Hide Yourself Away by Snapegirl
Past Featured StorySummary: When Harry runs away from the Dursleys at the start of 3rd year, he is captured by Death Eaters and nearly killed, resulting in the loss of his magic. Only one man can help him now, Severus Snape, who has just discovered a shocking revelation . . . Harry is his son! Follow Harry and Severus as they attempt to build a relationship, resolve past conflicts, and heal Harry from the trauma he has endured.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Lily, Original Character, Remus
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Drama, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Runaway
Takes Place: 3rd summer
Warnings: Alcohol Use, Profanity, Torture, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: Hidden Away
Chapters: 22 Completed: Yes Word count: 97971 Read: 181860 Published: 29 Feb 2008 Updated: 26 Mar 2008
Beagles, Brooms, and Trouble by Snapegirl
Author's Notes:
The beagle and Harry's attitude drive Severus insane!

Now, did you really expect Harry to stay out of trouble forever??

Also includes the infamous Pensieve memory as told by Severus!

There were times that Severus Snape thought he seriously needed his head examined. Such as when he'd listened to his five-year-old cousin and bought Harry a beagle puppy for a belated birthday present. The puppy was adorable, but behind those pleading brown eyes lurked the imp of mischief squared. When the breeder had told him that beagles like to chew, the man hadn't been exaggerating, as Severus discovered to his dismay.

Rosie chewed everything. But especially socks, shoes, and pillows. The puppy was like a whirlwind, and though Severus insisted Harry keep the dog confined only to certain areas of the house, like the kitchen and his bedroom, Harry inevitably forgot and Rosie got into mischief.

Said mischief included but was not limited to-chewing Severus's best pair of shoes, he still couldn't figure out how the dog got in his closet, unless he'd left the door open by mistake, stealing Aurelia's underwear and racing around the house with it, knocking over the waste paper basket in Severus's room and shredding all the parchment scraps all over the floor, then having an accident on the rug in the corner, ripping apart Aurelia's pillow on the sofa and rolling in the resulting pile of feathers, and chewing holes in all of Harry's socks.

Merlin's bloody beard, what did I buy here, a dog or a pair of jaws? Severus wondered after catching the beagle with his favorite tie in her mouth. He'd stupidly left it out on the bed and Rosie had jumped up and grabbed it. After scolding the puppy sternly and giving her yet another chew bone and putting her in her crate for a fifteen minute time out, he walked outside and yelled for his son.

"Harry! Come in here, right now!"

Harry, who was flying just above the treeline in the backyard, winced at his father's angry tone and groaned. He wondered what new mischief Rosie had gotten into. He really loved his dog, but she was more mischievous than a barrel of pixies, and Severus had no patience for that kind of thing.

In the week since she'd arrived, Rosie had turned the formerly cozy cottage upside down. Typical beagle! He quickly circled and came in for a landing, stowing the Nimbus in the garage, then walking slowly into the house. When Severus used that tone of voice, it meant one thing-trouble. Having Snape mad at him used to be a daily occurrence once upon a time, but lately Harry had been doing his ultimate best to keep out of trouble and get along with his father, for he did not want to be constantly fighting with the man over everything. Oh, they'd had the occasional disagreement, but nothing major, and Harry didn't really want to see what Severus could dish out when he was in a real temper.

He had promised he'd never beat Harry, but his temper was legendary and who knew if one day he'd lose it and wallop his son? It hadn't ever taken much to set his uncle off, a wrong word or a look would do it. Ron agreed with him, they'd been corresponding regularly for two weeks, telling his friend of the latest happenings in the wizarding world, a criminal named Sirius Black had escaped from Azkaban and they had a new DADA teacher, Remus Lupin. Harry was astonished at the news. His godfather was a professor at Hogwarts now and his mother's betrayer had escaped his prison. And there was a new Quidditch move Ron had told him about, which was what he'd been practicing when Severus had called him.

"You wanted to see me, sir?" Harry called when he entered the house and found Severus standing in the kitchen, wearing a grim expression. He sometimes reverted back to addressing Severus as "sir" when he was faced with the man's temper, it seemed safer that way.

