Not Myself Year 1: A Stone and a Discovery by Saerry Snape
Summary: Harry Potter is an orphan raised on the streets of London. But after he finds the mysterious pub called the Leaky Cauldron and a friendly family called the Weasley's he discovers that he's more than just some street rat...
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Fred George, Hermione, Original Character, Other, Ron
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Humor
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Slytherin!Harry
Takes Place: 1st Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys
Challenges: None
Series: Not Myself
Chapters: 16 Completed: Yes Word count: 33304 Read: 134555 Published: 01 Mar 2003 Updated: 01 May 2003
Draco Bashing and General Fun Thingsā€¦. by Saerry Snape

“Is he awake yet?”

“No.”

“Good.”

“Ron?  NO!

“What?  I’m just going to hit him.  Hey, where’d it go?  Harry, how’d you get it?”

Harry twirled the silver plate Ron was going to hit Draco with between his hands and replied, “I was a pickpocket on th’ stree’s.”

“Okay.  That explains that.  So, how long are you in here?”

Harry shrugged and sat the plate on the bedside table beside Hedwig’s statue.  Very reluctantly.

Niamh’s eyebrows knitted together as she frowned slightly.  She asked, “Are you okay?”

“As goo’ as I c’n ge’,” replied Harry darkly, casting a mild glare in Draco’s direction.  Ron shared the glare then turned back to Harry.

“So, what has Snape got you doing?”

“Detention fer a month.  Wi’ Malfoy.”

Niamh’s mouth dropped open and she gasped, “Is he mad?  You two in the same classroom after this?  Alone?  God, I don’t even want to know what he’s thinking!”

“Not very well?” suggested Ron, earning a Look from Niamh.

Harry shook his head at his two friends then turned to Niamh.  “Did ye see a’ the game?  Quirrell?”

Niamh nodded and Ron blinked.

“Hold on.  I saw Snape.  Hermione said he was jinxing your broom.”

Harry arched an eyebrow and asked, “Why wou’ Snape do tha’?  I’m in ‘is House.  And i’ was’n him.  I’ was Quirrell.”

Quirrell?” said Ron in amazement.  Harry nodded.

“Yeh.  Ni saw ‘im.”

“I hexed him too!” said Niamh rather proudly.  Then she said softer, “He looked at me – God, it was horrible.  Worse than Snape when he looks at the Gryffindors.”

Ron blinked at her and breathed, “Your joking.”

“No!”

“That’s bad.  So, why did he do it?”

Both looked back at Harry who frowned.

“Tha’s the quest’n.  Why did ‘e do i‘?”

Niamh and Ron looked at each other then back at Harry.  None of them knew the answer to that question.

/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/

“You may go, Mr. Potter.”

Harry scooped up Hedwig’s statue and Niamh’s book from the table and left the Hospital Wing as quickly as he could.  For some reason he couldn’t stand to be in there.

As classes had already begun the halls were empty as he walked back down to the Slytherin dormitory.  The only living thing he saw on his way was Mrs. Norris, who rubbed up against his leg in a friendly manner.  Harry bent and petted the cat, which had taken a liking to him the first time she had seen him.  After a few moments he rose and walked on, Mrs. Norris following him until he entered the dungeons, where she strayed off down another hall.

Harry crept past Snape’s classroom, where the sounds of Snape berating some hapless Gryffindor third year trailed out.  Shaking his head, he walked on down to where the door to the dormitories was hidden.

“Serpens.”

The stone wall slid aside and Harry entered the dormitory, better known as Arx Serpens.  Heading into the first year boy’s dorms he put Hedwig’s statue and Niamh’s book into his trunk and muttered “Aromahola” over it before grabbing his bag and heading for class.

/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/

“Well, well, Potter.  Fancy seeing you here.”

Harry looked up from his lunch at the drawling voice and a sneer automatically crossed his features.  His eyes narrowed into slits of green fire as he coldly said, “Malfoy.”

Draco’s gray eyes widened for a moment, fear flashing in their depths, then it was gone.  He looked down his nose at Harry, as if the other boy was a piece of dirt.  Several of the Slytherins watched them with wide eyes, obviously remembering what happened last time the two of them were together.

Niamh’s voice broke the glaring contest they were having.

“Leave him, Harry.  He’s not worth it.”

Harry turned from Draco and looked into her blue eyes, saw her silently begging him not to get into another fight.  He nodded slightly and they both rose to leave.  As they left Draco called after them, “The great Harry Potter under the control of a Mudblood!  What will the world come to next?”

Harry’s temper shot up and he pulled out his wand, whirling around and aiming it straight at Draco’s head.  Gasps went up from around the hall and the Slytherins in-between him and Draco moved away quickly.  Niamh reached up and gently grabbed his wrist, pushing it firmly down as she wrenched his wand out of his hand.  She aimed a glare that could have killed at Draco if it were so possible, pocketed Harry’s wand, then frog-marched him out of the hall.

No one noticed Snape staring in wide-eyed wonder at Harry.

/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/

“That prat!  That complete and total braggart!  I’d like to curse that smirk off his sodding face!”

Harry watched Niamh as she paced from one end of the hearthrug to the other, raging about Draco’s behavior.  Everyone else was at dinner, the two of them having skipped it (Harry because of Draco and Niamh because she felt she would curse Draco the next time she saw him).

Suddenly the wall slid aside and Draco entered, grinning smugly at Niamh, who froze in midstep and glared daggers at him before pulling out her wand.  Draco looked at Harry and asked with a smirk, “Going to call her off?”

