Hide Yourself Away by Snapegirl
Past Featured StorySummary: When Harry runs away from the Dursleys at the start of 3rd year, he is captured by Death Eaters and nearly killed, resulting in the loss of his magic. Only one man can help him now, Severus Snape, who has just discovered a shocking revelation . . . Harry is his son! Follow Harry and Severus as they attempt to build a relationship, resolve past conflicts, and heal Harry from the trauma he has endured.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Lily, Original Character, Remus
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Drama, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Runaway
Takes Place: 3rd summer
Warnings: Alcohol Use, Profanity, Torture, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: Hidden Away
Chapters: 22 Completed: Yes Word count: 97971 Read: 181853 Published: 29 Feb 2008 Updated: 26 Mar 2008
Promises To Keep by Snapegirl
Author's Notes:
Harry and Sev's relationship continues to grow and they meet Mia, Aurelia's granddaughter. She's a trip!

Gradually, Harry settled into a comfortable routine in the household, doing chores at mealtimes and the rest of his summer homework right after breakfast. Severus had no set study time for him, though he did insist the boy work for two to three hours on his assignments a day, until he'd finished them. Harry disliked being made to study, he'd become used to letting assignments slide and relying on Hermione to help him catch up, or copying down her notes in most classes, since she took better ones than he did.

But Severus didn't tolerate laziness when it came to schoolwork, and he'd already warned his son once that he was expected to study without being told, or else Severus would assign him a study period and stand over him making sure he completed his assignments.

Harry decided there could be nothing worse than being watched like a hawk while studying, especially by Severus, and he made sure to set aside at least an hour or so for homework. No way in hell did he want Severus to return to his old sarcastic snarky attitude, which he surely would if Harry gave him a hard time with doing schoolwork. He wondered if other kids with teachers for parents had the same problems? Or was this persnickety perfectionism just a Snape thing?

Then again, perhaps he'd just developed poor study habits from never being allowed to outperform Dudley in school, if he got higher marks than his cousin, he was punished by Vernon and accused of trying to show up their perfect son. And having Ron as a friend who procrastinated until the eleventh hour over schoolwork didn't help matters either.

Either way, Harry was doomed to learn good study habits, or else face the wrath of his professor father, which was not a thing the wise child provoked.

In addition to his daily chores and studies, Harry also assisted Severus in brewing several potions, and to his surprise he found he actually enjoyed spending time with his father doing so. He was not quite the dunderhead Severus had always assumed when it came to measuring and reading a recipe, most of his trouble had come from being distracted during class and from Malfoy sabotaging his work.

That was no longer the case, and Harry and Severus found they could work together harmoniously, most of the time. Of course, there were times when Harry would be caught daydreaming and do something wrong and Severus would snap at him, but mostly those times were pleasant for both of them. Harry came to appreciate his father's precise methods, the older man was so deft with his measurements and cuts that Harry despaired of ever equaling him in that regard. Not that he wanted to be a Potions Master, just decent with potions, so his father would be proud of him.

Harry smiled to himself just picturing Ron's face if he ever heard Harry say he wished to make Snape proud of him. It would be priceless. But odd as that seemed, Harry admitted that he did want his father's approval, it was not something he'd ever had before, and he craved it. Severus was still a rather strict teacher, but he did give praise when Harry had earned it, and was much fairer than he'd ever been at Hogwarts.

Even so, he was quick to point out mistakes, and if Harry repeated them, he felt the sharp edge of Snape's tongue. But never did the man raise a hand to him, or touch him with anything but a firm pat on the shoulder. He kept the promise he'd made to Harry that day when he'd found his son weeping over his Nimbus, and for that Harry was very grateful indeed.

For his part, Severus tried very hard to keep his sarcastic comments and critical attitude toned down. Acting that way with his son had become almost automatic when he taught Potions at Hogwarts, it had to be because of his cover as a spy and also because back then he still harbored resentment towards James's offspring. Now the resentment was gone and so was his need to maintain the snarky persona, so Severus could allow his other side to emerge a little, and not be so harsh with his pupil. A certain amount of sternness was needed, and Severus was a perfectionist and demanded his son work up to his full potential, but all in all he was not picking on the boy for everything, and this made Harry succeed in potion making better than he ever had before.

Pleased with his son's newfound aptitude, Severus rewarded him with permission to fly his Nimbus, provided he activated a Don't See Me charm first, so Muggles would not spot him. Harry was delighted, he'd been going a bit stir crazy, and could often be found flying after completing his studies.

Severus also allowed him to send letters to Ron and Hermione, telling them what had happened, but asked in return that they post their replies to Poppy at the Hogwarts Infirmary, coded with a snitch stamp, so she could then forward them to Harry. Severus was taking no chances of a letter from Harry's friends being intercepted by Dumbledore, and he knew the Headmaster would never stoop to opening the medi-witch's mail.

Harry had just finished posting two very lengthy parchments to both his friends and sent them off with Hedwig that afternoon. He hoped he would get a reply back soon, he was curious as to how they would react to his new circumstances and catch up on the latest news from Britain.

In the meantime, he was eating lunch by himself in the kitchen, as Aurelia had gone out to pick up her little granddaughter, Mia, and bring her over to spend the week, since Melody was going out of town on a business trip and she didn't want to leave the child home with her father alone. Devon was irresponsible and might forget to feed her or leave her by herself while he went out with his friends after work.

Severus was busy finishing up a potion, he'd soon stocked the shelves with most of the potions he'd had in his lab in Hogwarts, both by brewing them himself and taking them from his classroom. He considered he was entitled to them, since he'd made them and he deserved to be compensated for all the aggravation Dumbledore had put him through.

