Where Shadows Go by Snapegirl
Summary: Prequel to Never Again. After the death of her husband, Lily Potter must begin her life anew, along with her son, Harry. Can they find comfort and solace with Master Healer Severus Snape? Or will old wounds from past and present keep them apart?
Categories: Parental Snape > Stepfather Snape, Healer Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Lily, Original Character, Remus, Sirius
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Child fic, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Character Death, Physical Punishment Spanking, Profanity, Romance/Het, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: Never Again!
Chapters: 31 Completed: Yes Word count: 120929 Read: 170336 Published: 03 Jul 2008 Updated: 29 Nov 2008
House Call at Hogwarts by Snapegirl
Author's Notes:
Severus gets an urgent call from Minerva to help a very sick Albus, and Harry causes his own brand of mischief when they go to Hogwarts.

When Severus and Lily saw Vi that Saturday, they asked her what to do about Harry's sudden penchant for naughtiness and tantrums whenever he didn't get his way. Severus expressed his concern that Harry was acting up because of Dudley's influence, but Vi said that was only part of the problem.

"It's true children mimic other children's behavior sometimes, to see what they can get away with, but I think that Harry's testing you, in particular, Sev, to see how far he can go. Remember, this is the first time he's ever had a positive male influence in the home who is actually around longer than a few weeks, and while he respects you, he also feels the need to rebel against your authority as well. That's typical behavior for his age, Sev. This is when kids test you to the max, and the time when you need a few stiff drinks sometimes at the end of the day. Petunia used to throw screaming fits every day, especially when she thought I was paying more attention to Lily. She was a particularly demanding child, which is where Dudley gets it from."

"Now that I can believe. How about Lily?"

"Lily was much more calm, unless you did something to hurt her or took away something she wanted. Then she turned into a screaming demon. Petunia used to tease her something awful when she was little, taking away toys Lily was playing with and hiding them just to make her cry, and then she acted like she didn't know what happened."

Sev huffed. "A troublemaker and a liar even then," he muttered under his breath, for though he disliked Petunia, he didn't want to hurt Vi's feelings by speaking ill of her daughter openly. "What did you do about it?"

"Pretty much the same as you and Lily are doing," Vi said. "Time out, scolding, an occasional smack or two on the behind. It's a stage that eventually they grow out of, but it seems to last forever when you're going through it. But the most important thing to remember is firmness and consistency. Never ever say you'll do something and then not follow through on it. That only confuses the kid and makes him think that you don't always mean what you say."

"I understand, Vi. I always try to keep my punishments consistent and keep my promises." Severus said. "I learned that from my mother."

"You'll be fine, Sev. Just take it one day at a time, and if you find yourself about to explode, walk away and count to thirty ten times. That always helped me. And remember, nobody's perfect, so if you make a mistake, it isn't the end of the world. Parenting is nine parts trial and error." Vi sighed. "But, oh, I remember those days, and how sometimes I just wanted to run screaming down the street. If he really starts getting to you, Sev, call me and I'll give you a break. Don't feel bad, either, because we all need a break now and then, even you, Master Healer Snape."

"Thank you, Vi," Severus said sincerely, though he didn't think he would ever need to take her up on it. What kind of parent would he be if he couldn't handle a two-year-old?

"Another thing you might want to try is a system of rewards and punishments. I used to keep a chart on the wall with colored stickers for my girls. They called it a Star Chart, because when they were good, and didn't fight with each other or took turns or helped out around the house that day, they got a blue star, if they got five blue stars in a week, then they got a gold one. If they got three gold ones, they got to go to a movie or to the store and pick out a toy or a book or, when they were older, they got money or extra phone time or slept over a friend's house. If they misbehaved, answered me back, or didn't do their chores, they got no star that day and got grounded or whatever."

"I remember that, Mum," Lily said, smiling reminiscently. "And Tuney used to try and steal my stars sometimes, so she had more, but you always knew and she'd get in trouble for lying."

