Come What May by Scorpia
Summary: Harry's life is turned around and upside down when a late night visitor from the future tells him the unthinkable. Now he must convince Snape to teach him Occlumency, get along with Draco Malfoy and survive through what Voldemort has planned for him.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama
Media Type: None
Tags: Kidnapped, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 5th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Neglect, Torture, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 27 Completed: Yes Word count: 97761 Read: 193303 Published: 09 Jan 2008 Updated: 23 Jan 2009
Chapter 6: Fighting and Fun by Scorpia

It was early in the morning but Harry was wide awake. When he had entered the Room of Requirement that morning he had been frustrated. After his vision, the hurt from his meeting with Dumbledore, and his restless night, all he had wanted to do was duel somebody.

As soon as that thought had entered Harry’s mind, a dummy had appeared out of nowhere, with a wooden body and fake wand that shot real spells. Harry ducked and sent another spell at the dummy. It collapsed. Harry smiled to himself and panted slightly as he stared down at the dummy. After taking a quick shower he had run down to the Room of Requirement. After a quick search he had found just what he wanted. More practice dummies then he could dream of.

Harry took his frustration out on the faceless, wooden models over and over again.

He was sweating, putrid and tired, but he had not felt so good in days. Harry was happy. And if he had been happy with that, then he was ecstatic when he found out that the dummy could be adjusted to fight better or worse. There was a knob built into the back of the dueling dummy that could be turned to one of three options: easy, medium, or difficult.

Harry found out the hard way that he could not duel on difficult. An unexpected cutting hex had made sure of that. Luckily he had dodged it just in time. The suit of armor behind him was not as lucky.

They walk like the zombies in Dudley’s video games, Harry thought as the dummy walked toward him. Without faces they are more then a little scary looking, Harry thought. No matter the fact that they were made of wood, the fighting dummies were fast when set on medium.

Harry practiced with two dummies both set on medium until he felt like he was about to drop. And even though he felt exhausted, it was a pleased exhaustion. He had learned a few spells that he had never heard of before and Harry knew that they would come in handy.

Hermione’s going to be so jealous, Harry thought evilly as he looked around at the totally destroyed dummies. He finally knew something she did not, and it was a satisfying feeling. Harry could not wait to tell Ron and Hermione about his discovery. For now he had forgotten his worries about Voldemort-plagued visions, Occulmency, and Umbridge. Happily Harry headed back up to Gryffindor Tower for a shower.

…………….

Thirty minutes later Harry was heading to the Great Hall with Ron and Hermione.

“You never told me where you went this morning,” Ron said grumpily. The redhead had not been very happy to discover that his friend had left Gryffindor Tower without him.

Harry looked around and found that besides Ron, Hermione and himself, there were only a few people in the large corridor. Hermione leaned in to hear what Harry was going to say and Ron imitated her movements from Harry’s other side.

“I found the perfect thing to help the DA with dueling,” Harry whispered mischievously. Ron and Hermione’s patience lasted three seconds before Hermione gave in.

“Harry,” she scolded impatiently. “Tell us!”

So with a smile Harry told them of the practice dummies. Harry was happy to see that Ron and Hermione were thrilled about the fighting dummies.

“It was good dueling with other students, but competing with them doesn’t improve our skills to the extent we might need one day,” Hermione was saying. “But since the dummies can fight like a grown witch or wizard does, we can learn a good deal more.”

His friends nodded, after a few moments Hermione started to speak again. “Did you learn anything from your Occlumency books, Harry?” At Hermione’s question Harry groaned out loud.

Ron grinned and Hermione frowned at them both.

“Shall I take that as a ‘no’?” Hermione asked as they entered the Great Hall.

“I got stuck,” Harry grumbled as he sat down at Gryffindor Table.

“On what?” Hermione and Ron asked the question at the same time. Wryly grinning at them Harry continued, “The book said I had to find a safe place and…well-”

“You couldn’t find one you thought suitable?” Hermione cut in knowingly.

“How did you guess?” Harry asked and he stopped filling his plate to give Hermione his full attention.

Hermione rolled her eyes. “Just that,” she said. “I guessed.”

