Come What May by Scorpia
Summary: Harry's life is turned around and upside down when a late night visitor from the future tells him the unthinkable. Now he must convince Snape to teach him Occlumency, get along with Draco Malfoy and survive through what Voldemort has planned for him.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama
Media Type: None
Tags: Kidnapped, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 5th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Neglect, Torture, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 27 Completed: Yes Word count: 97761 Read: 193130 Published: 09 Jan 2008 Updated: 23 Jan 2009
Chapter 4: The Reward of Giving by Scorpia

The class was suddenly standing in the middle of Magnolia Road in Surrey. Harry’s classmates, though, had no idea where they were. They glanced around curiously.

From where the class stood, the memory of Harry could be seen standing in the shadow of a large lilac tree. He was waiting for Dudley’s gang to move on.“…squealed like a pig, didn’t he?” said Malcolm. The other teens around him guffawed and from behind the lilac Harry shook his head in disgust.

“Are you actually hiding from a Muggle Potter?” Malfoy asked from the Slytherin group. He was gleeful to find some dirt to use against his enemy. The Syltherins burst out in laughter and Professor Snape didn’t stop them.

Harry was surprised to find out that he didn’t feel mad at his professor. Usually when Snape paid no attention to the Syltherins mocking, Harry felt mad. But this time the usual tinge of anger wasn’t there and Harry knew why.

Harry had violated Snape by watching his memories and now Snape was trying to teach him a lesson. Or maybe he was just being mean.

Everybody has a reason for doing something, Harry thought.

Harry tucked that thought away to come back to later and mentally turned back to view the memory.

“Round at my place, my parents are out,” Gordon was saying.

“See you then,” said Dudley.

“Bye Dud!”

“See ya, Big D!”

They left making the way clear for Harry to come out from behind the lilac.

He came up a few feet behind Dudley before he called out, “Hey, and Big D!”

Dudley turned. “Oh,” he grunted. “It’s you.” “How long have you been ’Big D then?” said memory Harry.

"Shut it," snarled Dudley, turning away again. Harry followed, an evil look coming across his features. Ron, having seen that same look just that morning, laughed.

"Cool name," said Harry, grinning, "but you'll always be Ickle Diddykins to me." Hermione frowned at the way Harry was taunting Dudley but Ron was laughing with Dean and Seamus."I said, SHUT IT!" Dudley screamed. His fists were clenched in rage; his face redder than a tomato.

"You don't tell her to shut her face. What about 'popkin' and 'Dinky Diddydums,' can I use them, then?" Harry said innocently.

The memory changed before any of the students could see Dudley’s response.

They were standing in a gray room with a four poster bed and an escaped convict.

“Get out of the way!” a thirteen-year-old Harry yelled. Hermione with her lip bleeding and Ron with his injured leg scrambled to do just that, while the memory-Harry strode to the other side of the room. The class turned, and a collective gasp went up as they saw Sirius Black lying slumped against the wall. A couple of girls even cried out. Professor Snape’s face hardened when he saw his childhood enemy.

Sirius’s thin chest rose and fell rapidly as he watched Harry walking nearer to him. His wand was pointed right at Sirus’s heart.

“Going to kill me, Harry?” Sirius whispered. His blue eyes held so much misery that the present Harry felt his breath catch.

Syltherins and Gryffindors waited with baited breath. Harry stopped right above Sirius, his wand still pointed at his chest. His green eyes were hidden and his wand was steady.

The scene shifted and some of the class let out disappointed breaths. It was night. The sky was clear and the moon was full. Its white light lit up the roof of the towers.

“There he is,” said Neville to his classmates.

They were looking for Harry in the memory. The class and Proffesor Snape turned to where Neville was pointing. Harry was sitting precariously on the edge of the Astronomy tower parapet.

The moonlight made Harry’s hair glint as he stared up at the stars.

