Snape's Second Chance by omega13a
Summary: Snape is left dying in the Shrieking Shack after giving Harry his memories convinced that Harry is going to his death. When Snape dies, he is given a chance to send his soul backwards in time seven years to give Harry a chance for a better (and hopefully longer) life. Will switch back and fourth between being Snape centered and Harry centered.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: General
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Slytherin!Harry, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: None
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Neglect
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 12 Completed: No Word count: 29810 Read: 58432 Published: 17 May 2008 Updated: 05 Jun 2009
Chapter 7 by omega13a

Ever since Malfoy called Hermione a mud blood, it seemed as if the other Slytherins fought with each other. Half the Slytherins were angry at Malfoy for loosing so many points in one go. The other half defended him for being a true Slytherin. If it weren't for the prefects stopping the arguments, Harry thought there was going to be fist fights among his fellow Slytherins. So for about a week, one half of Slytherin house avoided the other half and the infighting during classes was driving the teachers insane.

Snape brought this up in the Friday house meeting. He gave them a lecture about the fact that a true Slytherin is someone who is cunning, determined, and ambitious - not someone who insults people publicly. He also said that no one is to use the word mudblood again or a harsher punishment would be given to one who does. Snape also brought up what Malfoy's actions during the flying lesson and said he and the other professors would not tolerate such childish behavior.

On Sunday morning, when Harry and Ron got up, they noticed on the bulletin board in the Slytherin common room a flier about Quidditch Try-Outs.

"Quidditch try-outs will be held today after the lunch hour in the Quidditch Pitch. All first and second years are required to try out."

"Flint must be really desperate for players. To make first and second years try out? First years don't make the house teams and second years don't unless they've had a lot of practice at home like my brothers." Ron said.

"I guess. I will probably make a fool of myself in front of Malfoy since I don't know any of the rules..." Harry replied.

"You won't. You're good flier. Probably better than some of my brothers. Remember what Madam Hooch said." Ron reassured.

During the flying lesson on Thursday, Neville Longbottom took off too early and fell off his broom resulting in a broken wrist. After Madam Hooch had returned from taking Neville to the hospital wing, the lesson resumed and Harry did a much better job at flying compared to the other students. Madam Hooch was impressed and said he was a natural on a broom. When the lesson was over and they all headed back to their common room, the first year Slytherins told the older students in Slytherin about how well Harry flew. Even Malfoy's 'body guards' Crabbe and Goyle made some comments about it, earning them glares from Malfoy. Harry was a little shocked that Crabbe and Goyle spoke, let alone complimented him...

After breakfast, Harry, Ron, and Hermione headed to the library so Ron could bring Harry and Hermione up to speed on the rules for Quidditch. While on route, they suddenly found themselves in an odd situation when they thought they were alone in the corridor.

"Ron, I can't lift of my feet... My shoes! They're stuck to the floor!" Harry panicked as he tried to lift up his feet.

"Mine too! On no... Please let this not be them..." Ron worried out load.

"Who?" Hermione asked as she was trying unsuccessfully to unstuck her self using Finite Incantatem.

"What have we here, Gred?" a voice behind them said.

"Looks like three slimy snake firsties, Forge." another said.

"And ickle Ronnie is one of them!" the first voice said.

"Fred, George! Leave me alone! I didn't ask to be in Slytherin!" Ron yelled.

"I must say that..." George said

"That green really suits you. It really," Fred continued.

"Brings out your anger! Now what should..."

"We do to him for..."

"Being in stinking Slytherin!"

"Leave him alone!" Harry pleaded. "And unstick us!"

Harry never yelled back to anyone when someone did something to him. He was always too afraid. But here he was with two of his friends being pranked by two of one of his friend's brothers and felt braver (or angrier) than he usually did in this kind of situation.

"OK." Fred replied to Harry's pleas.

George pointed his wand at the floor under Harry, Ron, and Hermione and casted some non-verbal spell and Harry, Ron, and Hermione were now free to go. However, they didn't get far.

"Viridisempra!" Fred or George yelled followed by harsh laugher.

Harry looked at Ron and Ron was solid Slytherin green. Not just his skin, but his hair, eyes, and clothes. It only took Ron a half a second to realize he was completely green. Ron turned around but before he could act, a teacher had responded to the commotion.

"Misters Weasleys! 20 points from Gryffindor! And detention! Attacking your brother and his friends like that!" scolded Professor McGonagall as she ran to the scene.

"You two are worse than the so called Marauder gang back in the 70's! Attacking first years, let alone your brother! Not even they did those things!" McGonagall continued.

"Now, let's see about getting you back to normal Mr. Weasley." she said to Ron. With a flick of her wand, Ron was back to normal.

"Thank you, professor." Ron replied.

"You are welcome, Mr. Weasley. I'll be informing your parents of this incident. If your brothers do anything else like this again, don't hesitate to tell me or the head of your house."

"Yes professor."

Harry was a little surprised - a teacher actually did something about bullies and said that if it happened again to tell them? At his old school, the teachers knew Dudley beat up Harry and gave him a hard time, calling him names and chasing him all over the place but they never did anything about it. They had watched and pretended like nothing was happening. And at home, his aunt and uncle not only knew about it, but actually encouraged it. It seemed like every time Dudley pushed him in front of his aunt or uncle, Dudley would get some reward. Is this the way things are supposed to be Harry wondered.

