Growing Pains by Snapegirl
Past Featured StorySummary: The sequel to Never Again!

Things are going well for the Snape family, after the near disasters of the past year, except for a few minor mishaps. But when Harry meets two new Muggleborn witches in his primary school, one of whom has a mother Sev decides to date, Harry must realize that he’s not the only person in his father’s life anymore. And so, like any child, he must go through the sometimes frustrating, occasionally funny, and totally bewildering process of growing up, with help from Tobias, of course.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Hermione, Original Character, Remus, Ron, Sirius, Tobias Snape
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Child fic, Kidnapped
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Physical Punishment Spanking, Profanity, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: Never Again!
Chapters: 27 Completed: Yes Word count: 150554 Read: 144312 Published: 07 May 2008 Updated: 17 Jun 2008
A Stranger Is Watching by Snapegirl
Author's Notes:
The Snapes & Lexy celebrate Father's Day, but just around the corner, something sinister is lurking.

Harry's POV

By the time my two weeks was up and I could play with my friends again, it was Father's Day. All that time I'd had nothing to do but chores around the house, play with Inky (the only friend I wasn't forbidden to see), and help Grandpa finish his Father's Day present and make my own. Still, I knew I deserved it, for giving Grandpa and Uncle Sirius a potion that might've killed them. (Though Uncle Sirius was more amused than angry.) I decided that I'd never play any pranks on people involving potions unless I knew for sure that the potion wouldn't harm them at all. Dad had already begun to show me a few basic potions, though I was never allowed to make them or be inside his lab unless he was there.

But now it was Father's Day, and since it was a Sunday, we'd be spending the whole day with Grandpa. I'd wanted to invite Lexy and Alaina to join us, but Alaina wasn't feeling all that well. Dad offered to make her a potion, but she said it was just a woman problem and she'd be all right in a day or two. But for now, she would just stay home and take it easy. However, she had agreed to allow Lexy to come with us, since I'd gotten to go with her for Mother's Day.

Dad went over to pick her up at 7AM, dropped off a potion for Alaina in spite of her protests, and brought Lexy back to our house. Lexy was wearing the same pretty lavender and white dress she'd worn for the Mother's Day breakfast and was very excited to be spending Father's Day with us and be able to play with me again.

"But you and Ron sure were dumb-playing a prank like that on your grandpa, of all people!" she said when I'd told her why I'd been punished for so long.

"Aw, shut up, Lexy!" I growled, even though I knew she was right. She didn't need to rub it in.

She stuck her tongue out at me.

I made a cross-eyed monster face back at her.

Then she began to laugh and before I knew it, we were both laughing, and I'd forgiven her for saying that. "So, what've you been doing over the summer?"

"Umm .. .Mom and I went shopping for summer clothes, since we didn't bring all that much with us from Pennsylvania. That was fun. I got some neat outfits. And I played with Hermione almost everyday. She got a new chemistry set and we made all kinds of experiments and we started a lemonade stand and made some money. Mom and I went to the movies one day and the mall, and that was all."

"Oh. Sounds better than what I was doing for two weeks." I admitted.

She rolled her eyes at me. "Well, duh! Anything's better than getting grounded, silly!" She looked thoughtful then she asked, "Does your dad punish you a lot? Is he, like, real strict?"

"Umm . . .only sometimes. And he only punishes me when I've been bad, not for nothing. Usually, I don't get grounded this way unless I've been really bad. Normally, he just yells at me and makes me go to time-out, or to my room. And he only spanks me when I break one of the real serious rules, like leaving my house without permission or touching his potions or acting like a spoiled rotten brat."

"Oh. Did he spank you over the prank you pulled?"

I nodded. "Yeah. But it only hurts for like ten minutes. Why? Does your mum spank you?"

Lexy shook her head. "No. Once or twice she's given me a swat, but it was my dad who spanked me. And he really hurt me. He used a slipper." Lexy answered, and I could see her eyes go wide, like she was scared. "Mom used to fight with him something awful when he did that, and he smacked her too, sometimes. I'm glad the police arrested him, Harry. I'm glad! He was like the meanest dad in the world. I'm happy I don't have to see him any more and that he's alone on Father's Day, ‘cause he deserves it."

Then she burst into tears.

I felt terrible. "Lexy, hey. Don't cry."

She ignored me and just cried harder.

Oh no! What had I done? I hadn't meant to make her upset. I stood there, biting my lip and wishing I could do something or say something to make her feel better, when my dad came into the den.

"Lexy? Why are you crying?" he asked softly. "Harry, did you two have an argument or something?"

"No, Dad. We were just talking about my punishment and I asked her about her dad . . ." I quickly told him what had gone on. "I'm really sorry, Dad. I didn't mean to make her all upset."