The creak of the door to the tower opening made the memory-Harry and the class turned around. As a small, auburn-haired Slytherin slowly came out towards the parapet. The Slytherins in the class stiffened. Snape lifted his head and watched both his Slytherins and the memory of Harry closely.

The small Syltherin caught sight of Harry and gasped before scrambling backwards.

Harry turned back to look at the stars and the Syltherin made to exit the tower. At the door he stopped. With his hand on the doorknob he turned and looked at Harry curiously.

He let his hand drop of the door handle and at his side. He walked slowly back to Harry. When he was right beside Harry he stopped.

“Did you really fight You-Know-Who?” the boy asked quickly.

The class froze. The Slytherins were sure that the kid was going to be cursed and the Gryffindors, who knew better, were waiting for Harry to anwser. The present Harry didn’t look at Hermione and Ron even though he could feel there gazes on him.

The memory Harry was clearly thinking on how to anwser. The little boy shifted uncomfortably.

“I did,” Harry said finally.

“A lot of people don’t believe you.” The boy watched Harry as he said it.

The memory Harry nodded. “I know they don’t. But what am I supposed to do? I can’t make them believe me,” Harry said quietly.

The little boy climbed up on the wall to sit beside Harry.

“I believe you,” he said.

Harry turned his head and smiled slightly at the boy. It was curious that those three words could feel him with such a sense of hope. It was hard to believe that they were spoken by a Slytherin.

“Thanks,” Harry said. Beside the present Harry, Hermione was smiling at the scene. Harry could already see Hermione sporting a house unity badge and it took all his control not to laugh.

The boy smiled and raised his hand. “My name’s Nathanael Cook,” he said.Harry shook his hand. “Harry Potter,” he said. In the background the Syltherins made gagging sounds which the Gryffindors frowned at.

“Why are you up here?” Harry asked and waved his hand around the tower for emphasis.

“I couldn’t find the entrance to the Syltherin common room,” Nathanael muttered with embarrassment. Harry nodded and swung himself back onto the floor of the tower.

“I’ll show you the way back before a professor finds us.”

The scene changed as soon as Harry and Nathanael walked through the door.

The class looked around the room they had landed in. Glass containers were built into the walls with grass and small plants growing inside them.

They were in a zoo. Draco sneered as he looked at the Muggles as they walked past the unseen class. One of the Syltherins let out a shrill scream as a Muggle walked right through him. Snape closed his eyes momentarily and Harry chuckled before turning to the memory. It was a memory from before had went to Hogwarts.

Uncle Vernon was rapping on the glass of a large tank. Dudley was standing beside him looking like a not-so-small miniature version of his father.

An eleven-year-old Harry was waiting on the side lines as his uncle tried to make the container’s inhabitant move.

“This is boring,” Dudley moaned. He shuffled away with his father in tow.

Harry moved forward so that he was in front of the glass container. His hair was as messy as ever and he looked small in the oversized clothing.

His green eyes were full of understanding for the huge snake. The class watched the snake closely. Some of them had never gone to a Muggle zoo, and they were interested in the python.

As they watched the snake opened his eyes and very slowly moved his head so that it was level to Harry’s.

Then, to the surprise of all of them--even professor Snape, the snake winked. The present Harry laughed as his classmated gaped at the snake. The memory Harry winked back at the snake. Then suddenly the snake jerked its head toward Harry’s uncle and cousin. It raised it eyes to the ceiling and gave Harry a look that the whole class understood.

“I know,” Harry murmered to the snake. “It must be really annoying.”

Ron, Dean and some others laughed out loud as the snake shook his head vigorously. Harry was really surprised by there reaction. This wasn’t what he had expected, but even some of the Syltherins were entraced to see the memory Harry talking to a snake, who responded like a human. Snape had even moved forward to get a better view Harry interacting with the snake.

“Where do you come from anyway?” Harry asked.

The snake jabed his tail at a sign next to the glass. The class read the sign which read boa constrictor, Brazil.

