Dumbledore's Orders by Lotiolentus
Summary: When Shacklebolt and Snape are sent to check on six year old Harry, they are not prepared for the shock. However, someone does not want Harry to leave the Dursleys. Not AU, pretty much in line with the Original.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Professor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Charlie, Dudley, Dumbledore, Hedwig, Petunia, Shacklebolt, Vernon
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11), 6th Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Physical Punishment Spanking, Neglect, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 10 Completed: Yes Word count: 8333 Read: 53910 Published: 15 Apr 2008 Updated: 16 Apr 2008

1. Chapter 1 - Dumbledore's Office by Lotiolentus

2. Chapter 2 - The Mission by Lotiolentus

3. Chapter 3 - Hunger and pain by Lotiolentus

4. Chapter 4 - Unexpected help by Lotiolentus

5. Chapter 5 - Petunia's Revenge by Lotiolentus

6. Chapter 6 - Remedial Potions continues by Lotiolentus

7. Chapter 7 - Another attempt by Lotiolentus

8. Chapter 8 - Waiting by Lotiolentus

9. Chapter 9 - Confusion by Lotiolentus

10. Chapter 10 - Decisions. by Lotiolentus

Chapter 1 - Dumbledore's Office by Lotiolentus
Author's Notes:
Arabella is worried.

Professor Dumbledore's face expression changed from worried to annoyed, to proud, to amused within seconds. He was reading the latest O.W.L. results.

Suddenly a loud thump caused him to jump in his seat. He looked at the window as he was sure the source of the noise was there. Rolling his eyes, he stood up and opened the window. Errol. The old owl which belonged to the Weasleys. He sighed, shook his head and unrolled the parchment. He wondered, why the ministry wasn't paying Mr. Weasley more than minimum wage. He had seven children to raise, all of them promising wizards. Still deep in his thoughts, he read the letter:

"Dear Professor Dumbledore,

I must inform you, that after years of delay, Lucius Malfoy will be found innocent of all charges tomorrow morning. He claims that he had been under the Imperius Curse all these years. Your visit therefore, must be today, as he will be in possession of his wand from tomorrow onwards.

Yours sincerely, Arthur Weasley.

P.S. I hope Errol hasn't lost the truffels that I got for your birthday."

Albus gave the owl another quick look and saw that he had indeed lost the truffles.
With an even deeper sigh, he got paper, quill and ink and started writing:

"Arthur,

I am on my way.

Albus Dumbledore

P.S. Please reconsider my offer to get a new owl for your family."

He rolled and sealed the letter and attached the letter to Errol's foot. This is important Errol."

He whispered before he opened the window.

Today didn't seem to be one of the most pleasant days.

The door knocked. "Come in." It was Charlie Weasley. "Charlie, if this is about your O.W.L results, I did not yet have the time to read it. But I am sure you have done well."

Dumbledore looked at him and suddenly knew that this was not about the results. He spotted the small letter in his hand, delivered by ordinary post. This was never a good sign as it was not yet time for the monthly Potter Report.

"Sit down Charlie. Have a biscuit. I would offer you some truffels you know, but Errol lost them."

Charlie smiled apologetically.

Dumbledore opened the letter and his face expression became instantly serious.

"Dear Professor Dumbledore,

Harry Potter has not left the house for two weeks. I very rarely hear him either. His cousin Dudley has accused him last week of eating out the trash can and he was not allowed to leave the house since. One eye is swollen shut.. I am very worried.

Yours sincerely,

Arabella Figg."

Dumbledore stroked his beard and his forehead. Both requests had to be dealt with immediately. He hesitated for a moment before he spoke again.

"Charlie, go fetch Professor Snape. Go as fast as you can and tell him it's urgent."

Charlie nodded and hurried out the room. Dumbledore picked up another piece of paper and quickly wrote:

"Dear Mr. Shacklebolt,

Harry Potter does not seem to be looked after properly. I do not understand how he could be locked inside Privet Drive for the past two weeks without you noticing.

I order you to my office immediately.

Albus Dumbledore"

Hedwig, the most beautiful owl the school had yet seen appeared on Dumbledore's window. He quickly rolled the parchment, attached it to her foot and told her where to go. "As fast you can, Hedwig."

The owl gave a slight nod and flew out the window.

The End.
Chapter 2 - The Mission by Lotiolentus
Author's Notes:
Of course Snape has to go.

Severus Snape entered the office. He seemed to be slightly out of breath.

"Sit down Severus. There is something I need you to do. Snape sat down wordlessly. He did not stop gazing at Dumbledore. A small wrinkle appeared on his forehead, making him look even more sour than he usually did.

"Severus, Lucius Malfoy will be in repossession of his wand from tomorrow onwards. He will be found innocent of all charges. It is time to pay him a visit."

Snape looked confused. "Professor" you know I can't. I will not be allowed anywhere near Malfoy Manor. Not yet anyway."

Dumbledore regarded the pale Professor. The cynical, suspicious side in the potions master had honestly believed, that he would send him to risk his life for a more or less routine visitation of a former death eater. Malfoy Manor was still guarded by dementors. Lucius and Narcissa were wandless and were not able to defend themselves or any intrusor. And the dementors would surely not be too happy about the presence of Snape. Dumbledore smiled giggled inside at the thought of a happy Dementor. And - most importantly - Snape would never lower his guard and let anyone see the shape of his patronus. And his shield would not be able to fight the large amount of dementors that were guarding Malfoy Manor.

