A Shocking Discovery by wrappedinharry
Summary: A near tragedy and a shocking discovery lead two bitter enemies to much soul searching and eventual acceptance of each other. Much angst along the way though. Some Ginny and Harry.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dudley, Dumbledore, Ginny, Hermione, McGonagall, Petunia, Remus, Ron, Tonks, Voldemort
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Drama, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Alcohol Use, Character Death, Profanity, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 43 Completed: No Word count: 339022 Read: 205274 Published: 14 Jan 2008 Updated: 01 Aug 2010
Chapter 38: Fatherhood is Overrated. by wrappedinharry
Author's Notes:
Severus considers how much easier life was when he despised the Boy Who Lives.

Before: We left Harry in Dumbledore's office directing Dobby to supervise Kreacher at Hogwarts as Kreacher now belongs to Harry and is pretty hostile. Harry and Remus have both benefitted from Sirius's will and a trip to Diagon Alley as necessary.

Severus paced backwards and forwards across Dumbledore's office floor. Albus ignored him, blocking out the flourish of black robes at every sharp turn; he was composing another politely worded denial for the oft repeated request from the new Minister for Magic. Over the last sixteen days, Albus had watched with some amusement, the eroding of his potion master's carefully crafted aloofness and isolationism. 

Remus, who was also present, was not as adept at keeping his amusement at bay. As he placed his empty teacup on the desk, the grin he had managed to hide by keeping his mouth occupied with the cup and its contents, blossomed despite his best efforts. Unfortunately, during one of his clipped, military about-faces, Severus spied Remus's ‘smirk', and the worry lines adorning his forehead immediately smoothed out while the rest of his face fell into its usual expression of disdain and discontent.

"You find something amusing, Lupin?"

Remus, too late, clamped his lips together but was unable to entirely hide his mirth; his tawny eyes positively sparkled with humour. He shook his head.

"No, Severus, can't say that I do."

Severus glared, and Remus, biting his tongue in an effort to maintain his sober demeanour, stood and crossed the room to the window in front of which Severus had been doing his best to wear a track in the floor. Remus leaned a shoulder on the wall to the side of the window and gazed down into the grounds.

The Quidditch pitch in the distance sported a solitary figure flying high above the stands, a lanky frame and wind-tossed red hair making identification of Ron Weasley, easy. Closer to the castle, Hermione Granger cut a solitary figure as she walked towards the castle, but Remus was ready to bet that she was perfectly happy with her own company because her bushy brown hair was the only part of her head visible around the edges of a large book. Behind her, a young boy and girl slowly wended their way towards the castle, their arms around each other's waists, his broom slung over his shoulder and his head bent, apparently to catch what the girl was saying. He threw back his head and laughed as a strong gust of wind caught the girl's bright hair and blew it across his face. Remus smiled.

"Harry looks happy," he said. "So does Ginny." Remus kept his eyes on the scene but he knew that Severus had joined him at the window.

"They suit each other," Remus added. Glancing to the side, he could see Severus's face set into an expressionless mask. He knew that Severus was thinking the same thing that he was...that from a distance, Harry and Ginny bore a distinct resemblance to James and Lily. The lowering sun had turned Ginny's magnificent hair into a fiery aureole, just as it had once done Lily's.

Hermione had disappeared from view in the shadows of the castle and the lone flyer was now weaving his way casually across the grounds in the direction of the castle. Ron was still a good way back when Harry dropped his broom and turned to gather Ginny into his arms. She stood on tiptoe and wound her arms around his neck and Harry drew her close, wrapping his arms tightly around her slender body.

Severus and Remus could not seem to drag their eyes away as Harry and Ginny kissed with unrestrained fervour. It wasn't until Harry's hands covered Ginny's denim clad buttocks and pulled her into close contact with his lower body that both men decided that their unintentioned spying was now bordering on voyeurism.

When they turned simultaneously from the view, it was to find Albus standing just behind them, rocking on his toes, his hands clasped behind his back and his blue eyes unashamedly taking in the show. Severus cast him a dark glare. "Sunsets are a passion of yours, aren't they, Albus?" he asked in an acerbic tone.

Albus's eyes remained locked on the young couple below the window for another second or two before he turned his smiling and oddly contented visage upon Severus and Remus. "Undoubtedly one of God's more beautiful creations, my boy, yes indeed. But young lovers, in the first flush of an innocent passion, is another of His greatest works.

Severus rolled his eyes and crossed to the desk to throw himself into the chair Remus had recently vacated. "I wonder just how innocent it is," he bit out harshly. "Just how loving have the young lovers become?"

"Severus," said Dumbledore crossing to a diamond-paned, lead glass cabinet and removing a bottle of single malt whisky and three squat tumblers. "Young lovers will ultimately suit themselves."

