Clear by Lilah73
Summary: Unexpected results, after a potions assignment, leave Severus and Harry struggling with reality. A forced stay at Grimmauld Place, that includes Draco, doesn't help matters.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama, General
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Profanity
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 9 Completed: No Word count: 23074 Read: 42519 Published: 28 Feb 2008 Updated: 16 Aug 2010
Chapter 6 by Lilah73
Author's Notes:
I am so sorry that this chapter took so long. I have been extra busy at work and home. Next chapter will be speedier. Thanks for reading!

The two older men arrived in Albus’ office to find Harry and Draco arguing again.

“I’m telling you, Potter, I refuse to live in the same township as you! If we get expelled, I’m going home.”

“Whatever,” Harry said without any real feeling. Harry smirked, knowing his nonchalance was driving Draco to distraction.

Draco was standing with his fists clenched at his sides, truly looking as though he was holding back from hitting Harry. Harry, on the other hand, looked relaxed, as if he didn’t have a care in the world, even though inside he was a bundle of nerves.

“Boys,” Albus kindly intercepted, “now is not the time to argue. We must present a united front.” Albus was much calmer than he had been when he had first flooed to Grimmauld Place to inform Severus of the Governor’s decision.

“A united front!” Draco all but screamed. “They already found us guilty! We’re here to find out our punishment. There’s no need for me to have a united anything with Harry bloody Potter!”

“Draco,” Severus’ dangerously cool voice said. “You will cease your tantrum this instant and watch your language.”

“Sorry, sir.”

Albus walked to his office door and held it open as one by one the three other occupants of the room preceded Albus down the spiral staircase. No one spoke on the short journey to the room where all of the Governor’s meetings were held. Upon reaching the door, Albus turned and stared at the three young men before him. “I know it will be difficult, but please show the Governors the same respect you would show me. Keep your heads and don’t say or do anything to add to the offences already against you.” Albus waited until he had confirmation from all three before he turned back and opened the door.

Severus hadn’t been sure what to expect. He had been to board meetings before, but never any involving the one and only Harry Potter. Just as he expected, the room was packed. Every school Governor was present, unusual at regular, ordinary meetings. There were a few reporters standing with their quills at the ready, devoted photographers standing by waiting to get the perfect picture. Severus noticed that McLaggen’s family was also in attendance and they were staring with hatred and vengeance.

Severus knew that their fates had been sealed way before this meeting took place. Too many people crammed the boardroom and it was simple to surmise that those in attendance knew something that the three defendants did not. They had been doomed all along.

The Head Governor banged his gavel on the boardroom table and everyone in the room fell silent. Severus, Harry, Draco and Albus all stood in the front of the room facing the audience. Severus laughed inside, knowing that this audience was going to get the show they were anticipating.

“If I may have everyone’s attention,” the Head Governor began to speak, “we will finish matters so that we may all get on to other things. Believe me this won’t take long. Severus Snape, Draco Malfoy and Harry Potter have been found guilty in the eyes of the school Governors. We are aware that the Ministry Aurors have found all three of you guilty of nothing criminal. However, the Governors agree that there is enough suspicion surrounding the night young Mr. Cormac McLaggen was found dead that the student body of Hogwarts is uneasy. The three of you were found next to the dying body with poison in your hands and wands drawn.”

There was a small rumbling of anger going through the crowd and the governor had to bang his gavel again. It was hard for Severus to not speak up for himself and to explain what he had been doing to McLaggen, but he knew it was pointless. The Head Governor continued to speak.

“Not only are we dealing with the suspicious death of an innocent student of this school, we are also dealing with a few individuals who are not the most upstanding wizards to begin with.”

Upon hearing this, Severus swore he heard Draco intake a sharp breath. It was fine to accuse the boy of murder, but Severus knew it was a personal affront to claim that the boy was not upstanding. It was an oxymoron if there ever was one. As for Severus, he cared very little what the school Governors thought of him and knew it was futile to argue his case. He was not about to stand up here and grovel and beg to be found worthy of acceptance. Severus had done that many years ago in the presence of Albus Dumbledore and he hoped to never repeat the experience again.

“Severus Snape, you are a known Death Eater. We have heard evidence of you repenting, but this board does not buy it. You are known to hate Harry Potter and are quite vindictive towards him and other students, even in the classroom setting. We have several witnesses on those counts. This school is a place of support and encouragement for all students. Based on the events of your past and the current mystery surrounding the death of Cormac McLaggen, this board is terminating your position at Hogwarts effective immediately. You have one hour to collect your personal belongings and vacate the property of this school.”