Severus seemed to relax a little. Dumbledore felt a little bit sorry for him because he reckoned that the potions master would not like the task Dumbledore did have for him.

"Minerva will be represent me today." Snape looked rather confused again. Dumbledore could read his face expression and sense his mood better than anyone else. The slightest movement in that sour, pale face gave him clues.

"I can see you wonder what I called you for. Cup of tea?"

Snape slowly shook his head. "What is it you want me to do?" he asked.

Dumbledore passed him Arabella Figg's letter and Snape read it in seconds.

"Professor, you want me to go there? Me? I can't. I would happily take Minerva's place today. She knows Privet Drive, she knows the Dursleys a little.

Dumbledore stood up and walked towards the office door. "So do you Severus. It has to be you. You are the best Legilimens I know. Kingsley Shacklebolt will join you today.

Talking about the devil...

The tall auror with the deep voice came running down the corridor towards Dumbledore.

"Professor, I had no idea. The boy seemed fit for school only two weeks ago. I do admit he looks a little thin and pale, and he seems to be rather clumsy as he seems to have fresh bruises every..."

All of a sudden Shacklebolt lowered his head.

"Professor, I am so so sorry. I should have known."

Yes, Kingsley, you should have. Mrs. Figg is a squib. She can only pass information but not be of more practical use. She cannot reveal sympathy for Harry because the Dursleys will not let the two communicate otherwise. And, if I may ask, why haven't you reported to me that he hasn't been to school for almost two weeks?"

Shacklebolt seemed to find his feet rather interesting. "Because it is school holidays for muggles. They end next week."

Dumbledore sighed. After a few reports from Mrs. Figg he had decided that it would be best to have a wizard keep an eye on Harry. Kingsley Shacklebolt felt rather at home in the muggle world, so he did not discuss when he was appointed deputy head of Harry's primary school. He had made sure Harry got enough food at school, stayed out of too much trouble and had a place to go when his cousin Dudley decided to bully him. He wished he could send him elsewhere, but Petunia's blood protected him from Voldemort and his servants until he turned 17.
There was no choice. He rather would interfere a little in the situation he was now than completely take him out and put him at risk of being killed by one former Death Eater. Particularly the one he had to visit today.

With a flick of his wand he removed Shacklebolts earring and dressed Snape in muggle clothes.

"I have things to do now. Good luck to you both."

Snape and Shacklebolt left the room.

The End.
Chapter 3 - Hunger and pain by Lotiolentus
Author's Notes:
The Dursleys are despicable.

Harry stood in the kitchen. He had made food for everyone. Once they had eaten, he had to wash the dishes, clean the surfaces and mop the floor.

He wasn't even allowed to eat any of it. Dudley, fat, mean Dudley had made sure he didn't get any of the leftovers either. Uncle Vernon had once again proclaimed that he would not get meals for a week. Last night he was so hungry, he ate out the trash can. He had to eat something, he felt so weak and bony. How he loathed the holidays.

He would much rather be at school, at least he got one meal a day and wasn't constantly punished. He was a good student but he sometimes noticed the odd look that some teachers gave him. He would have been better even if the Dursleys weren't so eager in making sure he wasn't that much better than Dudley.

Still, better than here. He took his glasses off and let out a small wince. The frame seemed to be too small for his swollen face. Uncle Vernon had punched him so hard that half of his face swelled up and one spectacle was broken now. He tried to turn around and get into a more comfortable position. His lungs hurt. He had spent half the day scrubbing the bathroom over and over again. He wasn't allowed to leave it, Aunt Petunia had locked it from the outside. The fumes that escaped from the cleaning bucket made him dizzy and hurt his lungs. Every breath stung.

He had deserved it though. No normal child did the things he did. Broke things without touching them. Change the thermostat of the heater without even knowing it. Last week he had caused Dudley to stumble when he again jumped on the stairs he was sleeping under, causing the dust and plaster to get into his eyes.

He hadn't meant to do it, it just happened. No meals for a week. Not only Dudley, but also Mrs. Figg saw him eat out the trash can and aunt Petunia caught him. With an apologetic look and mouthing the words: "He is very disturbed" she escorted Harry in, digging her sharp finger nails so deep into his shoulders that he cried out loud.

"BOY!"

Harry startled and faced uncle Vernon.

"As a punishment for eating out the trash can and be seen by the neighbours." You will clean the shed tonight, polish every single item in there, get rid of every spider web and repair and clean the bikes. You will sleep there, too. Go. Out of my sight."

Harry was so shocked, his mouth fell open. The shed hasn't been touched for ages, everybody in the house was scared of spiders so it was not as immaculate as aunt Petunia's kitchen. Not anywhere near as immaculate. It would take him all night.

Uncle Vernon shoved him out the door while aunt Petunia got a bucket of hot water, cleaners and a tiny cloth ready. Harry looked at his raw hands and had no idea how he was going to manage.

He grabbed the bucket, hung his head and walked towards the shed.

The End.
Chapter 4 - Unexpected help by Lotiolentus
Author's Notes:
Some relief, at last.

Kingsley Shacklebolt could not believe what he saw. Never. Never would he have thought that Potter, The famous Harry Potter, the boy who lived, was being treated worse than the Malfoy house elf. He didn't seem bigger than a house elf either, his bones stuck out on his shoulders, his trousers were so big, Harry had fastened them with a string. The auror was deeply ashamed of himself. He should have made sure! He should have kept checking! Kingsley gave Snape a quick look whose face seemed to have lost all blood and was breathing heavily.

