Some Good Guys Wear Black by Snapegirl
Summary: After the war with Voldemort, Severus relocates to the US as their top spymaster. He then teams up with Harry to rescue Ginny and his adopted son from a mad wizard known as the Shifter!
Categories: Snape Equal Status to Harry > Comrades Snape and Harry, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Ginny, Original Character
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Hurt/Comfort, Mystery
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Kidnapped
Takes Place: 8 - Post Hogwarts (young adult Harry)
Warnings: Character Death, Physical Punishment Spanking, Profanity, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 22 Completed: Yes Word count: 96206 Read: 79268 Published: 26 Feb 2008 Updated: 05 Mar 2008
To Grandmother's House We Go by Snapegirl
Author's Notes:
Sev helps Harry confront the demons of his past.
Then they go to the Amarottis for a farewell dinner and Sev gets an unexpected surprise.

Harry was fully recovered from his stomach flu within forty-eight hours, for which he silently thanked God and also his Potions Master, whose potions had finally conquered the blasted virus, no matter how terrible they tasted. Although the Anti-Nausea one wasn't too bad, he conceded. He needed to ask Severus for the formulas, though he knew he probably should have memorized them by now, they were useful potions to have on hand. Still, he'd always been an indifferent potions student, a fact which he was having cause to regret now.

That morning, a Tuesday according to the Director's calendar hanging on the kitchen wall, Harry was just happy he could keep down solid food at last and that Ginny was in a better mood than she had been previously. (Although that was probably due to the fact that he was no longer driving her crazy with his complaining.) He nibbled on some lightly buttered toast a very small portion of oatmeal while Severus, Gavin, and Ginny ate ham and cheese omelets and hash browns. Harry eyed Ginny's portion wistfully, but he knew better than to tempt fate by eating eggs and ham this soon after his illness. But the smell was making him drool like a dog.

Speaking of dogs . . . "Where's Scout?" Harry asked, not seeing the golden hound anywhere.

"Right by my feet," Severus answered, nudging the dog lightly with the toe of his boot. "Waiting patiently for leftovers, as usual." He'd already fed the dog his obligatory slice of ham before he'd made the omelets, so he didn't feel guilty making Scout wait for the rest of his breakfast.

"He really is an amazing animal,"Harry praised. "I never believed it when you said he could track a person through New York City, but he did it."

"That's ‘cause he's the best magehound in America," Gavin declared proudly. Scout thumped his tail in agreement.

"What do you think about getting one, Gin? Severus says Scout's sired a litter of puppies with Dr. Lockwood's dog Liberty back home. I think I'd like to have one."

Ginny smiled, glad to see her husband finally regaining his good humor. "Yes, I think a dog is a lovely idea. We'll have to talk with Robin and see if he's got one available. I always had dogs when I was growing up and I think our kids should too."

"And if your children get lost or run away, like this scamp over here," Severus jerked a thumb at Gavin, who was finishing off his glass of milk before he left for school. "The dog will be able to find them for you and bring them back home."

"Or help us track down suspects," Harry added. "Maybe we'll be able to convince the Auror Department to sanction magehounds as a part of the force."

"They've got to be trained for that, though," Severus pointed out. "It takes a year or so before the dog can be relied upon to catch criminals, so don't go counting your dragons before they're hatched. I can bring you information on training classes and tips from work, the Hunter K9 Division is always looking for new recruits and sponsors." He glanced at the clock on the wall. "Time for school, Gavin," he told his son, who groaned predictably, but then grabbed his bookbag and headed over to the fireplace for the Floo powder.

He hugged his father, who reminded him that they were going to visit his grandparents after school that day, then tossed down a pinch of powder and said, "Seaside Integrated Elemetary, Gryphon Avenue." before stepping into the green flames and vanishing.

Severus turned back to his two house guests. "I need to go to my office for the morning to wrap up the Shifter case and give a deposition to the court regarding Devlin. I should be back in three or four hours, depending on the court schedule. Then I have a few hours off, before I need to review some Hunter evaluations, and we can begin working on that problem we discussed last night, Harry."

"Sounds good to me," Harry replied, drinking a cup of mint tea slowly.

"Rest as much as possible before I come home, because these sessions can be pretty draining on you, emotionally and magically," Severus advised.

