Growing Pains by Snapegirl
Past Featured StorySummary: The sequel to Never Again!

Things are going well for the Snape family, after the near disasters of the past year, except for a few minor mishaps. But when Harry meets two new Muggleborn witches in his primary school, one of whom has a mother Sev decides to date, Harry must realize that he’s not the only person in his father’s life anymore. And so, like any child, he must go through the sometimes frustrating, occasionally funny, and totally bewildering process of growing up, with help from Tobias, of course.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Hermione, Original Character, Remus, Ron, Sirius, Tobias Snape
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Child fic, Kidnapped
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Physical Punishment Spanking, Profanity, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: Never Again!
Chapters: 27 Completed: Yes Word count: 150554 Read: 144309 Published: 07 May 2008 Updated: 17 Jun 2008
Just the Way You Are by Snapegirl
Author's Notes:
Sev and Alaina's romantic night out, where Sev reveals his true feelings.

Thanks to all my wonderful reviewers, you are awesome and please keep reading!

I had been planning to take Alaina to the theater and a nice dinner for quite some time now. But somehow, between my work and all, our big date kept getting canceled. Finally, we managed to coordinate our schedules so we could make reservations at Amberleys, which was a top notch steak and seafood restaurant, and go see the production of Phantom of the Opera that was playing at the London Theatre. Amberleys was owned and run by the couple whom I had delivered a baby for last year, they had named their daughter after me. They were thrilled that I was coming with a special lady to their restaurant, and promised me the best they could offer, as well as a special guest appearance by little Severina.

Amberleys was a wizarding establishment, but that didn't bother either of us one bit. Alaina was now as comfortable around us and our magic as if she'd been born to it. And no one would dare question a lady I was escorting, Muggle or otherwise. I dressed in my best suit and second-best robes, though I'd remove them and put on the suit jacket when we left the restaurant and Apparated to the theater.

"Sev, you look divine!" were the first words out of Alaina's mouth upon seeing me standing on her front porch. She gave me a leisurely once over that made my pulse start racing uncontrollably.

It was all I could do not to take her in my arms and kiss her senseless, carry her inside, and make love to her on the couch. She looked positively gorgeous, by my standards. "So do you, sweetheart," I murmured, and gave her my most seductive smile.

She colored instantly. "Sev! Stop that!"

"Stop what?"

"Looking at me like that."

I arched an eyebrow naughtily. "Like what?" I purred.

"Like you want to go inside and do something else besides go to dinner and a play, Healer Snape. Something involving a bed, I mean."

I smirked. "My thoughts are leaning in that direction, Alaina dearest." Then I added, not wanting to push her too far, for she was wary of such intimacy given what her bastard ex-husband had done to her, "But I'll control myself, and behave like a gentleman if that's what you wish."

"For now. Later . . .who knows?"

Oh, you little tease! She was dressed in a pretty emerald green dress that flowed to her ankles, and displayed all her curves to their best advantage. She had allowed some of her beautiful curly hair to be piled atop her head and left the rest to flow down her back in a midnight curtain. My fingers longed to bury themselves in the untamable mass and stroke it and play with it. Alaina's hair was made for a man to run his fingers through over and over, a privilege I'd been allowed several times already, but one that I never tired of.

I caught her gently in my arms and kissed her, one gentle yet breath-stealing kiss, enough to leave us both feeling pangs of desire. She had never invited me to her bed, nor would I pressure her to, knowing her past. I had been going slowly, letting her make most of the advances, for I did not want to frighten my shy little blackbird away. I could afford to be patient, I was no longer seventeen, and marriage to Lily had taught me much about pleasuring a woman. Half the fun was in the chase, not the capture, though that too was sweet.

Reluctantly, I drew away from her. One day it would go beyond kissing and caresses, but not just yet. "Are you ready to go to dinner?"

"Yes. I'm starving. I only ate breakfast today. How about you?"

"Guilty as well. I wanted to save room for dinner. Amberleys has a reputation to live up to." I took her arm and hugged her to me. "Ready?"

"Yes."

I concentrated, then we Apparated from her house and into the wizarding side of London, on Silver Salver Street, right in front of the restaurant.

