A Place to Hide by EBWelsh
Summary: Harry Potter is hearing a voice in his head. It isn't the enemy, it isn't a ghost or even his own conscious... and that isn’t even the main problem.

The Dursleys kicked him out, and after Harry's near death experience, Dumbledore feels it is best for Harry to go into hiding, and at the most unlikely place anyone would ever think to look... Snape Manor.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape, Teacher Snape > Professor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Original Character, Remus
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Drama, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Character Death, Drug use, Profanity, Suicide Themes
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 8 Completed: No Word count: 30021 Read: 33230 Published: 09 Apr 2008 Updated: 17 Aug 2008
Chapter 4 by EBWelsh

“What are you thinking about?” The voiced asked Harry, who was seated apprehensively on his hospital bed, looking at the door, waiting for someone to come in.

The doctor wanted to put me on anti-depressants,” Harry told him.

I know,” it replied. “A bit ironic, isn’t it?”

But Harry wasn’t paying attention, he was thinking of what was yet to come and what had already happened.

...Several minutes ago, only Harry, Mad-Eye and the doctor were in the room and Mad-Eye, who had fooled the entire medical staff with faux documents stating that Harry was his nephew and under his care, stood seeming bored waiting for the doctor to speak.

I believe it is in Harry’s best interest if he were put on ant-depressants,” the doctor told him in a very business-like tone.

Of course,” Mad-Eye said vaguely and nodded.

And it would be best if he stays here for four weeks for observations, and to see how his medication is affecting him.”

Yeah, yeah. Whatever he needs.”

And therapy sessions while he is here would be good for him,” the doctor added.

Right,” Mad-Eye agreed, but vaguely.

Harry, who sat, finding the current situation humorous wondered if he was going to wake up from this dream he was having already. He wondered if that whole day of boredom had actually happened because it was hardly believable that he was learning he was going to have to stay here for almost a month.

You really aren’t going to make me go through with that,” Harry asked Mad-Eye once the doctor had left. He just raised an eyebrow however.

The hell you are,” he grunted and Harry felt relieved. “I just agreed with the doctor so he wouldn’t get in the way later.” He coughed and continued.

Dumbledore is already here, and he’s given the ok to take you, but he said he wanted to speak to you first.”...

Then again, Harry thought of what had just happened a few moments ago again, but only to stop himself from thinking about what was going to come.

He just wants to talk,” the voice tried to comfort, but didn’t say the rest since the doorknob was being turned.

“Harry,” Dumbledore greeted and closed the door behind him.

As he waited for Dumbledore to speak, he wiped his sweaty hands on his knees and tried to build a wall around himself, but he knew there was no avoiding the situation. However, Dumbledore walked to the end of Harry’s bed and placed a hand on the metal frame.

“So Harry,” Dumbledore said sadly. “Here you are, for the reason we’d never thought you’d be here for.”

“I’m sorry professor,” he began, but was interrupted.

“You must understand that I cannot find it in my heart to blame you for what happened the other day, but I will say this.” And he moved his hand from the cold metal frame to where Harry’s foot lay under the blanket.

“I was thoroughly convinced from our discussion last term that you would be able to handle this anguish well, that in time you would have healed”

“Professor, I-” but he was cut off again as Dumbledore raised a hand up to quiet him.

“But it seems I was wrong in my judgment and I must admit I should be the one to blame for your misery, as I have not experienced a great loss in some time, however,” and here, Harry saw the alteration in his demeanor and instead of a sad gaze, it was stern scrutiny.

“You were, without a doubt responsible for your own actions and I declare my disappointment that in your grief, you failed to contact me or even one of your friends and let them know how you were really feeling and what exactly your intentions were-”

“But-”

“And I cannot have this lack of communication from you to ensue any further and here, I must hear from you that this will never happen again.”

Harry, who didn’t know if ‘this’ meant his distance from everyone or his suicide attempt. However, he didn’t think he could promise that neither might happen again, but to relieve the pressure he was being put under, he nodded and Dumbledore patted his foot twice.

“I’m glad to hear that,” he said and nodded.

“Well, I’m afraid that we simply cant apparate you from here,” he said. “There are cameras all over the place and to have a muggle see such a thing would be disastrous, so until we can get you to an elevator with no cameras…” and Dumbledore walked to the door and opened it.

