Not Myself Year 1: A Stone and a Discovery by Saerry Snape
Summary: Harry Potter is an orphan raised on the streets of London. But after he finds the mysterious pub called the Leaky Cauldron and a friendly family called the Weasley's he discovers that he's more than just some street rat...
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Fred George, Hermione, Original Character, Other, Ron
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Humor
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Slytherin!Harry
Takes Place: 1st Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys
Challenges: None
Series: Not Myself
Chapters: 16 Completed: Yes Word count: 33304 Read: 134743 Published: 01 Mar 2003 Updated: 01 May 2003
Revelations and Christmas Tidings by Saerry Snape

“Are you sure, Severus?”

“The potion does not lie.  It turns the color of the child’s parents Houses.  Scarlet for Lily, Green for me.”

“Are you going to tell him?”

“I don’t know.  Should I?”

“Wait a bit, perhaps.  A year perhaps.  Though the time is however you feel you should tell him.”

“Mmm.”

“How is it that he looks like James?”

“He doesn’t.”

“I know.  Yet there is still a small resemblance.”

“A charm, I suppose.  They were Lily’s forte.”

“I know.”

“How did this happen?  We were only together once.”

“Twice.”

“How did you know?  Nevermind.  Don’t answer that.”

“You were together twice and Harry is the result, Severus.  He is your son.”

“I know.  Merlin’s beard, I’m a father.  I’m a father.

/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/

“What are ye two doin’?”

Harry and Niamh walked into the Library and saw Ron and Hermione sitting over at a table with two other Gryffindors.  Ron looked up and grinned as they approached.

“Hey, Harry.”

“Do I not get a hello?” asked Niamh irritably.

“’Course you do.  Hey, Niamh.”

“Thank you, Ron.  Hold on a second.  Hermione?

Hermione looked up and blinked.

“Niamh?”

Harry looked from one girl to the other and asked, “Ye two know each other?”

The two girls nodded.  Niamh said, “Yeah.”

“We live right beside each other,” said Hermione.

“Oooooh,” said both boys.

The two girls frowned at them and both snapped, “Shut up.”

Harry chuckled then asked, “So, what’re ye two lookin’ fer?”

Hermione replied, “Nothing,” rather too quickly.

Harry narrowed his eyes.

“Okay.  Now I know yer lookin’ fer somethin’ tha’s na goo’.  Ron, wha’ is it?”

Ron looked at Hermione, who glared at him, then back to Harry, who also glared at him.

“They’re looking up something Hermione heard from Hagrid.”

Niamh!

“What?” snapped Niamh.  “This is Harry.  You can trust him.”

“But…”

“But nothing.  Harry, can’t you be trusted?”

Harry smirked and replied, “On’y to a poin’.”

“Be serious.”

“I am bein’ serious.”

Niamh rolled her eyes and turned back to Hermione.  “Nevermind him.  He can be trusted.”

“Ye do remember that I’m a pi’pocket don’t ye, Ni?”

“Yes, Harry.”

“Tha’ means I can’t be trusted.”  He grinned at Hermione and added, “In some situations tha’ is.”

Hermione smiled weakly in return then sighed and said, “Alright, alright.  I’ll tell you.”

“Excellent!” cried Niamh and pulled out a chair.  Harry sat on the table next to Ron, ignoring the look Madam Pince was giving him.  Hermione looked around them then began to explain in a low voice.

“See, Niamh’s parents wouldn’t let her come here.”

“Sodding tramps.”

“Be quiet, Ni.  Anyway, Professor McGonagall came and explained everything to them and they let her come.  But on the condition that someone else came and got her.  So, Hagrid came and got the both of us since we live right beside each other.”

“Is there a point to this?”

“Be quie’, Ron.”

“Hagrid took us to Diagon Alley to buy our things about two weeks before start of term.”

“That’s when we were there!”

“Shut ‘i, Ron!”

“Thank you, Harry.  Anyway, Hagrid took us there and got something from one of the vaults at Gringotts.  Number 713 to be exact.  Now, a few days into term, Ron received a copy of the Daily Prophet that said that someone had tried to break into Gringotts.  To get to vault number 713.”

“Wha’ cou’ be so important?”

“I’m getting to that.  Now, just after the Quidditch match, I talked to Hagrid.  And he said that whatever he took from Gringotts was between Professor Dumbledore and someone called Nicolas Flamel.”

“And you and Ron have been looking for that ever since?” asked Niamh.

“Yeah, well, and we also ran into a three-headed dog on the third floor,” muttered Ron.

You were on the third floor?  The FORBIDDEN floor?