He hoped that Melody's little daughter wasn't annoying or spoiled like the young children of several of his Death Eater acquaintances. There was nothing more Severus disliked than a whiny spoiled brat. Still, from what Aurelia had told him, Mia was not spoiled by either of her parents much, though she was also not neglected either, at least by her mother. Devon was another story. Severus had little experience with small children, and he prayed the child knew manners and did not run about the house shrieking like a demon the way Draco used to or whining that she was bored and there was nothing to do.

The Potions Master quickly finished up his work and locked his lab, which was in a portion of Aurelia's basement, enlarged with space warp spells to fit what he needed comfortably. He considered contacting the wizard community here and letting them know that he was a Potions Master, willing to concoct potions for sale. He could make good money doing that, and not worry about draining Aurelia's reserves that way. He'd tried to pay his aunt something for allowing them to live in her house, but Aurelia had snapped that she wasn't a miser and not to insult her by offering her money as if he were a stranger renting a room.

"Honestly, Severus, what do you take me for, Money Grubbing Martha?" she'd scolded, making him feel absurdly like he was ten years old again. "Family doesn't owe family, you ought to know that by now. At least that's how the Prince family operates. If you really want to contribute something to the household, you can go shopping every other week for groceries and fill up my car."

So he'd agreed, and felt much better afterwards. He'd forgotten that Aurelia had the Prince pride, for all she wasn't a witch. But she also had the Prince compassion, and she had welcomed her nephew and his child into her heart without urging. Severus she treated like the son she never had but had always wanted, no matter that he was an adult, and Harry was like her grandson.

Severus was naturally conservative when it came to saving money, a legacy of being dirt poor as a child, which was why he had saved so much, but he did not skimp on Harry or himself when it came to necessities or things like potion ingredients, and he appreciated fine things, but knew how to bargain like the best Irish horse trader. The apothecary in Hogsmeade that had supplied him with most of his potion ingredients had once called him shrewder than a leprechaun counting his gold and groaned when he saw Snape coming, for he knew he'd be beggared by the time the Potions Master was done bargaining for whatever he needed. Snape refused to pay a penny more for his stock, and the apothecary knew better than to try and pass off inferior ingredients as a discount with him, because Severus was too sharp and would see through the deception in two seconds and withdraw his business. Snape hated cheating conniving shopkeepers.

The Potions Master was pondering finding a new apothecary on this side of the Atlantic as he emerged from the basement and went into the kitchen to grab a bite to eat. He found Harry already there, eating a turkey and Swiss on a hard roll along with some potato crisps, what Americans called chips, and something called Yankee Doodles, which were a chocolate cupcake.

"Hi," Harry greeted him before continuing to eat.

"Hello. Did you take your Nutrient Potion?" Severus reminded.

Harry groaned. "I, uh, forgot. Do I have to, Dad?"

"You know the answer to that, Harry," Severus said, and summoned the potion wordlessly and handed it to his son, who scowled at it.

"I feel fine. Why do I need it?"

"Because you were starved for over half your life and you won't grow properly else," Snape returned. "Now just take it and stop whining like a baby."

Harry muttered something under his breath that Severus was sure was a comment about how unfair his father was being, and he shot the boy a warning look. While he was glad Harry seemed more comfortable around him and had stopped being afraid of him, he would not tolerate any insolence from his son.

Harry caught it and drank the blasted draft, grimacing at how awful it tasted. Then he resumed eating, wishing Sev didn't keep such a careful watch on his health. He was accustomed to looking after his own well being mostly, since the Dursleys never gave a damn whether he lived or died, and this new regard from his parent took some getting used to.

Snape performed weekly diagnostics on him to make certain he was recovering the way he ought to from the ordeal he'd endured, and afterwards he'd usually give Harry another disgusting healing draft to imbibe. He was almost as bad as Madam Pomfrey, and Harry dreaded those checkups. He could sympathize with Ron totally now when the other teen complained about the way his mum fussed over him, making sure he ate vegetables and wore proper clothing and all. Only Snape was much worse, Harry thought, because he had a damn potion for everything and he took great delight in making sure his son drank all of them.

Little did Harry know how badly damaged his system had been by the repeated Cruciatus Curses, for Severus did not want to scare the boy, he was already emotionally under a lot of stress. So he simply took matters into his own hands and nursed his son back to health gradually, without telling him just what he was doing. He knew Harry was becoming irritated by what he saw as Severus's frequent and unnecessary checkups, but he was not willing to reveal his true purpose yet, and so the boy would have to just endure Severus's fussing, as he put it.

Severus had just started to eat his own sandwich and drink a glass of iced tea when Aurelia pulled up with her granddaughter, five-year-old Mia Barry. He could hear the little girl's excited chatter as they entered the house. "I've got cousins from England, Grandma? Why didn't I ever see them before now?"

"Because they lived far away, and they only just now came to live with me, sweetheart," Aurelia told her, laughing.

"They live here? Like Grandpa used to and Mommy?"

"Yes." Aurelia said, then called, "Harry, Sev, we're home!"

"Like we couldn't tell," Harry remarked softly to Severus, then rose to see if his aunt needed any help with Mia's suitcase.

He found a small girl with bright hazel eyes and short dark hair standing in the foyer. She was wearing a pretty green sundress and sandals with Ariel the Little Mermaid on them. When she caught sight of Harry she gave him a brilliant smile and stuck out her hand.

"Hi! Are you my cousin? My name's Mia."

"I'm Harry," he shook her little hand gently.

"I'm five," she informed him proudly. "My birthday was three weeks ago, on July 27th. How old are you?"

"Thirteen. And my birthday's a few days after yours, on July 31st."