“Was it nice there?” Harry asked. The snake jabbed the sign again and Harry read the rest of the sign.

“Oh, I see--so you’ve never been to Brazil?”

The snake shook its head and a shout sounded behind Harry and his classmates, making the memory-Harry and the boa jump.

“DUDLEY! MR. DURSLEY! COME AND LOOK AT THIS SNAKE! YOU WON’T BELIEVE WHAT IT’S DOING!”

Dudley waddled up to the cage. “Out of the way, you,” he said, punching the much smaller Harry in the ribs.

The memory-Harry fell to the hard concrete floor and Draco laughed. What happened next took the whole class (except Harry, of course) by surprise.

Piers and Dudley were one minute leaning on the glass and the next they were jumping away with howls of horror. The glass had disappeared and the snake was taking advantage this surprise. Rapidly it unfolded itself and slithering out onto the floor.

The class momentarily forgot that it was a memory and backed away from the snake. The Muggles screamed and scattered to the exits.

The snake swept pass Harry who was still on the ground. The class and there professor were astounded to here it say, “Brazil, here I come….thanksss, amigo.” The snake made his way out of the reptile house leaving a stunned and confused Harry behind.

The memory changed just as Harry stood up.

Harry, Ron and Hermione were sitting at the Gryffindor table.

“I want to fix that in my memory forever,” Ron was saying. He lifted his head up and closed his eyes as Harry and Hermione watched.

“Draco Malfoy, the amazing bouncing ferret….” The Gryffindors burst into laughter and Draco turned a light shade of pink. The memory changed even as they were laughing.

It was dark in the memory. The laughter from the Gryffindors stopped suddenly.

In this memory, Harry stood with his wand out, and beside him stood Cedric Diggory. Some of the class looked away from Cedric to take in there surroundings. They were in a graveyard. Harry’s leg was bleeding and his jeans were dark from the blood.

“Someone’s coming,” memory-Harry said suddenly. The class turned to look.Squinting through the darkness, they watched thre figure drawing nearer, walking steadily toward Harry and Cedric.

The class was trying to make out the person’s face. They could tell that the person was holding something. Holding it like a baby.

The person was a short man wearing a hooded cape that covered his face. Harry lowered his wand slightly in the memory and glanced at Cedric. Cedris shot Harry a quizzical look and they both turned to watch the man.

The figure stopped beside a towering marble headstone. For a second, the man and the two teen just stared at each other. On the sidelines, the class watched silently.

Suddenly the memory-Harry gasped. His wand fell from his hand as he lifted it to cradle his head. His knees buckled as he fell to the ground. The pain was extreme, the whole class could tell from the expression on Harry’s face.

Hermione gripped Harry’s arm as she watched. Her expression one of pain as she watched her friend suffer.

“Kill the spare,” a cold voice hissed.

The class jumped. Some even gasped. A swishing noise was heard and the present Harry closed his eyes. He knew what was going to happen next.

“Avada Kedavra!”

A blast of green light temporarily blinded the students. The first thing they saw as their eyesight cleared was Cedric lying spread-eagled on the cold ground. He was dead.

Hannah let out a sob that was copied by some of the other girls. Draco Malfoy was looking paler then usual as he stared at the dead body.

Maybe he’ll have second thoughts about turning into a Death Eater now, Harry thought sorrowfully.

Snape was not looking at the body, unlike everyone else. He was watching Wormtail. The memory-Harry stared at Cedric’s face in disbelief. The man put down his bundle, came closer to Harry and grabbed him roughly. Harry didn’t have the strength to put up a fight as he was dragged through the gravyard by Cedric’s murderer.

The class was quiet as they watched the man push Harry hard onto a headstone. The man then conjured ropes that bound Harry from his neck to ankles. Harry struggled and the man hit him hard.

Hermione gasped but covered her mouth quickly as she saw that the man only had four fingers.

“You!” the memory-Harry cried out at the same time Ron spat out disgustedly, “Wormtail!”