"They are too young to be suiting themselves," said Severus through clenched teeth. He watched Albus fill the glasses and took the one handed to him, taking a hasty, much appreciated gulp.

"And I find your attitude to teenage sex rather alarming considering there have been so many of them under your protection over the years."

"You make it sound as if I run a brothel, my boy. I do not condone casual sex, as you well know from the punishments that I allow my staff to mete out when they become aware of any true impropriety.

"But nor am I foolish enough, despite my advanced years, to imagine that young people in love, and indeed, those who only pretend to be in love, will not find a way to be together. It is the nature of the human beast."

"Yes, well excuse me if I feel that fifteen and sixteen year old beasts are too young to be indulging in sex."

"Circumstance can certainly change perception, Severus," said Remus, a slight smile lifting the corners of his mouth again. He pointed at Severus with the hand that held his own glass of firewhisky. "You sound just like a worried father."

Severus glared. "When I want your opinion, Lupin, I'll ask for it."

Remus continued, undaunted. "I refuse to believe that the two months disparity in our ages makes it impossible for you to remember how very pleased you would have been to be able to get your leg over at every available opportunity when you were sixteen."

"We are not all rutting animals, Lupin, neither now, nor at the age of sixteen."

"Now, now children. Reminiscences about your sexual exploits, past or present, are not the order of the day." Albus turned his blue eyes on Severus. "If you are worried about the nature of Harry and Ginevra's relationship, Severus, I suggest you talk to your son.

"But in the meantime, perhaps you can enlighten us as to what has you so worried, because you have been out of sorts for many days now. There is more to your mood than disquiet over how far Harry and Ginevra have travelled along the path to sexual gratification."

Severus glowered for a moment, but then it seemed that the effort to maintain his ill-tempered demeanour became too difficult. He sighed deeply and slumped even further into his chair, extending his long legs straight out in front of him. He took another gulp of his drink before leaning his elbow on the arm of the chair and massaging his forehead with rigid fingers.

"I am not sure I can do this," he said. "It was so much easier when I hated him-when we hated each other."

Albus put a hand on Severus's shoulder and squeezed. "You can do it, my boy. You are doing it, and making a fine job of it, I might add. I don't think I have ever seen Harry as carefree as he has been over the last week. So you must be doing something right."

"He is too easily pleased," said Severus, gruffly. "I am not Arthur Weasley, and nor will I ever be. I am, more often than not, surly and uncommunicative. But Harry just goes about his business as if he has found the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow."

"Because he knows you are making an effort. I have told you before that Harry is not difficult to please.  You are not being ill-tempered towards him, nor being uncommunicative because you are displeased with him, after all."

Severus looked at Albus, guilt registering in the depths of his eyes. "It is not so long ago that I was worse than ill-tempered; I was wholly foul towards him because he dared exist and he looked the reincarnation of James Potter." He drained his glass. "I appreciate you trying to make me feel better Albus, but my culpability is indisputable.

"The past is the past, Severus, and you have to stop wallowing in guilt." Severus's head snapped around to Remus, who was perched on the edge of the desk. He was looking at Severus with an ‘I understand why you did what you did, but I forgive you anyway' expression. Severus did not understand why the werewolf was being so congenial; what did he think he had to gain by being his ally?

Albus took up the verbal gauntlet again. "Remus is right. Unless you can get over this guilt, your relationship with Harry will never be able to reach its full potential. Harry is not unaware of your true nature. He does not expect you to become garrulous and demonstrative overnight. Considering what the child has put up with for most of his life, it is not difficult to understand why he so delighted to reside with you.

"He knows that if he wishes to talk to you, you will not ignore him totally as his Muggle relatives always did. Your communications with Harry are not only going to consist of put downs and orders to get on with the inhuman amount of physical labour the Dursleys made the child do. And nor have you ever laid a hand on Harry. "

"If you recall, Albus, once, every time I opened my mouth to the boy, it was to put him down," growled Severus with bitter self-contempt.

"But because the way you did treat Harry in the past is a cause of shame for you now, that just goes to show how far you have come in a very short time," put in Remus quietly. "Despite your...shall we say...unfortunate tendency to project unpleasantness at every turn, you seem to be making an almighty effort for Harry's sake, to alter your previous behaviour. It seems you are determined to deny these natural instincts that have always tended you towards this ugly behaviour."

Severus glared at Remus. He wanted to ram those words back down the wretched man's throat, but because he was making an effort to ‘deny his natural instincts', he refrained from making a scathing retort and/or becoming physically violent.  If he was honest with himself, and self-honesty was something else he was endeavouring to perfect, Lupin was entirely accurate in his summation of his personality.

He was glad to have to concentrate on holding his glass still while Albus poured some more amber liquid into it.

