The Heir to Prince Manor by Snapegirl, DaughterOfAres
Summary: When Harry wakes one morning, he discovers a badly injured Snape in his living room, and tries to hide him. But Petunia discovers them and reveals a secret she has kept for thirteen years--one that will change the course of Harry's life forever, and Severus's as well. AU, pre-GOF.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dudley, Dumbledore, Original Character, Petunia, Vernon
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Kidnapped, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 4th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Alcohol Use, Character Death, Physical Punishment Spanking, Profanity, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: Prince Manor
Chapters: 35 Completed: Yes Word count: 187078 Read: 390981 Published: 15 May 2008 Updated: 19 Aug 2008
Spirited Away by Snapegirl
Author's Notes:
Harry returns to Privet Drive, Severus kidnaps him, and spirits him away to Prince Manor.

Severus paced angrily from one end of his quarters in Grimmauld Place to the other. There were times, like now, that he wished he didn't have such iron control over his temper, so he could unleash it upon his mentor for being such a meddling grandiose fool. He was still furious over Dumbledore's decision to return Harry to the Dursleys, after all they had revealed to him. Severus knew Albus was not blind, nor was he stupid, so the man had no excuse for sending the boy there, save to further some grand scheme. The Potions Master knew that Albus looked upon the fourteen-year-old as a savior, the one born to free them from the shadow of Voldemort, as per the half-baked prophecy spouted by that unreliable Seer Sybil Trelawney when she was in her cups at The Hog's Head.

Severus did not put much stake in prophecies, they could be interpreted many ways, and Trelawney had always been a third-rate Seer at best, for all her lineage and her posturing. He preferred to make his own destiny and pinning all their hopes upon one young boy seemed, to him at least, to be the height of folly. Voldemort had not come to power alone, he would not be vanquished alone. Wars were won by strategy and sacrifice, by adults, not children forced to grow into adults. This was not the long ago age of heroes, the way Dumbledore seemed to think.

He had informed Albus of his cover being destroyed and had told him that he would need to find another way to spy upon the Death Eaters, for he, Severus Snape, was done with being his secret agent. He had agreed to remain on as Potions Master for the time being, until another opportunity presented itself, and he was still a willing member of the Order, because he detested Riddle and all that he stood for and would willingly see him roasted over a slow fire and ripped to shreds by harpies.

But his first concern at the moment was Harry, though he could not voice that concern aloud, nor even hint at the fact that he felt sorry for Potter's welfare without arousing the suspicion of the old wizard. He had to wait, at least two days, before going to spirit Harry from the Dursleys, so Albus would not suspect anything amiss. He had told his mentor that after two days he would be seeking refuge from the Death Eaters in an unknown location, to return only when the new term had started. Until then, though he would have to wait and to plan. He knew already where he would take Harry, it was the one place where they could be safe from any enemy and even the farseeing eyes of Dumbledore could not penetrate the protections upon this place. No one could set foot upon the land who was not bound by blood, or find it at all unless they knew the spell and held the key.

Severus held up the amulet he always wore hidden beneath his shirt, and smiled. Soon, my son, I shall come for you, and then you will at last know the peace you deserve, and have the chance to be a child and not some boy hero, savior of the bloody world. Just be patient for a few days, Harry. Then he quit pacing and settled down in his recliner, perusing a copy of Potions Weekly.

Later that evening he entered the library, to do some research on the Glamour Charm that Lily had cast upon his son, so he could restore Harry to his true appearance. That would keep him occupied for two days.

* * * * * *

Meanwhile, Harry had arrived at the Dursleys, escorted by Dumbledore, and had refused the old wizard's offer to accompany Harry inside and speak with his relatives. Merlin help him if Albus ever discovered the fact that Snape was his father. "I'll be okay, sir," he'd told the old man quickly. "The spell you put on me will protect me, and like you said, it's only for a month."

"That's the spirit, Harry!" Dumbledore clapped him on the back and said jovially, "I shall see you next term at the feast, my boy. Stay out of trouble till then."

Harry waited until Dumbledore had vanished before going to the door and knocking on it sharply. The car was not in the drive, so perhaps Vernon was not at home. He shifted Hedwig's cage in one hand, wishing the Headmaster had though to put a working on the owl as well. He made a quick decision. Hedwig had to be free to carry messages, so he released her from the cage and told her to fly somewhere nearby that was safe. He quickly stashed the cage beneath a bush near the porch, he could always retrieve it later.

Then he knocked on the door again.

