Hide Yourself From A Prisoner by Snapegirl
Summary: Sequel to Hide Yourself Away! Please read or skim that first before you read this one, or else you’ll be quite lost.

Harry and Severus return to Hogwarts to finish out the third year, and encounter more problems, in the form of an escaped convict and a meddlesome Headmaster, but are aided by new and old friends to discover a truth that was hidden away.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Hermione, Original Character, Remus, Ron, Sirius, Wormtail
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Azkaban Character
Takes Place: 4th summer
Warnings: Physical Punishment Spanking, Profanity, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: Hidden Away
Chapters: 26 Completed: Yes Word count: 119980 Read: 128881 Published: 27 Mar 2008 Updated: 19 Apr 2008
Patronus Rising by Snapegirl
Author's Notes:
The aftermath of the Quidditch game
& Lupin teaches the Patronus spell to our hero.
 

Remus Lupin had never moved so fast in his life as he did that Saturday afternoon when his godson and niece plummeted sixty feet from the air into a coven of dementors. He heard Severus's anguished howl in the back of his head, even as he vaulted over the side of the stands and floated swiftly down some thirty feet to the ground, landing lightly on his feet. 

"Aria!" he yelled, pointing his wand at the mass of dementors.  Adrenaline flowed through him, and his normally gentle features took on a savage cast, his dark eyes lightening almost to the yellow of the wolf's as he drew on the were nature.  He usually kept that side caged and sleeping when he wore his human shape, but now the children's peril pulled the beast from him, and he allowed it to surface.

"Expecto Patronum!" he howled and a silver wolf erupted from his wand, springing towards the dementors with a howl. 

The silver wolf struck the knot of dementors and tore into them with a fury, sending several of them shrieking and hissing into the dark void that had spawned them.  Remus had  a powerful Patronus, but even the wolf was not enough to vanquish the entire horde.

But then the wolf was joined by a soaring white phoenix as Dumbledore called his own Patronus forth from the stands and the phoenix set a third of the shadowy creatures fleeing. 

At the same moment, Severus's hastily constructed Excelsior Shield bubble managed to enfold the unconscious Harry and Aria, absorbing the greater force of their impact with the ground, so they landed without killing themselves or breaking bones. 

The dementors closed on the pair, eager to feed on the helpless children, but Severus's silver doe Patronus sprang down and straddled them, glowing and brilliant, like moonlight ice. The doe stamped her hooves at a dementor who got too close, sending the thing shooting backwards, emitting a strange high-pitched cry. 

Between the three master wizards, the dementors were soon dispersed and the dreadful cloud of fear and hopelessness was lifted from the stadium. 

As the fog of despair drifted away, Aria regained consciousness rapidly, her shape-slipper resilience enabling her to shake off the aftereffects of the dementor aura.  She blurred from hawk to human and sat up, blinking and rubbing her eyes, feeling as if she'd just woken up from a nightmare.

She glanced around, finding herself in the middle of the Quidditch pitch and for an instant she did not know how she had come to be there.  Then her memory returned, slamming into her with the force of a ton of bricks and she gasped and looked about for Harry.

Harry, whom she'd been holding onto in hawk shape before she'd blacked out.

She located him almost immediately, lying curled in the grass next to her, one hand still clutching his broom. 

Before she could see if he was still breathing, a familiar black cloaked figure threw himself down next to Harry's prone form and began to run a diagnostic charm.  Severus's face was as white as she'd ever seen on a man who was not one of the walking dead, but his hands were steady as he quickly felt his son over from head to toe, not quite trusting his spell casting. 

"Professor, is he-?" she did not finish that sentence because the next instant she was being lifted into her uncle's arms and crushed against his chest.

"Aria, Aria!" he was chanting brokenly, nearly smothering her with his hug. "Are you all right? Can you speak to me, honey?"

"Aghk! Uncle Remmy . . .I . . .can't . . .breathe!" she gasped.

"Oh," Remus immediately loosened his grip, setting her down on the ground, but he kept his hands on her shoulders.  "Are you okay, do you hurt anywhere?"

Slowly, Aria shook her head.  The Excelsior had cushioned her fall and the only thing she had were bruises, but those were minor.  "N-No.  I'm okay, I think.  Nothing feels broken."

"Thank God! When I saw you fall, I almost . . ." Remus began, then he swallowed sharply, unable to continue. 

"How's Harry?" Aria asked then.

"He's still unconscious, but he has no major injuries that I can determine," answered Severus.  "Still, I want Poppy to examine him, just to be sure." He conjured a stretcher with a snap of his fingers and levitated his son onto it. Rosie appeared out of the mist that was still drifting about and jumped up on the stretcher, lying on top of her comatose master.