"Cool! Did you have a party?"

"Uh . . ." Harry didn't know how to reply to that, since the truth was he'd celebrated his birthday alone, the way he usually did, only receiving presents from Ron, Hermione, Hagrid, and Mrs. Weasley. The Dursleys had never bothered celebrating Harry's birthday, since they would have been happier if he'd never been born, or so said Petunia once.

Aurelia, understanding his hesitation, quickly ushered her granddaughter into the kitchen, saying, "Harry, will you please put Mia's suitcase in my room? Mia, you can ask Harry all your questions later, for now let's go into the kitchen and meet your other cousin, Harry's dad, Severus Snape, or Sev for short."

Harry quickly beat a retreat to Aurelia's room with the child's suitcase, grateful to not have to answer any more awkward birthday questions.

When he returned to the kitchen a few minutes later, he saw Mia was seated next to Severus and telling him how she came to be staying at her grandmother's house. "I always stay at Grandma's when Mommy goes away, ‘cause my daddy's an irresponsible bastard," she announced calmly.

Harry nearly burst out laughing at the little girl's frank statement. Aurelia buried her face in her hands for a moment, and Severus raised an eyebrow and said, "I see."

"Mia Aurelia Barry!" scolded her grandmother. "You know better than to use that word, young lady."

"But Mommy said it," Mia defended. "Daddy made her cry again, ‘cause of his new girlfriend, and Cindy said he needs somebody to kick his butt for him and teach him how to treat a lady. Cindy's Mom's best friend." She gave Severus a long look. "You could probably do it, Sev. You're big enough."

That was too much for Harry. He cracked up, laughing uncontrollably. Severus was speechless for once and Aurelia looked like she wanted to die. Clearly Mia had no qualms talking about her family problems to anyone, even a distant cousin she'd only just met.

Mia nodded in satisfaction. "Yup. You could."

"Lord, Mia!" exclaimed Aurelia. "The things you come out with. Sev, I apologize, she's been around adults who just blurt out things without caring that she's listening. I've warned Melody before about this . . ." She shook her head and turned to her granddaughter. "Mia, you shouldn't go around telling people everything your Mom says, honey."

"But he's not just people, Grandma, he's family. And you said you can tell family anything."

Harry was still snickering in the doorway, and he started to laugh harder at the girl's innocent remark, making Severus turn around and snap, "Harry, control yourself, for Godsake!"

Harry made a valiant effort to stop laughing. He liked his little cousin already and he'd only known her for ten minutes, he thought, smothering his giggles with his hand. Anyone who had the guts to ask Severus Snape to beat up their-how had she put it? Oh, right, her irresponsible bastard of a father-Harry bit his lip hard-was amazing in his book. The look on Snape's face . . .Bet you weren't expecting anything like that, huh, Dad?

Aurelia was still trying to explain to Mia why she shouldn't ask her cousin Severus to beat up her daddy, no matter how much her mommy or Cindy said he deserved it.

Severus had been shocked at first at the child's brazen request, but then he considered what it meant that Mia thought nothing of telling a perfect stranger how her father cheated on her mother and her mother clearly disliked her husband. The little girl had been exposed to too much of the wrong influences, seeing and hearing things no child her age should, Severus thought with a pang of sadness. Could nothing remain innocent for longer than two years? She should be telling me about dolls or something, not how her father made her mother cry over his latest girlfriend, for Merlin's sake! In an odd way, it reminded him of his own childhood, for he too had been exposed to the darker side of life by that age, having grown up with Tobias, who showed little Sev how to pop the top of a can of beer before he attended primary school and who knew what a hangover was before he knew his alphabet.

Mia was a bright child, quick-witted and too observant, he thought with a flash of anger for the things she must have seen and heard in that house. He wondered how Melody could permit her impressionable child to be exposed to such things, and resolved to speak with his cousin when she returned. If things were that bad between her and Devon, she should just divorce him and be done with it, so her child didn't grow up thinking it was normal for one's mother to call her father an irresponsible bastard and for her father to break his marriage vows so openly. After what Aurelia had already told him and Mia's statement, he was more than ready to do just as the little girl had said and pummel Melody's husband into the dirt. Or hex him into the middle of next July.

He turned to look at his son, who had finally managed to stop laughing and gave him one of his pointed glares and hissed, "Harry, act your age! It wasn't funny."

The thirteen-year-old smirked and came over to his father and whispered, "I thought it was hilarious, just imagining you knocking the guy's behind in the dirt. And you and I both know you'd do it too, Dad."

Damn! He knows me far too well for comfort, Severus thought, annoyed at how perceptive his son had suddenly become. "That's neither here nor there. What I'd like to do and what I will do are two different things, Harry. Now sit down and finish your lunch and try to stop smirking like an insane monkey, won't you?" His tone on that last sentence made it seem like an order instead of a request.

Harry, no fool, knew better than to disobey and sat down and resumed eating. One thing he did know, was that with Mia around, the week was going to be very interesting, in more ways than one!

* * * * * *

After Harry and Mia had gone to bed that night, Severus drew Aurelia aside and told her something neither she or Melody had known about the too observant little girl. "She's a witch, Aunt Relia. I could see the talent in her, even now. If she hasn't started to show signs of accidental magic already, she will soon."

"Are you certain, Sev?" Aurelia looked flabbergasted. "I never thought she'd inherit the gift. Although Melody did mention that she'd noticed odd things happening lately when Mia was around. Books flying off shelves with no one near them, and once she was giving Mia a bath and swears she saw her rubber duck dive by itself and Mia's stuffed animals dancing in a circle."

