My Brother, My Hero by Jay-Birdy
Summary: On that fateful night that Voldemort tried to kill Harry Potter, one man lost the object of his affections but gained a family member.
Categories: Big Brother Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: General
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Baby fic, Child fic, Deaging
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 10 Completed: No Word count: 22262 Read: 49306 Published: 02 Jul 2008 Updated: 21 Mar 2010
Owls and Magic by Jay-Birdy
Author's Notes:
My brother helps me find my way, so I guide him on his.
Anonymous

When the Dursley house was plagued by owls it wasn't nearly the weirdest thing that ever happened within its walls. Not even near it.

Anyway, the point is that when the first owl came, no one thought too much of it. It was a normal morning, Hayden woke with the rising sun and then turned over to wake his brother who enjoyed sleeping in and denied him this joy. The two then trudged into the kitchen to cook breakfast, however this particular morning Petunia was dying Dudley's old clothes grey for their uniform. Harry stated it smelled bad and the two were promptly sent to sit outside the kitchen, they wouldn't be getting breakfast today.

With backs against the wall, the two contemplated with each other what their life would be like at their new school. Hayden was excited that they wouldn't have to purposely fail their classes just to make Dudley feel good. Harry was excited that they might be able to make a friend.

Click!

The mail slot opened and allowed the morning post in. Dutifully, Harry picked it up and was ready to give it to his uncle (perhaps if he sucked up he'd get breakfast) when he noticed that two of the letters weren't addressed to the Dursleys, they were addressed to Potters.

Harry gestured for Hayden to come look at the letters addressed to them. Exactly to them, one read:

Mr H. C. Potter

The Smallest bedroom

4 Privet Drive

Little Whinging

Surrey

While the other said:

Mr H. J. Potter

The Smallest bedroom

4 Privet Drive

Little Whinging

Surrey

"This must be yours, Hayden." Harry had said, handing the one addressed to H.C. Potter. "Because on those Medical Certificates that we had to give to the nurse at school for shots it said 'Hayden Charles Potter' on yours."

Hayden was just about to read the letter, his very own letter. But not for long, he had just started opening it when Dudley had come downstairs demanding his bacon and snatched the letter off him.

"What's this, Freak-Boy?" He'd sneered, "touching our mail?"

"It's mine!" half-shouted Hayden.

"Why would anyone want to give a letter to you?" Dudley ripped the letter up and then took Harry's as well after punching him in the stomach."Dad! Look at what The Freak-Boy stole!" Dudley called. Moments later they heard the staircase groaning under the weight of the boys’ uncle.

"What has it done now, Dudders?" Vernon huffed out, slightly out of breath from the long trip down the stairs.

"They've got letters! Addressed to them!" Dudley said, enjoying every moment of getting them in trouble.

"Rubbish." Vernon snorted, but took the proffered letter none the less. And then his face went very white. "Was their another one?" he asked softly.

"Yeah, to the other thing." Dudley replied, confused as to why his father cared. Normally he'd just smack his cousins and send them to their room. Not that them getting letters was normal. But that was the standard procedure for these things.

Vernon left the entrance hall containing his son and nephews and went into the kitchen, closing the door behind him. He didn't say anything. He just left.

Raised voices were heard inside, and the boys outside scuffled for the best listening post. Hayden had been allocated to peer under the door through a tiny slit. He could see Uncle Vernon's black shiny shoes pacing to and fro.

"We swore we'd stamp the freakishness out of them, Petunia!" Vernon's hushed voice said. "You said you didn't want them to end up like her."

"I don't! But... They know about them Vernon, I think they're following us, how else would they know that about them?"

"We could call the police."

"They have their own kind of police men, and they're horrible, Vernon. They steal children away and corrupt them." Petunia wailed.

"Lets just ignore it for now. They'll give up." Vernon said miserably, and a wailing sound could heard from inside. "Aw, now don't cry... it'll be fine, dear."

"B-but it won't. They'll die and before that they'll show Dudley and...and he'll be in danger from their people... It will be just like last time!" sobbed Petunia.

Slowly and quietly Hayden shuffled away from the door, he felt like he was eavesdropping. He was, but this just felt worse then normal. And raised far too many questions. Pulling Harry away with him, Hayden retreated to his and Harry's bedroom.


The next morning the twins got up very early and snuck down the stairs to the front entrance. They'd decided that if they did this they could wait for the mail to come they'd be the first to get it. And maybe, just maybe there’d be a letter for them.