It was yanked open by a puffing Vernon, who nearly fell backwards when he saw who was at the door. "YOU! What the bloody hell are you doing back here? Will I never be free of you, you freaky little bastard?" His face grew very red beneath his mustache.

"The Headmaster said I have to stay here for the time being, Uncle," Harry said shortly.

"What about your bloody father-that black-robed sadistic beast? Where's he?"

"He's not here, but he will be soon," Harry said quickly.

At that, Vernon looked alarmed, he had learned to be wary and to fear the wrath of the Potions Master during the past week. When Petunia had informed him that Snape and Harry had left that morning, Vernon was quick to heave a sigh of relief, then start yelling at his wife for ever harboring such in his home.

To his surprise, Petunia had turned a deaf ear to his ranting, instead telling him that she was going shopping, and Vernon should make sure Dudley was out of bed and doing some chores about the yard while she was gone. Vernon had agreed, and as soon as Petunia had left, went to drag his son out of bed.

But no sooner had he managed to get Dudley awake, then the doorbell had rung, and upon answering the door, discovered not a package, but his nephew standing on the porch. Vernon thought he was dreaming at first, but no here was the brat, his worst nightmare returned.

"What happened, boy? Did your father tire of your scheming lazy ways and kick you out?" sneered Vernon.

"No." Harry glared at him. "May I come in? The neighbors are staring."

Vernon stepped aside, letting Harry in, for he wanted no gossip about his family. "Get in, boy!" He went to grab Harry by the arm to yank him inside, but for some reason his hand glanced away. Harry walked inside and Vernon slammed the door shut.

Then he turned on his nephew, his pig-like eyes blazing with temper, slitted beneath his rolls of fat. "This is all your doing, boy! Before you came my household was normal, not infiltrated by freaky people who think they have the right to dictate to me how I should behave in my own house. Well, no more! If you're going to live here again, you'll obey my rules, boy! And the number one rule is-get your freaky carcass out of my sight until I call you to do something!"

He made as if to shove Harry up the stairs, but once again his hand slid away and Harry was untouched. Vernon glanced at his hand in puzzlement. "Freaks!" He glared hard at Harry. "Get up there, boy! Don't make me repeat myself."

Harry hid a grin, then obeyed. Vernon followed, making sure Harry went into his bedroom. To the boy's dismay, he heard the sound of a key turning in the lock. Vernon had locked him in the bedroom. Harry could only hope that when Petunia returned, she would let him out. Until then, he set his trunk down on the floor and resolved to take a brief nap.

When he awakened some thirty minutes later, he found Petunia standing over him, her blue eyes wide with surprise. "Harry, why are you here? Has something happened to Severus?"

"No, but my Headmaster refused to let me stay with him," answered her nephew bitterly. "He insisted I return here for the rest of the summer. But my father refuses to accept that and he promised me he would come for me when he could."

"Good. For now, though, I think it best if you keep out of Vernon's way as much as possible. He . . .is not very happy that you are back."

Harry snorted. "Why am I not surprised? I'm not jumping for joy either, Aunt Petunia. Am I allowed out of here, or am I to be locked in here like I was in my cupboard?"

"No. You may leave your room, I will not keep you prisoner, Harry. Simply stay out of your uncle's way, you know what he's like in a temper."

Harry nodded. Yes, he knew the way his uncle was in a temper. He had reaped the results of Vernon's bad moods more than once. True, he was protected from Vernon harming him physically, but that would not keep the man from harming him in other ways.

"Very well, then. I need to go and put away the groceries and start dinner. Have you seen Dudley about? He was supposed to be vacuuming the living room."

"No, Aunt Petunia. I've been in here nearly all afternoon." Harry said.

Petunia scowled. "Lazy child! Severus was right, a few chores never did anyone any harm, and it's high time he started doing his share around here."

Harry felt as if he were about to fall over. It appeared as if Vernon weren't the only one to have changed. Petunia seemed like a different person.

"Go and find him for me, Harry. Tell him I want to see him right away and then you may do as you will."

"Yes, Aunt Petunia," Harry replied automatically.

She departed then, and Harry stood up and went down the hall to Dudley's room. Knowing his cousin, Harry figured he'd still be sleeping.

Sure enough, he found the tub of lard still snoozing, snoring like a pig in a wallow. He bent and shook Dudley sharply. "Hey, Dudley! Wake up! Your mum wants you."

Dudley snored louder.

"Dudley!" Harry yelled right in his ear. "Wake up! Now!"

Dudley groaned loudly and stirred, opening his eyes and staring at his cousin blearily. "Huh? Harry?" He rubbed his eyes. Harry still remained there, staring down at him. "How did you get here?"