The most delicious smells were wafting into the street as I stepped up and opened the door for Alaina. I started to salivate like a hungry manticore, or Hagrid's pet three-headed dog, Fluffy. "Ladies first."

"Oh, your mother sure raised you right, Sev," she laughed, and preceded me inside.

We were greeted by a young blond man wearing a smart tux and matching robes. "Good evening and welcome to Amberleys. Might I have your name and the time of your reservation?" He was standing before a tall podium with a large book perched on the lectern and an equally impressive peacock quill.

"Snape. We have reservations for 6:30." I answered.

The host blinked, then gulped and said, "Healer Snape, we've been anxiously awaiting your arrival, sir. Right this way please, sir, and my lady." He bowed to Alaina, who colored even more.

Then he led the way past a large dining area with cozy booths and tables for two or four people at the most and into an alcove with a large window, which faced the Thames. It was a beautiful view, and clearly this was privileged seating, since there were only four booths available and only one of them was occupied.

The host gestured for us to be seated and said, in a slightly breathless tone, "I'll inform Mr. and Mrs. Amberley of your arrival, sir. They asked me to summon them immediately when you arrived." He pulled a small round crystal out of a pocket and cupped it in his hand. "It's Tristan, sir," he spoke into the globe, which swirled with a myriad of colors. "Healer Snape and his lady have arrived."

The globe went clear and then Dan Amberley's face appeared in it. "I'm on my way, Tristan."

Then the crystal ball went dark and Tristan returned it to a pocket of his robes. "He and Mrs. Amberley should be here shortly. In the meantime, I'll have Pevensie bring you drinks." He clapped his hand two times and then there was a pop! and a house elf wearing a tunic and trousers appeared.

"VIP's, Pevensie. You know what to do."

"Yes, Master Tristan." The house elf bowed low and said, "Pevensie at your service. How may I help? Would you care to see our wine list? Or perhaps the lady would like a sherry cordial?" He gazed at us earnestly, but there was nothing cringing or servile about him. This was a house elf servant, not a slave, I could tell that by the clothes he wore. He chose to work for the Amberleys, he was not bound.

Tristan returned to his post by the door, his duty done. I cleared my throat and said, "A small glass of honey wine for me, please."

"Very good, sir. And you, my lady?"

"Uh, do you make desert pear margaritas?"

Pevensie nodded. "Indeed, lady. We can make anything you wish. I shall return shortly."

Then he vanished with another pop.

Alaina turned to me and asked softly, "Was that a-a gnome or something?"

"House elf. But one who serves willingly, not bound to a family. Or perhaps he was once, but was freed." I explained. "You can free a house elf by giving him or her clothes."

"Oh." She bent to examine our place settings, which were of fine bone china with a gold wave pattern etched upon them and crystal glasses and gold gilded flatware. A napkin shaped like a swan was on our plate. "I hate to use this, but oh well," she said practically, unfolding the cloth regretfully and spreading it in her lap. Then she began to read the menu.

In two minutes, Pevensie popped back into view, carrying the tray of drinks. "Here you go, sir, my lady." He presented us each with our drinks. "If you wish anything else, please do not hesitate to call me. Just clap your hands two times and say my name, Pevensie."

‘Thank you, Pevensie," Alaina said. "Your service is impeccable."

"Ah, you are too kind, my lady," the house elf blushed. I didn't even know they could. "Might I know your name?"

"Alaina. And this is Healer Snape."

Pevensie looked like he was going to fall on the floor. "Oh, it is a great honor! A great honor indeed to serve the hero Healer Snape, who brought about the downfall of the darkest wizard ever! And you as well, Lady Alaina." He bowed three times. Then he vanished.

"Hero Snape?" Alaina quirked an eyebrow at me.

I coughed, embarrassed, for I didn't consider myself any kind of hero, merely a Master Healer doing his utmost to rid the world of a tyrant and a mass murderer. James Potter had been the hero, sacrificing himself for his friends. "Remember the story I told you about brewing a magic-inhibiting potion to stop Voldemort? That's what the elf's referring to. Because of my work on the Null Magic Draft, they call me hero. But I'm not. I was just an accessory. The real heroes are the Aurors, my friends, Remus, Sirius, and James, who lost his life in slaying Voldemort."

