Harry Potter and the Map of Discoveries by tatajess
Summary: When Fred & George stole the Marauder's Map in their first year, they didn't expect the secrets it would reveal years later. How will Harry & Snape adjust to the new discoveries & how will it effect the wizarding world? AU, canon through OoTP. SEVERITUS.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Professor Snape, Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape > Severitus Challenge Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Fred George, Remus
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, General
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 18 Completed: No Word count: 70746 Read: 101667 Published: 11 Jun 2008 Updated: 15 Jun 2011
Removing the Past by tatajess
Author's Notes:
A summary of the story so far can be found at Chapter 18 of this story on fanfiction dot net.

Disclaimer: see Chapter 1

Thanks again to the best betas, boushh, xHarryIsMyHomeboyx, and breannatala!

 

Previously:

 "To what do I owe this visit from two of my favorite people?" Dumbledore asked serenely.

"The boy has known the location of Slytherin's locket for months!" Snape exclaimed.

-333-

Chapter 18: Removing the Past

"I didn't know that I knew," Harry explained as he sat next to Snape across from the Headmaster.

At Dumbledore's bewildered look, Harry continued, "I only remembered during occlumency lessons.  Sna...Professor Snape said the name of a Hogwarts house before he invaded my mind."

"So I assume the locket appeared in a memory after Slytherin house was named?" Dumbledore surmised.

"Yes, Headmaster," Snape interrupted.  "I saw the boy and his friends cleaning Headquarters under the direction of the Weasley matriarch.  It was only a flashing moment, but it may still be at the house."

"So will you send the Order to find it?" Harry asked.

"Unfortunately, it's not that easy," Dumbledore responded, leaning back in his chair.

"Kreacher!" Dumbledore called out.

"Filthy mudblood-lover has summoned Kreacher?" the elf said hoarsely as he appeared with a loud crack.

Harry had instinctively stood at Kreacher's appearance, his wand out and pointed at the elf.  Snape was standing as well, his wand held firmly at his side.  His other hand rested on Harry's outstretched arm.

"What's he doing here?" Harry yelled accusingly.  "The bastard won't give it to you!"

"Language, Potter," Snape spoke calmly from next to Harry.

"Nasty brat!" Kreacher began, only to be interrupted by Harry.

"Shut your mouth or I'll shut it for you!" Harry growled.

The elf's face contorted in anger, but he kept silent.

"Potter, stop!" Snape snapped.  "Sit down and be quiet.  He's here for a reason.  Vengeance won't help," Snape added, pushing Harry down into his chair.

"Don't move," Snape warned, standing behind Harry with one hand firmly on his shoulder.

Harry took a deep breath as he stared at Kreacher.  If looks could kill, the elf would be a pile of smoldering ash.  The feeling must have been mutual because Kreacher was glaring right back.  He looked more unkempt than before, long white strands of hair growing like a forest out of his ears and his threadbare clothing hanging loosely over his skeletal frame.

"Well, it appears that the situation is not as dire as I feared," Dumbledore remarked, unwrapping a lemon drop.

"Lemon drop?" Dumbledore asked, offering the candy to his guests.

Both Harry and Snape declined.  "Can we get back to the issue at hand?" Snape asked.

"I'm sorry, Severus, but we have fantastic news," Dumbledore responded, smiling.

Harry felt Snape remove his hand from his shoulder.  He must have felt as though Harry wasn't going to start a house-elf duel in Dumbledore's office because he pocketed his wand and regained his seat.

"As you know, Harry, Sirius left you Grimmauld Place and all of its contents in his will.  House elf magic can be tricky and I was unsure that Kreacher's ownership transferred to you as well.  I was worried that if he found out about the purpose of our visits to Grimmauld Place then word would spread to Voldemort.  But, as you can see, you told him to keep quiet and he has done so," Dumbledore explained.

"Can't I just set him free?" Harry asked eager to dispense of the elf.

"If you do that, then there is absolutely nothing stopping him from turning to other members of the Black family.  I suggest you keep him as he is," Dumbledore advised.

