Come What May by Scorpia
Summary: Harry's life is turned around and upside down when a late night visitor from the future tells him the unthinkable. Now he must convince Snape to teach him Occlumency, get along with Draco Malfoy and survive through what Voldemort has planned for him.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama
Media Type: None
Tags: Kidnapped, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 5th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Neglect, Torture, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 27 Completed: Yes Word count: 97761 Read: 193302 Published: 09 Jan 2008 Updated: 23 Jan 2009
Chapter 23: House of Black by Scorpia

Harry awoke abruptly. Gasping, his arms flailed as he found he was floating above the couch.

An irate Snape lowered him back onto the couch. “I’m moving you, Potter.”

Harry sat up, shaking his head furiously. Being helpless and floating in the air around the Malfoys, whom he still didn’t trust, was not going to happen. He did not like the idea of Snape levitating him anywhere. The man had not been to bad to him lately, but he wanted to walk on his own two feet to wherever they were going. Harry made a promise to himself in his mind.

Wherever they were going, Harry would get there by standing and walking.

He was strong enough for that. Being carried around would only happen if he was unconscious.

Standing up, he looked over Snape disapproving scowl to the Malfoys standing next to the Floo.

 I can walk, Harry tried to say with his facial expression. He tried not to let it show that his vision had darkened and that he was feeling dizzy.

“Potter--” Snape growled. Harry cut him off by waving his hands in a ‘no way’ expression.

Snape sniffed and turned to the Floo. “I’m will not be held accountable if you black out, Potter.”

Harry nodded in agreement but couldn’t help the small grin on his face. He couldn’t believe Snape was not going to argue any further. He walked slowly over to the Floo, not missing the glance Snape gave him. The Floo burst into green flames. Harry was confused when Snape did not speak the name of the place they were Flooing to, but he did not question the man.

“Since you’re so eager, Potter, you can go first,” Snape said folding his arms. Draco smirked and folded his arms in imitation of Snape. Lucius and Narcissa watched without talking.

Harry was very close to rolling his eyes, but he settled for an exasperated look and stepped into the flames.

Around him, scenes of living rooms and kitchens flashed as he traveled to his unknown destination. As always, his landing was less than perfect. Harry fell out of the Floo and would have landed on the hardwood floor if not for the arms that held him up.

“Harry!” said a familiar voice full of relief.

Before he could back away, Harry was being pulled up and hugged until his ribs hurt.

Harry inhaled, trying to breathe in the crushing hug. He wished he could talk. Mrs. Black portrait started screaming, adding to the confusion Harry was feeling.

The Floo came back to life from behind them and Sirius quickly pulled Harry away. Around the room, most of the Order was standing. The Weasleys were there, as well. As soon as Sirius let go of Harry, his place was taken by Mrs. Weasley.

“Don’t you ever do that to me again!” she said hugging him. Her voice sounded tearful.

Hermione was hopping from foot to foot behind her. “Harry you had me--us so scared!”

“Are you alright?” That was Ron trying to dislodge his mother from Harry. “Snape said he was injured, Mum!”

Mrs. Weasley gasped and withdrew, “Oh, I’m so sorry dear. Are you okay? Why is that bandage around your throat?”

“Oh my God, Harry, what happened?” Hermione was asking as she pulled him toward the living room.

“Harry, dear, where are your glasses!”

“Why isn’t he talking?” Tonks asked. Harry could barely see her. She was standing beside Remus, Mad Eye Moody, Kingsley Shacklebolt and Professor McGonagall.

Snape started talking from the Floo as the Malfoys came in. “Potter can’t speak. His vocal chords were damaged. I suggest you get Madam Pomfrey instead of standing around like a bunch of fools,” he snarled.

“I’ll get her,” Professor McGonagall said with an annoyed look at Snape. Harry was relieved and sighed a little through his nose. His legs were starting to feel heavy.

There was silence as the Malfoys finished Flooing in. Harry was disgusted to see how gracefully Draco managed to exit the fireplace.

“How did his vocal--” Mrs. Weasley cut herself of. “Screaming?” she questioned softly and in horror.

Harry truly didn’t think it possible, but Draco paled even further. Lucius’s face hardened slightly and Harry was sure he shifted to stand closer to his son.

Ron and Hermione froze as they waited for a reaction to the question. Remus flinched and came over to Harry, “Let’s get you out of here, Harry.”

Harry gave the man a grateful look as he was led past the others to the sitting room. The bond started pulling Draco along as well and the boy went.

Tonks smiled at Harry and took his hand patting it affectionately. Her blue gaze went to Draco for a second and she gave him a stiff nod. Harry knew they were cousins, Tonks turned back to him.

“I hear you spat on old Moldy,” she said. Her hair turned purple with pink highlights.

Harry nodded with a grim look. Remus gently pushed him onto the couch. The werewolf had his hand gently on the bandage. “What was Severus thinking? You should be in bed.”

Harry looked away and a slight tremor ran through him. Mad Eye came in with the others and he frowned seeing the tremor.

“After effects of Crucio,” he grunted. “Where’s Pomfrey?”