"But it was your potion that enabled them to kill him forever, right?"

"Yes, but even without magic, the bastard was still deadly. His snake Nagini was what killed James. Poisoned him with her bite. I'm told he died nearly instantly. Then Remus ripped the bloody snake apart in werewolf form. She was old Voldy's familiar, her death weakened him even further and thus Remus and Sirius were able to kill him, then burn his body and scatter the ash to the four corners of the earth. He can't ever be resurrected now."

"Resurrected?" Alaina repeated in awe. "You can bring the dead to life?"

"No. Not the way you mean, like in the Bible. It's necromancy, the blackest and most forbidden of arts. But Padfoot and Moony made sure that could never happen. So the shadow of Voldemort is gone for all time."

"Thank God for small favors," Alaina breathed. Then she flashed me an impish grin. "You'll always be a hero to me, Sev."

I coughed uncomfortably. "I'd rather be a Master Healer, that's far more rewarding. Heroes die too young. Or meet with tragedy. No thank you. Plain Healer Snape is good enough for me."

Before I could say something else, the Amberleys arrived, Marian Amberly holding baby Severina in her arms. But she was a baby no longer. She was a cute year-old bundle of mischief. "Hello, Healer Sev! So glad you could make it," Marian said, grinning broadly at me. "And who's your friend?"

"Marian and Dan, meet Alaina Montague." I introduced Alaina to them.

They shook her hand and welcomed her. Severina looked at us shyly from behind a hand, then Alaina smiled at her and she smiled back. The toddler had soft brown hair that stuck straight up and big blue eyes. "And who's this pretty little lady?" asked Alaina.

"This is Severina, or just Rina for short. Rina, can you say hi to Healer Sev and Alaina? He delivered you," said Marian, with all the pride of a new parent.

Severina looked at us, then lifted a tiny hand in a wave. "Hi. I, Rina."

"Hello, little one," I said, and smiled at her. She was adorable, and seeing her awakened my long suppressed desire for a little girl of my own, one that I had put away when I married Lily, who could bear no more children. "She's a beautiful child."

"Isn't she just?" her father said, beaming at his daughter. "And bright too. She speaks very well for her age. But then again, she's your namesake, so it only follows she'd be smart."

"You flatter me," I protested.

"No. I speak the truth. Anyway, I'm so glad you decided to eat here, Healer Sev. You won't regret it. Anything you want is yours. You just have to ask."

"Will do, and thank you for bringing Severina over to see me. Usually I don't get to see the babies I deliver unless they come to my office for a check-up, and then they're terrified of me sticking them with a needle."

"That's why we brought her to Healer Silverman instead," Marian said with a little smirk. "So she can be afraid of him and not you."

I laughed. "That's very kind of you, Marian."

"It's the least I can do, after what you did for me, bringing her into the world and all, Healer Sev." Then she changed the subject. "Enjoy your meal, and like my husband says, if you need or want anything, just ask." She turned to her daughter. "Can you say bye, Rina?"

"Bye." The little imp lisped, and waved a hand.

"Goodbye, Severina."

"Bye, sweetie."

Then the Amberleys Apparated away, leaving us to peruse the menu and make our choices. We had clams casino for an appetizer along with some crab dip that was so good I wished I had the recipe.

"Mmm! Sev, this is fantastic," Alaina commented. "Did you try the cheddar biscuits? They're to die for. I feel like kidnapping their chef!"

I bit into a biscuit, it was light, airy, and the taste was exquisite. "I'll help you." I offered, smirking. "What are you going to order?"

"Uh, I'm not sure. It all looks great." She read the menu again and asked what I was ordering.

"Filet mignon and a lobster tail with a side of wild rice," I answered.

"I think I'll have the shrimp scampi over linguini, I love shrimp."

"Sounds good."

"Thank God you're not a control freak like my ex was. Whenever we went out to a restaurant he used to order for me, like I was too stupid to make up my own mind."

I scowled. "You're well rid of him, Alaina. He sounds like a first class heartless piece of trash." I had another word in mind, but my mother had always told me to never swear in public in a formal setting, so I restrained myself, though I cursed him like a sailor roundly in my head.