Ron sniggered and Harry threw him a halfhearted glare. “Even Hermione guesses every once and a while,” Ron said, shaking his head. “It’s a miracle!” Harry said as Hermione blushed lightly and blinked embarrassedly.

With an evil grin Ron continued kidding Hermione. “We have to tell the Daily Prophet!”

Harry made a face, “Forget them,” he said seriously. “We’ll inform the Quibbler. They have all the important information.”

Ron started choking on his pumpkin juice and even Hermione could not hold in an undignified snort.

Hermione turned back to Harry. “How long did you study?”

Harry shrugged, “I don’t know, maybe an hour?”

Hermione nodded, her eyebrows crinkled in thought. Uh oh, Harry thought warily, he didn’t like the look on his bushy-haired friend’s face.

“What is it?” Harry asked her tiredly as he placed his fork down.

“Well Harry, It sounds like you gave up rather fast to me,” she said with a dainty shrug.

“It does?” Harry asked in a concerned voice. Ron snorted into his food from beside Hermione.

“Don’t listen to her, mate, she just wants to play teacher,” Ron said.

Hermione rolled her eyes at him but any response was cut off as owls started flying in overhead.

Harry continued to eat, not even bothering to look for Hedwig. It was very rare for him to receive mail. The only one who really owled him was Sirius and then there was the occasional letter from Hagrid inviting him down for tea. So Harry was surprised when Hedwig landed before him with a letter in her beak.

“Hey girl,” he whispered and held out the crust of his toast to her. She took it and Harry untied his letter from her leg.

Sirius, Harry thought as he immediately recognized the hand writing as that of his godfather.

“It’s from Snuffles,” he said to a curious Ron and Hermione.

Hermione nodded as if she expected this piece of information.

“You’d better wait until after classes to open it, Harry,” she said as she stood up from the table.

Brushing crumbs of her skirt she motioned for Harry and Ron to hurry up. Harry petted Hedwig who flew off after nipping him affectionately and Ron grabbed his book bag from under the table.

“Okay,” Ron said with one last bite of toast. “Let’s go.”

“We don‘t want to be late foe Herbology,” Hermione said as she headed towards the Entrance Hall doors.

Ron groaned, “What will it be this time? Man-eating plants or pus-collecting?” Ron shivered theatrically and Hermione lips turned upwards in a smile.

Harry hadn’t stepped outside once in the last few days and the warm sunlight on his face felt wonderful. I could stay out here all day, Harry thought as he surveyed the grounds. The air was fresh and it carried the scent of flowers. Harry turned to see Hermione and Ron looking just as content as he felt.

Hermione started walking towards the greenhouses but her footsteps were rather sluggish.

“We have about thirty minutes of free time after lunch,” she said slowly. Harry and Ron turned to there friend wondering what she was trying to say.

“Instead of doing homework inside--we can do it outside,” she finished hurriedly.

Ron grinned widely and glanced at Harry. Hermione caught their exchange and she spoke quickly.

“Just do our homework, that’s all,” she said with a slight blush.

“Are you telling us or yourself?” Harry said teasingly as he watched Hermione with faint surprise. In her own way, Hermione was telling them that she didn’t want to do her homework during break.

Surprises never cease, Harry thought with a grin. Hermione, looking flustered, sped up and reached the greenhouses before Ron and Harry.

Harry slipped inside the green house to stand beside Hermione. This lesson was with the Hufflepuffs and Hannah waved at Harry from down the long table. Harry smiled back and then turned his attention to Professor Sprout.

“Good morning class,” the professor said cheerily. “Today will be working with the wood anemone.” Professor Sprout waved her wand and a pot of the flowering plants appeared in front of each student.

“Now,” Sprout said, “who can name the main use of this plant?”

Hermione, Neville and a few others raised there hands. Sprout called on Neville for the anwser. Hermione frowned and Ron rolled his eyes at her.

Neville mumbled something incoherent and Professor Sprout frowned. “Speak up, boy,” sher scolded and some students sniggered.

“It’s the main ingredient in the pain reliever potion?” Neville said carefully.

“Are you asking me or telling me?” Sprout asked with a smile to lessen the blow. A Hufflepuff laughed out loud at poor Neville and Harry glared at him. The boy snapped his mouth closed and looked away from Harry.

