Year That Trembled and Reel'd Beneath Me by Stump_Pan
Summary: Harry gives a first hand account of the events of the "Order of the Phoenix", but what's this about Snape being his dad?
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Arthur, Dumbledore, Hermione, James, Lily, Lucius, McGonagall, Neville, Petunia, Remus, Ron, Sirius, Umbridge, Vernon, Voldemort
Snape Flavour: Canon Snape, Snape is Stern
Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Family, General
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 5th summer, 5th Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Alcohol Use, Profanity
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 29 Completed: Yes Word count: 64986 Read: 119784 Published: 05 Jul 2008 Updated: 12 Mar 2014
Father Knows Best by Stump_Pan
Author's Notes:
Harry heads to the hospital...

Present

“I was already back at the castle and tucked into bed in the Hospital Wing by the time the Ministry officials arrived.  Fudge was shocked to say the least, or so I’m told, when he saw Voldemort’s dead body in his lobby.  The Order captured most of the Death Eaters that were left in the Ministry,” Harry said causally.

“Bellatrix was one of the last taken down.  She put up a good fight, but she under estimated her pink-haired niece, Tonks.  Bellatrix tried to Curcio Tonks and Tonks didn’t take too kindly to that.  Tonks killed Bellatrix just after Fudge arrived,”  Harry let out of soft chuckle, “That was probably some greeting.”

“Anyway,” Harry said pushing his glasses back up his nose,“The Headmaster told Fudge about everything that happened that night, or at least what he knew of it.  He made sure Sirius didn’t get Kissed by the dementors too.  Fudge almost did that, even after they showed him Pettigrew’s dead body.”

“All the Death Eaters were rounded up and taken to Azkaban.  Their trials start next week, I think….”  Harry frowned, he wasn’t sure this was his place to mention this or not.  He shook his head.  The fact both of Draco’s parents were arrested and he was now being sent to live with his Aunt Andromeda was his own business.  Harry wouldn’t be the one to make it public.  Although, Harry wouldn’t be surprised to see the story in the Daily Prophet over the next couple of days.

“Like I said, I missed all the excitement since I was back here at the castle.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

June 1996 (The week before)

Severus pulled Harry closer to him as they approached the fireplaces.

“Granger, Weasley, come,” Severus called from his spot.

The two teens came running almost instantly.  

“Is Harry alright Professor?” Hermione asked nervously.

“I’m fine,” Harry mumbled.

“You are not.”  His father protested.  “You and your little friends are going straight to the Hospital Wing.”

“You said that already,” Harry pointed out.

“Indeed,” Severus agreed.  “Granger go through first.  You should be able to Floo directly to the Hospital Wing.”  Severus pulled a small pouch of powder from his pocket and offered it the teen.  Hermione took a pinch before passing it to Ron. The redhead took his own share and gave the sack to Harry.

“No,” Severus said as Harry readied to take some powder.

“Huh?” Harry protested stupidly.

“You will be Flooing with me.” Severus explained.

“Dad, I’m not a little kid,” Harry protested.

“You are injured.  You have difficulties with Floos on a normal basis and I will not be forced to track you down halfway across the country because your pride would not let you Floo with your father.”  Severus said tightening his grip slightly as if to prove his point.

“Fine,” Harry pouted.  He didn’t miss the amused looks on his friends’ faces.

“Whenever you are ready Ms. Granger,” Severus said.

“Yes sir,” Hermione said stepping into the fireplace.  “Hogwarts Hospital Wing.”

Ron followed shortly after.  Finally it was Harry and Severus’ turn.  Harry would deny it if he were asked, but he was grateful for his father support.  It was becoming harder to stand by the minute.

“You are fine, Harry,” Severus soothed as the teen sagged further into his side.

“I know,” Harry agreed resting his head on his father’s chest as they stepped into the fireplace.

A moment later the pair arrived in the fireplace of the Hospital Wing in a swirl of green flames.  Severus guided them out of the fireplace almost gracefully, quite a feat for having an almost unconscious teen sagged against him.

Madam Pomfrey looked up at the sound of the fireplace coming to life once more.  “Finish changing Mr. Weasley, I will be back in a moment.”

The witch came fussing over to the freshly arrived pair.  “What happened Severus?”

