Not Myself Year 1: A Stone and a Discovery by Saerry Snape
Summary: Harry Potter is an orphan raised on the streets of London. But after he finds the mysterious pub called the Leaky Cauldron and a friendly family called the Weasley's he discovers that he's more than just some street rat...
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Fred George, Hermione, Original Character, Other, Ron
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Humor
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Slytherin!Harry
Takes Place: 1st Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys
Challenges: None
Series: Not Myself
Chapters: 16 Completed: Yes Word count: 33304 Read: 134794 Published: 01 Mar 2003 Updated: 01 May 2003
Hogwarts by Saerry Snape

A month later the Weasley’s and Harry had piled five trunks into the backseat of the Weasley’s Ford Anglia with two owls and a rat in the backseat with the boys and Ginny and were off to King’s Cross Station.  Once there they got trolley’s for their trunks and followed Mrs. Weasley down to where Platforms Nine and Ten were.  Harry was still a bit confused by what Mrs. Weasley had told him about the platform but he knew that he wouldn’t run into the wall when he went through.

“Okay, Percy, you first.”

Percy pushed his trunk forward and ran at the barrier, vanishing a moment later.  Mrs. Weasley then motioned Fred and George forward.

“Okay, Harry, dear.”

Harry nodded and ran for the barrier, instinctively closing his eyes as he did so.  When he opened them he saw a scarlet steam engine.  Looking around, he saw a sign that said Hogwarts Express: Platform Nine-and-Three-Quarters.  Harry beamed.  He had done it.

Ron came through the barrier a moment later, followed by Mrs. Weasley and Ginny.  After much fuss, they all managed to get their trunks and things onto the train and said goodbye to Mrs. Weasley and Ginny.  Fred and George yelled things out the window as they left.

“We’ll send you loads of owls!”

“We’ll send you a Hogwarts toilet seat, Ginny!”

George!

“Only joking, mum.”

Harry shook his head and went with Ron to find an empty compartment.  Once they had found one, Ron let Scabbers out of his cage while Harry looked out the window.

“Anything off the trolley, dears?”

Ron jumped at least ten feet while Harry smiled back at the smiling, dimpled woman pushing a cart down the car.  He nodded and pulled a handful of Galleons from his pockets, handing it to her and saying, “A bit o’ everything, please.”

A few minutes later he and Ron were sharing the large amount of sweets.  Harry laughed as Ron spit out a dirt-flavored Bertie Bott’s bean just as the door of the compartment opened and a girl with bushy brown hair entered.

“Neither of you have seen a toad, have you?  Neville’s lost one.”

Both boys shook their heads and the girl frowned slightly.

“Well, if you see one, tell me.  I’m Hermione Granger.”

“Ron Weasley.”

“Harry Potter.”

Hermione blinked.  “Are you really?  I’ve read all about you.”

“So ‘ave I,” said Harry, rather proud of the fact that he had decided to look up things about himself.

“You sound…strange.”

“Yeh.”

Hermione shuffled her feet then said, “Well, tell me if you see Neville’s toad.”  With that she was gone.

Ron said, “I hope she’s not in whatever House I’m in.”

Harry laughed then the two boys began to talk about Quidditch.

/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/

The two boys were still talking about Quidditch when the compartment door opened again.  Instead of the girl Hermione this time, it was the blond boy from Madam Malkin’s, flanked by two thickset and extremely mean looking boys.  The boy looked at them and said, “They’re saying all up and down the train Harry Potter’s in this compartment.”  His eyes flicked to Harry and he continued, “So, its you, is it?  Wouldn’t have known.  You don’t look like much.”

Harry smirked.  “Neither do ye.”  He looked at the other two boys and said, “An’ they’re jus’ show.”

The boy frowned for a moment then said, “I suppose I was wrong.  Oh, this is Crabbe and Goyle.  I’m Malfoy, Draco Malfoy.”

Ron couldn’t help but snort with laughter.  Draco turned on him and snapped, “Think my name’s funny do you?  I know what you are.  A Weasley.”  He said ‘Weasley’ as though it were a nasty stain on his shoe.  Ron’s ears turned red and he glared at Draco, who had turned back to Harry.

“You’ll soon find out some wizarding families are better than others, Potter.  You don’t want to go making friends with the wrong sort.  I can help you there.”

He held out his hand to Harry, who sneered at it.

“I think I c’n figure out the wrong sort fer myself, thanks,” he said icily.

Draco’s cheeks turned pink and he slowly said, “Be careful, Potter.  Wouldn’t want to end up in the same way as your parents.”

Harry’s eyes flashed and that was all the warning Draco got.  The other boy was on him in a flash, tackling him to the floor and punching him as hard as he could.  They ended up out in the hallway, rolling on the floor, Harry keeping the upper hand the entire time.  Suddenly they were pulled apart and Harry didn’t try to resist.  He simply glared at Draco, who was trying to get away from the seventh year holding him back.  Shaking his head, Harry easily freed himself from Percy and walked calmly back into the car where Ron still sat, staring at him in awe.  As soon as he sat down, Ron asked, “Where did you learn how to do that?”

