Growing Pains by Snapegirl
Past Featured StorySummary: The sequel to Never Again!

Things are going well for the Snape family, after the near disasters of the past year, except for a few minor mishaps. But when Harry meets two new Muggleborn witches in his primary school, one of whom has a mother Sev decides to date, Harry must realize that he’s not the only person in his father’s life anymore. And so, like any child, he must go through the sometimes frustrating, occasionally funny, and totally bewildering process of growing up, with help from Tobias, of course.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Hermione, Original Character, Remus, Ron, Sirius, Tobias Snape
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Child fic, Kidnapped
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Physical Punishment Spanking, Profanity, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: Never Again!
Chapters: 27 Completed: Yes Word count: 150554 Read: 144321 Published: 07 May 2008 Updated: 17 Jun 2008
Where Are the Children? by Snapegirl
Author's Notes:
The adults gather to try and discover what happened to their missing children.

Sev's POV.

I had just finished making a batch of Dreamless Sleep Potion and bottled it, when I looked at the clock and realized it was time to get Harry from the bus stop. But when I arrived there, the bus was gone, and there was no sign of my son anywhere. I waited another five or ten minutes, thinking maybe there had been traffic or God forbid, an accident, or the bus had broken down.

But finally I ran out of logical explanations as to why the bus had not arrived and I started to panic. I Apparated back home and called the school, asking if something had happened to the bus, they said no, it had left the school on time. I then wondered if Harry had decided on the spur of the moment to go over Lexy or Hermione's after school, even though he knew he wasn't supposed to do that without asking first.

So I telephoned Alaina, she would be home now, and when she answered, I asked, "Alaina, is Harry with you? He never came home on the bus today."

"No, Sev. I was just going to call you. Lexy's not home either. The bus driver said she never got on the bus after school. And neither did Hermione, because they both get off at my stop. Sev, do you think they missed the bus and are still at school?"

"Yes, that's probably where they are," I said. "I can Apparate over and see." I offered quickly.

"But why didn't they call and tell us where they were?" Alaina asked. She sounded both annoyed and concerned at the same time.

"I don't know. But I'll be sure to ask them when I see them. Goodbye, Alaina."

After I hung up, I Apparated directly into the back playground of the primary school, that being the part of the school that was hidden from the street and any curious passerby. But when I went to search through the school, I didn't see any children there, they should've been waiting outside or something, but there was no sign of any of them.

A sick feeling began to curdle in my stomach.

If the children weren't at the school, then where had they gone?

They were missing, I thought, feeling another wave of panic engulf me. And I feared the worst, that an associate of Lucius's or a lower echelon member of the Death Eaters had kidnapped my son and his friends. My first instinct was to cast a locator spell, which I did after making sure no Muggles were in sight.

"Point me Harry Potter." I whispered, putting all of my will behind the casting.

It should have responded instantly, but instead the spell took a good ten minutes to activate, and then it only gave me a vague direction of north and west and nothing more. Frowning, I recast, and this time got an even fainter probe than before.

Bloody hell, it's being blocked! I swore furiously. Which means that whoever took the children is a wizard.

Icy darts of fear were stabbing me all along my spine. Death Eaters were not known for mercy or compassion and if they had my son and his friends . . .but if they had Harry, how had they managed to circumvent the protective spells I'd woven about the amulet he wore? I was an expert at protection spells, I'd had to be in order to ward myself for all those years, and the ones I'd cast on the panther amulet were my strongest ones. No dark wizard should've been able to get with ten feet of my son.

But I couldn't deny that the locator spell was being blocked. I tried once more and got the same results before returning to my home to call Alaina and give her the bad news. But before I did that, I went into Harry's room to see if he'd left anything behind, like his amulet. Sure enough, there was the amulet on his dresser.

"Goddamn it, Harry!" I growled. "Of all the bloody times to be absentminded."

I picked up the amulet and slipped it into a pocket of my trousers. Then I Apparated to Alaina's house.

She was pale and shaken, her brown eyes filled with anxiety and more than a little panic. "Where are they, Severus? You didn't find them? Dear God in heaven, where are our children?"