Vi nodded. "Tuney always thought she could outsmart me, but I wasn't born yesterday, and my oldest sister, Esmerelda, God rest her, was the same way, so I was wise to her little schemes."

"I'll try the chart with Harry and see how it works. Maybe it will motivate him to be good instead of bad," Lily said, and her husband agreed with her.

They took her advice to heart and though there were days when they both longed to rip out their hair or paddle Harry till he couldn't sit for a week, by and large Harry was slowly learning not to test them, since whenever he did so, the consequences were not to his liking. He enjoyed looking at the large white chart Lily had drawn and stuck to the wall of the kitchen, which had labels like Eats Breakfast Well, Takes a Nap, Picks Up Toys, Shares, No Screaming, No Biting, Goes to Bed on Time, Uses the Potty, No Tantrums. Severus was teaching him how to count, and used the chart to show Harry how many stars he had for a day or a week. The first gold star Harry earned was celebrated with ice cream sundaes and ten bedtime stories.

And since Christmas was coming, Lily also used the old standby, "Father Christmas is watching you, and if you're very naughty, you'll get no presents on Christmas."

"How he see me, Mum?"

"Oh, Father Christmas has special magic to keep an eye on all the little children and he can see through walls and everything," Lily answered. "He keeps a book with all the kids names on it and the good kids get gold stars and the bad ones get a big black check mark, and if you get too many then your name goes in the Naughty Book and then he knows to pass over you on Christmas Eve, because naughty little boys don't get visited by Father Christmas."

"I not that naughty, am I?" Harry asked, alarmed.

"I would hope not, Mr. Potter. I know you can be a good boy, Harry." Lily kissed the top of his head.

Harry gave her an angelic smile and hugged her back. "I be good, Mummy. Then I get presents from Father Kistmas."

But since he was only two, Harry tended to forget his promises in a day or less. So it was a week later, Severus was off and happened to get an urgent Floo call from his old professor, Minerva McGonagall, asking if he would please come to Hogwarts, the Headmaster was very ill, and refused to stay in bed, insisting he was fine.

"I'm ready to shove him in the bed and cast a Sticking Charm on him, Severus, or sit on him, Merlin help me!" Minerva declared. "Poppy's on vacation this week, and her substitute is a wet-behind-the-ears mousy nurse just out of medical school that thinks Albus is God, gets all starry-eyed when he smiles at her, the silly twit! She would never dream of contradicting him, no matter how sick he was. You're the only Healer I know with backbone enough to stand up to the old fool and make him take care of himself. Can you please come to Hogwarts, Severus? Before I have a coronary and you've got two patients to treat?"

"I'm on my way, Minerva. But I'm going to have to bring Harry with me, since Lily's at work."

"Good! I haven't seen him since last year and I'd love to spend some time with him," Minerva said, smiling.

"Very well. Let me get him and his bag packed and we'll be over." Severus said, then withdrew from the fireplace and went to find Harry and tell him they were going to Hogwarts to visit Auntie Min and Uncle Al.

* * * * * *

 

It had been a year since Harry had been to visit Minerva and Albus, and so it wasn't too surprising that he barely remembered them. He had last seen them at his first birthday party, and the most he remembered from that was the big chocolate cake with vanilla frosting he had eaten while making a very big mess. Minerva was waiting for them, when Severus stepped through the fireplace into the Great Hall, carrying Harry and a small bag with some baby necessities over his shoulder.

"Hello, Harry!" she cooed when she saw the adorable little tyke. "Oh, Sev, he's gotten so much bigger since last time!"

"I is a big boy now," Harry informed her solemnly.

"You certainly are. Come and give your Auntie Min a kiss." She held out her arms.

"O'tay!" Harry cried, he instinctively liked her, even if she seemed a bit stern, and went willingly into her arms and planted a great big kiss on her cheek. Minerva hugged him and kissed him back.

"I'm so glad to see you again, Harry. You know, your dad and mum used to go to school here when they were little and someday you will too."

"I wanna go to kool here, Auntie Min," Harry said. "Daddy says I is a wizard like him an' Mummy."