Relief was rapidly being replaced by anger as Remus realized that his niece was unharmed.  Suddenly his grip on her shoulders tightened painfully and he started shaking her sharply and yelling, "Bloody hell, girl, what did you think you were playing at, going after Harry like that, right into the teeth of those dementors? D'you have any idea how it felt to watch you falling like that, you stupid, reckless, insane child? I nearly had bloody heart failure, Aria Lenore Lupin! How DARE you risk your life that way? You're just like your Goddamn father, I swear to God, you almost DIED out there-!"

He was practically spitting, he was so furious, and he was shaking poor Aria so hard the girl was white, and tears were spilling unnoticed from her amber eyes.

"Lupin!" shouted Severus, grabbing his friend by the shoulder and yanking hard.  "Moony, for Merlin's sake, get hold of yourself! You're out of control, Remus, look at what you're doing to the girl!"

Severus's sharp words penetrated the fuge of anger about Remus's brain and he slowly released his niece, only then realizing he was shaking the girl like a dog shaking a rat.  "Merlin, I didn't mean . . .what's wrong with me, Sev?"

"You're experiencing a delayed emotional reaction, Moony.  Parental hysteria," said the Potions Master dryly. "Now get hold of yourself, Lupin and if you're going to scream and scold the poor girl, be kind enough to do it inside, where the whole school's not watching."

Severus's words, though spoken quietly, had a sharp edge to them that pricked the werewolf's conscience sharply.  He winced and said, "Aria, forgive me . . .I didn't mean to flip out on you . . .but dear sweet Merlin I thought I was going to watch you die for a few horrible minutes, like you watched Rene . . ."

Aria sniffled, whispering brokenly, "Sorry, Uncle Remmy . . .I didn't mean to scare you, I just wanted to save Harry!"

"I know, hush, don't cry . . ." Remus wrapped an arm about her and began to walk back towards the castle, ignoring the whispers and gasps behind him as the students stared after them.  It was the first time they'd ever seen their mild mannered Defense teacher lose his cool and actually raise his voice, much less send a whole horde of dementors packing.

"Wicked!"

"Absolutely awesome, that Lupin!" sighed a girl dreamily.

"And what about Professor Snape? He thrashed a whole bloody coven of them too."

"Who was the phoenix?"

"The Headmaster, I think . . ."

"You reckon Snape is okay?"

"Thought he was a goner for sure . . ."

Those words, spoken by a girl standing next to Lavender Brown, caused Hermione to burst into tears and flee the pitch, followed a moment later by Ron.

"Hermione, wait up!" he called, running to catch up with her.

She was weeping softly, not caring who saw her.  "Oh, Ron! He nearly died today and-and just think if he had, he'd have gone thinking we hated him!"

Ron went white as chalk as Hermione's words hit him with the force of a Bludger to the head.  "Merlin!  I . . .I never . . .you're right, Mione.  I was so angry . . .that stupid quarrel . . .now it all seems so pointless . . .if he'd . . .you know . . .I wouldn't ever have the chance to talk to him and tell him what a dumb ass I've been . . .it'd have been bloody dreadful!"

"Tell me about it! I was a stuck-up git too, letting a misunderstanding come between me and one of my best friends," Hermione sniffled, wiping away tears with the sleeve of her robe.  "I was mad about Crookshanks, but also jealous that he liked Aria Lupin."

Ron's jaw dropped.  "You were? Hermione, I never knew you had feelings for Harry that way!"

Hermione hit herself in the forehead.  "Merlin's socks, Ron! I never said that!"

"You did! You said you were jealous ‘cause Harry liked Aria instead of you."

"No, listen to me. I was jealous of Aria because she could do wandless magic and I couldn't.  I'm not used to, uh, being second-best . . ." Hermione admitted, blushing furiously.  "I didn't like it at all, and so I started avoiding Harry and Aria both, though Harry offered to teach me wandless magic too. Then there was the problem with Scabbers getting eaten or vanishing or whatever and . . . and it was easier to blame Harry than to admit that I was . . .jealous."

Ron gave her a searching glance.  "You sure that's all it is?"

"Of course it is! I was jealous of Aria for a-a purely academic reason."

"Then you don't, uh, want to go out with Harry?"

"Ronald Weasley! When did I ever give the impression that I-I liked Harry that, uh, way? Because I don't.  He's like a-a brother to me and I don't feel the least bit . . .um . . .attracted to him that way." Hermione stated firmly, her cheeks bright pink.

"Oh" Ron heaved a sigh, vastly relieved.  "Okay.  It's just, well, you were crying and all over him, so I just thought maybe, you . . .er . . .liked him a lot."

"Boys!" Hermione sighed exasperatedly.  "Ron, I was upset at possibly losing my best friend or my brother, so of course I was crying.  Wouldn't you cry if one of your brothers was hurt and maybe dying?"

"Depends which one," Ron answered cheekily.  "If it were the twins or Charlie, then sure, but I'd never cry over Percy, the arrogant prat . . ."