"It's not your fault, son. Sometimes little children who have had bad fathers like Lexy's get upset when they talk about them, because it makes them remember things they want to forget." Dad said.

Then he went and knelt in front of Lexy, who was still crying. "Lexy, sweetling, it's okay. Your father isn't here now, and he'll never hurt you or your mother again. You don't have to be afraid, little one. No one will ever hurt you like that again."

Dad's voice got real soft, like when he's talking to me before I fall asleep, or when I have a nightmare and wake up crying. It sounds like velvet, all soft and warm and cuddly.

"Promise?" Lexy whispered.

"I promise." Then he picked her up and snuggled with her in his lap, the way he always did to me when I cried and was scared or hurt.

Lexy put her arms around him and cried some more and Dad held her and rubbed her back and told her to hush and rocked her.

I knew that when he did that to me, I always felt better.

I guess Lexy did too, for she stopped crying after awhile, and just sat on Dad's lap, with her face in his shoulder, sniffling. And he just held her and patted her back until she had stopped sniffling. Then he sat her up and gave her a tissue to blow her nose and wipe her face. "Feel better now?"

"Yeah. You're a lot nicer than my dad, Healer Sev. He used to say that I was a big baby when I cried. I never want to see him again! Never ever!"

"And you won't have to, sweetling. Your dad was a very nasty man and you shouldn't believe anything he told you. It's okay to cry, Lexy. All kids do, even grown-ups cry sometimes. That's why we have tears. Crying is a good thing, because it lets you get the sadness inside you out and then you can feel better."

" I do feel better now." Lexy said quietly. "I just get upset sometimes when I remember my dad, Healer Sev. He did a lot of bad things to my mom and me."

"I know, little one. I know how you feel about him, believe me," Dad said, hugging her to him. "And if you remember anything else about him that upsets you, child, you come to me and I'll hug you and you can cry all over me if you want, okay?"

"Okay. Thanks, Healer Sev." Then she looked at him and said, "I wish you were my dad."

I wasn't surprised at all when she said that. My dad was the best dad in the world and it was too bad Lexy had such a mean one.

"Oh, Lexy!" was all Dad said, and then he hugged her again.

"You can borrow him for today," I said then. "Like I borrowed your mum for the breakfast."

"Really?" She grinned at me. "Thanks, Harry! I'd love to have your dad be mine for a day."

I smiled back at her. "And you can borrow Grandpa too,' cause we can't leave him out."

"Okay. But my Poppi, he's mom's dad, is very nice. I used to live with him before we moved here. I write to him sometimes, and Nana too. But I like Mr. Toby too. He fishes and carves better than anybody."

Yup, that sure was true. I couldn't wait to see Dad's face when he saw the present Grandpa had made him. I'd helped sand some of it and it looked awesome. I hoped Grandpa would like the present I'd bought for him. Dad had helped me pick it out and I thought it was pretty cool. I'd also made him a card.

"Yes, he does," Dad agreed.

Lexy slid off his lap then and he stood up. "Are you two just about ready to go over to Spinner's End?"

"Almost." Lexy answered. "I just need to finish signing my cards. Mom helped me make them last night, before she got sick. She'll be better tomorrow, right?"

"Yes. If she drinks the potion and the tea I gave her," Dad answered. "Finish your card, Lexy, then we can Apparate over to my father's."

Lexy raced into my room, where she'd left the cards on my desk. Two minutes later she was back, the cards in a little folder and Misty under her arm. "I'm ready now, Healer Sev!"

"Good girl! You were quick as a flash." He looked at me. "Come on, Harry."

"Dad, do you have Grandpa's present from me?"

"Yes. It's in my pocket along with mine." He picked me up and then he picked up Lexy. Then we were off to Spinner's End.

Grandpa opened the door soon as we rang the bell. "Well, what's this? Company already?" he asked, like he didn't know we'd be coming over.

"Happy Father's Day, Grandpa!" I shouted, and Lexy echoed me a minute later, only she called him Mr. Toby.

"Happy Father's Day, Dad."

"Same to you, Sev. Come on in, I've got coffee and donuts and some of those cinnamon scones you like so much, Severus." Grandpa stepped back and we all came inside.

Ah ha! So that's why Dad didn't have us eat breakfast before we came over. I licked my lips, for I rarely ate donuts for breakfast at home. Dad said they had way too much sugar to eat first thing in the morning. But not today.

"Thank you." Dad said, then he sighed. "Donuts at seven-thirty in the morning-these two are going to be bouncing off the walls."

"Nah. One won't do ‘em any harm. It's the breakfast of champions."