But against Severus's will, Lupin's words had touched something deep inside him. The best friend of the late Sirius Black and James Potter did not have to try and make him feel better, but that was just what he was doing, even if the words had been unwelcome.

The werewolf had always been soft. But this time, Severus could not feel any sneering contempt for the man. Lupin cared for Harry; he wanted Harry to be happy. He knew that Harry's present happiness was caught up in the wonder of having found a father, so Lupin was going to do everything in his power to promote Harry and Severus's relationship.

Of course, Severus knew the effort was solely for Harry's sake. Why else would Lupin be so pro-Snape? Certainly not because there was anything akin to friendship between himself and his old schoolyard enemy.

If the tables had been reversed and Lupin had been found to be Harry's father, Severus was sure that he would have put in a great deal of effort to try to undermine the fledgling relationship between the werewolf and The Boy Who Lived.

The knowledge gave him no pleasure.

Severus remembered the werewolf's efforts to save Harry from the Dementors in the graveyard at Godric's Hollow. There was absolutely no doubt that the friend of James and Lily would do anything for Harry, not even stopping short of sacrificing his own life. Severus could not forget that near sacrifice and because of this, more than anything else, Severus found that he was tolerating the other man's presence far more readily these days.

Being the only adult residents of the castle at this time, besides Albus and Minerva, Severus had found himself thrust into the werewolf's company much more than he had been at anytime since Lupin had taught here two years ago. This state of affairs was mainly at Harry's instigation, but Severus, in his new mindset of self-honesty, could not deny that the man was undemanding company. He did not force Severus into conversation; he left it up to Severus to join in with whatever he and Harry were doing at any given time.

Severus was not surprised by the fact that Lupin was erudite and self-deprecating, was a good listener and had a very dry sense of humour. He had never been around his schoolyard contemporary long enough to discover these things when they had both been students here, but against his will, Severus had noted these attributes two years ago, despite his outward aloofness and disinterest.

Lately, he had found another thing that he could appreciate about Lupin. Severus was not one to indulge in idle occupations; the most idle he ever appeared was when he was reading; but as his reading tastes most frequently ran to educational and informational tomes and magazines, it was a false impression.

But Severus did have one occupation that was purely for enjoyment and relaxation, and he had discovered that Lupin also shared his passion. Both of them loved Muggle chess.

Lupin and Harry indulged in many a noisy and robust session of exploding snap or gobstones, and occasionally wizard chess. Harry often went to Lupin's quarters and left Severus in peace to either read or brew, but occasionally, Lupin invaded his dungeon quarters to socialize with Harry. Severus tolerated his presence for Harry's sake, or so he had continued to convince himself. 

One evening, on the way back from the hospital wing where he had been restocking potions, Severus had stopped off at Lupin's rooms to escort Harry back to the dungeons. He had to wait a while as his son and his old enemy were in the middle of a smash-up derby, masquerading as a game of wizard chess! Severus's foot actually came down on a piece of pottery that turned out to be a horse's head from one of the white knights. The magically-enchanted piece of pottery had whinnied its distress and Severus had rolled his eyes before picking it up and placing it on the table with the other broken pieces.

Lupin had offered a glass of single malt to Severus, much to Severus's surprise; he had thought Lupin's tastes wouldn't extend past the rough wizard's brew of firewhisky.

While the game was being brought to its violent conclusion, Severus had unabashedly wandered around Lupin's sitting room, stopping at a small, but well stocked bookcase to check out the titles. Severus had found many books pertaining to the Dark Arts and the defence thereof, and several on charms and transfiguration. There had even been two potions texts and a rune dictionary amongst the collection, as well as about a dozen well-thumbed Muggle novels. His interest piqued, Severus had studied the novels more closely; as well as a couple of works by well known wizard authors, the books included the works of Edgar Allan Poe, Jules Verne and Agatha Christie. The most modern-day author Lupin had on his shelf was Stephen King.

Severus had wanted to be able to disparage Lupin's reading tastes, but in truth, he had read all of the authors on the werewolf's shelves himself. He had continued his amble, tuning into Harry's delighted laughter when one of his bishops annihilated Lupin's second knight. Then he had spotted something even more incongruous than Lupin's reading material and his single malt whisky, and he had stopped short near a small, spindle-legged table partially hidden by Lupin's angled chair, well out of the way of the flying pieces of pottery.

On the table was a handsome Muggle chess set. Severus had moved closer to inspect the beautifully crafted pieces; the black appeared to be carved from ebony and the white from ivory. The kings and queens were Hindu Gods and Goddesses, the rooks were minarets, the bishops, crouching tigers, the knights, rearing elephants and the pawns were cross-legged snake charmers. The board was a tiered wooden affair, about two inches high, the angled sides beautifully carved with curlicues, and the four corners each sported a rearing hooded cobra.  The grain of the highly polished woods which made up the light and dark squares ran at right angles to each other.