"That's very true, child. And I'm sure you'll be a wonderful student at Hogwarts." Then she turned to Severus. "Albus is in his office, reading his latest dispatches from the Ministry. I tried to make him lie down, but the old coot wouldn't listen to me, and I'm certain he's got a fever."

"I'll see what I can do for him, Minerva. Perhaps he'll be more inclined to listen to me," Severus said, adding silently, If all else fails, I'm authorized to cast a Body Bind on my patients for their own wellbeing. And I'll do it too, if he proves too stubborn to listen to reason. Though that was a method of last resort, and Severus preferred not to have to resort to it.

They exited the Great Hall, Harry still being held by the Scottish witch, and she supplied the password to the revolving staircase that led to the Headmaster's office. Harry's eyes went wide as the gargoyle revolved and allowed them passage up the stairs, but he said nothing until she knocked on the door of Dumbledore's office and was bid to enter.

As soon as Harry caught sight of the bearded old man with the half-moon spectacles sitting behind the massive oak desk, writing with a white ostrich feather quill, he confused him with another well-known figure that also sported a white beard, whom he had just seen last week at the local mall.

"Father Kistmas! You is here too?"

Albus looked up, his blue eyes twinkling, and gave the precocious tot a smile. "I have been called many things before, but that is the first time any child has considered me a saint."

Minerva snorted and muttered, "Don't get full of yourself, you stubborn old garrin,"

Severus smothered a chuckle, for a garrin was a mountain pony in Scots dialect and his son's misconception was quite amusing. "Harry that's not Father Christmas-" he began, only to be interrupted by Albus coughing.

The old man coughed long and deeply, the spasms wracking his frame and Severus frowned in concern and approached, opening his black medicus satchel and pulling out three potions. "Albus, you really ought to be in bed, by the sound of that cough."

"Daddy!" Harry cried, staring at the old man. "Father Kistmas sick, make him better!"

"I'll try, Harry. Now hush." Severus ordered quietly. "Albus, how long have you had that cough?"

"Not long, my boy. I caught a mild cold, nothing to concern yourself about," Albus replied offhandedly. "You know Min, she's an alarmist."

Severus lifted an eyebrow. "I do know Minerva, Albus, and she would never summon me for anything like a "mild cold"." He drew his wand. "If you'll permit me to examine you, Headmaster, I can determine if it's nothing more than a cold."

Albus eyed the Healer's wand nervously. "Severus, that's really not necessary, I assure you, I'm fine-"

"Aye, ye stubborn auld idiot," Minerva burst out, her accent becoming more pronounced in the heat of her temper. "So fine that you're gonna keel over an' claim you're healthy when they nail shut your coffin, ye daft looby!" She whirled on Severus. "Dinna listen t'him, Healer Snape, the fever's addled his wits. Examine him, I gi' ye my permission, as Deputy Headmistress."

Dumbledore gaped at his colleague, too astonished at McGonagall's pulling rank on him to protest in time.

Severus, no fool, took advantage of the opportunity and cast a diagnostic spell. Three minutes later he reported the findings. "You've got a high fever and a congestion in your lungs that's beginning to turn into pneumonia, general exhaustion, and your magic's weakened too, from you casting Glamour Charms on yourself to keep everyone from guessing how sick you really are, Albus Dumbledore!"

"Glamour Charms!" exclaimed Minerva. "Why you sly old fox! No wonder I dinna notice till now!" She wagged a finger at the older wizard. "For shame, Albus!"

To his credit, Dumbledore did look like a naughty little boy caught out in some prank. "Now, Min, I didn't want you to worry . . ."

"By doing that, you've worsened your condition, and now she'll worry ten times as much," Severus interjected sternly. "You need complete bed rest for a week and two doses of my Decongestion Draft and Fever Reducer and a Class Four Pain Reliever plus a mild Sleeping Draught every day. And I think a cleansing steam bath as well, otherwise you'll get full-blown pneumonia, Albus, and if that happens, I'm sending you straight to St. Mungos, since pneumonia in a man your age can be deadly."