"Too true, Sev. The only favor he did me and the world was producing Lexy. Other than that, he was a waste of breath and chromosomes."

I had to laugh at that, she wasn't pulling her punches, which told me that her ex was probably the worst of men. "I would never treat you so casually, Alaina."

"I know, Sev. There is no comparison between you. Honestly, I wonder what I ever saw in him? Just his looks or maybe that and his infernal charm, because Daniel could charm the wings off a butterfly when he chose. Ah, well, I was young and stupid."

"Not stupid. Misled. He took advantage of you," I argued.

"Yeah, he sure did." Alaina admitted, and the look of sorrow was back in her eyes for an instant. "Let's not talk about Dan, okay? He'll give me indigestion, which would be a crime here."

I nodded and complimented her on her dress until Pevensie returned and took our dinner orders.

The food was superb, and I can't remember when I'd enjoyed a meal more, unless it was one I'd cooked myself and shared with family. Everything was done just right and Alaina swore the chef must have magical recipes or something. I laughed at her. "Alaina, magical recipes only save time, they don't improve the taste of the food. But whoever cooks is a master."

We finished all our dinner, and then the house elf returned to ask if we would like a coffee or dessert.

"Do you think you can fit it?" I asked my girlfriend.

"Umm . . .not really, but I will anyhow. I'm dying to taste the desserts."

"Good! Good!" Pevensie squealed. "Here is the dessert menu."

We read it and decided on the homemade apple cinnamon streusel with a scoop of cinnamon-vanilla ice cream on top for Alaina, and some chocolate mousse cake for me, plus coffee.

The dessert was as wonderful as the rest of the dinner.

When I asked Pevensie to bring me the bill, the house elf just stood there. "Oh, sir, I cannot do that."

"What? Why not?"

"I have my orders from the master, sir. Your dinner is gratis, sir. Compliments of the master and missus."

"Pevensie, there must be a mistake!" I protested. "I can't accept this."

"Ah, I'm afraid you must, Master Healer. My master's wishes were most explicit."

I sputtered for a few more minutes, then gave in. I didn't have the whole evening to make up my mind, we also had a play to go to. "Thank you. And tell your master thank you as well, and if he ever needs a Healer to treat his family, give me a call."

"I shall, sir. Thank you, sir."

So we left and I Apparated to the theater. We had seats in the mezzanine and that meant we could see and hear everything. I had always loved Phantom, I had seen it twice before with Lily, and every time I saw it, it moved me. Alaina had never seen it, despite it being a huge hit in the US on Broadway.

I loved watching her react to it as much as I loved the play itself. She grew so involved that she laughed and cried right along with Christine, Raoul, and the Phantom. Not that I blamed her, for I had done the same thing, and still did. The dark romanticism of this play appealed to me, and it never failed to leave me with a sense of regret. But it was a wonderful production.

Afterwards, we walked along the river and it was then that I made a conscious decision to tell Alaina more about my past. If I was ever going to marry again, I would pick a woman like Alaina, honest, ordinary, and very sensitive to others' feelings. But love doesn't last unless you're honest. And I had told her some of my past with Tobias, but not all.

So we strolled along silently for a few minutes, enjoying the view and I was enjoying her hand in mine. Until Alaina said quietly, "I almost don't believe this is real, me being here with you, that is. Who would've thought a chance meeting in a supermarket would end up like this?"

"Sometimes chance and fate conspire." I remarked. "Do you regret it?"

"No, not at all. When I first moved here, I feared Lexy and I would stand out like a sore thumb, I thought I'd never make any friends and then there you were. But you know what amazes me even more than that?"

"What?"

"That you like ordinary me, who has no special talent or magic, unless you count picking the worst scoundrel in America and marrying him," she said with a wry face. "I mean, your first wife was a witch, you didn't need to explain anything about your world to her."