Madam Pomfrey’s voice answered him, “I’m right here. Now, Mr. Potter, what have you gone and done this time?”

Harry tried not top smile and she gave him a stern look. Remus was smiling lightly at him. Sirius barreled into the room to stand next to Harry as Pomfrey ran a diagnostic spell over him. Voices outside the sitting room door were getting louder. Harry frowned and glanced at it, hearing Ron’s raised voice.

Pomfrey stood up and pointed her finger at the door. “Out! All of you--fine Sirius, you may stay--but the rest of you, get out.

No one was brave enough to fight the wrath of a mad Poppy Pomfrey and they exited the room except Draco. He got Madam Pomfrey’s glare, but she knew he had to stay.

“Calm that boy out there!” Madam Pomfrey called just before the door shut.

She went back to her spells. Sirius went around the back of the couch. He seemed excited, nervous, and happy all at once. It was tiring for Harry just to watch the man. “When you get better, I’m never letting you out of my sights again,” Sirius said reaching down the back of the couch to grasp Harry‘s hand.

The door opened again and Snape entered. “Oh good, you can tell me how much damage has been done, the spells will only inform me of the….” Pomfrey trailed off.

Surprised, Harry looked up at her. Madam Pomfrey’s face was ashen, but what scared Harry the most was the way she was looking at his left arm.

Knowing that she now knew, Harry looked away. “Poppy? What is it?” Sirius asked in concern as he dropped Harry’s hand and stood. His eyebrows were crinkled in confusion as he looked between Harry and Pomfrey.

He stepped around the couch going to Harry. Snape spoke up, “Poppy!”

The woman jumped and gasped, “I--I’m sorry. I--I must have lost myself for a moment.”

Harry wondered if Sirius could see through the lie--or at least how Madam Pomfrey’s eyes kept going back to his arm.

Snape stepped closer as Sirius was just beside Harry--and reaching for his godson’s left arm. From behind them, Draco inhaled loudly.

Snape placed his arm on Sirius’s arm, stopping him. Sirius looked confused and then angry. “What’s going on, Snape,” Sirius growled.

Snape watched him with guarded eyes. Those same eyes then turned to Harry, as if he were asking permission to tell. Harry bit his lip. He knew the truth would have to come out at some time…he just didn’t want to see the reactions of his friends.

“Dumbledore thought it would be your decision,” Snape said to Harry. His pale hand was still holding Sirius still.

Harry did not want to keep secrets from his godfather; the man’s confusion was making him feel guilty. So he nodded to Snape. Cautiously the man let go of Sirius who was looking suspicious.

Madam Pomfrey bit her lip and crossed her arms. Snape cast a locking spell on the door to hold out any unwelcome visitors and Harry--Harry pulled his left sleeve up.

Harry was carefully watching Sirius’s face as a horrified expression came over it slowly. “How--” Sirius trailed off and Harry bit his lip, wishing again that he could talk.

Harry didn’t look down at his arm, to the disfiguring mark so ugly against his skin. He felt sick thinking about it. Even now it tingled with pain. With a lurch Harry realized that Voldemort could call him now.

A hand grasped his chin, turning Harry’s head. Sirius’s blue eyes were sad; Harry knew he himself must look pathetic.

Then, Sirius hugged Harry. It surprised him in more than one way. Sirius had not demanded an explanation, and he’s hugging me in front of Snape! Harry thought in awe.

Knowing this made him feel content, and he bit his lip hugging Sirius back.

“I know you didn’t want it, kid. We’ll find a way to get rid of it,” Sirius murmured comfortingly in Harry’s ear. Harry wished he could tell the man how much those words meant to him. Nevertheless, even if he had his voice back, he wasn’t sure he would be able to express his gratitude in words.

“Sirius, I need to finish working on his throat,” Madam Pomfrey said.

“Oh,” Sirius drew back, “Of course.” He ran his hand briefly through Harry’s hair, and then went to the door saying, “I’ll tell the others you’re okay. Ron and Hermione haven’t slept one minute since you disappeared.”

Harry smiled at that announcement. While he didn’t like the idea of them worrying, their care made him feel at home.

Then Madam Pomfrey was telling him to lie down, and Snape was leaving the room as well. Draco shifted uncomfortably. He had been quiet through out the meeting. Harry gave him a glance and pointed at a chair. Draco got the message and sat.

………………………………..

“Your throat should be healed enough to talk by tomorrow morning,” Madam Pomfrey said as she packed up her healing equipment.

Harry gave a slight smile and in a rare act of affection, she patted his knee. “Don’t even try to talk until Professor Snape tells you to, and if the others get to be too much, shoo them out!”

Harry smiled. Madam Pomfrey could always be counted on to car about her patients’ privacy, even around their friends.

As soon as she had left the room, Ron and Hermione came in warily. Harry saw how Hermione was biting her lip, and he grinned to try to ease her worry.

“Oh, Harry!” She exclaimed running the few stepps to wrap him in a choking hug.

“What happened? Did the ferret do this to you?” He gave a hate filled glance at Draco who looked sick. “Why’s he here? Sirius doesn’t like it--” Ron said as he clapped Harry on he back. His brown eyes ran over the bandage on Harry’s neck to the blankets Madam Pomfrey had tucked in around him.