Harry did not bother to answer, instead saying only, "Your mother wants you, so better get your arse up and go downstairs."

Dudley sat up, a scowl creeping over his pudgy features. "Oh yeah? Don't know what the hell's gotten into her. Ever since that damn bat from hell came here and made me and Dad into your bloody servants, she got the idea that it was all right to make me do all your chores around here. She had me weeding the garden yesterday! And then she wanted me to help her set the table. That's woman's work!" His cousin cried. "But when I told her that she said either I helped or I could be grounded and I told her I was telling Dad and she grabbed me by the ear and shoved me in the corner and said that Dad wasn't the only one making the rules around here any more. And when I tried to leave, she . . .she smacked my bum with a bloody wooden spoon!"

Harry couldn't help it. He burst out laughing. His cousin sounded so much like a whiny eight-year-old, complaining about a well-deserved punishment.

Dudley glared at him furiously. "What's the big idea, Harry? Y' think it's funny, do you? I'll wager y' won't be laughing when I tell Dad you were making fun of me."

"Isn't that just like you, you big baby?" Harry sneered. "Running and telling daddy for every little thing."

"Well, at least I have a dad who wants me. Looks like yours got sick and tired of you real quick and dumped you back here. Figures. You're so freaky, not even your own father wants to be around you." Dudley laughed cruelly.

"That's not true!" Harry shouted, Dudley's words had struck a sore spot, for he'd been afraid that Snape would break his promise and leave him with the Dursleys as Dumbledore wished. "Shut up, Dudley! At least my dad is a real man and not a nasty child beater."

"Don't you talk that way about my dad!" shouted Dudley. Then he got up, fists swinging.

Harry ducked the first punch, then abruptly he was angry too, and started to fight back. He was sick and tired of Dudley's lazy attitude, thinking he could start something and Harry would just sit there and take it. Maybe once that had been true, but it wasn't any longer.

His fist glanced off the side of his cousin's cheek.

Dudley yelped, then charged his smaller cousin, trying to knock him down. But Harry was too quick, and avoided Dudley's rush. He stuck out a foot and tripped him and Dudley landed on the floor with a loud thud.

"Oh, how the mighty Big D has fallen!" mocked Harry, for his cousin resembled a beached whale, sprawled on the floor in his blue and white striped pajamas.

Dudley got to his feet and lunged at Harry.

Soon they were rolling on the floor, punching, kicking, and gouging, like two angry wildcats. Harry had never really fought back against his cousin before, he had been too afraid of getting beaten by Vernon to give some of his own back. But now he need no longer fear Vernon's belt, he gave as good as he got, and then some.

Harry's fist connected with Dudley's eye and nose, and the bigger boy yelped and slammed his cousin into the floor hard. Harry saw stars. But then he brought up his knees in a move Ron had shown him, who'd survived plenty of fights with his older brothers, and kicked his cousin in the stomach.

"Oof!" gasped Dudley, and rolled away from Harry, groaning. "Bugger you, you worthless freak!"

"Better a freak than a spoiled brat! Why don't you listen to your mum?"

"Why don't you go back where you belong, Potter? To the gutter, with your whore of a mother."

"Don't you talk like that about my mother!" Harry shrieked and threw himself on top of Dudley, pummeling the other boy hard. Dudley yelped and curled up in a ball. But before Harry could do anything else, Petunia had caught both him and Dudley by the ear and hauled them upright.

"What in God's name is going on here?" she demanded. "Can't you ever learn how to get along, or must you bloody kill each other?

Harry hung his head, feeling ashamed. Not Dudley.

"Oww! Mother, quit it! Harry started it!"

"Liar! You threw the first punch."

"Enough!" Petunia ordered briskly. "Harry, go to your room, and wait for me to come to you. You'll eat supper there tonight." Then she turned to peer at Dudley. "Come downstairs and help me put away the remaining groceries. Then you can go and stand in the corner for twenty minutes for fighting."

Dudley remained where he was. "No! I'm not going downstairs and . . .and you can't make me!"

Petunia's eyes narrowed. "We'll see about that, you wretched brat!" she snapped, then she grabbed the spoon out of her apron pocket and swatted him hard on the rear.

Dudley yelped and put a hand on his bottom. "Oww! Okay Mum, I'll go downstairs."

"March, young man," ordered his mother. "That goes for you too, Harry."