"What if I give him to someone else?"  Harry said as he looked at the others in the room.  "Can I give him to Professor Snape?" Harry asked with an eager grin.

"You do that Potter and it will be your head mounted on the wall and not the elf's," Snape threatened. 

"Fine," Harry sighed, "I'll keep him, but he's not staying with me here."

"I wouldn't expect him to," Dumbledore answered.  "He'll stay at Grimmauld Place if you order him there."

Harry didn't need to be told twice.  "Kreacher, stay at Grimmauld Place.  Don't visit anyone or leave the house unless I allow it, and," Harry paused as he thought about what else to add.  He didn't want Kreacher to do anything that would prevent them from destroying the Horcrux.  "Oh, and keep the place as you would have for Walburga Black."

"You want me to keep everything like Mistress wanted it?" Kreacher asked suspiciously.

Harry looked at the others for help, only receiving a nod and smile from Dumbledore and a curious stare from Snape.

"Well, yeah," Harry responded.  "The house should be kept up and well maintained."

He remembered the magical pests that had taken up residence in Headquarters, and he thought it would be best if Kreacher at least tried to clean up.  He knew from his experience with the diary that the Horcruxes were dangerous and wanted to reduce the chances of Order members getting hurt.  He couldn't control the Horcrux, but he could try and keep the rest of the house safe.

"Kreacher can do that!  I will keep it how Mistress liked it, Master," Kreacher vowed as he bowed to Harry. 

As much as it pained him to be civil, Harry had to maintain his façade to ensure that the elf didn't return to Bellatrix or the Malfoys.  "You do that.  Goodbye, Kreacher."

"New Master is much better than that nasty blood-traitor," Kreacher mumbled to himself as he apparated away.

"Good riddance!  Let me know when I can get rid of him for good," Harry told Dumbledore.

"I will, my boy.  You handled him very well.  A little kindness, even if it is forced, goes a long way," Dumbledore added. 

"I would have asked Kreacher about the Horcrux but I was worried about what he would do if he knew we were looking for it."  Turning to Snape, he continued, "Now that we have that settled and are certain that Harry is indeed the owner of Grimmauld Place, Severus, you and I must determine how we will destroy the Horcrux once we find it." 

Harry tried to pay attention to the discussion, but he started to zone out when the discussion shifted from destruction spells to destroying the Horcrux with a potion.  His thoughts drifted to Sirius.  He thought he did a good a job handling Kreacher, but a part of him felt like he betrayed Sirius.   He hoped that Sirius, wherever he was, wouldn't be mad at him for choosing to treat Kreacher kindly.  With a Horcrux hidden in the house, it needed to be done and Harry hoped Sirius would have agreed.  Even Snape seemed pleased with the outcome, although Harry doubted the mildly impressed look was directed towards him.  He thought the man was probably just relieved that he hadn't taken the easy way out and relinquished control of Kreacher to him.  

As Harry stared at Snape, he discovered that the current discussion was taking an interesting turn.

"We can't just owl order any venom or toxin and hope that throwing it at the Horcrux will be successful.  Not only will the Dark Lord become suspicious of our sudden interest in dangerous potion ingredients, but we have no guarantee anything we try will work," Snape argued.

"The basilisk venom worked quite well," Dumbledore responded, inclining his head to Harry before pulling the diary out of his desk drawer and sliding it over towards Snape.

Wordlessly, Snape cautiously picked up the destroyed diary and flipped through the damaged pages.

"It may have worked at the time, but there are only a handful of apothecaries that have access to the venom.  Besides, it would cost more than the teacher's combined salaries for the last 10 years to obtain and with the regulations the Ministry would be aware of its purchase the second the transaction is complete," Snape countered.

"What about the one I killed?" Harry interjected.

"What about it?  It's been destroyed," Snape answered.

