Come What May by Scorpia
Summary: Harry's life is turned around and upside down when a late night visitor from the future tells him the unthinkable. Now he must convince Snape to teach him Occlumency, get along with Draco Malfoy and survive through what Voldemort has planned for him.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama
Media Type: None
Tags: Kidnapped, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 5th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Neglect, Torture, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 27 Completed: Yes Word count: 97761 Read: 193298 Published: 09 Jan 2008 Updated: 23 Jan 2009
Chapter 21: The Great Escape by Scorpia

Bright, red eyes, seemingly glowing with evil intention studied Draco, the Death Eaters and the back to Draco. Then, he spoke.

“I want you to slit Potter’s throat.”

Harry only just caught the quiver in Draco’s form as he registered the words.

They couldn’t expect Draco--what about killing him with magic? What about the Killing curse? His throat suddenly felt very bare and exposed.

“Well, I’m waiting,” Voldemort, said impatiently. Lucius stirred uncomfortable a few feet away from Harry.

“I’m honored, my Lord,” Draco murmured. Voldemort seemed pleased with his response.

“As you should be, Draco.” The younger Malfoy gulped, and slowly but steadily turned toward Harry.

As Draco walked toward Harry, the latter began to panic. Malfoy had been brought up to be a Death Eater, his father was one, but did that mean he was one? Does he really mean to kill me? Harry’s breath came a bit faster and he tried to slow it.  

Doesn’t he realize that he’s committing suicide? Harry wondered.

Harry met Draco’s gray eyes as he stopped before him. “You don’t have to do this!” Harry whispered frantically, “You’re killing yourself!”

Jaw clenching, Draco glanced at the knife at back at Harry. He seemed lost. “Now, Draco,” Voldemort snapped.

“No! You don’t have to be like this. Don’t let him control you. Voldemort is not worthy of having followers. I bet you never knew he was a Muggleborn himself, did you? All he tells you is lies. He curses his followers. There is nothing to keep him from killing you at anytime or place. You’re just a pawn to him--” Harry tried everything then Voldemort cut him off.

“Hold his mouth shut, Draco, and kill him.” Voldemort was more than impatient. Harry felt anger that was not his own.

Harry gasped; he could feel pain in the mark on his arm, which had gone slightly numb. Draco lifted the knife, his hand shook. Harry gave him a helpless look that told him not to do it.

“You have no life here, Draco. You’re a slave, one of the followers that Voldemort will use and abuse when he’s angry. You could be so much more!” Harry said forcefully.

Draco looked him in the eyes, his grey ones wide with realization.

His arm dropped--and Voldemort screamed in fury.

“I said to kill him! Imperio!” Voldemort yelled at Draco.

Harry watched horrorstruck as Draco’s spine straightened and his eyes became glossy.

He got a good view of the knife now as Draco brought it up again. The handle was silver with a design of ivy engraved into it.

The blond did not even seem to fight as he brought his free hand up, grabbed the dark hair and pulled it back, exposing the long pale neck for all eyes. All Harry could see now was the ceiling. “Fight it Draco--” Draco in turn tugged his hair sharply.

“Dra--let’m go,” Harry tried to say, as his mouth was forced shut by another brutal tug. The hand was firm and strong as it held his head against the wall.

The blade felt cool against the skin of his neck. Instinct had Harry freezing up; he felt what little blood remained in his face drain out and was suddenly light headed.

Draco’s hand held him still as he slowly pressed the blade of the knife into the taunt skin right under the jaw line. Harry did not manage to fight back a whimper of fear as thin rivulets of blood ran slowly down his collar.

“Catch the blood, Lucius. No use putting it to waste,” Harry heard Voldemort say.

The mouth of a bottle added to the pressure on his neck. “Fight it, Draco--I know you can do it--” Harry managed to say and he felt relief for one second as the pressure stopped.

“Cut deeper,” Voldemort commanded.

The blade cut a smooth line across Harry’s throat. It surprised Harry; he tried to speak but instead made a gurgling sound that terrified him.

At that moment, Draco let out a scream that more of a gasp. He dropped the knife as if it was on fire and stumbled back a step.