Harry eagerly went forward, until he felt a yank, and slowly turned to find Hayden holding him back. "Hey!" Harry said crossly, and tried to pull himself free.

Hayden shook his head and pointed, Harry followed the line and realized he had almost stepped on Uncle Vernon! His large uncle was camped out next to the front door... He was waiting for their letters! Harry had to forcibly hold down his rage, and with one last sad look he followed his brother back up the stairs.

Later they could smell the smell of a fire, Vernon was burning the letters.

But that didn't stop them coming. Each day the number of them grew. Vernon even had to nail up the mail slot. On Friday, since their was no mail-slot 24 letters were pushed under the door. Vernon nailed that up too.


On Sunday morning, Vernon hummed happily and informed his family that it was a Sunday, and the post didn't come on a Sunday! Petunia looked worried for her husband’s sanity.

But obviously nobody had told the mysterious sender of letters that the post did not come on Sundays, as a flapping sound could be heard in the general direction of the fire place. With swoosh more than a 100 owls, yes owls (!!!), flew down it with letters clasped in talons. Letters came into the house through every available gap. For one comical moment Vernon eyes widened and his face purpled.

Then it ended and he was shouting. The twins traded glances, and followed their basic plan.

Ever since they were little the twins had a form of Plan B, that one of them would distract their oppressors for a moment, while the other used the time to fill out their needs. It worked with stealing food, sneaking into places they shouldn't go, and even throwing a punch at Dudley.

Now it was applied to Hayden visible taking a letter in front of Vernon, so that he'd try to wrestle it off the boy, while Harry snatching as many as he could subtly.

"Give it here, boy!" Vernon roared at Hayden and grabbed the black-haired youth in his meaty hands. Harry gave Hayden the signal, Hayden gave into his uncle and retreated.


"How did you go, Harry?" said Hayden, panting. Within the sanctuary of their room, Harry laid his loot down on Hayden's bed. 17. Harry had managed to get 17 of those letters! "Wow," Hayden breathed out in awe. Who could want to talk to them this much?

"Let's sort them out," Harry said practically.

There were 5 with a purple wax seal with a big "H" for Hayden, 7 of those for Harry too. But there was also 3 with a black seal with a "D"on it for Harry, Hayden got one too, and one with a pretty blue seal with a "B" for Harry.

"Okay... Lets open the "H" letters first." said Hayden and cracked one of his open, Harry copied his movements.

"Read yours out, Haydy," suggested Harry.

"Ok," Hayden agreed. He gently ran his fingers over its surface before he opened the envelope and read the letter within.

HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZADRY

Headmaster: Albus Dumbledore

(Order of Merlin, First class, Grand Sorc., Cf. Warlock

Supreme Mugwump, International Confed. Of Wizards)

Dear Mr H. C. Potter,

We are pleased to inform you that you have a place at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Enclosed is a list of all necessary requirements that are available at Diagon Alley.

Term begins on September 1. We await your confirmation by owl no later than 31 July.

Yours sincerely.

Minerva McGonagall

Deputy Headmistress

"Is it a joke?" Harry asked his brother, who looked equally puzzled at what he'd just read. Hayden shrugged, and then picked up the letter with the black seal.

"Should I read this one next?" He asked, showing it to his brother, Harry gave a tiny nod as confirmation. Hayden pulled the letter open.

"Hey!" he dried out in outrage. "It's in another language, German I think."

"Ignore it then. Try reading the blue one." Harry said and offered his letter to Hayden. Who opened the flowery seal.

"No luck here either, I can only make out 'Monsiuer Harry Potter', then it’s all in French." Hayden said, with sad disappointment.

"Well, we still have all these other letters, I don't reckon it’s a practical joke because it's been sent so many times and... Well weird stuff does happen around us, Haydy, maybe that’s what we are. Wizards." The word was foreign on Harry's tongue. Yes, Wizards. Magic and Witchcraft.... It would explain a lot.

"We can't be, Dursleys told us there’s no such thing as magic." Hayden then noticed the look Harry was giving him. "But then again, they are the Dursleys."

"Should we ask them about it? I mean now that we know will they keep trying to hide it?"

"Harry, remember the Dursleys number one rule? Don't ask questions. And they'll get mad that we opened them."

"You’re right... Of course you’re right, you’re always bloody right!" shouted Harry in frustration. "It's just, this is our chance to get out, to get away, and it explains everything... I want to belong somewhere, Hayden, and I never will when I'm near the Dursleys."

"Harry-" Hayden started to say.

"No, don't worry it's fine, its just... Fine."