“Have you found one, yet,” Harry heard him ask and couldn’t hear the response to his question, but a few moments later, Mad-Eye, Tonks, George, Mr. Weasley, Ron and Hermione came into the room and George tossed Harry what seemed to be a t-shirt and jeans.

“Here,” he said. “You might want to change from that dress before you go.”

The plan was simple. Make it to the end of the long ward, where the elevator was, go to the fourth floor which was one floor down, and make it to the elevator which was at the end of that ward and that elevator was the closest without a camera and once they were safely inside, they would apparate.

Harry was to along side apparate with Mad-Eye, Ron with Mr. Weasley and Hermione with Tonks. George was there to help if anything went wrong.

But first off, Harry was to remove the IV from his hand. But everything had to be quick since the doctor really didn’t specify when he would be back.

“Ready Potter?” Mad-Eye asked and Harry nodded and began to peel of the tape, then when only the needle was still in his vein, he took it out, but wrong and a small amount of blood squirted to the floor.

“Come,” and he followed everyone out of the room.

The ward, which had a few seats next to every door as well as posters of overly-happy actors hugging their friends, seemed to be empty, besides a nurse talking with another at the end, but fortunately, it was at the end they didn’t need to go. It smelt to clean to Harry in a way. Too clean and alcohol.

In a huddle, they made it down the hallway smoothly and once in the elevator, Tonks pressed the fourth floor button and Harry felt himself being moved down. Everything was going as smoothly as they hoped and Harry was glad for that. Then it stopped and once the doors opened they all stepped out and began walking to the last elevator when the sound of Harry’s name was being called.

“Harry!” Doctor Ryan called about twenty feet away. “Stop!” But they didn’t, they began to quicken the way they walked, almost like a run and nurses moved out of the way for them.

“No,” the doctor cried at the nurses. “Stop them! Security!” And as they heard people running to them, they pressed the button for the elevator but the sign above said it was still on the fifth floor and they had to wait anxiously for it to come to their floor.

The guards were so close….

Doctor Ryan was making his way too them…

The guards were a few meters away….

Five…four….three meters….

Then the elevator doors opened slowly and they made their way in, but had to push a young couple out and once the elevator doors closed, the trio grabbed on to whoever they were assigned to and they were gone.

Ron, Harry and Hermione were still laughing even after they let go of whoever they were along side apparating with.

"What's funny?"

"I escaped from the hospital."

Harry's first thought was that they had apparated to The Burrow, since it was the most obvious place. But then suddenly, he thought it should smell like cinnamon now, since that was what The Burrow smelt like, but it didn’t smell like it at all, or any other spice. It smelt dusty and moldy and once he looked around the room everyone was standing in, he wanted nothing more than to just go back to whatever hospital he was at. Intensive Psychotherapy would have been better than this, he thought, but he knew it was too late to tell Mad-Eye that.

"Where are you?"

"At my godfather’s house," Harry replied.

The hallway of Number 12 Grimmauld Place was exactly the same as it had been the last time Harry was there. The wallpaper was faded and about ready to just fall off, the chandelier was still dusty with cobwebs, the paintings were barley visible and still, it was so dark. Even after the old lamps flickered on. Harry backed away but bumped into Mad-Eye's broad chest and jumped. However, Mad-Eye just looked at him and raised an eyebrow.

"Move along, Potter," he said and pushed Harry farther into the hallway and he heard voices in the dining room, but decided to follow Ron, George and Hermione upstairs.

The stairs creaked with every step and movement. Harry watched their shadows dance along the peeling wall and once they were headed to the bedroom where Ron and Harry had slept when they were here, Harry grew tense as he passed what he knew to be as Sirius' room. With a small glance at the door, he then sped up his pace and walked on the right of Ron rather than behind him.

Once they were in the room, Ginny and the Fred were there as well and once Ron closed the door, George went over to Fred’s side and Hermione leaped at Harry and gave him an awkward hug.

Again?” he thought.

"Oh Harry," she began and Harry wanted to push her away since he knew what she was going to say, but she let go when she felt him tense. "Tell me everything. What you were feeling and what you were thinking when you swallowed those stupid pills. It won’t happen again." No, Harry thought. It wont...He knew if he ever did try to do what he did again, he would succeed at it but right now, he really didn’t have any plans to do it again anyway.