"Professor Snape..." Severus raised his hand to give his 'leave me be, I am just fine' gesture. Kingsley mustered him and wondered if Harry's state was the only reason the professor seemed to so aghast.

"Mr. Shacklebolt," he started "I will tend to the boy. If he needs to go to St. Mungus you can take him by side along apparition. However, Dumbledore said, it would be better to mend him here. As soon as Potter leaves this house, he is in grave danger. Almost all Death Eaters are released now."

Kingsley gave a curt nod. "Have you brought potions with you Professor?" Snape nodded. He seemed to look rather indecisive.

"Professor, I deal with the Dursleys tomorrow morning. I can use my position as deputy head master of the primary school. "And Severus," Kingsley stepped uncomfortably from one foot to another. "...be careful. Be kind. He is not James, but a frightened, ill child who only resembles him."

Snape stood up and his face hardened. Without a word he opened the locked door of the little cold shed and entered while Shacklebolt continued to observe the muggles.

Before he even said hello to the boy who was busy oiling a chain, he cast a cleaning, a tidying and enlargement charm upon the little shed. He then transformed Dudley's bike into a hospital bed. He also cast a disinfective and a warming spell. With satisfaction, he watched the reaction of the boy who looked so amazed Snape wondered if his eyes would pop out. Those eyes...

"Lie down Potter."

The boy gulped and obeyed. He seemed a little scared, and was trying very hard to cover up the marks on his bony body. Snape scanned his body with his wand and stopped at Potter's back.

"What's wrong with your back?"

The boy vigorously shook his head.

"Nothing Sir. I just..."

Snape hesitated for a moment wondering...

"I have to check it. It could be infected."

The scared boy climbed further into the bed as if he was trying to make himself invisible.

"I can't Sir. Aunst Petunia says that if people find out how bad I am, I will have to go to an institution. A terrible institution where people where the demented suck out your soul and you die and there..."

Snape was usually impatient when dealing with illogical children, but he knew. Knew not only that in fact he was the one who told Petunia about Dementors and Azkaban, also the child's tendency to believe the most absurd things when repeated many times. He knew.

With a flick of a wand, Severus undressed the child, only to leave his greying underwear on. Not many people knew, that Snape had actually intended to be a healer, but it was made impossible at the time.

He reckoned that the boy in front of him was technically his enemy, but whenever someone was in such a bad state, Snape was able to shut out all emotions, occlude his mind and get on with the work.

The sight of that frail body however disturbed him. His body was covered in bruises that were definitely man-made. His back was covered in buckle belt marks and scars. Some months old, some only a few hours old. He had had a few broken bones, but there were healed now. Not by professional muggles though, just healed in its own. The left side of his face swollen, his eye almost shut. His upper arms were blue, black and green from being grabbed. It would take more than one night to heal him, it would also take months to restore his energy and make up for the poor weigh gain.

Snape quickly grabbed a small book and flicked through until he reached the right page. One thing he had learned about child abuse throughout his career as a teacher was, that one had to be absolutely sure before casting any spells or throw allegations. He began to read and a few things jumped out to him that seemed to fit exactly:

WATCH OUT!

for bruises on the cheeks, (especially fingermarks), bottom, genitals, ears, upper lips, hand marks on the arms. Streaky marks usually result from hitting with the hand or objects.

for bruises on the back and bruises of different colours and age

children who have multiple injuries of different ages are often linked with child abuse

shabby appearance - malnutrition - vitamin deficiency - psycho-social dwarfism - neglect of school attendance

frozen watchfulness

this applies to wizards in muggle born families as well as muggles. Mistreated muggle born wizards can suffer from uncontrolled magical outbursts or reduction or retardation of magical ability.

Severus Snape was sure now. He had been sure before, but hoped that may have been some doubt. He regarded the underweight, battered child and could hardly believe that this was the famous boy who had survived the killing curse. Or that this was James' son. He did resemble him, but it was like a distortion from the real Potter. His eyes were Lily's. It hurt to think about Lily. He couldn't imagine her reaction to the sight that was unfolding in front of him. It wouldn't have happened if...

Severus quickly pushed those thoughts away, occluded his mind and started working. The boy was hardly speaking, but Severus didn't mind that at all. He was here to heal the child's body and not to have childish conversations. His healing potions, pain potions and strengthening potions began to work.

The boy showed more interest in his surroundings now, he showed particular interest in Snape an the new size of the shed.

"Who are you?"

"I came to heal you. Rest your voice."

The boy seemed deep in thoughts.

"I never been to a doctor. I am glad Aunt Petunia called one for me."

For the time being, Snape left the boy in that belief. He quickly prepared a pain potion and a strengthening potion and passed it to the boy who shook his head and tried to refuse.

"I'm not allowed to drink after- eh- lunchtime."

Severus didn't answer but instead glared at Harry. His eyes pierced the small boy but he kept eye contact.

He then pointed his wand at Potter's lower abdomen and murmured a complicated spell. Who would have thought...

"Drink up Potter. You will be fine."

Harry hesitated a little, but didn't dare to contradict.

Snape didn't close an eye that night. He spent it administering potions, dabbing potions on the bruises and casting complicated spells. He had taken the boy's glasses off and admistered dreamless sleep potion. Without glasses and with his eyes shut he looked more like an ordinary boy than James' and Lily's son.

When the Dursleys went to sleep, Shacklebolt entered the shed and transformed Petunia's bike into a large comfortable seat.