“Telling you, professor,” Neville said with a blush. Sprout smiled, “Five points to Gryffindor,” she said.

“Wood anemone and only wood anemone is the correct main ingrediant. There is also mountain anemone and regular anemone; you would have disastrous effects if you tried to use either of those for the potion.”

Harry studied the plant in front of him. It was delicate and small with deeply cut leaves that appeared to be divided into three or five leaflets.

“These plants are going to stock the Hospital Wing with pain reliever potion. Only the leaflets are used in this particular potion but other parts of the plant can be used in different potions,” Sprout said. She looked at the plant in admiration and Harry turned his head to hide his smile.

“Now, to collect the leaves we must be very gentle or we will kill the plant….”

………………………

Harry, Ron and Hermione left Herbology about an hour later and were on their way towards there next class when Neville caught up to them.

“When is the next DA meeting?” Neville whispered excitedly.

Harry was slightly taken back and he stumbled for words.

Luckily Hermione spoke up saving Harry from searching for words.

“How about tonight?” she asked Harry more so then Neville.

Tonight? Harry thought with disappointment. That sounded kind of soon to him and he was planning on studing Occulmency tonight. But Neville did not give him time to respond. “Great! I’ll tell Hannah and Ernie,” he said cheerfully.

Harry watched his usually shy friend run to catch up with Hannah and Ernie.

“I hope you didn’t have plans,” Ron said, “because it’s too late to say anything now.”

Harry grimaced slightly and Hermione catching his expression crinkled her eyebrows in concern. “It will only be for a couple of hours, Harry. You may still have time to do whatever you wanted to do.”

Harry sighed but nodded in agreement. Hermione smiled and started talking about what they could do in the DA tonight.

………………………

“And I expect a three foot long essay on the process of becoming an Animagus,” Proffesor McGonagall said. It was the end of Transfiguration and Harry was eager to get out. It had been a very interesting lesson and Hermione looked slightly starry eyed from all the information she had learned.

“What I wouldn’t give to be an Animagus!” Ron exclaimed as they exited the room.

Hermione nodded eagerly. “Think of how much you could learn,” she said in awe.

Harry nodded in understanding but Ron asked, “What do ya mean?”

“Well,” Hermione started patiently, “If your form was something small you could listen into conversations like that horrible Skeeter women did.”

Ron looked at her with wide eyes and Hermione sighed. “I mean listen into Death Eaters conversations to help the Light, not for your job!”

“Oh,” Ron said with a slight blush and Hermione shook her head while Harry smiled at their antics.

“I wonder what my form would be,” Harry wondered out loud as they headed toward the Great Hall for lunch.

Hermione frowned thoughtfully while Ron laughed out loud.

“Hermione would be an owl,” he stated in a confident voice.

“What makes you so sure?” Hermione asked as she crossed her arms stiffly.

“You’re always asking questions; it would be perfect. Who? Who?” He said and Harry burst into laughter Ron following quickly.

“Ha ha, you’re so funny, Ronald,” Hermione said but a grin lit her face. They entered the Great Hall and Ron’s stomach growled at the smells that filled the air.

Harry moved to sit next to Hermione but Ron literally jumped in front of him and flung himself into the seat. Harry amusedly sat across from them, Hermione had not even noticed and was filling her plate.

Fred and George surprised Harry by coming up to him, “Ernie told us about the DA metting tonight,” said Fred in a low voice.

“Can’t wait, hope you have something exciting planned,” George said from Harry’s other side. The twins moved of leaving Harry to his lunch.

I guess I can show everyone the dueling dummies, Harry thought. I wonder if I can get twenty-eight dummies. Harry smirked and when Ron looked at him weirdly Harry explained.

Ron and Hermione laughed but abruptly Hermione stopped.

“Umbridge isn’t at the head table again. I wonder where she keeps running off to,” Hermione said biting her lip.

“Off strangeling kittens, no doubt,” Ron said darkly.

“Dumbledore and McGonagall don’t look to happy, either, and neither does Snape, for that matter,” Harry said as he studied the faces of his professors.