Severus had immediately fallen in love with the set and he had not even been able to pretend disinterest when Lupin, having been trounced soundly by Harry who was packing the newly repaired pieces of the wizards chess set away, had noticed his interest.

It transpired that Lupin did not just keep the magnificent set for decorative purposes; he played Muggle chess. Like Severus, Lupin found the boisterous, noisy wizard version of the game far from enjoyable, with the disruptive pieces shouting instructions to the players and mutinying when a move was made that they did not agree with. Not to mention, the regular violence that ensued whenever a piece was defeated.

Severus occasionally steeled himself to play Muggle chess with Albus, but he did not find continual defeat at the hands of a master a very uplifting experience. Albus was as formidably brilliant at chess as he was at everything he tackled. It was far too demoralising an experience for Severus to want to put himself in harm's way more than strictly necessary and he only succumbed to Albus's entreaties when unable to think of a satisfactory excuse to decline.

Since the recent discovery of their mutual love of the game, Severus had twice consented to take up Lupin's challenge. He had been secretly delighted to discover that they were equally skilled and the two games they had so far played had been enjoyably competitive. They had won one game apiece.

It was becoming more and more difficult for Severus to continue to be his usual unpleasant self around the other man. Lupin had not overstayed his welcome once if he was in the dungeons and he certainly did not force his company upon Severus. In fact, he was away from the castle as often as he was in; Severus presumed that the company of one Nymphadora Tonks was too enticing to pass up for the much less stimulating company of a teenage boy-no  matter how much Lupin enjoyed having Harry around-and the dubious pleasure of his own company, especially when Lupin had to make all of the overtures.

"So, Severus, your self-recriminations and disquiet about your ability to perform as a father notwithstanding, I presume that this latest attack of anxiety is due to the proposed trip to Diagon Alley tomorrow?"

Severus's reflections were cut off at the sound of Dumbledore's voice and he shook himself out of his reverie, glowering at the old wizard. They were back to it. Yes, he was worried about the trip to Diagon Alley. He couldn't believe that he had allowed his thoughts to wander, particularly to the werewolf and how much they had been thrown into each other's company of late. And chess...what was he thinking? He shot a basilisk's glare at Lupin for good measure as he surged to his feet.

"Yes, I'm bloody worried about the trip to Diagon Alley," he bit out through clenched teeth. "I can't believe that you are taking the proposed outing so lightly, old man."

"You know that you cannot keep Harry under lock and key either here, or at the Burrow forever, Severus..."

Severus's apprehension overflowed. He banged his hand down-hard-on the desk top, causing Albus's crystal writing set to tinkle merrily, and Fawkes to squawk in protest. The phoenix ruffled his feathers and spread his magnificent wings to show his displeasure and when he settled again, he looked a third as big as normal because his feathers had not settled back to their normal crimson and gold smoothness.

"I know I cannot lock him up for ever, Albus, but it is I, do not forget, who has been in the presence of the foul, murderous psychopath who wishes to kill my son! I know how determined he is to get Harry in his clutches. And he has plenty of willing servants who are always on the lookout. They will be expecting the boy to appear in Diagon Alley.

"And to turn the bloody trip into a bloody gathering of Gryffindors by organising to meet the Weasleys and Miss Granger..." Severus ran a hand roughly through his hair as he strode up and down in front of the desk. "Why I ever let you talk me into such a foolhardy venture, I will never know."

Albus watched the agitated display from his position beside Remus's chair. He felt like smiling, but was very careful not to do so. Oh, he was not making light of tomorrow's excursion, nor the danger that it could well present, but every time Severus referred to Harry as ‘my son', it lifted the old man's heart.

"Severus, sit down, or I will have to put you in a full body-bind! You are wearing a path in my very valuable and very old Aubusson rug."

Severus stared at Dumbledore as if he could not believe what he was hearing...or rather, what he wasn't hearing. "Have you been listening to what I have been saying, or is your concern all for your bloody rug?"

"We have been over the plan, ad infinitum, my boy. And, you were happy with the arrangements," said Albus, patiently. He moved behind his desk and sat down. "I do not know what more we can do to set your mind at rest."

Severus threw himself back into the chair he had vacated, his face set in lines of discontent. He slumped back, one long leg stretched out in front of him, the other knee bent. He planted his elbows on the chair-arms and massaged his forehead with stiff fingers in an effort to ward off the incipient headache he knew was coming.

"If we could Apparate directly into Gringotts, settle this business with the bequest and then Apparate straight back here...that would make me happy," said Severus with feigned calmness.

"You know that is impossible."

"Yes, Albus, I do know." 

"Harry will not be happy if you change the plans now," put in Remus. He had wisely kept quiet for the last several minutes and allowed Severus to vent.

