My Brother, My Hero by Jay-Birdy
Summary: On that fateful night that Voldemort tried to kill Harry Potter, one man lost the object of his affections but gained a family member.
Categories: Big Brother Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: General
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Baby fic, Child fic, Deaging
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 10 Completed: No Word count: 22262 Read: 49306 Published: 02 Jul 2008 Updated: 21 Mar 2010
Lily's Letters by Jay-Birdy
Author's Notes:
When brothers agree, no fortress is so strong as their common life.
-- Antisthenes

Most people would find it strange that a young boy was excited about cleaning up, but then again, Harry was an extraordinary boy.

He'd been ordered by his uncle to vacuum upstairs while his brother had to clean Dudley's room, with gloves on, of course. Dudley didn't want his toys contaminated by his freakishness. Harry had allowed himself a small laugh when he heard his brother, Hayden, mutter that he was only too happy to wear the plastic gloves as he didn't want to catch Dudley's fatness.

Harry was excited because if he was cleaning upstairs it meant he was allowed into Uncle Vernon's study and his Aunt and Uncle's bedroom, which he normally wasn't allowed in. Those two rooms held an air of mystery as all forbidden places do, and Harry couldn't wait to get in them.

The nervous hyper eight-year-old entered the bedroom that belonged to his aunt and uncle, that he was forbidden to set one toe in, or else.

And found it utterly disappointing.

It was just an ordinary couple’s bedroom, it had a large bed in the middle of it and a cupboard to the side. It had a bathroom attached to it as well but that was all. No great surprises or amazing things.

Sighing out his pent up excitement, Harry found a power plug for the vacuum cleaner and got to work. He'd just got to the under bed bit when he hit something with the head of the vacuum cleaner. Getting on his hands and knees, he went under the bed to investigate.

It was a shoe box, opened from where the vacuum cleaner had knocked its lid off. Harry pulled it out and had a small peek at its contents. It was just lots of letters and photos, Harry was just about to dismiss it when he saw the pretty red-headed lady in the photo move. Harry pulled the box onto his lap and studied the photo.

It showed a young woman of about 20 with red hair, she was smiling at him and really truly waving. It was amazing. It was the forbidden word-- Magic! Bound by curiosity, Harry kept looking through the box. The next photo was that of a wedding. It held the same woman and a black haired man as well.

He looked just like Harry.

"Dad... Mum," Harry murmured softly. Hayden. Harry just had to show him. He was about to bellow his brother's name, but realized that he'd draw the attention of the Dursleys as well. Harry gently traced his finger along the line of his father's features, thinking on how he could show Hayden the pictures, and maybe keep one for themselves without anyone noticing...


"Harry, we’re going to get in trouble." Hayden all but whined as he followed his adventurous twin brother into his aunt and uncle’s room.

"It's ok, Haydy, I planned it all out. We'll just have a quick look and then go back to our room before the Dursleys come home." Harry said with an air of confidence.

"Harry, that's not a plan, that's a half-cooked scheme!"

"Just come on." And with that Harry looked under the bed for the shoe box, feeling a hard corner, he pulled it out and presented it to his brother. Pride gleamed on Harry's face at the fact that his plan had worked so far. Normally his plans failed, that's why Hayden was planner and he the doer.

"Is this... Harry, is this our parents?" Hayden asked in awe as he held up the picture. Harry nodded a yes. "Harry, she's moving! The picture’s actually moving!" He exclaimed

"Yeah I know, weird huh?"

"More than weird... Our mum's very pretty, Harry. She had our green eyes," Hayden said softly and then frowned so that Harry knew was getting one of his special headaches, which hurt awfully. Hayden always said it was like his head was bursting with memories.

"Does your head hurt?" Harry asked needlessly, he knew it did. But he hoped Hayden would explain why. That maybe he remembered something of their mum. No such luck.

"A bit," Hayden replied. "But I'm fine, hand me one of the letters and I'll read it." Harry happily obliged. Whilst he could read, Hayden was just better at it. But that was okay because Harry was better at math and that way they could help each other. It was one of the many deals the twins had made.