"Whatever, Ron.  Come on, let's go to the Hospital Wing, maybe Madam Pomfrey will take pity on us and tell us how Harry is."

Ron followed the bushy-haired witch, trying to puzzle out why her declaration that she wasn't in love with Harry pleased him so much.

 

Severus paced back and forth in front of Harry's bed in the infirmary, his black robes swishing against his ankles as he fought to keep his temper and not scream at Dumbledore like a maniac.  He had been reassured by Poppy that Harry was not in a coma, just unconscious from the trauma he'd endured from the dementors' aura.  "I'll give him plenty of chocolate to drink and eat when he wakes, Sev.  Now quit pacing like a caged panther, you're wearing a path in my floor."

Severus had sat down in the chair next to his son's bed, trying to make sense of how on earth the dementors had gotten access to the grounds in such numbers and why they had affected Harry so profoundly.  The second question was easier to answer than the first, because Severus knew all too well what sorrow his son harbored in the depths of his soul.  Harry had endured more tragedy than any boy should've, and it had scarred him.  Thus, he was especially vulnerable to the dementor's aura of hopelessness and despair.

But he still had no answers to his first question  until the Headmaster had come down to the Hospital Wing to check on Poppy's most recent patient.  It was then that Severus had jumped out of his chair and proceeded to demand an answer to his question. 

Dumbledore's reply, that the dementors were here in such numbers because the Minister of Magic had ordered it, was very dissatisfying.  "We don't need them around in such numbers, Albus.  It's a disaster waiting to happen.  No, not waiting-has happened, since they were a direct cause of Harry falling off of his broom.   Not to mention Aria Lupin collapsing as well.  Now what are you going to bloody do about it, Albus? This never should have happened! Those damn creatures need to be controlled and forbidden to come onto the school grounds.  Otherwise the next time they could kill someone."

"I realize that, Severus, believe me, and I loathe them as much as you do, but the Minister insists they be posted here until Sirius Black is caught.  My hands are tied, my boy.  I can do what I can to limit their presence, but I cannot banish them utterly."

"Damn it, Albus!" Severus swore furiously.  "Those specters nearly killed my son! If I had been one second too slow with my countercharm or Aria a shade less slow to grab Harry, he would be lying in a casket right now.  And there would go all your hopes for a champion to defeat Voldemort," Severus pointed out coldly.  "I want you to notify the Minister, tell Fudge that his so called "guards" are more trouble than they're worth, and do more harm than good."

Albus sighed, his eyes dark and grave.  "I shall tell Cornelius of your concerns and hope he allows me to limit the dementors to half their number, which should be more than adequate to capture Black if they find him."

"You hope, Albus?" snapped the Potions Master.  "Just tell Fudge and that's the end of it.  He was your student once too and I'm sure he still respects you as an authority figure, so act like one, blast it, and tell him that if he endangers any more of your students, you'll have his head on a platter.  I guarantee he'll jump and then ask you how high."

Albus considered.  Severus knew Cornelius, the man was a cautious politician, a fence-sitter, and if faced with concentrated opposition from one of the most powerful wizards in Britain, the man would fold.  "Very well, my boy.  I will speak to Cornelius this evening.  And have no fear the dementors will harm any other student, Severus, for I have sent them outside the grounds into the Forbidden Forest.  Harry is safe here, you need not worry about that, Severus."

The Potions Master snorted, but remained silent, though he was not particularly reassured by the Headmaster's words.  Once before Harry had gone to the brink of death while his father had watched helplessly, and he had vowed it would never occur again.  Except it nearly had, and Severus began to fear he was unable to provide adequate protection for his son. 

The Meteor had several safety charms built into it, yet none of them had activated when Harry was falling off his broom.  Nor could it be defective, since Severus had inspected the broom himself just prior to the match.  No something had happened to it, and Severus vowed he'd get to the bottom of this mess, if it killed him.

"I want Harry's broom tested by Filius and Minerva, Albus.  I think someone tampered with it, since when I purchased it I had several safety charms cast upon it, and today all of them failed.  That's impossible unless someone cancelled them and put jinxes in their place.  Like Black or one of his supporters."

"Severus, I highly doubt Sirius would be interesting in hexing his godson's broom."

Severus fixed the Headmaster with an icy glare, longing to take the stubborn old man and shake him until his teeth rattled.  Even now, he still defended Black, when the man was a convict and a murderer.  "First off, Headmaster, Black was never Harry's real godfather, only a stand-in for Remus under James.  And who the hell knows what the man's capable of now? You didn't think him capable of betraying his best friend and my wife all those years ago, and he did.  He's had eleven years of Azkaban, do you really think he's still sane?  I don't.  I'm going to find whoever hexed Harry's broom if it's the last thing I do, and when I do the bastard better start praying, because he's going to meet his Maker sooner than he'd like!"