“He was possessed by the Dark Lord,” Severus explained picking up the teen carefully.  He moved toward a bed as quickly as possible without jostling the teen too severely.

“My goodness,” Pomfrey uttered.  “He does certainly seem to find his share of trouble.”

“More than,” Severus corrected as he gently placed his son on the bed, the sheets already tuned down.  Severus pushed a lock of hair off the boy’s forehead.  He then gently plucked the glasses off of Harry’s nose.  Severus didn’t realized the teen had fallen asleep.  He wondered when that had  happened.

Severus stepped away from the boy’s bed at the mediwitch’s gesture.  She waved her wand in a complex series of loops conducting a basic scan of Harry to determine the damage.  Severus never left Harry’s bedside.  He watched the boy’s chest rise and fall in a deep easy rhythm.

“How is he,” Severus asked as the nurse put away her wand.

“He is exhausted.  There should be no lasting damage from the possession or the battle.  He is a very lucky young man, Severus.  Make sure you take good care of him.” Pomfrey ordered.

It was then she noticed the blood on the younger man’s robes.  “Let me take a look at you.” Pomfrey requested.

“I am fine.” Severus protested.

“Let me be the judge of that,” the mediwitch said forcing Severus onto the bed beside Harry.  The witch set about casting the same intricate series of loops.  “You need Blood Replenisher and rest, Severus.”  She said surveying the results.

Severus nodded in understanding.  “I will see to it.”

“No, I will.  You are staying the night here,” Pomfrey corrected.

Severus frowned at the statement, but acquiesced none the less.  He pulled out his wand lazily transfiguring his robes into a nightshirt, before doing the same to Harry’s.

“You need your rest Severus,” Pomfrey reminded the man.

“I am aware.  However, I believe my son will be infinitely more comfortable resting under the covers.”  Severus said stepping to Harry’s bed.

The man ever so gently pulled the blankets over the sleeping teen.  Severus tucked them firmly around his son.  Harry slept through the entire process.  Severus counted it as a success.  He hesitated a moment before placing a kiss on the boy’s brow.  With his son set to rights Severus climbed into his own bed.

“Your potion,” Pomfrey said handing him a vial before the wizard got too comfortable.

Severus grimaced at the taste, but downed the contents in one go.

Severus was roused a few short hours later by the screams of an adolescent girl.  Severus cast his eyes around to determine the cause of such a disturbance.  Finding nothing Severus turned to Hermione.

“You had better have a good explanation for such a commotion Ms. Granger.” Severus warned.

“Our O.W.L. Professor!”  Hermione wailed.  “Our Charms written exam is almost half over.  We missed the exam.  It counts for forty percent of our total mark.”

Severus looked to the other two occupants of the ward.  Neither boy steered at their friend’s clear distress.  Severus pondered the meaning of such heavy sleeping.  “I am aware of the significance your exam, Ms. Granger.  I am sure you will find the Ministry will grant you, Mr. Weasley, and my son special dispensation based on the events of last night.  You will need to sit your exams before term begins in the fall.  That is true, but you need not do so this morning.  Severus said doing his best to reassure the young witch.

How his son could enjoy the company of such a high strung young woman Severus could not fathom.

“Are you sure, sir?” Hermione asked.

“As sure as I can be from my present location,” Severus confirmed.

Hermione sat back on her bed seemingly placated.  Severus moved to get out of bed as the mediwitch came bustling up the ward.  

“Do not make me stick you to that bed, Severus Snape,” Madam Pomfey warned.

Severus lay back reluctantly.  “I need to speak to the Headmaster,” Severus told the nurse.

“You need another dose of Blood Replenisher.  You can speak with the Headmaster when he arrives back at the castle.  He is still at the Ministry dealing with the fallout of last night,” Pomfrey said shoving a vial of potion into Severus’ hand.

Severus obediently took the potion making a face once again at the taste.  “How were the boys able to sleep through Ms. Granger’s outburst?” Severus asked handing the vial back to Pomfrey.

“I doused both of them with Dreamless Sleep.  I made sure Mr. Weasley took some before bed, I administered Harry’s dose when he woke around breakfast time.” Pomfrey explained.  “You should try to rest some more.”