"Dear Tuney," Hayden started out, he was putting on the voice that he used when he read out loud, low and deep.

"Tuney?" questioned Harry before his brother could go on, laughter was barely hidden in his voice. Tuney, what a silly name!

"Must be Aunt Petunia." Hayden explained. "Right, now if you'll stop interrupting?" Hayden said, giving his brother a mock scowl.

July 31, 1981

Dear Tuney,

Well today's the day! Little Harry finally turns one, and James was so excited for him that he woke the poor boy up at 6 in the morning! Anyone would think it was his birthday and not his son’s. Well I know for a fact that our neighbors think James is only one sometimes, like when they’re woken early in the morning by the sound of him shouting "Happy Birthday!" loudly.

As I'm sure you know, raising a little boy is quite a handful, but sometimes I feel like I'm raising two. I hope Dudley doesn't give you too much grief, how is he anyway? Perhaps one day we could meet up and let the cousins get to know each other. I would hate to think that they'd grow up not knowing about their relations.

Petunia, I really want to make everything right between us again. As you may know Voldemort is after us because of the Prophecy and there’s a chance that he might find us. If James and I die, heaven forbid, I want Harry to know about his cousin, aunt, and uncle. Harry will go to live with Sirius Black, but he could visit you sometime.

Remember the time you taught me to ride a bike, and every time I fell off you were there to catch me and tell me to try again, or the time we took Mum’s make-up and played dress-up with it and got in so much trouble, but you told Mum it was your idea so I didn’t get in half as much trouble as you did? I wish we could be that close again, like we used to.

I am sorry that we ever argued and I want to make amends, please?

Lily Potter

"Wow," murmured Harry. He now knew what his parents looked like, their names, and that they had loved him and Hayden.

"No, not wow," Hayden said.

"What you mean?"

"Harry, don't you get it?" Hayden asked his brother desperately, his green eyes filled with grief. His brother just frowned at him.

"What? There’s nothing to get."

"Yes, there is. I'm not mentioned. It's all about baby Harry's birthday. But I'm not mentioned. Where am I? It’s like I don’t exist!" Hayden explained to his less perceptive brother.

"But... You’re right!" Harry cried in alarm.

"I... I don't like it, can we go now?"

Harry nodded and placed the shoe box back under the bed. It was just weird with its waving pictures, talk of a prophecy and no mention of Hayden.

"We won't talk of it again," Harry promised his brother and led him out of their aunt and uncle’s bedroom.

And right into Uncle Vernon.

"What aren't we talking about, brats?" He asked nastily, the twins did a double take in shock. "Been sneakin' in my bedroom, huh? I'll show you!"

"No, sir!" Harry cried.

"Sorry, sir!" Hayden cried.

"Ungrateful freaks, after all I've done for you! Well, let’s get you reacquainted with the closet!" Vernon bellowed. His meaty hands flashed out like vipers and each grabbed a handful of scared Potter twin. He shoved them inside with a sharp smack to their behinds, cramming them into the tiny space like sardines.

The two boys barely fit in the closet. When they'd been four it was small enough, but now it was tiny. The door had to be held closed by a weight to keep the two inside. They waited in the quiet until they were sure Vernon was gone.

"I'm sorry, Hayden, I'm sorry." Harry said to his brother.

"Wasn't your fault. I just wish we weren't here." Hayden whispered back,

"So do I." Harry said and then felt an odd sensation. "Did you feel that, Haydy?"

"Yeah! I felt it when I said I wish I wasn't here." Harry nodded in agreement, then he felt it again. Like he was being pulled by his belly button.

And then they weren't there at all.

To be continued...
End Notes:
Sorry for the evil cliff-hanger, but it was of absolute necessity! I promise I'll make it all better next chapter, so you have to stay.
Please review, constructive criticism is welcome with open arms. After all it is the only way to improve.
Thanks, Jennifer.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1600