Dumbledore's Orders by Lotiolentus
Summary: When Shacklebolt and Snape are sent to check on six year old Harry, they are not prepared for the shock. However, someone does not want Harry to leave the Dursleys. Not AU, pretty much in line with the Original.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Professor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Charlie, Dudley, Dumbledore, Hedwig, Petunia, Shacklebolt, Vernon
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11), 6th Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Physical Punishment Spanking, Neglect, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 10 Completed: Yes Word count: 8333 Read: 53911 Published: 15 Apr 2008 Updated: 16 Apr 2008
Chapter 10 - Decisions. by Lotiolentus
Author's Notes:
It just doesn't work out the way we want to, does it?

Harry looked from Dumbledore to Snape to McGonnagall. The discussion about Harry's future, about the Dursleys, about the wards was becoming more and more heated.

"...maybe he can stay at the Weasleys..."

"...too dangerous..."

"...maybe at school?..."

"...what about the wards? He is not safe here..."

"...the wards are the only thing Lily left for him..."

"...Mr. Dursley could go to Azkaban... Harry could stay with his aunt..."

"...she's no better..."

"...could stay with Professor Snape. No-one would suspect him there..."

At this, Harry looked up. Horrified.

"...No. Meetings are at Spinner's End."

"...of course. I forgot..."

"He could stay in the room of Requirement. With Mrs. Dursley. We could stun her or something..."

Harry got more and more nervous. He felt like a burden. Like he was being too much trouble. The ideas got increasingly absurd and he detested the thought of decisions about his life being made by others. Maybe he was old enough to take some responsibility himself?

"Stop!" he shouted and suddenly felt very uncomfortable because the three older wizards did indeed stop and stared at him.

Snape still seemed to have his wits about him.

"Ten points from Gryffindor for yelling at teachers." His characteric sneer was back and he folded his arms, pretending to be interested in what Harry had to say.

"Severus..." McGonnagall protested "you and your points. You hardly ever follow through anyway. You just say it to intimidate but then don't actually deduct..."

Snape glared at her and she fell silent.

Harry licked his lips and started to speak, staring at his shoes.

"The wards... where the last thing my mother left for me. It feels like betraying her if I don't use them. If I get permission to use defensive magic, or it's undetectable or something, I could stay for another summer. Just..."

He hung his head a little, knowing that this sounded like a plea.

"...just send me some food and someone to check up on me every few days. If they think I can use magic, I will be fine."

Dumbledore, McGonnagall and Snape regarded him. Too long, for Harry's taste.

Then McGonnagall and Snape looked at Dumbledore, as if they were waiting for a decision.

"Harry. I respect your decision. We will make sure that you will not be exposed to any more physical damage on the hands of your relatives. The emotional abuse however..." The old professor stopped mid-sentence.

Harry, who was cleaning his glasses nervously, raised one hand and interrupted him. "Don't worry. I'm used to that."

Still without his glasses, he gave Snape, whom he could only see blurred, a glare.

The potions master quickly turned away.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1541