Harry Potter and the Map of Discoveries by tatajess
Summary: When Fred & George stole the Marauder's Map in their first year, they didn't expect the secrets it would reveal years later. How will Harry & Snape adjust to the new discoveries & how will it effect the wizarding world? AU, canon through OoTP. SEVERITUS.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Professor Snape, Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape > Severitus Challenge Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Fred George, Remus
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, General
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 18 Completed: No Word count: 70746 Read: 102015 Published: 11 Jun 2008 Updated: 15 Jun 2011
Defense Against the...Snape? by tatajess
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: I'm just borrowing J.K. Rowling's magical world of Harry Potter. It all belongs to her.

Special thanks to my brilliant beta, boushh!

Harry watched as Snape walked towards the other chair in front of the Headmaster’s desk and slid it almost a meter away from Harry before taking a seat. Harry shook his head at Snape’s behavior and turned his attention back towards the Headmaster.

“Sherbet lemon, Severus?” Dumbledore asked as he popped one of the sweets into his mouth.

Snape merely shook his head once and silently waited for Dumbledore to speak.

The Headmaster crossed his hands and looked at both Snape and Harry over his half-moon spectacles. “I know the situation tonight was stressful, but I am appalled by the behavior of the both of you.” Harry saw Dumbledore’s expression soften. “I have enough to deal with without worrying about an attempted murder occurring in my office,” Dumbledore said, his eyes twinkling.

Harry sat on the edge of his chair, ready to spring out of his seat. “He started it!” Harry replied, pointing to Snape. “He insulted Sirius!”

Snape retorted, “I did no such thing! The boy overreacts! He obviously cannot control his emotions and acts before thinking, putting everyone else in danger.”

Harry roared, “It’s his fault Sirius is dead! He harassed him and made him feel useless!”

Before Snape could retort, the Headmaster raised his hand and growled, “Enough!

Both Harry and Snape grew silent. Harry was breathing heavily and saw that Snape looked just as furious. Without realizing it, Harry saw that Snape had his wand out and both he and Snape were standing next to their chairs, which had been knocked to the ground.

“Sit down,” Dumbledore said with force. Harry could feel the power radiating off of Dumbledore as he pocketed his wand, picked up his chair, and sat down.

“We cannot afford such petty enmity in our ranks! Severus, you are the adult here. I have watched you project your hatred of James and his friends onto Harry. I wish you could see past his appearance and realize that he is not his father.”

Snape looked furious. “Of course he’s like his father! He’s always breaking the rules, flaunting his arrogance and acting like a spoiled, pampered Gryffindor!”

Harry stood up from his chair and shouted, “Spoiled! Pampered! That’s rich. You were here! You saw just how my relatives pampered me over the years!”

Harry stopped, realizing what he just said. He sat back down and looked away to avoid the curious expression on Snape’s face.

Dumbledore sighed, “Harry, one of your best qualities is how you defend those you love. However, you have to learn when it is advantageous to do so. It is admirable that you would want to defend your godfather, but what good will come of arguing? You need to learn to control your actions and think before acting impulsively.”

He continued, “Sirius’s death is no one’s fault except Voldemort’s. He tricked you into going to the Ministry and it was his actions that ultimately resulted in your godfather’s death. I know you are upset, but you must realize that Sirius was a grown man fully capable of making his own decisions. No one forced him to leave Headquarters, including Professor Snape. As you know, the animosity between the two of them started long ago. While I am not condoning Severus’s taunting, Sirius was not one to hold back insults, either.”

Dumbledore sighed, looking old and tired. “Sirius was worried about you, Harry. Short of magically binding him to Grimmauld Place, I’m afraid there was little anyone could do to keep him from coming to your aid.”

“I know,” Harry muttered. “It’s all my fault.”

Dumbledore leaned forward. “What’s your fault, Harry?”

Surprised that he said that out loud, Harry looked up and replied, “Nothing. Sorry, sir, I was just thinking.”