Harry obeyed, not wanting to test his aunt's resolve, he was already sore from fighting with Dudley. He made his way back to his bedroom and sat on the bed, wondering what else his aunt was going to do to him for fighting with Dudley.

Fifteen minutes later, Petunia returned. "Now, tell me why you were fighting, Harry. Dudley claims you started it."

"I didn't. I went to wake him up like you said and he called me a freak that not even my own father wanted and my mum a . . .a whore." Harry informed her, for once able to tell his side of the story without having to worry about being beaten for lying.

Petunia went pale. "He didn't! My sister . . . a whore? He will apologize for that." Then she added sternly, "But you know better than to fight like two dogs over scraps on the rubbish heap, young man! You may stay up here and think about your atrocious behavior until supper and be glad you're even getting it, mister, because by rights I ought to send you to bed without it."

"Yes, Aunt Petunia. I'm sorry," he apologized, knowing she was right.

"Then you can clear the table and go straight to bed, no TV tonight for either of you." Her lips pursed, she turned on her heel and went back downstairs.

Two minutes later he heard Petunia scolding Dudley, Dudley whining, then the sound of a spoon connecting with flesh, and his cousin yelping and promising he'd be good. Harry winced, then thought with a flash of satisfaction, About time, the brat got what he deserved!

Three minutes later, Dudley came in, rubbing his rear end and sulking. "I'm sorry for calling your mum a whore and your dad a freak." 

Harry nodded. "Apology accepted."

Dudley left then and Harry sat and flipped through the pages of a Quidditch book, until Petunia came in with a tray and told him to eat dinner., before it got cold. Harry quickly sat down at the desk and began to eat hungrily.

He hoped Snape would come for him soon, although he liked the way Petunia was behaving now. Still, he wanted to leave and go somewhere else, anywhere else, so long as his father were there. His father. Since when had he started thinking of Snape as his father and not just his professor?

A moment later, he had his answer. Snape had become more than his professor the moment he had stood up for Harry against Dumbledore. Now it only remained to be seen if Snape would indeed keep his word. Thus far, he had not played games with Harry like the Headmaster, but Harry was still unsure if he could trust the Potions Master totally. He had trusted Dumbledore once and look what had happened.

* * * * * *

 

The next day was nearly a repeat of the previous one, except that Harry did not quarrel with Dudley, and he did his best to avoid Vernon, who shot him evil looks whenever he chanced to pass his nephew in the hall on the way to the bathroom or the kitchen. Harry stayed in his room mostly, and that night he fell asleep and dreamed that a dark specter was reaching out to grab him by the throat with skeletal hands.

He woke with a gasp, and in the half-light of a small nightlight, found a tall black figure hovering over him, one hand reaching out to clamp over his mouth.

Harry's green eyes widened in panic and all he could think of was that it was a dementor come out of his dreams to suck out his soul. But then the figure pushed his glasses on his head and Harry could see that it was no phantom specter, but Severus.

"Hush, boy. I came as quickly as I could. Are you all packed and ready to leave?"

Harry nodded mutely, and Severus removed the palm of his hand from Harry's mouth. "I just need to get Hedwig, she's outside, and then I'm all set."

"Good. But I would suggest you put some clothes on first, Mr. Potter," said Snape with a faintly wry tone.

Harry blushed. "Uh, right. Umm . . .d' you mind turning around, sir?"

Severus did so, snorting softly in what his son was almost certain was amusement.

Harry dressed quickly, then went to the window and called Hedwig, who was roosting in the big oak tree in the front yard. She flew to his shoulder immediately.

"Okay, sir. I'm ready," Harry began, watching as Severus waved his wand over his trunk and shrank it. "Where are we . . .?"

"You'll see when we get there," Severus interrupted. Then he took his son by the arm and Apparated, spiriting the boy away in the dead of night while his aunt, uncle, and cousin slept. It was, without a doubt, the easiest kidnapping in history.

The two wizards arrived moments later at an empty stretch of moorland somewhere in North Yorkshire. The desolate country was bare of any civilized habitation, bleak and gray and cheerless. A white mist was rising from the ground and curling about Harry's ankles like a ghostly cat twining its tail inbetween his feet. It covered the entire way before them, thick and impenetrable, unlike any mist he'd ever seen before.

Harry opened his mouth to ask Severus again where they were, but quickly shut it at Snape's sharp hand motion. "Quiet!" snapped the older wizard. "I have no time to answer questions, I need to concentrate. Be still and watch."

Thus rebuked, Harry clamped his jaw shut and watched as Snape lifted his arms at shoulder level, then brought them down sharply in a sweeping motion, at the same time intoning the phrase, "Part for me!" in Latin.