"Thank you Lupin. You can always be relied upon to state the obvious," drawled Severus from beneath his hands.

"I am sure that nothing is going to go awry, Severus," said Albus, the voice of reason. "Apart from the direct protection of the more than half dozen adults-all extremely capable witches and wizards, I might add-who will be close to the children, I have requested of Rufus that he has a sizeable number of Aurors stationed along the street. Any Death Eater who dares to show his face in the midst of all of that would be a very foolhardy Death Eater indeed."

Severus stopped massaging his forehead and lowered his hands to intertwine his fingers beneath his nose so that his mouth was covered. His black eyes bore into Dumbledore. "You are perhaps forgetting Draco Malfoy and Theodore Nott."

Albus shook his white head. "I am not forgetting Voldemort's newest recruits, my boy. But this trip to Diagon Alley has not been advertised far and wide, and there is no need to assume that Messrs Malfoy and Nott will even be in the vicinity. Besides, there is nothing either boy would be able to do. Even without the adult protection, I am sure that Harry, Ron, Hermione and Ginevra are quite capable of looking after themselves against their contemporaries, if push came to shove.

"Do not forget that even these boys, branded as they are, still have to abide by the rules governing underage sorcery. And Mr Nott will not have another poison about his person on the off-chance that he will come across Harry Potter. And he knows now, beyond a shadow of a doubt, and to his great and tragic cost, that Voldemort insists on being the one to kill Harry.

Remus looked grim and what could be seen of Severus's face above his hands had paled, and the look in his eyes was bleak.

"As there will be so much adult protection around our young Gryffindors, all these junior Death Eaters will be able to do is taunt and jibe...if they are game to so."

"Speaking of the junior additions to the ranks of Voldemort's followers," said Remus, "just how are Malfoy and Nott going to be able to get past the wards protecting the castle when school resumes, with the Dark Mark adorning their forearms?" He leaned forward, resting his elbows on his thighs, his focus all on Dumbledore.

Albus sighed. "I am afraid that the wards do not recognise that underage wizards could be a lethal danger to anyone within the castle," replied Albus, clearly displeased with this glaring defect. "I have tried, on many an occasion, to correct this flaw, but the castle is more powerful than I in this. Hogwarts has certain protections in-built within its very foundations...its very core as it were, and the one where this flaw is present...well, I admit that I cannot counter it."

Remus looked puzzled. "But how do you know of these ancient protections?" he asked. "The walls cannot talk, after all, and when the founders built the castle, there were no Death Eaters."

Dumbledore chuckled. "Sometimes, I think the walls can talk, my boy. But there is much more tangible evidence. There are magical blueprints of the castle and everything that went into her construction. These ancient documents are well protected and only the school's current headmaster can access them. They are only able to be accessed once a head takes up occupancy of this office. "And, if there are visitors within the office, the plans will remain invisible, even if I wish to view them."

Dumbledore smiled and looked apologetic. "So I am afraid that I cannot show you this tangible proof, Remus.

Remus huffed out a little laugh of amazement. Dumbledore smiled grimly. "The castle is very protective of its secrets, my boy. This castle is so much more than just its physical entity.

Remus shook his head. "So, Messrs Malfoy and Nott would not be able to kill Harry, nor anyone else within the castle," he concluded.

"Not with magic, no," said Albus. "But there is still the very real danger of accidental injury; these boys will still need careful watching.

"Students have been nearly killing each other for centuries, brandishing their wands foolishly and with malicious, but not murderous intent, against purported enemies. We all know the outcome of many hexes and even jinxes can lead to nasty consequences that may require hospitalisation. And, as we have all too recently witnessed, poisonous potions can be brewed and administered, but because it is not a direct attack against another, the wards do not recognise it as a murderous act.

"The curse that I am sure the wards would negate if a student were even capable of performing it, is the Killing Curse...there is no ambiguity there; if an underage wizard could perform that spell, it would be for the purposes of murdering someone.

"But the danger with spell-work laced with malicious intent, is not the consequence of the actual hex or curse, but the collateral damage of being knocked into a brick wall or down a flight of stairs. That could, if one was unfortunate enough, lead to death."

Albus leaned forward over his desk, clasping his hands on the desk top. "But we must keep in mind of course that we are not supposed to know that these two boys have been branded. That information is not something that Severus has been instructed to make known. Only the members of the Order know this, Remus. The boys must be treated exactly as you would treat any other student.  You must not hint in any way that you know of their promotion to the ranks of evil. Severus's safety is dependent upon our discretion.   

Remus nodded thoughtfully. "So, Malfoy and Nott's Dark Marks will be negated because the boys are underage and the wards do not perceive them as being lethally dangerous. But the wards do make it exceedingly difficult for adults with lethal intent to enter Hogwarts and you have added other protection to repel any who bear the Dark Mark."