Her voice rose on that last note into a high-pitched wail of hysteria and I quickly moved to put my arms about her and hug her. "Alaina, don't get hysterical. We'll find them, I swear it on all I hold dear." I murmured into her ear.

She pressed against me, trembling from head to foot, breathing in quick gasps. "I was . . .hoping they were there at the school, waiting for one of us to come and get them. But if they aren't there . . .Sev, what could've happened to them?"

I hesitated before I told her my theory. She nearly went to pieces then, shivering violently and sobbing. I couldn't blame her, for I was on the verge of a major panic attack myself. I could feel my chest begin to tighten and I had to force myself to take three deep breaths and then focus on my poor girlfriend. "Alaina, honey . . .shh . . .we'll find them . . .I promise you by God and all the angels and Merlin's staff . . .they can't block locator spells forever and the Aurors have even better methods of tracking people. Hush, love. Hush." I stroked her hair and her back, over and over, letting her cry away her terror and panic into my shoulder. I wished like hell I could do the same, but I knew I had to hold myself together, I couldn't fall apart now, that wouldn't help anything.

After several long minutes, she stopped crying and drew away. "Sorry . . .but it's my worst nightmare, my daughter gone missing."

"It's every parent's," I said. "Have you told the Grangers yet?"

She shook her head, dabbing at her eyes with a tissue. "No. I was waiting for you to return from the school, praying they were still there. I guess I ought to do that now."

"Yes. And I'll be calling Sirius, Remus, and Albus," I said grimly, then withdrew my mirror from the pocket of my robes and called, "Remus Lupin's office, please!"

All of my friends had duplicates of my mirror, so I could contact them wherever I was in case of an emergency.

An instant later, my mirror glowed with silvery light and Remus's face appeared. "Severus? What's going on? You never use my mirror unless something's really wrong."

I bit my lip to keep from bursting out into hysterical laughter. Stop it, Snape! You cannot indulge in these damn crazy emotions right now. Keep it together. "Remus, Harry's gone missing. Along with Lexy and Hermione. I think the Death Eaters have them." 

"How long have they been missing, Sev?" 

I checked my watch. "About an hour-and-a-half to two hours, near as I can tell. They never came home from school, we thought they'd missed the bus. But when I went to pick them up, they were gone, and when I tried to use a Four Points spell, it was blocked."

Remus frowned. "Concealment charms and misdirection jinxes, no doubt. Which means the suspect's a wizard."

"A Death Eater," I said flatly.

"Mmm . . .Most likely. Have you received any letters yet?"

I shook my head no. "Letters? As in a ransom note?"

"Yes."

"No. Should I watch for one?"

"Yes. Let me go and call Sirius, he was running a DADA class for our latest batch of recruits. We'll be right over after it, all right?"

"I'll see you then, Moony."

By the time I was done speaking to Remus, Alaina was also off the phone.

I told her what Remus had said, and then I asked, "The Grangers, how are they taking it?"

"About how you'd expect. They're very upset and scared. Jane wanted to call the Muggle police, but I told her this was a job for the Aurors. They're coming over here and I'll drive us to your place."

"Good idea. My house and property is warded, so we'll be safe there. I'll meet you back there, blackbird." I hugged her close, kissed her gently, then I stepped away and Disapparated.

Once I was home, I firecalled Albus, who was in a board meeting, or so the portrait of former Headmaster Phineas Nigellus told me. I'd have to try him again later.

Then I called my father, striving to keep my tone even, and as soon as he heard, he said he'd be right over and hung up before I could offer to Apparate him. Spinners End was only fifteen minutes away and both Tobias and Alaina had the wards keyed to them so they could enter Aspen Avenue.

Now all I had to do was wait for them to arrive. I forced myself to take a seat on the couch, rubbing my throbbing temples with my fingers, trying desperately to stave off the migraine I was courting. I summoned a Headache Remedy and gulped it down, grimacing slightly at the bitter taste, but it was better than enduring a full-blown migraine.

