Lily's Charm: A Close Shave by Stump_Pan
Summary: One-shot where Severus sings "Sweeney Todd". Set in Lily's Charm universe.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape > Severitus Challenge Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Humor
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: Lily's Charm
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 873 Read: 2513 Published: 20 Apr 2008 Updated: 21 Apr 2008
Story Notes:

First seeing "Sweeney Todd" and then rewatching it my friend and I came up with the idea of writing a fanfic that showed Severus singing the song "Pretty Women", the tune Alan Richman signs. After the scene with Harry watching his dad shave, we thought this story would fit in perfectly. Hope you enjoy, yes we know it's a bit of a stretch for Sev to be singing, anything least of all a muggle musical, but isn't that what fanfiction is for.

A Close Shave by Stump_Pan

After returning from the graveyard Severus sent Harry to bed for some much needed rest, receiving very little resistance from the teenager. Instead of retiring himself, Severus made his way to his potions laboratory to think on the events of the last few hours. So much had happened in only a few days. Voldemort had been destroyed, they were still alive, but most importantly he still had Harry.

After setting an alarm to remind him of lunch and to wake Harry from his nap, Severus began to brew several potions that Madam Pomfrey required. His fingers worked diligently though his thoughts remained far from his actions. He was only returned to the present by the persistent buzzing of the alarm to alert him that the four hours had past. Severus placed a stasis charm over the remaining potions before making his way down the corridor to rouse Harry.

Severus was greeted by disgruntled rumbling from the twisted heap of bedding that was his son. After giving the boy a firm shove and assuring himself that the boy would not go back to sleep Severus headed back down the corridor to the washroom.

After showering, Severus began his morning ritual of shaving, an activity that always reminded him of his beloved wife. Running the blade along his jaw Severus couldn’t help himself from muttering the words to a song that always brought her face to front of his mind. The muttering drifted into humming interspersed with lyrics.

“Pretty women, Silhouetted...Stay within you”, Severus sung softly to himself not noticing Harry standing shell shocked in the doorway, the teenager’s mouth hitting the ground.

Collecting himself Harry could but make comment on what was happening before him. Clearing his throat he jibbed, “Did James or Sirius know you sang so well?”

Severus stopped mid-stroke to glare at his son, his most menacing glare betrayed the hint of amusement that had found its way to his lips.

“They were never party to that particular talent.” He said returning back to the task at hand.

“What was it that you were singing anyway?” Harry inquired seating himself on the toilet.

“It is a number from a musical your mother forced me to attend during our honeymoon.” Severus explained wiping the blade of his razor on the towel before returning to run it along his jaw.

“You saw a musical?” Harry demanded with a look of disbelief on his face.

“It was Lily’s desire to see the performance in West End. She wished to see one of the actresses in a live production.” Severus remarked casually.

“Who was it?” the teenager demanded.

“It was a woman by the name of Angela Lansbury.” Severus said as he finished shaving.

“Oh,” Harry said moving out of his father’s way so he could return the supplies to their proper place.

“Are you familiar with the actress?” Severus asked.

“She was in something Dudley watched… I think.” Harry said shrugging.

“I see. You should get ready; we are expected in the Headmaster’s office in an hour.” Severus noted making his way to the doorway.

“Yeah, I guess. What was the name of the play anyway?” Harry asked making no move from his seat on the toilet.

“It was called Sweeney Todd.” Severus said a hint of frustration creeping into his voice.

Harry nodded, “How did the rest of the song go?”

“Harry James,” Severus began.

Interrupting what sure to be a long speech on obedience Harry countered, “Come on Dad, I killed the evilest wizard last night give me a break. The Minister can wait.”

“I would prefer to have this meeting completed sooner rather than later. Which requires you to be presentable, unless you wish the Minister and Headmaster to see you in your pajamas?” Severus threatened.

“You finish singing the song and I’ll get ready without further complaint.” Harry proposed.

Severus turned his head towards Harry, and cocked his eyebrow, a slight look of amusement on his face.

Perceiving the attempt as a failure Harry offered offhandedly, “Or, I could always just tell Remus.”

“You shall do no such thing!” Severus snapped, the amusement slipping from his face. “If it will make you move at a quicker pace I shall sing it for you.”

Harry nodded in acquiescence. Severus glared, but began to sing.

“Pretty women
Fascinating...
Sipping coffee,
Dancing... pretty women
Pretty women
Are a wonder.
Pretty women!

Sitting in the window or
Standing on the stair
Something in them cheers the air.

Pretty women
Silhouetted...
Stay within you,
Glancing... stay forever,
Breathing lightly...
Pretty women,
Pretty women!

Blowing out their candles or
Combing out their hair,
Even when they leave
They still are there.
They're there

Ah! Pretty women, at their mirrors,
In their gardens,
Letter-writing,
Flower-picking,
Weather-watching.
How they make a man sing!

Proof of heaven as you're living,
Pretty women! Yes, pretty women!
Here's to pretty women,
Pretty women,
Pretty women,
Pretty women.”

As Harry listened to the lyrics that his father sang in a surprisingly comforting baritone, he could help but think of Ginny. Severus too was lost in his own thoughts, though these were of Lily.

Once the tune ended, Severus regained his composure shooting Harry another menacing look. “Get ready, you have twenty minute. If ever I find you have told someone of this, you be cleaning bedpans in the hospital wing for a month… without magic.”

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1543