Clear by Lilah73
Summary: Unexpected results, after a potions assignment, leave Severus and Harry struggling with reality. A forced stay at Grimmauld Place, that includes Draco, doesn't help matters.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama, General
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Profanity
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 9 Completed: No Word count: 23074 Read: 42517 Published: 28 Feb 2008 Updated: 16 Aug 2010
Chapter 9 by Lilah73
Author's Notes:
Alright, here's the deal. I'm uploading this mini-chapter so that you all know that I have not abandoned this story. Real life has taken over. Yeah, yeah, you've heard that before, right? Anyway, if you want speedy updates, that may not happen. You might want to just wait until I'm done with this story and then read it all in one go! If I ever abandon a story, I will pull it completely. I won't leave you hanging. I promise.

Professor Snape,
I was desperately needing to know how that potion experiment we were working on together was coming along.  It is rather difficult to be patient as I know you said it would take a few weeks for the brewing to be complete, but I am rather anxious to know the results.  Hopefully the outcome is enlightening and will lead us to the next stage in our experiment. 
Please give my best to the Headmaster.  I truly appreciated his gift of friendship and his promise to visit.  I’m not sure what I would do if I ever lost his support. 
Say hello to Ron and Hermione if you should see them. 
Awaiting your response,
Harry Potter

Severus slammed the letter down on top of the kitchen table.  He had just received it a short time ago and had immediately requested that Albus join him at Grimmauld Place.

“Read it, and then tell me what you make of it.”  Severus busied himself by preparing tea and quickly had a setting out for himself and Albus.


Albus read the letter through and then seemed to read it again.  He gave a big sigh and then took up his tea and began to sip.


“He is being very Slytherin in his choice of words.  Quite impressive, actually,” Albus said as he sat down his cup of tea. 


“Yes, Albus, but what is it you hear when you read it.  You know him better than I, after all.”  Severus took his seat across from the headmaster and awaited the old man’s response.


“I believe it is clear that since Harry is showing such interest in the potion you are brewing and is almost wishing for the results to be enlightening, that he has come to the same conclusion as you and I.  The only way to free him from the Ministry is to go there and claim him as your son.  You can only do that if the potion gives the results we are now hoping for.  I can also tell from his words that he has somehow lost the portkey I gave him.  It is my belief that it was taken away.  It is also clear to me that Harry’s correspondences are to be approved before being sent.”  Albus picked up his tea and began to contemplate what their next move was to be.


“Yes, Albus, those are the same conclusions I came to.  I also do not like his use of the words,” Severus reached for the letter and began to read, “desperately, difficult, anxious, lost and awaiting.”  Severus stood and walked to the kitchen sink and quietly set his cup down.  Turning back to the headmaster he continued.  “It is clear that the boy is in some distress and perhaps even hurt.  Were you able to visit him as his letter suggests you were going to?”


“No.  I went and was denied access.  Actually, I was told, rather diplomatically, that I could come back tomorrow. I’m sure I will not have success then, either.”


Albus and Severus sat at the kitchen table in quiet contemplation. Finally, Severus could not stand the quiet any longer. This said a great deal about the potion master’s current state of mind as he usually savored peace and quiet. However, at the moment his mind was a mass of thoughts and none of them were good.


“Albus, I understand what the Minister has to gain by keeping Potter separated from those he believes have poisoned the boys mind against the Ministry and its ideals. What I don’t understand is why Scrimgeour would allow Potter to be treated as a common criminal. That doesn’t make sense and that is what worries me.” Severus began tapping his long fingers on the kitchen table, another indication that his nerves were frayed.


“Yes, Severus, that is my main concern as well. There is something at play here that we are being kept in the dark about. It is one thing to keep Harry away from us, quite another to mistreat the boy. I will of course request a private meeting with the Minister to see what information I can gain. I will also attempt to convince the stubborn man that Harry is better off at school or at the very least with adults that he knows, such as the Weasley’s.” Albus stood and made his way to the kitchen window. Looking out on the overgrown Black garden his thoughts began to contemplate what they would be forced to do if they were unsuccessful in freeing Harry from Scrimgeour’s control.


Turning around, Albus noticed that Severus was also lost in thought. The older wizard knew that Severus did not want the potion to reveal that he was Harry’s father, but they were both wise enough to know that it would be the solution that would bring a quick end to this ordeal.


“Severus?” Albus retook his seat across from the brooding man and waited for acknowledgement. After several seconds Severus slowly looked up at his mentor.


“Severus, I know that this is hard for you, that the outcome may be something that you do not wish. I also know that you are scared of what that potion may bring to light. I just want you to know that…” Albus didn’t get to finish his thought, as Severus quickly rose from the table, his chair falling on to the floor with a dull thud.


“There is no way you could possibly know how I feel. Do not sit there and pretend to understand what is going through my head. What I do know is that there is no conceivable way that I am that stubborn, arrogant, brat’s father!” Severus took a deep breath, trying to control his anger. He told himself it was anger, but deep down he knew that what was coursing through his veins was pure anxiety and fear.
Severus walked to the kitchen door leading to the hall and turned to face the headmaster. “Albus, what you should do is decide what your battle strategy will be when that potion shows us what I know in my heart to be true. Harry Potter is not my son.”


Severus left the room in a sweep of long black robes, leaving Albus alone to contemplate his next course of action.


To be continued...
End Notes:
Sorry if the formatting is messed up. I had problems uploading this chapter and making it look the way I wanted. I had no problems with previous chapter. Who knows?


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1504