Come What May by Scorpia
Summary: Harry's life is turned around and upside down when a late night visitor from the future tells him the unthinkable. Now he must convince Snape to teach him Occlumency, get along with Draco Malfoy and survive through what Voldemort has planned for him.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama
Media Type: None
Tags: Kidnapped, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 5th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Neglect, Torture, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 27 Completed: Yes Word count: 97761 Read: 192657 Published: 09 Jan 2008 Updated: 23 Jan 2009
Chapter 26: Learning of the Prophesy by Scorpia

Harry was in a haze, his mind wandering pleasantly toward sleep. Demons had been waiting on the edges of his mind all day. He had tried to keep himself busy lest thoughts of his captivity come to mind.

He’d much rather forget the searing pain that went across his neck. Now, a few uncomfortable tinges reminded him of the ugly scar. Madam Pomfrey had told him that he could be rid of the scar as soon as the cut was fully healed.

Harry was content with how the day had gone. Comfortable with the blankets that surrounded him in warmth, he fell into unconsciousness.

His own hell began almost immediately.

The phantom pains came back, coursing through his skin like the blood that flowed in his veins. Except now, the pains were stronger, and the people that caused them were back as well.

White masks, sinister laughter that echoed in his pounding head. No one was going to save him; he would be tortured and then die. He could not stop the hope that death would not be too far away.

The curses and pain that followed were never far away. He learned quickly to never let his guard down. His shoulders stayed hunched in constant wariness.

There it was.
Crucio, the favorite of many of the Death Eaters. It was followed quickly by a cutting curse that was healed just after he jumped from feeling his skin split open.

They couldn’t have him bleeding to death before it was time. His arm, the smell of burning. Green eyes glancing down to the burned pink flesh that was quickly turning black, like charcoal or shiny obsidian.

A low wail, he hadn’t wanted this. When would he be set free? His captors had to be getting bored, Harry was so tired he was ready to lay down and sleep--and possibly never wake.

That was not possible, he was held tight. No one was coming to free him, no one cared enough.

Then, the faces changed. No more laughing could be heard, the air filled with tension. The Death Eaters moved between shelves lined with smoky, round baubles.

In between them moved Voldemort. His dark cloak made his deathly, pale skin seem translucent, red eyes moved slowly down the shelves as him and his followers walked together.

The Death Easters had their wands out, Harry could almost hear one of them licking their lips in anticipation. Or was it fright? The emotions were high, they differed from each person.

Harry felt overwhelmed amidst them.

Then, Voldemort stopped his slow walk. Bending down, he picked a bauble up from a lower shelf, and then held it near his eyes.

“There you are,” he whispered in triumph. A smile spread on his dreadful face, Harry felt scared and had to look away from the sight in front of him.

Then, the sound of doors flying open made him spin around. Beside him; the Death Eaters did the same. Harry recognized Fenrir Greyback as the werewolf growled out a curse.

The red cloaks of Aurors, and a few familiar faces shooting deadly spells is what shocked Harry out of his nightmare.

“Gasp!” Sounds of violent thrashing filled the darkness until Harry’s eyes flew open.

Panic had him in its grasp. Remnants of the pain he felt in the dream had him shaking uncontrollably. Wrapped up in his own trauma, he barely noticed the alarmed voices as he took gasping breaths and tried to calm himself.

Then, like a lifeline, arms wrapped themselves around his trembling shoulders.

Harry took a deep breath into his comforter’s shirt. The smell of Sirius made him relax slightly. Even still, his heart was still pounding in his ears.

“Shh, Harry, it’s all right. Take deep breaths,” Sirius’s voice was calming, but Harry heard the tinge of fright and felt the arms that were holding him tighter than needed.

“I’m--okay,” he said as he glanced up and met Draco’s curious gaze.

Harry looked away quickly. In the dream he had seen Draco, but he had not been certain just who’s side he was on.

An image from the nightmare came back, and with it came understanding. He knew where Voldemort was.

“The Department of Mysteries,” Harry whispered and saw the hallway in his memories. That had not been in his dreams for quite some time; and among the excitement, he had forgotten it.

Sirius froze. Then, quickly he pushed himself an arm length away from Harry. “What did you say?”

The very air seemed cold and tense as Sirius stared at Harry in shock.

“Voldemort’s in the Ministry of Magic!” Harry said. He tried to get up, but Sirius pushed him back on the bed and quickly headed to the door.

