Where Shadows Go by Snapegirl
Summary: Prequel to Never Again. After the death of her husband, Lily Potter must begin her life anew, along with her son, Harry. Can they find comfort and solace with Master Healer Severus Snape? Or will old wounds from past and present keep them apart?
Categories: Parental Snape > Stepfather Snape, Healer Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Lily, Original Character, Remus, Sirius
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Child fic, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Character Death, Physical Punishment Spanking, Profanity, Romance/Het, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: Never Again!
Chapters: 31 Completed: Yes Word count: 120929 Read: 170338 Published: 03 Jul 2008 Updated: 29 Nov 2008
Ringbearer Disaster by Snapegirl
Author's Notes:
Little Harry loses the rings for the ceremony!
Will a disaster occur? Or can Sirius save the day?

August 10th, 1982:

Today was the big day, Lily thought, as she rose from her solitary bed and drew herself a peach and mango scented bubble bath, a luxury she rarely allowed herself, but on this day, her wedding day, she would indulge herself in all the sinfully rich little pleasures she had denied herself since becoming a mother with an especially active child. She would wait for her mother and Alice to come over before fixing her hair and getting dressed, for such was the privilege of the mother and best friend of the bride. It would also have been the privilege of the sister of the bride, had Petunia consented to come to the wedding. But her sister sent back a reply that she would not be attending, and a note that expressed her disbelief that Lily would lower herself to marry that scummy low-life son of a drunkard, Severus Snape.

First that arrogant ass Potter and now the street brat Snape? My dear sister, if you HAD to marry one of your own "kind", why couldn't you pick someone with a decent background? Do you forget where Severus Snape CAME from? He's no better than gutter trash, even if he is a doctor now. Honestly, Lily Ann, I'd have thought you over such schoolgirl romances by now, and ready to use some common sense when you chose your next husband. Oh well, I suppose there's no accounting for taste and I wish you joy in your new . . . Marriage, and pray that your husband does not turn out like his bum of a father.

Best Wishes,

Your Sister,

Petunia

 

Lily hadn't really been surprised at Petunia's letter, her elder sister had always loathed the friends Lily had made at Hogwarts, in particular Severus, though Lily often wondered if petunia hated him more for being poor or for having magic. For that was Petunia's secret longing, to have the magic that Lily had, and she was vilely jealous of her baby sister and her best friend for having a power she would never possess. Lily discovered that when she found a letter from Dumbledore in Petunia's room, thrown under the bed, explaining that only those who were born a witch could attend Hogwarts. Lily had been looking for a pair of shoes her sister had borrowed and found the note instead. Still the old vendetta, eh, Tuney? One would think you'd have grown up enough by now to accept what is and live and let live. But no, you keep the old grudges alive and refuse to let them die. She turned off the tap and prepared to slip into the scented steamy water. So be it. I suppose I ought to be grateful that you aren't attending the wedding, your sourpuss expression would put everyone off their dinner.

Yet a part of her was sad, that her sister had not seen fit to attend any of her weddings, nor even send a gift. Lily had gone to the church when Petunia was married and sent the couple a very nice album to put their wedding photos in.

The red-haired witch shrugged and stepped into her bath, determined not to dwell on Petunia and her scruples any longer. She sank up to her chin in the heavenly scented water and closed her eyes. Ah, now this was the life, a nice hot peaceful bath, to soothe and delight the senses. A perfect start to a hopefully perfect day . . .and night. She inhaled the heady aroma of summer peaches and tropical mangos and thought that by this time tomorrow she would be Mrs. Snape and have a husband beside her who would actually be home more than he was away, a novelty in her experience.

Lily ran a soft sponge over her shoulders, and smiled, imagining Sev's hands instead, and chuckled naughtily. For shame, Lily Ann! her conscience rebuked. You've not even said your vows and already you're thinking of hauling Sev off to the bedroom. But then again, who could blame her?

* * * * * *

 

At the same moment, Master Healer Snape was also awake, performing his morning ritual in a casual fashion that belied the trembling in his limbs and the churning in his stomach. Pre-wedding jitters, he thought it was called, though never in a million years did he ever think he would fall prey to them. Yet he was as nervous as a schoolboy awaiting a summons to the Headmaster's office for some misdeed. His brain entertained visions of himself standing at the altar and Lily vanishing into thin air, or never showing up at all. Don't be ridiculous, Snape! Lily would never jilt you, she accepted your proposal and she loves you, she would never hurt you that way.

