Magic, Interrupted. by Lotiolentus
Summary: 7th year AU, canon wrapped in. Thanks to Vernon's stupidity, Snape and Harry get trapped in an abandoned psychiatric hospital. They HAVE to work together, but old grudges, tempers and bad conditions are in the way. Betaed by tabbycat. THANK YOU!
Categories: Misc > Strictly Canon Universe, Snape Equal Status to Harry > Foes Snape and Harry, Teacher Snape > Professor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Bellatrix, Draco, Dudley, Eileen Prince, Lucius, Petunia, Vernon, Voldemort, Wormtail
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Drama, General, Hurt/Comfort, Mystery, Tragedy
Media Type: None
Tags: Kidnapped, Physical Impairment, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 7th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Alcohol Use, Character Death, Drug use, Neglect, Torture, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 11 Completed: No Word count: 14568 Read: 43314 Published: 26 Apr 2008 Updated: 19 Oct 2008
REFLECTED by Lotiolentus
Author's Notes:
As usual, Harry blames himself.

Harry flung himself on to the grubby sofa. He nervously ran his hands through the messy hair. Nothing made proper sense to him at the moment. What on earth was he doing here? Whose voice was that? He suddenly missed Hermione. She would always be able to come up with some thought through plan, no matter how hopeless the situation was.

Or Ron... whose ability to lift Harry's spirits was phenomenal. And whose sudden outbursts of unexpected brilliance had saved the day numerous times.

And Ginny. Suddenly, Harry realised that he might never see her again. Ever. He had to sacrifice himself and Ginny would be with someone else. This made Harry angry. How could Dumbledore demand such a thing? He wasn’t even allowed to spend his last year with her. He had to hunt Horcruxes, destroy them, and then get killed. And of course, he would do it. There was no doubt. He always felt as if he owed the wizarding world his life. They had taken him away from the Dursleys. Offered him an exciting, wonderful life with friends. Harry frowned. Maybe Dumbledore left him with the Dursleys to ensure Harry’s gratefulness? No, that would be evil. His thoughts started spinning. Thinking back, Harry cursed himself for being so naïve. He had never doubted that Dumbledore had planned for him to win and survive.

Snape. Harry didn’t want to think about him, but he had never been able to control his mind. At all. In first year, he had spied on the man, because he was sure that the man had wanted to steal the philosopher’s stone. For Voldemort. Looking back, he realised how grotesque that accusation was. In second year he had crossed Snape’s plans to protect him numerous times. And he’d been defiant all year. And his friends had stolen potions ingredients from him. In third year, he had declared that the most important person in his life was the person whom Snape hated. The man who had tried to kill him. Not only that, he had also attacked the Slytherin and knocked him out. In fourth year, he had been in considerable danger. Again.

In fifth year, he had violated his privacy, broken into his most private thoughts. And he hadn’t learned what the man was trying to teach him. In sixth year, he had repeatedly made a fool of Snape in front of the whole class.

“There is no need to call me sir”

And he had refused to give Snape the Potions book back. His book. He had also called him a coward and tried to curse him after he had followed Dumbledore's orders.

Harry sighed. He did have to admit that the abominable relationship the two had, was partially his fault. And Harry did look like his dad. And maybe he even behaved like him around Snape. Around the man who had always loved his mum. The man who was so determinedly and grimly trying to protect him.

With a sigh that indicated more responsibility than a sixteen-year-old should have, he rose from this lumpy sofa and left the room. The corridors were long, filthy and dark. Harry had a feeling that he had already stepped on a few dead birds, but didn’t let that thought surface.

Maybe Uncle Vernon’s drill could help them escape? When he saw the door, he noticed that the keys had been moved. Snape had obviously tried them all. Harry’s eyes fell on the picnic basket. It was nearly empty. Dudley’s half-eaten sandwich was lying on the floor. Without thinking, he picked it up and ate it, instead of opening a new one. Old habits were hard to break.

When he was finished, he picked up the drill, turned it on and brought it to the wall.

“Stop.”

Harry nearly dropped the drill on his foot. He obeyed immediately.

Not because there was a threat in Snape’s voice. But because there was not.

“The escape will be unsuccessful - you just drill pointless holes in the walls. It has to be precisely measured. Calculations need to be made.”

Harry saw the familiar scowl returning to the Potion Master’s face. This sounded complicated.

“How long…?”

Snape cut his question short by raising his hand and indicated that he wasn’t yet finished. Harry held his tongue immediately. Every utterance he made seemed to annoy the man, every dialogue would eventually turn into an ugly argument.

Snape resumed his I am teaching you something now, listen carefully, as it might well be the most important thing you ever hear in your life position.

"Hooke's law of elasticity suggests that if certain points are weakened, it is possible to target the wall easily. However, we are also dealing with a charm here, so adjustments which include higher arithmancy have to be made."

Harry had the sinking feeling that this was a matter of several years. His jaw dropped a little.

"It may take several weeks. Unless you have a better suggestion, Mr Potter?"

Harry presumed that this was a rhetorical question, but he did have an idea.

"Can we summon a house elf? They may be able to apparate us out of here?"

Snape smirked. "Did you truly think that I hadn't considered that option? Deductive reasoning doesn't seem be part of your cognitive abilities."

Harry didn't reply.

He wasn't too keen to go back to the Dursleys anyway. It was bothering him that he was unable to decide which one was the lesser of the two evils though.

"In order to achieve those targets, there needs to be some form of drawback from your side. Obedience is essential in order to get out of here."

"Yes, sir," muttered Harry, feeling his bruised chin.

"I have laid out a list for you. Every point has to be worked off. I assume you are not familiar with the concept of chores, but I assure... hard work does not damage the soul of celebrities. Start now."

Harry read.

Create two habitable rooms. Preferably staff or common rooms. Clean one bathroom, one kitchen. Find and prepare nourishment. Do not use magic.

He was very familiar with lists and chores, but of course, he wouldn't surrender that information.

"POTTER!"

Harry flinched a little.

"Is something not clear or are you contemplating the word choice for your letter of complaint?"

Harry shook his head in resignation. Who would he complain to anyway? The ministry, which was invaded by Death Eaters? Every adult who had ever cared about him was dead.

"It is clear, sir."

To be continued...
End Notes:
Special thanks to my beta tabbycat.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1545