Inky rose form where he'd been lying beside the hearth and sprang up onto the couch, peering at me worriedly, and giving a questioning sort of mew, he could sense I was very upset.

"Those bloody Death Eaters have Harry, Inky, and we need to get him back before they . . ." I couldn't finish that sentence, my throat closed up, as I imagined all of the horrid things they could be doing to my precious little boy.

I found myself clutching Inky to me and burying my face in his fur, tears spilling unchecked down my cheeks into his ebony pelt.

He was far too big to fit in my lap now, but he draped himself across my knees and put his head on my shoulder, making a strange huff-huff and purring noise that I supposed was a panther's way of comforting a distressed pride mate.

I allowed myself the release of tears for only a moment, since I needed to be able to function rationally when the others arrived, and not prostrate on the couch weeping like a two-year-old. Then I sat up and wiped my eyes and tried unsuccessfully, to maneuver Inky off my lap.

But the panther refused to budge. He had both paws about me now and inbetween his purring he began to lick my face.

"Ugh! Inky, stop! You're going to take the skin off me with your blasted tongue!" I gasped, shoving his face away.

The panther gave me an injured look, then stopped licking me, to my vast relief.

Inky was a very bright animal, he understood nearly everything I said, for he was no ordinary panther, however much he resembled one. His extraordinary intelligence was but one thing that set him apart, and I had no doubt he would display other abilities as well, given time.

I scratched behind his ears, and he lay down with his head in my lap, his brilliant peridot eyes slitting in pleasure, a rumbling purr vibrating through his chest.

He didn't even blink when Remus and Sirius came through the fireplace via the Floo.

"Sev, what the hell happened?" Sirius demanded, looking quite alarmed.

"The bastards took the kids from the school, i think, and my locator charm doesn't work, so I can't track them." I answered softly. "Merlin only knows what's being done to them." I heard the involuntary quiver in my voice and bit my lip hard. Steady, Snape. Don't fall apart now. Not yet.

"Sev, take it easy. We'll find Harry and the girls, don't worry," Sirius said, coming over to grip my shoulder comfortingly.

I swallowed hard, for I felt ill, though I was fighting that too. "But will you be in time?" I asked harshly. "I refuse to bury another member of my family, Black, d'you hear me?" I could feel my nerves stretching to the breaking point.

"Severus, I don't think they'd kill Harry. Or the girls," said Sirius sharply, bringing me back to myself with a start. "They're worth more alive, to use as a bargaining chip. You know what they want from you."

"Besides my head on a platter?" I inquired sarcastically. My mouth twisted into a bitter scowl. "Yes, I know . . .they want the formula for the Null Magic Draft. And they'll make me an offer I can't refuse, Padfoot. My son for the formula."

Remus nodded gravely. "That was our conclusion too. But hopefully we can spring the kids before it comes to that."

"Can you break the concealment charm?"

"We'll try, though it's stronger than any I've ever come up against, including those set up by Voldy's inner circle," Remus admitted, scowling blackly. "But every spell has a counter save one, and we'll break it eventually. We'll bring them all home safe, Sev, I swear wizard's oath on it. No one ‘s dying, unless it's the dark wizards who dared to abduct my nephew." Remus's eyes glittered and shifted suddenly from a warm brown to an eerie yellow as the werewolf nature emerged.

For once the shift didn't raise the hairs on the back of my neck, the way it usually did. Inky lifted his head and gave a soft growl, but it was not directed at the werewolf, more in acknowledgment of his anger, I think. This once, I was grateful for Moony's double nature, for those who could harm a werewolf were few and far between, and he made a deadly enemy.

"We'll hunt them down and teach them what it means to mess with one of our own," Sirius added heatedly, his face set and hard, the merry brown eyes turned fierce. In his own way, he was as dangerous as Remus, he too had gone up against Voldy's inner circle and lived to tell of it. Sirius had killed Bellatrix Lestrange, one of the worst psychopathic murderers ever to wield a wand.

They're the best of the best, Severus, I reminded myself sharply. Trust them.