"Actually," Dumbledore added with a twinkle to his eyes, "As luck would have it, the elves repaired the damage before I could fly down into the Chamber.  I couldn't bring myself to force a twelve-year-old boy back to the place where he and his friend nearly died just to destroy an already dead animal.  The basilisk remains are still where Harry left them."

"Why didn't you tell me sooner? Have you any idea what I could have done with basilisk ingredients?  The events I could have prevented?" Snape asked, glaring at the Headmaster.  "I could have ended him when he first came back!" Snape growled as he stood and slammed his hand holding the diary onto Dumbledore's desk, breathing heavily.

"And get yourself killed in the process?" Dumbledore asked, his expression cold.  "We've discussed this, Severus," he added, staring into Snape's eyes.

Harry felt uncomfortable watching the two older men.  He had never seen Snape that angry with the Headmaster.  In fact, he'd only seen Snape that angry a few times before and that was only when the man was confronting either him or Sirius.

Harry watched the silent conversation take place.  Snape broke away first, brushing his hair back from his face and tugging at it in an uncharacteristic moment of visible frustration.

"You should not place so much responsibility on one person," Snape stated firmly.

"I've only done what is necessary.  I've tried to delay the inevitable as much as I could," Dumbledore responded, looking over to Harry.

Snape seemed to take this as a hint to remember that Harry was still in the room because he suddenly shifted the conversation back to the topic at hand.  "Since we have access to it, we should stick with the Basilisk venom to destroy the remaining Horcruxes."

"Are you willing to return to the Chamber?" Dumbledore asked Harry.

"Yeah.  I just wish I thought of it sooner," Harry responded.

"All that matters is we are one step closer to finding and destroying the rest of the Horcruxes," Dumbledore placated.  "You've been a great help.  Professor Snape and I need to discuss the details of our journey to Grimmauld Place.  Why don't you go down to the Great Hall?  Remus and Tonks should be there.  I believe the elves have begun to serve dinner."

"Okay.  Goodbye Professors," Harry answered as he all but dashed out of the Headmaster's office, hungry and excited to tell Remus the recent developments.

-333-

Harry's excitement was destroyed the second he stepped into the Great Hall and saw his dining companions.

"We're goin' home tonight!" Dudley exclaimed, shouting to Harry from across the hall where he sat, munching on a large chicken leg.

To Dudley's right sat Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon, both of whom glared at Harry as if the boy would disappear based on desire alone.  Sitting on the other side of the table a few places away from the Dursleys were Remus and Tonks, who had turned around to face Harry.

"That's great," Harry responded, uncomfortable with the dining arrangements but eager to be rid of the Dursleys for another year.

"Hiya, Harry.  Come join us," Tonks urged, scooting over so that Harry could sit between her and Remus.

As Harry sat, Remus patted him on the back and a full plate of food appeared before him.  Harry dug in, trying to ignore the other half of the table.  Unfortunately, his attempt at ignoring them was short lived.

"Mum and Dad promised me we could eat our last dinner here.  They never got to take me out to celebrate me passing all my classes so they're making up for it now," Dudley remarked.

"Too right," Vernon muttered.  "Your mother and I have a lot to be proud of, Dudley.  You've turned out great despite being forced to associate with Potter here."

Harry opened his mouth to retort but Tonks interrupted him as she knocked over his goblet of pumpkin juice.

"Oh, I'm so sorry!" Tonks apologized as both Remus and Harry jumped back to avoid becoming covered in juice.

"It's okay," Harry smiled as he vanished the mess, gaining a bit of satisfaction from the yelps of surprise as the Dursleys watched him perform magic.

Remus chuckled, "I don't think I've had a meal with you where you haven't spilled something."

Harry laughed along with him.

"Very funny, guys," Tonks smiled.

Harry tried to ignore the Dursleys as he went back to eating, making small talk with Remus and Tonks, but his curiosity got the best of him.

"I thought they would be here a few more weeks," Harry whispered to Remus, eyeing the Dursleys.