The End.
Chapter 5 - Petunia's Revenge by Lotiolentus
Author's Notes:
Who would have thought Petunia can be so vengeful?

Shacklebolt knocked the Dursley's door. Petunia opened and took a step back. She obviously seemed frightened.

"It's about Harry isn't it? He has been telling lies again? Broke something? What did he do?"

Shacklebolt mustered the lady that did not resemble her sister at all.

"No Mrs. Dursley, he has not. Harry never complains. However, I have to say that I am worried about his welfare. He does not fit his clothes, he is dressed inappropriate for the weather... He is not always clean and he seems to be hungry a lot. The school nurse also says that he shows bruises that are definitely man-made and is underweight."

Petunia looked around to see if Harry was coming out his shed, but he did not. She also looked at the neighbours houses, but no one... but Mrs. Figg again, seemed to be watching. As much as Petunia liked Arabella, she was quite glad that her hearing was going and she couldn't hear the conversation.

"Mr. Shacklebolt. As you might have noticed. Harry is different from other children. He frightens them. He steals, he does not care about personal hygiene. He also refuses to eat and hits himself. If you want my opinion, he is a freak. I should never have raised him. Out of the kindness of our hearts we took him and he gives us no reason to be proud of him. He is just like his mother. She was a freak, too you know..."

Petunia suddenly stopped, she obviously realised that she had said too much. Kingsley could hear a loud crack behind him. Snape had come out the shed. Kingsley threw a quick look inside and saw that the shed was clean, bigger and a little magic fire was burning. It also had a bed in it. Harry's bruises were almost gone, his glasses fixed and he had an astonished look on his pale, thin face. Snape gave a quick flick of his wand and a big, steaming plate came flying out the kitchen towards the shed Harry was sitting in. He then gave another flick and the shed door slammed shut. Dudley came running to his mum, sobbing.

"My breakfast mum, it just flew away! Mum! Muuuuuuuum!"

Shacklebolt and Snape mustered the fat pig-like boy with disgust. When Dudley saw the two men, he ran inside and upstairs. Dudley must have been very scared to forget about his dinner, Kingsley thought. He turned around to Snape, whose back was turned to him ad Petunia. He was looking through his bag, probably searching for the right potion.

"Mr. Shacklebolt, I can assure you, the boy is fine. He was in a huff and decided to hide in the shed to play hide and seek with his favourite cousin Dudley. If it was my choice, I wouldn't have him here. He is a monstrosity, you need to be very careful around him. His mother was a monstrosity. She had to go to St. Brutus when she was a teenager. Incurable."

Suddenly, Snape pointed his wand at Petunia and from here on, Kingsley Shacklebolt was merely a watcher. Quck-witted, he cast a silent muffliato spell, so that the boy and the neighbours wouldn't hear the conversation. He did wonder, why the potions master suddenly seemed so agitated after Petunia's last words.

Petunia's face expression changed to... a mocking and amused one.

"Look who came to visit. Scum boy. I am not scared of you. Tell me, have your drunk parents killed each other yet? I am so sorry I'm not up to date with the Spinner's..." her spite would have been good enough for a Death Eater "...End gossip. Maybe you can fill me in."

She sneered.

Snape seemed to have lost his voice.

"Have you finally found a pair of trousers that is not too small? Still weeping every day Snivellus, eh? Did you know I came up with that name in primary school? You were such a crybaby... Still wetting your bed? Have you washed your hair since I last saw you - let me think, more than ten years ago? You stopped coming to our house, thank God! Put that thing down, how could I be scared of a loser like you..."

"SILENCIO!"

Snape roared. But Petunia was faster. She bent down to escape the spell but at the same moment took the wand out of Snape's trembling hand.

"Oh Snivellus. Did you not know that every family who has a freak amongst them gets that book. 'Defense for muggles'? No? I bet your filthy father couldn't even read. You are such freaks, always expecting magic, never thinking that normal people can defend themselves, too. Came by surprise, didn't it?"

Shacklebolt turned towards Snape. He got such a fright when he saw his face that he took a step backwards. Petunia examined Snape's wand with curiosity and then looked back up to Snape, still with an amused expression. Snape's face had turned into an ugly grimace, pure hatred and anger as well as raw - raw pain. Kingsley's jaw dropped. Snape looked as if he was going to kill that muggle woman. She seemed not scared at all and with a loud crack she broke his wand.

"Had to do it to defend myself, didn't I? Did you know muggles can break wands?"

It took Shacklebolt a while to find his breath again. This was not how it was supposed to go. They were supposed to put her under pressure, not the other way around.
Petunia gazed at Snape, not being at all intimidated by his murderous expression. Maybe she had seen it before?

"Neither of you are allowed to curse or in fact cast any spells. The ministry will know within seconds and will arrest you. And besides - Snivelly - I don't know if you really want them to find out that it was in fact you who are responsible for this. It is your fault I have to bring up that disgusting child. I cannot believe your hipocricy. First you have her killed and then you tell me what to do? Why did you do it? Jealousy? Stupidity? Powerhungry?"

Shacklebolt had a suspucion what they were talking about and knew he had to act before something deadly happened. Snape was frozen, his fury almost inhumane. He seemed in shock, not able to do anything. And, he didn't have a wand. With a flick, Petunia threw the wand into the fireplace behind her. She did not stop looking at Snape. Arrogantly and with disgust.

"You are despicable." She hissed and spat on Snape's shoes.