"Right," snorted Dad.

"I thought that was Wheaties," Lexy stated.

"That too," Grandpa chuckled. "You're one smart cookie, kid. Both of you are."

We followed him into the kitchen where the smells of coffee brewing and the donuts made my stomach start growling like a T-Rex on a diet.

"Well, what are you waiting for, Christmas?" asked Grandpa. "Sit and eat."

Lexy and I didn't need to be told twice. We sat down and snatched a donut off the plate in the center of the table and put it on a paper plate and started eating. "Dad? Can I have coffee too?" I asked through a mouthful of a double chocolate cream.

"Harry, finish chewing before you ask me anything. You'll choke," Dad reminded me. "And I could hardly understand you."

I swallowed what I had in my mouth and repeated my question.

"You may, but with half milk in it, like a latte."

"Why?" asked Lexy.

"Because regular coffee is too strong for little children and has too much caffeine in it," replied Dad. He set about making the coffee for us while we ate.

Lexy and I each ate two donuts and Dad didn't say anything.

He was eating one of those cinnamon scones Grandpa had bought specially for him with butter and drinking a big mug of coffee.

Grandpa was eating some donuts and some scones, he liked anything sweet.

Since it was Father's Day, that meant Dad and Grandpa could do whatever they pleased for the whole day. Usually, Dad spent Father's Day making potions for a bit, then watching TV or reading with me beside him. I made him breakfast once I was old enough not to spill anything and use the toaster. I could only make toast and cereal, but Dad said it was excellent toast and the cereal was first rate too. I could make coffee too and I always gave him it and orange juice.

But I liked Grandpa's breakfast better. Donuts beat cereal and toast any day of the week.

Once we were finished, Dad used a cleaning charm to wash the dishes then we went into the den so we could give Grandpa and Dad their presents.

Dad enlarged the present I'd gotten Grandpa, he'd shrunk it so it would fit in his pocket when he Apparated. Then he handed it to me, along with my card.

"All right. You first, Grandpa, since you're the oldest," I said. Then I handed him my present, it was wrapped in blue paper with ties on it.

He opened it carefully, then laughed when he saw what it was. "Thank you, Harry. I can wear this to work tomorrow." It was a blue T-shirt with the words The Man Wearing This Shirt is the World's Best Grandpa written in white letters. He folded it and held out his arms and I hugged him. "You're the world's best grandson, y'know," he whispered in my ear.

"I know." Then I drew away, and pointed to Lexy. "Your turn next, Lexy."

She shyly handed Grandpa the card she had made. Grandpa examined it carefully. "What a wonderful card. Did you make this yourself, kitten?"

"Uh-huh. Mom helped. But the real present's inside. Open it!" she said, bouncing from foot to foot excitedly.

"Relax, jitterbug," laughed Grandpa. "I'm not going anywhere." Inside the card was a gift certificate for Tony's Bake Shoppe, which was where Grandpa had gotten the donuts and scones. "Thank you, Lexy. You know me too well."

She ran to sit on his lap too and gave him a hug and kiss on the cheek. "You're welcome, Mr. Toby. I knew you'd like it."

Then it was Dad's turn. He handed Grandpa a long envelope. Inside it were season passes to all the London Wasp games. The Wasps were Grandpa's favorite rugby team.

"Severus! You didn't have to do that!"

"Why not? I figured you'd like this more than a mug or another shirt," said Dad, smirking slyly. "Was I right?"

"Yes, you were. There, I said it. Happy now?"

"Thrilled. That was the best gift, Dad," teased my father.

"Don't be a smartass, boy," Grandpa growled, but it was a pretend growl and he was smiling. "Thank you very much, Sev."

"Now it's your turn for presents, Dad!" I cried happily. "Grandpa, where'd you put mine?"

"Right here, Harry," He handed me the flat package wrapped in green paper.

I pulled my card out and shoved it on top of the package, then handed it to my dad. "Here you go, Dad. Happy Father's Day."

He opened the card first, it was one of my better efforts. Then he opened the present. It was a handmade picture frame, Grandpa had helped me make it and then I'd written on the top #1 Dad Forever and on the bottom, Love Harry. Inside it was a picture of me and Dad together.

"This is perfect, Harry. Did you make this yourself?"

"Yup, but Grandpa helped me a lot." I answered. "You could put it on your desk in your office at work, Dad."

"That's a very good idea, Harry. You did a fantastic job on this. Thank you."

I gave him a big hug too.

Lexy came up and gave him her card and gift. Inside Dad's card was a gift certificate to the bookstore. "Now how did you know I could use one of these?"

"I dunno. I just did, ‘cause you like to read just like me and Harry."