Harry stood stoically in front of the Governors not believing what he had just heard. Snape was fired? He knew there had been hundreds of times in his years at Hogwarts where this kind of news would have brought great joy. In fact, some of those times had occurred rather recently. Yet, Harry was smart enough to realize that this probably did not bode well for himself or Draco.

The noise volume in the room had gone up again and the Head Governor once again picked up his gavel. The room immediately quieted down, everyone waiting with baited breathe for the man to go on with the next punishment.

“Draco Malfoy, not only do we feel that you have played a role in the death of Cormac McLaggen, your own father is a confirmed Death Eater currently serving a sentence in Azkaban. One is probably not wrong in assuming that you will more than likely follow in his footstep, therefore we do not want your influence in this school. It is the opinion of the Governors that you be expelled from Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. You have one hour to collect your personal belongings and vacate the property of this school. Your mother has been contacted and informed of our decision and she should be here shortly to escort you home.”

There was a smattering of applause throughout the room, making it very clear that some people did not like the idea of a Malfoy attending Hogwarts. Harry again thought how thrilled he would have been a few weeks ago if Snape and Malfoy were both forced to leave Hogwarts. Now, though, it was clear what his punishment would be. He would soon find himself languishing away at Grimmauld Place similar to the way Sirius had. Harry also had a strong feeling that he would be sharing his living arrangements with a recently fired potions professor.

The gavel was banging away again and the room fell silent. The Head Governor paused, seeming to collect his thought and then began to speak. “Harry Potter, this board feels that your behavior earlier this year at the Ministry, endangering the lives of your fellow students, your mysterious involvement in Cormac McLaggen’s death, and your current lacking of legal guardianship leaves us with no choice but to also expel you from Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.”

There was instant talking and yelling around the room. Apparently several people in attendance did not agree that the Boy Who Lived should be expelled from school.

“Quiet, quiet everyone! Anyone who cannot contain themselves will be escorted out of the room.” The occupants of the room slowing began to quiet down, although there was still soft whispering here and there. “There is more to say on Mr. Potter’s situation. If everyone would be so kind as to allow me to say it, we can be done with this entire affair.”

Severus was somewhat surprised to see Minister Scrimgeour step forward. He hadn’t seen the man earlier, but should have known that the annoying man wouldn’t miss this meeting to save his life.

“Now, Minister Scrimgeour would like to say a few words,” the Head Governor stated, “pertaining to Mr. Potter’s punishment.”

“Oh now, Governor, I wouldn’t say it’s a punishment. The Ministry of Magic only has Mr. Potter’s best interest at heart. Now, Headmaster Dumbledore,” Scrimgeour turned to face Harry with a superior look on his face, “while it is true that Harry has not had a legal guardian since the death of his relatives, the Ministry was willing to overlook this as long as Harry was a student in good standing at Hogwarts. We were confident that under the watchful eye of a respectable Headmaster there would be no problems. The Ministry cannot ignore the current situation that has arisen due to Mr. Potter’s expulsion. Therefore, I am forced to make a very difficult decision.”

Scrimgeour paused for what appeared to be dramatic effect. The room was eerily silent and Harry could hear his own heart beat pounding away in his ears. What was the Minister up to? This couldn’t be good.

“Harry, I am happy to inform you that you are now a ward of the Ministry. This normally wouldn’t mean a great deal if you were still a student at Hogwarts. You would be allowed to remain at school with little disruption to your day to day routine. However, you are not a student of this school any longer. I simply cannot allow you to return to wherever it is you have been staying since you initially left the school after Mr. McLaggen’s death. You will come with me Harry. Immediately.”

The room erupted. Harry Potter expelled? Harry Potter with no where to live? Harry Potter under the direct control of the Ministry? The room was thrown into chaos. Harry automatically backed up a few steps, subconsciously putting more distance between the Minister and himself. Harry had not realized that he had been standing slightly in front of Snape and therefore bumped into him. Quickly turning towards his professor, he made eye contact with the older man. He knew he must look like a skitterish puppy and quickly stepped away from Snape. It was through this hazy fog that Headmaster Dumbledore’s voice came through.

“Minister Scrimgeour, surely this is not necessary. I can provide a safe place for the boy and assure that he continues with his studies.” Albus had moved to the front of the platform the four of them had been standing on and appeared to be calm and collected.

“I am sorry Albus,” Scrimgeour stated, “but it is clear the boy needs more watching then he is getting presently. He gets himself into more trouble than a Cornish Pixie. I simply must insist that he come with me. I have the law on my side where this issue is concerned.”

“What of his education, Rufus?” Albus’ voice had a tinge of desperation to it that Harry had never heard before.