“Stay there,” Sirius yelled as he descended the staircase.

Harry turned and met Draco’s inquisitive gaze. “What’s happening?” Draco asked.

A shrug answered him and Draco frowned. “I’m not staying here. I’m going to find out what’s happening.” He stopped before leaving the room, “I’ll come back and tell you if I hear anything--are you okay?”

Harry rubbed his forehead where his scar was prickling like a itchy bug bite.

“I’m okay I guess,” he said with another helpless shrug.

Draco left the room. Feeling lonely and worried about whatever Voldemort was doing now, Harry sat up and went to his trunk. Digging his invisibility cloak out, he threw it over his shoulders, retrieved his wand, and went down the staircase.

He found Draco with his ear pressed up against the door to the living room.

Not wanting to give away his position, Harry stood back a few feet and waited. He could hear Sirius’s voice through the door, probably talking to someone through the Floo system.

He could not make out any words, and from the expression of frustration on the youngest Malfoy’s face, it seemed Harry was not alone.

Then, the door opened and Draco stumbled back. Sirius raised an eyebrow at him, but only watched as Draco cleared his throat uncomfortably and walked with little dignity to the kitchen.

Harry moved as quietly as he could to get out of Draco’s way. In the doorway, Sirius rolled his eyes before shutting the door back and presumably going back to the Floo.

Deciding that going upstairs would be best, Harry quickly went back up the stairs before someone should notice him missing from his room. As he passed the upstairs library, Harry heard the Malfoys talking.

His feet slowed, as he got closer. Lucius and Narcissa’s rooms connected to the library. Biting his lip, Harry inched into the library.

He was still not comfortable with the Malfoys so close by. They weren’t to be trusted, he did not care what Dumbledore said in this case. An unbreakable vow didn’t change someone.

Being careful of the creaky spots on the floor, Harry crossed the room to their bedroom door, which was cracked. He hoped to hear something about Voldemort’s latest scheme.

It did not seem like Sirius would tell him, and there was no other person in the house who might know. Lucius had been one of Voldemort’s most trusted; surely, he had heard something of a planned attack before he changed sides.

Harry peeked into the Malfoy’s room. He had to slouch so the cloak covered him completely.

“--Black running downstairs, I imagine that’s what is happening,” Lucius said as frowned down at his arm where the Dark Mark was hidden under his long sleeves.

“Why would the Dark Lord attack the Ministry, Lucius?” Narcissa asked her husband from her spot in a chair, a crease of confusion marking her forehead.

Lucius turned and sat down at the small table where their tea was waiting.

“I believe he has need for something in the Department of Mysteries,” Lucius said as he stirred his tea. “I don’t know all the details, bits here and there that Macnair let slip and Severus has told me a little.”

“You’re holding back on purpose,” Narcissa accused, her lips tight a frustrated look in her eyes.

“Narcissa,” Lucius said in fain exasperation, “you know as well as I do that the Dark Lord’s followers like to twist their words. I can’t separate the truth from their lies.”

Reluctantly, Narcissa nodded and waited.

Lucius took his time, Harry noticed. Even though the elder Malfoy did not let his emotionless expression change, Harry was sure he was amused at Narcissa’s impatience.

Harry himself was impatient, and barely holding himself back from strangling the silent man. What had Voldemort been after? Was he finally going to find out?

“It was said that there was a prophecy made between the Dark Lord and Potter,” Lucius said.

From outside the door, Harry stiffened. A prophecy? Surely if there was one about him and Voldemort, someone would have told him?

It could be a lie, or a rumor. Lucius had said the Death Eaters liked to twist their words; this had to be one of those occasions. Harry continued to listen anyway…just in case.

“Even the Dark Lord supposedly doesn’t know it all, one of the Death Eaters told him part of it I was told. Whatever he was told made him attack the Potters.”

There was a short silence in which, Harry found his nails had put small scratches on the door from his tight clutch.

“Who told the Dark Lord of this prophesy?” Narcissa asked.

Harry leaned around the door without realizing it. Lucius opened his mouth to respond and Harry held his breath.

“I think--” Lucius was cut off as Harry’s foot slipped and made a muffled sound against the floor. As Harry straightened with a terrified look on his face, Lucius stood and waved his wand.

Lucius snapped out, “Show yourself!” Harry was too frightened to move, he was going to die on the spot.