Severus nodded, but was not sure he could if he tried.  He laid back none the less.  He turned to watch Harry sleep.

“He’s fine, Severus,” Pomfrey said taking in the professor’s actions.  “I will wake you when Harry wakes.”

Severus nodded again, his eyes slipping closed once more.

Harry sat in bed with a shot.  He was surprised to see his father asleep in a chair beside his bed his head resting on the foot of Harry’s bed.  Harry looked around the Hospital Wing.  The room was bright, probably mid-afternoon.  There were no other patients.  His father was the only person in sight in fact.

Harry turned as the doors at the end of the room creaked open.  The sound was enough to rouse the drowsing Severus.  Harry looked to the doors to see Dumbledore coming towards him.

“Good afternoon gentlemen,” Albus greeted cheerfully.

“Headmaster,” Severus said coolly.

“Afternoon sir,” Harry greeted much more warmly.

“Harry, you will be happy to note you have been granted special permission to take your O.W.L.s at your convenience,” Albus informed the pair.

“Weasley and Granger?” Severus asked.

“Were granted the same leeway,” Albus confirmed.  “Also, the Minister wishes me to tell you that if you or your companions wish to become Aurors, or any other Ministry position, you are welcome to them, regardless of O.W.L.s and N.E.W.T.s.”

“Madam Pomfrey has cleared you both to return to your quarters.  She thinks it would be best for Harry to rest in your quarters for the next several days, Severus,”  Albus told them.

Severus nodded.

“That’s okay. I can go back to the Tower,” Harry protested.

“You will do as you’re told Potter,”  Severus said pushing his hair back.

“I’ll be alright Professor,” Harry said.

“You are sleeping in our quarters until you are given permission to return to the Tower, Potter.  Now, let the Headmaster finish,” Severus snapped glaring the teen down.

“But I don’t want to intrude,” Harry protested.

“You are not intruding if it is your home,” Severus corrected.

“But I don’t have a bed,” Harry countered.

“Gods Potter!  Everything will be seen to.  Now hush and let the Headmaster speak.” Severus snapped at his son.

Harry looked at his father uncertainly, but said nothing.  

“Severus, I will cover your classes for the next week, under order of Madam Pomfrey,” Albus said.  The Potions Master frowned, but made no further protest.

Albus continued.  “You’ll be glad to hear Sirius’ name was officially cleared by the Ministry.  He can rejoin the rest of wizarding society whenever he is ready.  As a special treat in light of last night’s events all exams for students not sitting O.W.L.s or N.E.W.T.s are cancelled.”

The Headmaster looked from father to son,“As you can imagine the press is already clamoring to get your side of the story.  I have received at least a dozen requests from the Daily Prophet for the story.”

Harry turned his father,“Do I have to talk to them?”

Severus shook his head.

“I will never force you to speak with those imbeciles.  However, if you do not speak for yourself Skeeter, and beasts of a similar ilk, will try to tell the tale themselves,” Severus told his son.

Harry frowned, “Can I wait at least?”

Severus nodded,“We will prepare together.”

Albus smiled at the easy exchange between father and son.  The two would do well together.  “One last thing..” Albus said.

Severus quirked an eyebrow curiously,“The Ministry wishes to bestow Harry the Order of Merlin, First Class.”

“What about Dad?” Harry requested.

Albus frowned slightly,“There was no mention of Severus in the conversation with the Minister.”

“Then tell them to shove it,” Harry said angrily.

“Harry,” Severus protested.

“No,” Harry snapped. “I couldn’t have done it without you.  If they don’t want to admit you did anything then they can keep their stupid award.”

Severus let out a bark of laughter,“You truly are you mother’s son.  Lily could never stand for those who deserved recognition being left out, no matter the circumstances.”  

Harry gave his father an indignant look, but took it as a compliment anyway.

“Very well,” Albus said rising, “I will pass on your sentiments to the Minister.  Keep me apprised of your plans with the press.  I will make any necessary arrangements.  Now, I believe it is time for you boys to go home.” 

The End.
End Notes:
Only one more chapter left. Next week Harry and Sev have a much needed talk about Harry's action and find out just how much trouble our boy is in.

I'll see you next week.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1604