"Ha! Y'see?" Minerva declared triumphantly to Harry. "Perfectly fine my clan tartan."

Dumbledore looked faintly chastened, but still unrepentant. "Severus, my boy, I cannot possibly take off a week, the Minister has asked me to-"

"As your Healer, Albus, I must insist. You need to go to bed immediately. After you've taken that steam bath and some of my potions," Severus amended quickly. "If you don't do as I say, the Minister is going to have to find himself a new Chief Warlock, because you'll be in critical care in St. Mungos." He gave the old wizard a glare worthy of Tobias. "If I have to, I'll bind you to your bed," he threatened.

Albus coughed again, then paled. "You wouldn't really do that, Severus. Taking advantage of an old man that way . . ."

"If necessary, I will," Severus remained firm, though the pleading gaze was hard to resist. Luckily, he'd had plenty of practice with a certain emerald-eyed toddler. "I will do whatever is necessary to help my patient get well, up to and including putting them in full Body Bind. I am sworn by my Healer's Oath, Albus, and not even you can make me break that, you clever old fox."

"Healer Snape, I can't afford to be sick," Albus began craftily. "What if I took your potions and rested for a day, then I could-"

"No. There's no can't, Albus Dumbledore, you are very sick and must follow my instructions to the letter, no shortcuts and no half measures. It's my way or St. Mungos."

"But Severus, what about the children?" he wheedled.

Just then, one of the children spoke up, saying loudly, "Listen to my daddy, Father Kistmas! He's the bestest Healer an' he'll make you all better!"

"Out of the mouths of babes," muttered the Headmaster, blushing faintly.

 

"Yes, Father Christmas, you wouldn't want be sick and unable to deliver your presents, would you?" inquired Minerva with a wicked grin. It was rare that anybody ever managed to get the better of Dumbledore, but she knew they had him over a barrel and between Severus, herself, and Harry they might actually win this battle.

"No!" Harry squealed. He wriggled out of Minerva's arms and came to stand beside Albus, one little finger pointed imperiously. "You is gonna do as Daddy says an' get better, so's you can bring me presents, ‘cause I been good, ‘kay?"

Albus opened his mouth to say something, but he started coughing again.

"Looks like the general just gave you your marching orders, Albus," Minerva chuckled. "I'd suggest you follow them."

Dumbledore looked up at her, the twinkle dimmed from his blue eyes. "Very well, Min. I know when to retreat. What do you suggest, Master Healer Snape?" he gasped, trying to catch his breath.

"Fifteen minutes in a steam bath, these three potions, and rest." Severus repeated. "Come, I can help you, Albus. I'm assuming the faculty bathroom can be turned into a sauna, right?" At Albus's nod, he looked at Minerva. "Minerva, can you please watch Harry for about an hour, just so I can get him settled?"

"Of course, Sev. Harry, have you eaten lunch? No? Come along, we'll have a nice lunch in my quarters."

Harry looked up at Severus. "Go with Aunt Min, Harry. And mind you behave," Severus warned.

The toddler nodded, then followed Minerva out the door, leaving the Healer to assist his patient to the faculty bathroom to begin the first part of his treatment.

* * * * * *

While Severus was assisting the Headmaster, Minerva summoned the house elves to bring her and Harry some lunch. Having never really taken care of a small child before, the transfiguration teacher didn't realize that Harry was at a stage where he picked at his food and claimed to hate green vegetables. Minerva ordered him the same thing she was having, which was a nice ham steak, potatoes, and a side of peas and carrots.

After cutting up Harry's food, she said, "There now, sweetheart, eat your lunch like a good boy and after we'll have a look at Mr. Filch's kittens. His cat, Mrs. Norris, is a mum now."

Harry looked up from contemplating his lunch, his green eyes bright with eagerness. "Kitties? Where the kitties?" He loved animals, but especially cats and puppies.

"In a basket in Mr. Filch's quarters," answered Minerva primly. "Eat and then you can see them." She began to eat her own lunch.