"How about we go downstairs instead and make Mum cook food-"

"Ron," Hermione said annoyed. "There’s a meeting going on right now. Are you mental? Anyway, I’d rather talk with Harry-”

"Maybe later would be a better time-"

"Ron!" She interrupted. "I'm only doing my duty as a friend-"

"Then start by shutting the hell up! If Harry wants to talk and I'm sure he doesn’t, then let him be, Hermione!" And she pushed him hard and he stumbled against the wall, and then made a rude hand gesture at her. She scoffed at him, waved him off and looked back at Harry who felt as if he were about ready to crack. The new weight that was on his shoulders now was purely from the fact that he, because of what he did, caused his two best friends to fight. Even Hermione, who was rarely ever violent excluding the time when she slapped Draco, showed how hurt she had been by the whole situation. And now, there was a meeting tonight, occurring at that moment and Harry knew it was because of him. Everything bad that had happened for years now was all from his mistakes.

"Harry?" She asked, and Harry looked away and glided his index finger along the fireplace border collecting dust.

"Maybe another time," he said quietly, thankful he had Ron as a friend.

"Harry!" She cried at his refusal and Harry turned around angrily.

"What," he spat and Hermione jerked her head back as if offended. Then Ron jumped in.

"Hermione," he said aggravated. "Why don’t you go and wash your hair or something?" And Hermione who seemed fed up stormed out of the room and after sending daggers flying with her eyes at Ron, slammed the door shut. Her stomps were still heard even after she left, down the hall, into her and Ginny's room, then another door slam. Ron sighed with relief and Harry, who felt sick now, sat slowly on the bed then realized the twins and Ginny were still there.

"Don’t mind her," Ron said sitting across from Harry who was looking at his shoes, "You know she's a pisspot," and Harry laughed lightly at the term Ron had used to describe Hermione.

"Yea," he agreed shyly and rubbed his cold, sweaty hands together.

"Move along, Potter," Mad-Eye told Harry and gave him a little push. He, Tonks and Mr. Weasley watched as the trio went up the stairs, then proceeded into the kitchen where the rest of the Order was waiting to begin.

"Upstairs?" Mrs. Weasley asked her husband, and he nodded.

"But is it true?" The question was heard throughout the room, coming from an Order member by the name of Alice Lowry asking Dedalus Diggle who was seated across from her at the long kitchen table.

"Yes," Mad-Eye announced. "But that is not the main problem here," he added, and everyone shot silent questioning glances at each other.

"Then what exactly is the main problem, Moody?" Diggle asked "If not a very serious suicide attempt?" And Dumbledore, who had been watching everyone very attentively spoke up.

"Now," he began. "Everyone knows the reason that Voldemort cannot touch Harry when he is at the muggles' home. However, they have solemnly announced that he is no longer to stay there." And a rush of whispers flooded the room.

"So what you're saying is that...he has no home?"

"Partly, Ms. Lowry," Dumbledore said. "Yes, but he no longer has the blood protection he needs."

"Then why can’t he just stay at Hogwarts-"

"Because Voldemort knows that is where he will be-"

Everyone looked up, they heard stumbling as if someone had been pushed against the wall, but tried their best to ignore it.

"But he knew that last year," Lowry started again. "Why is it any different this year?" And everyone turned to Dumbledore.

"Last year," he began. "He didn’t have the strength to find a way into the school. Last year, he didn’t have almost all of the werewolves and vampires working for him. Last year, he didn’t have the same number of followers and last year, he hadn’t shown such an aptitude to capture Harry as he has shown recently, namely the incident that occurred last week at the Ministry."

Then they heard loud stomping that shook the chandelier in the kitchen, then a door slam. Then more stomping, then another door slam. Then it was finally silent.

"He can stay here cant he?" Diggles asked. "Here at headquarters." But Dumbledore shook his head.

"The current house elf that was servant here has forsaken us," he said. "And since Sirius didn’t leave a will stating where the house elf was to go, the house elf will be allowed to go with the remaining blood relatives of the Black family, The Malfoys and since it will be two months since Sirius' death the day after tomorrow, he will be allowed to leave the house and live with The Malfoys and will most likely inform them that headquarters is here." Low mummers occurred between the Order now.

"So why don’t we just kill the little demon?" Someone asked loudly.

"He has a tendency to...hide," Tonks informed them.

"So what did it feel like?" Ginny, who had been quiet the entire time, suddenly ask.

"What did what feel like?" He asked and she sat next to Ron on the opposite bed.

"When you were dying-"

"Ginny," The twins scolded simultaneously but she paid them no attention.