And the mist obeyed, splitting in half neatly, like a curtain on a stage, to reveal a broad sweep of green lawn and a large one story brick and stone mansion. It looked like something out of a storybook and for one moment Harry wondered if it were real or an illusion. There was a tall wrought iron gate in front of them with an odd depression in the middle of it.

Severus stepped forward, withdrawing a silver and gold medallion from beneath his robes and pressing it to the depression. There was a brilliant silver flash and tendrils of light wove their way through the wrought iron and then the gates swung open.

"Come, Harry," the Potions Master beckoned. "The manor has granted us entrance. Hurry, the Evermist will not remain parted forever."

Severus grasped Harry by the hand when the startled boy did not move quickly enough to suit him, and pulled him through the gate and down the flagstone path leading to the house.

Behind them, the wrought iron gate swung shut without a sound and the mist swirled about it, concealing them and their destination from view.

"Where are we?" Harry asked again.

"At the ancestral home of my forebears and yours as well. Welcome to Prince Manor. No one will find you here, Harry. The Evermist keeps anyone from discovering this place, and no one can set foot on the grounds unless they are related by blood to me and have my permission to enter. This manor is not totally within the world as you know it, Harry," Severus said mysteriously, then proceeded to lead him up the path to the manor, which sat on the hill like a great beast brooding.

Up close, Harry could see that some of the bricks were missing and a few of the stones were missing mortar. Instead of looking all grand and imposing, it looked like a shabbily dressed maid trying to hide her threadbare skirts.

Severus pushed open the door and spoke a quiet word. "Lumos!"

Immediately several lamps along the walls and the ceiling lit up. Harry could now see a large tiled entryway with Corinthian columns. The Potions Master led his son across the foyer and into what appeared to be a large den.

There was a cozy-looking leather couch, brown and slightly worn, and a recliner and a small sofa to match. The furniture was all heavy dark maple and there was a throw rug on the floor with a hunting scene on it. Across from the couch was a large fireplace, and upon the mantle was an odd-shaped clock, kind of like an hourglass.

Severus lit the fire with a quick wave of his wand, then gestured for Harry to sit down.

Harry did so, and Severus sat next to him.

The air in the room felt slightly chill, but it soon warmed from the fire, and Severus said, "You need to know a few things about the history of our family before you can begin to understand the mysteries this manor holds. First and foremost, you must know that the location of this manor is such that no one can find their way to it uninvited, for it is not fully in our world, but exists half in another world, that of the Kingdom of Faerie. In order to get to the manor you must first be able to summon the Evermist and open the lock on the gate." Severus twirled the medallion pointedly. "And the lock can only be opened by the heir to Prince Manor holding the Medallion of Inheritance. In this case that is me."

"Oh. But if it's so safe, sir, then why didn't you come here instead of Privet Drive?"

"I didn't come here because it takes a good deal of magical energy to part the Evermist and I just didn't have it after I'd been Apparating hard and dripping blood all over, so I sought refuge at Privet Drive."

Harry was quiet for a moment. He still wasn't sure if he trusted his father, but here was better than being there, at any rate. Then he asked, because part of what Snape had said puzzled him, "What do you mean, this estate is in two worlds? How is that possible?"

Severus eyed his offspring exasperatedly, then answered, "It is possible because centuries ago, one of my ancestors on my mother's side was an illegitimate son of Merlin Ambrosius. The great wizard recognized him as his offspring, but couldn't give him his name. So Gwydion wandered, seeking his fortune, he was something of a minstrel and an herb magician. One day he wandered into the kingdom of the Fair Folk, and there he met the daughter of a fae lord, Alshiara. But congress between fairy and mortal was not permitted, unless the mortal proved himself worthy. One of the tasks Alshiara's father set Gwydion was to make a residence that reflected the status of both of them, mortal and fae. Thus he created this estate, which is half in the fae realm and half in ours. It touches upon the mortal world, but time runs differently here, and it can only be reached by one who is of their bloodline."

Harry's mouth hung open. "You're telling me I'm . . .part fae?"

"Yes, many generations removed, but you and I have a strain of High Court blood within us. It makes us stronger magically and gives us more endurance, and spells of glamour and binding come easier to us, as do potions. You see that clock upon the mantle?" He pointed to the clock Harry had noticed before.

"That clock is keyed to show the passage of time and the date in our world. That way you will always know the proper time to return there. Time here is slower, part of being inside Underhill, and while you are here, time's hand will rest lightly on you. This estate used to belong to my grandparents, Micah and Isabella Prince, and my grandfather was heir before me. The Prince line is very old, and one of the few pureblooded wizarding lines that can trace back to Merlin.

