Where Shadows Go by Snapegirl
Summary: Prequel to Never Again. After the death of her husband, Lily Potter must begin her life anew, along with her son, Harry. Can they find comfort and solace with Master Healer Severus Snape? Or will old wounds from past and present keep them apart?
Categories: Parental Snape > Stepfather Snape, Healer Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Lily, Original Character, Remus, Sirius
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Child fic, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Character Death, Physical Punishment Spanking, Profanity, Romance/Het, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: Never Again!
Chapters: 31 Completed: Yes Word count: 120929 Read: 170346 Published: 03 Jul 2008 Updated: 29 Nov 2008
Unwelcome News by Snapegirl
Author's Notes:
Severus and Lily tell Hal and Vi the unwelcome news, and Petunia comes to visit Lily and starts trouble.
 

After an excellent dinner of honey-glazed chicken and mashed potatoes, with a whipped cream chocolate trifle for dessert, Lily told her parents that she needed to discuss something with them while Severus helped Harry change into pajamas and settled him in front of the TV watching Lassie Come Home.  Hal frowned and Vi looked nervous, for they could tell from Lily's tone of voice that something was wrong.

"What's happened, Lil?" Hal asked cautiously.  "You and Sev have a row? Is that why he's been so quiet?"

"No, Dad," Lily answered softly.  If only that were all I had to worry about.  Merlin, but this is so hard! Well, no sense in dragging it out, best to just say it straight.  "Sev and I don't really fight all that much, and when we do, we make up pretty quickly."

"Give yourself a couple of years, my girl," her father said with a wink.  His wife elbowed him in the ribs and he yelped.  "Hey, I was only kidding, Vi!"

Vi gave him a glare, then looked questioningly at her daughter.  "You look kind of peaked, Lily.  Have you been getting enough sleep, dear?"

Lily cleared her throat.  "Actually, Mum, sleep is part of my problem.  I was feeling so rundown lately that I decided to let Severus check me out.  He ran some tests and . . .I tested positive for lupus."

Hal blinked, then asked, "What is that? I've never heard of it."

Vi looked ready to pass out.  "Oh, dear God in heaven.  My sister Emily had it. You and Petunia never knew her, Lily.  She . . .passed away before you were born.  Are you positive that's what you have?"

Lily nodded firmly.  "Sev tested me for multiple things before he sent a blood sample off to be tested for anemia and other blood diseases.  Based on the results of all the tests, I have systemic lupus."

"You still haven't told me what it is." Hal said.  "How bad is it?"

"Dad, it's an auto-immune deficiency disease.  That means that the antibodies in my blood aren't working properly, and they're attacking not just harmful bacteria, but normal healthy cells as well, and killing them.  My immune system is compromised and that means so are my heart, liver, kidneys, and my nervous system."

Hal was horrified.  "But . . .how did this happen? You look perfectly healthy!"

"I know.  But I'm . . .not.  I don't know what causes this, Sev says it could be genetic, but no one's certain."

"What do you do to cure it?" was Hal's next question.  Vi was silent, shocked into speechlessness.

"There is no cure, Dad," Lily managed to say, keeping her voice utterly calm by sheer will. 

"What do you mean, there's no cure? There has to be, Lil.  I mean, it's not like cancer, is it? Or AIDS?"

"Hal, lupus is similar to AIDS, in a way," Severus said, returning to the kitchen just in time to catch Hal's last comment.  "Like AIDS, lupus attacks the immune system, weakening it and making the person vulnerable to other infections and diseases." He seated himself at the table next to Lily, his face grave, and took her hand.  "And like AIDS, there is no known cure, and eventually lupus will result in death."

Hal swallowed hard.  "But Severus, you're a wizard.  Surely you can . . .magic something up to cure her, can't you?"

Severus bit his lip and shook his head slowly.  "I wish it were that easy, Hal.  But magic has limits too.  I am trying my best to come up with a spell that may reverse some of the damage and slow down the disease, right now however, all I can treat are the symptoms as they express themselves."