"Yes, my boy. The Dark Mark is a relatively modern emblem-I always thought it rather foolish of Voldemort to advertise so clearly just who his minions are-and it was my place, as the protector of the inhabitants of this castle to add these extra wards. Luckily it was within my power to produce effective protection."

‘I doubt that any but you could have been come up with anything as effective," said Remus with unexaggerated truthfulness. Dumbledore smiled slightly and dipped his head in acknowledgement of the compliment.

But Remus still looked pensive, and Albus raised his eyebrows to indicate that he should continue speaking if he had other queries. Severus still sat slumped in his chair; his eyes had a far-away look in them and it seemed as if he had not heard any of the current conversation.

‘W-ell, "said Remus slowly, "I wonder how it was that Barty Crouch Junior could enter the school, and be here for nearly the whole school year, when his intent was evil. And Lucius Malfoy was a school governor and he could come and go as he pleased." Remus looked as though he thought he might be insulting the old mage with his doubts, but Dumbledore looked perfectly unperturbed.

"Severus and I had a similar conversation not so terribly long ago. Your queries are perfectly valid, Remus. Just as the founders protections have faults, my added protections against Death Eaters are not as perfect as I had hoped they would be either. It is my belief that Lucius could come and go as he pleased because he never intended any harm to a student. Neither did Barty Crouch. In fact, Barty went out of his way to protect Harry while he was here, so that he could be delivered whole and well into the hands of Voldemort. And Lucius had even renounced his master after his fall.

"Also, it is my belief that the brands on the arms of any who had been so marked had faded almost to invisibility, and as Voldemort was supposed to be finished, the wards did not recognise any danger. By the time the marks had started to become clearer, Crouch was already a trusted member of my staff."

Remus shifted in his chair, looking uncomfortable. He cast a furtive look in Severus's direction. Severus's eyes were now closed and without moving anything but his lips, he spoke into the sudden silence, his tone its disparaging best. "Don't stop now, Lupin. You're on a roll...your knowledge almost complete."

"Severus..."

"Go ahead...ask..."

"Severus, I do not think for a second..."

"Ask why I, branded as I am by the Dark Lord, can be within Hogwarts when the wards are supposed to keep me out."

"The wards would keep you out if you were a true servant of the Dark Lord, I know that. I do not for an instant think that the wards do not work," said Remus emphatically.

"Well, you are quite right, my boy," said Dumbledore. "The wards are not at fault; I pride myself on my ability to construct adequate protection. The only things I would change are the ones I have already outlined to you. But the question as to why Severus, an adult wizard with a Dark Mark, can be in this castle now that Voldemort has been restored to his body and is again active, is very simple.

"The wards recognise him as being loyal to me, and me alone."

"That is just what I thought," said Remus.

"And yet, you still felt the need to ask," said Severus calmly as he pushed himself to his feet and moved towards the door.

"I like to verify the facts, from the source, as it were."

"Commendable, I'm sure," drawled Severus. He turned back to face the other two, his hand on the heavy brass door-handle "Now, if you gentlemen will excuse me, I will see Harry's visitors get home safely."

"I will reopen the Floo connection in the Great Hall," said Albus, standing to cross to his own fireplace.

"We reconvene here at ten AM tomorrow...correct?" asked Severus.

Dumbledore dipped his head in acknowledgement and Severus opened the door, his robes sweeping through the gap after the man had disappeared.

8888

When Severus appeared at the open double doors of the Great Hall, he found the four Gryffindors variously occupied. Granger still had her head stuck in the book she had been reading earlier, Ronald Weasley was lying flat on his back on the bench on the opposite side to where Granger was sitting at the Gryffindor table, staring up at the clouds scudding across the enchanted ceiling. Harry and his ladylove were sitting side-on, facing each other upon the raised platform, leaning forward with their hands clasped and their foreheads touching.

As he watched, they began snogging and Severus rolled his eyes in exasperation. He moved into the hall, making as much noise as he could with his booted heels on the flagstone floor. Granger looked up from her book and the dunderhead nearly fell off the bench trying to sit up. But Harry and Ginevra remained oblivious; all of their other senses seemed to have been abandoned to accommodate their libidos.

It wasn't until Severus was almost close enough to pull them apart by the scruffs of their young necks that Harry and Ginny did become aware of his presence. They jumped apart, colour invading both their faces, their eyes wide and their lips red and slightly swollen as they stared up at Severus's severe expression.

Harry was taken aback; it had been more than a week since he had seen that look on Snape's face. He sensed Ginny fiddling with her hair and trying to do up the top two buttons on her green knit shirt.

"Hi," said Harry, his voice slightly croaky, and a weak grin making a valiant attempt to bloom. Neither the smile, nor the passion-drugged voice impressed Severus.