"The house was in pretty bad shape, much worse than Albus first believed.  There was a lot of fire and water damage, but that was fairly easy for us to repair.  Molly, Arthur, Bill, and Charlie were a big help.  Apparently the twins set the Burrow on fire or flooded their rooms on a weekly basis before they set up their shop," Remus smiled.

"The electrical damage was the hard part," Tonks added.

"We had to call in Muggle electricians to help us with that.  Charged us an outrageous price, but got the job done a few days ago.  Mundungus got replacements for Dudley's damaged electronic toys," Remus explained.

"Kingsley and I had a blast trying them all out to see if they worked properly.  Did you know they have simulated fighting games?  I can't beat him in a duel, but I kicked his arse on that video toy," Tonks laughed.

"I would have loved for the Dursleys to see that.  A group of wizards and witches touching their things and sitting on their sofa playing video games," Harry remarked smiling.

"Be happy they didn't.  If they saw what we did they'd never go back home," Remus smirked.

"Well, in that case, it's good that they're leaving," Harry added.

The conversation waned and Harry's thoughts continued to focus on the Dursleys.  He had grown up wanting their love, craving a warm hug when he was scared or just an ounce of the kindness they showered Dudley with.  He yearned for that perfect family, the mum and dad who he had in his dreams.  Instead, he grew to learn to comfort himself. 

Looking over to Remus, who was laughing at something Tonks said, he realized he was home.  He had friends who loved him, adults who protected him, and that was all that mattered.  He finally had the family he wanted, even if they weren't related to him by blood.  He wished every day that he had his mum, dad, and Sirius to confide in, but it was nice to no longer feel completely alone.

He was thinking a lot about family lately.  He worried about the Horcruxes and didn't even want to think about what might have to be done if one was buried with his parents.  Then there were the Dursleys.  He couldn't fully focus on the war against Voldemort when he was constantly reminded of what to look forward to back at the Dursleys next summer.  He just wanted to end the war so he could finally live his life.  When he saw the Dursleys, he was no longer the savior of the Wizarding World, but a lonely little boy.

Remus interrupted his musings.  "I take it you're ready to return home?" he asked the Dursleys, who were all standing in front of them, each with a small duffel bag over one shoulder.  Harry hadn't even noticed them get up.

"Obviously," Vernon snapped back.

Remus and Tonks stood.  "We'll walk you to the Headmaster's office.  You'll be home within the half hour," Remus explained.

The Dursleys started to walk towards the door, not sparing a glance at Harry until Dudley turned, "See ya, Potter.  Thanks for showing me around."

Stunned that his cousin was thanking him for something, Harry stared at him.  "Bye, Dudley," he responded.

"Don't you two want to say anything?  Your nephew saved your lives, after all," Tonks rebuked his aunt and uncle. 

"Potter," Uncle Vernon simply said, walking out of the Great Hall while tugging on Dudley's shirt sleeve, forcing the boy to follow him. 

Aunt Petunia remained behind, opening her mouth several times as though there was something she wanted to say.  He watched as she seemed to change her mind, whispering, "Be safe" as she, too, turned and fled.

Remus and Tonks followed, leaving Harry alone, lost in his thoughts about his family once again.

-333-

"Grab that bag and pack those vials in it," Snape told Harry as he went to his store room with Remus.

Harry had been finishing a late breakfast when he received a note from Snape telling him to bring his dragon hide gloves and meet him and Remus in the Potions classroom.  They were currently gathering supplies to take down to the chamber.

Remus and Snape exited the stockroom, each with a bulging kitbag. 

"Ready, Potter?"  Snape asked.  Harry thought he had been acting exceptionally eager this morning.  He hadn't made a single snide comment to him and quickly answered all of Harry's questions about the ingredients that he was packing.

"Yes, sir," he responded as he snapped his satchel closed. 

"Lead the way," Snape remarked as he opened the classroom door, standing back and gesturing for Harry to go before him and Remus.

Before leaving the room, Harry paused briefly to pick up his Quidditch broom, which he had laid off to the side when he first arrived.

"What's with the broom, Potter?  It will be too dark for flying by the time we finish harvesting ingredients," Snape informed Harry.

