Where Shadows Go by Snapegirl
Summary: Prequel to Never Again. After the death of her husband, Lily Potter must begin her life anew, along with her son, Harry. Can they find comfort and solace with Master Healer Severus Snape? Or will old wounds from past and present keep them apart?
Categories: Parental Snape > Stepfather Snape, Healer Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Lily, Original Character, Remus, Sirius
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Child fic, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Character Death, Physical Punishment Spanking, Profanity, Romance/Het, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: Never Again!
Chapters: 31 Completed: Yes Word count: 120929 Read: 170352 Published: 03 Jul 2008 Updated: 29 Nov 2008
An Absolutely Awful Day by Snapegirl
Author's Notes:
Harry throws the mother of all tantrums and Severus loses his patience.

Chapter dedicated to any mom or dad who has ever had their toddler throw something at them in a temper.

Some parental CP in this chapter!!

Four days later:

Severus woke up feeling out-of-sorts and exhausted.  He'd spent much of the night tossing and turning, unable to sleep, still fretting over the results of Lily's exam. When he finally did manage to fall asleep, he was plagued by nightmares of Lily dying of leukemia or some other disease while he looked on helplessly, unable to save her. Not exactly conducive to a good night's sleep.

Lily, on the other hand, slept soundly due to a dose of Dreamless Sleep, and never even knew her husband spent half the night awake and sick with worry.  She rose early the next morning and kissed the sleeping Severus before Flooing off to the Ministry, leaving both her husband and son still wandering the realm of dreams at a quarter to eight.

Severus awoke around eight-thirty, muzzy and feeling as if he could sleep for another year at least.  But he knew his little son would be awake soon, and so he had to get up.  Reluctantly, he slipped out of his warm comfortable nest of blankets and padded into the adjoining bath.  Perhaps a quick hot shower would restore him to consciousness.

By the time he had finished and dressed, he could hear the water running in the bathroom down the hall, right across from Harry's room.

"Harry? What are you doing in there?" Severus called as he walked down the hallway, still feeling a lingering tiredness hovering over him.

"Brushin' my teeth n' going potty, Dad!" Harry yelled back, sounding a bit garbled because of all the toothpaste in his mouth.

Severus waited a minute or two, then asked, "Are you almost finished?"

"Umm. . . kind of."

Something about the way the three-year-old said that made Severus think there was something other than brushing teeth going on, his "up-to-no-good" radar was tingling madly.  He had learned never to ignore that warning and so, after an interminable minute, waiting for the water to turn off, he opened the door.

The sight that met his eyes would have sent Martha Stewart into cardiac arrest.

Toothpaste was all over the sink, the vanity, the mirror, and the toilet seat.  The sink was filled with what looked like bubbles and his son was waving around a dripping toothbrush, the front of his pajamas decorated with more toothpaste and water.

Water was all over the floor as well as the plastic stepstool Harry used to reach the sink.  A towel lay sopping on the tile, apparently Harry had tried to stem the tide of water overflowing from the sink. 

Green eyes met disapproving dark ones.  "Dad! I'm not finished yet." Harry cried. "I need to-"

"Oh yes you are, young man!" Severus said severely, crossing his arms over his chest.  "Look at the mess you made! Toothpaste all over everything," Merlin! But I can't deal with his shenanigans today, heaven help me!

Harry started to sniffle and pout.  "It was . . .it was an accident."

"Accident, my eye! You were playing around with the faucet and the toothpaste again. How many times do we have to talk about this? Toothpaste is for brushing your teeth, not squirting all over."

Severus drew his wand.  "Scourgify."  He cast a quick cleaning charm over the bathroom, restoring it to its former neat state. Then he scowled down at his son.  "Why would you do such a thing, little boy?"

Harry knew he was in trouble by the way his dad was looking at him, with that "mad face", but he had awoken with an imp of mischief on his shoulder that morning, and it urged him to be bold and defiant. 

He shrugged.  "'Cause I felt like it." He answered insolently.

Severus felt his temper spike.  "You felt like it?" he repeated angrily.  His son's outright insolence irritated him past bearing.  "Well, then I hope you feel like getting a swat and a time out for your awful behavior too.  Come here, Harry James Severus."

Now the little boy was sure he was in trouble.  He knew full well what the use of all three names meant.  "No-o-o! M' sorry.  I don' wanna get a time out!" He put a hand back to cover his bottom.  "I'll be good!"

"Too late for that. One."

Harry sniffled, feeling very sorry for himself now. "No! No! I never do it ‘gain, Daddy!"

Severus glowered.  "Two." He ignored the pathetic eyes his son was making by sheer will and temper. "Better come here or else I add another minute."