Dumbledore looked like he wanted to continue to question him, but Harry was glad when he changed the subject. “I need the two of you to put aside your differences and work together. I’m not naïve enough to think that you both will become friends,” Dumbledore said.

His words caused Snape to snort and mutter, “Not in this lifetime.”

Dumbledore continued, “What I do expect is that the two of you will act civilly towards one another. You are both two of the most valuable people in the war against Voldemort and I will no longer tolerate this childish behavior.”

Harry felt embarrassed and noticed that Snape was staring at the top of the Headmaster’s desk, looking uncomfortable.

Dumbledore looked from Snape to Harry. “Gentlemen, do I have your word that you will both behave better in the future?”

Simultaneously, Snape and Harry replied, “Yes, Headmaster.” Harry and Snape looked disgustedly at each other, but Harry noticed the twinkle returned to Dumbledore’s eyes.

“Very good, very good!” Dumbledore exclaimed, clapping his hands twice. He continued, “Now onto more pressing matters. Severus, I told Harry about the horcruxes.”

Harry interrupted, “How could you tell him!”

Dumbledore replied with an air of finality in his voice, “Professor Snape’s help has been vital in helping to determine the location of the horcruxes.”

“Sorry, sir,” Harry replied.

“I understand, Harry. I know old habits are hard to change,” commented Dumbledore.

“As I was saying, now that Harry is aware of the situation, it is important that he receives training.”

“No,” replied Snape gruffly.

“Severus, it is not a request,” Dumbledore responded. “You are the best man for the job.”

Harry watched as Snape glared back at the Headmaster for a few moments, only to let out a deep breath and reply none too kindly, “Need I remind you how the last Occlumency lessons went?”

Dumbledore did not reply verbally, but Harry could tell by the way the two men were staring at each other that some type of communication was taking place.

Several minutes later, Harry watched as Snape grudgingly responded, “Very well, Headmaster.”

Confused, Harry asked, “What’s going on?”

Dumbledore turned to Harry. “Harry, Professor Snape, along with Remus Lupin, will be instrumental in training you in defense and Occlumency to be ready for what lies ahead.”

“No!” Harry shouted, mimicking Snape’s earlier outburst. “Can’t you or Remus teach me?”

“Harry, I have the utmost faith in Severus. He has knowledge of the inner workings of Voldemort’s organization that will be invaluable to you in the future. There are simply things that he can teach you that Remus and even I cannot. I am sure that the both of you can behave better than you have previously. I know I’ve failed you in the past, but you need to trust me on this, Harry.”

Reluctantly, Harry acquiesced, knowing that no matter how much he protested, the Headmaster would still insist that he take lessons from Snape.

“Headmaster,” said Snape. “To prevent a repeat of last year’s incident,” Snape paused, looking Harry in the eyes, “there are some rules Mr. Potter must follow. I will not tolerate insolence. He must show up on time, prepared for the day’s lessons, and follow all of my instructions. He is to respect my privacy, or I will be forced to cancel any further lessons.”

“Hey!” Harry interrupted. “If I have to respect him, he has to show me respect, too!”

Snape turned towards Harry and responded icily, “I give respect to those who have earned it. I will endeavor to treat you with respect as soon as you deserve it, though I can’t imagine that will be anytime soon.”

Remembering the promise he made to Dumbledore earlier, Harry decided to change his approach and responded sweetly, his words laced with sarcasm, “Why certainly, Sir, I wouldn’t have expected you to behave any other way!”

Snape glared at Harry as Fawkes flew off of his perch and landed beside the Headmaster. Harry watched as he nudged Dumbledore’s arm. “Thank you, Fawkes,” Dumbledore replied as he rubbed a finger along Fawkes’s head and glanced at his watch.

“Gentlemen, it is getting very late and I’m afraid that as much as I’m enjoying our conversation, I must insist that we retire for the evening.”

Dumbledore grabbed a potion vile and handed it to Harry. “Take this Dreamless Sleep tonight, Harry. I’m sure you could use it, especially after tonight’s close call.”

“Thank you, Headmaster,” Harry replied. “But where will I sleep?”