"How many times do I have to tell you to make sure Rosie's confined before you leave the house, or aren't watching her?" his father demanded. Harry hung his head. "Do you know where I found the blasted dog ten minutes ago?"

"No sir."

"In my room, chewing on my best tie!" Severus displayed the green silk tie, it had small serpents on it in gold thread and had been a gift from Lily long ago. And now it was marred by several rows of little tooth marks.

"I'm sorry, Dad. I forgot to shut the puppy gate I guess."

Severus scowled at his son. "When I bought that dog for you, Harry, I assumed you were old enough to handle the responsibility of caring for a puppy. Maybe I was wrong, since you can't seem to follow simple instructions, like keeping her in a single room when you're not watching her. This is the fifth item she's chewed of mine in two days, young man, and I don't have time to be continually casting repairing charms on every piece of clothing I own. Or yours either, for that matter." He indicated the frayed cuff of Harry's jeans. "The damn dog's a little menace!"

"She's not!" Harry snapped, unwilling to let his father insult the lovable beagle that way. "She's just a puppy, she doesn't mean to cause trouble. She doesn't know any better."

"Yes, and who is supposed to be teaching her better?" demanded Severus. "I think it's a certain green-eyed boy with my last name. But you haven't been, have you? Instead I find you outside flying while the puppy's rampaging through the house."

"I forgot, okay?" Harry flared. "Give me a break, Dad! I'm not allowed to make a mistake?"

"Mind your tone, young man!" Severus warned, his eyes narrowing. "Mistakes are fine, as long as you don't keep repeating them. And you have, Harrison Remus, and well you know it. The breeder told you to keep the puppy to only one or two rooms for a reason, so you could control her behavior and actions."

"I hate keeping her in the crate, Dad. It's like prison."

"Harry, the crate is meant to be a home for her, as well as place to put her when you can't keep an eye on her. It most certainly is not a prison."

"It reminds me of my cupboard," his son muttered.

Severus gritted his teeth. "Don't be dramatic. It's a housebreaking tool, nothing more. And if you don't want to put her there, then you can let her free in the kitchen, after making sure you've taken her out for a walk. I shouldn't need to go over these rules like you were five, Harry. You ought to know better. After all-"

"-I'm thirteen, not five, I know," the boy drawled, rolling his eyes. He knew that sentence by heart.

Severus's eyes flashed. "That'll be enough of your cheek, boy! Adjust that attitude, mister, or else the dog's not going to be the only one confined to one room."

"I said I was sorry," mumbled his son.

"Sorry's not enough. Actions speak louder than words," lectured his father. "I'd better see you taking more responsibility for this puppy, Harry, or else I might just think about-"

"Getting rid of her?" Harry finished, his green eyes blazing. "That'd be like you, huh? Get rid of what's not perfect, just like Aunt Petunia. Real nice!"

For one instant, Severus remained speechless. He couldn't believe a comment like that had come out of his son's mouth. After all he'd done, the brat dared to compare him to Petunia Dursley! How dare he?

The minute the words had left his mouth, Harry wanted to kick himself hard. He hadn't meant to say them, but he'd lost his temper and they'd just come out. He hated it when Severus started in on him in that perfectionist tone, it made him feel inadequate and stupid and guilty. He swallowed sharply.

"Dad, I-I'm sorry-I-"

"No more excuses, I don't want to hear them," his father gritted out. "Go to your room now and start writing an essay on respecting authority, namely mine. Three feet of parchment, young man. Now!" And Severus fixed him with one of his most disapproving glowers.

Harry opened his mouth to argue, thought better of it upon catching a glimpse of his father's furious eyes, and did as he had been ordered. But he was still angry at Snape and so he shut his door a little harder than he should have.

Another mistake.

Severus opened the door and stuck his head in. "Now you can add another half a foot about controlling your temper."

"Fine! But you're one to talk," he muttered under his breath.

He'd forgotten Severus had ears like a cat. "Excuse me?" he said in a deadly soft tone. "Did I just hear you say that I can't control my temper, mister? Because I assure you, boy, that if I wasn't doing so, you'd be very sorry. Now close that mouth and start writing and for that little comment your Nimbus is mine for the next two days." Then Severus sailed out of the room, closing the door gently behind him.

Harry glared at the door and muttered several uncomplimentary things about his father before stomping over to his desk and sharpening a quill.