Damn it, Harry thought. It seemed stupidity killed the cat, curiosity was just framed. Why did he have to eavesdrop? If Lucius found him, the consequences were endless.

Accio invisibli--” even as Lucius spoke, the door to the Malfoy’s room opened. The elder Malfoy cut his words off and stared in irritation around the room before confronting the potions master standing in the doorway.

Staring at Lucius who was tucking away his wand, Professor Snape raised an eyebrow. “Did I interrupt something?”

Lucius moved away from Harry to the boy’s relief. “Actually, you did. I think there is--was someone in my rooms.”

“Hmm,” Snape looked around the rooms with a disbelieving expression. Lucius shot him a frustrated look before finishing his tea off with one final gulp.

“Was there something you wanted Severus?” Lucius asked.

“Albus is back. You and Narcissa are needed in an urgent meeting,” Snape said and moved to the side so the Malfoys could pass.

Narcissa banished the tea with a reluctant face and headed for the door. “I’m going to see that Potter and Draco have not killed each other yet,” Snape said and Lucius chuckled on his way down the stairs.

Harry waited until the room was clear. He would have to lie to Snape and tell him he’d been in the library, or the kitchen. Hopefully the man had not just come from one of those rooms.

As he exited the room, Harry was taken by surprise as a pale hand reached out and grabbed his collar. Gasping and choking, Harry struggled and Snape let him go but kept a grip on his sleeve and looked at him sternly.

Or tried to look, the cloak kept the potions master from seeing Harry’s face. “Show yourself Potter,” Snape hissed.

Feeling sick to his stomach, Harry pulled the cloak off and stared at his feet. Any other time he would proudly stare Snape in the face, but now Harry was well aware he was in the wrong.

But I did get some interesting information, Harry told himself. He planned to ask the headmaster about it as soon as possible.

“Would you like to explain why you were hiding in the Malfoys’ rooms and listening in on their conversation?” Professor Snape asked.

“Not really….” Harry murmured.

The grip in his sleeve tightened and Harry winced a little but relented. “I wanted to know what V--You-Know-Who was up to. I thought since Mr. Malfoy had been in his inner circle, he might know something.”

Snape let him go and crossed his arms. Harry lifted his eyes and met Snape’s. “What, if anything, did you learn?” Snape asked him.

Harry bit his lip. There was nothing to tell him if the prophecy he had heard about was true or not. He needed to see Professor Dumbledore; he would give him answers…right?

“Mr. Malfoy said someone told part of a prophecy to You-Know-Who. He’s at the Ministry of Magic because he wants the rest of it, isn‘t he?” Harry watched Snape closely for his reaction.

He was rewarded when Snape seemed to pale slightly. Thinking it was because of the mention of the prophecy, Harry continued.

“That’s what he’s after, isn’t it sir?” Harry pressed.

“You were supposed to be blocking Potter,” Snape hissed as he grabbed Harry and marched him up the stairs toward his bedroom.

“I was!” Harry protested. “Maybe my nightmare helped lower my defensive shield,” Harry continued as he tried not to fight the hold on his wrist.

“What nightmare?” Snape asked. Harry stiffened at his slip of the tongue.

Great, now all the Slytherins will know. Brilliant job stupid, Harry scorned himself.

“I had a nightmare, that’s all,” Harry said with self-resentment in his voice. He should not have been having nightmares. He was too old.

“Occlumency should have blocked nightmares,” was what Snape said. “What did the nightmare involve?” To Harry’s relief, the Potions master did not sound disgusted with Harry, just curious.

“Me--being captured by the Death Eaters,” Harry said and Snape nodded. Harry glanced at him as they reached the landing where his and Draco’s bedroom was. There was something about his face that was not normal. His chin seemed stiff and his eyes harder than usual.

As Snape opened the bedroom door and pushed Harry in, Draco stood up from the bed he’d been sitting on. “Where have you been?” he asked as he looked curiously between Harry and Snape.

Surprisingly, Snape did not say anything about Harry sneaking into Draco’s parent’s room, and for this Harry was very grateful. It was hard enough sleeping in the same room with Draco, and not only because he had a very infamous history with Harry.

Pulling a vial out of his robes, Professor Snape handed it to a curious Harry. “Dreamless Sleep potion,” the man explained shortly. Nodding to a slightly offended looking Draco, Snape left to go to the meeting downstairs.

“What were you doing? Why wouldn’t Snape tell me?” Draco asked a few seconds after their door shut.