“Are you sleeping down here? I can help you up the stairs,” Ron said, his eyebrows pushed together in brotherly concern and question. He seemed uncomfortable around Draco, but was tolerating it.

Harry wished he could talk, not for the first time in ten minutes.

“Whatever happened affected his voice, Ron,” Hermione said as she let go of Harry and kneeled in front of the couch. Her hold on Harry’s hand was warm.

“The Malfoys, Sirius, Professor Snape, McGonagall and most of the Order locked themselves up. Fred and George already tried listening in. Moody came outside and gave them this horrible look,” Hermione said with a little laugh.

Ron sat near Harry’s feet. “Hurry up and get your voice back; I want to know what happened,” he said with a surly look.

Hermione rolled her eyes, “I’m just glad you’re safe, Harry. We’re supposed to be going back to Hogwarts in a few days; you should be able to back then, too, right?”

Harry nodded a little. He wished he had a way to ask the questions in his mind. Pulling his hand out of Hermione’s, he mimed writing.

“Oh! Yes, I’ll get you some parchment and a quill,” Hermione said. She shot up and out of the room.

Ron blinked looking after her. Then with a wary glance at Draco; who was studying the fllor, he leaned forward. “I’m glad you’re back, mate. I was worried, too,” he said in an uncomfortable whisper.

Hermione came back in the room. Ron frowned. “He didn’t ask for a book,” he said with amusement and exsasperation.

Hermione put the book in Harry’s lap, “It’s something for him to bear down on, Ron.”

Her sensible words had Ron muttering something with a faint blush. Harry ignored them and wrote, ‘Will all the students be coming back to Hogwarts?’.

Hermione frowned as she read it. “I--I don’t know!”

She looked at them both. “This could be bad. I never thought of it! Someone might think Hogwarts isn’t safe--they could try to close it down--”

“Hermione, calm down,” Ron said grabbing her flailing arm.

“I’m sure Dumbledore has it all figured out--” then Ron faltered and Harry grabbed the quill again.

‘Where is Dumbledore’? he asked. Ron shook his head and shrugged reading the upside down paper.

“We haven’t seen him since the attack,” Hermiuone said. “I think the Order is wondering the same thing, but they don’t say anything around us.”

Harry sat back and thought that over. Had something happened to Dumbledore? The Headmaster and deafeater of Grindelwald seemed so invincible. Could something have happened when none of them were looking? What would the Wizarding world do if the only person Voldemort feared was dead or injured?

Snape must have talked to Dumbledore, maybe if he asked kindly the man would give him an answer. He’d have to wait until his voice was back. The idea of Snape reading his paper messages didn’t seem likely.

The door opening had the three friends turning from their own quiet thoughts.

Sirius came through the door. Most of the Weasleys trailed after them, Fred and George reached the couch first.

“Tell us, did you drive You-Know-Who so mad that he just had to send you back?” George said with a grin.

“George!” Mrs. Weasley scolded looking agast. Harry grinned, though, and wrote, ‘Yep, I made fun of bunny slippers and he kicked me out’.

He handed the parchment to George, who laughed while Harry tried to find a more comfortable position on ther old couch. He didn’t take Fred and George’s question seriously. They were just trying to lighten the situation.

It was what they were the best at. Harry appreciated the humor. Anymore drama or surprises, and he was going to audition for a soap opera that his aunt had liked to watch.

“You want to move upstairs, Harry? We can squeeze you into between Ron and--Malfoy’s son.” Sirius said. Harry heard the pause and the tightening around Sirius’s eyes showed he was not pleased to know there were Malfoys in his house.

“We have to sleep next to the ferret? He’ll choke us in our sleep!” Ron exclaimed, standing up.

Mr. Weasley and Mrs. Wealey winced, and although Ron didn’t catch it, Hermione was watching.

Harry knew they had not been told about what Draco had done. It wouldn’t be long before he would have to tell Ron and Hermione, if one of them didn’t figure it out first. They knew he had been tortured, but not who had a hand in it.

Harry was helped up the stairs and into the room he had shared in the summer with Ron. Though he was sure no help was necessary, he allowed it. His friends and Sirius still seemed worried that he was going to dissapear.

For Harry it gave him a new experience, for he had never seen Sirius act so--caring.  

But isn’t this what you wanted? Harry asked himself as he threw himself onto the bed.

They had finally let go of him and it was kind of funny to see their expressions as the bed bounced slightly.

Harry settled himself on the pillows and waited to see what was going to happen next.

Mrs. Weasley shooed them out with a promise to bring Harry some water. Harry listened to his friendds for a few minutes. Hermione was helping Ron make his bed while telling him it should have been done long ago.

He let out a little sigh of contentment. Who thought he would enjoy his friends light bantering? It was a familiar sound, and the sheets were cool as he scooted beneath them.

Harry fell asleep before Mrs. Weasley returned.

The End.
End Notes:
So here is your chapter, please review. Did you not hear the very-close-to-begging sound in my--er--typing? I need reviews, they are preicoussssss.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1474