A Shocking Discovery by wrappedinharry
Summary: A near tragedy and a shocking discovery lead two bitter enemies to much soul searching and eventual acceptance of each other. Much angst along the way though. Some Ginny and Harry.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dudley, Dumbledore, Ginny, Hermione, McGonagall, Petunia, Remus, Ron, Tonks, Voldemort
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Drama, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Alcohol Use, Character Death, Profanity, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 43 Completed: No Word count: 339022 Read: 205246 Published: 14 Jan 2008 Updated: 01 Aug 2010
Chapter 29: Comfort and Confusion by wrappedinharry
Author's Notes:
Harry and Sev become closer but what's wrong with Ginny?

Harry's smile slowly faded, but it didn't disappear altogether...rather, it became a slightly self-conscious grimace. He became fascinated by his trainers again. The disconcerting realisation that he had practically thrown himself into Severus Snape's arms was washing over him again. Sixteen year old boys should not need physical comfort, certainly not from a guy...even a father, and certainly not a hug.

So why had that contact felt so good? He had been hugged by Ginny, Hermione, Mrs Weasley and even Tonks, and all of those displays of affection had warmed his heart...especially Ginny's; well...Ginny's hugs had done more than warm his heart! But being enclosed by the strong masculine arms that had just wrapped tightly around him had felt more than heart-warming; it had felt safe and secure.

It couldn't be wrong for a father to hold his grown up son in his arms...could it? It was just that Harry hadn't grown up with any kind of affection...the female affection he had received since entering the wizarding world had been easy enough to adjust to after having Hermione throw herself into his arms countless times...it was either adjust or suffocate under that mass of hair. After all, hugging was what females did. But male affection was different...hell, he loved Ron like a brother but they hadn't hugged each other, not that he could recall anyway. And he sure wouldn't tell Ron that he loved him either. Ron would probably deck him!

In the household he had grown up in, Harry couldn't recall Uncle Vernon hugging Dudley...ever! The physical affection was left up to Aunt Petunia because Uncle Vernon was frightened of turning Dudley into a ‘Nancy boy'. The most physical his uncle got with Dudley was to clap him on the back.

Looking up shyly through his fringe at his father-Harry wondered how long thinking of Snape as his father was going to feel alien-he decided there and then that he definitely wouldn't object if his dad wanted to hold him again in the future...if the circumstances called for it. After all, if Uncle Vernon didn't hug his son, then that was definitely not the way things should be done.

Harry saw that his father wasn't smiling, but nor had he closed himself off either. His obsidian eyes were raking over Harry as if he was really only seeing him clearly for the first time. And indeed, in a way, he was. Severus was seeing a vulnerable young boy who carried the weight of the wizarding world on his shoulders. This Harry wasn't exhibiting any of the false bravado, impudence and disrespect that so annoyed Severus. He was a scared child-and that was all he was...a child who was fearful of what was prophesied for his future, and he needed the stability of knowing that he had someone who would stand by him no matter what. Of course, Dumbledore would be there for Harry for as long as humanly possible, but somehow, having someone that you could call your own was different. Severus was sure that Harry saw Albus as an hierarchal figure, able and willing to share knowledge and dispense advice, but a little too legendary and, well...antique, to be able to easily confide in for all that he cared deeply. Harry needed a father, not a grandfather....Albus had known that; that was why he had pushed so hard for Severus to verify his paternity.

Severus thought back over the last three weeks and the happenings that had occurred and the revelations that had come to light. When Albus had told Minerva and himself, about the contents of the prophecy, he, Severus had practically scoffed...there was no way that mediocre Harry James Potter was going to be able to finish off the newly resurrected Dark Lord, so it was practically a given that the boy was going to die. This news had virtually had Minerva in tears, but Severus had shown his usual disdain for anything to do with the boy...though not out loud; he was more than a little nervous of Minerva McGonagall in a towering rage. Once alone though, he had contemplated what the almost certain demise of the boy meant; he, Severus would no longer have a living relative, and somehow, even before he had known of his and Harry's closer relationship, the thought had not cheered him.

What a change time and knowledge wrought. Now, if it came down to it, he, Severus Snape would do what Lily had done all those years ago; he would shield Harry with his life. Before today, the only people Severus would have willingly given up his life to protect were his mother and Lily.