"Gwydion had a son with Alshiara, they called him Severus, though he too bore no family name, since his father was a bastard. Severus Half-Blood was what his fair folk kin called him, and he belonged to both worlds and none. I am named for him, for I too am a half-blood, being the son of a witch and a Muggle. Severus Half Blood made his own name however, calling himself Prince, for he was the son of a fae princess, and that is how the line came to bear that surname."

Severus gestured to the living area they were sitting in. "This manor is very old, as you can tell. When my grandparents lived here, it was maintained to their very exacting standards, but since they have passed on a few years back, I have not had time to keep up with it as I should have, and so it has fallen into disrepair. We shall have to do some work to make it a proper home once again."

Then Harry thought of something else. "There are no house elves here? But Ron said all the pureblood wizard families had one or two."

"Mr. Weasley is correct, to a point. All the old pureblood families usually do. . .except the Princes. Think about it. House elves are Fair Folk, and we are part fae. Do you think we would ever consent to keep in bondage one of our own? Granted, house elves are Low Court fae while we are High Court, but that does not mean we would ever enslave them. High Court fae are similar to elves, they have greater magic and are more pleasing to the eye than Low Court fae, they can also travel further from the fairy realm and are not bound by geases and such. They are the Fair Folk rulers . . .its princes, if you will." Severus explained, his mouth twitching into a rare smile. "So, no, we have no house elves and never will. Therefore it is up to both of us to fix this place up. We can start with the immediate living quarters and work our way around, it will make a useful project for you until school starts, Harry."

Snape lapsed into silence for a moment, then continued abruptly, "I used to come here once in awhile as a boy with my mother, whenever we could get away from my father, who was a nasty alcoholic. But my grandparents were very proud, they never really forgave my mother for marrying a Muggle . . .said she married beneath herself and disgraced the family."

He could recall with crystal clear clarity overhearing a conversation once between his mum and grandmother, and his grandmother had been angry. "This is what comes of marrying a Muggle, Eileen. Nothing but sorrow and poverty. I told you a long time ago to stick to your own kind, but you refused to listen, and now look where it's gotten you. The wife to a drunken bum who can't even support his own family and a half-breed child."

"You say that, Mother, like Severus is a second-class citizen," Eileen had snapped. "He isn't. Do you forget your own history, the lineage of this family? One of our best wizards was a half-blood-the very one he is named after-Severus Prince! So I'll thank you not to sneer at your grandson, because one day he shall be as great a wizard as the Severus before him!"

"They did not like me much either, half-breed, my grandfather called me, and he was most displeased that the estate chose me as its heir and not a pureblooded wizard cousin. For that is one of the things about Prince Manor . . .the magic of its creation chooses the next heir to the estate, not the family patriarch. And it chooses irrespective of birth order or propriety, as my grandparents discovered when I came here and stayed for a week. At the end of that time, a medallion-the same one I have about my neck now-appeared to me, designating me the heir to Prince Manor. Grandfather was quite put out-that the estate chose a mere half-breed over the more suitable pureblooded cousin, he had favored Lucius Malfoy, you see. But the estate chooses its own and he had no choice but to accept it."

"Malfoy?" Harry gasped. "We're related to the MALFOYS?!!"

"Distantly, yes. As are all the pureblooded families. We are cousins four times removed, I believe."

"I think I'm gonna be sick." Harry muttered. Bloody wonderful! Now I'm related to Malfoy, of all people! Ron's gonna keel over when he learns THIS!

"What's this? You seem less than pleased that you have more family than you originally thought," Severus remarked, highly amused by Harry's obvious disgust.

"I'd sooner be related to Dobby than Draco, the obnoxious, stuck-up prat! Ugh!" Harry declared, horrified. "I can't stand him. His father's even worse."

"Now there you are right," agreed Snape. "Lucius is one of the worst examples of our kind. But I don't think Draco is irredeemable. Like your cousin Dudley, I think he can change, if given the proper motivation."

"No? Yeah, he's Slytherin, so you would say that," Harry groused, a bitter note creeping unbidden into his tone.

"What are you implying?" asked Severus sharply. "That I play favorites with my students?"

"You do! You never take points from any Slytherin who acts up in your class, only Gryffindors." Harry said hotly. "We're always getting yelled at. So how can you say you don't favor your own House? That time Draco mucked up my potion, you gave me detention and he got away with murder. What do you call that?"