Ron and Hermione nodded.

How?

“Got lost,” replied Ron.

Niamh sighed then Harry asked, “Wha’ does the dog ‘ave ter do with Flamel?”

“It was standing on something.  A trap door.  I think that whatever Hagrid took out of the Gringotts vault is down there,” replied Hermione.

“And wha’ is ‘i?”

“A Sorcerer’s Stone.”

Harry blinked.  “The stone tha’ c’n turn anythin’ inter gold and produce the Elixir o’ Life?”

“You’ve heard about it?”

“Ye think the only thing on me mind is Quidditch?”

Hermione flushed.

“Its na.  I read plen’y.  So, who do ye think i’ is?”

“Who is?” asked Hermione bewilderedly.

“Tryin’ ter get the Stone!”

“I don’t know.”

“Mmm.  I think i’s Quirrell.”

Quirrell?” cried three voices.

“Stuttering Quirrel?” said Ron.

“Quirrel who’s scared of his own shadow?” asked Niamh

“Harry, how can it be Professor Quirrell?  He’s….”

“He’s what?” asked Harry, leaning forward with narrowed eyes and a severe expression on his face.  “Too innocent?

“Yeah, that stutter is plum scary,” said Ron jokingly.

Harry scowled at him then growled, “Fools!  Never judge a boo’ by i’s cover.  Firs’ rule in pi’pocketry.”  He continued, softer, “Quirrell tried ter kill me a’ the Quidditch match.  I doan trus’ ‘im as far as I c’n throw ‘im.  Which ain’ far.”

There was a long silence between the four then Hermione began, “It could have been…”

“What?” snapped Harry, turning towards her.  “Snape?  I think na.  Me own Head o’ House tryin’ ter kill me?  Thin’ again.”

“But he was muttering…”

“A coun’er curse mos’ likely.”

“But a jinx…”

“Does na ‘ave ter be spoken!”

Hermione’s eyes went wide.

“Quirrell was watching you rather closely.”

Harry smiled and said, “Ye see?”

Hermione nodded and Harry grinned widely at her.  He then looked down at his watch and said, “C’mon, Ni.  We’ve go’ Transfiguration in ten minutes.”

Niamh nodded and the two of them picked up their bags and left.  Ron and Hermione walked out after them and as they headed down the hallway Ron called, “See you two in Potions!”

Harry waved back over his shoulder in reply and he and Niamh hurried on.

/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/

A few weeks later the Christmas holidays had come.  Harry and Niamh were the only Slytherins left in Arx Serpens and they found out that Ron and his brothers were all alone in Gryffindor Tower.

Harry was woken up Christmas morning by Niamh rushing into the boy’s dorm and leaping onto his bed, yelling at him at the same time.

“Harry!  Harry, wake up!  It’s Christmas!”

Harry opened his eyes blearily and look up into Niamh’s bright blue one’s.

“Wha’?”

“Christmas, Harry!  Presents!”

Harry shot awake.

“I ‘ave presen’s?”

“Yeah!  C’mon!”

Harry rushed into the common room, where a pile of presents was placed under the Christmas tree that had been placed there.  He grinned at Niamh, who grinned back.  Then the two of them dived into the pile.

Niamh received a box of Chocolate Frog’s from Ron, a book on the Dark Arts from Hermione, a book called Advanced Hexes and Curses from Harry, and a fifty-pence piece from her parents.  She scowled at it then tossed it into the fire.  Harry shook his head then handed her another of her presents, which was a tiny snake statue from her older sister.

Harry got a box of Chocolate Frog’s from Ron as well, a book on Quidditch from Hermione (“Thin’s I’ve go’ Quidditch on the brain,” muttered Harry), an emerald green sweater and tin of homemade fudge from Mrs. Weasley, a box of their own joke items from Fred and George, a box of Bertie Bott’s Every Flavor Beans from Ginny, and a book on hexes and curses from Niamh.

“Hey, Harry, this is yours too.”

Harry picked up the feather-light package and opened it.  A card lay inside, words written on it in a loopy swirl that he didn’t recognize.

Your father left this in my possession before he died.  It is time it was returned to you.

Use it well.

A Very Merry Christmas to you.

Niamh craned her neck and asked, “What is it?”

“I doan know.  A cloak I thin’.”

“Let’s see it then.”

Harry ripped the paper away from the soft, silvery material, letting it cascade down to the floor.  He slipped it about his shoulders and heard a gasp from Niamh.

“Wha’?”

“Harry, look down!”

He looked.

“I’s an invisibility cloak!  I read abou’ ‘im!  They’re really rare.”