Perhaps the unveiling of his and Harry's relationship at this time had also been destined. Maybe Trelawney had predicted this, but there had been no one to hear her rambling. Because if Harry Potter ever needed adult help and stability, it was now and into the future, however long it took to meet his destiny. Severus was determined that Harry would not go into that future alone.

I will look after our son, Lily and James, or I will die trying.

Harry was becoming more and more self-conscious as the silence continued. Now that he thought about it, the stillness was all encompassing...he couldn't even hear any bird song, or a breeze blowing the leaves on the trees. In fact, their was absolutely no noise that might have muffled his voice when earlier, he had-as usual-yelled.

"Oh, God!" he said, staring appalled at Severus. "They probably heard every single word we said up at the house. Ron's window looks out this way." And then his emerald eyes widened behind the round lenses of his glasses. "Ron and Hermione would have seen too."

Severus grasped Harry's shoulder and squeezed. "For Merlin's sake, breathe, boy!" He forced Harry around, and Harry gaped at the sight before him. The Burrow was totally obscured behind a total whiteout...they might have been in the Alps during a blizzard. He goggled for a moment and then he spun back to look at the little pond that they were standing in front of. There was mist, yeah, but it drifted in little wispy tendrils just above the surface of the water, and the reeds and trees and the rest of the landscape were easily visible.

"Wow!" When you do a job, you don't do it by half measures, do you?" Harry looked at Severus in wonder and Severus didn't know whether to be amused or annoyed at his son's total incredulity. Harry had now been a part of the wizarding world for five years and he still acted like Albus Dumbledore being confronted by a box of Honeyduke's finest selection when he was confronted by advanced magic.

"Don't you think they might be a little suspicious when they look out the window?" asked Harry.

"No doubt. But they'll just think that I've been berating you in my usual Gryffindor-prejudiced, Harry Potter hating manner and that I don't want them to see."

Harry grimaced and nodded once. "Good thinking,"

"I thought so. Your job is to convince them that that is exactly what I've been doing."

Harry sighed. "I'll try."

Severus suddenly looked his usual snarky, Slytherin self. "No! You will succeed. You've had plenty of practice hating me. Enlarge upon that theme."

Harry sighed again, but nodded resignedly. "I'll just have to employ some of that Slytherin cunning that the sorting hat thought I had."

Severus raised both eyebrows in surprise. "What are you talking about?"

Harry suddenly looked like he had had an epiphany. "You're the reason why!" he said excitedly.

"I'm the reason why what?"

"When I was sorted, the hat seriously considered putting me in Slytherin."

Severus was shocked speechless. This was the most intense case of déjà vu he had ever experienced. He just stared at Harry for several silent seconds. The inevitable question occurred to him; how would he have treated, Harry Potter if he had been placed in Slytherin...under his control? Would things have been better or worse? Severus was honest enough to admit to himself that if he had had Harry under his eye all the time, he probably would have made his first five years at Hogwarts even more of a trial.

The thought disgusted him. What a stellar human being I am.

But then the absurdity of the situation took over from his self recrimination. "What do you mean it seriously considered?" he asked quietly

Harry reddened and looked down at his trainers and the gouge mark he had made in the soil. "I talked it out of sorting me into Slytherin."

"You talked the sorting hat out of putting you in the house where it considered you belonged?" Severus realised, that he was feeling a little peeved that Harry had been so desperate not to be put in his house. And just how ludicrous was that?

"It said I'd do well in Slytherin...it never actually said that I definitely belonged there," justified Harry.

"How much more specific did you want it to be, for Merlin's sake?"

Harry looked down again. "Professor Dumbledore said that if I wasn't meant to be in Gryffindor, then the hat would certainly not have put me there," he mumbled.

"So, it would appear that you are equal parts Gryffindor and Slytherin, but because you didn't want to be in Slytherin, Gryffindor won the prize."

"Look! Ron had just told me that there wasn't a witch or a wizard who had gone bad who wasn't from Slytherin! Did you expect me to be thrilled to be put there?" Harry was fuming now. "Plus Malfoy had already shown his stripes. He had been boasting that he would definitely be in Slytherin and he had already shown himself for what he was. Sneering at Ron because he was poor and because he was a Weasley."