“On the streets,” replied Harry.  “Ye never knew when ye’d ge’ inter a figh’.”

“You knocked the bloody stuffing out him, Harry!”

“Yeh, I guess I did,” said Harry rather proudly.

Ron laughed at him then they both looked up at the twins came in, beaming.  Fred gave Harry a friendly pound on the back and cried, “Brilliant, Harry!”

George nodded and said, “Absolutely spiffing.”

“’E ‘ad it comin’,” said Harry.

Fred and George exchanged confused looks and Ron said, “He said something about Harry’s parents.”

“’Wouldn’ want ter end up in the same way as yer parents’,” muttered Harry, darkly.

“Yeah, that’s it…”

Fred and George exchanged looks again then left them as a disembodied voice said, “Five minutes till we reach Hogwarts.  Please leave your luggage on the train, it will be taken to the school separately.”  Harry and Ron quickly pulled on their robes and left the train.

“Firs’ years!  Firs’ years over here!”

Ron gaped in awe at the large man while Harry found himself smiling.  He had the strangest feeling that he had meet him before.

“C’mon, follow me – any more firs’ years?  Mind yer step, now!  Firs’ years follow me!”

Neville slipped and let out a yelp but was caught by Harry, who helped the shorter boy back up and gave him a gentle nudge forward.

“Yeh’ll get yer firs’ sight o’ Hogwarts in a sec,” called the man over his shoulder, “jus’ round this bend here.”

“Oooooh!”

They suddenly found themselves on the edge of a great black lake.  Perched atop a high mountain on the other side was a vast castle with many towers and turrets, its windows winking light down at them.

“No more’n four to a boat!”

Harry and Ron clambered into one of the boats waiting by the edge of the water, followed by Hermione and Neville.

“Everyone in?  Right then – FORWARD!”

The fleet of boats moved off all at once.  Everyone was silent as they moved across the glass-like lake, each of them staring at the towering castle overhead.

“Heads down!”

Everyone ducked as the boats carried them through a curtain of icy that hid an opening in the cliff face.  As soon as the boats hit shore, they all clambered out.

“Oy, you there!  Is this your toad?”

“Trevor!” cried Neville joyously and ran forward to claim his toad.

The man led them up a flight of stone steps to a huge oak door.

“Everyone here?  You there, still got yer toad?”

Bang.  Bang.  Bang.

The man raised a gigantic fist and knocked three times on the castle door.

/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/

The door swung open and a tall, black-haired witch in emerald-green robes stood there, looking sternly down at them.

“The firs’ years, Professor McGonagall.”

“Thank you, Hagrid.  I will take them from here.”

McGonagall pulled the door wide and they followed her in.  Harry watched a doorway to his right, hearing voices drifting through it.  McGonagall stopped and turned to face them.

“Welcome to Hogwarts.  The start-of-term banquet will begin shortly, but before you take you seats in the Great Hall, you will be sorted into your houses.  They are Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin.  While you are here your triumphs will earn your house points, while any rule breaking will lose house points.  At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the house cup, a great honor.”

“Now, form a line and follow me.”

The first years complied quickly enough and Harry found himself with Ron in front of him and Draco Malfoy behind him, still bearing bruises from their fight.  Harry smirked at that then was floored when he saw the Great Hall.  Lit by thousands of floating candles, there were four long tables laid with glittering gold goblets and plates where the rest of the students were sitting.  Another table was at the top of the hall, where the teachers were sitting.  McGonagall led them up to there, where they formed a line with the teachers behind them and the students in front of them.  Harry turned his eyes skyward and saw an inky black sky dotted with stars where the ceiling should be.  Off to his left he heard Hermione whisper, “It’s bewitched to look like the sky outside.  I read about it in Hogwarts, A History.”  Harry shook his head then snapped his eyes up to McGonagall, who had placed a battered wizard’s hat on a stool that sat in front of them.  A rip suddenly opened at the brim and a song poured out.

“Oh, you may not think I’m pretty,

But don’t judge on what you see,

I’ll eat myself if you can find

A smarter hat than me.

You can keep your bowlers black,

Your top hats sleek and tall,

For I’m the Hogwarts Sorting Hat

And I can cap them all.

There’s nothing hidden in your head

The Sorting Hat can’t see,

So try me on and I will tell you

Where you ought to be.

You might belong in Gryffindor,

Where dwell the brave at heart,

Their daring, nerve, and chivalry

Set Gryffindors apart.

You might belong if Hufflepuff,

Where they are just and loyal,

Those patient Hufflepuffs are true

And unafraid of toil;

Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw,

If you’ve a ready mind,

Where those of wit and learning,

Will always find their kind;

Or perhaps in Slytherin

You’ll make your real friends,

Those cunning folk use any means

To achieve their ends.

So put me on!  Don’t be afraid!

And don’t get in a flap!

You’re in safe hands (though I have none)

For I’m a Thinking Cap!”

The hall burst into applause and Harry let his eyes drift back up to the ceiling as McGonagall stepped forward holding a long roll of parchment.