Most of the class didn’t know who the man was, but by the looks on Harry’s, Hermione’s, and Ron’s faces, they knew he was someone despised.

Wormtail didn’t look at Harry or reply at all. He was checking the ropes that bound Harry. His fingers trembled uncontrollably.

Wormtail then drew a length of material from his pocket and shoved it in Harry’s mouth. A second later Wormtail was scurrying off and the class wondered momentarily if he was going to leave Harry there. A stirring sound had the class turning to watch the blanket move. Neville swallowed loudly. He was pale as was the rest of the class.

Everyone swivled around when somebody let out a scream. A gigantic snake was swiveling around Harry’s bound legs. This snake was even bigger then the one in the zoo memory.

“Nagini,” Hermione whispered. Harry looked at her in surprise but she was watching the snake. Harry hadn’t told Hermione or Ron what had gone on in the graveyard and they hadn’t asked. Harry wondered where Hermione had learned the name of Voldemort’s pet snake.

A huffing sound made the class turn to watch Wormtail push a huge cauldron into there view. They could hear water sloshing around inside the cauldron. The thing in the blankets was stirring more restlessly now. Wormtail lit fire under the cauldron and the water in it heated up very fast. The water went from boiling noisily to throwing sparks.

In the memory, Harry watched this all silently. Besides the fact that he couldn’t talk because of the material in his mouth, he was also in shock. His very pale skin could now be compared to Malfoy’s and he looked dizzy as he watched the proceedings.

The movement from the bundle became more agaited. A high cold voice came from it, causing gasps and shrieks from some students.

“Hurry!” the cold voice said impatiently.

“It is ready, master,” Wormtail said.

“Now…” said the high voice.

Wormtail opened the robes revealing the thing inside. The memory Harry’s yell were muffled by the rag and the ropes wouldn’t give away no matter how he struggled.The class got a look at the disgusting creature as Wormtail lifted it out of the robes carefully.

An overwhelmed Syltherin collapsed in a faint. With all eyes on the scene taking place nobody noticed the girl lying face down on the ground. Hermione had her hands covering her mouth, and Ron’s mouth was wide open in horror.

Wormtail carried the raw, scaly and hairless creature to the cauldron with obvious revulsion.

The class watched beside their still professor with apprehension. The snake-faced thing went under the water. The class heard the frail body hit the bottom of the cauldron and wished without hope that it would drown. Just like Harry had done less then a year ago.

Wormtail was speaking. His voice shook; he seemed frightened beyond his wits. He raised his wand, closed his eyes, and spoke to the night.

“Bone of the father, unknowingly given, you will renew your son!”

The surface of the grave which Harry was standing on shook and cracked. Horrified, Harry’s classmates watched as a fine trickle of dust rose into the air. It then floated swiftly to the cauldron and dropped softly into it. The surface hissed, sending sparks everywere and then turned a poisonous looking blue.

Wormtail was whimpering now. He pulled a long, thin, shining silver dagger from inside his cloak. His voice broke into petrified sobs as he spoke.

“Flesh--of the servent--w-willingly given--you will--revive--your master.”

He stretched out his right arm over the cauldron. The same arm with the missing finger.

He gripped the dagger tightly and swung the blade upward.

“Oh, Merlin!” Ron gasped as he relized what Wormtail was goint to do. He looked away just in time. Some others weren’t so lucky and they watched as Wormtail’s hand was detached from his arm.

The scream that pierced the night and the splashing sound that followed right after had three more students fainting. Again, nobody turned to help them.

The potion turned a luminous red. So bright was the potion that the students had to look away. When they turned back Wormtail was stumbling over to Harry.

“B--blood of the enemy…forcibly taken…you will…resurrect your foe.”

Harry struggled as the knife was lifted to his arm. The class was momentarily terrified that Wormtail was going to cut off Harry’s arm, too Even though the proof that that was not the case was standing just beside them.

“Oh, God!” moaned a girl, covering her eyes while others looked away quickly.