Logically, he knew he was right, but the part of his brain that had been nurtured on Tobias's red rages and broken promises wailed that he must be careful, for sometimes the one you trusted most could also hurt you the most. He quickly finished shaving and then stepped into the shower, scrubbing vigorously. White pine and sandalwood fragrance drifted about him, and he breathed in their refreshing and relaxing scent, imagining Lily walking towards him, her bright hair haloing her heart-shaped face and causing his heart to skip a beat.

A part of him was still astounded that she had said yes to his fumbling proposal, and that by this time tomorrow she would be his wife and he would no longer sleep alone. He wished suddenly that his mother had lived to see this day, the day when her son married the love of his life. Eileen would have been so happy that her bachelor son was finally settling down and having a wife and hopefully some other children as well, though Severus would always love Harry like his own. He had already signed the preliminary papers to adopt Harry.Sev, quit woolgathering, for Merlin's sake! Look at you! Thinking about kids when you haven't even gotten past the ceremony yet. Although I wouldn't mind seeing Lily in nothing but her hair tonight . . .he quickly doused that line of thinking and continued washing his hair, humming happily to himself. Remus would be arriving in another hour to bolster the confidence of the groom, while Sirius would be heading over to Lily's place to help Harry get dressed in his first set of formal wizarding robes, since the little imp was the ring bearer for the ceremony.

It was not going to be a lavish affair, just a small gathering of family and friends, mostly wizards, though some Muggle relatives of Lily's had been invited. Severus was just as glad, he had always hated pomp and circumstance, and at least Petunia had declined an invitation, Severus was just as glad not to have her pinched face glowering at him in disapproval. The only thing worse than Petunia at the reception would have been Tobias.

He unconsciously suppressed a shudder, for simply thinking of the man was libel to bring on a flashback, but he banished his father from his mind and reminded himself that he was an adult and about to be married and the old tyrant had no power over him any more. The old life was done, and a new one begun, he told himself firmly. And like a snake shedding his skin, he would leave it behind without regrets.

* * * * * *

 

Two-year-old Harry Potter woke to something tickling his bare foot. He opened his eyes sleepily, clutching his favorite stuffed dragon, Smokey, and saw his Uncle Sirius standing at the foot of his little bed, holding a quill in his hand. "Padfoot?"

"Rise and shine, scamp! Today's the big day, kiddo!"

Suddenly Harry was wide awake. "I carry the rings today!"

He had been practicing for months, holding the pillow straight with the pretend rings on it, walking slowly and carefully, which was quite hard to do, since he liked to run everywhere, making sure the rings didn't slide off. His mummy and Sevvy, who was now going to be his daddy, had explained he had an Important Job to do, bringing the rings to Uncle Al during the ceremony. Harry was very proud of his job, for once they were treating him like a Big Kid and not a little baby.

He threw off his covers. "Okay, Uncle Sirius, I'm ready! Where's the rings?"

"Whoa, little buddy! Slow down, the rings are safe. But first we need to get you washed and dressed, all right?"

"Okay!" Harry scrambled off the bed and into the small bathroom.

Sirius helped the little boy scrub the sleep from his eyes, wash his face and hands, brush his teeth, and use the potty. But when he would have put a fresh nappy on him, Harry refused.

"No! I'm a big boy now. Wear pants," he pointed to a drawer, where his brand-new underwear was.

Sirius was skeptical. "You were wearing a nappy when you went to sleep," he began.

"At night. But not now." Harry insisted. ‘It morning time and I wear pants like a big boy."

Sirius thought for a minute. The ceremony was rather long, and he doubted if the child could control his bladder, and he didn't want Harry to have an accident and embarrass the heck out of himself. But neither did he want to waste time arguing with a two-year-old. So he pointed his wand at a pair of underwear and chanted a quick Absorbency and Waterproof charm, making the underwear almost like a pair of Muggle pull-ups. They wouldn't feel different, but they'd prevent any embarrassing episodes.

"Okay, Harry. Pants it is," Sirius declared, and helped him put them on.

Then it was on to the next dreaded task, making Harry's hair lie flat. But after ten minutes of combing and wetting with no success, Sirius cheated and used a Straightening charm. "There! That ought to do it." He scooped up the little boy and brought him back into the bedroom, where he started to get Harry dressed in a pair of slacks, a dress shirt and his new robes, which were a dark hunter green with white trim, and new shiny boots.