"It's not for Quidditch, Professor," Harry answered, glancing backwards to see that both men were following him.  "We need a way in and out of the Chamber, so unless you're a bird animagus, we'll need the broom."

Snape didn't comment any further and Harry didn't bother to turn around to see what the man thought about what he just said.  He was too busy beginning to dread returning to the place where he and Ginny almost died.  He wasn't anxious before, but the closer he got to Moaning Myrtle's bathroom, the sweatier his palms, clasped to his broom handle, became.

"In here," Harry announced, stopping before the second floor girls' loo.  With an encouraging look from Remus and an impatient glare from Snape, Harry took a deep breath and entered the room.

Thankfully, Myrtle was not present, so they didn't have to deal with her wailing.  The professors stood back as Harry circled the taps.  He paused when he found the right one.  His mouth was dry and he swallowed thickly before opening the entrance in Parseltongue.

As the pipes groaned and the fixtures moved out of place, Harry jumped back.  He felt a hand on his shoulder and looked behind him.  To his shock, it was Snape who was holding him back. 

Snape removed his hand quickly, moving in front of Harry and blocking his view of the now-open chamber.  Remus stepped forward as well and both men were peering into the open hole.  With a lit wand, Snape got to his knees and leaned over the opening. 

"Don't!" Harry shouted, grabbing the back of Snape's robes. 

The man stood faster than Harry thought possible, swinging around with his wand outstretched.

"What's gotten into you, Potter?" Snape questioned, his eyes piercing Harry's.

"It's just...It's a long way down, sir.  Not the best idea to lean over the opening head first," Harry stammered.

"How'd you get into the chamber last time?" Snape asked, tucking his wand away.

"Well, we sort of just jumped in," Harry answered sheepishly.

"Every time I think you might have potential, you open your mouth and tell me something utterly ridiculous," Snape criticized.  "How you and your little friends are still alive today is a mystery to me," Snape scoffed.

"Severus, why don't we focus on what we are doing today instead of rehashing the past?" Remus suggested, making eye contact with the professor.

That seemed to do the trick, because Snape eased up and stated, "Let's get down there.  Potter, give me your broom."

"No way," Harry snapped, adding, "Sir," quickly at Snape's furious expression.

"I don't want it broken.  I just got it back from Umbridge.  I'll take you and Remus down," Harry explained.

"Potter," Snape began to argue, but Remus cut in. 

"Harry's been down there before.  I think it would be best to trust him with this.  Shall I go first?" Remus asked.

"Okay," Harry responded, passing his potion bag off to Remus before mounting his broom.  "Climb on."

Remus didn't hesitate as he mounted the broom behind Harry.  He grabbed on to Harry's waist and descended into the dark entrance.

Seconds later, they reached the rat skeleton-laden ground. 

"Oh, Harry, this is worse than I thought," Remus said disgustedly as he stepped over bits of bone and fur.  "We should really add extermination wards down here before we leave.  I like most animals, but I think Peter tarnished my view on rats."

"It is gross.  Try sliding down and falling onto them," Harry joked.  "Thanks for sticking up for me earlier with Snape.  He brings the worst out in me," he added.

"Believe it or not, I think that he just regrets not always being able to protect his students.  When he hears of the dangerous things that you've done here, it worries him.  He may be harsh, but he takes his job very seriously," Remus explained.  "Speaking of danger, you probably should go get him now before he thinks something happened to us," Remus said with a smile.

"Be right back," Harry said as he was about to take off.

"No need," Snape said behind him, nonchalantly brushing off his robes.

"How'd you get down here?" Harry asked, stunned. 

"I have my ways," Snape answered slyly.  "And, no, I'm not an animagus, bat or otherwise, despite the rumors.  Now where's the basilisk?  We've wasted enough time already."

"Come on," Harry said, motioning for the two to follow him down a narrow tunnel.  He didn't think it was this small when he was there the first time.

Everyone was quiet, the sounds of bones breaking under their feet echoing on the damp rock walls. 

