Harry Potter and the Map of Discoveries by tatajess
Summary: When Fred & George stole the Marauder's Map in their first year, they didn't expect the secrets it would reveal years later. How will Harry & Snape adjust to the new discoveries & how will it effect the wizarding world? AU, canon through OoTP. SEVERITUS.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Professor Snape, Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape > Severitus Challenge Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Fred George, Remus
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, General
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 18 Completed: No Word count: 70746 Read: 101685 Published: 11 Jun 2008 Updated: 15 Jun 2011
Potions and Consequences by tatajess
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: See Ch. 1

Harry entered the Headmaster’s office to see Snape and Remus talking in low tones. As Harry brushed the soot off of his clothes, Dumbledore entered the room and the two men fell silent.

“Gentlemen,” Dumbledore greeted with a nod of his head. He took a seat behind his desk and jotted down a note with a red feathered quill before glancing back up at Remus.

“Well, I was quite concerned when you requested my presence tonight. As much as I enjoy your company, I assume this was not a social call,” Dumbledore commented.

“Unfortunately, yes. I’ve come across some information that you should be aware of,” Remus responded.

“Please, have a seat,” Dumbledore gestured and waved his hand, conjuring up three chintz armchairs.

Harry was surprised to see that even Snape sat. He was expecting the Potions Master to hover in the corner and think up caustic remarks.

Remus began, “While at Hogwarts, James, Sirius, Peter, and I created a map of Hogwarts. The map shows everyone in the castle and lists their true identity, even if the subject has magically disguised his or her appearance.”

“Yes,” Dumbledore interrupted, “Barty Crouch informed me of this map’s unique characteristics before he was kissed by the Dementors.”

Harry shivered, remembering the incident quite clearly. He was torn from his thoughts as he heard Snape’s voice beside him.

“As interesting as this little history lesson is, I do have more important tasks to deal with. Is there any particular reason why I need to be here?”

“Yes, Severus,” Remus responded, “Your potions expertise is needed. Give me a moment to explain, will you?”

Without waiting for Snape’s response, Remus continued, “Well then, as you know, Harry is in possession of this map. He informed me of a peculiarity he saw on the map while looking for his cousin.”

Remus stood and reached into his robe pocket, pulling out the map. He had it already activated and unfolded it on the Headmaster’s desk.

Harry watched worriedly as Snape leaned close, his eyes quickly scanning the parchment. Harry’s fears were realized as Snape suddenly voiced his opinion.

“As a student, Potter should not be in possession of this object. Since he is already prone to breaking the rules, he shouldn’t have an object that allows him and his little miscreant accomplices free reign over the school!”

Harry’s temper rose and he glared at Snape, shouting, “My friends aren’t miscreants!”

Professor Dumbledore interrupted, “Severus, we can discuss this later. Right now, I believe that we may have a more serious matter at hand.”

Snape quieted and Harry relaxed back into his seat. Snape glared at Harry but did not continue his argument.

“Here’s where the problem is,” Remus announced, pointing to Harry’s name on the map.

“It’s shifting in and out of focus,” Dumbledore muttered as Snape moved closer to get a better look.

“Yes,” Remus replied. “The map has never done that before, targeting one name. There was a period of time when we were making it that all the names flashed different colors, but no individual name was ever singled out. I didn’t have an explanation for Harry until I thought of his birthday.”

He paused, fishing for something in his pockets. Pulling out a glass bottle with a silvery substance floating inside, Remus asked, “May I use your Pensieve, Albus?”

‘Pensieve?’ Harry thought worriedly. From all of his past experiences, he believed that nothing good ever came from using the device.

With a wave of his wand, Dumbledore summoned the Pensieve from his black cabinet and set it on the middle of his desk. “Be my guest,” Professor Dumbledore replied.

Remus added the memories to the rune covered basin and continued, “I believe it’s important for all of you to see this memory. I think that seeing this is the only way to confirm my suspicions.”

Harry watched Snape narrow his eyes at Remus, but the glare was short lived as all four wizards leaned over the Pensieve and touched a finger to the shimmering surface.

When Harry entered the memory, he saw Remus holding an infant version of himself in a warm, inviting home, sun streaming through the windows. As he looked around, Harry spotted wizard pictures above the mantle. He saw a large photo of himself and his parents and stepped closer.

As he and the others were examining their new surroundings, Remus turned to Harry, “I had just remembered that your birthday is coming up in a few weeks when I thought back to your first birthday. Lily was so excited…”

He was interrupted as a female voice echoed through the house.