Harry gazing at the vial that promised him a good nights sleep, did not answer. Oh nothing, just creeping into your parents bedroom like a thief, Harry thought dryly.

At least Snape had not said anything; Harry thought his honesty had something to do with the man’s silence. In a sudden burst of understanding, Harry connected the emotions he had seen on Snape’s face with words.

He’s afraid, or at least a bit worried, Harry thought as his eyes widened. But of what was Snape scared of?

Harry thought back to his short conversation.

Mr. Malfoy said someone told part of a prophecy to You-Know-Who. He’s at the Ministry of Magic because he wants the rest of it isn’t he? Harry repeated his previous words in his mind. If Snape’s curious reaction wasn’t about the prophecy…could he possibly know who told Voldemort part of the prophesy?

“Do you really want me to tell you how ridiculous you look right now?”

Harry stopped staring at the opposite wall and ceased in biting his nail, “No, I don’t,” he said with a glare at a grinning Draco.

“We’d better finish packing,” Harry said. He was looking forward to his return to Hogwarts, not so much the classes, but planning the DA meetings and testing out his new spells.

As Harry gathered his new books, hoping that they would all fit in his trunk, he spotted a letter lying partially under Draco’s pillow.

Suddenly remembering his letter from Sirius that had gone missing so long ago, Harry decided to ask Draco about it. While it was possible he could have taken it, Harry found himself doubting it.

“Before all this happened, when we were--er, fighting?” Harry said. He was uneasily aware of how unsure he sounded and hoped Draco did not notice.

Draco turned around and stared at Harry suspiciously, “What about it?”

“Well, I had a letter and I was just wondering--if you took…it.”

He almost didn’t finish the sentence when he saw Draco nodding. So he had taken it.

“Where’s it at now?” Harry asked, more then a little angry Draco had not returned his property to him.

Draco shrugged and Harry’s fists clenched. “Why not?” he bit out between clenched teeth.

“Your little girlfriend took it.”

Harry stared at him. “Who?”

Draco rolled his eyes and sighed exsaspertly. “Oh Harry, your animagus form is so pretty!” He mocked in a high pitched voice.

Harry abruptly remembered the Slytherin girl that had told him that…and the memory picture he had of her in his brain suddenly grew horns.

“What do you mean she took my letter?” Harry exclaimed. A circle of giggling girls reading out Sirius letter…no, please no.

Draco laughed at his expression. “Settle down, Potter, she threw it in the fire. Didn’t like the idea of me reading it outloud to my friends…I have no idea why,” he added innocently.

Harry blinked. “Better of burned and gone than in your hands,” he said.

The laugh that seemed to explode from Draco; made a surprised Harry stare.

“That--that’s what she said!” Draco said in between laughs and making kissing noises.

Harry flinched. “The forbidden romance, a Slytherin and a Gryffindor…wonderful, I’ll never hear the end of it,” Harry muttered and kicked his trunk.

“Like Romeo and Juliet. Wait until Professor Snape hears,” Draco chuckled.

A trembled theatrically, “Oh, heaven help me,” Harry muttered. “Wait--you read Muggle literature?”

Draco muttered something about the kitchen and retreated. Harry laughed and finished packing.

…………………………

Less than an hour later, Harry heard the members of Order departing.

Draco had already come back from the kitchen; but he said nothing to Harry.

Planning on going to the staircase to listen in on the Order members, Harry was surprised when someone knocked. Smiling, Harry opened the door to see a blue-haired Tonks. She smiled back at him while remarking, “Someone’s happy to go back to Hogwarts.” Then: “Hey Harry, how are you?” and she gave him a quick hug. Harry was expecting the normal, “Wotcher Harry?” but the change was nice.

“H-hey Tonks,” Harry said and her hugged the young lady back, before quickly letting go.

“Get everything?” Tonks asked as she headed over to Harry’s opened trunk.

“Better have. I won’t be back for a while,” Harry said.

“Get mine downstairs as well, will you?” Draco said. His voice seemed to surprise an unsuspecting Tonks. She tripped over the truck making it wobble precariously before it fell over.

Objects slid across the floor while Tonks glared at Draco from her spot on the floor.

“Thanks for the warning, Malfoy,” Tonks said as she stood. Draco wasn’t listening Harry realized. In fact, Draco was too busy reaching down for one of Harry’s scattered books.

A very familiar, tattered looking book.