Severus closed his eyes. Bloody Malfoy! The boy had been a right royal pain in the proverbial from the minute he had set foot at Hogwarts...even before then seemingly. Severus supposed he had introduced himself on the train. So bloody sure of himself and his place in the Dark Order...until he had suffered the pain of being branded. The foolish boy had thought it would all be beer and skittles. It had been a rude awakening...and worse for Nott.

Severus shook his head. He didn't want to think about Nott.

"It was a rather broad generalisation of Mr Weasley's that all bad wizards belong in Slytherin," he said tersely and automatically. But Severus knew that was the general way of things. It still amazed him to this day that the hat had listened to his own silent plea. His mother and her twin brother had been Gryffindors, as had Potters as far back as his mother could remember.

Severus sighed. "I too, got a choice when I put on the sorting hat."

Harry's mouth dropped open.

"The hat told me that I would do well in Gryffindor."

"And you chose to become a Slytherin instead?" Harry finally managed to say when his vocal cords decided to co-operate. His voice emerged as a high pitched squeak, however.

"No," said Severus tightly. "The hat had not specified another house at that time. All I knew was that I did not want to be put in the same house as my dear cousin or Sirius Black. They had just been sorted into Gryffindor. Like you and Mr Malfoy, we had already met on the train and it was not a pleasant encounter. It was the first time I had met James and the ill-feeling I felt towards him morphed into instant hatred."

Harry stared for several seconds, and then he looked away. Severus ignored the hurt he had seen in the boy's eyes. "I could have been put in Ravenclaw or Hufflepuff, but the hat chose Slytherin instead."

"Wouldn't you have preferred to be put in Ravenclaw?" asked Harry quietly. Harry knew there was no way on God's Earth that Severus Snape would have been sorted into Hufflepuff.

Severus shook his head. "I was not displeased with my placement. Unlike you, no-one had told me of the prejudice against Slytherin house before I was sorted."

Silence engulfed the pair for a minute or so. They both stared out over the placid little pond. Severus was the first to speak. "Did the hat give you a choice of Gryffindor or Slytherin?"

Harry shook his head. "Nope. It just waffled on about Slytherin and I begged, ‘not Slytherin' and then it said, ‘better be Gryffindor'. I was pleased; all of Ron's brothers were there and that was where Ron was hoping to be placed."

Severus nodded. Of course. Harry took exception to the look on Severus's face, however.

"Ron was the first person to ever actually speak more than a few sentences to me and then hang around for more. I had never, ever had a friend. Dudley threatened anyone who ever spoke to me. Kids were scared of Dudley and his gang."

"I am not condemning you for making a friend of Ronald Weasley," said Severus, and Harry nearly pinched himself to make sure he wasn't dreaming. "I'm sure that he makes a far more satisfactory and loyal friend than Draco Malfoy would ever have made. With Draco Malfoy, you remain a friend if you become a sycophant."

Harry grinned. "Yeah, sometimes I feel sorry for Crabbe and Goyle."

"Indeed," said Severus, thoughtfully. "But Messrs Crabbe and Goyle do benefit from the association. Draco Malfoy is far from stupid and his cohorts in crime have managed to stay on board the educational express, as it were, due to their more intelligent friend's assistance and a lenient grading system for them."

Harry goggled for the umpteenth time that day. "What! You're all letting them waltz through. WHY?"

"Because Harry," explained Severus patiently. "Do you think that the Dark Lord would care if his henchmen are qualified or not? Keeping those two in school, keeps them unbranded for the time being and prevents them causing mayhem in the wider world." Severus didn't consider telling Harry about Nott and Malfoy.

Suddenly a large, white shape separated from the whiteout and soared towards them to land on Harry's shoulder. Harry smiled and reached up to scratch the beautiful owl on her snowy breast. "Hey girl," he crooned. "Get sick of waiting for me?"

Severus studied the beautiful owl. He had never seen her up this close before, but he had admired her from across the Great Hall, just as the rest of the staff did. She was truly magnificent. He reached out and stroked her head. Hedwig turned her head and eyed him with regal disdain. She did not click her beak however. "I imagine that Weasley and Granger have gotten sick of waiting for you and have sent an emissary to make sure that I have not done away with you."