"No fair!" Harry pouted.

Sev opened his mouth and Harry abruptly decided his continued defiance wasn't worth it and trudged over to his father, lip quivering.

Sev administered the promised swat, after first removing the little boy's hand, and then carried his now crying child over to the naughty stool in the corner of the kitchen for a five minute time out. 

As he watched his mischievous little scamp squirm and pout and whine for the entire five minutes, Healer Snape just knew it was going to be an absolutely awful day.

The next battle came over breakfast.  Still sulky and resentful over being punished, even though it had been deserved, Harry decided he'd rather play with his toast and eggs instead of eating them.  While Severus was busy scrambling his own egg and buttering his toast at the counter, Harry crushed and crumbled all of his food and tossed it onto the floor, pretending he was feeding some imaginary birds.

"Harry what the blazes do you think you're doing?" snapped Severus, upon seeing a carpet of crumbs and egg bits surrounding Harry's chair.  "You know better than to play with your food like that! Are you a baby?"

"No! I am a big boy!"

"Then quit acting like a baby and making a mess all over," his father scolded.  "Why aren't you eating?"

"Not hungry now."

"Well, now is breakfast, and if you don't eat then don't expect breakfast later.  You can just wait until lunch."

Harry shrugged.  "Don' care.  I wanna make a potion."

"Oh really?" Severus gestured and a broom and dustpan came floating over and began to sweep up the floor.  "Unless you start behaving, you won't be making potions at all, mister? Understand?"

Harry stuck his lower lip out and muttered that Severus was mean.

Severus ignored him, eating his own breakfast.  He didn't know why his son was in such a mood, but he wasn't going to put up with it.  He had a limited tolerance for such willful behavior and he was fast reaching the end of his rope.

Harry did at least drink his milk, then it was time to get dressed and after another whiny session over getting his hair combed, Severus suggested Harry go out in the yard and play for a while.  "It's a nice sunny day out, why don't we go and play in the castle?"

There was a child-sized playhouse designed to look like Hogwarts, it had been a gift from Padfoot and Moony for Harry's third birthday, as well as a swing set and a small table and chairs.

But again Harry balked, saying sulkily, "Don't wanna play outside.  It's boring! I wanna make a potion."

"Later, in about an hour we can do that," Severus said, for his head was pounding and he knew he wasn't up to concentrating on potion-making at the moment.

Harry looked like he was about to throw a fit, but Severus fastened a Snape Look at him, and he thought better of it. "Okay!" he said, sounding extremely put out.  "I'll go play with my trains."

Then the little imp stomped off to his room to get his toy Hogwarts Express.

Severus went into his lab to get a Headache Remedy.  Then he returned to the couch and sat down with his eyes shut, waiting for it to start working.

Meanwhile, Harry took his trains into the den and proceeded to play a very loud noisy game called "Smash and Crash" where he made the two engines smash into each other.

Severus shuddered and tried to block it out, but the trains were magical toys  with magical sound effects.  Every time one crashed, a whistle blew and the sound of the crash was amplified and torturing his already throbbing head.  After ten minutes, Severus sat up and growled, "Harry, quit making such a racket.  Play something quiet, won't you?"

"But why? I like this game."

"Because I have a headache right now and all that damn smashing and bashing is making it worse."

Harry groaned.  It seemed as if he were never allowed to do anything he wanted today.  He wished his dad had gone to work today instead of his mother. 

Severus settled back on the couch, massaging his temples, and sighed in relief.

Harry set down his train and tried to think of something quiet to do that wouldn't bother his dad's head.  He thought and thought and then he had an idea.

* * * * * *

Ten minutes later, Severus's headache had subsided to a dull throb and he was able to sit up and look around.  He saw no sign of Harry and suddenly realized it was way too quiet.  And that usually meant trouble.  "Harry? Where are you?"

"In the titchen, Dad.  I'm baking."

"What?!"

Severus shot off the couch as if it were fire, running into the kitchen, terrified that his three-year-old was playing with the oven.

But Harry was in the middle of the floor, vigorously stirring a large bowl of flour, water, and sugar together into a gluey paste.  Flour was everywhere, the pantry door was open and flour tracked from there into the center of the kitchen, where Harry had finally managed to open the container and spilled over half of it on the floor.  Sugar was also all over, Severus's shoes crunched on it as he walked into the kitchen.

Harry was liberally splattered with flour and sugar from head to foot, and wearing a mischievous devil-may-care grin that reminded Severus of a drunken leprechaun.

For one moment, Severus was speechless.

Then he found his voice.

"Great bloody Merlin! Harry James Severus, what have you DONE?"