They continued to the library and stayed there until lunch. When they went to the Great Hall for lunch, they were briefly interrupted by a Howler going off at the Gryffindor table.

"FRED AND GEORGE WEASLEY! I WILL NOT TOLERATE YOU TWO NOT BEING TOLERANT OF THOSE WHO ARE DIFFERENT! LEAVE YOUR BROTHER RON AND HIS FRIENDS ALONE! SO WHAT IF HE IS IN SLYTHERIN! IF YOU TWO DO ANYMORE PRANKS ON ANY OF YOUR BROTHERS AND/OR THEIR FRIENDS, I WILL DO WHAT YOUR FATHER DID TO BOTH OF YOU AFTER HE CAUGHT YOU TWO TRYING TO TRICK RON INTO MAKING AN UNBREAKABLE VOW TO BE YOUR SLAVE!" Mrs. Weasley's voice echoed threw out the hall. After the Howler was finished, people started talking again.

"Weasley, what was that about?" Flint asked.

"Nothing..." Ron said embarrassed.

"Nothing? You're brothers put a sticking charm on the floor to prevent us from going anywhere before they decided to turn you green in front of Professor McGonagall." Hermione complained.

"What's an unbreakable vow?" Harry asked.

"Its a promise you can't break. They're mentioned briefly in a 'Muggleborn's Guide to the Wizarding World', chapter 10. It said that you should never make one and if you do, don't every try to break it. It didn't say what would happen but I don't think it would be pleasant." Hermione said.

"If you break and unbreakable vow, you will die instantly. I just hope your father stopped them before the vow was sealed, Weasley. Otherwise, you won't have much choice if they decided to use you to prank your house mates." Sharon Silverwater replied.

"My dad caught them before it was sealed. It was the only time I saw my dad as angry as my mum. I was like five at the time and didn't know any better to make that kind of vow..." Ron said, still embarrassed.

"So I was right. All Weasleys have no brains!" Malfoy mocked.

"That was out of line, Malfoy. I don't want to lose what little points we have gotten back so I'm giving you detention. You're such an arrogant trouble maker. I very much want Slytherin to keep the House Cup but you aren't helping..." Silverwater scolded. Malfoy looked upset that he had received yet another detention but decided to keep quite.

"We have more important things to worry about right now like how to get back at Fred and George Weasley for pranking their little brother and his friends. Any ideas?" Flint asked after he took he wand out and quickly put it away.

"We could frame them of setting off a bunch of dung bombs in the dungeons." A fourth year named Powell said.

"That sounds like something they would do. They set an extra smelly one off in my brother Percy's bedroom last summer after he found out he was made prefect. Took my parents two days to get the smell out of the room..." Ron said.

"Sounds like a good idea. We just need some dung bombs and a way to convince the staff that it was them and not us..."

"I already have some dung bombs. Mr. Filtch is always setting up rat traps in the dungeons. Two of us could use a glamor charm to look like the Weasley twins and hopefully Filtch would see them." Powell said.

"Why do you have dung bombs?" Silverwater asked shocked.

"I bought some to see what kind of potion or spell would make them smell so bad." Powell answered.

"If this doesn't work, we could get into a lot of trouble." Hermione spoke.

"First rule of being a Slytherin, don't get caught doing anything stupid. And we won't." Flint replied taking his wand out again.

After lunch, Harry joined all the other first and second years at the Quidditch try-out. Flint came out in front of all the students who were trying out.

"Listen up! After talking with Professor Snape, I've decided to hold open try-outs for all positions on the team. I want to get the best team possible. No more of this staying on the team year after year because you were already on the team. Whoever I chose to be on this year's team will have to re-try out for their position next year."

Flint proceeded to test everyone for each of the four types of positions. Harry felt that he did best for the keeper and seeker positions. Malfoy apparently was so upset that someone who grew up with Muggles did so well, he ended up making a lot of mistakes when tested for each position. He ended up blaming his performance on the school broom but nobody bought it. Ron performed well for the keeper and chaser positions. Hermione managed to talk Flint out of making her try out, so she and sat around and watched her friends.

After Flint had finished testing everyone, he announced, "As for keeper, I haven't decided on who should be keeper because so many of you did so well. It will probably go down to whoever wins a game of chance between Hucklebee, Silverwater, Trenton, and Weasley. The chasers will be myself, Hitchens, and Wazlib. The reserve chasers will be Bergen, Holt, and Weatherbe. The beaters will be Higgs and Kellogg. The reserve beaters will be Smith and Underhill. Potter will definitely be seeker. I haven't decided on a reserve seeker yet since everyone else did poorly at the position."

Harry couldn't believe it. He made seeker for the team! And Ron said first years never make the team! If only he was allowed a broom... Just then, Flint approached him.

"Potter, we need to talk to Snape about getting you a broom. I know the letter they send out to first years say first years aren't allowed a broom but the official rules in the prefect manual said they are if they make the house team and have permission from the head of their house." Flint said.

To be continued...
End Notes:
Sorry for taking so long. I've been having problems with my web server which I've decided to name Peeves because it just likes to irritate me otherwise I would have had this up last night...

Anyways, reviews!


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1567