"But you're supposed to be this great Master Healer!" Hal half-shouted, glaring accusingly at his son-in-law.  "Lily told me you've invented vaccines and won all kinds of awards for your potions and stuff.  And you can't invent a potion to fix my daughter?  What the bloody hell good is magic then? How can you call yourself a doctor if you can't even save your own wife?"

"Dad!" Lily gasped.  Color flushed her cheeks and her green eyes flashed.  "How dare you blame Sev for this?  It's not his fault he can't cure it.  He's not bloody God, you know! He may be a wizard, but even we have limits. You have no right to expect him to just wave his wand and . . .and fix everything. He's doing the best he can, if anyone can figure out a way to stop this bloody disease he can, and he doesn't need you making him feel guilty, damn it!"

"Lily Ann, don't you speak to me like that-"

"Well, I'm certainly entitled to, Henry Evans," Vi interrupted frostily.  "She's right, you big eejit.  Of course Sev is doing everything he can to help Lily, he loves her more than anything.  If you want to blame someone, blame bad luck or fate, hell, blame my sister if you want, but don't blame Severus."

Hal flushed, and looked away, repenting of his hasty words. "God, Sev, I . . .didn't mean that the way it sounded . . .I just can't . . .it's such a hell of a shock . . ."

"You haven't said anything I didn't say to myself, Hal." The Healer responded quietly.  "You don't know how many times I've asked myself those same questions and believe me, there is nothing I wouldn't do to save Lily.  I would give up my magic, I would give up my life, I would make a deal with the devil himself if it would make Lily well again." He looked directly into the other man's eyes as he said that, so Hal would see the depth of love and devotion he bore for his wife.  "But none of that is an option, and so I must work with what I have, which is my potions skills, intuition,  and my determination to find a cure."

Hal nodded uncomfortably.  "I was out of line, Sev, I never should have said that. It's just so hard . . .You never think that your kid will develop a life-threatening illness . . .that's not how it should be . . ."

Severus nodded in understanding.  "I understand.  I would be the same if it were Harry who was sick that way.  But know that I will be there every step of the way, she won't fight this battle alone, Hal.  I pledged that when I married her, and I will never forsake her. I will do everything in my power to save her, never doubt that." The young Master Healer's voice rang with determination and conviction so compulsive that both Evanses instinctively believed his words as truth.  And truth it was.

"Sev, what can you do to treat her?" Vi asked.

"I can try several potions to alleviate the symptoms, Vi.  You know that most lupus patients suffer fatigue and fevers and joint and muscle pain, nausea, and photosensitivity.  Some also get skin rashes and at its most severe, lupus can attack the lungs, heart, kidneys and nervous system.  But I can repair damage to all those systems, at least once.  Hopefully, I can manage to develop something that will slow the lupus, keep it from expressing so severely.  Which in turn will keep Lily's magic from coming to her defense."

"Her magic?" Vi repeated. "Why is that bad?"

"Because my magic will keep trying to defeat the disease no matter the cost, until I burn myself out," Lily explained softly, repeating what Severus had told her earlier. "And without my magic, I shall fade and . . .die."

"Oh," was all Vi said, plainly horrified at how vulnerable her child was to illness and death.  "Please, if you ever need me, Lily, just call or come over.  Or I can come over there if you want." She reached out and hugged her daughter.  "You musn't give up hope.  With Sev's magic and medical knowledge, I'm sure you can beat this.  Emily wasn't diagnosed until the lupus was so advanced that it had affected her lungs and her brain and by then . . .she died of brain fever.  But that doesn't mean it'll happen to you."

"I know.  Thanks, Mum." Lily hugged her back, trying to put a brave face on it, despite the fact that she was scared to death.  She knew that a positive outlook was paramount to recovery.  Then she asked, "So, who's going to tell Tuney?"