Harry thought he was probably right.

"I have to go anyway," Severus said.

"Why did you want to see me before you went?" asked Harry. He didn't really care why, he was just glad that they had had this short time alone. They had advanced a long way towards total accord out here in the Burrows familiar environs.

Severus gave a small huff of laughter. "I just wanted to say goodbye in private. I could scarcely bid you adieu with the ‘We Hate Severus Snape', squad in there." He jerked his head towards the house.

"Maybe they wouldn't hate you so much if you let up a little bit on Gryffindor in class." Severus raised his eyebrows. "I don't expect you to become friendly or anything; just don't put everyone down, especially Hermione who is the best at potions in our year...and you know it. And don't take points for no reason."

"You know I cannot be seen to change Harry. It's too dangerous, especially now when we know there is someone within the school just as determined to kill you as the Dark Lord is."

Harry turned away and Severus looked at the slight figure with the large owl on his shoulder. He put his hand on the other shoulder and squeezed.

"It's going to be a good year," said Harry with bitter sarcasm.

"But this year, you have a Slytherin ally, Harry." Harry looked up and offered a tight smile.

"Well, I suppose that has to be a huge advantage seem as the would be killer is in all likelihood a Slytherin. I don't think anyone from Hufflepuff or Ravenclaw hates me enough to kill me."

"Perhaps someone from your own ranks," said Severus with a upward lilt in his voice.

Harry's brows drew together. "What! A Gryffindor? Want to kill me? No way!"

"It isn't beyond the realms of possibility, Harry. Pettigrew had no qualms about handing your mother and father over to the Dark Lord after eight or nine years of supposedly close friendship."

"Nobody in Gryffindor is a follower of Voldemort!" bit out Harry. "Not now. And I have no enemies in my own house. I have no enemies within Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw either."

"You don't know that for sure." Severus sighed. "All I'm saying, Harry, is that you cannot let your guard down anywhere at school. We will discuss strategies closer to term, but you are not to be alone anywhere at Hogwarts. You don't even go to the bathroom by yourself."

Harry looked into his father's blazing eyes. He wanted to object, strongly and vociferously, but he knew it would be pointless. He bit his tongue.

"The same goes for here. Do not leave the Burrow under any circumstances. The property is heavily warded, and Bill is here to provide extra protection. He is a very competent wizard and you are to do exactly what you are told. Is that understood?"

"So, I'm under house arrest?" said a clearly annoyed Harry.

"In a word, yes. The only way you're to leave here if I am not the one to take you, is if Arthur, Molly or Bill accompany you. But in the meantime, you have your best friends and your girlfriend as housemates. Imprisonment wont be so bad, will it?"

Harry shook his head. "I suppose not." He looked up at Severus. "Can you make an excuse to drop by every now and then?" he asked, almost shyly.

Severus felt some more of the ice encasing his heart shift a little. "I think I can Slytherin my way in every now and then," he said lightly, but as he and Harry stared at each other, there was a warmth of emotion within the depth of his eyes that Harry was slowly getting used to seeing. How could he have ever thought that those black eyes were dead and expressionless.

"That'd be great...Dad." There, he had said it! He had called his father ‘Dad' when he wasn't in the midst of a emotional display as he had been earlier.

Severus swallowed past the lump that had suddenly taken up residence in his throat. The last time he had felt as if he couldn't breath because of a lump in his throat was when he had learned of Lily's death. On that occasion, he'd thought he would choke. That had also been the last time he had cried.

Insipient tears were not going to be a problem today...at least he didn't think so, but Harry looked as if he might be sick. He was still worried about being rebuffed. Severus couldn't leave him like that...and it had been easy enough before. And the owl had flown off somewhere, so...

Severus put an arm around Harry's shoulders and squeezed firmly. "As I told you before, Harry, we're in this together...for the long haul." His voice lowered to a soft, husky cadence. "And I think it will be easy to get used to hearing you call me ‘Dad'."

Harry smiled. "And I think it might be easier than I thought to get used to saying it," he said in his own slightly husky voice. And for a fleeting second, Harry rested his head against Severus's cloak draped arm before sighing contentedly and stepping back. No sense in overdoing it. But it did feel good.

He cleared his throat. "Well, I think I'd better get back inside before they send out a posse to find me."