Harry felt unconsciousness overcoming his need to stay awake.

………………………………..

Snape saw Potter go limp and knew it was time to go.

If only the wards would agree with him. Hurry up and fall damn you! He cursed in his mind as he watched Voldemort scream in anger and frustration.

Snape, on the other hand was extremely pleased with Draco. The damage done to Potter could still be repairable, thanks to Draco resisting the spell. If he had not stopped, Lucius or he would have had to interfere. Their cover would be blown a bit too early.

Draco was looking frightened as he stared at Potter’s bleeding and fragile body.

“Finish the job Lucius while I take care of your son,” Voldemort snapped reaching lazily for his wand. Most likely enjoying the expression of fear on Draco’s face.

Lucius reached for the knife immediately.

Then--the Apparation wards fell. Lucius shot towards Potter just as they had planned. At the same time, Snape took his wand out as if he was going for Lucius.

Lucius Apparated with Potter, leaving the bindings swinging in their wake. Voldemort screamed in fury and fired Crucio at the closest Death Eaters, paying no attention to Snape.

Snape had just grabbed Draco’s arm. The boy was gaping at the spot his father had been.

Before he could ask question Snape Apparated him as well.

The sudden Apparation left Draco in shock for a moment. Snape studied the area for danger. The nearest house had been abandoned some time ago; the air smelled dirty because of the foul river nearby, but there were no people.

“What--Professor why--I--” Snape started pulling Draco to the nearest building. A rundown house Snape had hoped never to see again.

It was wooden and stained. Snape saw, with slight amusement, Draco curling his lip in distaste. “It will only be for a little while. I assure you the inside is much nicer,” Snape said quietly.

“Where’s Father? Is Potter okay?” Snape shushed Draco with a look and began undoing the many wards on the small house.

They replaced themselves immediately as soon as someone shut the door. Lucius would have been able to let him in, but it was more than likely that he was tending to Potter.

As the old door opened without a sound, and Snape pushed Draco inside. He saw that his thoughts were correct.

On the couch lay Potter. He was deathly pale and lying still. Lucius stood over him with a wet washcloth held to his neck to try to stop the bleeding.

As Snape came closer, he could see blood coming through the rag and between Lucius’s pale fingers.

“The bleeding won’t stop,” Lucius said, not looking up as he checked Potter’s pulse.

Draco was looking confused at his father’s behavior. Snape went to get a few potions he knew he would need.

Snape returned from his small Potions cabinet with only one of two items he desperately needed.

Draco was standing beside Potter, looking lost. His father was muttering a spell over Potter’s body. Snape was instinctively suspicious.

“What’s that?” he snapped. Lucius did not spare him a glance as he came to a stop beside him. “He’s shaking as an after effect of the Cruciatus Curse. The Dark Lord didn’t hold back on that one,” Lucius muttered.

“We have more to worry about than that. If we don’t stop the bleeding soon, Potter won’t be the Boy-Who-Lived any longer,” Snape said grimly.

He opened the blood-replenishing potion; the top landed on the ground and rolled away.

“Draco!” Snape snapped. Draco came forward immediately. “Hold his head up, in your lap if nothing else,” Snape commanded as he checked the bleeding wound.

Licking his dry lips, Draco lifted Potter’s head carefully. With a nod from Lucius, Draco sat on the couch by Potter’s head and kept the boy’s head from moving.

“Good,” Snape muttered distractedly as he gently pried Potter’s mouth open. Then he tipped the potion into Potter’s mouth slowly while massaging around the wound to help him swallow.

After the small flask was empty, Snape waited just long enough to make sure the potion would not come back up, and then he nodded and made his way to the Floo.

“I must have a blood thickener, it will help stop the bleeding slow--” was all Snape said before the green flames enveloped him.

…………………………..

Snape arrived in the Infirmary. It was empty except for a first year, who screamed before muffling it with her hands. Snape ignored the girl and headed for the medical cabinet.

“Severus!” Poppy came out from her rooms just as Snape was heading back to the fireplace.

“Tell Albus I have Potter, Poppy,” Snape left the Mediwitch with her mouth opened as he flooed back to his dead father’s house.