"Accidental magic," Severus nodded. "If she's showing signs already, it means she'll be a strong witch. Odd things like that will occur more frequently until she learns to control her gift and by the time she is eleven or maybe ten, her magic will have sparked fully and she'll need to attend school in order to master it. I'm not familiar with wizarding customs in America, do they have schools like Hogwarts here?"

"Yes, we do have Academies," Aurelia informed him. "But only the rich and privileged go there, and you have to be sponsored into one. That would never happen in Mia's case, Severus."

"Why not? She has as good a bloodline as any on her mother's side. Don't tell me they're prejudiced against Muggleborns here too?"

"Not to the extent they are over in Britain, no. But the Academies are like snooty prep schools, if you want an analogy. Mia isn't the daughter of a rich father or a powerful wizarding family and therefore they'd never sponsor her, no matter how strongly gifted she is. Which is just as well, since her parents could never afford it."

"Then what do the ordinary wizards do, teach themselves?"

"No, of course not!" chuckled Aurelia. "They have private tutors, mostly, ones that have signed magically binding Master Codes stating their willingness to teach a student until they have attained full wizard status. The apprentices sign articles too, binding them to learn what the master has to teach for a period of seven years."

"I see. You follow the old system then, of master and apprentice," Severus concluded. "Well then, it seems as if I'm going to be her teacher when she comes of age."

"Really, Severus? You'd be her master?"

"Yes. She's my blood and I'd not trust anyone else to teach her properly, Aunt Relia," he said firmly. A part of his mind was howling in shock at his words, but he told it to shut up. He'd thought his teaching days had ended when he'd resigned, but apparently fate had other ideas, and there was no way he'd let a strange wizard or witch tutor Mia when he could do it better himself. "Does she know about magic and wizards?"

"Not really. Oh she knows that they're in stories, but for an actual fact, no. We thought it best not to tell her the truth, since she wasn't growing up around any wizards, the way Melody was."

"I'll speak with her tomorrow and make sure she understands what's happening to her so she won't be frightened," Severus said. "How do you think Melody will react to the news?"

"Oh, I think she'll be delighted. She was always disappointed she never got any magic from my side of the family, poor girl. She used to wish for it every year on her birthday, or so she told me once."

"She must have hated me then," remarked Snape wryly.

"Oh no, Sev. Melody said you were her favorite cousin and she often wished she could see you more often. She liked having an older cousin that could do magic, even if you weren't allowed to use it that often around her."

"Good. Then she won't be jealous that her daughter's a witch, right?"

"No, why?"

"Because Lily's sister Petunia was jealous of the fact her sister could do magic and she couldn't, and she took it out on Lily and I when we were children and later on she transferred it to Harry when he lived there. Not that I think Melody would ever treat Mia the way Petunia treated Harry," Severus added swiftly upon seeing Aurelia's face turn stormy. "But I had to be sure."

"No, you need never fear that, Severus. Melody will cherish Mia even more now. As for Devon, there's no telling how that scoundrel will react, he might think it was all nonsense or he might think he could use Mia to help him in his secret . . .assignations," Aurelia said, her mouth tightening.

"That's disgusting!" Severus exclaimed angrily. "That he would expose his child to such immorality. Perhaps I ought to do what Mia suggested and kick his backside for him."

Aurelia giggled softly. "Ah, Sev, I wouldn't mind one bit! Not all! I just couldn't say that in front of Mia. But I'm afraid Melody wouldn't agree with me. For all of his flaws, I think she still loves him a little. Otherwise she'd have left long ago."

"How can she love a man who is unfaithful?"

"I don't know. If I'd ever discovered Sam was cheating on me, he'd have woken up in the hospital, because I'd have beaten him with a baseball bat until he couldn't move." Aurelia said grimly. "I thought I'd taught Mel to have more pride in herself than that, but I guess I was wrong. I can't figure her sometimes, Sev. She's not like me or her father."

Severus had a sudden flash of comprehension. "No. She's like my mother. Who stayed with a drunken abusive bastard until she died, out of misguided love or whatever you want to call it." He shook his head angrily. "I need to have a talk with her when she comes back, Aunt Relia. So history doesn't bloody repeat itself."

"Good luck, Severus. Melody dances to her own tune. She's stubborner than a mule."

"It runs in the family. And I've more than my share." Snape said honestly.

"Yes, you do!" Aurelia laughed, her brown eyes twinkling. "If anyone can convince her to see how Devon's ruining her life and Mia's also, you can, dear."

"I'll do my best, Aunt Relia."

"That's all anyone can ask, Sev." She patted him on the cheek then they both went to bed.

* * * * * *

The next morning, Severus told Mia that she was a witch, just like her great aunt Eileen had been, and like he and Harry were. "Only we're called wizards because we're men, little one."

She was quiet for a minute, then she asked, "How come?"

"How come you have magic? Or how come there are different names for wizards and witches?" Severus asked.

"Both."

"All right. I'll answer the second question first, because it's easier. The reason a man who has magic is called a wizard is because of language, Mia. Wizard means a wise man, so that's why we use that term. Witch means a wise woman. They're different words with the same meaning, do you understand?"

Mia nodded. "Uh huh. But then what's a magician, Severus?"

"It's another name for a person who uses magic. I've noticed that witches in the US tend to prefer that name, probably because of all the superstition in this country going back to the Salem witch trials."

"People think witches are bad," Mia said. "Like the wicked witch in Sleeping Beauty."

"Yes, some people don't know any better. But while some witches are bad, others are not."

"I'm not a bad witch," Mia stated firmly. "I'm a good one, like Glinda in The Wizard of Oz. Have you ever seen that movie?"

"Uh, no."

