Never Again! by Snapegirl
Past Featured StorySummary: When Severus adopted 6 year old Harry Potter, he vowed that Harry would never know the abuse he had suffered as a child. But what happens when Severus is attacked and falls into a coma and the Ministry decides to turn Harry over to his next of kin—Tobias Snape! Will Harry survive?
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape, Healer Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Original Character, Tobias Snape
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Child fic
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Alcohol Use, Character Death, Physical Punishment Spanking, Neglect, Profanity, Violence
Prompts: Tobias Snape
Challenges: Tobias Snape
Series: Never Again!
Chapters: 20 Completed: Yes Word count: 91005 Read: 162320 Published: 14 Apr 2008 Updated: 03 May 2008
The Unwanted Brat by Snapegirl
Author's Notes:
Tobias's reaction to having to take in Harry.

If anyone had ever told Tobias that he would one day be required to take care of his son's child, he would have laughed in their face and asked what they'd been drinking. He hadn't seen Severus since that fateful night of Eileen's funeral, when Severus was eighteen. Tobias had been roaring drunk, as usual, and had said something cutting about his late wife, and Severus had taken offense at it.

An argument had followed and Tobias had tried to hit his son, forgetting that Severus was no longer a child, and was now bigger and stronger than his father. Severus had grabbed hold of Tobias's wrist in a painful vise-like grip and snarled, "Hit me ever again, old man, and I'll send you to hell in a bloody handbasket! I'm not the helpless kid you used to beat senseless anymore!" Then he'd slammed his father in the jaw with a sudden right cross that left Tobias sprawled on the floor and strode out of the house, saying over his shoulder, "Goodbye, old man, this is the last time you'll ever see my face here again. I only stayed because of Mum, but now she's gone, and so am I. Enjoy the solitude, you miserable son of a bitch!"

That had been the last time he had seen or spoken to his son, who had always been a pain in Tobias's arse, a rebellious disrespectful freak, just like his mother, Eileen. He had been glad to see the back of his son, who had always been a defiant headstrong brat, despite all Tobias's attempts to teach him discipline and respect for his father.

Now here was this ancient looking codger calling himself Albus Dumbledore-what the hell kind of name was that? Sounded like a flaming nancy-boy, thought the elder Snape scornfully-ringing the bell and telling him he was now the official guardian of Severus's brat Harry. And all because his dumbass son had gotten himself beaten up by some group of wizard fanatics called Death Eaters.

That was typical of Severus. He'd never known when to back down, shut up, and mind his own bloody business. He was always sticking his nose where it didn't belong. And now because of it Tobias was stuck with his brat, a six-year-old little snot, just like his father.

He would have slammed the door in the old codger's face, but something in the other's manner had prevented Tobias from doing that. Perhaps it was the fact that the man-Albus Bumble-whatever-managed to radiate a distinct aura of danger, even though Tobias was bigger and stronger than the old man, he got the impression that Dumbledore could take him apart if he chose. The old man claimed he was a wizard, like Severus and Eileen, and Tobias had never felt comfortable around those who wielded magic. Magic and Tobias had never mixed.

Not since the day his four-year-old son had summoned a glass off of a shelf because he was thirsty and Tobias had been too drunk to get it for him. Not only had one glass come at Severus's gesture, but seven or eight and all of them had shattered on the floor before the boy could prevent it. The horrendously loud sound had exploded in Tobias's eardrums like eight thousand grenades and he'd screamed and jumped to his feet, reached out a hand and grabbed his startled son and proceeded to whale the daylights out of him for being such a destructive little snot.

That had been the first time he'd beaten his son, though it wouldn't be the last. Tobias had a matchstick temper and little control over it when it flared. His son had always caught the brunt of it, and sometimes his wife as well.

But this old wizard with his pansy purple robes and spectacles frightened the elder Snape in a way he could not comprehend, but nevertheless felt keenly. So he had allowed Dumbledore into the house and permitted the wizard to tell him about how Severus was in a coma and he, as Severus's only living next of kin, was now to become guardian of one Harry James Severus Potter.

"Can't somebody else take the brat?" Tobias had growled, wishing like hell he had a beer. This was all he needed, to be saddled with Severus's whiny, mouthy, smartass kid.

"I'm afraid there is no one else, Mr. Snape," Dumbledore said gravely. "As Harry's grandfather, you are his closest living relative, his maternal grandparents are both dead these two years past."

"Wonderful. Bloody F-ing wonderful!" Tobias swore heatedly. "I just come out of the damn clinic and have plans to start my life over again and my idiot son has to go and get himself put in a coma. Bugger it all!" The man's dark eyes narrowed. "How come you or one of your little magicky pals can't take care of Severus's kid?"

"By our laws, Harry must be taken in by a relative first, if one is available. You are, being of sound mind and body and employed. You do have gainful employment, Mr. Snape?"