“Professor, he--he’s convulsing!” Draco said immediately. His frantic voice, wide eyes and the words in his exclamation did nothing to calm Snape’s nerves.

Potter was indeed convulsing. It would have been funny under any other circumstance, seeing Lucius looking so helpless.

Enervate,” Snape spoke. He frowned when Potter did not wake; it was not very surprising, though. The spell was mostly meant for stunned people, not for those with extensive injuries like Potters. “Enervate!” Snape spoke again louder and much more forcefully.

Potter stopped convulsing, gasped, and returned to consciousness.

……………………………….....

Why am I so bloody cold? Harry wondered firstly as he opened his eyes. He frowned; a memory of someone holding him came back to him.

Harry wondered if it was dream. He could barely remember it. Was he safe? What was happening?

His entire body was shaking. Whether it was because of the coldness he felt, the curses he had been put under, or the blood loss, he was not sure.

“What’s happening? M’cold,” Harry thought he was going to say. However, all that came out was a sound like leaves moving. Trying to speak hurt.

Clenching his eyes closed, Harry brought a hand up towards his throat--just to have it pushed down gently on the mattress.

Harry opened his eyes to find some water and find out why he felt so horrible. Draco’s wide and scared eyes stared at him, making Harry jump slightly. “Are you done now Potter?”

Harry frowned. Done with what exactly? was what he wanted to ask, but he did not want to risk feeling the pain again. Instead, he glared--and then fought off wooziness and closed his eyes.

“Move, Draco,” came Snape’s voice. Snape! Harry tried to sit up. He was safe?

Three pairs of hands held him down; Harry saw Lucius Malfoy glaring at him and was aghast. He stopped moving long enough for Snape to shove a potion in his face.

“Take this immediately,” he said. Harry decided to ask question later; he was feeling like he was going to blackout again.

The blood thickener immediately went to work, but Harry still felt between puking and fainting.

He lay there on the couch, feeling miserable as Snape’s hands ran over his sore throat.

Draco’s voice made him blink; he did not trust himself to open his eyes, though, so he listened. “I’m sorry, Potter. I managed to stop, but…I’m sorry it took me so long,” Draco muttered.

Harry felt a surge of the panic he had felt when Draco had came toward him with that knife. He fought it down. He was safe--or it seemed that way. How he could ever feel safe surrounded by Malfoys, he would never know.

“I need to go. I’ll be back,” Lucius suddenly said. Harry had not yet replied to Draco. In fact, he felt like he was falling asleep again.

He heard Lucius stand and looked in time to see him Floo away. Harry looked for Draco. Not being able to talk yet, he reached for his arm. Finding it, he patted it. Draco snorted but did not move his arm.

Snape came close, kneeling on one knee to remove the bandages. Harry heard Draco look away from the wound.

“It’s stopped bleeding some,” Snape said. He told Draco to fetch a clean washcloth and then proceeded to wash the wound.

After that, Snape spread an ointment over the wound with careful fingers. “Why can’t he talk?” Harry heard Draco asking Snape.

He looked to see the man looking reluctant. That in itself frightened Harry. It was rare to see Snape not snapping at something or someone.

“He may just need some water, or…you may have damaged his vocal chords.”

Harry closed his eyes. Draco took a little breath and then left the room.

There was a short silence. “I’m sure you have many questions.”

Yes! In addition, it’s bloody irrataiting to not be able to speak them, Harry thought, looking Snape in the eye.

The older man did not use Legilimency on him. Harry was grateful and not at the same time.

“I’ll tell you what I think you would want to know,” Snape said, he drew up a chair and sat.

Harry watched him, trying not to feel self-conscious about his feeble position.

“Lucius Malfoy came to me asking for help. Apparently the Dark Lord planned on killing you by using Draco. I do not know why he did not do it himself, and you will have to ask the headmaster when you regain the use of your voice.”

Harry shifted on the couch; a spring was digging into his back. The movement awoke pains he had forgotten were there. Seeing his flinch, Snape stood. “I’ll retrieve you a pain reliever.”