Severus frowned. "You don't know everything, Harry. Much of the way I behaved towards you and the other Gryffindors in public was dictated by my role as a spy. I had to appear to favor the Death Eater children of my House and come down hard on you to maintain my cover. But appearances can be deceiving."

"Then you never gave me all those zeros like you said?" Harry felt somewhat confused.

"If I had, you would have failed potions. No, I graded you appropriately for your work. As I do all my students, Slytherin or otherwise."

"Well, when I was in detention with you, where the hell was Draco? Off playing Quidditch with his little toadies?"

Severus's mouth tightened in disapproval. "Mind your tone, young man. Your attitude is precisely why I gave you all those detentions. What you don't know about things could fill an encyclopedia. I assure you that Malfoy was punished as much as you were for any incidences he caused in my class."

"What did you do to him?"

"That is between me and Draco. I won't discuss disciplinary practices with another student," said the Potions Master frostily. "Suffice to say that while you were scrubbing cauldrons, he was also scrubbing and cleaning, two times as much as you, Mr. Snape, for every Slytherin know if they misbehave in my class they get two times the punishment of any other student."

"You take points?"

"Worse. I give them detention for days," his father shot back. "They beg me to take points." There was an evil glint in Snape's eyes as he said that last and Harry found himself believing the professor, much as he didn't want to.

He felt a thread of uneasiness crawl down his spine. If he's this tough on his own House, what will he be like with his son? I don't think I want to find out. Bad enough he made me finish all my summer homework a month in advance. Who does he think I am, Hermione?

He gulped as his father fixed him with a stern raptor gaze. "I will hold you to the same academic standard as my Slytherins, Harry, so I best not find you shirking your schoolwork, understand? Otherwise you'll regret it."

"Yes sir," Harry said, and bit back a groan. Why did he have to get stuck with a teacher for a father? It wasn't fair! His days of procrastination with Ron were definitely over. "I still don't like the idea of Draco being my . . .cousin." Harry muttered, returning to the previous topic.

"I doubt he would be celebrating either," remarked the Potions Master dryly.

"Does that mean he could be the next heir to the manor then?"

"It is a possibility. He bears some Prince blood through his mother's side as well. As I said before, the manor chooses its own. Whether or not it selects you as heir apparent remains to be seen."

"When will I know?"

"When the manor wishes. It could take a week, a month, a year, who knows ?" Severus sighed. "But if you become the heir apparent, you will receive an amulet like this one."

He removed the amulet from around his neck and handed it to Harry.

It was large, at least two inches in diameter, made of heavy silver with gold about the rim. It bore the crest of a winged serpent hovering above a golden chalice, with the motto Knowledge and Magic Forever etched about the design in Latin.

"The crest is a combination of the fae and wizard bloodlines," Severus informed his son. "The winged serpent is the symbol of the fae House Valinek that Alshiara came from. The chalice is the symbol of Merlin's family-the sacred cup-the Cup of Wonders. The motto, Knowledge and Magic Forever, is quite appropriate, since the Princes are known for their academic prowess and magical research. They are great inventors of new spells. And also potion-makers. Something which you need to work on, Harry. Once I have restocked the potions lab here, we can begin lessons to improve your shoddy skills."

Harry rolled his eyes. Yeah, guess we can't have a wizard in the family who sucks at potions, now can we? Don't want to disgrace the family now, do we? Gimme a break! This was not how he had imagined spending the rest of his summer holidays, brewing potions with Severus.

"Am I allowed to go flying here? Or send letters to my friends?" Harry asked then. Or is this going to be a combination of school and prison?

"You may. Hedwig will not be affected by the Evermist or the wards, they were created to keep out any evil creature or wizard, and none can enter without the heir's permission. But flying is a privilege, and one that you may have only after you've completed chores and lessons." Severus said firmly.

"Chores?" Harry asked warily. He pictured scrubbing Severus's lab on his hands and knees with a toothbrush.

"Nothing like what you were forced to do at the Dursleys," reassured Severus. "I will give normal chores, such as any parent would give to their fourteen-year-old. Keeping your room neat, assisting me with meals, light cleaning, chopping up potion ingredients and gathering others when necessary. I need to see what the grounds are like, and if I need to replant the herb garden for my potions." Snape crossed his arms over his chest. "Failure to meet my expectations will result in loss of privileges, such as flying, or lectures and groundings, but I will never starve you, whip you, or lock you in a cupboard. I believe there are other ways to discipline than with a belt or a switch, though I may give you a good swat if you get too mouthy with me, but that would be all. If I catch you using foul language, and I reprimand you more than twice, I will wash out your mouth with soap, because I cannot stand a child who swears like a sailor. But what you endured at that monster Dursley's hands will never be repeated, this I promise you, Harry." Severus said earnestly, looking Harry right in the eyes, so he could tell the older man was not lying.

