Year That Trembled and Reel'd Beneath Me by Stump_Pan
Summary: Harry gives a first hand account of the events of the "Order of the Phoenix", but what's this about Snape being his dad?
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Arthur, Dumbledore, Hermione, James, Lily, Lucius, McGonagall, Neville, Petunia, Remus, Ron, Sirius, Umbridge, Vernon, Voldemort
Snape Flavour: Canon Snape, Snape is Stern
Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Family, General
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 5th summer, 5th Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Alcohol Use, Profanity
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 29 Completed: Yes Word count: 64986 Read: 119772 Published: 05 Jul 2008 Updated: 12 Mar 2014
A Little More Conversation by Stump_Pan
Author's Notes:
Harry checks in with Sirius.

Present

Harry shifted on his stool.  He was beginning to wish he hadn’t chosen to a different way to answer Bridget’s question.  Or that the Headmaster had made attendance optional.  At least than there would only be people who wanted to hear what he had to say.

Harry spun around to look at the Headmaster.  “Err… would it be okay if we took a couple minute break?  I think we all could use some time to get up and stretch our legs.”  

Dumbledore nodded before getting up from his seat and announcing, “We will have a ten minute break.  There will be a buzzer to inform you when there are two minutes remaining.  You are to be back in your seats before the ten minutes are up.”

There was a great amount of scraping and chatter as the students got up from their seats, some speaking to friends, others just standing and stretching.

Harry hopped off his stool and headed for the head table.  He could almost feel the hole his father’s eyes had been drilling into the back of his head.

Harry approached the edge of the platform, but his father beckoned him closer.  Not bothering to use the stairs Harry pulled himself up onto the stage and made his way to his father sat.  Severus raised an eyebrow at his son’s display of laziness.

“I should take points for that Mr. Potter,” Severus said once the boy was standing almost directly in front of him.

Harry only shrugged, “Is there something you wanted?”

Severus shook his head.  “I only wished to tell you that you are doing a good job.”

Harry smiled a little, “Thanks.”

“You are welcome.  Perhaps you should have something to drink?  You have been speaking for an extended period of time.”  Severus said offering a goblet of water.

It was clear to Harry this was not simply a suggestion.

“Okay,” Harry said taking the goblet.  He had to admit the water felt good on his parched throat.  

Severus made him drink two more goblets full.  The buzzer as students started filling back into their seats.

“Suppose I should get back to my seat.”

“Indeed.”

Harry handed the goblet back to his father.  He walked to the edge of the platform and jumped down.  He just smiled at the cross look he got from Professor McGonagall for this.  Since the witch had discovered Harry and Severus relationship she left much of Harry’s discipline to his father.  Harry took his seat looking back to the head table quickly.  His face fell slightly as he saw his head of house speaking to his father.  Severus nodded at whatever McGonagall was saying.

The Headmaster rose from his seat and clapped his hands.  The dull mummers of conversations instantly died. “Harry if you would please continue your story.”

“As things got better between me and Dad, things between me and Sirius got weird.  Sirius didn’t like me spending time with Dad.  He sort of saw is as dishonoring the sacrifice James made for me or something.  I didn’t want to lose him, but I also wanted to build my relationship with my dad.  It was a super awkward place to be those few months.  Hell, it’s not exactly a great place to be even now.  That’s after they made their peace.  Before, it was like being stuck in the middle of a war zone and I didn’t even have to attend the Order meetings with them. Personally, I’m surprised the Order Headquarters are still standing with the rows those two got into.  At least from what I’ve been told about them.”  Harry explained.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

May 1996

Harry’s frown deepened as he read more of the latest letter from his godfather.  He knew he was telling Sirius less, but he wasn’t sure how much Sirius wanted to know about what he was doing with the professor.  From reading his latest  letter it  sounded like Sirius was  more upset about not going on with Harry’s lessons.  In the past when Sirius asked about their lessons he’d been so nasty about the professor it just seemed like it was better idea to leave him out of it.

“What’s wrong mate?”  Ron asked seeing the look on his best friend’s face.

“Snuffles is mad at me.” Harry explained.

“Snuffles?  What’s he got to be made at you ‘bout?” Ron asked confused.

“He wants to know more about my Remedial Potions lessons,” Harry explained.

Ron shrugged, “Tell him then.  I get why he wants to know more.  I wouldn’t let you go to that greasy git if it were up to me.”

“Don’t call him that,” Harry snapped, at the same time Hermione hissed, “Ron.”

“What?  Up until a couple months ago you would have said the same thing.”  Ron said defensively.

“Ron you have to know the professor is treating Harry better.”  Hermione scolded.  “If he was so horrible why would Harry have spent so much time with the professor during Easter Break?”

Ron shrugged.  “He was in detention wasn’t he?”

“Of course not,” an exasperated Hermione said.

“Then how come he made Harry spend the whole day doing those potion ingredients?” Ron demanded.

“He was helping me.  I told him I was thinking about trying to become an Auror.  He said if I didn’t pull my potions grade up I wouldn’t make it into N.E.W.T. level Potions.  He made me do all those ingredients to practice my technique.  It’s the first step in becoming a better brewer according to him.” Harry explained.

“Yeah, whatever,” Ron grumbled.  “Still if Snuffles wants to know more I’d tell him.  Don’t want him coming for the school or something.”

“Yeah,” Harry agreed reluctantly.

“Harry, I’d talk to the professor first if I were you.” Hermione advised.  “We don’t know how much the professor is telling the Order.  If Hedwig gets intercepted again we can’t give up everything  that way either.”

