In Potter's Shoes by slytherensangel26
Summary: Harry has finally had enough of his relatives' abuse and has locked himself in the chamber of secrets. To keep up appearances, Snape has been sent to take Harry's place for the summer.
Categories: Snape Equal Status to Harry > Comrades Snape and Harry Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dudley, Petunia, Remus, Vernon
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Alcohol Use, Physical Punishment Spanking, Profanity, Violence
Prompts: Wake up Call
Challenges: Wake up Call
Series: None
Chapters: 7 Completed: Yes Word count: 7834 Read: 59907 Published: 13 Apr 2008 Updated: 20 May 2008
Healings begin by slytherensangel26
Author's Notes:
Severus relates his experiance and findings to Minerva and Remus.

Remus and Harry have a heart to heart reguarding Sirius' death. Oh and Remus officially becomes Harry's godfather.

Severus administered the final potion as Minerva walked in. The potions master looked up in time to see Remus Lupin come in after her.

“How is Mister Potter, Severus?”

Snape put a cork in the now empty bottle and set it down on the tray that was next to the bed.

“Damn boy…I wish he had the brains to come to me or someone…I struggle to fathom how the boy has lasted this long.”

“With all due respect Snape, I fear that Harry thought you hated him.” said the werewolf in a reluctant tone.

“I doubt he would come to you for anything…not if he fears you.”

Severus had to admit that Lupin was right. He had been a right git to the boy. Hopefully, he could find a way to befriend the young wizard. With Voldemort on the loose the boy would need all the help and support he could get.

But Severus was too proud to admit that Lupin’s comment was spot on. He pretended not to hear it and continued his sentence.

“Potter is not the proper size or weight for a 15 year old boy. He’ll need extra nutrient potions over the summer to get him to where he should be.”

Severus pulled a blanket over the now deeply sleeping wizard and led the other two visitors to the main room.

“However, we are fortunate that he has built up some muscle due to his Quittadge playing.”

Severus took a deep breath and continued his report.

“During my time at the Dursley’s house, I experienced first hand the abuse that Harry no doubt had to endure all these years. Although I have now healed my self completely of all damage done to me. I am afraid that it will take more time to heal Potter.”

Severus closed his eyes.

“There is more, while I was in the chamber talking with Potter…I was privy to the fact that Harry was abused and exploited in way’s that would make even Malfoy blanche. He will need a lot of therapy to help him overcome all this. If we expect him to one day face the Dark Lord, we need him to be strong not only in body but also mind and spirit…or the boy is doomed as well as the wizarding world.”

This new information was met with silence. Severus lifted his gaze to see a look of shock on Minerva’s face and a look of barely contained anger on Lupin’s face.

Mc Gonnagal shocked silence didn’t last for long. It changed into seething anger that would befit a mother cougar.

“I knew those Muggles were no good. I warned Albus. But did he listen to me…NO! Well that will soon change.”

“Minerva, you know that isn’t possible.” said Severus in a soft voice. “I would love to avenge my self on them, but we cannot go attacking them. We would loose our reputation’s as law abiding citizens…maybe even our jobs.”

Until now Remus had been quietly listening to the exchange between the two Professors. The heightened senses that came with his furry little problem had already told him that they were being spied on. His sensitive hearing told him about the extendable ear that was being used to eavesdrop. He could hear the slight buzzing of the speaker on the other end. And so, he suddenly spoke up.

“I guess all we can do is stay by Harry’s side and hope that those blasted Dursley’s get what they deserve…” Lupin trailed off as he walked back to the bed Harry lay in and sat down in the chair next to it.

Severus and Minerva followed him back into the room and gave him a quizzical look. Remus said nothing more and gave a grim smile.

“So, I am to be Harry’s new godfather.”

“yes, we have talked this over and you would be the best man for the job. As you are the last of the marauders, and I am sure James would be turning in his grave if I were to take over as God Father.”

There was a brief pause.

“And where will we live and what will we do when the full moon comes around?”

“Simple Lupin, I will come around with your potion and just to be sure Harry will be safe he will spend those nights at the Weasley residence.”

“I will also be overseeing Potter’s care. I trust no one else. Since I have experienced the abuse first hand, I can help him.”

I have much to make up for with him. Snape thought to himself.

* * *

A few hours later Harry woke up to see Remus Lupin sitting in the chair next to his bed.

“Good even Mr. Potter. How are you feeling?”

“Hungry…and confused…why am I in the…oh right.“

Harry quickly remembered everything that had happened.

Oh damn! They know…

Harry sat up in his bed and reached for his glasses which Remus handed to him.

“Thanks…but what brings you here?”

Lupin smiled at him. “I was summoned here by Dumbledore. And I wanted to visit my protégé. I hear you made an excellent teacher.” Lupin sighed. “If only your dad could have seen you in action. He’d have been proud.”

Harry grinned.

“Really?”

“Yes…well except for the part of walking into a trap…but if it hadn’t been for your lessons, you and your friends wouldn’t have stood a chance.”

Harry frowned at the mention of the battle. It reminded him of the fact that he had lost Sirius Black…his godfather.

“But, I got Sirius killed.”

Lupin sat up looking Harry.

“You didn’t get him killed, Harry, From what I heard, you tried to check the story with the wretched house elf Kreacher. You did what you thought you had to do.”

“we both miss Sirius…you lost your only chance to get out of your relatives’ house.”

“But Professor Snape said I wouldn’t have to go back there!”

“No, Harry you won’t ever have to go back there. In fact you will be staying with me from now on.”

Harry shot his professor a confused look.

Remus pressed on. “I can never replace Sirius. He was one in a billion but Dumbledore and I have discussed it and I am to be your new Godfather. He thinks that your Dad would have wanted you to stay with one of his fellow marauders and since I’m the only one left…” Remus trailed off.

Harry was smiling now. “That’s a brilliant idea.”

“I’m glad you think so…tonight we make it official. I will be taking the vow of guardian ship…it will make me Godfather and then the blood protection will be transferred to where ever we live.”

“And where will that be?”

"That is up to you. It seems that when Sirius died, he left everything he owned to you. You own #12 Grimmuld place, Kreacher, all the money in the bank accounts. The entire fortune…if Sirius owned it, you own it now.”

I heard that the Black family had a small little cottage by the sea not too far away. Lots of room. But we don’t have to discuss that right now.” Remus now had a mischievous glint in his eye.

“So what is this I hear about you having an affair with a certain witch by the name of Cho Chang?”

Harry groaned.

***

That evening after dinner a small ceremony took place in the headmaster’s office.

Remus stood across from Harry and they clasped hands. Dumbledore was there to perform the spell and Minerva and Snape were there to act as witnesses.

Dumbledore lightly touched his wand to their clasped hands and spoke in a soft voice.

“Do you Remus John Lupin swear by all magic kind to be Harry’s godfather…to watch over him and raise him as if he were your own son and to protect him from all harm to the best of your abilities till the end of your days?”

As Dumbledore said this tiny strands of red and gold came from the wand and wrapped themselves about the joined limbs.

“Yes.”

Remus looked Harry is the eyes. “I solemnly swear by all that is magical to watch over you and raise you as if you were my own son and to protect you from all harm to the best of my abilities. Till the day I die.”

“Do you Harry James Potter, accept this man as your godfather till the end of your days?”

“Yes.”

“Then by all that is magical I declare you Remus John Lupin, Godfather.

On hearing those words a warm glow filled the both of them.

Finally…I am free!

The End.
End Notes:
I am not sure how they pass on guardianship in the HP univers so i just took a stab in the dark (No flaming please!)

Next up! A bit of mischief and some fun.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1535