I did, with my life. But the life of my only child, my beloved son . . .I was terrified something would go wrong and I would weep over yet another mound of earth, and mourn the loss of yet another whom I had loved, the way I did Lily and my mother.

Just then Alaina arrived with the Grangers and not five minutes later, so did my father. My girlfriend and the Grangers looked as bad as I felt, pale and drawn with fatigue and stress, red-rimmed eyes, and hands that shook with involuntary nervous tremors. I wished then I had some kind of strong spirits in the house, brandy, firewhiskey, even vodka, but I kept no alcohol in my home ever.

"Jane. Wally." I said quietly, trying to convey my sympathy and understanding with a look, rather than articulate it, for words were too awkward just then.

They looked back at me and nodded, acknowledging my look with one of their own.

"Have you heard anything, Severus?" asked Alaina.

"No. But it may be too early for the kidnappers to send a note yet." I gestured for them to be seated on the smaller sofa and the recliner, since Inky was hogging half the couch.

Jane and Wally took the sofa, and Jane wrapped her arms about herself and looked as if she were going to start howling any minute. Wally just sat there, his eyes dull, stunned by the tragedy that had befallen him. Alaina sat in the recliner, her face drawn and still, only her brown eyes betraying her inner battle.

Dad walked over to the couch where I was and said, "Inky, move over, you oversized lap cat." He gave the panther a nudge with a hand, and the cat opened his eyes, yawned, and glanced at him.

Dad locked eyes with him and gestured, and Inky curled up into a ball so Dad could sit down. As he did so, I noticed the telltale bulge beneath his jacket that meant he was armed.

To my surprise, he reached over Inky's bulk and clasped my arm for a moment, giving me a comforting squeeze. He didn't say anything, but in his own way he was letting me know that he was there if I needed him. He patted my shoulder briefly before placing his hand back in his lap.

For the first time ever, I felt safe and protected, and his presence was a comfort, and I reveled in it like a little child, for this was how I should have felt, all those years ago. This was the strong sergeant, not the tyrant, and it was he whom I could rely on to help me bear the dark time ahead.

"I can't believe this is actually happening," Jane was saying, her voice quivering. "I keep thinking it's just a bad dream and I'll wake up soon and Mione will be safe in her bed. We never had to worry about kidnappers or crazy wizard terrorists in Surrey. How could this be happening?"

Waly said nothing, just gripped his wife's hand, his mouth set and grim.

"Wondering how or why it happened is a waste of time," Dad said bluntly, his dark blue gaze fastening on Jane sternly, as if she were a new recruit with an inappropriate question. "We have to face facts. The kids are missing, who knows how or why, but the important thing isn't how it was done, but what we're going to do about it." He swivelled his head to face the two Aurors, who were leaning against the fireplace. "You're the law, what's procedure in this case?"

"We'll keep trying to crack the concealment charm they've got over them," Sirius replied. "But other than that, we can't do anything except wait for them to make the next move. They're sure to contact one of us soon."

"WAIT!" shouted Jane, panic edging her voice. "How can you even suggest such a thing? They could be doing God knows what to my baby, Sirius . . .pulling out her toenails, or breaking all her fingers, or whipping her, or . . .or . . .anything . . .and you want me to just sit here and . . .wait to hear from the sons-of-bitches? I can't do that! I just . . .CAN'T!" She began to tremble violently, her whole body shaking with giant sobs.

Wally reached for her, holding her to him, patting her back and whispering, "Hush, Janie . . .hush . . .they know what they're doing . . . they'll bring our girl home . . ."

"I can't take this damn waiting, Wally!" she howled. "I want something done now!"

"Stop it, Jane!" Dad ordered, his voice sharp as a whipcrack. Jane froze at that tone, as did the rest of us. "Getting hysterical won't do you or Hermione a damn bit of good. Now pull yourself together, got me? You're giving the damn bastards just what they want, don't you see? They want you to panic, to go off the deep end, so they can control you, and make you give them anything they ask for. Don't let them push your buttons, Janie. Hermione needs an Amazon now, not a wailing whimpering woman."

