Year That Trembled and Reel'd Beneath Me by Stump_Pan
Summary: Harry gives a first hand account of the events of the "Order of the Phoenix", but what's this about Snape being his dad?
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Arthur, Dumbledore, Hermione, James, Lily, Lucius, McGonagall, Neville, Petunia, Remus, Ron, Sirius, Umbridge, Vernon, Voldemort
Snape Flavour: Canon Snape, Snape is Stern
Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Family, General
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 5th summer, 5th Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Alcohol Use, Profanity
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 29 Completed: Yes Word count: 64986 Read: 119780 Published: 05 Jul 2008 Updated: 12 Mar 2014
Whiter Shade of Pale by Stump_Pan
Author's Notes:
Harry and Voldemort battle...

Present

“Voldemort wasn’t very happy he was losing his fight to Dumbledore.  He considered himself the greatest wizard ever it wouldn’t do to lose this fight,” Harry explained casually, “Well, he figured a good way to distract Professor Dumblerdore was to possess me.”

Harry shuttered at the memory.  “That was the worse few minutes of my life.  It was painful.  It hurt more than being bitten by the basilisk, having to grow all the bones back in my arm, or falling over 50 feet.”

“Anyway, if Voldemort could take this back he probably would.  We had no way of knowing it then, but possessing me was the final nail in his coffin, sort of speak.  While Professor Dumbledore was temporarily removed as headmaster he went hunting Voldemort’s Horcruxes.  I think I mentioned those before,” Harry watched as several heads bobbed in confirmation.

“Okay, great.  I can’t really put off explaining them anymore, or the story doesn’t make any sense,” Harry became very antsy as he describe the next part of the story.  “A Horcrux is an especially evil bit of magic that allows a wizard, or witch I guess, to store part of their soul in an object.  Most people would never think to do this.  It requires the person to tear their soul apart.  Murder is an easy way to do that.”

“Then the person takes that part of their soul and stores it in an object.  As long as that object is around the person can’t truly die.  Like I said, most people if they do this make one maybe.  Well as everybody knows Voldemort was never normal.  Instead of making one, he made five on purpose, one accident and then there was the bit of soul in his body/floating around after he tried to kill me the first time.”

Harry held up seven fingers, “The first Horcrux destroyed was probably the earliest one made.  This was the diary Voldemort owned when he was about 16 or so.  It was also how the Chamber of Secrets got opened in my second year.  I destroyed it with the basilisk fang that was slowly killing me.  I can’t say how much I owe Fawkes for healing me from that.”  Harry ticked one finger down.

“The next one was a ring.  The ring at one point belonged to Salazar Slytherin, one of Voldemort’s ancestors.  He stole the ring from his wizarding grandfather before murdering the man and his uncle too.  Voldemort made it into a Horcrux and eventually returned to the shack where his magical family lived and hide the ring.  Professor Dumbledore destroyed this one in his unexpected time off,” Harry ticked down his second finger.

“The third one, I’m not sure where that is in our list of order of creation, but it was third to be destroyed.  This one was a necklace.  It too was at one points Salazar Slytherin’s and Voldemort’s uncle’s.  He probably took it when he stole the ring.  The weird thing was, we found it in Sirius’ house last summer when we were clearing out all the dark artifacts and rubbish and stuff.  Nobody realized it had part of Voldemort’s soul in it at the time, obviously.  It was just a locket nobody could open.  Kreacher, Sirius’ house elf said Sirius’ brother, Regulus, a failed Death Eater brought it back one day.  That being the case we thought it might be a good idea for the Headmaster to look at it.  He destroyed it over the summer around the same time he destroyed the fourth item on the list.  He used Godric Gryffidor’s sword, the one I used to kill the basilisk, to destroy both of them.” Harry ticked down his third finger.

“The fourth, as I mention was destroyed over the summer.  This one is a little scary because everybody in this room, probably saw it at some point, at least if they went to Hogwarts in the last fifty years, they just didn’t know it.”  Harry waited for the excited muttering to die down.  “I know spooky, right?  This Horcrux was in Voldemort’s special award to the school.  He got it while he was still Tom Riddle, for helping to capture the person who supposedly opened the Chamber of Secrets.  That person didn’t do it of course.  Moaning Myrtle died because of Voldemort did, but that doesn’t matter anymore.  Professor Dumbledore thinks that Voldemort created the Horcrux when he came for an interview to be the next Defense Against the Dark Arts professor.  He originally wanted to teach.  When he didn’t get the job he must have hexed it too.  Since after that, nobody’s been able to hold the job for more than a year.  And people day Dad really wants it.” Harry let out a soft chuckle at his own joke.  He ticked down his fourth finger.

