Dumbledore's Orders by Lotiolentus
Summary: When Shacklebolt and Snape are sent to check on six year old Harry, they are not prepared for the shock. However, someone does not want Harry to leave the Dursleys. Not AU, pretty much in line with the Original.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Professor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Charlie, Dudley, Dumbledore, Hedwig, Petunia, Shacklebolt, Vernon
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11), 6th Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Physical Punishment Spanking, Neglect, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 10 Completed: Yes Word count: 8333 Read: 53906 Published: 15 Apr 2008 Updated: 16 Apr 2008
Chapter 4 - Unexpected help by Lotiolentus
Author's Notes:
Some relief, at last.

Kingsley Shacklebolt could not believe what he saw. Never. Never would he have thought that Potter, The famous Harry Potter, the boy who lived, was being treated worse than the Malfoy house elf. He didn't seem bigger than a house elf either, his bones stuck out on his shoulders, his trousers were so big, Harry had fastened them with a string. The auror was deeply ashamed of himself. He should have made sure! He should have kept checking! Kingsley gave Snape a quick look whose face seemed to have lost all blood and was breathing heavily.

"Professor Snape..." Severus raised his hand to give his 'leave me be, I am just fine' gesture. Kingsley mustered him and wondered if Harry's state was the only reason the professor seemed to so aghast.

"Mr. Shacklebolt," he started "I will tend to the boy. If he needs to go to St. Mungus you can take him by side along apparition. However, Dumbledore said, it would be better to mend him here. As soon as Potter leaves this house, he is in grave danger. Almost all Death Eaters are released now."

Kingsley gave a curt nod. "Have you brought potions with you Professor?" Snape nodded. He seemed to look rather indecisive.

"Professor, I deal with the Dursleys tomorrow morning. I can use my position as deputy head master of the primary school. "And Severus," Kingsley stepped uncomfortably from one foot to another. "...be careful. Be kind. He is not James, but a frightened, ill child who only resembles him."

Snape stood up and his face hardened. Without a word he opened the locked door of the little cold shed and entered while Shacklebolt continued to observe the muggles.

Before he even said hello to the boy who was busy oiling a chain, he cast a cleaning, a tidying and enlargement charm upon the little shed. He then transformed Dudley's bike into a hospital bed. He also cast a disinfective and a warming spell. With satisfaction, he watched the reaction of the boy who looked so amazed Snape wondered if his eyes would pop out. Those eyes...

"Lie down Potter."

The boy gulped and obeyed. He seemed a little scared, and was trying very hard to cover up the marks on his bony body. Snape scanned his body with his wand and stopped at Potter's back.

"What's wrong with your back?"

The boy vigorously shook his head.

"Nothing Sir. I just..."

Snape hesitated for a moment wondering...

"I have to check it. It could be infected."

The scared boy climbed further into the bed as if he was trying to make himself invisible.

"I can't Sir. Aunst Petunia says that if people find out how bad I am, I will have to go to an institution. A terrible institution where people where the demented suck out your soul and you die and there..."

Snape was usually impatient when dealing with illogical children, but he knew. Knew not only that in fact he was the one who told Petunia about Dementors and Azkaban, also the child's tendency to believe the most absurd things when repeated many times. He knew.

With a flick of a wand, Severus undressed the child, only to leave his greying underwear on. Not many people knew, that Snape had actually intended to be a healer, but it was made impossible at the time.

He reckoned that the boy in front of him was technically his enemy, but whenever someone was in such a bad state, Snape was able to shut out all emotions, occlude his mind and get on with the work.

The sight of that frail body however disturbed him. His body was covered in bruises that were definitely man-made. His back was covered in buckle belt marks and scars. Some months old, some only a few hours old. He had had a few broken bones, but there were healed now. Not by professional muggles though, just healed in its own. The left side of his face swollen, his eye almost shut. His upper arms were blue, black and green from being grabbed. It would take more than one night to heal him, it would also take months to restore his energy and make up for the poor weigh gain.

Snape quickly grabbed a small book and flicked through until he reached the right page. One thing he had learned about child abuse throughout his career as a teacher was, that one had to be absolutely sure before casting any spells or throw allegations. He began to read and a few things jumped out to him that seemed to fit exactly:

WATCH OUT!

for bruises on the cheeks, (especially fingermarks), bottom, genitals, ears, upper lips, hand marks on the arms. Streaky marks usually result from hitting with the hand or objects.

for bruises on the back and bruises of different colours and age

children who have multiple injuries of different ages are often linked with child abuse

shabby appearance - malnutrition - vitamin deficiency - psycho-social dwarfism - neglect of school attendance

frozen watchfulness

this applies to wizards in muggle born families as well as muggles. Mistreated muggle born wizards can suffer from uncontrolled magical outbursts or reduction or retardation of magical ability.

Severus Snape was sure now. He had been sure before, but hoped that may have been some doubt. He regarded the underweight, battered child and could hardly believe that this was the famous boy who had survived the killing curse. Or that this was James' son. He did resemble him, but it was like a distortion from the real Potter. His eyes were Lily's. It hurt to think about Lily. He couldn't imagine her reaction to the sight that was unfolding in front of him. It wouldn't have happened if...

Severus quickly pushed those thoughts away, occluded his mind and started working. The boy was hardly speaking, but Severus didn't mind that at all. He was here to heal the child's body and not to have childish conversations. His healing potions, pain potions and strengthening potions began to work.

The boy showed more interest in his surroundings now, he showed particular interest in Snape an the new size of the shed.

"Who are you?"

"I came to heal you. Rest your voice."

The boy seemed deep in thoughts.

"I never been to a doctor. I am glad Aunt Petunia called one for me."

For the time being, Snape left the boy in that belief. He quickly prepared a pain potion and a strengthening potion and passed it to the boy who shook his head and tried to refuse.

"I'm not allowed to drink after- eh- lunchtime."

Severus didn't answer but instead glared at Harry. His eyes pierced the small boy but he kept eye contact.

He then pointed his wand at Potter's lower abdomen and murmured a complicated spell. Who would have thought...

"Drink up Potter. You will be fine."

Harry hesitated a little, but didn't dare to contradict.

Snape didn't close an eye that night. He spent it administering potions, dabbing potions on the bruises and casting complicated spells. He had taken the boy's glasses off and admistered dreamless sleep potion. Without glasses and with his eyes shut he looked more like an ordinary boy than James' and Lily's son.

When the Dursleys went to sleep, Shacklebolt entered the shed and transformed Petunia's bike into a large comfortable seat.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1541