"So?" She asked. "Did it hurt?" Harry shook his head quietly and looked at the floor and focused on one of the small black uneven dots that were found all over the wooden floor trying to remember exactly what it felt like. He smiled.

"No," he said, referring to the question about pain. "It felt pretty good," he said now remembering the raft and how he was floating away...

They were all giving each other concerned glances, but Harry didn’t realize or care. He was still looking down at the floor at the black dot.

"So what is this safe place Harry is to stay?" Dodge asked, but Dumbledore shook his head.

"There are just some things even the Order must not know, but I assure you, it is the safest place for him now."

"Will he be attending school again, once the term starts?" Tonks asked, and Dumbledore shook his head.

"No, but he will learn everything he needs to," he stopped and positioned his half-moon spectacles and continued. "But what I need you all to know is that it will soon be reported that Harry has simply gone missing. That no one, not even I, knows where he is."

"So what do you think this place is? Some sort of new headquarters?" Ginny asked them all. Everyone shrugged.

"Maybe its Hogwarts!" Ron exclaimed and Harry, who was considering whether or not Dumbledore would allow him to live there, smiled at the idea.

When the meeting was over, only a certain few remained. Mad-Eye, Tonks, Mr. and Mrs. Weasley, Kingsley, Lupin, Bill, Charlie and Severus Snape. They all remained seated at the table and waited for Dumbledore to speak, but Mad-Eye beat him to it.

"So?" He asked. "The place?" Dumbledore smiled.

"Snape Manor." And everyone looked over to Snape wide eyed and wide mouthed, and he glared at Dumbledore.

"Headmaster," he began angrily, but Dumbledore raised a hand.

"Severus. I know what you're thinking," he began and Snape continued to glare. "But I feel it is the safest place-"

"How do you, Headmaster, feel that it is the safest place? What makes you think this?" He asked agitated, but Dumbledore kept on smiling.

"Who in their right minds would ever assume that he has taken refugee at your home? Of all the places, that would be the last place anyone would look. Even Voldemort-"

"And how do you know where The Dark Lord will first look? How do you know he isn’t already suspicious of me-"

"And do you feel that he is beginning to become suspicious about your loyalties?"

"No, but-"

"Severus please," Dumbledore said, raising a hand again. Snape just sulked back in his chair and moved his glare to the other Order members in the room.

"Noone would ever look there. Of all the places. He will be safe there until we can sort some things out." Then he turned to Mad-Eye.

"Alastor, go and fetch Harry, will you?" And Mad-Eye nodded and departed from the room.

And it was dead silent for a while. Lupin said he had urgent business to attend to and left, but then again no one spoke. They were all too shocked, worried or angry. Dumbledore, who was watching Snape, and how he seemed he could kill the boy himself, spoke up.

"Severus," he began. "Please. It's only temporary. He is very quiet-"

"Yes," he snapped. "He may be very quiet. But the last thing I need to do is take care of a suicidal fifteen year old-"

They were all quiet when Mad-Eye walked in the room. They all looked up at him, thinking it was Hermione but weren’t disappointed at all. The Twins stood up.

"Great," Fred said. "Is the meeting over?"

"Yes," Mad-Eye said curtly. "But everyone needs to come downstairs. It's urgent-"

"What happened?" George cut in and Ginny clasped her hands over her mouth.

"Is it Percy? Is he hurt-"

"No," and the twins did a fake 'aww', "But maybe if you come downstairs, you will find out." And he lead them down the hall and again, Harry looked away when passing Sirius' bedroom door.

Down the stairs, Harry felt strange and was apprehensive about going into the kitchen. However, right when Mad-Eye was about to open the door, Snape's voice was heard.

"The last thing I need to do," And Mad-Eye opened the door, "Is take care of a suicidal fifteen year old-" And the room fell silent when they all walked in and everyone who was already in the kitchen looked towards the door where the group was standing. Harry however, felt his heart beat stop. No, he thought and began to back out but Mad-Eye, who was keen and had quick reflexes after being an auror for several years, caught him by the arm and pulled him in.

Harry, first looked at Mrs. Weasley for support, but she was looking down. Then he looked for Lupin in the crowd. Surely he won’t allow this, but Lupin was no where to be seen and Harry felt a small pang in his stomach.

Then he turned to Dumbledore, but found none there.

"No," Harry said angrily. "I wont-"

"Harry," Dumbledore said, almost as if he were as angry as either Harry or Snape. "You will."