Ha! Severus was a fine one to talk about controlling one's temper. He let a little beagle make him lose it. And to threaten to take her away! His only birthday present, the puppy he'd always wanted. Just because she chewed a little too much. Bloody unfair perfectionist git! Okay, maybe it was a lot more than a little, he conceded, glancing at his latest pair of socks, which were ripped so badly he couldn't wear them. But still . . .he loved Rosie and his father should have never threatened to get rid of her. He knew how much the dog meant to Harry.

The thirteen-year-old scowled down at his parchment. He hated writing these bloody punishment essays. He'd rather be scrubbing sinks and toilets. He threw himself on his bed and grabbed his journal instead. He would write in that first, try and rid himself of his temper by writing about how mad his father made him. Then he'd work on the stupid essay.

* * * * *

Severus massaged his throbbing temples and slowly sipped some green tea, grateful that Aurelia was out of the house today and hadn't witnessed this little drama scene. Inside her crate, Rosie whimpered and Severus snapped, "Quiet, you little scamp!"

The puppy quieted, she knew better than to disobey. Unlike his son. Merlin, but what had gotten into the boy? First that totally uncalled comparison to Petunia, and then he'd had the nerve to slam a door and say his father needed to learn to control his temper!

The brat didn't know how lucky he was that Severus had such iron control over it, because after that last remark, the Potions Master had been sorely tempted to take the rebellious child by the ear and haul him over his knee. Only the fact that he'd promised Harry that he wouldn't hit him and also his age (he was a bit too old for a spanking) enabled Severus to squash that impulse. But it had been a near thing.

Severus rubbed his temples again. There were times that he thought he never should have been a father. Like today. Between his son and his son's beagle, Severus almost longed for his solitary days as the grouchy bat of the dungeons. Almost.

* * * * * *

Severus opened the door to his son's bedroom a half-an-hour later to make sure his instructions were being followed, only to see Harry sprawled on his bed writing in his red journal.

"That's not what I told you to write in, Harry," Severus began, his tone sharp with disapproval.

Harry looked up, startled. Merlin, the man moved like a ghost! "I know, but I needed to write in here first to-uh-to calm myself down."

"Are you calm now?"

"Yes."

"Good. Then start writing that essay, because you'll stay in here until it's finished."

"I'm not allowed dinner?"

"I never said that. Stop putting words in my mouth. If you're not finished with it by then, you can finish it afterwards. And it better be legible, or else you'll do it over."

This time Harry didn't respond with any smart remark. "Yes sir." He tucked the red journal away and went over to his desk and picked up the eagle quill and dipped it into the bottle of ink, tapped it against the side of the bottle, then began to write.

Why I Should Respect My Dad

By Harry Snape

Severus lingered a moment more, watching to see that his son was actually doing as he was told, then he departed the room in a swish of black robes. He had more potions to brew for customers. Ever since he'd decided to advertise himself in that potions magazine as an independent brewer and Master, he'd had more orders than he could handle, even with Harry helping him sometimes.

Ah, well, such was the price of success, he sighed and went into the basement. A moment later he came back up, recalling that Rosie needed to be walked. Not wanting to interrupt his son, who probably wanted to finish his essay before dinner, Severus took the puppy out and walked her himself.

Rosie looked up at him with her imploring beagle eyes and whined, wagging her little tail. "You're a brat, pup. A troublemaker too, just like your master in there," Severus scolded gently, waving a finger at her. "But I forgive you. This time. At least I know you're sorry."

Rosie jumped up and licked his hand.

"All right, I get the picture, Merlin help me!" Severus murmured, then knelt to pet the soft ears and was promptly covered in wet beagle kisses.

"Ugh! Puppy breath! Please, stop!" he wiped his face with his sleeve.

Rosie bayed and began to run in circles about him. Severus rolled his eyes and decided he needed a personal therapist. Or a fifth of gin. Preferably both, for he still had to talk with his son.

And to think he'd told Melody when she came to pick up Mia that children were the best legacy you could ever have. Maybe that was true when they were five, and didn't have such a smart mouth, but his thirteen-year-old was going to give him a stroke if he didn't learn to control his tongue. Severus couldn't recall ever being that mouthy with Tobias.