Ten minutes later, she looked up to see how Harry was getting on and saw to her dismay that the little boy had barely eaten. "Harry, why haven't you touched your lunch?"

The child shrugged. "Don' want it. Peas and carrots is yucky!" He made a face at the vegetables.

"Harry, they're good for you. Here, look, I'll eat some." She placed a forkful in her mouth. "Mmm!"

But Harry was having none of that trick. Lily had tried that once too often. "Yucky!" he declared, scowling. Then he got a naughty idea. If Auntie Min liked peas and carrots so much, maybe she could eat his. "You eat veggies!" And with that he catapulted a forkful of peas and carrots right at Minerva.

They hit the startled teacher right in the face.

"Harry! What on earth?" she sputtered.

Harry cracked up. He thought it was hysterical, seeing the prim matron covered with peas and carrots. So he did it again.

Another rain of vegetables flew at Minerva, hitting her in the forehead and some even landed in her hair.

Needless to say, she was not amused.

"Harry James Severus Potter! You stop throwing food this instant, young man!" she ordered in her dreaded "detention giving" voice.

But Harry was giggling and ignored the tone, not knowing it meant trouble. "Funny! Do it ‘gain!" This time he scooped up a handful of potatoes and flung them as well.

Splat! They hit McGonagall right on the nose.

Minerva was appalled. She grabbed her napkin, wiped off her face, then leaned over the table and said in a dreadful voice, "Throw one more piece of food at me, bairn, and you'll find yourself in the corner and no seeing the kitties, am I clear?"

Harry gulped, for now he could see that the lady was angry and he sniffled and whimpered, "No! No time out."

"Then you'd better eat that food, young man, or else that's what you'll be gettin'."

Harry picked at his food, finally eating his ham and most of his potatoes, but he balked at even tasting the remainder of the peas, and at last Minerva gave up and banished the dishes back to the kitchen, thinking to herself what a stubborn little boy Harry was, and who'd have thought it, given he was James's son?

"See kitties now?" Harry asked hopefully.

"Yes, though I really shouldn't, seeing as you were so naughty," sighed Minerva.

"I is sorry," muttered the little imp, pouting pathetically.

"Oh, Harry!" Minerva took his hand. "Come along."

Filch was less than thrilled to have Harry play with his cat's kittens, but at Minerva's glower, he subsided.

There were four kittens in the basket, curled in a furry heap next to a drowsing Mrs. Norris, who opened one eye sleepily, saw Minerva, and then went back to sleep. Minerva gently chose a small orange and white kitten from the basket, this was a gentle calm kitten, and handed her to Harry. "Here, child. Hold Marmalade, she doesn't mind you cuddling her a bit."

Harry hugged the tiny kitten and stroked her fur. Marmalade purred and fell asleep in his arms. Minerva smiled and said, "That's a good lad, Harry."

She let Harry hold Marmalade and pet the other three kittens, Aristotle, Flicker, and Minx, before Marmalade woke up and began mewing for her own lunch.

That made Mrs. Norris wake up, and she started meowing agitatedly for her baby.

"Harry, give Marmalade back now, she needs her mum," Minerva said, and went to take the kitten.

"No! I not WANT to!" Harry wailed. "MY kitty!" He hugged Marmalade so tight she squeaked and Mrs. Norris hissed.

"Harry, the kitty needs to eat, now let her go," Minerva ordered, and this time she pried the stubborn child's fingers away and took the kitten and put her back in the basket.

Harry threw himself on the ground, bawling and kicking. "MY kitty! Bring her BACK!" MINE! MINE!"

Argus was covering his ears and Minerva was staring at Harry as if he had suddenly grown horns and a tail. She had never known a child could scream so loud.

"Professor, take ‘im away, please!" begged Filch. "Afore I go deaf!"

"Sorry, Argus! I never knew he would be like this." She knelt down and picked up the sobbing child. "Harry, that's enough! You're scaring the kittens."

But that had no effect on the furious child, who simply let out another ear-piercing howl.