"What are you talking about?" Ginny asked, looking from one man to the other, mystified. "What problem, Harry?"

"Severus offered to give me therapy to rid me of those nightmares I keep having, you know the ones I'm talking about," her husband explained. "He said he can dreamwalk me through them, so I'll finally be free of their shadow and able to get closure. I don't want my kids to have to grow up with an emotionally screwed-up father."

"That's wonderful, Harry. See, I was right, you did need to go and see someone to help you resolve your past. And Sev knows you better than almost anyone, except me, so he can help you the most."

Harry certainly hoped so, though he knew the session was not going to be pleasant. Severus had warned him of that up front, telling him bluntly that revisiting the memories of his childhood with the Dursleys was going to hurt like hell, but he needed to confront them in order to free himself of their awful burden. And Harry knew he would trust Severus in his head more than any wizard now living, trust him to stand beside him and guide him through the quagmire of abuse without flinching, and see him safely out the other side, his sanity intact.

"I'll see you both later," the Director said, then he picked up a small briefcase and Apparated away to the DHI.

Alone at last, Harry and Ginny spent the morning reading and talking about their upcoming roles as parents and kissing and snuggling on the couch, which had been transfigured back to its original design during the day, since Harry was no longer sick.

Severus arrived home promptly at 2:30, and after instructing Ginny to make sure Gavin did his homework as soon as he got home and finished up the list of chores Snape had written out for him, the two men disappeared into Snape's study off the dining room.

Severus told Harry to have a seat on the soft leather divan opposite the desk. "I want you to be as relaxed and comfortable as possible," he instructed softly, pulling a chair up close to the younger man. "We'll do a stage four meditation first, then when I think you're totally under, I'll enter your mind and we'll go back to your earliest memory of being with the Dursleys. You might be surprised at how deep we have to go, because you've been suppressing those memories for over ten years, but time has no meaning within the confines of your mind."

"I understand."

"One other thing. You and I both know some of those memories are going to be hell to relive, but you have to face them, or else you'll never get better. You're going to want to run away, to hide, but I can't let you do that, and I'm going to be a bastard to you and force you to watch them by whatever means necessary. Try not to fight me too much, Harry, it's for your own good, after all. You're probably going to hate me, but remember I'm doing what I have to, and you're not alone, I'm right beside you. I might be dragging you kicking and screaming after me, but I'm here for you."

"You've done this before, right?" Harry asked.

"Once. On my wife Amelia. It worked, trust me." Severus reassured him. "And I had it done to me as well, by Albus before I started my undercover work as his agent." He cleared his throat. "Ready? Breathe, slowly, and close your eyes. Now count three breaths and inhale. One, two, three. Again."

Harry closed his eyes, allowing Snape's hypnotic tone to send him deep within his mind, to confront the demons of his childhood and lay them to rest for good and all.

 

* * * * * *

Three hours later, a pale and shaken Harry Potter emerged from the study, his eyes red and his stomach churning, but the specter of the Dursleys no longer haunted him. Snape had been right, he'd felt as if he'd walked through hell, but it had been worth it. He managed a wan smile at Ginny as he came into the den.

"Hey. How did it go?" she queried, eyeing him in concern. "You look awful, honey."

"I'm fine," he reassured her, then muttered, "Damn, I think I'm going to be sick," and bolted into the bathroom.

"Oh no, don't tell me that virus came back," Ginny groaned. "Severus, maybe you should have waited."

The Director shook his head, he'd been right on Harry's heels. "No, he'll be all right, Ginny. He's not sick, this is a normal reaction after what he's been through with the dreamwalk spell. It plays havoc with your equilibrium, but it'll pass after a few minutes."

"Did it work?"

"Yes. He won't be having any more nightmares, at least not about the Dursleys. That's one hurdle leaped."

"What about Voldemort?"

"We decided to save that one for another time. Just facing his childhood demons was enough for this time, believe me. I don't want to push him too hard or too fast. It's a lot to absorb at once."

"Was it very bad, Sev?"

"Bad enough. He'll tell you about it if he wants, though I wouldn't ask, Ginevra. Let him reveal it to you in his own time. It's better that way."

Ginny nodded. "I won't push him. Thank you for everything, Severus. We owe you more than we can ever repay."