"Ah, now that's where you're wrong, Alaina. Lily was a Muggleborn, like Lexy, and had no clue about the wizarding world. Yes, her magic did compliment mine, but that wasn't the reason why I loved her. I loved her first for who she was, not what she was. I loved her, not her magic, talented though she was." I stopped and turned to her, bracketing her face in my hands gently. "The same way that I do you. You say you're ordinary like it's a bad thing. It isn't. We need the ordinary to anchor us to the real world, to keep us from being too proud. And you, in your little ordinary way, are extraordinary to me. For it's the little things that matter most. Like the way you try to absorb every scrap of information at my seminars, or the way you let my son share your Mother's Day breakfast, or the way you accept me despite not knowing half of what you should about my past. It is you who amaze me. For I never thought to find a woman who could love my son who was not his mother, or even love me that way again."

"Of course I could, Sev! Who wouldn't love Harry? And who wouldn't love you? You're smart and kind and you have the most amazing talent and all I need to do is hear your voice and I feel safe and loved. Not to mention that you're handsome as sin."

"But I can also be a first class perfectionist pain in the ass, as you American say. And I have a temper inherited from my father, though I would never harm you. I'm also stubborn and I work too much. I'm not perfect by any means."

"So who wants perfect? Perfect's a lie. There is no such thing. I was sure I had perfect once, but all I had was a bunch of illusions. But you, somehow I know here," she tapped her heart. "You're the real thing, Sev. You understand me better than anyone."

"That's because I've walked the same road you have, Alaina. I told you before that Tobias was a recovered alcoholic. What I didn't tell you is that before a year and a half ago I hadn't seen him in over six years, not since the day of my mother's funeral. When I knocked him down for making my childhood a misery. I grew up with a very nasty alcoholic for a father, one whose answer to everything I did wrong was a sound thrashing with his belt. And sometimes he beat me over nothing."

"Oh, God. Your mom too?"

"No. He never raised a hand to her. Quarreled with her like cats and dogs, mostly over money and me, but one good thing is he never hit her. Me, seemed like I ended up over his knee every day. I feared and hated him for most of my childhood, and my mother died still praying one day we would be reconciled. I never thought it would happen. Until I ended up in a coma for three months and the Ministry placed Harry with him instead of Matthew or Albus."

"They placed a child with a man who had such a history?" Alaina frowned.

"They didn't know. No one did, I never spoke of it. And he was my next of kin, and according to our laws, that's who a minor is placed with, providing they are of sound mind and body and have employment. Tobias met that criteria plus he had just come out of rehab. So he was sober, though not very pleased at taking my brat in."

"But he loves Harry. And . . .you too, I've seen the way he looks at you, Sev."

"Yes, he does now. He changed, it's almost like he's a different person now, though he's still a stubborn, strict, no-nonsense bastard. Harry had a great deal to do with that, because he made my curmudgeon grouchy father love him in spite of everything. With Harry, I think he realizes what he'd missed with me and where he went wrong. I didn't trust him at first, but after a long time, now I do." I went on to tell her about the spell, Legilimens Memorium, I'd cast on Tobias to make him see things from my point of view, and how he ‘d saved me and Harry when the Death Eaters attacked on Halloween. And then I'd saved him and buried the hatchet between us at last. "Our relationship is still a bit rocky at times, but at least we have one now. I'm sorry, I should've told you this before."

"Why? Just because I tell my friends my life story, doesn't mean you have to, hon. I went through counseling before I could talk about what Daniel did to me so easily. I know how hard it is for you to talk about it, and I'm touched you would share such a private matter with me."

"Why? Turnabout's fair play, Montague. Like the Phantom, it was time for me to stop hiding my face and take off the mask. Because you deserve to know the truth and a relationship built on secrets and lies won't last. And I want this to last. I want it very much." Then I bent my head and kissed her, and this time my kiss was no gentle thing, but wild and filled with longing.

She put her arms around me and kissed me back, reaffirming what I had already suspected, that she wanted me as much as I wanted her. As lover, friend, and possibly husband. Together, we celebrated our ordinary extraordinary love for one another, and the night was filled with music only we could hear.

When at last we separated, both of us were gasping and grinning like idiots.

"We'd better keep walking, Sev. Before someone calls the cops for indecent displays of public affection," she teased, her eyes glowing with a brilliant warmth that set me on fire.

"Let them," I said recklessly. Then I took her arm again and started walking. "So, now you know the truth. I have forgiven my father, but I'll never forget. Though I have no fear he'll ever hurt Harry the way he did me, so you needn't fear Lexy will be in any danger either."