James! Get the cake out of the oven in a few minutes while I get Harry dressed!” Lily shouted as she dashed into the living room, darting around a playpen and snatching a smiling Harry from Remus’s arms.

“Mum.” Harry whispered. He heard someone gasp at her sudden appearance, but was unable to tear his eyes off of her. He watched as she lovingly held his younger self and his heart ached.

Remus! Good to see you!” Lily greeted as she kissed her friend on the cheek. “When did you get here?”

Padfoot and I arrived a few minutes ago. He and James are out back tinkering with Sirius’s motorbike. You do know that the cake will burn if you leave it up to him to get it out, right?” Remus asked with a chuckle.

Those two! You’d think they were both sixteen again trying to modify their brooms,” Lily sighed and shook her head.

She hitched Harry on her hip as he began to squirm. “Could you get the cake out in a few minutes and drag the boys away from their toy?” she asked. “The others should be arriving soon.”

No problem,” Remus responded with a smile as he watched Lily carry Harry up the stairs, her red hair glistening as the sun hit it. Before she disappeared from view, she kissed the giggling boy on the nose.

Harry spared a glance at the others. Remus was smiling sadly and the Headmaster’s face appeared somber. It was Snape’s attitude, however, that shocked Harry the most. Snape was paler than usual and his hands were clenched tightly into the fabric of his robes. His gaze was still on the stairs where Lily had disappeared.

As Harry stared at Snape, the scene changed and Remus was sitting at the table talking with Sirius and James.

Snape’s demeanor instantly changed and Harry watched as his nostrils flared and his eyes narrowed. He didn’t really care what Snape was thinking as his breath caught in this throat for the second time and his gaze landed on his dad and Sirius.

Lily walked back in with Harry, who squealed and squirmed in her arms, shouting, “Dada!”

Lily laughed and passed him over to James.

There’s my big boy!” James said excitedly has he ruffled Harry’s hair and kissed him on the forehead.

Sirius got up from the table and hugged Lily.

Hello, Lily. You look beautiful as always,” Sirius smiled, grabbing and kissing the back of her hand.

Lily slapped Sirius's hand away. “Don't try to charm me, Sirius Black! I know you brought that bike over here.”

Don't be mad, Lily. How else were Remus and I supposed to get here before everyone else and bring all of Harry’s gifts?” He said innocently.

Lily smiled, “You do realize that you’re spoiling him rotten?”

That’s what godfathers are for, isn’t it?” Sirius smiled mischievously.

Harry was amazed by how young Sirius looked. He was handsome, well groomed, and impeccably dressed in rich burgundy robes. He watched as Sirius turned his attention to baby Harry.

“Aww, Harry, no greeting for Uncle Padfoot?” Sirius asked with an exaggerated pout. He got up from his chair and turned into a large dog.

Padfoot walked up to James and Harry, who was giggling at the sudden appearance of the dog.He lifted his nose and sniffed Harry's bare feet. Harry laughed and playfully swatted the dog on the nose. Padfoot sneezed on his feet, causing the boy to kick his feet.

Padfoot!” James chuckled, shaking his head. “Harry doesn't want your snot between his toes.”

At this remark, Padfoot reached over and licked the soles of Harry’s feet.

Paddy!” Harry laughed as James set him on the floor. Harry grabbed at Padfoot’s fur and the two played while Lily joined Remus and James at the table.

When does the Floo connection activate?” Remus asked.

In a few minutes. Most of the Order's coming and Alice and Frank are bringing Neville for Harry to play with,” Lily answered.

Sirius resumed his human form and sat down at the table with Harry on his lap. Harry stood up on his legs and pulled himself up on the table, crawling across it to reach Lily.

How's my baby?” Lily asked as she clutched Harry to her chest. Harry wiggled into a comfortable position and muttered, “Mama,” as he grabbed onto her violet robes.

Several minutes of quiet conversation later, Harry was asleep in his mother’s arms.

I’ll put Harry down in the playpen in the living room. He shouldn’t sleep much longer because he already had a nap after lunch,” Lily commented to the others.

As she stood, James got up and pulled her chair back, kissing her and Harry before they both left the room.

Once again, the scene changed and Harry found himself back in the living room. He noticed that his younger self was now awake and playing with a stuffed dragon. The fireplace was now lit and the four adults stood around it, wands at the ready.