Severus would have waved off her gratitude, embarrassed, but Harry said from behind him, "She's right, Director, but I still want to knock your teeth out and stomp all over you."

"Harry! What a thing to say!" Ginny cried.

Severus laughed. "I told you so. Amelia said the same thing to me afterwards. But it was worth it, wasn't it?"

"Yeah," Harry sighed. "Thanks. But I still want to punch you out."

"Come and have a cup of stress tea, Mr. Potter. It'll soothe your nerves like nothing else," Severus urged and Harry accompanied him into the kitchen, not minded to argue for once with his teacher.

 

* * * * * *

They flew over to the Amarotti residence half-an-hour later, though Severus refused to allow Gavin his Windstorm. "I said no flying and I meant it," he said when the boy started to argue. "You can come with me, and I don't want to hear anything more about it."

So Gavin flew double with Severus and wished he'd listened to Scout and left that note for his grandmother, so then he wouldn't be in so much trouble. Just before they knocked on the door, his father reminded him that he still owed Ari and Leo an apology.

"Like I could forget," Gavin muttered, heaving a sigh. For the first time ever, he dreaded seeing his grandparents.

Ari and Leo greeted Harry and Ginny with their usual enthusiastic Italian flare, which meant a hug and a kiss on both cheeks from Ari and a hearty handshake from Leo. "Go on inside the kitchen, we've got some appetizers on the table," Ari urged, her aqua eyes twinkling. "Arista and Drake are already here." The Potters quickly moved on into the kitchen, which was the family's usual gathering place to say hello to their former classmates.

That was no surprise to the Snapes, for Arista and Drake usually ate dinner over the Amarottis at least once a week if they weren't too busy. Gavin was glad Arista was here, for she wouldn't tease him too badly for his latest escapade, the way Flick would have, who was Trish's husband. He eyed his grandmother warily, feeling like a naughty puppy who'd just tracked mud all over her rugs.

Severus nudged him between the shoulderblades. "Ari, I believe my son has something he wishes to tell you."

"I should say so," Ari began, her azure eyes suddenly kindling with the Amarotti temper. "Do you have any idea how worried I was when I found you gone, Gavin Albus Snape? Your grandfather spent half the morning looking all over Point Pleasant for you, and I nearly shouted myself hoarse calling for you in the woods and asking all the birds and squirrels if they'd seen you. I thought you'd gone to the beach and drowned or fallen down and broken your leg or something. I nearly went out of my mind, young man. Why didn't you leave me a note telling me you were going to visit your friends?"

Gavin looked down at the toe of his sneaker. "I forgot."

"Oh you did, did you? I've heard that before. That's no excuse for your irresponsible behavior, child. You've got a good head on your shoulders, I expect you to use it for something other than practicing daredevil Quidditch moves. I expect this kind of thing from your cousins, not you, don't ask me why."

"I'm really sorry, Nana. I'll never be so stupid again."

"You'd better not be," she shook a finger at him. "You nearly drove me into an early grave, making me think something horrible had happened to you and then your father would have never forgiven me. And then to find out you'd gone to New York on your own, to go gallivanting with your street friends or whatever . . .I ought to give you a good swat or two for making me worry that way, boy."

Gavin backed away, bumping into Severus. "What? But Nana . . .you can't punish me, that's his job . . ." he pointed to Severus, who merely raised an eyebrow. "Tell her, Dad!"

"She's your grandmother, she has the same authority I do here in her own home."

"But that's not fair," sputtered the boy.

"And making us insane with worry is?" Leo put in, giving his grandson a stern look of disapproval. "You did wrong and you know it, now quit whining over it." Then he reached out and spun the boy around, giving him three sharp spanks and letting him go. "There. Next time tell us where you're going, or else."

"Yes, Grandpa."

"Come here, scamp," Ari held out her arms and pulled Gavin into them. "All's forgiven."

"Until the next time you misbehave," Severus sighed.

Punishment over with, they all headed into the kitchen to eat the wonderful salads and bruschetta Ari had prepared.

"I hear you had quite an adventure, little brother," Arista said, coming up and hugging Gavin.

"Yeah, you can say that again. I'll tell you all about it later, okay? And guess what, Arista? My magic finally manifested and Dad says I've got a special talent like yours."

"Really? What is it?"

"I'm a firecaller."

