at each other. Orders being shouted, questions being asked, and one Mrs. Weasley was crying.

“Why, why that poor boy? Oh dear, I’ll go make some tea or something!” she said frantically.

They had only known Harry Potter had been kidnapped for a few hours.

Moody was trying to come up with a plan from what information they had. Which was not much. Snape could not tell them where Harry was at because of a Fidelius Charm, which was placed on all the Death Eaters. Voldemort was the secret keeper.

Sirius was in a state of shock, and agitation. He had not even spared Snape a glance since he had heard the news. The levels of confusion, stress, and overall chaos these people had right now, made Snape feel ill.

The boy is so frustrating; I don’t see why they’re not happy he’s gone, Snape though meanly. He wanted to say it aloud just to get a rise out of Sirius. Make the man act more like his stupid self. He did not dare, though; he had heard that Molly had quite the punch.

Thinking back to the situation again, Snape was once again exasperated. Sure Potter had not been so incredibly irritating lately, and maybe he had gotten better at Occlumency. However, they were acting as if he were already dead or moments away from it.

Dumbledore could not be found early enough for the meeting, either. Without the head of the order, everyone was going crazy.

They have to be led around, Snape thought with a disdainful look at the surrounding people. Molly was pouring tea on the tablecloth, her eyes looking straight ahead.

Suddenly, Albus entered the room. Most everyone flocked to him--all except for Snape.

“Do you know anything Albus?” Sirius asked before everyone else. “Where’s Harry at?”

Albus held up his hands. “Settle down, Sirius. That goes for the rest of you as well,” he said looking over the rim of his glasses. “Molly, the tablecloth isn’t thirsty….”

“Oh, sorry, Albus,” Molly said flushing.

“I’m not sure how Harry was taken. I have not yet contacted Mrs. Dursley, but I want someone to do so while we find Harry.” Albus spoke calmly; his tone seemed to calm some others as well. Just his presence was making people relax slightly.

With his wrinkled hand, Albus gestured towards Snape. “As you may know, I binded Harry with Draco Malfoy shortly after I was warned that this exact thing could happen by Severus.”

The attention went shortly to Snape. Seeing his normal glare, they looked back at Albus.

“Why Albus?” Hestia Jones asked.

Molly nodded. “I though it was rather mean to Harry, he did not deserve--”

Snape silently set off a whistling charm, which blew loudly. Albus met his eyes momentarily, with a swift nod of thanks. How he knew, Snape had no idea.

“Voldemort, I’m sure, would not like to lose any of his followers. Especially Lucius Malfoy….” Albus trailed off, staring at something they could not see.

“Er…what?” Bill Weasley asked the question most were thinking.

“If Voldemort tries to kill Harry, Draco Malfoy will die as well--” Molly, and Tonks both gasped--Molly in fear for Harry dying, and Tonks in a gasp of understanding.

“Lucius Malfoy will not give up his only son easily. I imagine a great rift would happen between Voldemort and Mr. Malfoy,” Albus said.

Moody was shaking his head. “You really think the bastard cares about the brat that much?” he asked gruffly.

Smiling lightly, Albus nodded. “Above all, the Malfoys admire family and bloodline. They would not have the Malfoy name ending so soon, and I do not doubt that the Malfoys care for each other.”

Someone snorted in disbelief. Snape, however did not doubt Albus. He had studied the Malfoys more closely than anyone else in the room. Snape had been friends with Lucius in school, and even after school.

He had seen past the Malfoy exterior a few times, although it was brief and sometimes by accident. Lucius loved his son. The main reason he followed the Dark Lord was for his family’s safety. He was about to learn his family was no safer there than on the side of Light.

The End.
End Notes:
A bit of Snape for you. You should see more on Sunday, I won't make you wait too long. Please feed the author, she likes her reviews sweet, but helpfull ones and those spiced with constructive criticism are delightful as well.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1474