Hell, Sev, you probably were and just don't remember it. You probably got walloped for it too and don't recall it either ‘cause after years all the beatings blur into each other. He's inherited your temper and your mouth, Sev, God help us all. The Potions Master groaned.

It was too bad he never touched hard liquor ever. Because a bottle of Glenlivet was looking mighty tempting right now.

* * * * * *

By the time Harry was done with his essay, including the last bit about controlling his temper, he had come out of his snit and was feeling much more ashamed of his actions than he'd been previously. He knew he'd gone a bit overboard with that last comment, and was probably lucky his father hadn't lost it totally and smacked him one. Vernon would have. In a heartbeat. But then, Severus wasn't Vernon, or anything like him. If he had been, Harry would be nursing a split lip or at the least a very sore bottom. He really ought to thank God for small favors and also that Severus was a man of his word always.

Writing that blasted essay had made him think, as was no doubt the purpose behind it, just how much Snape had done over the past month and a half to earn Harry's respect, beginning with rescuing him from the Death Eaters lair and nursing him back to health. Severus had also left his comfortable position as Potions Master at Hogwarts because of Harry, and relocated to a totally different country so his son could grow up without being manipulated by a well-meaning old wizard. He had also done his best to be there for his son when he needed to talk about problems, whether in the past, or nightmares from what had occurred recently. He'd even agreed to let Harry be home schooled for a few months until he felt comfortable attending a regular Muggle school. (Aurelia was tutoring him, she'd been a substitute teacher for years before she went into business). Yes, he had to admit he owed the man a good deal.

And how had he repaid Severus? By comparing him to his abusive aunt and answering him back with a smart comment about needing to control his temper. Now he no longer felt justified in behaving that way towards his father, despite his fear that Severus would make him get rid of Rosie. Now all he felt was guilty and terribly ashamed.

He was right, I really do need to learn to control my temper. And watch my mouth. I couldn't blame him at all if he walloped me now, even if he did promise me he would never do that. I've earned it by being a snot. If my son had said something like that to my face, I don't know if I could've walked away afterwards. I probably would have taken the kid over my knee or strangled him. I just hope Dad forgives me for it. I really am sorry.

He made sure his essay was legible, then he rose to go and find his father and give him the completed assignment. He checked his watch, it was nearly suppertime and Aurelia was probably home by now cooking. He sniffed experimentally and nodded, yes, Aurelia was cooking all right. It smelled like ground beef or something, yum!

Before he could open the door, it swung wide and his father entered. "You've finished then?"

"Yes sir," Harry said respectfully, and handed him the essay.

Severus took a seat on Harry's bed and read the essay right there. Harry was surprised, then relieved that Severus would choose to read rather than lecture his son first. He just hoped it passed muster.

He nearly started chewing his nails waiting for Severus to finish.

Luckily, Snape was a quick reader and had finished the essay in about fifteen minutes. Then he set the parchment aside and looked at his son, who was biting his lower lip to shreds. "This is acceptable. And well written, Harry. I hope you also meant what you wrote here."

"I did, sir." Harry lowered his gaze to the tops of his shoes. "I'm really sorry I ever said you were like Aunt Petunia. It was stupid and rude and I didn't mean to say it. I just got mad, y'know?"

"Yes, I do know, believe it or not. You inherited that flashfire temper from me, son. And it took me years to develop the control you think I don't have," his father remarked rather snidely.

Harry flushed. "I'm sorry about that too. I know better. I just was upset because I thought you might make me give up Rosie. That's not a good excuse for saying that though, but . . ."

Severus sighed. "No, it isn't. And I've noticed you've developed a bad habit of jumping to conclusions, Harry. You think you know what people are going to say before they say it, and then you put words in their mouth they never intended to say. Like you did today with me. I would never tell you to give up your dog, Harry. I know you love her and she's a part of this family."

"But I heard you, you said-" Harry began.