Kingsley pointed his wand at the disarmed professor and shoved him inside the shed where Harry Potter was. Then he walked up to Mrs. Dursley and pointed his wand at her throat, tightly clutching it.

"Listen, Dursley, listen. No one will be arrested by the ministry for casting spells here because I AM the ministry."

It was a bit of an exaggeration but Kingsley hoped she didn't know too much.

"If you do not feed the boy and look after him properly you will go to Azkaban. This is illegal. Harry Potter is a wizard, just like we are and thousands of other people are. You muggles would all - ALL be dead without the wizardry world. Do you understand? Do you know about Azkaban? An expression of horror crept over Petunia's face. She looked at the shed where Harry and Snape were sitting in. Then she nodded.

"I will keep him alive Mr. Shacklebolt. I will make sure he is physically unharmed but that is all I can promise. Take him away."

We will be back. And we will. And remember, until then, I am deputy headmaster. I will check on Harry every day and will question him. Professor Snape here, he is a very gifted legilimens, in muggle words, a mind reader, and if Potter refuses to give information because he has been threatened by you - the professor will read his mind and see everything. Everything. We will be taking him away shortly, there just needs to be some bureaucracy done. Now get out of my sight. And something else..."

He came up with the deepest voice he could muster..

"YOU are the despicable human being."

Harry hadn't heard any of the conversation.
Shacklebolt flicked his wand again and the front door slammed in Mrs. Dursley's face. He then turned around and crawled into the shed to see to Potter and Snape. Harry was eating. Snape had his back turned towards Harry and, with shaking hands, mixed some kind of potion, only to administer it to himself.

Harry seemed to be moving faster, his face had brightened up and the swelling was gone. Snape mixed another potion, turned around to Shacklebolt and asked wordlessly for his wand.

After a second of hesitation, he passed it to him. Snape produced a small bottle of light blue potion and ordered Harry to drink it. Shacklebolt smiled a little. Usually all of Snape's strengthening potions smelled disgusting and tasted even worse. This one smelled of Eucalyptus. Snape was perfectly able to make all his potions taste nice.

Shacklebolt pointed his wand at the shed and it returned back to how it was. Only clean, tidy and with fixed bikes. He also cast a protective spell at Harry, not too noticable for the muggles, but enough to keep him from being seriously harmed. He also filled one of the cupboards with different kinds of food.

"Harry Potter?"

The child sat up quickly.

"We will be back soon to get you. You cannot stay here."

Harry nodded and the two men apparated at a spot close to Hogwarts.
They had a short walk ahead of them. Kingsley hoped, that they were able to convince Dumbledore that Potter was in grave danger not only of being beat or starved to death, but also to lose his magic.

Shacklebolt gave Snape a quick look. The potions master looked completely burnt out. Beyond exhaustion. His skin was white, nearly green. At the first bench on the way to the castle Snape sat down and stared at his trembling hands.

"Go" he croaked. "Go, I am right behind you, I just need to..."

Shacklebolt shook his head. They were both supposed to give a report immediately. And the professor didn't look well at all. Snape, who had completely sank down in the bench raised his head a little, but did not show his face.

"GO! NOW!! Leave. Me. Alone."

"I will send an owl to Ollivander so he can get a new wand made for you. If you don't appear in Dumbledore's Office within a few minutes, I will send him here.

He turned away from the professor and ran towards the castle. A confundus spell hit him in the back, so hard that he fell. A stern and angry voice murmured something to him.

"Shacklebolt. You have seen nothing out of the ordinary today. Potter was well looked after by his relatives, he looks healthy. The bruise Mrs. Figg was talking about came from an incident where Potter tried to hex his cousin just because he discovered that he could. He is just like his father but the Dursleys have accepted Potter and are doing everything to make up for his loss. They spoil him."

Kingsley blinked and seemed confused. For a moment he didn't know what he was going to do before he remembered. He had to tell Dumbledore that Potter was doing just fine.

The End.
Chapter 6 - Remedial Potions continues by Lotiolentus
Author's Notes:
No excuses, Severus.

Ten years later

Albus Dumbledore sat on his desk, waiting. It didn't usually take Severus that long to come to his office when ordered to. Without knocking, the potions master entered the office as if it was his. He carried the pensieve which obviously held a feather light charm. Snape's face expression was ice cold and furious.

"You can have it back, Professor," he hissed and was about to leave the room again.

Albus raised his hand. "Wait, Severus."

After a moment of hesitation, Snape turned around, glaring at Dumbledore.

"Wait. You cannot stop Harry's lessons. I will not allow it."

Snape's face turned into an ugly grimace.

"I don't care. I refuse to teach him occlumency any longer. In fact, I refuse to teach him potions, too. I will dismiss him from my class."

Albus was surprised. It wasn't often that Severus was that angry and distressed.

"What happened Severus?"

The potions professor stood up, again, ready to go. Now Albus stood up, too.

"Severus. If you don't even tell me, I am unable to understand. You have no right to disobey me, you gave me your word. I trust you Severus and if you break that trust I will have to sack you. You will not survive a week out there without my protection."

Severus nodded slowly, tears of anger in his now bright red face.

"I see professor. You are blackmailing me to teach that insolent little..."

Dumbledore raised his hand to tell him to stop.

"Professor," he continued, "You gave me your pensieve to protect my privacy and Potter broke in! I cannot continue now."

Dumbledore sat back down. His eyes were full of disappointment.