Jane flinched at his tone, then she turned about and glared at him. "They've got your grandson, Toby Snape, how can you be so bloody calm?"

"Because screaming and putting my fist through a wall won't bring Harry home safe. Only careful planning will do that," answered my father. "I have to be able to think with my head, not react with my heart. And I'm thinking that whoever has those kids wants something from us. Sirius is right, they'll be contacting us soon and then we can plan our next move."

I knew Dad was right, but I suddenly couldn't bear sitting still any longer. "I think we could all use a good cup of tea." I said, and shoved Inky's head away, rising to my feet.

Once in the kitchen, I put the kettle on to boil and then summoned a vial of Calming Draft and poured a little into each of our cups, God knew we could all use some. When the tea was ready I poured it into each mug and served it with a little sugar to everyone.

Fifteen minutes later we were all soothed and sleepy by the potion, content now to wait for the kidnappers to make their move.

Sirius and Remus had managed to contact Albus and soon he joined us and was currently trying to break the concealment ward our foes had put up. Head lowered in concentration, a blue nimbus surrounded him, and we all waited hopefully.

I had always thought there was no spell my mentor couldn't cast or circumvent, but this one was proving to be a bloody bitch to counter.

But Albus came out of the trance shaking his head ruefully. "I cannot penetrate it that way, and so I must try a different approach. Sirius and Remus, would you care to assist me?"

Both Aurors and the Headmaster worked for hours trying to penetrate the web that prevented any locator spell from finding the children's magical signatures. At last they called a halt, for all were exhausted, frustrated, and they needed a break.

"We've penetrated the topmost strands of the wizard web," Albus explained after they had emerged from my workroom, which was shielded from outside influences. "But it is many layers thick, the one who wove it has done such before, from the tightness and precision of the construct. But his signature is not one I recognize, which suggests to me that he is a foreign wizard. Not that it makes a difference, we shall break through eventually. But for now, we all need a good night's sleep." He turned to me. "Severus, I shall see you tomorrow. These old bones of mine aren't what they used to be, I fear."

He stretched gingerly, then Flooed back to Hogwarts. Alaina drove the Grangers home, promising to return afterwards, Sirius and Remus fell asleep in Harry's room, transfiguring the bed into two twin ones.

That left me alone with my father, who eyed me in concern and said softly, "Sev, you look like hell."

"I feel like hell," I answered honestly. I rubbed the back of my hand across my eyes. I was tired, but I didn't think I could sleep unless I dosed myself with a Dreamless Sleep Potion. I felt worse than I did after spending seventy-two hours straight on call. "I can't help thinking that this is all my fault," I said, half to myself, not really intending to speak those thoughts aloud.

"What? Severus, don't be an idiot! How can this be your fault?"

"Simple. The Death Eaters want me dead because of the part I played in Voldemort's death. And if they can't kill me, they'll go after anyone close to me, like Harry. They also want the formula for the Null Magic Draft I made that inhibited Riddle's powers, and now they can use Harry to get it from me."

"Maybe so, but then why target Mione and Lexy also?"

"Because they were there. Because they hate Muggleborns. What difference does it make now, Dad? They're in trouble and it's because of my damn potion."

"Severus, stop beating yourself up like this," my father ordered, but his tone was gentler than the one he'd used on Jane. "Guilt never rescued anybody. You're not to blame for this-they are. Their need for revenge or whatever brought them to this, not you. Now quit torturing yourself and go to bed, you're out on your feet."

I sighed. "I'll try."

"Good. Now why don't you go to bed? I'll spend the night here on the couch, that way I won't have to drive back here in the morning."

I hesitated, reluctant to admit that I was exhausted, yet too stubborn to take a potion to ensure I slept without dreams. "Fine with me. But I don't think I can sleep right now."

"Sure you can, son. I guarantee you'll be out like a light as soon as your head hits the pillow." Dad urged. "Go on, Sev, go to bed. Sleep will put things in perspective." He took my arm and pulled on it. "Severus, get to bed, for the love of God. You're a bit too big for me to carry there and tuck you in, boy."