"Now I look like a growed-up, Padfoot," Harry told him seriously.

"You sure do," chuckled his uncle. "Let's have breakfast and then I need to put on my robes."

"Where's Mummy?"

"She's with Aunt Alice and your gran, getting dressed in her robes, well, kind of," Sirius explained, for though Lily did have a pair of white dress robes, she would be wearing, she also had a smashing dress as well.

Harry happily ate toast and cereal, careful not to get crumbs on his new robe. He glanced about for his special satin pillow, it was nearly the same color as his outfit, and saw it sitting on the couch, next to the practice pillow. The practice pillow was white, and had the fake rings sewed on it, while the real one had the golden ones.

Harry bit his lip nervously. He had never practiced with the real ones. What if they were different and he dropped them? "Padfoot, I got to pactiss."

"Huh?" Sirius was hunting frantically for the envelope with his bank note in it. "Now where the bloody . . ." he trailed off just in time, recalling Lily's distaste of cussing in front of her son.

"With the rings, Padfoot." Harry explained patiently. Sometimes growed-ups were a little slow.

"Yeah, sure," Sirius muttered, swearing a blue streak under his breath. The envelope wasn't here. It must still be on the kitchen table, where he'd left it last night. "Harry, hang on for a minute, I forgot something. I'll be right back."

"All right."

Sirius disappeared and Harry was left standing near the couch, looking at the pillows and trying to decide if he ought to practice a little with the real one. Sevvy had told him not to touch the real rings without asking a growed-up first, but Harry had asked Sirius and he had said he could practice, so nobody would get mad if he touched the green pillow.

He carefully picked up the green pillow and held it in front of him, walking about the den. But the den wasn't long enough, and then Harry remembered practicing outside in the yard along the walk. He stood up on tiptoe and unlatched the back door, then took the pillow and the rings outside.

He spent ten minutes marching up and down, carrying the pillow with the precious gold rings. He soon found it was a little hard to walk in his fancy robes, he kept stepping on the hem and tripping. Once he landed in the grass, and quickly jumped up and brushed himself off. If he got dirty, Mum would yell.

Finally, he learned how to take small steps along the walk, so he didn't trip and was pleased that he had thought to practice first. Unfortunately, he didn't notice that his last tumble had loosened the stitches the rings were bound with, and as he made one last circuit of the yard, the stitches snapped.

"Harry? Where are you?" he heard Sirius calling. "It's almost time to go, buddy!"

"Coming!" he yelled, then tucked the pillow under an arm so he could run up the porch stairs.

Unnoticed, the two rings fell off and rolled down the walk to lie in the grass, forgotten.

* * * * * *

 

The adults were in such a hurry to get to the ceremony that no one thought to check the pillow Harry was clutching to him, they simply noted it was the real one and picked the child up and Apparated with him to the great lawn in front of Hogwarts, where Albus Dumbeldore would perform the binding ceremony.

The ceremony would be observed only by close friends and family, the only Muggles present were Vi and Hal. Dumbeldore had chosen to hold the ceremony along one of the broad pathways leading to Sprout's greenhouse, for the trees along the walkway were blooming with pretty pink and white blossoms during the summer and they arched pleasingly over the path for some of the way. He had erected a large white wooden arch, and encouraged climbing roses to twine about it, that was where the couple would stand while he performed the binding.

The old wizard was quite happy to perform the ancient ritual again, he was dressed in his best silver and gold robes, the ones he only wore on this sort of occasion, and he was happy that his former students had finally made up their minds to marry. They both needed each other desperately.

Severus and Remus arrived first, along with a few other guests, like Molly and Arthur Weasley. Severus looked exceedingly sharp in his dress Master Healer robes, with the double braided trim along the collar, hem, and sleeves of real gold thread and brilliant emerald thread, which only a wizard with two masteries was allowed to wear. He also had a gold chasuble about his neck to signify he had graduated with honors from medical school. Underneath the fine robe were slacks and a tunic of a pearl gray and white leather boots.

"Hello, Severus! You look simply smashing, my boy!' Albus said, smiling happily.

"Thank you, Albus." Severus replied, fighting the urge to pace around like a caged lion.

"You're not, uh, what's that Muggle expression again?" Albus scratched his beard. "Oh, now I remember! You're not getting cold feet are you, Severus?"