"Severus, sometimes I am amazed that I even appointed you as a teacher. Think Severus, just THINK! Potter would not dare to break into your memories if he wasn't somehow guided by Voldemort. Mine, maybe. But not yours. He has escapades where he cannot control himself. It is not possession. Not the same thing that happened to Ginny Weasley. It is far far more complicated than that and you are the only one who can teach him to stop it."

"But Professor," Snape interrupted, "when he broke into the pensieve he saw..."

Snape wasn't able to finish the sentence when Dumbledore again, stood up, now raw anger in his face. It was not often that he lost control to that degree.

"Professor Snape. That boy just had to witness that his father was not the kind of person he wanted him to be - the kind of person Harry is - And YOU are thinking about yourself? Do you have ANY idea how serious this could be? You are continueing. I will hear NO more complaints from you. You will teach him occlumency until he masters it. Dismissed."

Snape seemed to have shrunk a little.

"Dumbledore, I am not sure if he is actually able to learn. He seems unable to occlude his mind. His intelligence doesn't seem..."

Dumbledore shook his head and very quietly whispered: "Then you will find out why he is unable. Get started."

The End.
Chapter 7 - Another attempt by Lotiolentus
Author's Notes:
And guess what he sees.

Harry was just about to walk to the dormitory when Neville came running towards him.

"Harry", he panted breathlessly, "this for you."

Harry unfolded the parchment. He was tired, didn't feel well at all and just wanted to go to bed.

Potter,

come to my office at 8pm sharp. Lessons will be continued.

Professor Snape

Harry couldn't believe it. He was starving, he had served detention again and his hand was still bleeding. "I must not tell lies" was deeply engraved and he doubted that this would ever disappear. He had also missed dinner again and because of Snape he wasn't allowed to get any leftovers.

Full of bitterness, he approached Snape's office. This was almost as bad as the Dursleys.

Snape opened his door suddenly and loudly, grabbed Harry by the hurting hand and shoved him into his room.

"Potter, you would not be here. This is Dumbledore's order. You will learn until you master occlumency. You will learn how to occlude your mind. I will show you where to find the memories that have to be banished so that you are able to. Although I don't suppose a spoiled brat like you cannot have many of those."

Snape sneered before he continued.

"And be prepared. It will hurt."

Harry had to force himself not to hang his head. His hand hurt and he couldn't help checking it, it felt as if it was bleeding again. It was also slightly trembling.

Snape caught a glance of it and it eyes widened a little. He grabbed Harry's hand and looked at it, astonished.

"Brilliant sentence Potter." Snape turned around to grab a potions glass.

Harry was embarrassed. He hadn't wanted to give Snape another reason to be cheery.

He forced himself to not make a sound while Snape put the burning potion on his hand. Maybe this was a potion that actually made it worse? Harry wouldn't put that past Snape.

After a few minutes it started getting better and stopped oozing.

He did not have enough time to say thank you when he felt Snape's wand pointing directly at his forehead and shouting:

"LEGILIMENS!"

Harry tried to keep Snape out with all his force but he was unable to. A flash of him sitting in Umbridges office, his hand bleeding from having to write with his own blood came by but he pushed it away.

Suddenly he felt his stomach rumble which brought back memories. The worst memories. Harry tried to stop it, he was too ashamed to ever let anyone see, but Snape just broke through the weak wall he had built around them.

Harry saw himself sitting in his cupboard, howling and begging to get out. He was maybe four or five. The door opened, his eyes hurt because he hadn't seen light for days.
A big, strong arm grabbed him, took him out. Harry stared into Uncle Vernon's contorted smile.

"Belt." he spat. Literally. Harry shook his head and started crying even more.

"Uncle Vernon, I didn't mean to make a sound. I couldn't help it..."

Vernon took Harry's jumper off, unbuckled his enormous belt and started to hit his naked, bony back with it. Harry screamed and begged him to stop. Finally, Vernon let go and then threw him back into the cupboard. His room.

"Freak! Get up. Make breakfast. And wash your dirty sheets..."

Petunia pulled Harry and the bedsheets out of the cupboard, inspected them, gave a horrible smile and thrust them in his face.

A six or seven year old Harry with broken glasses limped to the kitchen and started to make breakfast. Everyone ate, apart from Harry who wasn't even allowed to sit on the table.

"Get your stuff washed you dirty bastard. I said no meals today. What are you doing here?"

Harry hung his head and went to the bathroom. His stomach was rumbling. He was tired. After a few minutes the large hand grabbed him again.

"Clear up you freak. What are you waiting for?"

Harry came out, crying out loud when the jumper he wore touched his bruised back. He staggered to the kitchen and cleared up everyone's plates into the bin. Petunia made sure that he didn't eat any of it. Once Petunia went upstairs to take a long, relaxing bath and Vernon went to his study to read the newspaper, Harry quickly grabbed into the bin and stole - yes, he felt like a thief because he didn't deserve to eat - some bread and gulped it down quickly. He suddenly startled, because someone grabbed his hair.

"Muuuuuuum. The freak is eating out the bin! He is eating mum!"

Vernon groaned loudly and said:

"Don't worry Tuney, I will deal with him."

Harry's face expression now was one of shock and horror. Vernon's fist hit him once in the back, once in the front. He passed out. When he woke up, he smelt vomit and blood and urine. He looked down because he thought he had wet himself. But it was blood. His side hurt so bad, he couldn't move. Something was damaged. He heard footsteps approaching him and someone said:

"Clean up the mess you made you disgusting little freak."

"STOP!"