Dumbledore responded, “Harry, you may stay in Gryffindor Tower. In honor of the Weasley twins’ ingenious application of magical theory, the password is Portable Swamp. Good night, Harry. Severus.”

Snape nodded and replied, “Headmaster.”

“Night, Professor,” Harry said to Dumbledore as he followed Snape out of the office.

Harry trailed behind Snape and remained silent. As they both reached the stairs, Snape stopped abruptly and turned around.

“Potter. Report to the Defense classroom tomorrow at three. Do not be late,” he growled at Harry.

“Wouldn’t dream of it,” Harry smirked back as he continued towards Gryffindor Tower. Snape had already turned around and was descending the stairs. Harry sighed, “I can’t wait until tomorrow.”

-333-

Harry woke up late the next day. He didn’t bother to set his alarm and felt like catching up on some sleep. He yawned and stretched in his bed, doing an excellent impression of Hermione’s cat, Crookshanks. Harry’s stomach growled and he looked at the clock. Realizing it was nearly noon, Harry got up, got dressed, and made his way to the Great Hall.

As Harry approached, he could already hear the voice of his uncle, who had obviously already managed to find something to complain about. Harry, however, was not expecting what he saw when he entered. Professor Snape, Professor McGonagall, and the Headmaster were all present, as were all of the Dursleys. His aunt looked frazzled and Dudley looked a bit shocked, but it was Uncle Vernon’s appearance that caused Harry to burst out in laughter.

Uncle Vernon looked furious. He was covered from head to toe in various food items. Apparently, they would be dining on split pea soup that afternoon, as Harry could make out little bits of peas and ham in his uncle’s hair. He watched as the green liquid slid down Uncle Vernon’s face to pool onto the floor. Chocolate pudding was smeared on the front of his rotund belly and little specks of corn had worked their way into his moustache.

Everyone in the hall turned to look at Harry.

“Boy! This is all your fault!” roared Uncle Vernon.

Harry found it hard to be intimidated by the slovenly man, especially since he was standing in a room with his three professors.

“How could I have done this?” Harry asked, his voice still cheerful. “I just woke up.”

Professor McGonagall stepped in, “Mr. Dursley, as we’ve explained to you before, Hogwarts kitchens are manned by servants. These mistakes are quite common and easy to remedy.”

Harry looked questioningly at Professor McGonagall, who’s stern expression of warning told Harry to keep quiet. Harry knew that Professor McGonagall was lying since there had never been a similar incident in his five years at Hogwarts. If Harry did know that the elves were capable of such a display, he would have gotten Dobby to plan a special breakfast surprise for Draco Malfoy.

“I will not consent to you using any more magic on me!” Uncle Vernon declared.

Dumbledore interjected, “I assure you, Mr. Dursley, we can have your clothes and person clean in one second, if you would permit me to do so.”

Suddenly, Snape stepped forward. “Enough of this nonsense.” Faster than Harry thought possible, Snape drew his wand, pointed it at Uncle Vernon, and said, “Evanesco.”

For the first time in his life, Harry saw Uncle Vernon speechless. Dudley was standing with his mouth open, looking impressed, while Aunt Petunia looked envious. Harry would have been confused by her expression, but he knew that if his aunt had been magical like she had hoped, this would have been her favorite spell.

Aunt Petunia spoke up, “We’ve done everything that you’ve asked of us. If we have to stay here, from now on we’ll be eating in our rooms. I won’t let my family be subjected to any more of this unnaturalness.”

Uncle Vernon regained his voice, “Petunia’s right. We’ve sacrificed enough and I won’t stand for it!” Focusing on Dumbledore, Uncle Vernon continued, spittle flying out of his mouth, “You see to it that our meals are hand delivered to our rooms!”

Without waiting for a response, Uncle Vernon waddled over to Aunt Petunia and grabbed her hand. “Let’s go, dear. Come along, Dudders.”

Dudley trailed behind his furious parents, but stopped at the table full of food and grabbed a large portion of chocolate pudding and some biscuits on his way out.