"Severus, you're letting your temper color your judgment," began Dumbledore placatingly.  "Having a father arrested on murder charges is not what Harry needs right now."

Severus's hands clenched hard beneath the sleeves of his robe and he forced himself to take one deep breath after another, until his anger was under control.  "True, but I want whoever is responsible for this to pay for it, no matter who they are."

"Fear not, Severus.  Justice will be done."

The Potions Master nodded curtly, uncertain whether or not to believe his mentor.  Once he would never have questioned Dumbledore when he spoke, but after what he had done to Harry and himself, Severus found it very hard to place his trust in the older wizard again.  "It had better be," was all he said, then he turned and sat back down in the chair next to Harry's bedside to keep vigil until his son awoke.

 

Meanwhile, in Remus's apartments, Aria was sitting on her uncle's comfortable beige sectional, wrapped in a fluffy pink terrycloth robe (it had once belonged to her mother Alessa), and a large fuzzy maroon blanket as well.  In one hand she had a large bar of Honeydukes's best chocolate and the other had a large mug of hot cocoa. 

Chocolate was a standard remedy for those affected by a dementor's aura, it helped alleviate the fear and despair the hooded creatures projected. Aria had never been so terrified in her life, and she had seen plenty of dangerous creatures as the daughter of a leading Magical Creatures biologist and journalist.  But nothing had ever prepared her for the awful soul-wrenching fear the dementor caused in her.  She was still shivering from its' icy touch, in spite of the blankets, the cocoa and the blazing fireplace.

          Remus came and sat down beside her then, looking extremely wan and exhausted.  "Aria, how are you feeling?"

          "Better, Uncle Remmy.  Just before I passed out totally, I saw some weird silver animals, like ghosts.  But the animals fought the dementors, I think.  Where did they come from?"

          "Those weren't animals, love, they were Patronus's," Lupin explained, leaning back on the couch and putting his feet up on the coffee table.  "Mine, Sev's, and Dumbledore's, I believe.  Did your old master or Renee ever go over them with you?"

          Aria shook her head, utterly mystified.  "Is that some kind of summoning? Did you all call up spirits or something?"

          "Uh, no.  Not the way you mean.  A Patronus is a charm cast by a wizard to combat the fear aura a dementor emits, it's the exact opposite of a dementor, filled with hope and light and happiness.  Dementors feed off those emotions, but they can't feed off a Patronus because it can't feel despair, and that's why it can defeat a dementor.  It's a kind of guardian, and each one is unique to the wizard casting it."

          "Oh.  Which one was yours?"

          "The wolf, of course.  Sev was the silver doe and Albus's was the phoenix. A strong Patronus can not only drive off dementors, but it can act as a messenger from one wizard to another or a sort of guardian for a time." Remus eyed her worriedly.  "Are you sure you're all right, Aria? Maybe I ought to have Madam Pomfrey take a look at you, just to be sure."

          "I'm fine, Uncle Remmy.  I swear.  All I've got are a few bruises on my legs, back, and arms."

          "May I see? I have some bruise balm Sev gave me, I can put some on you."

          "Okay," she agreed, sensing he wouldn't leave her be until he had satisfied himself that she was okay.  He tended to fuss over her like a mother hen.  She shrugged out of the robe and rolled up her sleeves, displaying her lightly tanned and wiry muscled arms.  Halfway up her upper arm was a darkening ring of bruises.

          Remus summoned the bruise balm from his cabinet in the adjoining bathroom and removed the lid.  "This won't hurt, but it might tingle a bit and feel cold," he said, then bent to apply it to the bruises, only then realizing that they resembled . . .fingerprints. 

          The Defense teacher went pale in horror.  "Oh dear Merlin! Those look like . . . my fingerprints.  Did I do that? I'm so sorry, Aria! I never meant . . ." His eyes were wide with shock and remorse, he hadn't wanted to hurt her, but he'd been so angry and afraid . . .the werewolf nature still awakened in his blood, that he hadn't realized his own strength.  No wonder Severus had yelled at him for acting like a raving lunatic.

          "It's okay.  I know you didn't mean it.  Weres don't know their own strength sometimes, my dad used to say."

          "Maybe so, but I should've known better." He looked at the black and blue ring about the girl's upper arms, where his hands had gripped and shaken her and felt sick to his stomach.  What kind of beast left marks like that upon a little girl? "I'm sorry," he repeated, lowering his eyes in shame.  "I can't believe Rene made me your guardian," he muttered, half to himself.  "I'm not a fit parent for a cat, let alone a child."

          "That's not true!"

          "No? What kind of parent leaves bruises like that on their kid?"

          "It was an accident.  You didn't mean it, Uncle Remmy.  You were freaked out and you just lost it for a minute.  They don't hurt, not really."