The flames sparkled green and little Harry giggled. A dark haired woman stepped out clutching a package in her hands. Behind her, another man stepped out of the fire and stood at her side.

State your name and password,” Sirius commanded, his wand drawn.

Benjy Fenwick. Wigtown Wanderers,” the man stated.

Dorcas Meadowes. Tutshill Tornados,” she replied seriously. With a smile, she added, “What’s with the Quidditch passwords, anyway? You both are almost as bad as Dumbledore and his sweets!”

James dropped his wand and responded, “What can I say? Great minds think alike.” He smiled and kissed her on the cheek as he took the package from her arms and shook hands with Benjy.

Harry looked to his right as he heard Dumbledore chuckle. Snape was glaring at the Headmaster, but the Potions Master quickly turned his attention back to Lily as she began to speak.

Lily laughed, “Dorcas! I’m so glad you could make it!” and embraced the other woman.

After greetings were exchanged, Harry watched as the two visitors fawned over his younger self.

When he started to fuss, Lily took him from Dorcas’s arms and put him back in the playpen. James stepped over to the fireplace and put the screen back in place.

When are the others arriving?” Benjy asked.

We’ve spaced arrivals every fifteen minutes that way we know to expect no more than two wizards at a time. Albus thought it would be best for security,” James answered.

You have to see the cake!” Lily exclaimed. “I used the recipe you gave me and it came out perfectly.”

Following her lead, James turned to Benjy. “Benjy, you have to see Sirius’s bike! It works perfectly.”

Lily turned to James and shook her head at his attempt to playfully mock her. “Come on, let’s leave the boys to their toys,” Lily commented as the women headed to the kitchen. The men followed and exited the kitchen door as Lily was levitating the cake to the table.

The scene changed once again, but the atmosphere was quite different.

The men were all outside when the sound of Harry shrieking and crying filled the air. Remus and the others rushed back inside, hearing Lily scream as they dashed through the door.

Lily!” James shouted and raced past his friends.

The sight that met them in the living room was unexpected. The playpen was tipped on its side and Lily was kneeling on the floor in front of the fireplace with Dorcas standing behind her. Suddenly, James caught sight of his son.

Merlin, Harry!” James uttered, his voice breaking.

Harry’s face and arms were covered in burns and blisters. His hands were red and tears streaked down his raw cheeks.

James, what do we do!” Lily cried, looking afraid to touch her son and cause him more pain.

Remus stepped forward and placed a cushioning charm around Harry. He tossed a blanket into James’s arms.

Here,” James replied, wrapping a sobbing Harry in the blanket.

He handed him over to a distraught Lily and pushed her towards the floo. Grabbing a handful of powder, James wrapped his arms around his family before shouting, “St. Mungo’s!”

Harry was stunned. He looked down at his arms, which didn’t bear any trace of the expected burn scars. When he looked up, he, Remus, Snape, and Dumbledore were in St. Mungos.

A healer was speaking with Remus, James, Lily, and Sirius. “Harry suffered second and third degree burns on his face and upper extremities. His pants were singed, but the rest of his body was unharmed. Unfortunately, some of the burns are too severe to treat with our standard healing potion. Since the fireplace in question is also used for Floo transportation, the mixture of magical and non-magical elements makes the burns resistant to simple magical and Muggle healing methods. However, this type of injury is not uncommon, especially in familiars and curious young children and a treatment has been developed. I will need a sample of blood, preferably from one of his parents, in order to give him the Exsarcio potion,” the healer explained.

James replied, “Take the blood from me. I’m his father.”

Wait!,” Lily spoke up. “I’m Harry’s mother. I should be the donor.”

James turned to Lily, looking confused and slightly hurt. “Lily, honey, let me take care of this. It was my fault the childproofing charms weren’t reapplied. Let me do this.”

Tears welled in Lily’s eyes and James pulled her into an embrace. “It will be okay. I promise you,” James whispered to Lily as he stroked her hair and kissed the top of her head.

He looked up at the healer, “I’ll help Harry. Whatever you need, just tell me.”