"Haven't I already spoken to you two about indulging in this sort of intimacy in a public place," he said in a deadly voice.

Both kids looked mortified, but his embarrassment did not stop Harry also looking angry; his lips tightened into a thin line-very reminiscent of Severus if he only but knew-and his brows drew together. When he saw Ginny scramble off the platform to sidle past Snape, he too stood. He glared up at his father, but before he could open his mouth to protest the unfairness of Severus's words, Severus turned away and walked towards the cavernous fireplace, beckoning the two Weasleys and Hermione to follow him.

"You are going back to the Burrow, is that correct, Miss Granger?"

‘Yes, sir." Hermione's voice was tentative; she wasn't going to help precipitate an explosion, not when it already seemed imminent.

"Very well...Miss Granger, Miss Weasley, you can go together." Severus pointed his wand at the grate and gentle flames appeared. He took a small box out of a pocket in his robes and threw a pinch of Floo powder into the flames which immediately flared and turned green before settling back to a gentle burn. He stood back and the two girls stepped forward with alacrity, into the pleasant warmth. They didn't want to be around this all too familiar incarnation of their Potions professor for longer than necessary.

Ginny looked past Severus at Harry who was standing beside Ron with his arms crossed, a scowl on his face. She threw a tiny smile at him and half raised her arm to wave. Harry abandoned his pique for a moment to smile back. "I'll see you tomorrow," he said. "See you, Hermione."

Hermione smiled weakly, hugged her book to her chest and called out, "The Burrow." The flames roared higher and the girls were whisked away.

"Mr Weasley," said Severus.

Ron looked undecided. He shuffled from one foot to the other and held his broom out. He seemed to dig deep to produce some courage. "Err...Sir...could you please shrink my broom so it doesn't get damaged?"

Severus held out his hand imperiously and Ron swallowed nervously as he stepped forward to pass the Cleansweep over. Severus performed the spell and handed the shrunken item back to its owner. Fifteen seconds later, Ron had also disappeared through the Floo and Severus had extinguished the magical flames.

When he turned away from the fireplace, Harry was marching rapidly across the flagstones, his back rigid with anger. Severus knew if he called the boy back, Harry would ignore him. Severus sighed, already regretting his show of bad temper. He set off in Harry's wake, his pace much slower, his thoughts bleak. Perhaps it would be prudent to give the boy an opportunity to calm down.

Severus knew why he had been so foul, of course. His anxiety over the next day's excursion to Diagon Alley had his nerves stretched taut and his temper in hair-trigger mode. But he did not want to indicate to Harry in any way that he was so worried, because he knew that would only make Harry anxious. Harry knew his capture was foremost in the Dark Lord's mind...he did not need to know exactly how manic the man was these days.

When Severus reached his rooms, Harry was not prostrate on the sofa as he was want to be whenever he relaxed in the sitting room. The boy was obviously determined to avoid his company for as long as possible; Severus could hear the gentle gurgle of water rushing through the pipes, indicating that Harry had thrown himself into the shower. Perhaps he felt he needed a wash after his activity on the Quidditch pitch, but it was more likely that he needed to cool down before he came face to face with his father.

Severus sat down at his desk and pulled forward a thick roll of parchment. He untied the blue ribbon and unfurled the half dozen sheets, leaning back in his chair to read the lengthy epistle.

8888

 

 

At six-thirty, Harry had still not put in an appearance. Severus ordered dinner and then went and knocked on Harry's bedroom door. When there was no response, Severus did not hesitate to enter the room.

"Hey!" exclaimed Harry, springing up from where he had been lying on his bed. "I thought this was my room." Severus raised an eyebrow at the belligerent tone. "Doesn't that mean that this is my own private place?"

"Dinner will arrive very shortly," said Severus in a carefully controlled voice.

"I'm not hungry." Harry flung himself back on the bed.

"Never-the-less, you will eat."

Harry sprang back up as if he had a spring attached to his back. "I think I can decide when I eat and when I don't, thanks! I'm not a little kid."

"Then stop acting like one." Severus turned to leave the room. At the door, he stopped and spoke again without turning around. "Don't make me come and get you, Harry."

Severus was already seated, taking a sip of red wine when Harry slouched into the room and threw himself down at the table. He picked up his knife and fork and began to wolf down the chicken and ham pie, mashed potato, carrots and peas. He carefully kept his eyes averted from the man on the opposite side of the table.

Severus placed his glass down carefully and picked up his own cutlery. "Did you leave your manners out on the Quidditch pitch?" he asked in an even tone.

Harry swallowed the food in his mouth. "Maybe I did," he said tersely, still keeping his eyes on his plate of food. "Where do you think you left yours?"