Drake whistled. "That's a rare ability, Gavin. I've only ever heard of one wizard in Britain with it and he died over a century ago."

"A firecaller?" Ari repeated, looking slightly alarmed. "Are you sure, Sev?"

"Positive. He's stiff with it. We'll work on his control, though, so you won't need to owrry about him burning down your house."

"We haven't had a firecaller in the family since my great great grandfather, back during the Civil War," Leo said. "He fought with General U. S. Grant and was decorated for valor as an artillery man. Though nobody really knew just what kind of artillery he was using," the earth mage said with a wink. "He was the bane of all the black magic witch doctors in Louisiana."

"Wow," his grandson said, and began to feel a bit better about his unpredictable wild talent. Used for good, he could be a valuable asset as a Dark Hunter, Gavin thought, and vowed to learn all he could from Snape about controlling it, so he wouldn't be a danger to his family or anyone else.

"So, what's for dinner?" Gavin asked Ari.

"Spaghetti and meatballs," she answered promptly.

"But before we eat, Arista and I have some good news we'd like to share with you," said Drake, clasping his wife's hand and smiling. "Arista?"

"Drake and I are expecting," she announced, her dark eyes shining. "You're going to be a grandfather, Dad."

"I am?" Severus repeated, looking shell-shocked.

"Congratulations," Ginny said, beaming. "When are you due, Arista?"

"In May, sometime around my mom's birthday, I think. It's a good omen." The Healer answered, then looked at Ginny. "And you, Mrs. Potter are due sometime in the middle of February, am I right?"

"You're good," Harry said. "How did you know that she was due around Valentines Day?"

"She's a Healer, Harry," Drake laughed. "They can always tell."

"Can you tell what the baby's going to be?" Gavin wanted to know.

"I could, but I want it to be a surprise," his sister answered. "So, how do you feel about being an uncle, kid?"

"Weird," he said, and they all laughed.

"Hey, you'd better not teach my kid any of your bad habits," warned Drake.

"I won't need to. Being your kid, he'll be born with them, Drake," Gavin smirked. "Cause we all know you and Arista were no angels."

"I was nowhere near the troublemaker you are, Gav," Arista argued.

"You're a close second, miss," Severus put in.

"Oh, be quiet, Dad. The kid's going to be spoiled beyond belief with you as his or her grandfather."

"So? That's a grandfather's prerogative," Snape shot back. "Right, Leo?"

"Exactly. We get to give them presents and all the fun stuff and leave you with the discipline and the headaches, mostly. Works like a charm."

"Does Trish know yet?" asked Ari.

"No, but she will tonight," Arista promised. "I can't wait to see her face. She thought she was going to be first."

"Huh? The first what?"Gavin asked.

"One to have a baby," Drake clarified. "Don't ask me why it matters."

"It's a woman thing, you wouldn't understand," Ginny said, and their husbands exchanged mutual glances of disbelief.

"This calls for a toast," Ari said, grinning, and she summoned a bottle of white wine with a snap of her fingers.

Leo gestured and wine glasses appeared by everyone's place, even Gavin's. The wine poured itself into each glass at another gesture and then the head of the Amarotti family lifted his glass and proclaimed, "Here's to my great-grandchild, health, long life, and happiness forever! And may the same be true for you too, Harry and Ginny. Salute!"

"Salute!" echoed all the Amarottis, Snapes, Lockwoods, and Potters.

"Is it okay if I have wine?" Ginny asked Arista worriedly.

"Don't worry, Gin. A sip won't do you any harm." Arista said. "This isn't very potent and it's only half a glass. So enjoy." Then she sipped her own, it was light and fruity and tasted like springtime and sunshine.

Gavin drank and thought about how lucky he was to be a member of a family like this. It had been a fortunate day when he'd chosen to pick the pocket of the man in black waiting on that street corner, whom he'd pegged as a sour-faced cold-hearted Scrooge. That was the best decision of my life. I learned a valuable lesson that day. People aren't always what they seem and some good guys wear black.

He lifted his glass in a silent toast to his father, his guardian angel, mentor, and the person who loved him best in all the world, even when he didn't deserve it. Life was good. And tomorrow was a new day with no mistakes in it.

The End.
End Notes:
Alls well that ends well!

Harry thanks Severus in a letter in the epilogue and the birth of the twins occurs!


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1502