"Stop." Severus held up a hand. "See, you're assuming again. Shut up and let me finish what I was going to say, then you may speak." Harry closed his mouth with a snap. "Now then, as I was saying, if you don't start assuming more responsibility for your dog, I'm going to start treating you like a five-year-old and making charts and having you check off tasks every time you complete one and be watching you every minute and reminding you to do things, like walk her and feed her. Now, I don't want to have to do that, but I will if I don't see a major effort on your part. And if you think I'm bad now, Harry, about nagging you to do chores and homework and train that beagle, I'll be twenty times worse if you don't shape up. I'll be breathing down your neck practically every minute, and every time you forget something, I'll be on your arse so fast you won't know what hit you. Now, do you want that, young man?"

Harry shook his head rapidly. "No!"

"Then I'd better see you remembering to watch out for your puppy from now on and not giving me any back talk. Am I clear?"

"Yes sir. I'll behave. I really don't want you to get on my butt like that, you're bad enough now," his son said, shuddering at the mere thought.

Severus smirked evilly. "You're forgiven then, son. Just remember what I said, Harry. Otherwise you know what will happen."

"Right. And you're nothing like Aunt Petunia, Dad. She'd have hauled my arse into my cupboard so fast I'd have been facing backwards and then she'd have told Uncle Vernon to wallop me when he got home and I wouldn't have gotten dinner either."

Severus reached out and ruffled his son's soft hair. "Nice to know you finally appreciate me, brat. Now let's go eat, I can hear your stomach growling from here."

Then he rose to his feet and Harry followed, resolving to behave himself and work harder with Rosie in the future.

Later on that night, after he'd finished all of his homework assignments, Harry decided to ask Severus something he'd been wondering about since their talk that afternoon.

Severus was packaging several potions to be delivered to customers with his owl Streak at the kitchen table, when he looked up to find Harry at his elbow. "What is it, Harry?"

"Uh, I wanted to ask you something, Dad. I was wondering, is all, how you ever learned to control your temper?"

Severus finished tying the knot in the string, then gestured for his son to sit down next to him. Harry did. "Well, it was very difficult, especially because I never had a good example at home. My father was terrible at controlling his emotions, he let every little thing rile him, and he exploded for no reason. I lived with that my whole life, and though I promised I'd never be like him, I had his hair trigger temper too. It was my greatest bane and it still is. But one day something happened that made me realize I had to learn to keep my temper and my mouth under control, for my own good and everyone else's."

Harry leaned forward. "What was it?" He could sense another story about his father's past in the offing.

Severus did not disappoint him.

"You know about how I discovered the fact that Remus was a werewolf during my fifth year already. That was, of course, a major turning point in our relationship as friends, my knowledge of his secret. Lily and I were trying to help him as much as possible by inventing the potion we would eventually call Wolfsbane.

"But in the meantime, we also had an incredible amount of studying to do for our OWL's. I was determined to get top marks in them and so were Remus and Lily. So we studied together and quizzed each other every night in the library. Madam Pince used to say we ought to just set up beds there, we practically lived there after classes were over. But she didn't really mind because we weren't disruptive and we didn't damage her precious books.

"All our hard work finally paid off though, when it came time to take the tests. I aced my Potions of course, and so did Lily. Remus got an O too, I think, but he always said he never would have received that high a mark if it weren't for the two of us tutoring him. An O stands for Outstanding." Severus clarified at his son's blank look.

"Well, we had finished our Defense exam and were heading outside for a break. I was still reading over my paper, making sure I'd answered all the questions correctly, even though the exam was over. I thought I'd done well, I always liked that class, even though our instructor was a strict bastard."

Here Harry grinned. "Sounds like another professor I know."

"Watch it, brat," Severus mock-growled. Then he went on. "Where was I?"

"Uh, you were looking over your paper."

"Right. I was sitting down looking over the questions, and thinking about my answers when James and Black spotted me. They were bored out of their pea brains that day, having exhausted their mental capacity on their exams," Severus recalled with a sly smirk. "They wanted some action and I was the first person they saw when they looked around. Also, Black was still angry at me for taking all those points for the werewolf incident and earning him detention and another Howler from his formidable mother. Merlin, am I glad she wasn't mine! She was a scary old bitch. I almost felt sorry for him, with a mother like that.

"So they were waiting for their next chance to catch me off guard and they did. I wasn't paying attention, like an idiot, and they snuck up on me and cast a Body Bind on me before I knew what they were about. Now I'd managed to learn a bit of wandless magic from my mum the previous summer, and I canceled the spell and got to my feet.