"I know. I know now what to look for, and your dad doesn't show any signs now of being an abuser. Not like Daniel."

"Dad admits freely that half of his problem came from the alcohol, and the other half was his temper. I make no excuses for him, but he has learned to control the one and do without the other. And therefore he is a much better person."

"Does he still go to meetings?"

"Yes. Every week. They've helped him as has spending time with Harry and me, doing things like fishing and woodworking, as a family. Like I said before, he wants now what he didn't, or didn't know he wanted, back then. And now I can finally see just why my mother married him. I never could before."

"We all wear masks, Sev. To hide our vulnerability. I know I did."

"And now?"

"Now I've taken it off for good and all, like you. I must admit, hearing about your father's past makes me a bit uneasy, but I trust you. You would never harm Lexy."

"Never. I love her like she was my own."

"Just like I love Harry, Sev. That'll never change."

"Nor will my love for you. I set no conditions, Alaina. You don't have to be thin, or blond, or associate with snooty clients to make me love you. Or have magic either. Because I love you just the way you are."

"You really mean that?"

"Yes."

She gazed up at me, her eyes glistening with unshed tears of joy. "God, Sev! How did I ever get so lucky? I love you too, Healer mine, just the way you are."

Then she hugged me and I held her, content to just be together, enjoying the beauty and serenity of the night, the moonlight upon the water, and the stars sparkling overhead. The shy little blackbird had come to my hand at last, and I would make sure she had nothing to fear ever again.

 

"I love you, blackbird," I whispered in her ear and began to play with her hair.

"I love you too, sorcerer," she answered, and in her eyes I saw my heart reflected.

* * * * * *

 

You would think that after such a romantic evening, I would be able to go home and sleep peacefully, dreaming of the day when I proposed to Alaina, right? Wrong.

Because when Alaina and I returned to my house, we discovered our two babysitters sleeping like the dead, the house looked like a wrecking crew had gone through it, and the kids were sleeping like innocent little angels. I just stood there, my mouth opening and shutting, wondering if I were dreaming.

"My God, Sev! What the hell happened?"

"I don't know." I said grimly. "But I'm going to find out." I bent to shake Sirius's shoulder. "Wake up, Padfoot! What the bloody hell d'you mean falling asleep and letting the kids wreck my house? Some babysitter you are."

But he didn't wake. Not even a twitch. That was very odd. Padfoot liked to sleep, but he woke quickly, like a dog or an Auror trained to sleep deeply but awaken at a moment's notice. I frowned and went over to my father. "Dad? What the hell happened here?" No response. He was sleeping like the dead too, and I could detect no traces of alcohol on either of them. "Something's not right here," I muttered, and cast a diagnostic.

"What's wrong with them?" Alaina asked in concern.

"They're under the influence of a Sleeping Draft," I answered, growing more and more puzzled. "But I can't understand why they'd use one. Especially with three kids to watch. That's not at all like my father. Or Sirius either."

"What's this?" Alaina asked, picking up the half empty box of truffles.

I took them and sniffed. Something smelled off about them. Not like they were spoiled, but there was a lavender odor lingering. Who ever heard of lavender flavored truffles? I frowned and cast another spell on them. "These contain a Sleeping Draft inside them." My eyes flashed. "I think, Alaina, they've been the victim of a very naughty little prank. This is the twins' handiwork, I just know it."

 

"You think Harry and Ron and Lexy . . .gave these to them on purpose?"

I nodded grimly. "Yes. It was most likely Harry or Ron's idea. My son has much to answer for."

"Will they be all right?"

"Yes. There are no side-effects that I can determine."

"Do you want me to help you clean up?" she gestured to the fallen lamp and the bowls of half-melted ice cream, the empty cans and napkins scattered all over.

"No. That's going to be the job of those who made this mess in the first place." I said, then went into Harry's bedroom to wake up my son, who was now in trouble up to his eyebrows, the wretched little scamp.

The End.
End Notes:
So how was that for a romantic interlude?

Next: The consequences of the bedtime prank are revealed at last. Hell hath no fury like a Snape!


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1553