The Master Healer shook his head. "Not on your life, Albus. I am quite content to let my bachelorhood come to an end and marry Lily."

"And be a father to Harry?"

"That too." Severus agreed, looking up and down to see if Lily, Alice, and Vi had arrived yet. It was not quite ten o‘clock in the morning, so they still had time.

"Relax, Sev. Before you wear a hole in the lawn with your worrying," Remus teased. He was wearing his dress Auror robes, with the gold trim on the red cloth, denoting he was a senior member of a strike team. "Lily's not likely to be late for her own wedding."

"I know, Moony, but I hate waiting," Severus muttered. "And where the devil are Sirius and Harry?"

"They'll be along too," Remus soothed. "Sirius probably forgot something or was late getting there and now he's running late. But they'll make it, after all, we can't do the ceremony without the ring bearer and the second witness."

Severus ground his back teeth together. Remus was right, but he detested waiting, it was one of his biggest flaws. He tucked his hands inside his sleeves and stamped upon the urge to pace around and around like a demented wind-up toy soldier.

Just then, more guests began to arrive and so did Sirius and Harry. Severus breathed out sharply, at least Padfoot had managed to get Harry dressed properly and hadn't forgotten the pillow with the rings. As if Harry would've let him, a part of his mind whispered. He probably would have slept with the pillow if Lily had let him. They had both taken turns explaining about the marriage and how Severus was going to be Harry's new daddy, since James was now in heaven with the angels. Harry had seemed to take it in stride, he was especially excited that Sev was going to live with them now, so he could see the Healer all the time. Though Severus wondered how glad he would be the first time Harry got into trouble and Snape punished him for it. But he would cross that bridge when they came to it.

Gasps of awe and envy and longing were heard, and Severus turned about to see what all the stir was about, to behold his beautiful flower coming down the walkway towards him. Hal was beside her, escorting her to her final destination, that of the altar where Severus waited. Alice, as her "lady-in-waiting", followed them. She was also wearing Auror robes and looked beautiful, but Severus only had eyes for Lily.

Lily's dress, beneath her spotless white robe, was a silver and white affair that a princess would have envied. It came down to her feet and was made of silk and soft cotton sewn with dozens of crystals that glittered every time she moved. The bodice was lined with a bit of ermine and about her slender neck was a rope of heirloom pearls, they had once belonged to Vi's grandmother, and had been handed down from mother to daughter, along with a pair of earrings. But the earrings Vi had given to Petunia, and the necklace to Lily.

But Lily's crowning glory was her hair, the fiery auburn tresses, gathered up and piled atop her head, held in place by several sparkling silver combs, though some was left free to tumble heedlessly down her back. She was breathtaking, and she smiled and waved at the guests as she passed, and blew a kiss to her son as well.

Then she turned her eyes to her new husband, and her face lit with an incandescent joy so great that Professor's Sprout, McGonagall, and Sinistra had to wipe tears from their eyes. If there had ever been a doubt that Lily loved Severus, it was banished when you caught the look upon her face, a joy so indescribable, so consuming, that she glowed, and it was all directed at the tall wizard in dress whites.

Severus gazed at her as well, and in his own eyes burned a twin expression, as well as amazement that this was truly happening and not simply a wishful daydream.

At last the three reached the altar, and Hal kissed Lily before giving her hand to Severus and stepping away. "Take care of her, Sev."

"I will, Hal." The other promised, his hand clasping Lily's protectively.

They turned to face Dumbeldore, who had lifted his arms for silence, then began to speak. "Today we are gathered here to celebrate the joining of two special people, Lily Ann Potter and Severus Tobias Snape. . . "

Harry fidgeted, Uncle Al sure could talk for a long time, and he wished he would hurry up and get to the part with the rings, so Harry could bring them to him, his hands were growing sweaty and he had to set the pillow down to wipe them on his trousers.

"Relax, kid, your part's coming up soon," whispered Sirius. Normally he would be standing beside Severus to witness the vows, but someone had to watch Harry. "Make sure the pillow's straight and in front of you so the rings don't . . ." he trailed off in horror as he noticed that the pillow was missing the rings. "Harry, where are the rings?"

"They're on the pillow, Padfoot!"

"No, they aren't," Sirius said, a note of panic in his voice. He knelt on the ground to search for them, perhaps they had come off when Harry set the pillow down.