"But Black was in full pit bull mode and he hexed me again as soon as I was on my feet. I blocked it and sent one back at him, but James attacked me as soon as I wasn't looking at him and knocked my wand out of my hand.

"Then Black started in on how I was a greasy dungeon bat and all the rest of it and I yelled back all kinds of swear words, because I couldn't get my wand and James kept knocking me in the dirt with a Leglock Jinx before I could get up and take a swing at Black."

Harry gaped. "What did you do?"

"Not much, except get mad, I think I said something about Potter's mother, I can't remember very well, except it was very nasty, and he cast a Scourgify spell on me and nearly choked me to death with too much soap.

"By then the other jinx had worn off and I was able to get my hands on my wand. I was furious as hell and I cast a spell I shouldn't have, one that could have killed James, if I'd done it right. It's a very strong combat spell called Sectumsempra, and it was a spell I'd invented myself. It cuts an opponent to pieces with invisible swords."

Harry whistled. "Sounds like something on Mortal Kombat."

"Hmm. Yes, well, I was still coughing on soap, so my spell wasn't focused enough and it only cut open his cheek instead of taking his head off. Black went crazy then, he knew what that spell was, and he cast a hex that hung me upside down in the air.

"By then everyone else who'd been outside was watching this, and they thought it was highly amusing, to see a Slytherin prefect get thrashed by the two Golden Lions." Severus was scowling angrily now. "James had knocked my wand out of my hand then and was threatening to strip me in front of everyone when your mother showed up."

Harry winced. "Oh God. Was she furious?"

"Like a dragon with stolen eggs. She lit into them something fierce, wanting to know why they couldn't leave me alone, why they got off tormenting me. They treated her like a joke, but she wouldn't have it. Potter asked her if she'd go out with him if he stopped hexing me and she spit in his face.

"He dropped me on my face then and I was ready to die of embarrassment. I was furious at them for attacking me, at myself for not being careful and keeping watch, and for letting them get the better of me, and I was also angry at your mother for defending me so publically.

"The others were all laughing and pointing at me, saying how stupid I looked, how I wasn't even man enough to defend myself and needed a girl to do my fighting for me and other things. Well, I completely lost my head then. I got up from the ground and yelled at Lily, "Stay out of this, Evans! I can fight my own battles and don' t need any help from a Mudblood!"

"You called her that name?" Harry cried. "Dad, how could you?"

Severus winced. "I don't know. But it slipped out in the heat of my temper, and I wasn't even as angry at her as I was at Black and Potter, but she was the one who got the brunt of my blasted temper. I regretted that as soon as I said it, but it was too late.

"My words hurt her badly and she turned on me and snapped, "Fine fight your own bloody battles, Snivellus!" then she slapped me one right across the face and went off with Alice, crying.

"I felt horrible, and would have gone after her, but then Potter interfered and hung me up in the air again. Black threatened to beat me with a switch for my nasty mouth, and heaven help me, I'd have let him, I think. I'd just hurt the girl I loved better than anything, insulted her publically.

"But Remus came along then and he knocked Black into a tree and made James let me down. Then I took off and spent the rest of the day in the infirmary, where nobody would think to look for me, helping Poppy and confessing to her what had happened. She gave me very good advice. She told me I needed to find Lily and apologize to her and then I needed to learn meditation to control my temper. She recommended I take lessons with Albus."

"And did you?"

"Yes. He knew about the incident, of course, and it was then that he began to cultivate me, saying I had unique talents and I could help him infiltrate the ones in my House who were allied with the Dark Lord."

"Was that when you agreed to be a spy for the Order?"

"Not then, but it was the beginning. I didn't officially join the Order until I graduated and it was then that I took up my mantle of secret agent."

"Did Mum forgive you for calling her that name?"

Severus nodded. "Yes, she did, though she gave me the cold shoulder for days and barely spoke to me, until she couldn't stand how miserable we both were and she came to me and said she forgave me. Then she said if I ever called her that again, she'd hex my tongue away," his father added. "So I never did, and that is the main reason why I work so hard to reign my temper in, so I don't ever hurt another person with my anger like that again."