The memory-Harry didn’t even flinch as the sharp point pierced his skin. He was numb all over, only later would the pain come.

Harry’s blood dribled into a vial that Wormtail held at his arm. Then Wormtail staggered back over to the cauldron to pour Harry’s blood into it. The liquid turned a blinding white. Wormtail collapsed next to the cauldron and sobbed as he held his bleeding stump. For a few moments nothing changed, and then, suddenly, sparks emanated from the cauldron, and a puff of thick white steam rose. The class couldn’t see anything. The steam was worse then a heavy fog.

But then, through the mist in front of them the class saw a dark outline of a man. Tall and skeletally thin, he rose slowly from the inside of the cauldron.

“Robe me,” said the high, cold voice from behind the steam. Wormtail, sobbing and moaning, still cradling his mutilated arm, scrambled to pick up the black robes that were on the ground.

He got to his feet and with one arm pulled the robes over his master’s head.

The thin man stepped out of the cauldron, staring at Harry the whole time he did so.

Some of the class was shaking as they watched the scene. The memory-Harry stared right back at Voldemort. His red eyes and thin snake like face made another person faint…right before the memory changed.

More then one person sighed with relief as the scene blurred and shifted. The class went to wake their classmates. Ron kicked a Syltherin who had fainted at his feet. The Syltherin jerked awake just to glare at Ron and stumble away. Ron chuckled until he saw Hermione frowning at him.

“What?” he asked. Hermione just crossed her arms and turned away.

“Girls,” Harry heard Ron mutter as the scene settled.

They were in the Great Hall at Hogwarts and a sorting was going on. Harry’s sorting, to be exact.

The last person had finally woken from his faint thanks to Professor Snape’s sharp, “Get up!” The blushing Gryffindor straightened up and the class turned to watch the sorting.

Harry had just sat on the stool. He looked down at his feet to dodge the hundreds of eyes staring at him curiously.The hat fell over his face as it was placed on his head by Professor McGonagall.

The class glanced around as they heard a voice come out of nowhere “Hmm,” said a small voice.

“Difficult. Very difficult. Plenty of courage, I see. Not a bad mind either.”

Harry’s classmate’s gazes fixed themselves on his younger self as they recognized the voice.

“It’s the sorting hat!” someone exclaimed. The class realized that what they were hearing was what Harry had heard just a few years ago.

The Syltherins leaned foreword eagerly. Draco, in particular, noticed Harry, looked like he wanted to find something juicy to spread around Hogwarts. He was determined to get back at Harry for the bouncing ferret memory.

“There’s talent,” continued the sorting hat. “Oh my goodness, yes--and a nice thirst to prove yourself, now that’s interesting….So where shall I put you?”

Snape was listening intently, Harry noted. His hated proffesor was still but his eyes sparked with interest.

Wonderful, Harry thought sarcastically. Between Snape and the rest of the Syltherins he would have no secrets left to tell my tomorrow morning.

“Not Syltherin, eh?” said the sorting hat. The class watched as memory Harry’s small body stiffened.

“Are you sure? You could be great, you know, it’s all here in your head, and Syltherin will help you on the way to greatness, no doubt about that--no? Well, if your sure--better be GRYFFINDOR!”

The scene changed as Harry went off to join the screaming Gryffindors. The class looked around in awe as the scene settled. There was snow everywhere. It had to be at least four feet deep and it seemed to shine in the darkness of the night.

The sound of plastic scraping across concrete made them turn. A young Harry was shoveling the snow of the driveway.

He couldn’t have been more then eight. His nose was pink from the cold. He looked so small in the large, but thin, coat that many of the students watching wouldn’t have been surprised if the wind blew him over.

Harry had just gotten done with the driveway and turned to walk toward the front door. Harry placed the shovel beside the front door and tried to open the door.