The End.
Chapter 8 - Waiting by Lotiolentus
Author's Notes:
Harry is very uncomfortable.

Harry used all his remaining strength to pull out.

He shouted "PROTEGO!" as loud he possibly could and tried to find back to reality. He looked around and tried to locate Snape who was supposed to be standing in front of him, sneering. But he wasn't. Harry noticed, that the door was shutting, Snape had left the room a few seconds ago. Harry stood up quickly and followed him. Snape was ahead of him, running and breathing heavily.

Harry couldn't help to return the nasty comment that Snape had made when he had invaded his private memories.

"Did you have fun Snape?"

Snape's reaction was subtle but noticable. After slowing down a little bit, he then kept running towards McGonnagal's office. Without knocking, he opened the door. Actually, he ran it in. Harry was right behind him now. McGonnagal looked up and stood up immediately, pulling out her wand.

"What is it?" she asked, looking worried.

Snape made a curt gesture and she understood that she had to come with him.

"Are you okay Harry?"

Harry nodded.

"I'm fine."

He looked better than Snape.

"McGonnagal. Dumbledore's Office. Now." he croaked. His breath was heavy, he was wheezing.

The three hurried to Dumbledore's Office, Minverva and Harry had problems to follow the agitated potions master.

When they stood in front of the office, Snape spat the password and they entered quickly.

Dumbledore seemed to have been waiting, he seemed prepared for someone to enter.

Snape hurried towards the pensieve, pointed his wand at his own temple and the silvery memory escaped. He slightly flinched, as if it was hurting him.

Maybe it was.

"Get in there!" Snape snarled. He walked towards them as if he was ready to shove them both into the pensieve, but Dumbledore and McGonnagall didn't need to be told. They obeyed immediately, leaned over and disappeared.

Snape grabbed Harry, who was about to follow them and held him back.

"Not you, Potter."

Harry sat down and rubbed his hurting head. He felt that he had done something very wrong and was about to apologise. Maybe if he did, the punishment wouldn't be too harsh? Usually he had more pride, but God, he was so tired and hungry and sore.

"I'm sorry Professor. I didn't mean to break into the pensieve yesterday. I wasn't myself, I would never have..."

Snape glared at him.

"Spare us your drama Potter, will you?"

Harry fell silent and looked away. He was so ashamed that he blushed. Everyone would know now. Everyone would find out what he was really like. Weak. Couldn't even defend himself against muggles. He always knew that he must have done something terribly wrong to deserve the treatment he got. And he did. He damaged the Dursleys with his magic, even though he didn't mean to.

Harry peered at the tall, thin man. He seemed to look around for a seat and didn't feel comfortable taking a seat in Dumbledore's chair. Harry felt it was time to go as he didn't want to be here when Dumbledore and McGonnagall came back.

"Stay where you are" hissed Snape as if he could read his mind.

He could in fact read his mind. That weak mind that wasn't able to learn occlumency.

The silence was awkward. He wanted to find some way to get out. He really, really couldn't bare everyone's disappointment with him tonight. He wondered if Dumbledore would keep him in the school after what he saw.

"Professor, I have to go. There is homework to do. I didn't have time to do any of it."

He raised out of his seat and made another attempt - a petty attempt - to leave the room.

"Sit down Potter."

Harry sighed. Maybe he could get out if he was honest? The problem was, that he would rather break his own wand than showing weakness and defeat in front of Snape.

"Professor - I want to go. I need to go. They will be back soon and I..." he flushed and cursed himself for his stupid babbling.

Snape took a deep breath and Harry could hear a wheeze. At the sudden movement of Snape's arm he flinched quite violently and tried to protect his head as he was sure Snape had finally lost control and would hit him. He had, after all, Snape got quite physical yesterday, when he had found out that Harry was in the pensieve, invading his privacy, he had grabbed him hard, hit him and threw a jar of cockroaches at him.

But the professir didn't hit him. Harry lowered his hands again, feeling stupid and weak and just wanted to leave. This time, he wouldn't listen to Snape. He would just leave the room, he knew the two were about to come out the Pensieve and he had no energy for questioning today. And he didn't want to see Dumbledore. He had been ignoring him for months and the all-knowing Dumbledore must have known what his life at the Dursleys had been like. He must have thought that Harry deserved it. No, he couldn't face him tonight.

With more decidedness than he had shown before, he walked towards the door, trying not to look weak and shattered.
Snape again, held him and glared at him.

"Snape" Hary blurted. "Leave me alone. Let me go to bed. It's bad enough, you don't need to make it worse, I know it's all my fau-"

"Don't." Snape snarled now violently "Ever. Think. That." The expression in Snape's eyes disturbed Harry because he just couldn't quite place it.

"Let me go."

Snape growled and released his firm grip around Harry's skinny arms.

"You sit there and wait."

The End.
Chapter 9 - Confusion by Lotiolentus
Author's Notes:
There are bad apples everywhere...

Harry just kept his head down when McGonnagal and Dumbledore came back. He didn't want to see them, didn't want them to look at him either.

After a few minutes of silence, Dumbledore tried to speak. It only worked at the second attempt.

"Severus..." he whispered. "I had sent you to check on him when he was a small child. You betrayed my trust. You told me he was..." just like his father. Spoilt. Hexing his cousin. "Well looked after."

Harry glared at Snape. It was hard to believe that anyone's hatred could go that far. That a teacher would...

"That was a lie!" Harry blurted out.