"Yeah, yeah. I work three nights a week down at the docks, helpin' them unload and all that. Good enough for ya, mister?"

Dumbledore nodded. "And I may assume from your earlier statement that you no longer imbibe alcohol?"

Tobias snorted. This guy talked like something out of an encyclopedia, almost like his son did, using four-syllable words when two would do, the arsehole. "Sure, old man, I don't drink anymore. Haven't touched a drop in three weeks," he assured the wizard. He shifted on the worn cushioned kitchen chair.

They were seated in the kitchen, at the scuffed old table, Tobias feeling acutely uncomfortable despite this being his own home, and Dumbledore looking completely relaxed and at ease, smiling slightly.

"Good. Good. I am relieved to hear that, Mr. Snape. We wouldn't want young Harry exposed to drunkenness at such a young age, children are far too impressionable. Very well, if you would please sign here," He pushed a form across the table and Tobias stared at it suspiciously.

"What's it for?"

"A consent form, a mere formality required by my Ministry, saying you agree to care for Harry until Severus is able to resume his duties as Harry's father."

Tobias scowled down at the paper. "How long will that be? I'm not gonna be looking out for the bloody brat forever, y'know."

"It is difficult to say, Mr. Snape. But thus far, your son's prognosis looks to be a case of severe brain bruising and a little internal bleeding. They do not fear brain damage, but he will remain in a coma for possible a month or longer, maybe up to a year."

Tobias groaned and wondered if there were any way he could palm the kid off on someone, but he had few friends and he had a feeling these people would take a dim view of him trying to sell the kid on the street corner for some extra cash.

He picked up the weird looking quill pen the old coot handed him and signed the bottom of the form in a swift scrawl. "Done. Now where's the kid? I need to lay down some ground rules right away, I ain't having Severus's brat running wild."

"He is at the hospital, waiting for you to arrive." Dumbledore answered. "Please try and be compassionate, Mr. Snape. Harry has already lost his mother and he is understandably fearful about losing his father as well. He will need your support and reassurance during this difficult time."

Tobias sneered slightly, not bothering to tell the doddering fool that he wasn't the touchy feely type at all. All that hugs and kisses crap was for sissies and women. Real men didn't do that and he never had with his own son, he sure as hell wasn't going to start now with his grandson. The kid was a boy, he'd learn to act tough and not be a whiny crybaby or Tobias would give him a reason to cry all right.

"Sure, whatever, mate. Just so the kid knows to mind his mouth and his manners, I don't put up with any disrespect. My son would tell you that."

"Harry is a very polite and intelligent boy, I'm sure you will have no trouble with him."

"Huh! If he's anything like Severus, he'll be more trouble than he's worth." Tobias rose to his feet, brushing back a stray lock of his blond hair, which he kept cut short in military fashion, he'd served a term in the army once. "C'mon, old man, let's get a move on. I don't have all day."

"Take my arm, if you would," Dumbledore instructed. "We shall be Apparating to St. Mungos, the hospital where Severus works at as a Healer and is currently being treated there as well."

Tobias reluctantly grasped the wizard's arm. "So, my son's a bleeding doctor then. Figures. He never had the stomach for a real man's job, like the military or working the docks or construction. Too bloody afraid of getting his hands dirty."

"I would not think Severus was afraid of an honest day's work," rebuked Dumbledore softly. "He is very well respected in his field and indeed has two masteries, Medicine and Potions, a very great achievement for one so young. You ought to be proud of your son, Mr. Snape. He is a very talented wizard."

Tobias rolled his eyes. "Severus was always too damn smart for his own good. I just hope this kid of his behaves himself and doesn't give me a hard time. I don't put up with no spoiled brats."

"Severus did not spoil Harry, I assure you. Now, close your eyes, Mr. Snape, and breathe in and out twice."

Tobias obeyed and Dumbledore Apparated, within seconds they had arrived at St. Mungos and Tobias was staring down at a bed in which rested his adult son, looking like he was taking a Sunday snooze, the bloody bounder.

Before he could say anything, a small voice spoke up from the opposite side of the bed, and a tousled-haired boy sat up from where he'd been nestled against his dad's side. "Hello. Are you my grandpa? My name's Harry. What's your name?"

Tobias scowled at the kid, with his messy dark hair and bright green eyes. An imp if he ever saw one. "Name's Tobias, kid. But to you, I'm sir. Got that?"

"Uh huh." Harry nodded uncertainly. His grandpa didn't seem too friendly, not like Uncle Al.

"That's yes sir, boy," reprimanded Tobias.