Niamh stared wide-eyed at him and gasped, “Who would have sent you that?

“I doan know.  There was’n a name on the card.”

“Wow.  I bet Malfoy hasn’t got one of these!”

Harry grinned and took off the cloak, sitting it down beside him.  He bet Draco didn’t either.

“Okay, that’s it, I think.  Hold on, where’d that raven come from?”

“Wha’ raven?”

Something landed on Harry’s shoulder and he turned to see a raven sitting there, gray talons clinging to his pajama top, the pitch-black feathers glistened with rainbow highlights.  A pair of pale yellow eyes looked into his own then the raven held out one of its legs, to which a small roll of parchment was tied.  Harry untied it and looked at it, not recognizing the spidery scrawl with which it was written except that it looked somewhat like his own writing.

A replacement for your owl.  He is at your command and can carry messages as well as any owl.

Merry Christmas.

“Wow,” breathed Harry, looking at the raven on his shoulder.

“What is it?” asked Niamh.  Harry handed her the note silently and she read it.

“Wow.  A raven.  Who do you think sent him?”

Harry ran his hand over the silky soft feathers on the raven’s breast and said, “I doan know.  But e’s wonderful.  I wish I knew who sent ‘im so I cou’ thank ‘em.  E’ won’t replace Hedwig but ‘e is beautiful.”

Niamh smiled and asked, “What are you going to name him?”

Harry instantly replied, “Jardin,” then blinked.  He looked at the raven sitting on his shoulder, who looked back with his pale eyes.  Eyes that were a tad too intelligent for a mere bird.

< Too intelligent for a mere bird is right.  I am not a mere bird. >

Harry blinked.

You can understand us?

Jardin nodded.

< Of course.  I am a very special raven.  The only one in existence that can talk. >

And your name is Jardin?  That was you that suggested it, right?

< Yes.  And you are Harry Potter.  My new owner. >

Yes.

< A pleasure.  And who is the lady? >

Niamh.  Niamh O’Feir.  She’s my friend.

< I see.  How about something to eat? >

You go up to the Owlery for that.  What…how am I supposed to keep you?  We’re only allowed to have an owl, a cat, or a toad.

< All taken care of. >

How do you know?

< I simply do.  Niamh is looking at you. >

Harry looked from Jardin to Niamh, who was staring at him.

“Wha’?”

“You…nevermind.  Let’s go get something to eat.”

Harry nodded and gathered up his Christmas presents, heading back into the dorm.  A few minutes later he was back in the common room wearing a pair of dark Muggle jeans and Mrs. Weasley’s sweater.  He had tied his hair back in a ponytail as it had grown beyond shoulder length and Jardin sat on his shoulder.  Niamh appeared a moment later in jeans and a black sweater and they left.

< Food? >

Yes, Jardin.  We’re going to eat.

< Anything for me? >

I ‘spose…

< I will go to the Owlery if you wish. >

No.  Stay.  I want to show you to Ron.

< Who is he? >

My other friend.

< I see.  He stays somewhere else? >

Yes.  He’s in Gryffindor.  Me and Niamh are in Slytherin.

< I see. >

Jardin was silent after that and Harry and Niamh talked about Quidditch all the way up to Gryffindor Tower.  Harry smiled at the Fat Lady and asked, “Is Ron still insi’e?”

The portrait smiled warmly at him (most of them did) and replied, “Yes, dearie, he and those brothers of his are still inside.”

“C’n I get ‘im?”

The Fat Lady nodded and the portrait swung open.  Harry entered and saw Ron laughing as the twins shoved a sweater with a ‘P’ on it over Percy’s head, knocking his glasses askew.  Harry laughed and all four of them looked up.

“Harry!  What are you doing in here?  And what’s that?”

Harry gestured at the Fat Lady’s portrait and said, “She le’ me in.  An’ this is Jardin.”

“Wow.  Where’d he come from?”

“Doan know.  ‘Oever sent ‘im didn’ sign the note.”

Ron grinned and Jardin asked, < Is this your friend? >

Yes, Jardin.  This is Ron Weasley.  Those are his brothers Fred and George – they’re twins – and Percy.  Percy’s the one with glasses and Fred and George had the first letter of their names on their sweaters.

< I see. >

Harry grinned and said, “C’mon.  Le’s go downstairs an’ see the Hall.”

Ron only grinned wider and followed him out past the Fat Lady, Fred and George dragging a trapped Percy along after them, earning laughter from Niamh as soon as she saw him.

The End.
End Notes:
Jardin is pronounced czar-din.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=153