"Oh good! Then maybe we can watch it tonight, okay?" she gave him puppy dog eyes and he melted, to his eternal shock.

"Yes, all right, child," he agreed gruffly. "Now as I was saying-"

"D'you mean it?" she interrupted him. "You'll watch it with me, Severus? Promise?"

"Yes, I promise," he said quickly. "Now listen to me, Mia, this is important. Your magic is a gift, and it makes you different from other little girls, but that doesn't mean you're not as good as they are. Just different. And that's a good thing."

"I know. Like when Mom says I'm her special girl, right?"

"Exactly. You are very special, Mia," Severus stressed, wanting to reassure her that her magic was nothing to be afraid or ashamed of.

"Just like you and Harry, right?"

"Yes. But you must never tell anyone outside of your family about your gift, Mia. Because they wouldn't understand. They would think you were lying or that you were, uh, a bad witch," explained Severus, trying to use words the child would comprehend. "So you must keep your magic a secret. Can you do that?"

"I can, Severus. I don't think I'll tell my daddy. He wouldn't understand like those other people. He thinks magic isn't real. But he's wrong." She rolled her eyes and he struggled to keep from laughing. "Silly Daddy, he doesn't know anything. I always knew magic was real."

"Then you aren't frightened, little one?"

"Oh no! It's wonderful!" she declared, with a huge smile. Then she threw her arms about his neck and hugged him.

For one moment Severus remained frozen, unable to react to her enthusiastic response. Then he put his arms about her and hugged her back, thinking wistfully that this was how it should have been for Harry, when his magic first awakened, instead of the sneers and taunts he'd suffered. It would have been, if Albus hadn't meddled in their lives, Severus thought bitterly. Harry would have grown up safe and loved, with a real father instead of a nasty uncle who belittled and abused him.

Thank God that would not be little Mia's fate, not so long as he was around, he vowed. He would see to it that the child never learned to fear her powers or think she was a freak because she was born with the gift of magic.

And that, Severus, is the most important lesson you'll ever teach, whispered his conscience.

Then Mia wriggled out of his grasp and said, "What's for breakfast, Sev?"

"What would you like?"

"Pancakes. Can you make them?"

Severus smiled. "Of course. Your grandma taught me. Would you like to help?"

"Yes! Yes!" she cried. "I'll get the bowl." Then she clapped her hands, and the bowl flew out of the cabinet into her hands.

"Wow!" she gasped, her hazel eyes wide. "I did magic!"

"You certainly did, Mia." Severus agreed. Then he waved his wand and eggs, milk, and pancake mix appeared on the counter.

"Neat! Can I do that too?"

"Someday, I'll teach you that spell," said the wizard. "Can you get me the griddle?"

And Mia did, though not with magic that time. Then she stood on a little stepstool and watched Severus make the pancake batter, stirring it with a spoon at his direction.

That was the sight that met Aurelia's and Harry's eyes when they entered the kitchen that morning.

Harry rubbed his eyes, wondering if he was still asleep and this was a dream. Was he actually seeing his father, the sharp-tongued, hard-nosed Professor Snape, showing a little girl how to make pancakes?

Aurelia's eyes twinkled and she put a finger to her lips, beckoning Harry off to the side of the kitchen entrance, where they could observe the two but not be seen.

Severus was flicking water on the griddle, when it sizzled, he quickly poured the batter onto it.

"How do you know when it's done, Sev?" asked his diminutive helper.

"You watch for tiny little bubbles on the batter and count off two minutes," answered Severus.

Mia peered hard at the pancake. Then she got very excited, nearly falling off the stool. "I see them! I see them! Now you flip it, right?"

"Yes, Miss Barry," chuckled her cousin. "Now we flip it." And he took out a large spatula, put one of her hands on it and his own over it and flipped the pancake up into the air.

It landed perfectly on the griddle and Mia squealed. "Now what?"

"Now we wait two more minutes. Then we put it on a plate and eat it."

The pancake was done in moments, fluffy and browned. It was perfect.

Mia grinned happily. "You make the best pancakes ever, Sev."

He tweaked her nose. "Well, I have the best helper ever, miss."

Harry watched them and couldn't help a twinge of envy. They looked so perfect there, the little girl and the tall man, they could have been father and daughter. He couldn't help the sudden thought that rose to his mind. Is that what it would have been like, if I grew up with him instead of the Dursleys? Would he have taught me to make pancakes like that?

Aurelia was watching him closely, and she didn't miss the sudden flash of wistfulness and longing in Harry's green eyes. She knew he would never do so on his own, so she gave him a nudge and indicated he ought to go join the other two at the stove.

Harry hesitated, then went at another poke from his aunt.

He banged into the back of a chair slightly and Mia turned about.

"Hey, Harry! Want to help us make pancakes?"

"Uh . . .I don't know how," he began awkwardly, not wanting to intrude.

"It's easy! Sev showed me. C'mon."

Harry hesitated, then went over when Severus beckoned him. "Mia, what do you do first?"

"First you get the ingredients . . ." she said.

Aurelia watched the three and grinned. Yes, it had been a good idea to have Mia come here. She did what she did best, brought light and happiness to everyone, which was a great gift, even greater than her newly discovered magic.

That night, Severus kept his promise and they all watched The Wizard of Oz, and Mia fell asleep on Snape's lap. When Severus commented on how happy the child had been that they were going to watch the movie, Aurelia said only, "She's not used to a man keeping his promise to her, Sev. Her father breaks nearly every promise he ever makes. I think you're the first man she's ever known that's kept his word to her."

"And I always will," he said quietly, for he knew the pain of a promise broken.