          Remus shook his head.  "That's not the point.  It shouldn't have happened, Aria mine.  I promise, it'll never happen again." He gently lifted her arm and began to apply the salve.

          "Why does chocolate counteract the dementors' aura?" she queried while he smeared the balm on her arms.

          "The dementors project an aura of despair and hopelessness, since they can't feel any other emotions.  Chocolate's an anti-depressant."

          "Why were they there in the first place?"

          "I don't know, Aria.  They weren't supposed to be on the grounds unless Sirius Black was sighted, but they came anyway.  And they were drawn to Harry for some God-unknown reason."

          Aria suppressed another shiver at the wraith-like creatures, they reminded her of the bogeyman her mother used to threaten her with if she misbehaved when she was little.  "Uncle Remmy? Do the dementors make you, uh, see visions?"

          "What do you mean?" He had finished with her arms and she turned about and let him put some salve on her back as well, which was sore from crashing into the ground, despite the charm Severus had cast. 

          "Well, before I, uh, blacked out, I saw my dad again . . .and the chimera too, the way he was just before she killed him . . .I could hear him screaming and I was screaming too . . ."

          "Lord, child.  You relived that?" Remus couldn't stand it anymore.  He set the salve on the table and wrapped his arms about the girl, hugging her to his chest.  "No wonder you passed out.  Honey, you've experienced some awful things in your past, and stuff like that is a dementor's meat and drink.  They draw it out of you, so that's all you can feel or remember.  That's how they drive the prisoners of Azkaban insane, by sucking all the hope and happy thoughts out of them."

          "Do they affect everyone that way?"

          "No.  Usually they make you scared and shaking, but it's rare they cause flashbacks, unless you've suffered a great tragedy, which you have.  That's why you blacked out, and probably why Harry did also.  He lost his mum when he was a baby and witnessed her being killed by Voldemort." He held his niece close and rocked her gently.  "When I saw you falling from the sky . . .I damn near died myself.  All I could think of was how Rene would kill me if I let you die and I refused to let that happen.  I was so scared I performed a levitation charm on myself, which isn't supposed to be possible." Here the werewolf grinned proudly. "Guess it's true what they say about fear being a great motivator."

           "I'm sorry I scared you to death."

          "You should be, young lady," he scolded.  "Next time you decide to play heroine and rescue someone, warn me first.  So I can have a heart attack right then and there.  Because if you ever scare me like that again, Aria Lenore, I'll take you over my knee."

          Her eyes widened.  "You've gotta be kidding! Thirteen's too old to spank, Uncle Remmy."

          He slanted her a warning look.  "Mark me, girl, you scare the daylights out of me again with any foolish heroics and I'll warm your bum good and proper, thirteen or not.  You don't ever risk your life that way, understand? You're all I've got and I can't lose you like I lost my brother.  Then I'd really go mad, like a true werewolf."

          "Honest? You care about me that much?"

          He tilted her chin up until he was staring directly into her amber eyes. "Aria, I love you, kid, like you were my own daughter. And I always will, no matter what."

          His words, spoken so calmly and honestly, touched her profoundly.  She had feared that she was a burden to him, the relative thrust upon him by a brother he barely knew.  She had been afraid that secretly he hated her, the odd shape-slipper child, one more black mark to add to his already tarnished reputation.  But his heartfelt declaration filled her with joy and she threw her arms about him and hugged him tight, the way she used to do to her father when she was small, before he said she was too big for such displays of affection. 

          "I love you too, Uncle Remmy.  I'm glad Dad made you my guardian, and not some cousin in Australia."

          Remus hugged her back for a long moment, reveling in the closeness, which was rare for one such as he, few people had the courage to touch a werewolf, as if afraid his curse would rub off on them. 

          "What cousin in Australia?"

          "I don't know, but sometimes when I was bad, Dad used to threaten to ship me off to Australia to live with my nasty cousin.  So I'm glad he didn't make whoever it was my guardian," she explained.

          Remus laughed.  "Aria, sweetie, there was no cousin for him to send you to.  Our mum used to threaten us with that when we misbehaved. Whenever I acted up, she used to say "If you don't shape up, Remus John Lupin, I'm shipping you off to Australia with all the other naughty children."  It used to scare me silly, and I listened after that, because I didn't want to leave my family. Looks like it worked on Rene too, if he used it on you."

          She stared at him in shock.  "Madre de Dios!" she exclaimed, using one of Master Velasquez's favorite expressions.  "And here I thought there really was some cousin over there and all the time it was a lie.  Real nice, Dad!"

          Remus chuckled at her indignant expression.  "Yeah, well, Rene always did enjoy a good joke." He ruffled her hair.

          "Some joke," his niece muttered, annoyed.  Then she sighed and asked, "That Patronus thing, can you show me how it's done? I don't want to run into anymore dementors and pass out again."