"Stop!" Snape shouted, halting Harry and Remus in their tracks.

"What is it?" Harry asked as Remus held his wand out, steadying himself for an attack.

"The skin, you idiots!  You're traipsing over shed basilisk skin.  Have you any idea the value of that?" Snape exclaimed, pushing Harry and Remus out of the way as he knelt down and opened his satchel.

"How can I help?" Remus asked, carefully stepping towards Snape. 

Harry decided it would be best for him if he just stood out of the way and let the others work.

"You can gather the sheets of scales that tore away from the main skin.  Potter, come over here and help him.  I'll handle the rest," Snape directed.

Harry watched as Snape flattened the contiguous sloughed skin, magically directing it into a wide beaker with a narrow opening and watching it coil up inside. 

They worked quickly, the sound of metal forceps tapping against glass vials echoing off the walls.  In less than an hour, they were finished and continued down the pipe towards the chamber entrance.

"Right up here the tunnel collapsed.  I might be able to squeeze through, but I don't think you two will," Harry explained, pointing to an area ahead of him.

"How did this happen?" Remus asked looking around as Snape was performing a series of spells on the ceiling and walls.

"Lockhart.  He tried to obliviate us with Ron's broken wand.  It messed up Lockhart's memory instead and the backlash caused the collapse.  Did you know that's how he managed to get people to believe he did all those adventurous things?  He was pants at everything else, but turns out he was brilliant with memory charms," Harry answered.

"I informed the Headmaster of my suspicions prior to Lockhart's hiring.  My concerns fell on deaf ears since there were no other alternative instructors," Snape explained.

Harry stared at Snape as the man preceded Remus through the now-stabilized tunnel.  He was speechless.  In the few weeks that he had been at Hogwarts, he was seeing another side of Snape and it was unsettling.  Where was the man who tormented him in class, ridiculing his abilities and mocking his parentage?  Snape wasn't exactly nice now, either, but he was doing a decent job at maintaining civility.

"Move along, Potter.  We don't have all day!" Snape barked a good distance in front of Harry, standing at a solid wall with two ornately carved snakes, each with a pair of emerald eyes that shimmered in their wand light.

"Coming," Harry called, walking faster before coming to a halt in front of the snakes.  He didn't think it would bother him to be down in the chamber, but he felt his heart beating out of his chest as he looked into the snakes' emerald eyes.  Taking a deep breath to calm himself, Harry swallowed.

"Open," Harry hissed, stepping back with the others as the snakes separated themselves to reveal two doors that parted open with loud creaks. 

Harry didn't want to show he was weak, so he marched right in, striding past the snake entwined pillars.

"Wow," Remus breathed as he looked around at the carvings.

Harry looked backwards and saw that both Snape and Remus's heads were tilted back, the men appearing to be in awe of their surroundings.

Harry stopped, waiting for the others before continuing.  He was already glad he wore his worst clothes, as his cuffs were already soaked and sweat was making his shirt cling to his chest.

Eventually, they came up to the basilisk.  Harry stared at its head, blood pooled around it and one fang broken.  It was so well preserved that it could have died just moments ago.  Harry was lost in thoughts about how he and Ginny almost died until Remus came up to him and laid a hand on his shoulder.

"I'm okay," Harry answered Remus's concerned glance.

Snape, on the other hand, was mesmerized.  "It has to be three times the size of the sloughed skin we collected!" Snape exclaimed as he slipped on a pair of dragonhide gloves before poking the snake with his finger.

"You killed this?" Snape asked, looking incredulously at Harry before turning his eyes to a scattering of blood on the floor.  Unlike the rest, this blood was dried and brown.

"What happened here?  Is this yours?" Snape asked as he pointed to the blood.

Harry shifted his gaze and Remus released Harry, stepping closer to the stain.

"Harry?" Remus asked with confusion and worry in his eyes.

Harry took a calming breath.  He really didn't want to relive it, but there was no way Snape or Remus would stop questioning him until he told them what happened.