* * * * * *

In a day and a half, or maybe sooner, Mia had stolen both men's hearts. She had wrapped them about her little finger, thought her grandmother with a secret smirk, though Severus would have denied that had happened to his last breath. As for Harry, he just loved having a younger child that looked up to him, for he had never had a younger sibling, and Mia thought he was wonderful.

"Harry! Let's play Operation!" she called, tugging on his sleeve while he was finishing up his History of Magic essay.

Eager to get away from the deadly dull subject, Harry stuffed the half-finished essay back in his book and got up from his desk. "What's Operation?"

"You've never played it?" she repeated in astonishment. "Where'd you grow up, the North Pole?"

Harry chuckled, Mia came out with the most outrageous things sometimes. "Something like that. I grew up with my spoiled cousin Dudley, and he got everything and I got . . .never mind. What's Operation?"

"It's a game, silly!" she dragged him out of the room and into the den, where a plastic red and yellow box with a man painted on it sat on the table. The man had holes in him in certain places, and when Harry peered in them he saw more plastic pieces inside. "See, you have to pretend to be a doctor and operate on him," Mia explained. She showed Harry the different cards, which she couldn't read all of, but knew them by heart anyway, that told you what part of the man to operate on.

"Mom and I play all the time," she informed her older cousin.

But she didn't bother to tell Harry that the man's nose lit up and a loud buzzing sound rang out if you touched the side of the hole with the red tweezer-like tool.

Harry jumped and Mia giggled. "Got you!"

"Brat! You did that on purpose!"

"I scared you!" she sang. "Didn't I?"

"Oh yeah, you did," Harry pretended to shiver, playing along with her. "Your turn. Let's see how good you are, Dr. Barry."

She picked up a card. "Oh no! The charley horse. This one's hard," frowning, she concentrated, and before she could grasp the piece with the metal tool, it flew up out of the hole and into her hand.

She gasped. "Uh oh! I did magic again. I'm sorry!"

"It's okay, Mia," Harry reassured her, ruffling her hair. "That's normal. Your magic reacts when you feel strongly about something. I used to make things fly all the time when I was your age."

"You did?" He nodded. "But now I cheated. I'm not supposed to use magic to play this."

"So put it back and do it the Muggle way," instructed her cousin.

"Muggle? What's that?"

"Uh, it's what we call people without magic, who aren't wizards."

"Oh. What for? Why don't we just call them people?"

Harry had never been asked that before. "Umm. . .I don't know." Now that he thought about it, it did seem kind of dumb, like wizards were attempting to distance themselves from the rest of the human race. He wondered if purebloods like Malfoy had invented that term, the way they had Mudblood. Perhaps he'd ask Severus, the man knew almost everything, he'd probably know the origin of the word Muggle.

"I mean, we're all people, right? Just we've got magic and they don't." Mia said softly. "That's the only difference." She put back the horse piece and then she picked up the tweezer-like tool again.

This time the piece stayed where it was and the little girl managed to get it out without her magic assisting her.

"Good job!"

"You owe me $1500 bucks," said the little mercenary, then she grinned angelically.

Harry paid her. They continued until all the pieces were out of the man.

Mia won, and she clapped her hands. "I won, Harry!"

He pretended to look upset. "Yeah, you kicked my butt good."

She laughed. "We can play again. You can go first."

Five games later, Mia had won three out of five, and Harry said she was an excellent doctor. "You can operate on me any time, kid."

"Okay. But you aren't coming near me with a tweezer, Harry."

Severus had just come into the den to call them for lunch and caught that last comment. He roared with laughter. Oh, child, you are a treasure!

* * * * * *

That night, Aurelia said that Mia could pick the nightly TV show. The little girl chose to watch Animal Planet. The first show was only an hour and it was called The Crocodile Hunter. It featured Steve Erwin and a gigantic python. It was interesting though Harry thought the man was mad to handle such a huge and dangerous snake with nothing but his bare hands. And he was just a Muggle too!

"Did you like it, Harry?" she asked when it was over. "I love Steve!"

"Yes, what's on next?"

"My favorite show! That's My Beagle! It's all about beagles," she said, bouncing up and down.

Severus winced. "Sit still, won't you? I'm not a trampoline, miss."

"Oops. Sorry, Sev." She curled up in his lap and stopped jumping. "Beagles are my favorite dog. They're so cute. Do you like dogs, Sev?"

"Yes. Provided they're well-mannered and don't jump all over you and lick you to death."

Harry liked dogs too, but had never been allowed to have one, because Aunt Petunia thought they were dirty disgusting animals. Once, when he was about five, he'd actually asked her if he could have one. And she had screeched at him that she already had enough problems with him, why would she want to add another animal to the household.

Dudley had snickered and said they didn't need a dog when they had Harry, he was just as good as kicking a stray, and if he died no one would miss him.

Petunia had not bothered to reprimand her son for his cruel words. Harry had not understood why then. But he did now. It was because she had agreed with them.

He pushed the unwelcome memories away for now. Later when he was alone in his room, he would write them down in a special journal Severus had given him. His father had told him he should write down any memories he had of things that bothered him, and when he felt like it, he could read them and see if he still was bothered by them. If he was, he could talk about them with Severus or Aurelia, who was a wonderfully intuitive psychologist, even though she had never held a degree. Neither of them would ever read his journal unless he permitted them to.

At first Harry had thought the whole idea was stupid and the last thing he wanted was to have to write more. But he soon discovered that writing helped ease the pain inside of him, just the act of putting a memory down helped relieve a great deal of anguish. So now he wrote in the journal every night, and gradually the knot of miserable cold inside of him started to thaw.