It wouldn’t budge. Harry shook the door knob angrily with both hands. His young flushed face was sad and angry. The present Harry knew what scene this was and he wasn’t looking forward to watching it with his fellow students.

Harry looked around for Snape and found him watching young Harry intently.

Only Snape’s black eyes moved. He looked liked he was taking in every detail of the memory. As always, his face betrayed no expression.

The class watched curiously. What was keeping Harry from going inside? Young Harry had given up on the door and went around the side of the house untill he came to a window. From the window the students could see Dudley from the earlier, his father and a horse-like woman that had the same color hair as Dudley’s.

They were watching TV, drinking out of mugs and sitting contentedly on a comfy sofa. Harry’s uncle had his arm wrapped around his wife and son as they all laughed as they watched the TV show.

Standing on his toes, young Harry tapped on the glass. The class could tell that Harry’s relatives had heard. Harry’s aunt and uncle’s shoulders stiffened and Dudley actually turned around to stick toungue out at Harry.

Harry crinkled his nose in response and several girls giggled amidst the students. Harry tapped on the glass again, his face pleading to be let inside.

Harry’s uncle got up from the sofa, strode to the window, and after giving Harry a glare he pulled the curtains closed. The class watched the shadow of the large man move away from the curtains. The Syltherins and Gryffindors waited to hear the front door unlock and the caring voice of Harry’s uncle tell him to get in the house before he got sick.

But it never came. Harry started to shiver, but he didn’t move untill the lights went out from inside the house. Then Harry walked toward the front door to try the door knob one last time.

The door wouldn’t open. Harry was shivering violently now, his whole body shook from cold. Slowly looks of realization were spreading amongst the confused students. Harry’s relatives had locked him out of the house.

Harry sat beside the front door. His anger from earlier had faded. Now he only looked sad. The snow had fallen onto his hair and eyelashes and now it was melting, leaving him wet and colder then before.

He pulled his knees to his chest and wrapped his thin arms around them. With a sigh that made some of the students’ hearts ache, Harry laid his head on his knees. The memory changed and the last thing the students saw was Harry shivering on the door step.

The sound of a trunk being shut made the class turn to stare at their old Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. Harry heard sighs from the a large amount of the females in his class and he rolled his eyes. Lockhart was locking many trunks and behind him stood Harry and Ron with angry and incredulous expressions.

Lockhart pulled out his wand and turned on Harry and Ron. Seeing the wand made the hushed giggling stop abruptly and everyone heard Lockhart’s next words.

“Awfully sorry, boys, but I’ll have to put a memory charm on you now.”

The class watched, many of them shocked, a few feeling smug. Some were even boasting about how they had known all along that Lockhart was a fake.

“I knew it from the first time I saw him!” exclaimed a rather loud student.

“Can’t have you blabbing my secrets all over the place,” Lockhart was saying, “I’d never sell another book--”

A twelve-year-old Harry suddenly had his wand in his hand while Lockhart was still drawing his.

“Expelliarmus!” Harry bellowed and Lockhart went flying backwards.

The Gryffindors cheered as they watched Ron throw Lockhart’s want out an open window. Even a few Syltherins were smirking as memory Harry advanced on a cowering Lockhart.

“Shouldn’t have let Professor Snape teach us that one,” Harry said furiously, kicking a trunk out of his way.

A Slytherin started laughing before trying to disguise it as coughing when he caught his professor’s eye.

The memory changed as Harry stood over Lockhart with his wand drawn. For a twelve-year-old he looked very menacing.

The next second the class was standing in a very gloomy looking room. Sunlight was trying, to no avail to shine through the dirty windows.

There were two small beds, an empty frame and one small, old looking dresser. In one bed, Ron was snoring heavily and Harry lay on the other.

The Syltherins were already snickering at the thought of catching the two Gryffindors in their pajamas.

Harry knew what memory this was, and even though he wasn’t happy about sharing it, he was happy that he wasn’t wearing his ratty pajamas.