          "It's very advanced magic, Aria.  Most third years can't master it at all." He warned. 

          "But you'll let me try, right?" she gave him one her best puppy-dog faces.  "Please? I'd rather not die of embarrassment before I graduate."

          It was the eyes that did it.  He could never resist a woman who looked that way.  "All right.  I'll try and teach you the Patronus Charm.  Harry too, if he wants to learn."

          She grinned happily.  "Great! When can we start?"

          "Not till we both get a good night's sleep and I'm sure you're healed all the way.  Then we'll see." He kissed the top of her forehead.  "You ought to get some sleep, cub."

          Aria nodded.  "Okay.  Night, Uncle Remmy."

          "Good night, Aria.  Pleasant dreams.  If you need me, I'll be right here."

          She slipped off his lap then and went towards the door only to halt when he asked where she was going.

          "Back to my dorm, why?"

          "Because after what you've been through, you're entitled to sleep here if you like."

          Her eyes lit up.  "Really? Thanks, Uncle Remmy.  Some of the girls in my room snore and it keeps me awake sometimes.  You don't, do you?"

          "No, at least I don't think so."

          "Good.  Then I'll get a decent night's rest," she declared happily and turned about and headed back to the couch.

 

Back in the Hospital Wing, Ron and Hermione pestered Poppy until she agreed to let them see Harry for a few minutes.  "But he's asleep and you're not to wake him, is that understood? Else I'll strip the hide off you and hang you out to dry."

"We'll be quiet, Madam Pomfrey," Hermione promised. 

"Like shadows," added Ron.

The medi-witch snorted, then allowed them to pass into her inner sanctum.

Harry was the only occupant at this time, so the two Gryffindors quickly made their way over to his bed.  They almost jumped out of their skin when Professor Snape arose from his chair to frown at them. 

"Professor!" gasped Hermione.  "We, uh, didn't see you there!"

"Obviously," he drawled flatly.  "What brings you two here?"

Ron swallowed then said, "We, uh, came to see Harry.  To-to make sure he wasn't hurt really bad or anything, sir."

"People were saying that he might be . . .you know . . .dead," whispered Hermione, blinking sharply.

"You shouldn't believe everything you hear, Miss Granger.  Rumors aren't always true.  Trust the evidence of your own eyes."

Ron reddened, guessing what the Potions Master was getting at. "Right.  Uh, will he be waking up soon?"

"By tomorrow, he should be recovered," Severus told them.  "You may speak to him then, if you wish.  Right now, however, he must rest, his body is exhausted from the game as well as the dementors' aura."

"But he will be all right, won't he, sir?" Hermione persisted.

"Yes, Miss Granger.  He suffered no lasting damage from his fall, thank God."

Hermione heaved a vast sigh of relief.  "I'm so glad, because that would've been awful.  When can we come back and see him, Professor?"

"After breakfast," said Severus swiftly.  "He ought to be awake then and probably itching to get out of here."

Ron laughed.  "Yeah, Harry hates being in here.  Says it's too boring and all that."

The Potions professor's mouth twitched into a half-smile at the boy's words.  "Indeed, Mr. Weasley.  Harry has no patience when it comes to getting well.  He wants it to happen all at once."

"Like another wizard I could name," put in Poppy.

Severus rolled his eyes.  "In any case, you may return tomorrow.  Now, I suggest you get back to your common room, now that your curiosity has been satisfied."

"Yes sir." Ron said respectfully and then he turned and went out, followed by Hermione. 

Severus went over to the bed and laid a hand gently on his son's forehead.  It was cool with no signs of fever.  Severus hoped there would be no more visitors that night and settled himself back in the chair.

"Severus, you can take the bed next to him, if you want," Poppy said.  "You'll get stiff as a board sleeping that way."

Snape thought about it, then nodded.  He didn't relish sleeping in a chair all night.  He took off his robes and boots and stretched out on the bed next to his slumbering son.  Within moments, he too, was asleep.

 

"When can I get out of here, Dad?" Harry asked almost as soon as he opened his eyes the next morning. 

"As soon as Madam Pomfrey says," was all his father replied.

The thirteen-year-old scowled.  "But I feel fine.  I'm just sore, well anybody would be after they smashed into the ground that way."

"Yes, that's to be expected," agreed Snape.  "You're lucky that's all you are, son." He ran a hand thorough his dark hair agitatedly.  "You almost . . ." he didn't finish that sentence but they both knew how it ended. 

I almost died.  Again, Harry thought.  By now, his near-death experiences had become almost . . .routine.  "What happened after I, uh, passed out?"

Snape filled him in on the aftermath and Harry nodded then said, "Guess Slytherin won the game, huh?"

"Who gives a bloody damn about Quidditch?" growled his father.  "Actually, the game ended once the dementors came on the field."

"So there will probably be a rematch then?" Harry asked.