He returned his attention to the show, which had all kinds of little vignettes about people who owned and trained beagles. Beagles ran through obstacle courses, competed in dog shows, hunted rabbits and played with kids of all ages. Some of the stories were funny, some were sad, and some were simply heartwarming.

Harry looked at the happy-go-lucky dog with the adorable face and sweet nature and longed for one with all of his heart. The show was over all too soon and the host announced, "That's the weekly edition of That's My Beagle, folks! Tune in next time for more beagle tales from America's favorite hound dog! And if you're interested in owning one, here are a list of breeders, numbers, rescue sites, and addresses."

The screen was suddenly filled with a list of breeders and phone numbers as well as beagle rescues all over the US. Harry sighed and didn't notice that Aurelia was scribbling rapidly and so was Severus.

"I wish I could have a beagle, Harry," said Mia wistfully. "Don't you?"

"Yeah. I always wanted a dog."

"Me too. I asked my daddy to get me a stuffed beagle for my birthday, ‘cause he's allergic to dogs, but he forgot. But Mom got me a really nice book about them and lots of other cool stuff. I wish Daddy didn't forget so much. He never remembers anything I tell him, even when he promises me he listens to what I say." Then she asked Harry what he'd gotten for his birthday.

Harry told her the truth, because he didn't think it was wise to lie to the kid, although he left out the part where Uncle Vernon had wrapped up a used tissue in a box and handed it to him with their regards. She didn't need to know the way his relatives had treated him, she was neglected enough by her own father.

"What did you get him, Sev?" Mia asked next.

There was a rather awkward silence, then Severus replied, "Actually, I owe Harry a special birthday present, Mia, since I was . . .away when he had his birthday. Maybe you could help me choose one for him."

Mia was thrilled. "Okay! I've got a great idea!" She leaned over and whispered in Severus's ear.

The Potions Master's face was carefully neutral when he replied, "You really think that he'd like that?"

Mia nodded, grinning brightly. Then she whispered something else, and Severus nodded .

"Yes, you can come when we go buy it, miss. I'll need your expert input."

"You do?" she wasn't used to an adult ever requesting her opinion before.

"Absolutely," Severus reassured her and was rewarded with one of her beautiful smiles, which reminded him of her mother when she was a girl. Melody always had a beautiful smile, one that lit up her whole face.

"When can we go buy it, Sev? Tomorrow? Please? Please?" she begged, jumping up and down on his knees again.

He winced. "Settle down, little one," he ordered slightly, putting his hands on her shoulders to halt her bouncing. "We'll see. Maybe tomorrow or the next day. I'll let you know when, Miss Curiosity."

She beamed up at him happily, then nestled into his chest and asked, "Can you tell me a bedtime story, Severus? Grandma usually does, but I want to hear one from you tonight."

"You do?" Severus was astonished. And a bit panicked, for he couldn't think of what to tell the little girl. Then he recalled Lily reading from a book called Love You Forever when Harry was little, and he still remembered it. "Very well, but first you need to brush your teeth and get into pajamas, imp."

She slid from his lap and raced into the bathroom. "Be back quick as lightning, Sev!"

"Do you need help, honey?" asked Aurelia.

"No, Grandma, I can do it my own self. I know how."

She returned in six minutes, wearing a Tinkerbell nightgown, slippers, and displayed her shiny white teeth for Severus and Aurelia to inspect. They praised her for doing a good job, then she climbed back up on Severus's lap for the promised story.

"This story is about a Mum and her little boy, but it works just as well for little girls," Severus told her, then he began telling it. It was all about a mother's love for her child, no matter how much trouble the boy got into, and also about how the love was returned when the son grew up and came to take care of his mother when she was old.

Mia listened intently, yawning every now and again, until Severus finished. "I really liked that story, Sev."

"So did Harry. His mum used to read it to him when he was two."

"Where is Harry's mommy?"

"Uh, she's in heaven, sweetie," answered Aurelia sadly. "With the angels, like Grandpa."

"Oh no! That's so sad!" she turned around and hugged Severus. "You must miss her a lot."

"I do," Severus said hoarsely.

Then Mia jumped off his lap and went over to Harry and hugged him too. "I'm sorry you haven't got a mommy anymore, Harry," she said, and he saw tears in her huge eyes. "You can share mine if you want."

"Thanks, Mia," he said, blinking sharply and he hugged her tight. He barely remembered Lily, but he had never stopped longing for her. "I'd like that, kid."

"Good, ‘cause then you can be my big brother. Sort of," she told him earnestly. "I always wanted a big brother. Even more than I wanted a stuffed beagle."

That made them all laugh. "All right, now it's time for you to be in bed, young lady," said Aurelia. "Why don't you let your sort of big brother tuck you in, Mia?"

"Sure!" she wrapped her little arms about Harry's neck and he picked her up.

The two departed for Aurelia's bedroom, which was where Mia slept, leaving Severus and his aunt staring after them.

"Does Melody know what a treasure she has for a daughter, Aunt Relia?" asked her nephew. "Because if not, I'll be sure to inform her when I have that talk with her."

"Oh, she knows, Severus. Melody may be many things, but she's a wonderful mother and she loves Mia to pieces." Then she whispered behind her hand, "When do you want to start calling numbers?"

"First thing in the morning," he answered mysteriously, and smirked in secretive delight.

* * * * * *

The next morning, Severus asked Harry to begin cutting up flobberworms and chopping acacia roots for a potion he was going to brew later on. He also asked the teenager to set up the distillation apparatus, as he was going to be distilling the potion later on. Harry did not protest, for cutting up ingredients for his father was not the chore it usually was when he was in school. This was not punishment, and he discovered he didn't mind working as his dad's personal potions assistant.