Wincing, Minerva turned and marched back to her quarters, hoping the child would forget about the kittens if he wasn't seeing them any more.

Harry continued crying until they were inside the teacher's quarters and Minerva had set him down on the couch. All at once he stopped and said, "Kitties go ‘way?"

"Yes, the kitties had to eat lunch," Minerva told him. She had the beginnings of a throbbing headache and was shocked that the child could behave in such a fashion. She would have thought any child raised by Severus would have better manners. "Harry, how would you like to paint a kitty?"

"Paint?"

"Yes, paint." Minerva went and got a large sheet of parchment from her storeroom and some finger paints, she enjoyed painting in her spare time and was currently working on an oil of the kittens playing in the sunshine on the lawn.

After showing Harry how to use the paints, and giving him an old apron to wear, she went to get some tests to mark from her sitting room, and it was then that a knock came upon the door. "One moment," she called, the sheaf of tests under her arm.

She peeked at Harry, who was happily smearing red and green paint across the parchment, and then opened the door, thinking it was Severus. But it was one of her students, asking for help with an assignment. June Thatcher was totally confused and it took Minerva some fifteen minutes to set her straight again. By the time the girl had understood the lesson, Minerva's headache had increased.

She turned around and went back into her small den, hoping to relax a little before Severus came to get Harry, and stopped dead.

"Great Merlin's ghost! What hae ye done?"

In the time Minerva had been explaining the complexities of transfiguration to Miss Thatcher, Harry had grown bored with painting kitties on the parchment and decided to paint them on the floor, the couch, and the table instead. He had also found Minerva's spare box of quills and sand, called pounce, used to make ink dry quicker, and proceeded to dip the quills in paint and paint all over with them and sprinkle the pounce on the floor and the table, resulting in a sticky gritty mess.

In the space of fifteen minutes, Harry had wreaked havoc on her formerly spotless neat sitting room, it now looked like a paint bomb had hit it. Harry himself was covered in paint from head to toe, and grinning like a mischievous imp. "Pretty! I paint kitties, Auntie Min!"

Minerva buried her face in her hands and tried to keep from screaming. Severus, where are you?

As if her thought had summoned him, there came a knock at the door and she heard the Healer call, "Minerva, I'm finished for today. I got him to sleep and I'll be back next week to check on him." He turned the handle and walked into the Transfiguration teacher's quarters. "How was Harry?"

"Severus!' cried Minerva, relieved beyond words that he had returned to claim his mischief-making son. "I think ye'd better take the laddie home, he . . .he . . .threw peas and carrots at ma face, and screeched like a banshee when I took him from the kittens, and then . . . lookit what he's done!"

"Dear sweet Merlin!" gasped the Healer, taking in the paint-splattered room and his son. "What the hell happened?"

"I-I dinna know. I went t' answer a question from a student and when I turned ‘round, this was what I saw!" Minerva groaned. "I never thought he'd do such a thing, I gave him a big piece of parchment t'paint on."

"Harry's like the ocean, Minerva. You can't turn your back on him," groaned the Healer. "I apologize, I can help you clean it up."

"No, no. The house elves will see to it." Minerva waved off his offer.

"I'm very sorry," the embarrassed father repeated, then he turned to his disobedient son and growled, "Harry James Severus, what d'you think you were doing, painting all over like that?"

Harry immediately quit smiling and his face crumpled. "I want paint kitties, Daddy."

"Paint the-oh for the love of Merlin! You are in such trouble, you naughty little brat! You're just like your father, you blasted rotten little-!"

"Severus!" Minerva cried. "You shouldn't talk about the child like that. Yes, he's been very naughty and deserves to spend some time in the corner and maybe a spanking, but insulting the child like that is not good either."

Sev halted, for the truth was he hadn't even realized what he'd been saying, he had been so angry and embarrassed at Harry's behavior that he had just blurted out the first thing that had come into his head, which had been insulting terms that Tobias used to yell at him in a temper, usually right before he removed his belt. Minerva's reproof had brought him back to himself abruptly.