"Oh. Can you teach me that meditation thing, Dad?"

"I can. If you like we'll go over some breathing techniques tomorrow."

"Thanks. I think I'd better learn it. Before Mum comes down from heaven and wallops me with a spoon," Harry said, and Severus laughed. "Mum was a member of the Order too, wasn't she?"

"She was. She was like me, a special agent. She worked in the Department of Mysteries at the Ministry as an Unspeakable, that's a witch who works undercover gathering information about prophecies and such. Her work was very difficult and dangerous and it brought her to the attention of bloody Voldemort.

"There had been a prophecy spoken about him and a certain child that would be born as the seventh month died, one that would be born to parents who had thrice defied the Dark Lord," Severus recited softly. "That one would be his doom. Lily knew of the prophecy and she told me and that's why we took steps to hide you away, Harry. Because the Dark Lord believed you were the one spoken of in the prophecy and he wanted you dead. But by targeting us, he fulfilled his own prophecy."

"How, Dad?"

"Because the prophecy clearly stated that the one must be born to parents who have thrice defied him. Well, Lily and I were certainly against him, but we couldn't figure out what it meant by thrice defied him until we chose James to be your stepdad, and he was an Auror and in direct opposition to Voldemort. So the prophecy was fulfilled, because you were the son of three parents who had defied him at least once."

"There's a prophecy about me killing Voldemort?" Harry cried. "Does it tell you how to do it too?"

"No. A prophecy is never specific, Harry. It's always couched in vague phrases designed to befuddle and confuse. We're lucky we figured out what it meant in time to hide you."

"Great! Just great! Why me? Why am I always the bloody hero?" he shouted.

"Temper, Harry."

Harry blushed and tried to concentrate on breathing deeply. "Sorry. I just don't like people telling me I can choose my own destiny and then telling me that's out because a Seer had a vision about me before then saying I was supposed to be the one to defeat the darkest wizard of all. I hate it!"

Severus nodded and put a hand on Harry's shoulder. "I don't blame you, son. But you don't have to worry about that any more, Harry, since I'm here. No one is going to make you into a savior without your consent, not so long as I'm around. I don't put much stock in prophecies, son, that's what got Lily and James killed and cost me all those years with you. For Albus believed it as the truth and all he did was aimed toward you fulfilling it. But that's finished now, and you can just be Harry Snape, and nobody's damn hero who has to kill the bloody Dark Lord or die trying."

"Good, because I couldn't anyhow without magic."

"Even if your magic was restored, you still would not be forced into being a hero, Harry. I would make sure you were allowed to choose, and that you knew exactly what was required of you before you made any decision. I'm not like Albus, son, I don't believe in twisting the truth to suit my own agenda. Have I answered all of your questions then?"

Harry nodded. "Yeah. For now."

"Good. Now go to bed."

"Bed? But Dad, it's only nine thirty!"

"I know. And you're going to bed now as a result of your little tempest this afternoon."

"Aww, Dad, come on! I'm not tired now."

"So count sheep or dragons or something. Bed, Mr. Snape. Now."

Harry opened his mouth to protest again.

"One more word and you'll have this same bedtime for a week," his father warned. "Now get!"

Harry quickly shut his mouth, sensing his father meant what he said. When didn't he ever? But he couldn't resist shooting the man a Snape-like scowl before he turned to leave.

You're pushing it, brat! Severus thought, then reached out and swatted the impudent child on the bottom.

Harry jumped, though the swat didn't really hurt. It was more of a warning-shape up or else!

Harry understood and beat a hasty retreat to his bedroom. You only got so many chances with Severus Snape, after all.

When his father came in later to check on Harry, he found the boy fast asleep with Rosie snuggled next to him. Severus smiled. If Lily were here she'd be taking a picture, he thought wistfully.

Then he summoned her camera and snapped one. It was time to make a new photo album.

The End.
End Notes:
What did you think of Severus's treatment of Harry? Was it a fair punishment? And yes--those darn beagles are really cute bundles of trouble!

I won't be updating for awhile, since I'm going on vacation to FL--ah sunshine! Please R&R though!

When I get back I'll post the next chapter, where Harry makes a new wizard friend his own age and they get into even more trouble, of course!


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1507