Once the Dursleys had left the hall, Professor McGonagall complained, “Those people! They must be the foulest Muggles I have ever met!”

Harry saw that Professors Snape and Dumbledore looked to be in agreement. He spoke up, “Sir, what happened to Uncle Vernon?”

“That, Harry, is probably best explained by one of your friends. Dobby!” Dumbledore called.

With a crack, Dobby appeared before the Headmaster. Harry saw that Dobby was wearing less clothing, probably because it was summer. However, he still had on four of Hermione’s knitted hats, Ron’s sweater, Harry’s old black sock, and one bright yellow sock adorned with little flying snitches.

“Headmaster Dumbledore, sir, is calling for Dobby?” squeaked the elf.

Bending down a bit, Dumbledore said, “Yes, Dobby. I believe we all would like an explanation as to how Harry’s uncle became covered in our meal?”

Dobby looked around the room at the people gathered and Harry saw his eyes brighten and his ears perk up as he found Harry.

“Harry Potter, sir!” Dobby cheered, running up and attaching himself to Harry’s legs.

Harry wasn’t ready for the sudden attack and could barely follow the adoring elf’s speech.

“Oh, Harry Potter, sir, Dobby is so glad you is here! I is hearing you was almost attacked by He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named. Is you okay? I saws that those bad Muggles was here too. I had to do somethings. That big one with the hairy upper lip was talking bad things about Mr. Harry Potter, sir.”

Harry wrestled Dobby’s arms from around his legs and knelt on the floor so he was eye level with Dobby. He saw the three professors watching him.

“Dobby, calm down. What did you do to Uncle Vernon?” Harry asked.

Dobby quickly responed, “I only is making the food land on top of him. I didn’t want to hurt him, because the great Harry Potter is so kind and freed me and wouldn’t want me to hurt anyone, even if they deserves it. Harry Potter sir doesn’t even let Dobby punish himself when he does something wrong.”

Harry looked up at his professors. He wasn’t sure how to respond and was feeling a bit embarrassed by Dobby’s excitement. Harry saw Dumbledore nod and Professor Snape looking bored. “Well, Dobby, I know you’re just trying to help me, but next time, maybe you should come to me first.”

“Harry Potter sir is mad at Dobby?” Dobby asked, tears welling up in his eyes.

“No, Dobby,” Harry responded swiftly to stop the onslaught of tears. “I’m honored that you would want to help me, but you don’t have to worry about me. You could have gotten in trouble because of me.”

“Harry Potter is honored of Dobby?” the elf asked in awe.

“Yes, Dobby, Harry, I mean, I am,” Harry replied, somehow beginning to adapt to the elf’s way of speaking. He heard Professor Snape snort at his mistake and looked up to see the other two professors smiling at him.

“Thank you, Harry Potter, sir! Dobby promises to tell Harry Potter when Dobby is going to help.”

“I’m glad,” said Harry tiredly. The elf’s high enthusiasm was really tiring after a while.

Professor Dumbledore stepped in, “Dobby, I believe you were only trying to help Harry, so there won’t be any punishment.”

Sobering, Dobby bowed and replied, “Thank you, Professor Dumbledore, sir, you is a great Headmaster.”

“Thank you, Dobby,” Dumbledore said, smiling. “You may return to the kitchens now.”

With one last goodbye to Harry, Dobby disappeared with a crack.

“Well, what an eventful start to the afternoon!” Dumbledore stated happily. “Let’s eat!”

-333-

Harry kept quiet during lunch, avoiding the three professors and savoring both the food and the image of his uncle covered in food. After eating, he retreated back to the dormitory to look up a few spells before meeting Snape for his defense lessons. Harry opened his trunk, pulled out his book, Practical Defensive Magic and its Use Against the Dark Arts. Out of habit, Harry reached for his wand on his bedside table.

“Where...” Harry muttered as he looked on the table and around the floor. “No!” Harry breathed and dropped the book on the floor as he realized that George was the one to pack his trunk. Harry didn’t tell him about his hiding place under the floorboards.