“When I call your name, you will put on the hat and sit on the stool to be sorted.  Abbott, Hannah!”

“HUFFLEPUFF!”

“Bones, Susan!”

“HUFFLEPUFF!”

“Boot, Terry!”

“RAVENCLAW!”

“Brethel, Amanda!”

“SLYTHERIN!”

“Brocklehurst, Mandy!”

“RAVENCLAW!”

“Brown, Lavender!”

“GRYFFINDOR!”

“Bulstrode, Millicent!”

“SLYTHERIN!”

“Davids, Mika!”

“SLYTHERIN!”

“Finch-Fletchley, Justin!”

“HUFFLEPUFF!”

“Granger, Hermione!”

“GRYFFINDOR!”

Ron groaned and Harry elbowed him in the ribs.

“Longbottom, Neville!”

“GRYFFINDOR!”

Ron’s jaw fell open and Harry quickly pushed it back up.

The list when on…

“Macmillian, Ernest!”

“HUFFLEPUFF!”

“Malfoy, Draco!”

“SLYTHERIN!”

And on and on and on and on….

“Potter, Harry!”

Ron gave Harry a pat on the back as the other boy stepped forward and walked quickly over to the stool, grabbing the Sorting Hat and shoving it onto his head so he wouldn’t have to see the people staring at him.

“Hmm,” said a small voice in his ear.  “Difficult.  Very difficult.  Plenty of courage, I see.  Not a bad mind either.  There’s talent, oh my goodness, yes – and a nice thirst to prove yourself, now that’s interesting….So where shall I put you?”

Anywhere’s fine, thought Harry quickly, wanting to get this over as soon as possible.

“Anywhere?  Well, let me see…Ah, I know just where to put you….”

“SLYTHERIN!”

Harry swept the hat off his head and leapt off the stool in one fluid motion, walking swiftly over to the Slytherin table and sitting as far away from Draco as he could get.  He looked at Ron, who was looking at him in shock and smiled weakly before burying his head in his arms to get away from the people staring at him, barely listening to the rest of the sorting.

“Thomas, Dean!”

“GRYFFINDOR!”

“Turpin, Lisa!”

“RAVENCLAW!”

“Weasley, Ronald!”

Harry’s head shot up as he watched a rather green Ron put on the Sorting Hat.

“GRYFFINDOR!”

Harry’s heart sank as Ron went off to join his brother’s at the Gryffindor table but paused to wave in Harry’s direction.  Waving weakly back, Harry buried his head in his arms again.

“Ymber, Thomas!”

“SLYTHERIN!”

“Zabini, Blaise!”

“SLYTHERIN!”

Harry looked up as a severe looking boy took the seat to his right then watched as Albus Dumbledore grinned widely at the students as he stood.

“Welcome!  Welcome to a new year at Hogwarts!  Before we begin our banquet, I would like to say a few words.  And here they are: Nitwit!  Blubber!  Oddment!  Tweak!”

“Thank you!”

Harry arched an eyebrow at the man then noticed that the dishes on the table were piled with food.  He looked at all of it in awe for a moment then joyfully dug in, ignoring the dark looks most of the Slytherins were giving him.

/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/

“Ahem – just a few more words now that we are all fed and watered.  I have a few start-of-term notices to give you.”

“First years should note that the forest on the grounds is forbidden to all pupils.  A few of our older students would do well to remember that.”

Harry noticed Dumbledore’s twinkling blue eyes flash in the direction of the Weasley twins and had to chuckle.

“I have also been asked by Mr. Filch, the caretaker, to remind you all that no magic should be used between classes in the corridors.”

“Quidditch trails will be held in the second week of the term.  Anyone interested in playing for their house teams should contact Madam Hooch.”

“And finally, I must tell you that this year, the third-floor corridor on the right-hand side is out of bounds to everyone who does not wish to die a very painful death.”

Harry was one of the many who did not laugh.  He took threats of pain very seriously.

“And now, before we go to bed, let us sing the school song!”

Dumbledore gave his wand a flick and a long golden ribbon flew out, twisting itself into words.

“Everyone pick their favorite tune and off we go!”

Harry listened as the rest of the students opened their mouths and belted out the song.  Everyone finished at different times and the Weasley twins were the last, going at a slow funeral march.

“Ah, music.  A magic beyond all we do here!  And now, bedtime.  Off you trot!”

Harry got up from the table and followed a tall boy out of the Great Hall along with the other first years.  As he passed Ron in the doorway he tried to say something but the other boy turned away.  Blinking in confusion, Harry followed his new housemates.

/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/

“First years dorm.  Your trunks are at the foot of your beds.”

Harry looked at the other first year boys and sneered.  He was stuck with Draco, his two cronies, and another boy.  Turning away from them, Harry went down to the bed where his trunk sat and climbed in, only bothering to take off his shoes, outer robes, and tie.

He rolled over onto his side, staring at the wall as he listened to the other boys clamber into the own beds.  Harry lay awake for a while before sleep finally overtook him.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=153