Severus nodded and produced his wand. An intricate wave and a muttered incantation later, the thick mist had disappeared and the noise of the outdoors was restored to normal. A second later, Harry started when Severus grabbed his arm and thrust his face close to Harry's in an aggressive gesture.

"Granger and Weasley are just inside the back door. In a second, pull your arm out of my grip and stalk towards the house. And don't forget to act aggrieved over my treatment of you." Harry nodded resignedly. "And I will see you soon," added Severus, still close to Harry's face.

"Be careful," whispered Harry, and he yanked his arm out of Severus's seemingly harsh grip and turned on his heel. He didn't see Severus turn with a swirl of his cloak and stalk towards the boundary where the wards ended. But he heard the soft ‘pop' when he disapparated.

8888

 

"What the hell did he want that took so long," demanded Ron as soon as Harry's pseudo-angry stride brought him within hailing range. Hermione was looking at him with concern. "And what the hell was all that mist about."

"He was just being his usual, foul self and he didn't want witnesses," said Harry, with an off-hand shrug and what he hoped was a bitter tone. He stepped into the kitchen as Ron and Hermione moved aside to allow him entry. "Do this Potter. Don't do that Potter. When I say jump, Potter, ask how high." Harry hated what he was doing and he could feel the blush of betrayal rise in his face. He only hoped the other two would take it to be a blush of anger."

"God, he's such a git!" stormed Ron. "Just because he saved your life, he thinks he owns you!" Harry entered the lounge room and flung himself down in one of the shabby chairs. He immediately started picking the frayed, corded edge of the arm.

"Yeah, well Dumbledore has put him in charge of me," said Harry. "He's in the perfect position to keep an eye on the Slytherins when we get back to school."

Ron had perched himself on the edge of the sofa, Hermione imitating him at the other end. "Bet he loves that," growled Ron. He now has permission to torture you anywhere he feels like it. What was Dumbledore thinking?"

"He's just trying to keep Harry safe, Ron," said Hermione sensibly. "And you should be thanking Professor Snape, you know."

Ron goggled at her and Harry raised his eyebrows in surprise. "Thank Snape!" blustered Ron. "What the hell for?"

"Ron! That's enough of that kind of language," said Mrs Weasley sternly as she passed through the lounge on her way to the laundry. She had a basket of towels in her arms. The admonition seemed to be automatic because she didn't even glance at her youngest son, but offered Harry a little smile as she passed.

"Yes, Mum," said Ron, equally automatically, and as soon as she was out of earshot, he turned to Hermione.

"OK. Just tell me one reason...one, why I should be thanking Snape? What's he ever done to deserve thanks from me or any other Gryffindor?"

"He saved your best friend's life," returned Hermione simply.

Ron stared, opened his mouth to reply, shut it again and then throwing himself back against the sofa back, he crossed his arms and huffed out a sigh. "Yeah, well...I bet he only did that because Dumbledore made him," he muttered.

"I think there had to be more to it than that, Ron. From what I gather, Professor Snape worked ceaselessly all the while that Harry was practically moribund. If he had wanted Harry dead, he could have just pretended to try and find an antidote for the poison. He could have let him die from the poison's affects with no one being any the wiser, but he treated each of Harry's symptoms as they manifested whilst continuing to work to identify the poison and create an antidote."

Her voice went soft and she stared at Harry as if she couldn't get enough of the sight of him. "I don't think any of us, not even Harry realise just how close to death he truly was."

Harry looked away from Hermione's intense gaze. He was gratified that she cared so much for him. He knew he would feel as devastated as she had been if anything was to happen to either her or Ron. He wouldn't be able to stand it if anything happened to either of them...or to Ginny either.

He did know how hard Snape had worked to save him, the miracle of that being that it had been before he discovered the birthmark that had changed both their lives forever. But he didn't like to think about the attempt on his life by someone-he was sure it must be a Slytherin-within Hogwarts. That was a truly scary thought because that person was still around, probably waiting for a second chance when school started again. He could definitely see why his father didn't want him to go anywhere by himself. It was a sensible precaution, but Harry knew it was going to irk him enormously.