"I would assume so."

"Good, because I would've caught the Snitch if those stupid wraiths hadn't shown up. Stupid bloody-"

"Harrison Remus Snape! If I hear one more swear word come out of your mouth, you'll have soap for breakfast."

Harry quickly shut his mouth, he could tell his father wasn't kidding from the look on his face.  "Sorry," he mumbled.  Damn it, why couldn't he learn to think before he spoke? It was if his mouth worked independently of his brain sometimes. 

Severus drew his wand and waved it over his son while murmuring a diagnostic charm.  "Hmmm.  You've got quite a bit of bruising on your back, ribs, and right thigh, but otherwise there are no bones broken or internal injuries."

"See? I told you, I'm fine.  Now can I get up? I really need to go," Harry said, squirming uncomfortably.

"Go, but then you're to get right back in bed, no arguments."

"Aww, Dad!"

"Harry, I mean it," said his father severely.  "You might feel well physically, but you've had a terrible shock and you need to rest for awhile.  Now, will you promise me you'll listen, or do I have to spell your bladder empty and tie you to the bed?"

"Dad!" Harry was horrified.  "Okay, I promise! You don't need to go all snarky on me." Then he scrambled out of the bed and ran to the bathroom.

Three minutes later he was back in bed, rather grumpy, but he sure as blazes wasn't going to test Snape to see if he meant what he'd said earlier.

"Thank you," Severus said, then motioned for his son to turn over so he could put some bruise balm on him.

Face flaming, the boy obeyed, though it really wasn't too bad, Severus was very gentle and afterwards Harry admitted silently he felt much better.  And he'd rather his father tend him than Poppy, it was ten times less embarrassing.

In fact, Madam Pomfrey came in shortly afterwards, ran her own series of charms, gave Harry a pain reliever, some chocolate, and then said he could have breakfast.  "After you've eaten and taken a nap, you may go, Harry," she said, anticipating his question even before he spoke.

Her patient silently thanked Merlin and all the angels for that bit of mercy.  He was all too intimate with the walls and beds of the Hospital Wing. 

Harry had just finished eating his scrambled eggs, toast, bacon, and a mug of hot cocoa when Hermione and Ron walked in.  He quickly let Rosie finish off what was left and Severus excused himself, leaving the three alone to talk.

"Er . . .hi, Harry," began Ron awkwardly, looking down at his shoelaces.

"How are you feeling?" asked Hermione, also not really looking at him.

"Fine.  I wasn't really hurt," Harry reassured them.  "Madam Pomfrey says I can leave after I take a nap." He stroked Rosie, who licked his hand.

Ron lifted his head and looked at Harry and the dog.  "Uh . . .look, I just wanted say that, uh, I'm sorry I acted like such an idiot over Scabbers.  Maybe you were right and he's not dead after all.  Pretty dumb, huh?"

"Very," agreed Harry.  "But it's okay.  I forgive you.  And so does Rosie."

Ron smiled, relieved that Harry didn't seem inclined to hold grudges.

"I'm sorry too," Hermione said then.  "I overreacted that night and well, I'm just glad you're okay, Harry.  Friends?"

"Friends," Harry smiled, relieved that his two best friends had finally come to their senses. 

"You know, you really scared us, Harry.  We thought you were dead, after you fell off that way," Hermione told him feelingly.  "It wasn't until your father conjured a stretcher that we realized you weren't."

"Yeah, the dementors were all over you, mate."

Harry shuddered.  "Who made them leave?" he asked, though he really wanted to know why he'd heard his mum's voice screaming.

"Uh, Professor Lupin, your dad, and Dumbledore all attacked them." Ron told him. "They were using some kind of charm I never heard of. But whatever it was worked and the dementors were driven away. It was bloody amazing!"

Hermione even agreed with that, and the three friends spent a good hour and a half talking until Madam Pomfrey ordered them away so Harry could get some much needed rest. 

Harry was inclined to grumble a bit at the matron, but stopped when his father gave him a warning look and waved his wand.  "Close your eyes and go to sleep, Harry."

"Okay, Dad," the boy huffed and then shut his eyes.  A moment later he felt a hand run through his hair and gently rub his back.  It felt good, though he knew he was far too old for such gestures.  Still . . .

Harry snuggled under the covers and allowed his father's soothing touch to send him to sleep, just the way he had when he was two.  Some things never changed.

 

"Professor, that's not a real dementor in there, is it?" Harry queried nervously of Lupin as he stood before a locked trunk in the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom. 

"No, it's just a boggart, Harry," answered the older wizard, amused.  "But it'll become a dementor for you and Aria, which will serve just as well.  Now, remember the incantation is Expecto Patronum! And as you say it, think of the happiest memory you can.  Hold that thought uppermost in your mind as you say the spell and your Patronus should appear from your wand. Are you ready? Good! On three. One. Two. Three!"