Harry looked up at Draco’s from under his dark hair – which had fallen in his face – and replied, “Na.  I actually migh’ like ter see yer brains all over da floor.”  He then looked at Niamh and said, “Try na ter ge’ ‘i on the chairs.  I rather like ‘em.”

Niamh smiled – a malicious little smile – and softly said, “Of course, Harry,” as Draco glared at Harry then stared at Niamh in horror.  The dark-haired girl smirked then waved her wand in a vaguely star-shaped pattern before pointing it at Draco.

Dolor Acidus!

Draco went to his knees with a groan and clutched at his stomach.  His gray eyes blazed as he eyed Niamh with a look of pure hatred.  She simply smiled smugly in response then said, “That is what happens when you insult a Mudblood, Malfoy.  You’d do well to remember it next time.”

Harry smirked at her throwing Draco’s insult back in his face then rose to his feet gracefully.

“Ye’d better let ‘im go, Ni.  Would’n wan’ Professor Snape ter suspect anythin’s amiss.”

Niamh nodded and waved her wand again, this time in a reverse star pattern.  Draco rose shakily to his feet, his face flushed pink from the hex, and spat, “You’ll regret that, O’Feir.”

Harry stalked forward in decidedly Snape-like manner and grabbed Draco by the front of his robes, shoving him up against the wall and putting his face in the other boy’s.

“Ye do anyt’ing – and I mean anyt’ing – to Ni and I find out about it, ye’ll end up the Hospital Wing again.  And ye won’t be ou’ till the end o’ the year.  Understand?”

Draco had apparently given up on trying not to look scared of Harry or he simply couldn’t help himself.  Gray eyes wide and face pallid, he nodded fiercely, either too scared to use his tongue or too afraid to.  He knew firsthand what Harry could do in a fight.

Harry sneered (yet again in a very Snape-like manner) and slung Draco around, throwing the other boy backwards into the chair he had just vacated.  He gave him the same look Draco had given him at lunch then turned to Niamh and said, “I’ll see yer later.”

Niamh nodded and smiled at him, the corners of her mouth twitching as it threatened to become a full-fledged grin.  Harry returned the smile then left Arx Serpens, hearing Draco coming behind him.

/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/

As the two entered the Potions classroom, Snape looked up from grading a stack of papers.

“Ah.  I was wondering when you two would show up.  Malfoy, you’ll be sorting those ingredients over there into the ingredients store.  In alphabetical order.”

Draco looked at the large pile of various things and assundry then asked in a rather nasal tone, “What will Potter be doing, sir?”

Snape’s cold, black eyes turned on Draco and he snapped, “That is none of your business, Mr. Malfoy.  Now, to work!

As soon as Draco was busily working, Snape turned to Harry.  He studied the boy for a moment then said, “You, Potter, shall be helping me.  Follow.”  Harry followed him into his office and saw a cauldron sitting on a table, purple flames dancing under it.  Snape pointed at a pile of snake fangs on the table and said, “Crush those, Potter, then chop up the Belladonna roots.  Even pieces, thank you.”

Harry nodded and silently got to work.  Snape took the ingredients as he finished them, giving him new instructions each time.  Soon they were done.  Or so Harry thought…

“Now, I need a drop of your blood, Potter.”

Harry blinked.

“Sir?”

“Your blood, Potter, your blood!  Give me your arm.”

Harry frowned but didn’t dare argue with a teacher; let alone Snape, the teacher he feared most – despite him being his Head of House – yet respected the most as well.  He rolled up his sleeve, revealing his very pale skin – which eleven years on the street had never darkened – and a good many scars, each showing up as a faded white or light fawn color.  Snape seemed to wince at this but Harry took no notice to this.  He watched as Snape ran a small knife across one of the smaller veins in his wrist and let the blood drip down into a bowl.  Snape watched him for a reaction the entire time but Harry’s face stayed impassive.  He was used to seeing his own blood – often staining the floor beneath him.

After what seemed hours, Snape healed the wound with a light tap from his wand and poured the blood into the potion.  It sizzled and turned from bright yellow to a brilliant shade of crimson.  As the two watched, it bubbled and frothed then turned a shade of emerald green.  The same color as Harry’s eyes.

Snape looked at him and said huskily, “Thank you, Potter.  You may leave.  Tell Mr. Malfoy he may as well.”

Harry nodded and left Snape’s office, one question rattling through his mind.

Why did Snape give him that odd, slightly proud yet fearful look?

/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/

“Albus!  ALBUS!!

The door flew open and Dumbledore peered out of it, his blue eyes wide behind his half moon spectacles.

“Severus?  What is all the commotion?”

Snape moved past him into the office and pulled a phial out of his cloak.  He held it up and said, “This is Prosapia Potion.  I brewed it just an hour ago.”  He added, “Potter helped me.”

Dumbledore’s eyebrows arched at this as he moved to sit back down behind his desk.

“Harry, Severus?”

Snape nodded.

“I – I used his blood in it.’

Dumbledore’s eyebrows arched even more now.

“Why?”

“You remember the little scene in the hall earlier between Harry and Draco?”

“How could one forget?”

“Do you also remember who was once in that same position?”

Dumbledore smiled and replied, “Of course.  Yourself and James.”

Snape nodded.

“You also noticed one other little factor that was the same.”

“Yes, Miss O’Feir did act remarkably as Lily did in that position.”

Snape turned his eyes to the floor and Dumbledore asked, “What is this all about, Severus?”

The dark eyes lifted and met the light blue.

“Harry is my son.”

The End.
End Notes:

Arx Serpens – Serpent’s Keep

Aromahola – Opposite of Alohomora (don’t know what in the heck that means…)

Dolor Acidus – Sharp Pain

Prosapia – Family



This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=153