Harry nodded; he was wary of moving again and sat stiffly until Snape returned. Seeing his rigid appearance, the man raised a brow while handing him the bottle.

“A cushioning charm, perhaps?” Snape offered. Harry could not help staring at the man as he nodded. Who would have thought Snape cold be civil? And to me no less, Harry thought while drinking the potion.

He nodded in thanks when Snape held out his hand for the now empty bottle. The twinge of pain reminded Harry that he really should try and keep his head still.

Harry felt like he was treading around needles, one wrong step and he would definitely regret moving at all. He didn’t want to say the wrong thing and have Snape blow up.

With that in mind, Harry decided to let Snape speak first.

“I have been in the Dark Lords service for a long time, Potter. Until just recently, I was one of his most trusted followers. Bellatrix Lestrange has been muttering her dislike of me since I became a Death Eater; I do not know what changed but the Dark Lord started listening to her. I was no longer trusted or either being tested to see how I would react. I was not told of the Dark Lords plan to capture you using your uncle. If I had been it would not have happened,” Snape said.

Harry felt guilty; he had not spared a thought toward his dead uncle in what seemed like forever. He may not have liked the man, but surely he should feel more remorse over what had happened to him.

Harry looked at Snape in time to see the man studying him. “I’m sure there was nothing you could do to prevent your uncle’s death,” Snape said. The words sounded weird to Harry’s ears. Snape was not good at reassurances; he had no had enough practice.

The man looked toward the way Draco had gone and started speaking again.

“The Dark Lord had me staying away from you. It seemed that even my need to seek revenge on you for being a pain in my side no longer amused him,” Snape said dryly. “Lucius was being kept away from his son as well; we devised a plan to get you and Mr. Malfoy away. The building you were kept in was protected by many wards, some for privacy, portkey, and Apparation.”

Snape stopped talking again to check the wound on Harry’s neck again. “It’s stopped bleeding; don’t move your head anymore,” he said.

Sitting back in the chair just as Draco came back through the door, looking cautious, Snape continued.

“The Dark Lord has a generously-sized library. It takes up most of the building and contains many old manuscripts and books, along with the hundreds of wooden shelves to display them on,” Snape said.

Looking curious, Draco sat on a chair to listen.

“Lucius and I set it on fire--” Snape was cut off as Draco let out a gasp and started choking at his deep breath.

Snape looked between amusement and annoyance and Draco got a hold on himself.

“You did what? And how are you still alive? He’s going to kill you both--oh my God! I’ll have to leave the country!” Draco ranted standing up to pace.

Harry took Snape’s distraction and closed his own mouth before it was noticed. He gestured with his hand, spreading them in the universally known expression for ‘why?’

“I was getting to that,” Snape said with a dangerous glare. Draco saw and sat back down sheepishly, he was still looking worried about his own safety.

“The fire beat on the wards. They were mostly placed on the library due to the Dark Lord’s paranoia that everyone would try and steal from him. It was stupid on his part not to have an alert built into the wards. As the fire beat at the wards, they fell, the weakest ones first.” Draco was now staring at Snape for calling the Dark Lord stupid, but he had been warned already and did not interrupt.

“I had placed a simple notification on the wards to let me know when they fell,” Snape said.

Harry wanted to ask if Voldemort knew the ward had fell, but his throat kept his from doing so. He reminded himself to ask later.

Then the Floo came to life--and out stepped Lucius. Draco stood up at seeing his father and then blinked at seeing his mother follow her husband out of the Floo.

Snape frowned and stood. Harry was feeling utterly helpless with all these people standing and him not being able to move.

“Why did you bring Narcissa here Lucius?” Snape said dangerously.

The Malfoys looked alert and Narcissa scared. Her appearance was not what Harry was expecting. She was almost fragile looking, with light blue eyes, long blond hair and pale skin.

Lucius pulled his wife toward him in a protective gesture while his face was grim.

“The Dark Lord is attacking the Manor,” Lucius said.

The End.
End Notes:
So--have I regained the faith of any faltering readers? (Grin) I assure you ladies and gentlemen, that my reasons for giving Harry the vile dark mark are not because I get a wicked enjoyment out of it. Please keep reading and reviewing.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1474