"Yeah, that's my...my blood," Harry responded.  "Ginny was unconscious and Vold-Tom Riddle, or at least his horcrux self, was killing her."

Harry recalled the events from his second year, almost feeling the pain of the fang as if it had just happened as he explained.

"I thought I was gonna die," Harry whispered, remembering how scared he was. 

"I was feeling weaker and Tom was mocking me, telling me I'd be dead in a few minutes.  I...I just got tired of hearing him.  If I was going to die, his wasn't going to be the last voice I heard.  I didn't know it would work, but I was just so angry.  I stabbed the diary with the fang from my arm and destroyed the Horcrux.  Then Fawkes flew down to me.  He saved me," Harry explained.

Snape just stood staring at Harry, his eyes boring into Harry's.  Remus, on the other hand, looked shaken.

"Oh, Harry," Remus said sadly.  "You were just twelve!"

"Why didn't you tell someone?" Snape asked, his eyes feels as though he were looking straight through Harry.

"I did.  Ron and I went to Lockhart," Harry answered.

"Lockhart was useless and you knew it!  Why not your Head of House?  Hell, why did you not come to me?" Snape questioned.

"We heard him say he knew where the chamber was," Harry responded, leaving out that he didn't exactly trust Snape to ask for his help before. 

"Next time, come to one of us when you need help," Snape admonished.

Harry nodded, "Yes, sir," and realized his affirmative answer was true.  As much as he hated the man a few weeks ago, he now was learning to respect him.  No, he still didn't like him, but he did know that he could go to Snape for help.

Snape once again set down his bag, this time setting up shop in front of the dead basilisk's head.  Remus joined him and Harry hovered off to the side, kneeling next to Snape.  He was careful to avoid the dried blood on the floor, unable to avoid staring at it.

Harry saw Snape pull his wand out of his cloak and turned his attention to the man.  With a flick of his wand, he vanished the stain, removing the physical evidence of Harry's near death.

Harry was confused.  Snape went back to work setting out tools and vials as though nothing just happened.  Had he seen him staring?

"Potter, you and Lupin can start at the tail end.  Let me just prepare the carcass for dissection," Snape ordered, standing with a scythe.

Snape strode to its tail like Death himself, cloak billowing behind him.  He grasped the tail with a gloved hand and in one smooth movement sliced the snake along the belly, letting the tail fall to the stone floor with a squish. 

Harry made a face and looked over to Remus, who was looking just as thrilled at their new assignment.

"Oh come on," Snape exhaled.  "Put on some gloves and come over here to watch what I do," Snape instructed.

As they put on the protective gloves, Snape pulled a long tube with a huge needle on either end out of his bag and jabbed one needle into the side of the basilisk just below its head.  He took the other needle and punctured a sealed flask the size of a bucket.  It slowly began filling up with blood.

Seemingly unconcerned by the goriness of the task, Snape turned, waved his wand at the three of them, and their robes vanished.  With another spell Harry didn't recognize, their clothes shimmered.

"Protective spells just in case you come in contact with the venom.  It can be dangerous if it enters cuts or mucous membranes," Snape explained.

"Thanks," both Remus and Harry echoed.

"Now pay attention," Snape commanded.

He carefully demonstrated the dissection steps, separating the skin from the muscle and carefully collecting each bone.  After he watched both Harry and Remus give it a try, he left them and went to work on the basilisk's head.

Harry remained focused on his task, wanting everything to be precise.  He wasn't going to mess this up, especially since they were carving up one of the most important weapons they needed for the destruction of the Horcruxes.  However, after he filled his tenth jar and collected what seemed like his hundredth bone, Harry and Remus began to chat to break the monotony.

"You know, you never did tell me how you found out you could talk to snakes," Remus commented.

Harry looked over to Snape and saw the man pause for a moment before continuing his work. 

"I actually was at the zoo the summer before first year.  Mrs. Figg couldn't watch me, so the Dursleys were forced to take me along.  I was talking to myself in the reptile house and this great big boa constrictor answered me.  I was shocked!" Harry laughed.