Harry flung open his trunk and began tossing out books and clothing in a panic to find his wand, cloak, and picture album. Harry’s heart was pounding as he emptied the trunk of nearly all its contents.

“It’s not here,” he exclaimed, as he reached his arm in and began feeling along the edges of the trunk. Suddenly, his fingertips grazed a familiar piece of material.

Harry sighed and sat back on his heels. He rested his forehead on his arm, took a deep breath, and pulled out his invisibility cloak. Inside of the folded garment were his wand and his album, both of which fell to the floor with a loud thud. Harry quickly grabbed his wand and smiled as warmth spread upwards from his fingertips.

“Thanks, George,” Harry whispered, as he set the wand on his nightstand and surveyed the mess he made. Clothes, books, and papers were spewed in every direction and the contents of a tipped bottle of ink slowly traveled across the floor. Harry cleaned up the split ink and began gathering his books first. As he stacked them neatly back into his trunk, a glittering object at the bottom of the container caught his eye.

Harry gasped and reached into the trunk with shaky hands. He picked up the object that he now recognized as a shard from the two-way mirror that Sirius gave him to communicate. Tears welled in Harry’s eyes, but he quickly brushed them away.

Angered at himself, Harry moaned, “Stupid!” and dropped the piece of glass back into his trunk. With less care than before, Harry grabbed up his books and clothes and threw them into the trunk.

Harry couldn’t stop thinking about Sirius. Sirius was the first person he thought about when he woke up and the last thought he had before falling asleep. He missed him terribly and blamed himself for Sirius’s death, especially after the conversation with Dumbledore the day before.

‘What am I gonna do now?’ Harry thought to himself. He needed Sirius now more than ever, especially with the prophecy and horcruxes. Harry knew that Sirius would know what to do and Harry wished more than anything that he could have his godfather back to talk to.

-333-

By the time three o’clock came, Harry was fuming. He was angry at Sirius for leaving him, angry at Voldemort for ruining his life, and angry at himself for going to the Department of Mysteries. Harry banged on the door to the Defense classroom and opened it after hearing a silky, “Enter,” from the Potions Master.

As Harry slammed the door closed, Snape sneered, “My, my, someone has a temper today. You will control yourself in my presence, Potter.”

Harry looked up and glared at Snape, but did take a few deep breaths and did as he was asked.

“Potter, I hear that your best subject is Defense. Considering your performance in Potions, I fear that stories of your competence have been greatly exaggerated,” Snape remarked, twirling his wand in his pale hands.

Harry couldn’t help but reply, “I could say the same about you, sir.”

Snape’s arched his eyebrows and his hands suddenly stilled.

“Is that so, Mr. Potter?” Snape retorted. “I was planning on having you make a list of all the defense spells you already know, but I have a better idea.”

Harry’s previous anger quickly angered as he caught sight of an excited gleam in Snape’s eye.

Snape continued, “I think I can judge your abilities just as easily with a little competition.”

Harry swallowed, “A competition?”

“Yes, Potter.” Snape responded as he waved his wand and all of the desks were pushed up against the wall. With another wave of his wand, the floor under Harry’s feet became softer.

Snape crossed his arms and began pacing. “Here’s how it works. We’ll have an informal duel. You are to defend yourself against my spells however you see fit. You are not to initiate the use of any defensive spells, but will instead demonstrate how to perform a spell that I name.”

Snape stopped pacing and glared at Harry. “Any questions?”

Harry didn’t know what to think. It seemed that he’d be spending most of his time defending himself against Snape’s curses. Worriedly, Harry blurted, “No Unforgivables, right?”

Snape sneered, “No Unforgivables, sir. Of course not Potter! Use what little brain you were given.”

Snape pointed his wand at Harry, “Prepare yourself.”

Harry squared his shoulders and drew his wand just as Snape said, “Avis.”

‘Birds?’ Harry thought as he watched small blackbirds come out of Snape’s wand.

The birds did nothing harmful at first, but Snape suddenly said, “Oppugno,” causing the birds to begin to attack Harry.