Harry nodded. “I’ll talk to him tonight.  Maybe I can Floo Snuffles or something.”

“I don’t know if that’s a good idea,” Hermione said uneasily.  “You said you were nearly caught the last time.”

“Yeah, but that was in Gryffindor Common Room.  If I talk to him from the professor’s quarters there should be no reason for that toad to be watching.” Harry explained.

Hermione looked no more at ease, “Make sure you ask the professor before you do anything Harry, please.”

Harry conceded.  “Fine, Hermione.  I’ll make sure I ask the professor if I can Floo his most hated enemy from his quarters.”  Harry’s tone was almost as sarcastic as Snape’s.

“Hey, she’s got a point mate.  He might know more about what Umbridge is up to.”  Ron said.

“Alright, I’ll ask.”  Harry agreed sincerely this time.

Later that evening Harry headed down to dungeons with Sirius’ letter in his bag.  Harry was nervous before his Occlumency lesson for the first time in ages.  Those nerves weren’t lost during the lesson and it showed.

“What is your problem this evening, Potter,” Severus demanded after breaking past Harry’s shield for the third time in almost as many minutes.

“Sorry sir,” Harry said distractedly.

“Your apologies do nothing for me.  What is distracting you?”  Severus snapped.

Harry sighed and pulled the letter from his bag.  He handed into the professor reluctantly.  Severus quirked an eyebrow at the boy’s odd behavior.  He quickly scanned through the mutt’s letter.  Of course, the boy would be distracted.  His godfather was basically accused Harry of lying and dishonoring James Potter. Severus would kill the mutt the next time he saw him.

“Sir,” Harry asked softly.

“What is it Potter?” Severus bit out.

Harry shifted his weight back and front anxiously.  “Could I …err… could I maybe Floo him… Sirius I mean.  I want to talk to him about what’s going on… and Hermione pointed out that somebody tried to read the letter Hedwig was carrying.  The last time I talked to Sirius somebody…”

“Do stop rambling, Harry.”  Severus commanded. “You may use my Floo.” Severus waved his hand dismissively.

“Thanks,” Harry said offering the man a weak smile.

“Yes, yes.  You are not to tell the mutt about our Occlumency lessons, or the fact you have been spending your free time down here.” Severus instructed.

“But sir,” Harry objected.  “That’s what he wants to know about.”

“It is not my fault he has yet to learn he cannot always get what he wants.” Severus shot back.

The two wizards’ eye met, neither wanting to back down.  “Fine,” Harry pouted after a tense few minutes.  “I won’t tell him about that stuff.  What am I supposed to say then?”

“That is your concern.  I don’t care if Black feels left out.  He has no need to know what is going on in our lessons,” Severus said.  “I will let you have your privacy.”

With a click of his heels the older wizard disappeared down the hallway further into his quarters.

Harry sat back on his haunches in front of the fireplace.  He wished he’d been given a better idea what to tell Sirius.  Or better yet, been told what exactly he was allowed to talk about with his godfather.  Finding his resolve Harry threw the Floo Powder in and called out 13 Grimmauld Place.

Harry kept his eyes shut as the world spun green around him.  Harry opened his eyes once more to the sight of kitchen table legs and scuffed brown shoes.

“Hello,” Harry said after a moment.

There was a screech as a chair was pushed back then footsteps.  Finally Remus’s face appeared before the fire.

“Harry, what are you doing here?” Remus offered in way of greeting.

“I wanted to talk to Sirius.”  Harry explained.

“I’ll just go and get him then.”  Remus said before disappearing out of sight.

A moment later the two wizards came into view.

“It was good seeing you,” Remus said rising once more.

“You can stay… Please stay,” Harry pleaded.  Maybe if somebody else was there Sirius wouldn’t get as angry.

“What’s up kiddo?”  Sirius asked sitting more comfortably on the floor.  “Are you sure this is such a good idea after last time?”

“I wanted to talk to you about your last letter.  Professor Snape is letting me use his Floo.  I can’t imagine Umbridge is watching this one.”  Harry explained.

Sirius grunted.

“Look, I just wanted to tell you I’m fine.  My lessons are going fine.  Professor Snape thinks I’m making good progress.”  Harry told them.

“Yeah and how is the bat treating you?”  Sirius demanded.

“We’re fine.” Harry rushed.

“That’s what you used to say about the Dursleys.”  Sirius countered.

“Sirius, honestly, we’re good.” Harry protested.  “He’s treating me alright.  He’s telling me about my mum.  He’s helping me with Potions even.”

“Of course he’s telling you about Lily; the slimy git was obsessed with her.  I bet he’s telling you all about the horrible thing James used to do to him too.” Sirius said darkly.

Harry shock his head.  “No.  We haven’t really talked about James.”

“Oh no, of course not no.  It’s probably best you just not talk about him. I bet he’s hoping if you don’t talk about him you’ll forget about James and then he can become Daddy without a fight.  I should let you get back to Daddy-dearest.”  Sirius said.  Before Harry had a chance to object Sirius was gone.

“He hasn’t, Remus.  He’s not… Like I could forget James…” Harry said close to tears.

“Don’t worry about it, Harry.  He’s just feeling a bit put out.  He’s taking it harder than all of us.  He can’t understand why James didn’t tell him he wasn’t your father.  I’ll talk to him.” Remus reassured.

“Thanks,” Harry said pulling his head back through the flames feeling completely unsatisfied.  If he had to bet, things just got worse between him and Sirius. 

The End.
End Notes:
Next time Harry goes snooping...

Thanks for reading.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1604