“What of it, Albus? You think you can provide a better education outside of Hogwarts than the Ministry of Magic? I assure you, the boy will receive an education. I will not stand here in front of reporters and photographers discussing this, Albus. Prepare the boy to leave immediately! I will wait in the main hall.” With that said, Rufus Scrimgeour turned and left the boardroom.

Albus quickly went to Professor McGonagall's side and the two of them huddled together in quiet discussion.

Severus couldn’t believe what had just happened. This went beyond anything that they thought would have occurred. Being permanently expelled from school? Yes. Being confined to Grimmauld Place indefinitely? Yes. Being confined at Grimmauld Place indefinitely with nasty, hated potions professor? Of course. Being hauled off to the Ministry under the watchful eye of Rufus Scrimgeour and out from under the protection of Albus and the security wards at Grimmauld Place? No…it never even occurred to them! They were stupid! They never should have brought Potter to this meeting.

Severus knew he needed to quit thinking about the outcome of the hearing and start putting into place some precautions.

“Potter!” Severus turned to find the boy still looking dazed. “Potter! Snap out of it!” Severus walked to the boy and grabbed his shoulder and although this made the boy jump out of his skin, it did refocus his attention onto Severus.

“Do you have your wand?”

“Yes, of course I do.” Harry went to pull it out, but Severus stopped him.

“Do not produce your wand unless absolutely necessary. Do you hear me? The Minister will assume that you have it, but is more likely to allow you to keep it if you don’t go brandishing it about for any reason at all. Keep it hidden. If they go to confiscate it, lie and say you don’t have it.” Severus was speaking quickly, knowing his time was short. He only hoped Potter was taking everything in.

“But if they search me, they’ll find it.”

“Yes, Potter. If they search you, they will find it. That’s if they decide to search the Boy Who Lived or do an accio on your wand. Some flakes at the Ministry are likely just to take your word for it. If they find out you are lying, so what?”

“Oh.” Harry sounded hallow and Severus could only imagine how the boy must feel. What was awaiting him at the Ministry? What brainwashing and manipulation would they try on the boy?

“Here, take these.” Severus handed Harry five small vials. “Two of these are the dreamless sleep potion you’ve already been taking. It’s all I have on me at the moment. Of the other three, one is a potion for pain, the other is a blood replenisher. Use those two only if absolutely necessary. The last vial is a calming draught. Do not take it unless you suspect that you’re having another anxiety attack. Perhaps only take a sip, just enough to take the edge off. Do you understand, Potter?” Severus looked at the boy standing there holding the vials. “For Merlin’s sake, Potter, put them in your pocket before anyone sees them.”

Harry quickly did as he was told and took the time to also check and make sure his wand was completely hidden from sight. “Why do you think I need a potion for pain and a blood replenisher?” Harry asked with a small voice that Severus could hardly hear.

“Potter, the Minister may put on an innocent front before all of us, but he can be ruthless. I’m sure there will be Order members there to watch out for you, however there are others at the Ministry that cannot be trusted.” Severus noticed that his words did not soothe the boy at all. “Listen, Potter. You probably won’t need the potions, but it doesn’t hurt to have them. Just keep them hidden.” Severus didn’t know what else to say to Harry and hoped that his cautionary measures would be enough to calm the boy for what lay ahead.

The Headmaster was headed their way with Professor McGonagall following closely behind. Harry only had time to give Professor Snape a quick and quiet “thank you” before Dumbledore was leading him away with a gentle hand on his shoulder.

“Harry, if I could just have a few quick words with you.” Albus had taken him to the back of the room where Harry could see that Professor Snape and Professor McGonagall were blocking them from the other eyes in the room.

“Harry, my boy, I am so sorry this is happening. I assure you that every second you’re gone is time I’m spending trying to get you back. I will call a hearing with the Wizengamot if I must. I will also inform Order members at the Ministry to keep a close eye on you.”

“Where are they going to take me, Headmaster?”

“I’m not sure, Harry. I assume somewhere at the Ministry. There are a few living quarters there and perhaps you will be staying in one of them.” Albus kneeled down so that he had to look up slightly at Harry. “Listen to me very closely, Harry. Trust your instincts. Do as you’re told and do not try to run away, but trust your instincts. They may try to talk you around to their way of thinking or try to pry information out of you. Let them try, Harry. I don’t think they would attempt to give you Veritaserum, but one never knows. You can’t give away the location of Headquarters or its secrets, so don’t be afraid on that count. Use your good judgment. I will attempt to legally get guardianship, but my efforts will be hindered if you attempt any misbehavior or appear to be uncooperative. Can you do this, Harry?”