"I will," Vi said immediately, knowing that the sisters hadn't spoken to each other since the argument at the family reunion over a year ago.  They had exchanged Christmas cards, but not gifts, and Petunia had not bothered to come for the Evans New Year party, since she still refused to associate with Severus.  "I know that Petunia can be difficult . . .and she can hold a grudge forever, but this . . .she's your sister, and she should know and let bygones be bygones."

Lily withdrew from her mother's embrace, smiling slightly.  "It'd be ironic, that this would be the thing that would reconcile us."

"Stranger things have happened, blossom," Hal said, blinking hard.

"You haven't called me that since I was a little girl," said his daughter, smiling at the old pet name. "I was the blossom and Tuney was the thorn, since she was so prickly, and she always hated that, but she couldn't deny it fit her."

Hal chuckled sadly.  "She always was stubborn as a mule, but she used to protect you when you were small, Lily.  I would hope that she can let go of her stupid prejudices regarding wizards and remember you're family, her blood, and that's what counts." He turned to Vi and said sternly, "Violet, you make sure she understands that, and doesn't let that great oaf Dursley dictate any nonsense to her about freaks and whatnot, or else I'll go down to Surrey myself and knock that dumb walrus flat on his arse and remind him just who the head of this family is. It's time to end this feud."

"Don't get yourself so worked up, Hal." Vi soothed.  "I'll speak to Tuney tomorrow.  I'm sure once I tell her . . .she will remember that she loves her sister and act accordingly."

Hal snorted, clearly he wasn't sure about Petunia, but he would reserve judgment.

After that, no one really wanted dessert, and when Severus went to check on Harry, he found his son fast asleep on the couch.  It had been a long day, fraught with emotion, and Severus was exhausted, as was Lily.  They both bid good night to Hal and Vi and Apparated home with Harry.

Only then did the two elder Evanses allow the full impact of Lily's awful news to hit them.  Hal seemed to age ten years, looking older than fifty, and he went into the den and sat down, shaken and in denial.  "I still can't believe it," he kept saying over and over.  "How could this happen, Vi? Lily was always healthy as a horse, she hardly ever got sick.  And now she's . . ." He choked up then, burying his face in his hands.

Vi curled up next to him, hugging his large frame to her and sobbing, "Not my baby, Hal! It's not fair.  First my little sister . . .and now my daughter!" She dissolved into noisy tears.  "What did we ever do to deserve this?"

Hal held her, also weeping. "Nothing, Vi. It's just bad luck.  If only I could take this damn disease instead."

Vi gave a sort of laugh, and said, "Hal, men hardly ever develop lupus.  But I would gladly take it from her if I could.  My poor baby!"

Hal patted her awkwardly and whispered, "There now, my lass, we mustn't lose hope.  Severus might be able to pull a trick or two out of his wand, you know . . ."

But Vi, who had seen firsthand what the dreaded disease could do, continued to sob inconsolably, until Hal made her drink a shot of brandy and put her to bed. He himself stayed awake until the dawn, alternately praying to God to spare his youngest daughter and cursing Him in the next breath for allowing this to happen. Lily, of all people, did not deserve such a terrible fate. Now Petunia, may God forgive him, might have deserved it for being so selfish and cruel and allowing her jealousy to rule her, but not his youngest, who had always been his favorite . . .

* * * * * *

  Vi did speak to Petunia the next day, stressing that she should bury the hatchet and come and see her sister as soon as possible, but it was two weeks before Petunia deigned to show herself at her parents' house. During that time, Lily had begun to experience the fatigue and fevers and pain associated with the onset of lupus flares.  Some days she was so exhausted she couldn't get out of bed, and Severus had begun a regimen of potions to help her combat the terrible draining fatigue and listlessness. 

Remus had offered the services of his house elf Misty, on those days when Lily was too weak to do much but sleep, the little elf came and looked after her and Harry and cleaned the house and made meals for the Snapes so Severus could devote his time to his research and his family when he came home.