Memory-Harry stirred and then buried his head under his pillow. Harry was already half awake thanks to the blurry sunlight and he wished he could just go back to sleep.

The creak of a door turned many heads. The class matched as a very big black dog walked silently throught the doorway.

“Looks like a grim,” Harry heard more then one person whisper in fear. Harry smiled, remembering a time when he had thought the same thing.

The dog walked to the foot of memory-Harry’s bed, where he sat and surveyed Harry with a glint in his eyes.

The big dog walked over to the side of the bed, grabbed the cover with his teeth and pulled. The cover slid off Harry and from under the pillow Harry complained.

Sirius dropped the covers and did the dog equivalent of a laugh. His tail shook happily and his shoulders shook.

Harry pulled his legs to his chest. His hooded shirt and sweatpants were become cold rather quickly.

Hermione, Ron and only a few others knew who the huge dog really was. The others who didn’t know were amused and surprised to see the dog acting like a human.

Sirius in his Animagus form went to Harry’s bare feet at the end of the bed and with a snort of laughter, licked one of Harry’s feet.

Harry reacted immediately. With a muffled sound he quickly pulled both feet to safety.

Harry came out from under the pillow and sat up to pull his covers back over his cold body. The big dog grabbed a mouthful of the covers a pulled playfully.

Harry glared at the dog but couldn’t help the small grin that covered his face. When the dog started growling Harry rolled his eyes and pulled harder.

“I am so going to turn you into a pink poodle,” Harry growled at the dog.

Sirius let go unexpectedly and with a yelp Harry fell of the bed.

The class burst into laughter. Snape was the only one without a grin on his face.

The dog went around the other side of the bed where Harry was moaning in between chuckles.

The last thing the class saw was Harry screaming, “Eew! Slobber!” as the dog attacked him with his tounge.

The next memory was extremely different from the last. Where the last memory had a happy, peaceful air to it, this one was sinister and gray.

Voldemort was standing in front of a bound Harry once again. Nobody had time to prepare themselves for what came next.

“Crucio!”

Harry saw Snape pale along with Ron as his memory-self thrashed around.

In the background Death Eaters laughed. Hermione once again had her hands covering her mouth.

A scream of immense pain made its way past memory Harry lips before Voldemort ended the spell a few seconds later.

Neville was shaking. Harry saw and put a hand on his friends arm to remind him that he was still there. Neville glanced at Harry before noticeably trying to calm himself.

Memory-Harry was staring in defiance at Voldemort as the memory changed.

The next memory came quickly. Harry wondered if the potion was starting to ware off/

“KILL THE BOY! LEAVE THE BIRD! THE BOY IS BEHIND YOU! SNIFF--SMELL HIM!”

The shouting was unexpected, so was the giant Basilisk‘s. The Basilisk’s head aimed itself at the determined but scared-looking Harry.

Girls screamed along with a few guys and memory-Harry jumped out of the way just in time. Memory-Harry held a beautiful sword in his trembling hands and bumped into the wall of the room.

The snake aimed again, but this time its aim was true. Harry drove the sword straight into the roof of the monsters mouth. The snake was still for a moment and the class held its breath. Suddenly the Basilisks keeled over sideways. It was dead. The students gasped as they caught sight of Harry.

He was sliding down the wall sword still in hand. A blood drenched fang was driven into his arm and they all knew that his life was draining out of him as they watched.

Harry was wrenching the fang painfully out of his arm as the memory shifted.

The clean, well-furnished house was a dramatic change from the most recent memory. It was too bad that the memory itself wasn’t a happy one.

 

“I should have put you in the orphange when I found you on my doorstep!” Harry’s aunt yelled as she shook a very young Harry fiercely. The class watched with wide eyes. The Syltherins were guilty of open mouths as they watched the memory ‘Pampered Potter’ and his aunt.

She was undoing the lock of a cubouard as she yelled at the little boy who didn’t struggle in here painful grasp.

“You just wait until Vernon gets home!”