"Nuffin'.  I'm makin' bread like Granny."

Severus longed to bury his head in his hands and scream.  Either that or bang his head into a wall.  His headache returned with a vengeance.  Why me? Oh, bloody Merlin's balls, why me?  He drew in a deep breath, reminding himself to count to ten.  You don't want to be arrested for killing your son, Sev. So just breathe and count.

He gritted his teeth and counted to ten once.  Then again, and then backwards for good measure. Until he could speak without becoming a raving lunatic. "Who said you could try. . .baking without me or your mother in the kitchen, little boy?"

Harry gulped. Uh oh.  Looked like he was in for it again.  "Uh . . .nobody.  I came here my own self."

"Harry, do you know why you're not allowed to bake alone?"

"No, sir."

"Take a look around."

Harry did.

"What's wrong with the kitchen?"

"Uhhh . . .it's a big mess?"

"Exactly! The kitchen is a big mess and that's why you're not to bake anything alone, son." Severus put his hands on his hips.  "I'm very disappointed in you, Mr. Potter.  This is the third time this morning I've had to scold you for making a mess. And frankly, I'm getting tired of it." He waved a hand and intoned a cleaning spell and within minutes the kitchen and Harry were spotless.

Then he banished the bowl with the gluey contents and said, "Now, you're getting a seven minute time out and then I think a long nap is in order."

"No! No nap an' no TIME OUT!" Harry screamed, furious. He couldn't stand another time out in the same morning.  He sprang to his feet and ran past Severus out of the kitchen.

Severus spun around and followed.  "Harry, come back here right now, young man."

But Harry ignored him, flinging himself on the rug and wailing, "NO NAP!! NO TIME OUT!! NO! NO! NO!" his small fists pounded the rug in a fury.

Severus stared at the little demon shrieking and howling on the rug and wondered if this were some awful nightmare where your child is possessed by maleficent spirits.  "Harry James Severus, stop it this instant!" he ordered in his sternest tone.

But Harry was having full blown tantrum and wasn't listening at all.  "NO TIME OUT!" he was screaming over and over.

Finally, Severus determined that he had to just pick up the little demon and put him in time out before Harry thought he could get away with throwing a tantrum. He bent to grab the red-faced little child, saying, "You deserve a time out and a good spanking for acting like a spoiled brat."

Harry scrambled away, desperate to avoid his punishment, and his hand closed over the toy Hogwarts Express. Without really thinking about it, he flung the toy right at Severus's head. "Mean, Daddy!"

Severus was unprepared for the train to come flying at him, but luckily Harry couldn't aim very well, and the toy only struck him a glancing blow alongside the head.  Even so, it hurt like blazes.

Severus put a hand to his head.  "Ow!"

Harry froze, his mouth open in a round O of surprise. He had hurt his father.  He hadn't really wanted to do that, but somehow it had happened. 

"That does it!" Severus snarled, all his patience evaporated. He snatched up his son and marched back over to the couch, Harry tucked under an arm.  "You have been nothing but a spoiled little brat all day and I've had it.  You do not throw trains at me ever, young man! I don't care how mad you are." He gave the startled Harry a brisk shake. Then he did something he had sworn he would never do. He turned his son over his knee and spanked him.

Granted, the smacks weren't that hard, they stung however, and Harry was bawling after the second one.  Severus gave him a total of four firm smacks, one for each year of his age and one for remembrance.

Harry was shocked and upset, he wriggled and sobbed, understanding perfectly now what the twins had meant by a spanking and very much wishing he didn't! His bum felt as if it were on fire and he also felt terribly guilty for hitting his father in the head with his train.  That hurt worse than his bottom, and he cried hysterically.

Severus froze, staring at his hand, which was lifted for another swat, in horror.  Severus, what are you doing? He's just a little boy! You're just like Tobias! One part of his mind cried.  A little boy who deserves a well-warmed bottom for his behavior, and well you know it, scolded the other part of his mind. And Tobias would've used a belt. He slowly lowered his hand, and then he picked up his son and held him tightly, wondering if the child hated him now.

Then Harry wrapped his arms about Severus, clinging to him, and Severus patted the child on the back awkwardly.  "Hush, scamp.  Hush.  You deserved that spanking and you know it." Even so, it didn't stop Severus from feeling guilty and upset for spanking the little boy. He continued to hold and rock his son until Harry had managed to calm down long enough to tell Sev he was very sorry.

"Does your head hurt bad?" sniffled the repentant toddler.

"Probably a bit more than your bottom, son." Severus admitted ruefully.

