Dumbledore's Orders by Lotiolentus
Summary: When Shacklebolt and Snape are sent to check on six year old Harry, they are not prepared for the shock. However, someone does not want Harry to leave the Dursleys. Not AU, pretty much in line with the Original.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Professor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Charlie, Dudley, Dumbledore, Hedwig, Petunia, Shacklebolt, Vernon
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11), 6th Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Physical Punishment Spanking, Neglect, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 10 Completed: Yes Word count: 8333 Read: 53907 Published: 15 Apr 2008 Updated: 16 Apr 2008
Chapter 9 - Confusion by Lotiolentus
Author's Notes:
There are bad apples everywhere...

Harry just kept his head down when McGonnagal and Dumbledore came back. He didn't want to see them, didn't want them to look at him either.

After a few minutes of silence, Dumbledore tried to speak. It only worked at the second attempt.

"Severus..." he whispered. "I had sent you to check on him when he was a small child. You betrayed my trust. You told me he was..." just like his father. Spoilt. Hexing his cousin. "Well looked after."

Harry glared at Snape. It was hard to believe that anyone's hatred could go that far. That a teacher would...

"That was a lie!" Harry blurted out.

"You did come and spent all night in that horrible shed putting potions on me and mumbling stuff. You even made it bigger and warmer. And you gave me about twenty different potions to drink and Kingsley Shacklebolt left food. And he promised to come back and get me..."

Harry lowered his gaze. His rage was enough for ten people and he feared he would completely lose it in front of everyone.

Minerva and Albus gave Snape a shocked look. Snape's wand flew out his pocket and landed in Dumbledore's hand.

"Severus..."

Snape raised both hands, gesturing that he would not escape, not resist, do nothing but explain.

"Professor Dumbledore," he started, giving him a pleading look. "If that was true, why would I have showed you two that memory? You have my word. I didn't know. When I went to check on Potter all these years ago he was more than fine. Being spoilt and served and showing all the bad behaviours his father once did. Give me my wand and I will show you."

Albus hesitated, but then agreed. Snape had some difficulty pulling this memory out. It wasn't the usual consistency, but stringy and greyish.

Dumbledore shook his head in disbelief. "Severus, I will not not even bother to look at this. It has been tampered with as you can see."

Snape looked shocked and surprised. He was either an excellent actor or he really had no idea what was going on.

"I-I.. didn't have... my wand that day. I couldn't have done it...", he murmured.

Dumbledore came closer to listen to Snape.

"I didn't have a wand when I came back. Something happened. I think I have been confunded. Maybe that is how my wand..."

Dumbledore looked at the memory again. He also remembered that Snape indeed had to see Ollivander that day.

"Severus. Lower your shields. I will perform a spell that breaks the confundus charm and I will be able to see.

Without words, Dumbledore cast his spell at Snape and McGonnagall and Harry were left alone. Harry could feel her glance on him, but didn't want to look up at all.

"Harry..." she whispered and came a little closer. "I am so sorry."

Harry didn't react. He had always wondered why Dumbledore had given him to the Dursleys, knew how hard his life there was and still sent him back every summer. He was still shocked that Snape's hatred towards him had nearly cost him his life.

He glanced at the two. Dumbledore looked gravely serious, Snape seemed to be in a lot of pain. Harry smirked a little. Did him right. Legilimency was painful. Snape wasn't even allowed to defend himself.

Dumbledore pulled back his wand and stared at Severus with utter astonishment.

"LUCIUS!" they shouted at the same time.

"He was the one who confunded Severus", Dumbledore said to Minerva and Harry. "His magical powers were enormous because he hadn't been allowed to use magic for years. The day I sent Kingsley and Severus to check on Harry was the day Lucius was released."

Minerva looked a little confused.

"Why," she asked, "Why would Malfoy want Harry to stay with those muggles?"

Snape knew the answer to this question.

"Because there would have been a chance that they destroyed him. Or his magic. Lucius would have done the Dark Lord a huge favour without having to dirty his own hands."

Dumbledore nodded.

Minerva had another question.

"Did he take Severus' wand, too? She still didn't quite trust Snape so addressed the question to Dumbledore.

Albus hesitated for a few seconds. Then quickly glanced at Snape and nodded.

"Yes Minerva. He did indeed."

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1541