“When does Snape ever look happy?” Ron asked disdainful tone.

Harry nodded at the truth of the statement before going back to his meal.

………………………

After lunch they headed outside to enjoy their short break.

Right outside the doors Ron looked over at Hermione and frowned.

“Here, let me take that for you Hermione,” he said as he took Hermione’s heavy book bag from her.

Hermione looked startled at the kind act. “Tha-thank you, Ron,” she stuttered.

Ron studied the ground as he walked a slight blush on his features. “You’re welcome,” he mumbled.

Hermione looked at Harry bewilderment. The look on her face asked, what’s with Ron?

Harry turned away to hide his wide grin. He couldn’t wait to get Ron alone.

Hermione sat under the large boughs of a tree and Ron placed her book bag beside her gently. Hermiome smiled at him and Ron positively beamed. Hermione opened her bag to take out a book.

Harry shook his head. If it’s not for homework it’s for enjoyment. He started to walk along the lake and suddenly Ron was walking beside him.

“So, when you going to ask her?” Harry asked as he picked up an interesting stone before resuming his walk. Time to tease, Harry sang in his head. He was not sure if Ron was even aware of his bizarre behaviour.

Ron frowned, “Ask who what?” He said in a mixture of puzzlement and sarcasm.

“You know,” Harry said slowly, “when are you going to ask Hermione to be your girlfriend?”

Ron halted in his surprise but Harry did not stop his walk right along the edge on the lake.

As Ron’s best friend, I can’t let his first crush get by without first teasing him mercilessly, Harry thought wickedly.

Ron suddenly got over his shock and ran to catch up with Harry. “I don’t know what you’re talking about,” he said but there was a bright red blush that gave him away.

Sure you don’t,” Harry said teasingly. “I don’t!” Ron said desperately.

Harry grinned and began the ultimate torment.

“Ron and Hermione sittin in a tree K-I-S-S-I--Arrgh!” Harry was cut of as Ron pushed him into the lake.

Harry took a gasp of air right before he broke the surface of the dark lake.

His first reaction was to swim back to surface immediately, but Harry changed his mind as an evil idea took over.

He let himself sink down some under the murky lake. He could see, but only barely. There was no fish or Merpeople in sight, much to Harry’s relief.

Of course the Merpeople are usually near the bottom of the lake, Harry thought. The only thing he really needed to worry about was the giant squid.

Harry waited a couple of seconds before swimming towards the suface. Now he could see the figures of Ron and Hermione standing at the edge of the lake. Harry snuck up towards Ron and until he got close enough to touch him.

He’s going to kill me, Harry thought gleefully.

In a burst of motion Harry’s hand shot out of the water to his elbow. His hand wrapped quickly around Ron’s ankle and Harry yanked with all his might.

Ron descended into the lake with his arms flailing and Harry had to surface or he would have sucked in water as he laughed. The first thing he saw was Hermione’s concerned face. As soon as she saw him laughing at poor Ron who had surfaced and was sputtering she started scolding him.

Harry could not here his friend rebuking him; he was laughing too hard.

“You-your face!” Harry gasped just barely keeping himself from falling over into the water.

Ron glared and started coming towards him menacingly. Still laughing Harry tried to get away before Ron caught him and took out his revenge. Hermione had stopped scolding and was now sitting on the bank as she watched.

Ron was the better swimmer and he caught Harry easily. “No!” Harry yelled in mock horror as Ron grabbed him and pushed his head under.

Ron laughed as Harry struggled but finally let go. Harry surfaced with a gasp and a sour look in Ron’s direction.

His glasses were filthy and he couldn’t see anything. Harry quickly cast a water proof spell on them before taking after Ron.

Ron splashed away and made it to the bank before Harry could catch him.

“You’re both going to catch a cold,” Hermiome said with disproval as Harry climbed out after Ron.

Harry exchanged a mischievous look with Ron and he grinned in return. They both turned on Hermione with matching grins and Hermion stood up quickly.

“Don’t you da-Aaahhhh!” She was cut off as Harry and Ron ran towards her. Hermione started running, shrieking all the way. Water dripped off Harry as he ran; he could not remember having this much fun with his friends.