“Yes. I’ll just stay quiet and not draw attention to myself. But I have a bad feeling about all of this. It all seems so planned out or setup or whatever you want to call it.” Harry wrapped his hands around the vials hidden in his pocket, hanging onto them as if they were a lifeline.

“I know what you mean, Harry, but there is little we can do about it now. I want you to take this.” Albus pulled out a chain that had a smooth, purple rock hanging from it. He placed the necklace over Harry’s head. “This is a Portkey, Harry. It will take you somewhere safe if you need to use it. The password is remeo, which basically translates to mean return home. Remeo, Harry. Say it for me.”

“Remeo,” Harry responded quietly, now holding the small stone in the palm of his hand.

“Understand, Harry, that it is to be used in only the most extreme case. We want everything to appear to be on the up and up if we want the Wizengamot to even contemplate taking custody away from the Ministry. A disappearing Harry Potter will not help our case.”

“Okay, so take what they dish out unless I absolutely can’t take it. I guess, basically, if my life is in danger?”

“Yes, Harry. Again, I am so sorry this has happened. I will, of course, come to the Ministry as soon as I’m able to make sure that you are doing well. I will also bring some of your school things and some clothes with me.” Albus looked only slightly worried, as if he was trying to appear like everything would work out in order to make Harry feel better.

“But what if the Ministry won’t let you have custody? I can’t stay there!” Harry was starting to find breathing rather difficult. He didn’t want to have an anxiety attack in front of everyone still present in the boardroom. He didn’t want the Minister to find out that he had a medical condition that he had hidden from the Headmaster since that would not help their cause.

“If they tell me no, Harry, then I will take you from them. Have no doubt about that. There are places you can hide, as you know. Don’t worry. Just play along at this point and you will hear from me again real soon.” Albus gave Harry’s shoulder a supportive squeeze just as the Minister was approaching.

“Well, Harry, are you set to go? We have a long evening in front of us. I will get you all settled in and then tomorrow we will discuss what needs to happen to make sure you get a good education and stay on the straight and narrow path.” The Minister put his hand on Harry’s shoulder and started to guide him towards the door. Harry was surprised to see the Minister as he thought the older man was going to wait in the main hall for him. Harry had the funny feeling that Minister Scrimgeour had second thoughts about leaving him alone with the Headmaster for too long. Before they could get very far a voice called out to Harry.

“Hey, Potter.” Harry turned to see Draco walking his way. Great, just what he needed, Malfoy to mouth off about how happy he was to be rid of the annoying Gryffindor. Harry considered punching him in the face; surely he could now that he didn’t have to live with him anymore. Harry sighed. He couldn’t go punching anybody since he was being forced to be on his best behavior in the presence of the Minister.

“What do you want, Malfoy?”

Draco didn’t say anything, just held his hand out to Harry. Harry stood and stared at Draco’s extended hand. Malfoy wanted a handshake? Harry was baffled and didn’t quite know what to make of the situation. Wanting to keep up appearances of being a nice little boy, he reached out and grasped Draco’s hand. In the process of shaking the other boy’s hand, Harry felt a piece of folded parchment pressed into his palm. Draco slowly pulled his hand away when he was sure that Harry realized what was happening. Harry quickly placed the parchment in his pocket and proceeded to follow the Minister out of the room.

Albus approached Severus with an eerily calm façade. “Severus, I believe that potion you are working on may be our only hope.”

Severus sighed and ran his fingers through his hair in frustration. “Yes, Albus, I believe you are right. If you’ll excuse me, I have approximately fifty minutes left to collect my things and leave. I also need to have a few words with Draco before Narcissa gets here.”

“Of course, Severus. I will call an Order meeting for tonight as soon as I’m back in my office.” With that said, Albus left the room.

Severus stood for a minute pondering what to say to Draco. The boy would be safe enough at home, as long as Lucius was in Azkaban and surely the Dark Lord would not want the boy until he was of age. He would, however, need to encourage the boy to continue his studies instead of lazing about Malfoy Manor.

Suddenly, Severus’ thoughts turned to Potter. Harry had clearly been in a state of shock, truly not comprehending everything that had happened in the last several minutes. A mere twenty minutes ago Potter arrived at this meeting assuming that he would be permanently expelled from school and living back at Grimmauld Place. Now the boy was gone. The Ministry had Harry Potter in their clutches. There were people at the Ministry that Severus knew were masters at manipulation and brainwashing and he hoped that Harry could withstand anything that was thrown his way. With a heavy sigh, Severus went in search of Draco, while his mind stayed on the other boy who was no longer amongst them.

To be continued...
End Notes:
Thank you for reading!


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1504