"I . . .I don't usually . . .I didn't realize what I was saying . . .Oh God, I sounded just like my father!"

Minerva knew a bit about his past history with Tobias, since Eileen had spoken to her just before she died, asking Minerva to help Severus if he needed it. "Aye, you did, lad. An' that's not who ye ought to be using as an example, Severus Snape."

Severus winced, though he knew he deserved her scolding. He recalled all too well how Tobias's insults used to sting and prick at him, long after the welts from his belt had faded. And he had begun to do the same to Harry, without even realizing it. You let your temper rule your tongue, Snape, and now look what happened. It's a good thing Minerva caught it before you kept on and made Harry's life miserable like yours. "No. I never want to be my father, Minerva." He took several deep breaths, resolving to watch his mouth in the future. Then he looked at his son again and said, in amore controlled tone, "Harry, painting all over Aunt Min's room is very bad. You're supposed to paint on parchment not the floor or the couch. I'm very disappointed in you, little boy."

At that, Harry began to cry, for he hated when his daddy used that phrase, since it meant he was very upset with Harry and he was in big trouble. He had had a wonderful time painting and yet now it seemed he was wrong and his daddy was mad at him.

"Come on, we're going home, and you're getting a time out for your awful behavior." Severus said, waving his wand and cleaning all the paint off the toddler.

Harry started to wail. "No-o-o! No time out! I paint!"

"Not anymore, you're not." Severus said, crossing the room towards his son. His temper was still simmering and he had to clamp down on it hard. "You made an awful mess, now say you're sorry to Aunt Min and let's go."

Harry promptly threw himself on the floor, kicking and screaming, figuring the longer he delayed going home, the better it would be.

Oh no. Please, not again! Severus thought, wanting to cringe. Why me? Minerva must think I'm raising the world's worst child. After the incident at Trimelda's Toys, Severus was sure that was the worst thing that Harry could do, throwing a tantrum in public. Now, however, he discovered the only thing worse was your child throwing a tantrum for someone else and wrecking their place into the bargain. He was so utterly mortified he wished he could dig a hole and crawl into it and not come out until Harry was seventeen.

But since that was a coward's option, and Severus had never been a coward, he took another deep breath and said sternly, "Mr. Potter, quit that screaming and come here, right now, or else you'll be getting another minute in time out plus a smack on your backside. One."

Harry lifted his face from the floor, it was now covered in paint again, and bawled, "I no go home! Stay here wif kitties."

"The kittens don't like naughty little boys who scream and throw tantrums," Severus told him. "Now get up and come here, young man. Two."

Sobbing, the child got to his feet, knowing that once Sev began counting he meant business.

Sev cleaned him up again and picked him up, made him apologize to Minerva, then he headed down the hall to the fireplace in the Great Hall, ignoring some of the startled looks he got from students heading to class, and Flooed back home.

After punishing his son, Severus drank a Calming Draught and almost wished he were single again. He dearly loved his son, but oh, how he wished Harry would quit testing him and throwing tantrums. Minerva was probably thanking her lucky stars that Albus was rarely sick and she didn't need Severus to make house calls all the time, especially when he brought along his troublemaking son.

When he went to check on Harry, whom he'd put down for a nap, some ten minutes later, he found the little boy sleeping peacefully, one arm clutching his dragon, looking like a cherub.

Severus looked at him for a long moment. Scamp, what am I going to do with you? You're going to drive me to drink before you're four if you keep this up. How is it that you can look like a sweet angel and yet behave like a demon? He wondered if every child was like that, or was it just Harry? He recalled reading in Magical Child Today that one day you'd look back on the stuff your child did when they were two and three and laugh about it, but right then Severus was just hoping he'd live through it without having a nervous breakdown, never mind laughing over it. Whoever had written that article must have never had kids, he thought, then went into the kitchen to start supper before Lily came home. Now they would have something else to discuss over dinner tonight, he mused, and to think, once he'd complained that his life was uninteresting!

The End.
End Notes:
Well, how did you like that one?

Next: Harry imitates a young Leonardo and draws on the walls.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1602