"Know also that when I issue orders forbidding something, there is always a very good reason, it is never for nothing, and though I may not explain why I gave you an order, there is a reason behind it, so do me the courtesy of obeying. Any order I give usually has your safety in mind. Is that fair to you?"

Harry had to admit that it was, and certainly a good deal better than what he had endured all of his life at his uncle's hands.

"Have I answered all your questions for tonight, Mr. Snape?"

"You called me Snape," Harry repeated, somewhat dazedly.

"I did, since that is what you are," replied his father. "Legally, James Potter's name might be on your birth certificate , but by blood you are mine, and while you are here, you are a Snape and I shall address you as such. When you return to Hogwarts, we will discuss whether or not to reveal the fact that you are my son to the Headmaster and the rest of the school then."

"All right. Umm . . .what should I call you?" he asked awkwardly.

Severus looked faintly uncomfortable as well. "You may continue to address me as sir, if you are comfortable with that, or my given name, Severus, for now." He knew it was too soon for the boy to start calling him dad, nor was he ready for that appellation just yet.

"Okay . . .Severus," Harry agreed, trying it out. It felt odd, calling Snape by his given name, but much less strange than calling the man Dad.

"Anything else?"

"Yeah. Uh, when Aunt Petunia told you about me that morning, she mentioned my mum had cast a spell on me so that I would look like . . .James."

"A Glamour Charm, yes. Lily excelled in them. I can remove it, if you'd like, so you may see your true appearance."

Harry hesitated, then nodded. "Yes. Please, sir. I want to see . . .my real face."

"Very well." Severus summoned a mirror and handed it to his son. Then he pointed his wand and reversed Lily's charm.

As Harry stared into the mirror, he watched his face blur and change. His cheekbones became more prominent, his chin more pointed and his skin a bit paler. His hair became straighter, silkier, and deepened to an almost true ebony. His eyes remained the same, however, as did his nose, though his eyebrows became thinner and more upswept.

Harry stared and stared.

It was not that his new features were ugly or odd looking, only that the face looking back at him was so different from the one he had known all of his life. It was more refined, more elegant, and it also, he realized with a sudden jolt-resembled Snape's a great deal.

Now there could be no mistaking they were father and son.

He jumped when Severus closed a hand on his shoulder.

"If you are quite finished admiring yourself, Harry, I'd suggest you get some sleep. It's very late and there is much to do tomorrow to make this place fit to live in. I would like to get an early start, if possible."

Harry reluctantly tore himself away from the mirror, feeling like an utter idiot, being caught preening like some peacock or conceited ass like Draco. Good one, Harry. Now you're becoming like Draco, all suave and debonair and stuck-up! Next thing you know, you'll be carrying a comb in your robes, he scolded himself sternly. He knew his face must be flaming.

He turned and glanced at his father. "Where are we gonna . . . sir?" He trailed off at the look of astonishment on Snape's face.

"Well . . .if there was any doubt before . . .no one can say now that you are not my son." Severus conceded, and Harry was surprised to hear a note of satisfaction in his voice. "We can sleep here tonight, tomorrow we will begin going through the rooms and choosing a bedroom and so on. For now though, this will do."

He waved his wand, transfiguring both of their clothes into pajamas, then conjuring blankets and pillows as well. "You get the sofa."

Then Snape dimmed the lamps.

Harry obligingly took the smaller couch and lay down, feeling the strain of the day catch up to him all at once. But before he closed his eyes, he remembered something. "Thank you, Severus, for coming back for me."

For a long moment there was silence, then Severus' voice floated out of the semi-darkness, "Did you think I wouldn't? I always keep my promises, Harry. Now go to sleep."

Harry yawned, only too happy to obey. He was just drifting off, his mind spinning in lazy spirals, when he felt covers being tucked under his chin and around him. But he was too sleepy to open his eyes and confirm the amazing fact for himself-that Severus Snape, the snarky dungeon bat, the Slytherin who disliked Gryffindors with a passion, had actually tucked him in! He felt something brush his hair, light as a butterfly's wing, and then he was drawn into the realm of dreams.

The End.
End Notes:
Hope you enjoyed this! Thanks for all the awesome reviews, we both appreciate them!


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1555