Ok, sir. Let me explain what the potion does, since I will need your consent before administering it. The Exsarcio potion is quite complicated, but I’ll give you the basic information. It heals the skin and subcutaneous tissues by molding your son’s physical features with your own. This will cause him to look more like you than he would without the potion. Since he is young, this should not be a problem. However, the potion has a maximum duration of fifteen years. Therefore, as he approaches his sixteenth birthday, the potion will begin to wear off until he is left with the burn scars. At that time, the potion will need to be readministered to prevent painful withdrawal symptoms. It is important for you to know that the administration of the potion, if you consent, is not without risk. Side effects from the first dose, though rare, include anaphylaxis, coma, loss of magical ability, disfigurement, hair loss, constipation, and uncontrollable toenail growth. After treatment with the potion, your son can be discharged following one hour of observation for these adverse effects. Now, if I could have you sign this form,” the witch explained, using her wand to levitate a piece of parchment and a quill in front of James.

Lily?” James asked as he pulled away from his wife.

Her eyes were red from crying, but her voice was strong when she spoke, “Sign it.”

James grabbed the quill and signed the paper. As soon as he released the quill, the parchment rolled up and disappeared with a pop.

Thank you, Mr. and Mrs. Potter,” replied the healer.

She reached over, extended James’s arm, and waved her wand near his antecubital fossa. His skin appeared transparent as his blood vessels stood out prominently. The healer used her wand to make a small nick in a vessel and quickly placed a vial against his skin. Once filled, she sealed the vial and healed the cut on James’s arm.

There is one other thing you should know. Harry’s eyes were damaged by the fire, but we were able to treat most of the damage. Unfortunately, this potion is only effective on skin and subcutaneous tissue; therefore, his vision will be impaired for the rest of his life. He should be assisted by corrective lenses, which we can fit for him prior to his discharge. Do you have any other questions before we administer the potion?” the healer asked.

Can we sit with him?” Lily spoke up.

Yes, you and your husband can follow me,” the healer responded kindly.

James wrapped an arm around Lily and the two left Sirius and Remus alone in the hall.

The world spun for the final time and Harry and the others were deposited back in Dumbledore’s office. Remus collected his memory from the basin and the Headmaster put the Pensieve away before taking his seat. The others sat opposite him and Remus turned to Harry.

“I’m sure this all comes as a shock to you, which is why I wanted to show you the memory instead of tell you about it. Do you have any questions?”

“Why did I get burned?” Harry asked immediately. “I mean, they had me in that big pen thing and even had a screen in front of the fireplace.”

“You’ve heard of magic, have you not, Potter?” Snape sneered.

“Yes,” Remus said loudly, preventing Harry from making a snide comment to Snape. “You had performed small feats of accidental magic before your first birthday, usually just summoning toys, so we all didn’t expect that you were capable of what happened that day. From what we surmised, you managed to knock the playpen over and crawled over to the fireplace. When you were a baby, you would stare at the fire for hours. I think you were just interested in watching the flames and leaned into the protective screen to get a better look. When we got back to Godric’s Hollow, we couldn’t find the screen. You must have vanished it and fell into the fire when it disappeared.”

“As fascinating as it is to hear about every detail of Potter’s accidental magic, I would like to discuss this potion so I can get started on the boy’s cure,” Snape interjected.

If possible, Harry noticed that Snape looked more agitated than usual and his face was quite pale.

“From what I know, the potion is why Harry’s name was flickering. I suspect that with the potion acting properly, the map saw him as it should have. When the potion started wearing off, it began to sense his magical signature, as well as that of his father, causing his name to flicker,” Remus added.

“Yeah, that makes sense,” Harry responded. “But what does all of this mean?” Harry asked worriedly. “That healer said something about withdrawal.”

Turning to Snape he added, “And you said something about a cure.”

Snape cleared his throat and began to lecture, “As the healer said, the Exsarcio potion only works for fifteen years. When the final month of activation approaches, the patient will begin to experience mild symptoms of withdrawal, including itching, tingling, and other abnormal skin sensations. The second stage is characterized by what is called worm skin. Patients describe the feeling of worms crawling under the skin. This is due to the rearrangement of tissues as the body attempts to regain its normal form. The itching and tingling sensations become more intense in this stage. The pain begins in the final stage, typically one day prior to the potion wearing off. Body tissues morph rapidly, causing ripping and tearing sensations over areas of scarring. For several days before and after the potion wears off, nightmares tend to be more common as the unconscious mind attempts to adjust to the body’s physical changes.”

At the mention of the painful symptoms, Harry turned to Dumbledore. The trademark twinkle in his eyes was replaced by a weary expression. As though he knew what Harry was thinking, the Headmaster asked, “Is there anything we can do to prevent the withdrawal symptoms?”