Hayden watched his brother carefully, he could see how much this meant to him. And so, as any good brother would, he'd make sure his siblings dream of being free would come true. Even if it killed him."Well, let’s get an owl then," he said.

"W-what?!"

"It said it waited on our reply by owl."

"But it’s just some kid’s joke-"

"No, it’s not. I'm going to get you an owl, Harry, and then I'm going to get you to Hogwarts." Harry swallowed as his brother spoke those words. Because he knew it was true and Hayden would do anything possible to get him to Hogwarts.


Vernon was packing the car, (he had a plan to get out of here, go hide for awhile. Let the freaks try and find them then!) when the brat came to him. The one without a gash on his forehead, and the more silently brooding one. His eyes where full of fear. Good. He'd taught those freaks their place well. Vernon allowed himself a moment of pride.

"Sir," The boy said with fearful respect. There was something else. The brat wanted something! After all he'd done!

"What?" He growled, the thing flinched.

"I, err, um sir... I'm sorry! I opened the letter, it says I'm a wizard and I was wondering, see the thing is, being a wizard and all-" Vernon stopped the boys babbling with his self-righteous outraged yells.

"YOU DID WHAT?!"

"Opened the letter, sir, I'm sorry, sir!" The boy flinch away, hands protecting his face, and was sobbing with fear. Vernon felt only disgust for the pitiful freak.

Vernon thought quickly, if he just got rid of them, just made them go away, the letters would stop, they'd stop being a mess, Dudley wouldn't be at risk due to exposure to them... But how could he rid himself of them? If he let them go to the freak school and then... Then they could move! Leave the country, get fake I.Ds ...

"Alright. You can go to the freak-school." Vernon said as kindly as he could to the thing. It looked suspicious. Vernon rolled his eyes. "Do you think I want you around?" it seemed to accept this and nodded. "But you have to be on your best behaviour, and buy your own things!"

"Yes, sir!" It said happily and scampered off. Vernon watched it leave and continued packing the car. Petunia might not take this well, but it was for the best, for the best...


"Harry!" shouted Hayden excitedly, and Harry looked up from his place on his bed at his brother to greet his happy green eyes, identical to his own.

"What is it, Hayden?" Harry asked kindly, wondering if Hayden had come with a half-baked scheme to get them out of here.

"Vernon said yes! He agreed, we can leave –– only I . . .we pay our own way, I don't know HOW we'll do that but –– but –– It’s getting us out of here! Well, only for the school year, but still!" Hayden practically oozed excitement.

"Slow down, what’s happened?"

"We can go to Hogwarts! Uncle Vernon has let us!"

"Really?" asked Harry, unable to believe his ears. "But... How?!"

And with that Hayden spent the whole afternoon telling his brother what happened, what was happening and what he planned to do next. He spoke of leaving, becoming great wizards and never having to be imprisoned again.


Mrs. Figg watched as Harry Potter (also known as the Boy-Who-Lived and by others the Golden-Boy), and his shadow, Hayden Potter (also known as the Half-Souled-Boy and by others as the Shadow-Child), sat on the curb of the street and discussed their plans. They weren't very quite or subtle. She learnt that they needed an owl to send a response with. The Dursleys had taught them nothing about magic.

Mrs. Figg gently stroked the ginger tom she was holding and then retreated inside her house to floo Albus. She'd get him to send an owl along, perhaps as a gift. They'd love him forever if he did that she suspected.

Her life as Albus's eyes went on.


A great horned owl tapped its beak on the twins’ bedroom window, it had a letter clasped in its talons and proffered it to the boys as they opened the window. Hayden gently took it out of the bird’s claw and opened it at Harry's gesture.

"Shall I read?" Hayden asked nervously as he gripped the yellowish colored parchment. Harry rolled his eyes at his brother.

"You always read, don't break tradition!" Harry said in mock frustration. Hayden poked his tongue out at his brother and read.

Dear Harry and Hayden,

It has come to my attention that you were raised without knowing of your magical heritage. And so, I have sent you this letter and owl. His name is Bertie Botts, Bert for short. In addition, I will send a friend of mine to help you collect your things on your birthday.

I hope Bertie Botts serves you well.

Albus Dumbledore

Headmaster of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

(Order of Merlin, First class, Grand Sorc., Cf. Warlock

Supreme Mugwump, International Confed. Of Wizards)

To be continued...
End Notes:
That took way longer than it should of, sorry about that!

Please review, constructive criticism is welcome with open arms. After all it is the only way to improve.

Thanks, Jennifer.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1600