“The fifth was the last of the intentionally created Horcruxes.  This was Nagini, his pet snake.  He created her sometime after he disappeared after his first fall.  He was able to use part of her life force to sustain himself, and her body to move around, so why not store a bit of his soul in there too.  He should have probably protected her a bit better.  All the other Horcruxes had loads of hexes and charms and things to prevent them from being destroyed.  This one, Nagini, was killed with one good hex, when Mr. Weasley chopped off her head at Christmas.”  Harry put down another finger.

“These last two bits were also in living things.  There was one that was in Voldemort’s body,” Harry explained,” and the last one, the accidental Horcrux, was me.”  A stunned silence fell over the crowd.

“What happened next was really personal...”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

June 1996 (the week before)

Images dizzyingly flashed before Harry’s eyes:  Sirius hugging him at Christmas, unwrapping Mrs. Weasley first Christmas sweater, having tea and biscuits with his dad, his mum and James standing over his crib as a baby.  They were all moments Harry felt safe and loved, the teen realized.  He would have smiled if everything didn’t hurt so much.  Maybe it wouldn’t after a little nap.  Everything went black…

Harry opened his eyes again after what felt like hours later.  Nothing hurt, he was rested.  Harry looked around him.  This certainly wasn’t the Ministry.

“An interesting choice,” a female voice behind him commented.

Harry knew that voice, even if he’d only in his memory.  “Mum,” Harry said spinning around.

“Hello dear,” Lily welcomed warmly.

“Where am I?”  Harry asked surveying his surroundings once more.

“It looks like King’s Cross to me,” Lily said cheekily.

Harry let out an annoyed huff, “I meant why am I here?”

“You’re just like your father, so very literal.” Lily teased.

“Dad?  Which dad?  I have two.”  Harry accused.

Lily’s face fell.  “I know sweetie.  I know.  You should never have found out the truth that way.  Tuney can be a bitch sometimes.  I never thought she’d treat you the way she did no matter who your father was.”

“Yeah, well she did,” Harry grumbled angrily.

“I know.  No amount of apologizing can make up for it, but I am sorry.” Lily said.

“That’s what everybody says,” Harry complained.

“That’s enough of that young man,” James scolded as he appeared from nowhere.

“Dad,” said a bewildered Harry.

“Glad to know I still hold that title.” James said grinning.

“Errr…” Harry uttered looking uneasily at his trainers.

“Harry relax,” James told him.  “I know you call Sn-Severus ‘Dad’.  It’s fine with me.  He’s getting a chance with you he always should have.  I only wish it hadn’t take you two so long to find out.” James said, his sincerity clear.

“Really?”  Harry asked surprised.

“I may never have gotten along with him, but he was your mum’s best friend and with all that he’s done to look after you… he should have the chance to know his son,” James explained.  “I want you know this too, Harry.  I never loved you any less for not being mine by blood.”

Harry smiled for the first time since waking in this strange place.  “Thanks.”

Looking around this odd version of King’s Cross.  It was very like the real station, but everything was white and there were no other people. 

Once again he asked, “Where am I?”

“You’re in the place between places,’’ Lily explained.

Harry gave her a very puzzled expression response.

“Think of it as sort of a waiting room for the soul, Harry,” James explained.  “This is where you come before you ready to move on to the next life.”

“I’m dead?”  Harry asked disbelievingly.

“Not quite,” James said.

Harry gave the man another puzzled expression.  “If I’m not dead, how can I be here?”

“You are a very special boy, Harry.”  Lily said softly.  “When You-Know-Who gave you that scar his Killing Curse backfired.”

“I know,” Harry agreed nodding.

“Yes, dear.  What nobody knew at the time was when that curse backfired a part, a very small part of You-Know-Who’s soul attached itself to your body.” Lily continued.

“I have a bit of Voldemort in me?”  Harry asked.

“No,” James said.  “You did, but not anymore.  When You-Know-Who possessed you tonight at the Ministry your body couldn’t handle the stress.  That’s why you’re here.  When you go back the bit of You-Know-Who will be gone.  It died when your body did.”