Lupin threw open the trunk and a shadowy hooded figure emerged, hissing malevolently.

Harry and Aria both pointed their wands at it and shouted, "Expecto patronum!"

But to their dismay, the only thing that came out of their wands was a bit of silver vapor that curled about the dementor before evaporating as the wraith surged forward.

Before it could overwhelm the two, Lupin drove it back with a hasty, "Riddikulus!" and it crept back into the trunk.

He turned back to his students.  "Not bad for a first try.  Most third-years couldn't even do a mist."

"But it wasn't enough, Uncle Remmy!" Aria said, glaring at her wand disgustedly. "I might as well have been spitting on it."

"Aria, this spell is very advanced, you can't expect to get it right the first time. No one I know of, except maybe Severus, ever has.  Shall we try again?"

"Yes, please," said Harry, backing up and pointing his wand at the trunk again.  It seemed as if he would have to think of a better thought than coming to Hogwarts the first time.  He concentrated again.

Lupin counted, the trunk flew open, and the boggart emerged, morphing into a dementor as soon as it faced them, for after what had almost happened Saturday, both of them were terrified of the creatures.  It had been three days since the Quidditch match, and Harry had agreed to take private lessons with his godfather in how to conjure a Patronus as well.

So far, the lessons were not going very well.

This time the silvery mist was more pronounced, but that was all.

Three more times they tried and failed to conjure a decent Patronus, and after that, Lupin handed them each a large hunk of chocolate to combat the sudden trembling and fear they felt from the false dementor's aura.

"Uncle Remmy, it's a boggart, not a true dementor, so why do I still feel like I was facing a dementor?" asked Aria as she ate her chocolate.

"Because illusion is a powerful thing, Aria," answered her uncle.  "Your mind believes a dementor is there, and therefore you experience all the sensations of facing one, including the dreadful fear and despair.  That is a boggart's special magic, and it's not one to sneer at.  Your mind is a powerful thing, even when it is mistaken. Illusions can be deadly if you believe they are real."

Harry was getting exhausted, but he stubbornly refused to quit until he'd managed at least a halfway decent Patronus.  He wracked his brain for a suitably happy memory.  There weren't many of them from his childhood.  Then he recalled a hazy memory of his mum and dad together, with his dad holding him and rocking him to sleep.  He closed his eyes, remembering the way it had felt to be held-warm and safe and surrounded by his father's solid strength and his mother's voice, singing softly.  He had fallen asleep listening to her and snuggled against Severus's shoulder, happy and loved unconditionally.

Yes.  That would do.

Holding the memory tightly, he pointed his wand again.

"One.  Two. Three!"

The boggart exploded out of the trunk.

"Expecto Patronum!" Harry yelled, focusing hard on the memory, echoed an instant later by his friend.

This time, a silvery vapor coalesced from his wand and took a dim hazy shape in the air that resembled nothing so much as a beagle sniffing. 

The Patronus walked up to the false dementor and bayed softly.

The dementor halted, puzzled, then kept on coming, for it was not affected by the Patronus since it was a boggart.

Lupin snapped out the countercharm and locked it away.

"Very good, Harry!" praised the Defense teacher.  "You managed a nearly full manifestation that time. Hold that thought."

Aria scowled in frustration.  She had only managed a few wispy blobs that time.  "Maybe I'd do better without a wand."

Lupin looked thoughtful.  "Perhaps.  Try again without it, and this time focus, child." He motioned for Harry to back away, letting Aria confront the boggart alone this time.

Aria tucked her wand away and pointed her finger at the dementor rising from the trunk and this time her Patronus was more pronounced, though Harry couldn't quite identify it, except that it looked like it had wings.

"Better! We'll try some more tomorrow," said Lupin.  "Here.  Eat this, before you keel over, Harry.  Otherwise Sev will have my head."

Harry took the large chocolate bar Lupin held out and ate it blissfully.  It was the best chocolate he'd ever tasted.

Lupin seemed pleased with the results of their first lesson, though he could tell Aria was not satisfied.  Still, they had plenty of time to practice the rest of the week. 

"Aria, this weekend is a Hogsmead visit, right?" Harry asked once he'd swallowed his chocolate.

The girl nodded. "Yeah.  It'll be the first one I go to, since I missed last month's.  I can't wait.  Mandy says it's a lot of fun there, shopping and eating at the little restaraunts and stuff."

"Ron says there's joke shop there and a sweet shop too."

"Yes, Zonkos and Honeydukes," clarified Remus.  "But you can only go, Harry, if Severus signs a form permitting it.  Has he?"

"Uh, I don't know.  Guess I'll ask him tonight." Harry said, then he and Aria headed off to dinner together.

 

 

The End.
End Notes:
Get ready for an argument between Harry & Sev next chapter.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1523