He countered with a shouted, “Serpentsortia,” and Harry watched as his conjured snake nipped at the birds, causing them to fly out of a cracked window.

Snape banished the snake and looked towards Harry. “Sponge-Knees curse,” he told Harry.

Genu poriferans!” Harry shouted, aiming for Snape’s legs. To Harry’s dismay, Snape silently blocked the curse in midair.

“I see you did learn something from the werewolf,” Snape sneered. “Let’s try something a bit more difficult.”

The eager glint in Snape’s eyes made Harry nervous. He readied himself against Snape’s offensive curse.

Lasiorhinus!” Snape bellowed.

Harry never heard of this spell before. The spell was coming at him too fast for him to dodge out of the way, so he did the only thing he could think of.

Protego!” Harry countered.

Harry’s eyes widened as the spell penetrated his block and struck him in the face.

“Umph!” Harry moaned as he was thrown backwards due to the force from Snape’s spell.

Suddenly, he felt a weird scratching sensation in his nose. As Harry brought his hand to his face, he discovered the problem.

“Bloody hell,” Harry cursed as he felt hairs growing out of his nose. His nose hairs had now reached past his lip and he was now finding it hard to breathe.

Finite,” Harry said, pointing his wand at his face.

Unfortunately, the hairs continued to grow and were curling to reach past his chin.

“A little help!” Harry said a bit worriedly to Snape, who was watching Harry with an amused look on his face.

With a flick of his wand, Snape ended the curse, causing the hairs to fall to the floor.

“What was that?” Harry asked, standing up and rubbing his nose.

Snape replied, “It was a hairy nosed curse, obviously. And watch your language. I may not be able to take points, but I’m sure I could come up with an appropriate punishment.”

“Yes, sir,” Harry replied. “Can you show me the incantation again, this time without aiming at me?”

-333-

For the next two hours, Harry battled Snape’s spells. He was doing fairly well, as he didn’t have any injuries except for a torn toenail. Snape decided to curse Harry with a toenail growing curse that apparently worked even when cast on an opponent wearing shoes. Harry was tired and was unable to block the last two curses, causing his hair to turn gray and sphagnum moss to grow out of his forearms.

“Stop,” Snape said coolly.

Harry sighed and dropped to sit on the floor. He kicked off his shoe to examine his toe, ignoring his professor.

Snape repaired his robes, which had been damaged by a small fire when Harry mispronounced a spell designed to make one’s clothing disappear. Harry was attempting to distract him, but couldn’t form the words correctly while under Snape’s Lip Locker curse.

Snape repaired a few pieces of broken furniture and turned to Harry to cancel the two charms on Harry’s hair and arms.

“Thanks,” Harry said absentmindedly as he replaced his shoe. He looked up at Snape who was watching him with an inscrutable expression and Snape nodded.

“You performed better than I expected,” Snape told Harry. Before Harry could feel pleased with himself, he continued, “However, that isn’t saying much. The Dark Lord won’t be standing still waiting to be cursed. You even yelled your spells, Potter, giving me plenty of warning and time to defend myself. I can see that after five years you have yet to learn the art of subtlety.”

Harry responded angrily, “Well, you’re the one that came up with this competition. If you wanted me to attack a moving target, maybe you should have done more than just stood there, Professor!”

Snape scoffed, “Considering your aptitude in my class, I thought it best not to overtax your feeble mind.”

Before Harry could respond, there was a knock at the door.

“Come in,” Snape answered.

“Headmaster,” Snape greeted as Dumbledore entered the room.

Dumbledore looked a bit worried, which Harry never saw as a good sign.

“Did something happen? Is it Voldemort?” Harry asked quickly.

“No, Harry,” Dumbledore replied. “It isn’t anything that serious, but we do have a problem.”

Snape spoke up, “What kind of problem?”

Dumbledore said, “I need the both of you to aid in a search.” Turning to Harry, Dumbledore continued, “I’m afraid your cousin Dudley is missing.”

To be continued...
End Notes:
Please review.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1582