A confused Harry asked.  “When I go back?  I can go back?”

“You can,” Lily confirmed.

“What if I don’t want to go back?” Harry asked uncertainly.

“We can’t make you choose one way of the other.”  James told him.  “Harry, you need to know if you don’t go back that many people will suffer and die.  It says in the prophesy one will die at the hand of the other.  Only you can truly kill off Voldemort.”

“It’s not fair!” Harry protested close to tears.

“I know sweetie,” Lily said pulling her son to her chest.  “I know.  This will be the last time you will ever have to face him.”

Harry relaxed into his mother’s comforting presence.  He let out all of his hurt and frustrations.  He let her touch sooth him.  When the tears finally stopped Harry felt relieved.  He’d never had a chance to do that.  He wished he never had to leave.

“Come on Harry,” James said placing a firm hand on the boy’s shoulder.  “You’ve got people waiting.”

Harry nodded dejectedly.

“You’ll be fine.” James promised.  The man then pulled Harry into a fierce hug.  “Give Severus Hell for me,” James told him cheerily before placing a rough kiss on the top of his head.  “And tell Sirius to give him a break.”

Harry him a grateful smile in return.

“Ignore him,” his mother told him.  She too pulled Harry into a tight embrace.  “Be happy Harry,” Lily commanded.

Harry nodded. “I will.  I love you, both of you.”

“We’ll be waiting for you,” Lily and James promised.

“Wait, I have to ask one more thing.”  Harry said turning back.

“Yes dear,” Lily prompted softly.

“I don’t look like Da… How come I don’t look like Severus?  I’m not going to wake up one morning looking totally different or something am I?”  Harry asked nervously.

“No dear,” Lily reassured.  “Some magic cannot be undone.  You look like you always will.  Now go.”

“Wake up, Harry.  Come on wake up.” Severus pleaded.

The man sat beside his son’s apparently lifeless body.

“Let him go Snape.”  Sirius barked.  “He’s gone.”

“No,” Severus protested.  “No, he’s done it before.  He can do it again.”

“He’s dead Snivellus.  There’s nothing we can do about it.” Sirius snapped.

Harry choose that moment to let out a soft groan.

“Harry,” both wizards cried excitedly.

“Dad,” Harry all buy whimpered.  He hurt too much to move.

“Stay still,” Severus told his son.

Harry gladly stopped moving.  “What happened?”

“It is unclear.  I believe the Dark Lord tried to possess you.  However, his attempt failed a moment later.  He is nearby, too weak to move.” Severus explained.

“Help me up,” Harry requested. “I can kill him.”

“No,” Severus said pushing Harry back down.

“Dad, I can do this.”  Harry protested.

“No,” Severus said continuing to hold the boy down.  “Let the Headmaster deal with him.”

“He can’t,” Harry begged his father to listen.  “It has to be me.  The prophesy says it has to be me.  Please Dad. Let me up.”

Severus’ face tightened, but he gave the boy a nod taking his hand off his chest.  Sirius helped Severus get Harry unsteadily to his feet.  The young wizard held out his hand for his wand.  After a moment’s hesitation Sirius placed it in the boy’s palm.

Voldemort had also gotten to his feet, much more gracefully.  He pointed his wand at Harry.

“This ends now Potter,” Voldemort hissed.

“Fine,” Harry agreed “Expelliarmus!”  Harry yelled.  At the same time Voldemort yelled, “Avada Kadvra!”

Two bursts of green light passed each other, one barely missed Harry, the other hitting Voldemort squarely in the chest.  Voldemort fell in a crumpled heap to the ground dead.  Harry spun around to see Severus tucking his wand way.

“You killed him?” Harry demanded.

“Yes,” Severus confirmed.  “I knew you couldn’t no matter how much he deserved it.  Now come, you have a trip to the Hospital Wing in your future.”

Harry groaned, “Can’t I just go back to your quarters?  I got possessed by Voldemort isn’t that punishment enough?”

Severus shook his head at his son’s complaints.  “An interesting choice of topic, Harry.  We will have a long discussion of your punishment, but only after Madam Pomfrey give you a clean bill of health.”

“Yes sir,” Harry grumbled, not fighting the tight embraces his father pulled him into as they crossed the Atrium to the fireplaces once more.

The End.
End Notes:
Happy New Year everyone. Thank you for reading.

Harry survived his encounter with Voldemort, will he survive Severus' wrath?


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1604