Sirius also volunteered to babysit Harry so that Severus could concentrate on his brewing and treating Lily.  Poor Harry was very confused, though his daddy and mummy had taken turns trying to explain that Lily was sick and would take a long time to feel better, which was why she was in bed so much, sleeping, instead of being up and about as usual.  He had asked Severus repeatedly when Mummy was going to be better, and each time the question tore Sev's heart to pieces, for how could he tell a little boy that his mother might never get better? So he answered only, "Maybe tomorrow, scamp," and continued to exhaust himself searching for a way to arrest the lupus.

Harry accepted his father's answer, though he did wonder why his father couldn't fix his mother right up like he always did Harry.  Just last week, Harry had developed a bit of a stomach virus and a rash on his bum, but Sev had made him feel better in a day or so with his potions and salve. Padfoot had explained that Lily had a different kind of sickness, one that kept returning, and so Sev had to keep making potions so she could get better.  He also played with the little boy, running around the yard in his dog form, catching sticks and balls, letting Harry wrestle him in the grass, trying to take the kid's mind off what was happening with his mother.

Sirius too had been devastated to learn that Lily was so very ill, it was a terrible blow to consider losing another old friend so soon after James.  Lily had always been like a sister to him and he hated the fact that he was helpless to do anything to prevent her decline.  So he sought solace in helping Severus look after Harry, whom he loved like he would a nephew.

It was on one of those days that Petunia arrived at Spinner's End, and Vi called up to tell Lily that her sister wished to visit her. Lily happened to be having a good day that morning, and could sit up in bed, didn't feel depressed or dizzy, and actually was pleased that Petunia wanted to see her.  She told her sister to come by the house around one o'clock, giving herself the entire morning to relax, spending time with her son eating breakfast in bed until Sirius arrived. 

Soon after the Auror took Harry off to play, Severus came home, having only scheduled himself for half a day.  Mainly this was so he could brew new batches of potions and be with his wife, but also to keep an eye on Petunia, whom he didn't trust as far as he could spit.  He ordered Misty to watch over Lily carefully, and if it looked like Petunia was upsetting her, to tell the bigoted woman to leave or inform him immediately.  Misty promptly agreed, and Severus went off to brew the daily round of potions.

Petunia arrived, was greeted stiffly by Severus, and shown into the bedroom.  Lily was propped up in bed, wearing a lovely turquoise bed gown, looking better than she had in a week.  "Hello, Tuney.  Long time no see."

"Hello, Lil," Petunia replied courteously.  She moved over to hug her slender sister and give her a peck on the cheek.  "I must say, you look better than I expected, given the way Mum talked about you being at death's door."

"It's one of my good days," Lily said.  She patted the bed beside her.  "Have a seat."

Petunia sat down awkwardly and Severus, who had been observing from the doorway, decided that he could return to brewing his Fatigue Banishing Draft without worrying overmuch about Petunia minding her manners.  "Call me or Misty if you need anything."

"Thank you, Sev, but I'm fine."

Petunia sniffed audibly.  "Does your husband always lurk in doorways like a beggar in his own home?"

"No.  Sev wasn't lurking, Tuney, he's just a little overprotective."

"And who is it that you need protecting from? Surely not your own sister!" She eyed Lily critically.  "How are you feeling, Lily? You look a bit peaked.  Has he been  taking care of you properly?"

"Severus? Of course! I couldn't ask for better care, he treats me like a queen."

"And has he figured out a cure yet, or is he all just hot air? One would think, if he's such a great doctor, that he'd have you back to normal in no time, especially when he's using . . .magic," Petunia said, the word magic making her grimace.

"It doesn't work that way.  Magic can cure a great deal, more than most modern medicine, but it's not the panacea for all ills." Lily explained patiently.  "So far, Sev has managed to slow the flares with his potions and hopefully his research will enable him to put the lupus to sleep, so to speak."

"I'd certainly hope so! Considering it's his fault you got it in the first place."

"What? Tuney, Severus had nothing to do with me getting sick."