Eyes widening with realization and horror, Harry jumped over to Draco’s side just as the blond opened the book.

“No!” Harry snapped as he grabbed the book. It was the same one his older self had given him.

Staring at Harry, Draco gaped and then looked at Tonks. “Did you see that? You’d think I found his diary….”

Draco trailed off. Then a smile Harry really didn’t like appeared on his face.

“Potter has a diary,” Draco laughed and Harry forced himself not to sigh in relief. He chose not to speak and continued to put his possessions back in his trunk.

Let Draco believe what he wanted, as long as it did not cause any harm Harry was fine with it.

“Okay, that’s enough,” Tonks scolded as she stared in distaste at a still laughing Draco.

Harry carefully put the book back in the suitcase, and then shut the lid. Tonks made it levitate and they headed downstairs. “I’m going to say goodbye to my parents,” Draco said as he headed down the hall to his parents bedroom.

As Harry went down the stairs there was a quick moment where he wondered if he had thrown away the half-eaten cheese sandwich he’d had earlier. If he hadn’t, then in a day or two someone would have a nasty surprise waiting for them.

With a quiet chuckle, Harry reached the landing and thanked Tonks for her flotation charm on his trunk. Taking it down the steps would be a hassle.

“Where’s my trunk? You brought it down here with Potter’s right?” Draco asked Tonks as he came back down the stairs.

Harry got a glimpse of a few Order members in the kitchen before the door shut and blocked his view.

“I guess I forgot,” Tonks said with a thoughtful expression. As Draco inflated in anger; Tonks gave him a quick grin, then headed for the kitchen.

“Cousin,” Draco was grumbling. “I see nothing resembling me in her, from attitude to looks.”

Harry noded and said quickly, “You’re right. Your attitude is much worse.”

The expression on Draco’s face was worth the pain that followed as the blond hit Harry upside the head. “Stupid Potter,” he muttered.

This bland insult just caused Harry to start laughing. “Did I brain damage give you!” Draco snarled. Then, realizing what he had said, Draco couldn’t help but grin at himself.

Harry, now bent over with laughter, pointed at Draco and choked out, “What was that? I didn’t quite c--catch it.”

“Yes, yes, even I make mistakes.”

The humorous glint in Draco’s eyes told Harry that he was joking. At that moment, Harry wondered why he’d disliked Draco so much. When he was like this, time spent with him was actually enjoyable.

Sirius, Tonks and Professor McGonagall exited the kitchen.

“If you’ll head to the nearest Floo, we can take our leave,” McGonagall said to the boys. She headed toward the downstairs library and Sirius clapped Harry on the back while Tonks got Harry’s trunk.

Reluctantly, Tonks waved her wand again and Draco’s trunk came flying down the stairs.

“I’ll see you at Christmas,” Sirius whispered to Harry as he led him to the Floo. Harry smiled and held out his hand.

“Untill then.” Sirius looked at Harry’s outstretched hand for a second; then reached out to it and used it to pull Harry into a hug.

“Not too manly to hug your godfather, are you?” he asked with a chuckle. Harry shook his head and then was ushered into the Floo.

Tonks levitated Harry’s trunk beside him in the Floo and then waved a cheery goodbye.

Calling out the address, Harry was whisked away to McGonagall’s office and back to his true home. Somehow, Harry managed to stay on his own two feet after exiting the Floo. As he stood there, basking in the glory of not falling on his face--the Floo lighted up again and Draco came out of the Floo.

He bumped into Harry and they fell to the carpet. McGonagall came through the Floo next just to be rammed into the two chests the irrataited students had not moved out of the fireplace.

“Get up and get those trunks up to your rooms before I start deducting points!” she exclaimed and subtly rubbed her sore knee that had been brused on Harry’s trunk.

Harry levitated his trunk and the reminder of all the spells he had to learn made him grin.

“Oh, Potter?” McGonagall called as Harry headed toward the door.

He turned around, “Yes, ma’am?”

“The headmaster wants to see you after you are done putting away your trunk,” the Transfiguration teacher said.

Eyebrows crossed in confusion, Harry nodded and left the room. Was the headmaster going to tell him what Voldemort was doing?

One thing was for sure: in a few minutes, Harry was going to get the answers he wanted about a certain prophecy.

The End.
End Notes:
The reviews really make a difference, so I'd like to thank everyone that has taken the time to do so. Thank you! :)


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1474