"Ouch!" Harry said emphatically, reaching back to rub it, and wincing. He gazed up at his father, all teary-eyed, and said woefully, "That really hurted, Dad. Worser than a shot. I don't like spankings."

Severus snorted, half in amusement.  I don't like them either, child, and this one was nothing like what I used to get. Thank God you'll never know that kind of pain and fear, you impudent little scamp.  "If you liked it, it wouldn't be much of a punishment, scamp.  Next time, behave and don't throw tantrums and I won't need to spank you, all right?"

"I'm sorry, Daddy!" wailed the toddler. "Sorry for hurting you." He buried his head in Sev's neck and cried.

"It's okay, Harry.  I forgive you.  Just don't ever do it again. Or else you know what will happen." Severus said gruffly, though a part of him was already swearing he would never spank his son again, no matter how naughty he was. He rubbed circles on his son's back until Harry stopped crying. 

Then he gently wiped his son's face and made him blow his nose. 

"Am I still getting time out?"

"You are, but you don't have to sit down, you can stand in the corner for seven minutes." Severus said, not wanting to be too harsh on the child. He walked over to a corner of the room and set Harry down facing it. "Seven minutes, son.  No turning around."

"Yes, sir," the child sniffled, rubbing his bottom forlornly.  This was definitely the awfullest day ever!

But at last the time out was ended and Severus took Harry back on his lap and held him until he fell asleep.  But instead of putting him in his room for a nap, the Healer curled up on the couch with him and fell asleep as well. 

The next time they woke up, both were rested and in much better moods than before.  Sev made a potion with Harry and would have made another when he heard a bell ring and felt compelled to go to St. Mercy Hospital in the Muggle side of London. 

The test results.  They must be done.  I need to get them now. "Harry.  We need to go out for a bit.  I need to pick up some papers from the hospital," he told the child, who it seemed, had forgiven him for punishing him. He picked up the little boy and Harry laid his head on his shoulder.

It was faster than expected and Severus Apparated a block before the hospital and put on his glamour and infiltrated the institution. 

Harry looked up at his father in puzzlement.  "Daddy? Why do you look different?"

"Because I'm in disguise, son.  It's a little game." Severus said quickly. "Now hush, I'll be done in a few minutes here."

"Okay, Daddy," Harry said, obedient for once.

Ten minutes later he had the report for Lily Snape in his hand and vanished back to his house. 

There, in the privacy of his own home, Severus scanned the report, and felt his heart grow cold within his breast.  It was as he had feared.  Lily did indeed have something wrong with her.  Something that, in its way, was as deadly as cancer.

She was in the beginning stages of systemic lupus, a disease which attacked the auto-immune system, hence the abnormality in Lily's blood.

The sick cold feeling in his gut spread and he half crumpled the report in his fist, cursing low and furious under his breath.  Auto-immune deficiency diseases were extremely difficult to treat in those born with magic, since most of the medications Muggles used to treat symptoms were ineffective on wizards, their metabolism broke down the medication too quickly and rendered it nearly useless. And eventually, as she weakened, her magic would try and compensate for it and burn itself out.

It was similar to what had happened to his mother, who had contracted a rare but fatal blood disease.  Once her magic had faded, so did she, slipping quietly away one afternoon holding Severus' hand.

He felt tears come to his eyes and he bit his lip hard. Death's specter had returned to haunt him, the old enemy had come knocking on his door once again.  Lily, oh God.  This cannot be happening.  I must find a way to cure this bloody disease. I must.  For I couldn't bear to live in a world without you, in sunlight while you went to dwell in shadow forever. I am a Master Healer and somehow I shall save you, or else follow you to the realm where shadows go.

He quickly scrubbed a hand across his eyes, reigning in his emotions with brutal resolve.  He did not want to upset Harry by weeping like a lost child.  Tears solved nothing.  He had to concentrate on learning about this disease and then curing it.  Just because Muggles had failed did not mean he would, he vowed.

"Daddy?" Harry looked up at him curiously. He could sense there was something wrong.  "Are you still mad at me?"

"No, scamp.  You've been punished and it's done and over with," Severus said softly, and then he hugged his son tightly. If, God forbid, he should lose Lily, Harry would be the last link to her that he had. The very best part of her, she had said once. He held the green-eyed toddler close and inhaled the sweet scent of fruit soap and struggled to lock away the dreadful terror that was gnawing his insides.

Now he had to decide when and how to tell Lily the awful news. It would be the hardest thing he had ever done.  And he had no idea how to do it.  For how do you tell the woman you love that she is critically ill and dying?

The End.
End Notes:
Well, what did you think?

Next: The Snapes have a family picnic, along with the Weasleys, and Severus confides in Matthew and Remus.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1602