"And you are right, miss. I love to read and wish I had more time to do so. Thank you."

Lexy gave him a kiss and hug as well.

Then at last it was Grandpa's turn and this was what I'd been waiting for. Grandpa reached over the side of the couch and picked up a medium sized box. He handed it to Dad.

I watched excitedly as Dad opened it. The carving Grandpa had done of Dad, me, and Inky was wrapped up in bubble wrap inside the box. He gently undid the wrap and took out the statue. It was beautiful, Grandpa had stained it with natural and dark wood stain, and polished it until it shone. On the bottom of the base were his initials TDS, burned into the wood.

"Dad . . .this is . . .I don't know what to say . . ." He kept turning the statue over and over in his hands, admiring it.

Grandpa looked embarrassed. "D'you like it, Sev?"

"Like it? I love it. It's one of the best pieces you've ever made," Dad said sincerely. "Thank you very much. It can go in my office as well, so people will see it. Amazing!"

His finger stroked over the Inky figure, we'd left Inky at home today, since Grandpa's backyard is not made to keep a panther in, and this was a Muggle neighborhood besides.

"Isn't it the coolest, Dad?" I asked.

"It certainly is."

Presents over with, I then asked what else they would like to do.

"I think we'll just sit and watch TV for a bit, minnow." Grandpa answered. "Because the best present of all is you being here with me." He patted his knee and I came and sat on it.

Lexy came and sat next to Dad at first, but by the time we were watching Monty Python & the Holy Grail, she was sitting in his lap, howling with laughter like the rest of us.

Afterwards we played cards and then we all took a nap and lazed around till it was time to go out for dinner at Lazy Joe's.

It had been a wonderful Father's Day. One of the best I could remember.

 

* * * * * *

 

The rest of the summer seemed to fly by, and before I knew it, it was September and time for school again. All of us had turned eight that year, and we'd all attended each other's birthdays and Dad gave all of us our yearly check-up, including the vaccinations (Ouch!) Mr. and Mrs. Granger also gave us yearly dental exams, mine was fine as usual.

My teacher this year was a Mrs. Underwood, she seemed nice enough, if a bit strict. Once we'd settled in, and begun reviewing all the material we'd learned from last term, she made us learn about strangers again. How we were never to talk to a stranger, or go anywhere with one, tell them where we lived, or take sweets or anything from one. And if one came up to us, we were to walk away and get a teacher or another adult. I knew all that already and so did everybody else, but we listened and took notes from the board like she wanted, it was part of the new Safety First program the school was doing.

It was around two days after that discussion that I noticed a man walking down the sidewalk near the school. That wasn't all that unusual, people walked past the school all the time, but we were playing in the front of the school on the pavement that day, since the back near the field was getting mowed. I had looked up from catching a ball Lexy had thrown to me, we were playing catch-22, a game Alaina had invented where you had to catch a ball 22 times, thrown at you by different people who were trying to catch it as well, and win the game. We were playing with Stevie and Hermione, and so far I was winning.

When I looked up towards the street, I saw a man, kind of medium-sized with sandy hair, watching us. He was dressed in jeans and a light blue shirt, nodded at me, and kept walking past the school. I didn't think anything of it then.

Until I saw him the next day, walking the opposite direction, and the day after that, when we came out for dismissal, he was sitting on one of the benches beside the road, reading a paper. He never came up to me or even waved at me, but I felt like he was watching me.

It made me nervous, but when I went to tell a teacher the next day, the man was gone. A couple days later he returned, but he never stayed by the school for long, and my friends didn't see him at all. He was always gone by the time I turned around to call them.

Two weeks went by and I didn't see him, yet I was always a little nervous when I went out to play in the front playground for recess. I felt as though someone was watching us still, even though every time I looked, no one was there. Yet somehow I could still feel his eyes on me and they made me shiver.

I told Dad about it and he told me to stay close to the school and wear my panther amulet at all times, if the man was innocent, the amulet couldn't hurt, but if he was a Death Eater, the amulet would protect me from him. "Do not, under any circumstances, let him get close to you, Harry. If he starts coming towards you, run away and find a teacher, understand?"

"Yes. I know better than to talk to strangers, Dad."

But I didn't see the man again, though I still looked for him whenever we played on the playground in front. I thought he had gone away, that I had been mistaken, and he really wasn't watching me at all. I told myself I had gotten all scared over nothing, but sometimes I still felt eyes on me. Only whenever I looked around, there was nothing there. I told myself it was just my imagination.

Little did I know, it wasn't.

The End.
End Notes:
I know you're all wondering, who is that suspicious man??

You'll find out in the next chapter!

Next: The identity of the watcher is revealed and something terrible happens.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1553