I felt myself flush and thanked Merlin none of my friends were awake to hear him scolding me like I was Harry's age. "All right, all right. Bloody damn drill sergeant!" I growled, and rose to my feet. Then I remembered Alaina was coming back here. "Alaina, she's staying here too. I forgot, where is she going to sleep?"

"With you, where else?" my father drawled knowingly.

I turned and headed into my room without another word, not wanting him to see me blush red as a damn schoolboy at his insinuation. It was not accurate, but I was still embarrassed, I had never discussed the intimate aspects of any relationship with him before and I didn't intend to start tonight.

I swiftly undressed and pulled on my standard flannel pants and a very lightweight T-shirt. It was unseasonably warm for mid-October and I didn't want to sweat to death. Then I summoned a small vial of Dreamless Sleep and left it on the nightstand. I wouldn't take it just yet.

I yawned and crawled into bed, hovering inbetween consciousness and dreams. I must have dozed off, because the next thing I knew was a warm body pressed up against me, and I turned over and pulled a half-asleep Alaina into my embrace, tucking her head beneath my chin.

"Love you, blackbird," I murmured roughly. "So much."

"I know. Sleep, Sev," she whispered into my chest.

I obeyed without argument, falling asleep as if under an enchantment, and sleeping peacefully until the dawn, when I was awakened by the insistent ringing of Alaina's cell phone.

"Huh?" she groaned sleepily, rolling over and groping for the annoying device, which was playing some insanely upbeat tune that set my teeth on edge. "It's only six in the morning. Who the hell's calling at this hour?"

She picked up the phone. "Hello?"

Then she went white. "Oh. . .my . . .God!" she hissed, sitting up and wrapping the blanket about her. "You . . .you son-of-a-bitch! I should have known! Where is she, bastard! What've you done with her, Daniel?"

Daniel? Now I was wide awake as well, and hanging on her every word.

"You've no right to demand that of me! The courts ruled against you, you miserable-!" she swore roundly into the phone for several minutes, and I raised an eyebrow in appreciation. I hadn't known kindergarten teachers could swear so creatively. "Bring her back, Dan! And the others too, you had no right to take them, you scumbag! And if you've harmed one hair on her head, Daniel Wade Chase, I'll tear you into pieces and feed you to wild boars, got me? You aren't the only one with powerful friends any more, and if you don't give us back our children, we'll find you and kick your ass right to hell! I'll give you custody when demons dance in heaven!" Then she hung up, slamming the phone down so hard on the mattress that it bounced and fell onto the floor.

She turned to me, her eyes shimmering with fury and fear. "That was my ex-husband, calling to tell me he has Lexy and Harry and Mione. He says for now they're safe, but unless I agree to give him custody of Lexy, he'll keep them in bondage forever, or sell them to . . .to . . . an exotic procurer. You know what that means?"

"Yes, Alaina. I know," I answered, my own blood boiling. "And any who could give a child willingly to such a fate . . .deserves to be roasted over a slow fire."

"He said, we should be getting letters momentarily, and further instructions will be in them. I so felt like telling him to shove his instructions up his ass where the sun don't shine." Alaina snapped.

"Did he mention anything about a wizard working with him?"

"Not in so many words. He just hinted that he has some new powerful friends and if I knew what was good for me, I'd do what he said, or else!" she retorted angrily. "If I had a gun, I'd blow his F-ing head off and serve jail time gladly."

"You'd need to stand in line, sweetheart. Because I get first shot and then Dad would be next and Sirius and Remus afterwards and I don't know if there would be enough of the sodding bastard left over to spit on." I threw off my covers and summoned a set of clothes to me.

That single phone call changed everything.

I dressed quickly in the master bathroom, eager to inform Tobias and my friends of this latest discovery.

The End.
End Notes:
I just finished this one, so please excuse any errors! Thanks!

Next: Dan doesn't take Alaina's response to his request well at all, resulting in more trouble for the kids!


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1553