Severus's eyes narrowed and even with Harry's head carefully bent over his plate, Severus could see colour stain the boy's cheeks and forehead. His frenzied shovelling of food slowed to an acceptable pace and the aggressive clatter of cutlery on china had also waned to a normal level. It was obvious that Harry was aware of his unacceptable rudeness. He did not, however apologise.

"You are pushing your luck, Harry. I am sure that you realise that I have little patience with insolence and discourtesy."

Harry did look up now. His fists were clenched tightly around his knife and fork, the ends of which were propped on the table. The redness of embarrassment still made his young face glow, but anger made those green eyes sparkle.

"But it's okay for you to treat Ginny with discourtesy?"

Severus closed his eyes and took a deep breath. He had known that Harry would take him to task for his actions; he was very protective of his little girlfriend. "I think it is inappropriate for the pair of you to be always demonstrating your, shall we say, enthusiasm for each other when others are around. You had two other friends in that room. You do not think it rude to ignore them to indulge your teenage passions?"

Harry's face had gone brick red, but he shook his head. "We had all been talking together five minutes before you stormed in," he said angrily. "And unlike you, both Ron and Hermione realise that Ginny and I are together and there will be occasions when we..." Harry paused dramatically to slam his knife and fork down so that he could draw quotation marks in the air with his middle and index fingers, "...will want to indulge our teenage passions."

Severus raised that condescending eyebrow again, but before he could speak, Harry launched into further impassioned speech. "And just because we're teenagers, doesn't mean that our feelings are any less intense than those of adults."

Severus threw an, ‘are you really that dense', look at Harry.

Harry threw his hands up. "What?"

"Do you even realise what you just said?"

Harry's brow creased as he thought back. After several seconds, he shook his head. Severus rolled his eyes and took his time taking a bite of food and chewing and swallowing it.

Harry looked his impatience and after fifteen seconds, he cried, "What did I say?"

"You are a perfectly normal, virile young man, Harry, on the cusp, shall we say, of discovering, and I have no doubt, indulging your sexuality."

"Dad!" Severus watched with smirking amusement as Harry's face turned practically the colour of beetroot.

"You are embarrassed even talking about it."

"We were kissing, for God's sake, not having sex!"

"You were so lost in your pleasurable pursuit, you were totally oblivious until I was practically on top of the pair of you. And just to clarify, one inevitably leads to the other."

"Not in the Great Hall, it doesn't," yelled Harry. "And nor has it anywhere else!" he added angrily, his face glowing again. "Just so you know...not that it's any of your business."

"Ultimately, your sex life is not my business, Harry..."

"I'm glad you realise that. Now, can we please stop talking about my sex life!" growled Harry, running an agitated hand through his hair.

"I am merely pointing out that both you and Miss Weasley are very young. You do not have to stampede to experience everything there is to experience between a man and a woman in the first five minutes of your relationship."

"It's been more than five minutes," groused Harry. "And as I already said, we're not stampeding."

"I am pleased to hear it." said Severus, softly. Then he applied himself to his meal, trying to give Harry space to overcome his embarrassment over the subject of their discussion. Or perhaps altercation might have been nearer the mark. 

Harry pressed his lips together and lowered his head. He picked up his fork and began to jab it into bits of chicken that had escaped their pastry cocoon.

"I don't think you like Ginny," he said belligerently. He slumped back in his chair while continuing to decimate his food. He huffed out a mocking laugh. "Look what I'm saying. Of course you don't like Ginny. You don't like teenagers in general and Gryffindors and Weasleys in particular."

Severus set his cutlery down and picked up his wine. "I like you, and you are two of those things," he stated with quiet intensity.

Harry looked up through his fringe. Severus was looking at him and the deep pools of his eyes were reflecting the warm depths that Harry was seeing so often these days. "And you are wrong. I do not dislike Ginevra. But, I admit, she is the only teenage Weasley I can tolerate with any sort of equanimity.

Harry grinned...he was suddenly feeling happy again. It was a feeling that he was finding he was becoming addicted to. This new contentment in his life helped block out the reality of what his future held, and the agonies past. Voldemort, Sirius, Cedric and the Dursleys were relegated to the background. These people could not hurt him or his feelings when his father was here to make him feel good about his immediate circumstances. Though the loss of Sirius, when he thought about it, was still an icicle through his heart and he quickly closed that avenue of thought off and forced himself back into bantering mode.

"How about you work on tolerating the other Weasley teenagers and the Granger girl," said Harry trying to suppress the smirk that transformed his features to those of a Snape, rather than a Potter. "They're not going to magically disappear, you know. I'm afraid that Ron, Hermione, Fred and George are here to stay!"

Severus sighed dramatically. "More's the pity." He looked severely put upon and Harry grinned. "I shall take your suggestion under advisement," he added.

To be continued...
End Notes:
It's been a long time since I updated. I hope there are some of you still interested in reading.

And though it's a cheek to ask, could you please review?


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1478