"But of course he did, little sister," purred Petunia, her brown eyes taking on a malicious glint.  "He probably treated some poor beggar in that clinic he runs and brought the germs home to you or something.  I warned you, Lily, no good would ever come of you hanging around gutter trash like Snape!"

"Severus is  not trash, Petunia!" Lily snapped.  "Simply because he came from a broken home doesn't make him beneath you. Now, I'll thank you to stop insulting my husband, and listen to me for once.  Lupus isn't contagious, like a cold or the flu.  You can't get it just by touching another person."

"Is that what he told you then?  And you believe him? He's a liar, Lil, always has been.  It's second nature to one of his sort.  Quack witch doctors, pretending they know it all.  If I were you, Lily, I'd go see a real doctor and let him treat you, then you'd be better in no time."

Lily gritted her teeth.  "Severus  is a real doctor.  One of the best in his field.  I would trust him with my life."

"Look where that got you!" Petunia cried. "If his so-called magic really worked, you'd be healed by now, but he's a sham and a fraud and I don't know how you can stand to be with him."

"Stop it, Petunia!" cried Lily, her voice rising.  "If all you're going to do is badmouth my husband, you can leave. You've always held a grudge against him, ever since the time he told you the new dress you were wearing made you look like a sick cow."

"You're always defending him, Lil. Even when we were kids and he stole five pounds from Mum's purse, you believed him over me."

"Because he was telling the truth.  Sev might have been poor, but he was never a thief, and we both know Vernon snitched that note to buy cigarettes."

"You're not remembering it right, Vernon would never need to steal a dime, he had plenty of money."

"Until he spent his allowance on gas and cigarettes.  Then he turned his hand to a bit of burglary.  Remember how you two went out behind the shed to try them out and Dad caught you and gave you the spanking of your life?"

Petunia flushed.  "He never would've found out if Snape hadn't snitched on us."

"You're crazy.  Dad saw the smoke in the air and thought the shed was on fire.  You've no one to blame but yourself, Petunia."

"Nonsense! Snape's always been no-good, just like his old man.  Blood will tell, you know.  I warned you, not to trust him-"

Lily, disgusted with her sister's narrowminded views, yawned pointedly.  "Sorry? Must have dozed off.  I can't seem to concentrate. Maybe if you came back later?"

Petunia looked at her askance, then shook her head.  "Poor Lily! Perhaps a bit of tea. . .?"

Lily waved her off.  "No, please go."

Petunia made as if to protest, but then Misty appeared with a pop, frowning at her.  "You needs to be going, miss.  You is upsetting Mistress Lily."

Petunia threw the house elf a look of utter loathing. "Disgusting creature!" she muttered, rising hastily and walking out the door.  "Goodbye, Lily.  How you can bear to be in the same house with it . . .no wonder you're still sick . . ."

As Petunia scurried from the sickroom, Harry and Sirius entered the house at the same time Severus emerged from his lab, and saw his sister-in-law leaving. "Is Lily awake? I need to give her this draft-"

"This is all your fault, Snape!" Petunia hissed, her eyes glittering.

"My fault? What are you talking about?"

"You and I both know you're responsible for her condition, you gave this disease to her, that's what comes from associating with your kind, nothing but trouble!"

"What are you implying, woman?" demanded the Master Healer sharply. "I wouldn't wish that hell on my worst enemy, let alone the woman I love. Furthermore, lupus is not passed on by partners like a sexually transmitted disease. I would suggest you get your facts straight before you open your mouth, Mrs. Dursley."

"You would say that, to cover up the fact that you are nothing but a country oaf who couldn't cure a cold, much less a real disease," Petunia began spitefully.

Sirius opened his mouth, ready to chew strips out of Petunia's hide, but another little observer beat him to it. 

"Don't you talk that way ‘bout my Daddy, Aunt Hyena-face!" Harry shouted. "He's the bestest Healer ever!"

Petunia whirled on the toddler, furious.  "Why, you insolent little whelp! Haven't you learned any manners yet?" She advanced upon Harry.