"You did come and spent all night in that horrible shed putting potions on me and mumbling stuff. You even made it bigger and warmer. And you gave me about twenty different potions to drink and Kingsley Shacklebolt left food. And he promised to come back and get me..."

Harry lowered his gaze. His rage was enough for ten people and he feared he would completely lose it in front of everyone.

Minerva and Albus gave Snape a shocked look. Snape's wand flew out his pocket and landed in Dumbledore's hand.

"Severus..."

Snape raised both hands, gesturing that he would not escape, not resist, do nothing but explain.

"Professor Dumbledore," he started, giving him a pleading look. "If that was true, why would I have showed you two that memory? You have my word. I didn't know. When I went to check on Potter all these years ago he was more than fine. Being spoilt and served and showing all the bad behaviours his father once did. Give me my wand and I will show you."

Albus hesitated, but then agreed. Snape had some difficulty pulling this memory out. It wasn't the usual consistency, but stringy and greyish.

Dumbledore shook his head in disbelief. "Severus, I will not not even bother to look at this. It has been tampered with as you can see."

Snape looked shocked and surprised. He was either an excellent actor or he really had no idea what was going on.

"I-I.. didn't have... my wand that day. I couldn't have done it...", he murmured.

Dumbledore came closer to listen to Snape.

"I didn't have a wand when I came back. Something happened. I think I have been confunded. Maybe that is how my wand..."

Dumbledore looked at the memory again. He also remembered that Snape indeed had to see Ollivander that day.

"Severus. Lower your shields. I will perform a spell that breaks the confundus charm and I will be able to see.

Without words, Dumbledore cast his spell at Snape and McGonnagall and Harry were left alone. Harry could feel her glance on him, but didn't want to look up at all.

"Harry..." she whispered and came a little closer. "I am so sorry."

Harry didn't react. He had always wondered why Dumbledore had given him to the Dursleys, knew how hard his life there was and still sent him back every summer. He was still shocked that Snape's hatred towards him had nearly cost him his life.

He glanced at the two. Dumbledore looked gravely serious, Snape seemed to be in a lot of pain. Harry smirked a little. Did him right. Legilimency was painful. Snape wasn't even allowed to defend himself.

Dumbledore pulled back his wand and stared at Severus with utter astonishment.

"LUCIUS!" they shouted at the same time.

"He was the one who confunded Severus", Dumbledore said to Minerva and Harry. "His magical powers were enormous because he hadn't been allowed to use magic for years. The day I sent Kingsley and Severus to check on Harry was the day Lucius was released."

Minerva looked a little confused.

"Why," she asked, "Why would Malfoy want Harry to stay with those muggles?"

Snape knew the answer to this question.

"Because there would have been a chance that they destroyed him. Or his magic. Lucius would have done the Dark Lord a huge favour without having to dirty his own hands."

Dumbledore nodded.

Minerva had another question.

"Did he take Severus' wand, too? She still didn't quite trust Snape so addressed the question to Dumbledore.

Albus hesitated for a few seconds. Then quickly glanced at Snape and nodded.

"Yes Minerva. He did indeed."

The End.
Chapter 10 - Decisions. by Lotiolentus
Author's Notes:
It just doesn't work out the way we want to, does it?

Harry looked from Dumbledore to Snape to McGonnagall. The discussion about Harry's future, about the Dursleys, about the wards was becoming more and more heated.

"...maybe he can stay at the Weasleys..."

"...too dangerous..."

"...maybe at school?..."

"...what about the wards? He is not safe here..."

"...the wards are the only thing Lily left for him..."

"...Mr. Dursley could go to Azkaban... Harry could stay with his aunt..."

"...she's no better..."

"...could stay with Professor Snape. No-one would suspect him there..."

At this, Harry looked up. Horrified.

"...No. Meetings are at Spinner's End."

"...of course. I forgot..."

"He could stay in the room of Requirement. With Mrs. Dursley. We could stun her or something..."

Harry got more and more nervous. He felt like a burden. Like he was being too much trouble. The ideas got increasingly absurd and he detested the thought of decisions about his life being made by others. Maybe he was old enough to take some responsibility himself?

"Stop!" he shouted and suddenly felt very uncomfortable because the three older wizards did indeed stop and stared at him.

Snape still seemed to have his wits about him.

"Ten points from Gryffindor for yelling at teachers." His characteric sneer was back and he folded his arms, pretending to be interested in what Harry had to say.

"Severus..." McGonnagall protested "you and your points. You hardly ever follow through anyway. You just say it to intimidate but then don't actually deduct..."

Snape glared at her and she fell silent.

Harry licked his lips and started to speak, staring at his shoes.

"The wards... where the last thing my mother left for me. It feels like betraying her if I don't use them. If I get permission to use defensive magic, or it's undetectable or something, I could stay for another summer. Just..."

He hung his head a little, knowing that this sounded like a plea.

"...just send me some food and someone to check up on me every few days. If they think I can use magic, I will be fine."

Dumbledore, McGonnagall and Snape regarded him. Too long, for Harry's taste.

Then McGonnagall and Snape looked at Dumbledore, as if they were waiting for a decision.

"Harry. I respect your decision. We will make sure that you will not be exposed to any more physical damage on the hands of your relatives. The emotional abuse however..." The old professor stopped mid-sentence.

Harry, who was cleaning his glasses nervously, raised one hand and interrupted him. "Don't worry. I'm used to that."

Still without his glasses, he gave Snape, whom he could only see blurred, a glare.

The potions master quickly turned away.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1541