"That was a pretty good day, though.  Dudley was being an arse, as usual, and I accidentally vanished the glass from the snake's exhibit.  Sure scared the pants of Dudley!" Harry smiled.  "I didn't learn it was a rare magical ability until second year when Ron and Hermione told me after the whole school saw me speak Parseltongue during Lockhart's dueling session." 

"I'm sure the Dursleys weren't too happy after that," Remus commented.

Harry shrugged, tossing a bit of tissue into a half filled jar.  "If it concerns me, they're never happy."

"Speaking of the Dursleys, how did it go with Dudley?  Did you have much trouble convincing your aunt to let him leave their rooms?" Remus asked.

"It could have been worse.  My uncle was at work and I left Dudley to badger my aunt to let him come with me.  A part of me was hoping she'd refuse, but it wasn't so bad.  My cousin was too excited about looking around that he was acting extra nice," Harry explained.

"That's good.  From what I've seen, he's a self-centered young man and I think his biggest skill is his ability to manipulate those around him to get what he wants.  Unfortunately, I doubt that talent will get him very far in life," Remus added.

Harry murmured in agreement.  Remus's words were the perfect backwards compliment for a boy who lived to torment others.  There was one thing that continued to nag him about that day, though it wasn't his cousin.

He didn't know how to broach the subject, so he figured it best to just come out and say it.  "You know what was weird?  When I went to get Dudley my aunt thought I was Snape in disguise."  

The sound of breaking glass and a muffled curse echoed throughout the chamber.  When Harry looked towards the noise, he saw Snape had shattered a jar he was holding, bits of glass littering the area around him.  It was gone in one flick of his wand, but Harry was surprised the normally steady man would be careless enough to drop something so important.

"Is my aunt thinking I look like you really that earth shattering?" Harry mockingly asked Snape.

"Keep quiet and get back to work!" Snape barked in his typical ‘I hate all things Potter' tone.

Harry shook his head and looked to Remus, who was looking at him as though trying to find Snape's features in his face.

After a minute, Remus whispered, "Her frame of reference for wizards is slim.  You do look different now.  Take in the dark hair and more of your mum's features and I can see how she would question your appearance."

"Makes sense," Harry whispered back in an attempt to not irritate Snape any further as he focused on the slimy skin in front of him.

A few hours later, all the supplies were packed and Harry and the professors were heading out of the chamber.  Nothing of the basilisk remained except for a few chunks of tissue damaged when Snape dropped his jar. 

The bags they carried were heavy and all three were panting and sweating by the time they reached the bottom of the pipe that lead up to Moaning Myrtle's bathroom. 

"I guess I'll take Remus up first," Harry commented as he mounted his broom and waited for the professor to join him.  Harry flew off with Remus and left him and both of their heavy packs in the bathroom.  

When Harry returned, he scooted forwards and motioned for Snape to climb on the back.  Looking exhausted, he didn't complain and did as Harry asked.

Once back in Hogwarts proper, they all headed back to Snape's lab.

"Careful," Snape admonished as Harry and Remus sat down their satchels on a work bench.

"We are, trust me," Harry responded.

He was tired, hungry, and in desperate need of a shower.

"So when will the potion be ready?" Harry asked.

"Tomorrow," Snape answered, already setting up his cauldrons.  "And tomorrow evening we go to Grimmauld Place," he added.  "Now, both of you leave me to work."

To be continued...
End Notes:
A/N: I hope you liked it! Let me know what you think so far. Your reviews have been so helpful!

Thanks to all of you that already reviewed or added this story to your alerts or favorites. I like knowing there are some people out there reading this and enjoying it as much as I enjoy writing it, even though I’m not able to update as quickly as I want to.

Updates on the progress of upcoming chapters can be found on my profile page at fanfiction dot net.

Coming up: Harry and others visit Grimmauld Place and search for the Horcrux.

Sorry for any possible formatting issues. This chapter was so hard to post!


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1582