"Well..." said Ron into the silence that had fallen. "I concede that Snape did a good thing and that we should be grateful to him for saving Harry. But Hermione, do you honestly think he would want our thanks? He'd sneer at us and take points from Gryffindor for daring to remind him of his huge lapse in judgement."

Hermione sighed and rolled her eyes. She just had to concede that Ron was a lost cause where Snape was concerned. Harry knew he was going to get sick and tired of all the snide comments pretty damn quickly, so he would have to come up with something to keep Ron's thoughts off Snape.

"So, what else has been happening in the wizarding world?" he asked. And Ron and Hermione spent the next half an hour catching Harry up on the news that had been denied him.

After fifteen minutes, Bill joined them and he added his take on things. Bill had been out in the front yard whilst Harry and Snape had been out by the pond. Harry's head was reeling from the everything that he was told, not the least important being that Fudge had been ousted by a vote of no-confidence and that a bloke named Rufus Scrimgeour was now the Minister for Magic.

Other changes had taken place also within the Ministry, the best of them being that Mr Weasley had been promoted to a newly created position. He was in charge of the Department for the Detection and Confiscation of Counterfeit Defensive Spells and Protective Objects. Harry was really pleased because Mr Weasley had been moved to a much bigger office and he had several people working under him now. The best part of the promotion was that Mr Weasley had gotten quite a hefty pay rise. Harry was glad, as the Weasleys struggled to make ends meet and they wouldn't accept anything from him for his board and keep when he was staying with them.

Bill explained the nature of the job to Harry and why it was so necessary. The illegal trade in protective talismans and charms and potions to counter dark curses and help fend off dark wizards had sprung up over night now that it was official that Voldemort was back and on the warpath again. Unfortunately, it was the criminal element who made and sold all of the stuff, and all of it was useless and often downright dangerous. The trade had reached dangerous levels and quite a few unwary witches and wizards had already ended up in St Mungos as a result of the dangerous nature of some of the objects. Bill said one old witch had almost died from applying a dangerous body paint which was supposed to keep her permanently invisible.

Harry had goggled at the gullibility of some people and Bill had noticed his look of derision.

"Harry, you have to understand that a fair proportion of witches and wizards out in the wider wizarding world are not capable of advanced magic. Imperturbable charms are difficult to perform. Apparition is also difficult. Most witches and wizards don't bother...splinching is a very real possibility."

"Oh, great," said Ron resignedly. That means I'll never be able to apparate."

"Don't be a prat, Ron," said his oldest brother exasperatedly. "You can learn anything if you put your mind to it. You are not a weak wizard." Ron just rolled his eyes.

Bill looked back at Harry. "So you have to understand, Harry, that the fear factor now that Vol...get a grip Ron...now that Voldemort is back is off the scale. People are terrified and yes, they are gullible. Magical folk are, on the whole, superstitious and in many cases, foolishly trusting. They are easily talked into patently foolish acts."

Harry sighed. "So, the world is going to hell in a hand basket. He's out and about and causing mayhem on every front." No wonder Sn...err, his dad had wanted him to remain oblivious. There was nothing he, Harry could do, so there was no point in his knowing the worst.

Four heads spun towards the fireplace as the floo flared. Ginny's head sat in the midst of the flames. Harry grinned and scooted down onto the floor. "Hey Gin," he said happily. "Are you coming home?" Ginny's eyes lit as they found Harry, but the smile she offered was a tight-lipped little grimace.

"Hi, Harry," she said in an almost shy voice. She looked at him longingly, but then she forced her eyes away. She spotted Bill and spoke to him. "Is Mum around, Bill?"

"I'll get her," volunteered Hermione and she jumped up and left the room. Ron joined Bill in front of the fireplace and Harry, feeling more than a little peeved, pushed himself to his feet and slid back onto the chair he had just vacated, and listened to the siblings talk.

Mrs Weasley bustled into the room with Hermione behind her and Ron moved aside for his mother. "Ginny, dear? What's the matter?"

"Aunty Muriel wants to come to dinner tonight." Harry was sitting on the very edge of the chair and he was staring at his hands which were clasped between his bent knees. He sensed rather than saw Ginny's eyes swivel towards him before she looked back at her mother. "She's insisting on meeting Harry." Harry's head snapped up. Great! No wonder Ginny had seemed standoffish. She was embarrassed.