Ron caught Hermione around the waist and Harry grabbed her feet. Together they carried her to the lake smiling and laughing all along the way. “No,” Hermione moaned as they started to swing her back and forth but a laugh escaped her mouth.

“One, two, three!” Ron yelled and he and Harry let go of Hermiome who flew into the lake with a squeal.

Ron jumped in after her with a big splash.

“You two are horrible!” Hermione screeched as she struggled to get out of the water.

Harry sat on the shore and watched his friends as they started to splash each other laughing the whole time.

After a while they climbed out and collapsed beside Harry. Ron shook his head like a dog showering Hermione and Harry who protested feebly.

Hermione stood up a minute later. “Come on, we have Umbridge next,” she said with a sigh.

Harry frowned, the sun felt so good on his wet skin. He was not cold or tired but he felt like he could lay there with his friends forever.

Why can’t I have more days like this? He wondered sadly.

Ron groaned but stood up when Hermione prodded him with her boot. Harry followed Ron’s example with a sigh and gathered his book bag.

Hermione cast a drying charm on them all and they headed back toward the castle doors.

………………………

 

Harry walked into Umbridge’s class with a demeanor that scared many people watching him. Head held high, jaw clenched, green eyes blazing and looking prepared for anything was how more than one girl would describe him later. This class was with the Hufflepuffs and Harry’s eyes met the ones in the DA as they looked at him.

With his friends beside him, Harry sat down, crossed his arms and waited for the lesson to begin. He was ready for whatever Umbridge would hand him, or so he thought.

Umbridge came through the side door with a mock-regretful face. The class quieted, albeit slower then normally thanks, to the resent rebellion that had taken place. Harry glanced around to see that the members of the DA in the classroom had rebellious faces as they stared coldly at the professor.

“Before we begin, I have one question for Mr. Potter,” Umbridge said quietly and if it was anybody else, Harry would have felt downhearted by the tone.

But this was Umbridge and all Harry felt toward the vicious woman was intense hatred.

“Do you plan on keeping up thi-this mutiny that I saw the other day, Mr. Potter?”

Umbridge stuttered to Harry in a false sad and helpless tone. One would think Umbridge was speaking to a helpless child who could not stop his wicked ways.

Harry did not know where this was going, but he was sure he would not like it.

A gentle hand squeezed his in reassurance and Harry sent a grateful glance at Hermione for her silent support before he started speaking.

“I will not consent to a ministry worker who wants to keep us unknowledgeable in the art of self-defense,” Harry said, leaning forward in his seat as he did so.

Umbridge gave him a sad look that made Harry’s anger bubble.

“You are too young to understand that your elders know best, Mr. Potter,” Umbridge said with a sigh as she straightened her ugly sweater.

Harry was thinking very ugly thoughts at the moment and he tried to get a hold on his emotions before he did something he would regret.

“I think I understand quite well,” Harry growled out even thought Hermione squeezed his hand in warning.

Umbridge was silent for a couple of seconds and the class waited with bated breath.

“You need more discipline,” Umbridge said quietly as she stared at Harry. “I’ll have to see about getting rid of the bans on special punishment just for your case.”

Gasps echoed across the room and Harry could feel the gazes of his classmates bouncing back and forth between him and Umbridge. Harry himself was having trouble not gaping at the women while wondering what she meant.

Umbridge, being the wicked lady that she was, smiled sweetly at their expressions of shock and answered the one unasked question.

“And if corporal punishment doesn‘t work out your case, I‘ll have to get permission from the minister to use curses as well,” the professor said with a mock sad smile that showed all of her teeth.

Harry could not believe what he was hearing. Surely his ears were clogged?

“After all, we can’t have discontent within ourselves now can we?”

Umbridge seemed to take the classes silence as compliance to her order.

“There now,” she said with a thin smile. “We got that straightened out rather quickly, didn’t we?”

Nobody answered her but stared with wide eyes, she did not appear to care.

“Open your books to page one-thirty four….” And so the lesson began as more than twenty students quickly opened their books.

Through the whole Defense class Harry did not say a thing. What am I going to do now? He thought desperately. Umbridge had to be gotten rid of and soon, before she had everybody giving up. Hogwarts was Harry’s home and he wasn’t about to give it up to someone detestable as Umbridge.

