Year That Trembled and Reel'd Beneath Me by Stump_Pan
Summary: Harry gives a first hand account of the events of the "Order of the Phoenix", but what's this about Snape being his dad?
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Arthur, Dumbledore, Hermione, James, Lily, Lucius, McGonagall, Neville, Petunia, Remus, Ron, Sirius, Umbridge, Vernon, Voldemort
Snape Flavour: Canon Snape, Snape is Stern
Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Family, General
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 5th summer, 5th Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Alcohol Use, Profanity
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 29 Completed: Yes Word count: 64986 Read: 119792 Published: 05 Jul 2008 Updated: 12 Mar 2014
The Truth Will Out by Stump_Pan

Harry shifted slightly on his seat. The stool was becoming more uncomfortable by the moment. He had been sitting for quite a while already and had barely begun this part of his story. He let out an inaudible sigh, he would have to deal with it for now. Though, he was not sure how much longer he could stand sitting.

Shifting again, Harry began his story once more. “That night there was an Order meeting. Most everybody was there, Dumbledore, Lupin, Tonks, I think the only people missing were out of the country and that was Charlie Weasley and Hagrid. Unfortunately for me, Professor Snape was there. He had been the earliest to arrive hoping to speak to Professor Dumbledore and depart. He would get his chance to speak to Professor Dumbledore, but not until after the meeting. Since he was there though, Mrs. Weasley didn’t see the harm in putting to work. He was setting everything out that was going to be needed that night when he saw the letter sitting on the table. From what he’s told me, my mum’s name on the parchment sparked his curiosity, so he picked up the letter to read it later.”

Harry looked over his shoulder once again and offered his father a cheeky smile before turning back to the audience.

“By the way, if he ever found out I did something like that, he’d hex me into next week. The same thing goes for any of you, so don’t go snooping around his stuff.”

There was some light laughter and Harry let it die down before beginning to speak again. “Like I said, Dad had found the letter at headquarters, but hadn’t had a chance to read it yet. As it turned out he wouldn’t get the chance to for a couple of days cause he was busy doing stuff for Dumbledore. When he did get a chance to read it though, Dumbledore was probably wishing he had keep Dad busy for the next fifty years.” Chuckling again Harry let himself drift back to memories of his father’s first reaction to their relationship.

****
August 1995

The floo to the Headmaster’s office sprung to life in a whoosh of green flames and black robes the Potions Master emerged from the fireplace a dangerous gleam in his eye.

“Good afternoon Severus, would you care for a lemon drop?” Albus asked kindly holding up a tray of sweets.

“I have a son!” Snape hissed ignoring the Headmaster’s attempt at making small talk.

“Ah, I see you have found out the truth about our dear Harry.” Dumbledore said setting the sweets back down on his desk.

“Yes you meddling old coot! Why didn’t you tell me the boy was mine?” Snape said slamming the letter on the desk.

The older man gestured to his companion to take a seat. Giving his mentor a steely glare Severus sat stiffly in one of the chairs sitting on the opposite side of the desk from Dumbledore.

“Lily wished that I keep the identity of the boy’s heritage a secret. I had no reason to betray her wishes. Harry was loved and well taken care of by his parents. James seemed to relish the opportunity to father a child even if it was not his. One of Lily’s greatest fears that James would be unwilling to accept the child, but those fears were quenched the moment Harry took his first breaths.” Dumbledore explained.

His eye momentarily left Severus’ to select a lemon drop from the dish on his desk. A look of distain appeared on Severus’ face; though Dumbledore was unsure as to what it was directed at the candies, himself, or just the situation itself. Selecting a candy and popping it into his mouth the two sat in an uncomfortable silence for a moment.

After several moments, the gravity of the Headmaster’s words had fully sunken it and Severus felt himself compelled to take ask another question. “Fine then, I could understand when Lily was alive, but not any longer.”

“Severus, can you truthfully tell me that you would have been able to rear an infant. An infant that you had no reason to believe was yours and resembled your least favorite schoolmate. At the time, I was not inclined to believe you were.” The older man said, his crystal blue gaze meeting onyx.

“We shall never know. What are your plans for the boy?” Severus said his voice becoming much more detached.

“Sadly, there is no changing the path Harry is currently headed. He must confront Tom and one of them shall perish in this battle. The best thing we can to for him is to ensure that he is well trained as possible for the final confrontation.”

“I see,” Severus said. “What part do you plan to have me play in this scheme, old man?”

“Scheme, Severus, really is that what you think of this?”

“With all of your plotting and planning, using people as if they were mere pawns on a chest board, yes, I believe that scheme would be an accurate way of describing your actions. Now, what is the part I am to play?”

“My dear Severus, I am saddened to find that it how you feel about this affair.” Dumbledore sat back in his chair. “As for what part you are to play, I am unable to tell you what that is to be. You must choose that for yourself Severus. Let your heart guide you.”

Severus let out a jaded scoff. “What exactly is my heart supposed to guide me to Albus?”

The corner of the Headmaster’s mouth tweaked upward ever so slightly. “I think you will know it when you see it Severus.”

A chime from an ancient grandfather clock broke the silence between the two wizards. Double checking the time on his pocket watch Dumbledore let out a sigh. “Unfortunately Severus we must continue this discussion at another time. I have a meeting with the Minister. I believe he may have found us a Defense Against the Dark Arts professor.”

The End.
End Notes:
Please let me know how you think I'm doing. Thank you!


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1604