"Oh, she does, does she?" bit out Mrs Weasley.

"I most certainly do, Molly Weasley" said a quavery but stridently bossy voice from behind Ginny. Harry saw that Ginny was now kneeling before a backdrop of garish pink robes, that clashed ridiculously with her bright head and its muffler of green flames "I am not getting down on my hands and knees to argue the point with you, Missy," continued the disembodied voice and Harry could see Mrs Weasley was shaking with fury.

"I am just doing you the courtesy of letting you know that I'm coming. And I refuse to travel by floo. You will send one of your boys here so that I can side-along with him."

"It's not convenient for you to come tonight, Muriel," gritted Mrs Weasley but for all the notice the old woman took, Molly might just as well have been talking to the empty grate.

Muriel's final words were, "When someone comes for me, I'll send Ginevra home through the floo." Then the connection was broken. Harry's last sight of Ginny was her looking at him in an agony of embarrassment.

"That bloody woman," growled Mrs Weasley as Bill helped her to her feet. "How dare she lay down the law! How dare she hold my daughter hostage! How dare she demand to come to our home to gawk at Harry as if he was a...a..." words failed her. She was pacing back and forth on the hearth rug and her face was as red as Ron's usually got when he was in a towering rage.

"Calm down, Mum," ordered Bill, leading his mother to a chair and forcing her into it. "You'll burst into flames in a minute." He crossed to a cabinet that housed some liquor and poured his mother a measure of fire whisky.

"I hate fire whisky, Bill," she bit out, but Bill forced her to drink it.

"You need to calm down Mum," Bill ordered his coughing and spluttering mother. "I'll contact Dad and he can swing by Muriel's on his way home."

"And I'll help you with dinner, Mrs Weasley," said Hermione placatingly.

"Yeah, me too," said Harry.

Mrs Weasley's bottom lip quivered ever so slightly as she looked from Hermione to Harry. "I'm so sorry, dears," she said. "You shouldn't have to put up with this horrible old witch. She's Arthur's aunt by marriage," she explained to Harry.

"I know," said Harry quickly. "Ron told me before when I asked where Ginny was."

"You should never have pandered to her by sending Ginny," admonished Bill. "Now Muriel thinks she can get whatever she demands."

"Dad never cared about the money," pointed out Ron, joining the fray. "Why should you?"

"You stay out of it, Ron," said Bill.

"I was trying to ensure that your father gets what he's entitled to," screeched Mrs Weasley over the top of Bill, her face almost purple now.

Harry and Hermione looked at each other, and by common consent, they thought it best to leave the family to it. They left them still arguing-Ron telling Bill that he had as much right to put in his two bob's worth as Bill did-and they hurried out into the yard and away from the house. Harry thought they could use his dad's muffling charm now because they could still hear Mrs Weasley's piercing shrieks and Bill and Ron's deeper, angry voices.

They both threw themselves down under the huge old oak tree and tried to shut out the argument in the house by talking about what they had been up to since the last time they had met. Hermione wanted an account of Harry's flight to Godric's Hollow and so Harry told her the bare bones of what had happened. Answering Hermione kept his mind off Ginny and her strange behaviour.

But Hermione was a little too interested in finding out why Harry had fled Privet Drive in the first place. Ron and Ginny had just accepted that Harry had argued with Snape, but Hermione wanted more details. Harry tried to prevaricate, but she held on like a terrier until Harry got really tetchy and said that he didn't want to talk about it anymore.

Luckily Ron showed up at that time and after telling them that Bill had told him to get lost so that he could calm their mum down, the talk had centred on Muriel and what an old harridan she was. But every now and then, Harry felt Hermione's eyes on him and he knew she wasn't finished prising information out of him.

Hermione was going to be a real problem. She saw far more than Ron and she intuited the rest. Harry wished Hogwarts offered a course in method acting because he didn't think that he had any of his new father's talent for acting a part.

To be continued...
End Notes:
I hope you all enjoy.

Come on guys...could i have some more reviews? I know I'm greedy, but I look at other stories on P&S and so many of them get so many more reviews than ASD. Even if you don't like it, let me know. Nicely, of course.

Big thanks to those of you who did take that extra few minutes to let me know your thoughts

LesleY


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1478