"Yes sir, Grandpa," Harry repeated obediently, wondering why he had to say that to Tobias when he hadn't done anything wrong. Daddy only made him say sir when he was in trouble. "Daddy's sleeping, ‘cause he was hurt awful bad by the masked men," Harry informed his grandfather. "So now I've got to stay at your house till he wakes up." He gazed wistfully at his father, his lower lip trembling. "Bye, Daddy. Get well soon. I miss you." He leaned over and kissed Severus's cheek. "Love you," he whispered and two tears fell onto the sleeping Master Healer's face.

"Let's go, kid. Get your stuff and move your arse," Tobias said gruffly.

Harry obeyed, picking up his backpack with all his books and Dumbledore shrank his trunk and stuck it in his pocket. "Come along, Harry. We musn't keep your grandfather waiting."

"Okay, Uncle Al. I'm coming," shrilled the child. He hugged the comatose Severus one last time, sniffling sharply. "Wake up soon, Daddy. Please. Then we can go home."

He hopped off the bed and came to stand next to Dumbledore, who picked him up and held him close, bade Tobias to take his arm, and they were Apparated back to Tobias's house on Spinner's End in a twinkling.

Dumbledore asked Tobias if he would mind if he helped Harry unpack. Tobias shrugged and told him to go right ahead. "But after you're done, kid, we need to have a little talk about the rules here. Got me?"

"Yes sir," answered the six-year-old.

"Come along, Harry," Dumbledore beckoned him up the stairs to the bedroom that had once belonged to young Sev. "This used to be your dad's room, I think. Let's get you settled in, shall we?"

"Okay, Uncle Al," agreed the boy and his eyes lit up when the old wizard drew his wand. He loved it when Uncle Al or Daddy or Uncle Matt did magic. It was like the coolest thing ever!

All too soon, however, everything was unpacked, put away in the small dresser and closet and Harry's favorite stuffed animal, a toy panther named Inky was resting on his pillow. His books were on the small desk next to the bed. The bed itself was covered in a plain faded blue comforter and the walls were painted in the same dusky shade. The floor was bare and Harry's shoes clattered upon it loudly as he ran and hugged the old wizard, burying his face in his robes.

"D'you have to go, Uncle Al?" he whimpered, clutching Dumbledore tightly. "I don't want you to leave me here by myself."

Dumbledore patted the boy on the head, already feeling guilty about leaving Harry with this unfriendly Muggle. "I know, little one, but you're not alone, you're with your grandfather."

"I . . .I don't know if I like him. He's grouchy. And he doesn't smile like you."

"Harry, perhaps you can make him smile, huh?" Dumbledore held the boy close, wishing he could assume responsibility for Harry himself. "By being good and obeying him like you would your daddy, okay? Can you do that for me, Harry?"

"Yes. I can do it. I'm good all the time."

"Really?"

Harry bit his lip. That wasn't quite true and so he said, "Uh, well ‘cept when I forget and I'm bad." Then he added, "But I'm good mostly all the time."

"I know, child. You try very hard to be a good boy and I'm proud of you. So is your daddy."

"I wish he'd wake up. I wanna go home!" the child bawled, tears falling rapidly down his cheeks.

"Hush, little one." The old wizard held and rocked the child, muffling his cries in his robes so the man downstairs would not hear. Albus sensed that Tobias was not the kind of man to be sympathetic to tears, even when Harry had a good reason for crying. He walked up and down the room, rubbing Harry's back gently while the child sobbed. "There, there. Everything will be all right."

How he wished he could believe that! He prayed Severus would awaken soon, for he had serious misgivings about leaving Harry here. Severus had never discussed his childhood or his father with anyone and Dumbledore worried that it was because he wished to forget it. After meeting Tobias, Albus could understand why.

Eventually Harry stopped crying and Dumbledore washed his face with a wet cloth he conjured and set the child down. "Harry, I'm sorry, but I really have to be going. Hopefully you and your grandpa will get along fine. Listen to him and don't ask too many questions and don't answer him back and you should be fine. Can you remember all that?"

"Course! I'm not stupid!" the boy said indignantly.

"Good. I hope your father awakes soon and you can go home."

"Me too." Harry sighed. Then he flung his arms around the purple robed Headmaster and whispered, "I'll miss you, Uncle Al. Goodbye!"

"Goodbye, Harry. Remember, once I'm gone, go downstairs and talk to your grandfather. He's waiting for you."

"Okay," Harry agreed, then reluctantly released Dumbledore's robes.

The old wizard vanished, leaving Harry alone in a strange house with a grandfather who did not seem to want him. Shrugging, the little boy went downstairs and found Tobias seated on the worn leather sofa, watching TV and eating a bag of pretzels.

Nervously, he approached the man.

Tobias looked up and a sneer formed over his handsome features. "Sit down, kid. I'm only gonna say this once, so listen up."

Harry sat down on the sofa on the opposite side and folded his hands in his lap, waiting for his grandfather to continue.

The End.
End Notes:
So what do you think is in store for poor Harry?

Next-Tobias tells Harry the rules of the Snape household.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1537