He needed a plan, and it had to be a good one if it was going to get rid of the toad-like menace. Maybe he could get some parents involved; they were always willing to cause mayhem when their children were involved.

Just look at what happened to Lupin, Harry thought. Lupin was chased away from Hogwarts for being a werewolf, surly the parents would demand the same thing happen to Umbridge if they knew how some of their kids were treated, Harry thought as his gaze shifted towards his scarred hand.

Umbridge’s nerve is astounding, even Snape has never threatened us with corporal punishment or curses, Harry thought as he stared unseeingly at the text book.

There was no doubt in Harry’s mind that Umbridge had already discussed the matter with the minister.

And of course Fudge, being the idiot that he is, most likely consented, Harry thought with anger. Umbridge will just hang her threats over our heads, Harry growled mentally.

Once again he felt Hermione lay a comforting hand on his clenched fist. Harry relaxed slightly. His friends were still with him.

Harry was the first to leave the classroom when the lesson was over. He felt Umbridge’s evil eyes following his back all the way to the door and held back a shiver.

His classmates gathered around Harry with Ron and Hermione closest to him. Others kept away. If Umbridge had it in for Harry, they did not want the same trouble. They waited until they rounded a corner before talking.

“What are we going to do about that- that evil witch!” Dean bust out in anger. Many added their own insults and complaints.

Harry shook his head and many seemed to slump in defeat and Harry quickly held up his hands.

“Don’t get downhearted! We just need to come up with something that nobody will be able to ignore,” Harry said in a fierce whisper.

Lips were bit, fingernails were chewed and feet were tapped in thought.

“Has anybody told their parents about Umbridge’s detentions?” Hermione asked what Harry had wondered earlier.

Glances were exchanged as people shook their heads. “Umbridge will just read it in the mail and change the letter!“ exclaimed somebody and other voices were added in agreement.

Harry sighed and looked at his classmates and discovered that all of them were in the DA and they looked ready for action.

“We can discuss this tonight. You know where,” Harry said in a whisper that carried to his classmates. They nodded and dispersed to their classes.

Next was Potions class, and Harry prepared himself for the verbal abuse that was sure to come.

“Do you have a plan?” Ron asked from beside Harry.

“About Umbridge?” Harry asked in puzzlement. Ron rolled his eyes at his friend and Hermione shot him a look that clearly said ‘play nice.’

“Well, yeah--I kinda have a plan,” Harry said weakly and with a shrug.

“Wonderful,” Ron drawled sarcastically and Harry could not help thinking that his red-haired friend was right.

“Oh, come on you two,” Hermione said in a cheerful voice that was a little stressed. “Both of you are acting like a pair of pessimists! Where’s the fun in life if you think the worst about everything?” Hermione’s words made Harry and Ron exchange looks.

“We should throw her in the lake more often if she’s going to be this cheery,” Ron said.

Hermione slapped Ron on his arm as he and Harry started laughing. Even as they reached the Potions classroom, Harry’s smile only faltered slightly. The Slytherins around the door to the classroom looked up curiously as the friends approached.

“Just keep your cool, mate,” Ron said in a whisper and he patted Harry on his back.

Harry snorted. “Easy for you to say.”

Hermione and Ron shot each other a look and Harry started to feel irked at that alone. Plus the tension at having the Slytherins staring at him was not helping his temper.

Harry saw Draco Malfoy heading toward him and braced himself. But the door to the Potions classroom opened before Draco reached him. “Enter,” snarled Snape’s vioce.

With a regretful look towards Harry, Draco followed Snape’s instructions. He and the other Slytherins hurried into the room sneering, smirking or ignoring the three Gryffindors as they went.

Harry entered the room with the other Gryffindors and quickly took a seat, trying not to draw Snape’s attention.

But Harry knew as soon as Snape’s eyes met his; that this was going to be one of his more unpleasant then usual potion classes.

The End.
End Notes:
Sorry about the filler chapter. I am also sorry that Draco did not make his appearance. He will show up in seven, lucky number seven, Lol. Help an author, give a review, hehe.
Scorpia


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1474