Suddenly, Sirius blocked her way, standing between her and the child, his normally merry brown eyes hard.  "Back off, bitch!" he growled.  "You lay a hand on that kid, and I swear, lady or no, I'll toss your sorry arse right into the street!"

"How dare you address me like that?" demanded Petunia haughtily, taking a hasty step back.  "You're one of them, aren't you?"

"A wizard? Yeah.  Don't you remember me, Petunia? Sirius Black? You haven't changed a bit since we were kids.  Still the same hoity-toity nasty piece of work." Sirius sneered. "Never could figure how Vi and Hal could throw a misfit like you, ‘specially when Lily was just the opposite.  Guess there's one runt in every litter, though."

Petunia gasped.  "You filthy cretin, comparing me to a-a dog!"

"Lady, that'd be an insult.  To the dog." Sirius drawled.  "And I like dogs. Now why don't you just take your high-toned fancy-arsed self right back where you came from?"

"You-you can't ordered me around!" sputtered the outraged woman. "Who do you think you are?"

"My best friend." Severus interjected, he had enjoyed watching Sirius take the insufferable Petunia down a peg.

"Figures.  Gutter trash born and bred, like you, Snape!"

Sirius burst out laughing.  "Gutter trash? Me? Girl, my ancestors go back to the time when this island was first settled by the Celtic chieftains.  I'm practically royalty.  Not that I give a damn, mind.  Now get out, you've overstayed your welcome.  You've got some nerve, coming here and accusing Sev that way, you heartless hag.  Now get out!"

"I will not!" Petunia screeched. "This is my sister's house and you can't tell me when to leave, Sirius Black!"

"Then I will," Severus put in coldly. "Go home, Petunia."

  "Shut up, Snape.  I'll leave when I'm damn good and ready and not before!"

"Wanna make a bet?" snarled Sirius.

Then he blurred into a big black dog and bared his teeth and barked threateningly at the horse-faced woman.

Petunia screamed and backed away so fast she tripped over her own feet and landed hard on her backside.

"Going somewhere, Petunia?" demanded Severus of his unwanted guest.

"Call it OFF, Snape! It's rabid!" Petunia scrambled to her feet, her dignity destroyed beyond all repair.  "Stay away, you freak of nature!"

Padfoot growled menacingly and crouched.

Petunia turned and fled, Sirius nipping playfully at her buttocks, sending her into hysterics.  She couldn't get out of the door fast enough.

"Yay, Padfoot!" cheered Harry, he had no love for his mean aunt. "Bite the bitch's arse!"

"HARRY JAMES SEVERUS!" cried his father.  "Watch your mouth, little boy!" You want me to summon a bar of soap?" Severus threatened, though he was biting the inside of his lip to keep from laughing.  Sirius was practically rolling on the floor in silent mirth.

"Oops!" Harry covered his mouth with his hand.  "Sorry, Daddy.  I forgot."

"Don't do it again."

"Yes, sir." Harry said, contrite.  Then he added, "But it's true.  I don't like her, Daddy.  She's mean and nasty and ought to be spanked."

"Right you are, Harry.  Petunia's always needed her backside tanned," Sev agreed, laughing.

Sirius transformed back and snickered uncontrollably.  "Merlin's holy eyeball, but the kid is too smart for his own good.  You sure he's only three, Sev?"

"I'm three n' a half, Uncle Siri."

"Oh.  Almost a grown-up, you little rascal." Sirius grinned.  He picked up Harry and set him upon his shoulder.  ‘Let's go tell your mother the good news."

Harry clapped his hands and began to sing, "Ding dong the wicked witch is dead!" as Sirius carried him down the hallway to Lily's room.

Behind them, Severus leaned against the doorframe, laughing so hard he almost couldn't breathe, and Lily's laughter echoed from the room as well in a sweet counterpoint.

The End.
End Notes:
Well, that was partly sad and partly funny, right?

Thanks to all my reviewers. Hope you all liked this one.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1602