"Headmaster, I do believe I should be leaving now. When you're ready, you can simply floo." And Snape left without so much as a glance at the boy who hated him as much as he hated the boy.

"No," Harry began angrily when Snape was gone and Dumbledore looked as mad as he had been the night in his fourth year when they all learned of the imposter Moody-

"Hey," Hermione said as she walked in the door, but slowed her walking pace when she saw everybody's demeanors.

"What’s going on-"

"Ah, Miss Granger," Dumbledore greeted, quickly changing his facial expression again. "I hope you will assist Harry in gathering his things-"

"I don’t have anything," Harry interrupted. "It's all at the Dursleys." But Dumbledore shook his head.

"I had Kingsley bring them over, your things are in the drawing room."

"This is ridiculous!" Harry cried and was about to say something else when Hermione spoke.

"What," Hermione cried. "Is going on?"

"Dumbledore is making me stay with, with..." But he trailed off, somehow finding it that describing it to her was just as hard as thinking about it...accepting it. "With that damn git-"

"Harry," he said sternly. "Enough of this. Go and get your things, now." And Ron, Hermione, Fred, George and Ginny left the room when Harry stalked out mumbling something under his breath.

"That, that crazy old coot!" Harry shouted as he was collecting his things that were in an unorganized pile. "That stupid damned-"

"Harry!" Hermione chastised and Harry glared at her with a parchment and old shirt in his hand.

"What?" He snapped, and Hermione snapped back.

"You don’t have to call him that. If he believes it's for the best-"

"Dammit, Hermione," Ron interfered. "You were saying the most horrible things about Dumbledore at the hospital, but now you're siding with him-"

"Oh, just shut up, Ron!" She shouted and Harry threw his things on the floor angrily.

"How about both of you, just shut the hell up? You've been fighting ever since I got out of that damn hospital! Just shut up!" And he threw the rest of his things that were in his hand into the trunk, so hard it shook it and closed, hard.

"You don’t have to talk to us like that, you know?" Hermione told him quietly, but Harry ignored her.

"I'd rather live at the Dursleys," Harry mumbled and Hermione shook her head.

"You know Harry," she began. "If you were reallythat depressed, to...to do that, you should have simply owl'd us-"

"Go to hell Hermione," Harry shouted, his head snapping up from throwing things in his trunk. "It's not like any of you have lost someone or would know how I was feeling." And he chuckled a little bit before he continued. "I can just hear you now, and he began in a mocking tone. 'Oh Harry, I know how it feels. I read about it you know, since, you know my life has been pretty good I'd thought I'd do research on it-" And Hermione slapped him, hard and Harry felt something warm trickle down his nose. She left up the stairs crying and the rest didn’t say anything, but Ron tossed him a small towel that was on a coffee table and Harry wiped under his nose and found blood when he looked at it.

"She was just trying to help, Harry." Ginny said but Harry shook his head.

"Leave me alone," he told her quietly and grabbed his trunk handle. He wiped the sweat from his brow and took in a deep breath, looking as if he were ten years older. Angrily, he threw himself on a dismal couch and put his head in his hands.

"Why are you so upset?" The voice asked.

"They're making me live with someone I hate."

"Why do you hate him so much?"

"Good question," Harry said. "I'll be sure to ask him for you."

He can’t be that bad,” the voice insisted but Harry paid no attention.

“Come on, mate.” Ron said. “Mad-Eye said it was only for the summer. It’s not like you have to be there forever.”

“Come Potter,” Mad-Eye called from the doorway. It took Harry a little while before he actually stood from where he was sitting. With a few deep breaths, he grabbed his trunk and made his way from the room.

He just wanted to break something.

He just wanted to scream.

This really cannot be happening,” he told the voice just as he was about to push open the door to the kitchen. The voice didn’t reply.

“You will be flooing to Professor Snape’s home, Harry.” Dumbledore said as he walked in and Harry scoffed, making Dumbledore frown, but he didn’t say anything.

Harry calmly put his trunk in the hearth and gave a small farewell smile to Ron and his friends siblings before he went and stood by Dumbledore.

As Dumbledore took a handful of the floo powder in his hand, Harry felt odd, as if he were flooing to his death, and he almost jumped from the hearth to tell Hermione he was sorry for the things he had said, but it was already to late. They were making their way through the floo network and to Snape Manor.

To be continued...
End Notes:
Hope you liked the chapter and I can't wait to finish up the next one. Snape comes out in it, oo.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1532