When the cupboard door was open she pushed Harry in roughly and re-locked the door.

The memory changed before the class even had time to think about what they had seen.

The room that the class now stood in was big, but everyone’s eyes were watching the scene right in the middle of the room.

Proffesor Quirrell was standing with his back to a very frightened Harry.

For Voldemort’s face was on the back of Quirrell’s head. Finally it was too much for Neville. Basilisks, Voldemort, Sirius Black, more Voldemort. Neville just couldn’t take it anymore. He fainted. Harry saw and caught him. No one else even noticed as he lowered Neville to the floor; they were too busy gawking at Quirrel.

Harry turned his attention back to the memory.

“Now…why don’t you give me that stone in your pocket?” Voldemort was saying.

The memory Harry stumbled backwards. “Don’t be a fool,” snarled the face that would soon haunt the nightmares of several people.

“Better save your own life and join me…or you’ll meet the same end as your parents….They died begging me for mercy….”

“LIAR!” Harry shouted.

Quirrell was walking backwards toward him now and the class watched with wide eyes.

Voldemort was now smiling. It was something that everyone there wished they would never see again.

“How touching…” he hissed. “I always value bravery…Yes, boy, your parents were brave….”

Abutly the memory changed, to the disappointment of many.

The white walls of the Hospital Wing surrounded them. Harry was sitting up on one bed. Mrs. Weasely, Ron, and Hermione were either sitting or standing at his feet. Some of the class was surprised to see the big dog from a previous memory also sitting near Harry’s feet.

Dumbledore and Snape were standing near the door.

“And now,” Dumbledore was saying, “it is time for two of are number to recognize each other for what they are. Sirius…if you could resume your usual form.”

The class watched the dog expectantly. They weren’t disappointed as the dog quickly turned into a man.

Mrs. Weasley screamed and Neville jerked awake from his place on the floor.

“Sirius Black!” Mrs. Weasley shrieked, pointing at him.

“Mum, shut up!” Ron yelled just before the memory changed, leaving some very unsatisfied students.

Harry looked to be about thirteen in the memory. He was sitting beside a small bed with a ratty blaket, a scratched up desk sat in one corner.

Hedwig was sitting on his knee and Harry was absently stroking her. There was nothing else in the bare room and it had a gloomy air to it. On the side of Harry’s face the class could see a bruise on his chin. Harry’s head jerked towards his bedroom door and the class heard the sound of heavy footsteps.

Hedwig heard them too and she flew off Harry’s knee and to the window. Harry went to the window with a slight limp in his step that no one missed.

The black-haired boy quickly let Hedwig out. The heavy footsteps stopped outside Harry’s bedroom door and Harry froze. The memory changed as the sound of locks being opened sounded from the other side of the door. But instead of another memory, the Potions classroom came back into view. The class looked around warily, Then all eyes turned to Harry. Nobody said anything for a while. They had seen so many things about him. They had so many questions!

“Class dismissed,” Snape said silkily, causing the students to start.

Students gathered their stuff with slow movements. Snape must have caught this because he snarled, “Anybody still here in two minutes can start cleaning up!”

Half the students were gone in less then a minute.

Harry gathered his supplies quickly. He wanted to get as far from Snape and the prying eyes of his fellow students as soon as he could. Ron and Hermione didn’t say anything, but glared at people that were watching Harry. Just as they were about to exit the room Snape spoke up.

“Remidal Potions starts at eight, Mr. Potter,” he said. “Don’t be late.”

Harry froze. Was Snape actually telling that he was going to restart there lessons? Harry decided not to ask.

Don’t look a gift horse in the mouth, he thought.

“I won’t sir,” Harry said breathlessly. Without looking back at Snape; he left the room, Hermione and Ron followed.

Harry never saw Snape turn to watch his receding back with curious eyes.

The End.
End Notes:
Thanks so much for the reviewers who gave me memory ideas! If I told you I was more nervous about this chapter then a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs, would you review?


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1474