Harry gasped, feeling as if the world had suddenly ended. The rings, his Very Important Job, he was supposed to watch the rings and now they were gone! "Oh no! Uncle Sirius, what do we do? I'm sorry!" Tears welled in his eyes and he started to cry.

"Hey, don't do that," Sirius said quickly. "We'll find them." he felt along the ground, ignoring the odd stares he was getting from some of the guests. But he was running out of time, Dumbledore was already binding lily and Sev's wrist with the traditional green and gold ribbons, and if the rings were not presented promptly, the whole ceremony would be ruined.

"Harry, can you tell me where you were with the pillow? Besides here, I mean?"

"Uh . . .I was at home."

"Where? When you picked up the pillow to practice with it, where were you?" Sirius queried, a note of desperation in his voice. Harry hesitated. "Come on, kid, think!" he ordered, feeling like he was grilling a suspect.

‘"Uh . . .I know . . .I was . . In the backyard!"

"Good. Then we'll look there. Where were you in the backyard?"

"I was practicing walking up and down on the path," Harry answered. "And I fell, so maybe that's where they are."

"Yes. C'mon, little buddy. We've got five minutes to turn this disaster around." He picked up Harry, who squirmed and announced that he had to go potty, which was true, the drama was affecting his bladder, and Apparated back to Lily's house.

"Padfoot, I really gotta go," Harry whimpered as soon as they appeared inside.

"Go, quickly. I'll meet you out back, okay." He set Harry down and then darted out the back door.

As soon as he had stepped onto the porch, he cast a Summoning charm, and the rings flew out of the grass and into his hand. "Oh, thank you, Merlin!" he heaved an enormous sigh of relief. "Severus would have chopped me into bits and Lily would've kicked my arse if I had really lost those rings." He turned towards the door. "Harry, I found ‘em! Let's go, scamp."

Harry emerged a few moments later, and Sirius quickly fixed his robes and wiped his face, then he picked up the toddler and Apparated back to the lawn at Hogwarts.

They arrived just in the nick of time, Sirius quickly stuck the rings on the pillow with a temporary Sticking charm, it would wear off in about a minute, and then gave the pillow to Harry. "Okay, Harry, you're on!"

Harry took the pillow carefully and held it, waiting for Uncle Al to say, "And who brings the rings to join this couple in matrimony?"

Just then Uncle Al said that and Harry cried, "I do!" amid a round of smiles and "Aww, isn't he precious!"

Harry began to walk up the long walkway to the place where Uncle Al and his mother and new daddy were. It seemed to take forever, but Harry didn't mind. He had the rings back and everything would be all right now.

When he finally reached the growed-ups, he was feeling a bit tired, carrying the rings was hard work! "Here they are, Uncle Al!" he announced, holding out the pillow with the glittering gold circles.

"Thank you, Harry," Albus said gravely, his eyes twinkling. "You did a wonderful job, ring bearer."

Harry grinned. Then he turned and walked over to where Uncle Remus was standing, and watched as Uncle Al put the rings on his mother and new father's fingers and waved his wand over them. "In the name of the elements and the good forces of the earth, by the Light of true magic, love, and hope, I bind you, one to the other, for all the days you shall live. What I have joined, let no one pull asunder!"

A white light twined about Severus and Lily's clasped hands and sealed the vows they had made, to love and cherish, honor, and protect, binding them by magic and will, heart and soul, for the length of their days.

Then Uncle Al tugged on Severus's wrist and on Lily's, to show that the binding was true and a great cheer went up from the guests as they saw that the two were well and truly bound for all of time.

Harry was jumping up and down and yelling, Remus picked him up and set him on his shoulder. "Well, imp, that's it. Your mum's married and Sev's your new dad. How do you feel about that, Harry?'

"Good." Harry replied.

Sirius joined them and Remus remarked that was one of the smoothest bondings he'd ever attended. ‘I mean, usually something goes wrong at the last minute, y'know, and it's delayed, but this one went off without a hitch. Absolutely amazing, eh, Padfoot?"

"Very," Sirius replied, and winked at Harry, putting a finger to his lips. Thank Merlin no one would ever know how the ceremony had almost been a disaster. All's well that ends well, to quote a famous Muggle playwright, Shakespeare, the Auror grinned, and ruffled Harry's hair.

The End.
End Notes:
Well, how did you all like the ceremony?

Let's all raie a glass of champagne or your preferred alcoholic beverage, in a toast for Lily and Sev's wedding.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1602