So he set to work with a will, and soon had all the requested ingredients chopped and placed in small bowls and the distillery set up waiting for Severus to use it when he returned. He had taken Aurelia's car and departed with Mia on a mysterious errand, which Harry suspected had to do with getting him a belated birthday present. He was touched that Severus would do such a thing and wondered what the man and his cousin would pick out for him. Perhaps a new broom?

He'd been shocked when Snape had told him he could drive a car, for wizards did not normally do so, but then he recalled that Severus had grown up as both Muggle and wizard, and so had learned both ways of transportation. Still, the rules of the road were different in America, Harry thought in consternation, and he hoped Severus would be careful driving, since Americans drove on the wrong side of the road.

He came upstairs from the lab and went immediately into the bathroom to wash his hands, since he'd been handling acacia roots, which were slightly poisonous if eaten. After scrubbing very well with special soap Severus had told him to use, Harry wandered into the den and began flipping through a magazine idly. He hoped Ron or Hermione had gotten his letter, and they had written back to him. Hedwig perched on the back of the couch, sleepily hooting and preening her wizard's hair gently.

Harry scratched the gorgeous avian on her chest until she dozed, and continued reading the magazine, which was a Muggle one, called Newsweek.

The house was silent without Mia in it to fill it with her chatter and laughter and Harry found he missed it. Aurelia had gone with Severus and Mia as well, to shop for groceries, she said. Harry checked his watch, it was now past twelve and he wondered what they could be doing for four and a half hours. How long did it take to pick out a birthday present, for Merlin's sake?

Fifteen minutes later he heard the sound of the Sonata in the driveway and felt his heart quicken in absurd anticipation. You're such a little kid, Harry! He mocked himself softly. You're acting like you're six, not thirteen! It's not like you've never received a present before.

Yeah, but this is the first present I've ever received from my dad, he reminded himself. That I can remember anyhow.

Then the front door opened and Mia burst in, her face aglow. "Harry! Harry! I know it's past your birthday, but we all got you a birthday present."

He pretended to be surprised. "Really? Thanks!"

"Come on, come and see it!" She grabbed his hand and dragged him off the sofa. "It's two presents, ‘cause one's from your daddy and the other's from me and Grandma."

He followed her into the kitchen, where Severus was setting down a large green crate with a big colorful bow on it and Aurelia had three brightly wrapped boxes in her hands which she put on the kitchen table.

Harry stared. All that's for me?

"Here he is, Severus!" announced Mia.

Severus turned around and gave his son a smile. "Happy birthday, Harry! I know I'm over a month late, but better late than never as Lily used to say."

Harry felt a lump suddenly come into his throat. "Uh, thanks, Dad." Then he turned to Mia, who was vibrating in place. "What should I open first? The green crate or the other ones?"

"The crate! Before she gets lonely!" Mia blurted, then clapped a hand over her mouth. "Oops! I ruined the surprise. Damn!"

"Language, miss!" Severus reprimanded.

"Sorry."

"No you didn't, kiddo," Harry reassured her. "I still don't know what it is." But he had a wild idea. He knelt to open the door on the crate and suddenly the puppy inside awoke and came towards him.

Two seconds later he had his arms full of a very excited three month old beagle puppy, who was licking him ecstatically. He laughed and hugged the soft ball of fur, who was a beautiful little female with a orange head and a white muzzle with a stripe up her nose. She was mostly white, with a large black saddle over her back and orange around it, with four white feet and the traditional white tail tip.

"We got you a puppy!" sang Mia, petting the dog as well. "A beagle of your own. I picked her out myself! Do y'like her Harry? Do you?"

Harry gently shoved the puppy's face away from his mouth so he could talk. "I love her, Mia! She's the best birthday present I ever got in my life!"

The puppy barked softly, though it came out more of a little howl. "Arroo!"

Harry laughed and ruffled the dog's silken ears. "That's my beagle!"

The puppy began to nibble on his fingers. "She's teething, son," Severus told him. "So we picked out a lot of chew toys and bones for her, since the breeder told us beagle puppies chew a great deal." He knelt to scratch the puppy's chest and the beagle licked his hand.

"Does she have a name, Dad?"

"Well, the name on her kennel papers is Briar Rose, but the breeder said you can change it." The puppy mouthed the professor's hand and Snape tapped her on the nose. "No bite!" he scolded, and put his palm over her muzzle for a minute. "Don't let her bite you, Harry, otherwise she'll think it's all right to bite people later." He summoned a small chewie stick and gave it to her, praising her when she gnawed it. "If she nips you, do what I just did and give her something appropriate to chew. That's what the breeder told me."

"Okay, Dad." Harry stroked the beagle's silky fur, gazing at his new puppy in sheer delight.

"What are you gonna call her, Harry?" Mia asked. "Her fancy name's Briar Rose, like Sleeping Beauty."

Harry thought for a moment. Then he said, "I like that name. But I'll call her Rosie for short. She's got a red head, like a rosebud too."

"Rosie! Aww!" giggled Mia, then she kissed the top of the beagle's head. "She's so sweet. And now you can go on That's My Beagle, Harry, and tell people all about her."

"Please God, no," groaned his father. "That's all we need, my son and his celebrity dog."

Harry laughed and gave Rosie to Mia to hold while he opened up the rest of his presents, which were a SuperNintendo game system and some popular games and a whole entire puppy care kit.

The End.
End Notes:
So what did you think of Sev's belated birthday gift to Harry?

Yes, I have a beagle named Rocky at home!

A moment of silence to remember Steve Erwin...we miss you! For all those who loved The Crocodile Hunter.

That's My Beagle is not a real show on AP, I invented it, but it sure ought to be! All us crazy beagle owners would just love it! :)


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1507