Snape relied simply, “I’m afraid not, sir.”

“Have you felt any of these changes, Harry?” Remus asked with concern.

Harry thought back to his experiences in the last couple of days. “Well, my skin has been itching more than usual, especially my arms, but I just thought it might have been sunburn or something from the heat.”

“If Harry takes this potion again soon, will it prevent any further symptoms?” Remus inquired.

Snape responded, “The Exsarcio potion is no longer in use today. While completing my Potions mastery, I focused on continuing Mistress Hesper Starkey’s work. Mistress Starkey was particularly interested in improving healing potions using the lunar cycle.”

“Is that why you know how to brew the Wolfsbane Potion?” Remus asked curiously.

“Yes,” Snape responded, sounding a bit disgruntled at being interrupted. “She theorized that adjusting the brewing schedule in concordance with the full moon could improve its effectiveness.”

“As I was saying,” Snape drawled, “her theory on tissue regeneration based on Waffling’s Postulates was brilliant. From her notes I was able to modify the initial procedure and to formulate several other rejuvenation draughts. The Ardor Curatio potion will be of particular benefit to Potter. It should restore his appearance permanently.”

“You mean I’ll look different?” Harry asked.

“Yes. Since the Exsarcio potion will wear off soon, your true appearance, scars included, will resurface. However, the scars can be permanently treated with administration of Ardor Curatio if taken on the full moon,” Snape replied.

“What about this one?” Harry asked, pointing to the jagged curse scar on his forehead.

“I’m afraid no amount of magic will remove that scar,” Dumbledore answered. Turning towards Snape, he asked, “Can you have the potion ready before the Exsarcio wears off?”

“Ardor Curatio takes a fortnight to brew and must be administered in a patient that is not under the influence of any other potions. The full moon is the evening of July 30th; therefore, the ideal time to administer the potion is the thirtieth or early on the thirty-first. As the Exsarcio potion should clear Potter’s system on the thirty-first, the most effective time to administer it would be midnight July thirty-first,” Snape responded.

“Thank you, Severus. I know we still have a few weeks, but I will have the house elves prepare the hospital wing for your use. Since Remus will be unavailable to assist you that evening, would you like me to owl Poppy and have her come back for a few days?” Dumbledore asked.

“No, Headmaster. I can handle Potter in the evenings. Minerva can assist me if necessary.”

“Very well, Severus. I know you have to start brewing right away, so you may go. Please contact me if there is anything that you need,” Dumbledore said, standing with Snape as the Potions Master headed towards the door.

As his hand touched the handle, Snape turned, “Potter, lessons will be cancelled until further notice due to the brewing schedule; however, I expect you to study and be prepared when we resume.”

“Yes, Professor,” Harry responded as Snape exited.

“Well, Gentlemen, it is getting late so I will bid you both goodnight,” the Headmaster stated, walking Remus and Harry to the door.

“Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention,” Dumbledore praised Remus. “And Harry,” he continued kindly, “Don’t worry about what is to come. I have the utmost faith in Professor Snape and everything will work out in the end.”

Taking that as his cue, Harry grasped the door handle and stepped onto the staircase, followed by Remus.

“Goodnight, Headmaster,” Harry said quietly.

“Goodnight, Harry. Pleasant dreams,” smiled Dumbledore.

As Remus walked with Harry back to Gryffindor Tower, he asked, “I know this all comes as a shock to you. Get some sleep and we can talk more about this tomorrow if you want.”

“Thanks for finding out what’s wrong with me,” Harry responded as they reached the portrait of the Fat Lady. “And thanks for letting me see my parents and Sirius.”

“You’re welcome. Now try and get some sleep. I’ll see you tomorrow,” Remus replied, squeezing Harry’s shoulder.

To be continued...
End Notes:
Please review and let me know what you think of Harry’s back story! Special thanks to boushh, who was kind enough to beta this chapter. Also, I’d like to thank all of you that reviewed or added me to your story alerts or favorites! Coming up: Harry shares his worries as he starts to get withdrawal symptoms. Harry’s birthday arrives and preparations for potion administration begin!

If you’re interested, check out my profile page at fanfiction.net where I’ll continue to post updates on the progress of future chapters. I apologize for the delay between chapters. I’m aiming for once a month updates. When I started writing this, I was hoping updates could be more frequent, but real life has gotten in the way. Don’t worry, I will continue this story! I hate when I enjoy a story only to find it isn’t finished.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1582